Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 254 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 124 174 ... LastLast
Results 1,826 to 1,850 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Actually, a good deal of the films/series need not be all that expensive, at least as far as special effects are concerned. (Location shooting can be pretty pricey too, but I'd think the budget would cover that.) Most of the first two books are set in either a desert type environment or New York. No doubt there'd need to be effects work for the stuff under the mountains and maybe the Oracle scene and the doorways, but nothing over intensive depending on what route they take. The Oracle is pretty much invisible, for one thing.

The Waste Lands and Wolves of the Calla* I can see as being very effects intensive,particularly the Ludd scenes. I think it's well doable though as long a some creative thought is put into it.

I think it will always be pretty price if they keep to the 3 films-2 series format.

*If the even do that

Gunslinger Apprentice Slender is on a distinguished road

It's not just the special effects that concern me, but the props, the costumes, the sets, the actors' and technicians' salaries... generally speaking, cutting a film's budget will have a negative overall effect on its quality. I suppose the fact that Akiva Goldsman is being (forcibly) given a chance to rewrite the script may be a good thing – in the process of scaling down the budget, he may take the opportunity to make some modifications which will help the film overall.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.craveonline.com/film/arti...ain-eventually

The trials and tribulations of Ron Howard's ambitious production of Stephen King's The Dark Tower series, which intends to take the form of three movies and two television mini-series, calls to mind a scene from Monty Python & The Holy Grail, in which The King of Swamp Castle defended his poorly chosen building location: "When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up."

Yes, after sinking into its own swamp last weekend, when production shut down due to financial concerns, The Dark Tower is being built again, albeit slowly, later than originally planned and for a lot less money. Thanks to Deadline for the update. Universal Pictures have delayed production, which was supposed to begin this summer, all the way back to February of 2012. And even that's dependent on Howard trimming the franchise's unwieldy budget, which has yet to be disclosed, as near as we can tell. So this could still sink into the quagmire of development hell, or it could get made and make a lot of money. Or it could get made and suck intensely.

So what we're saying is... We have no idea what's going on. Ah, entertainment news. You gotta love it.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I kind of hope this doesn't get made now. Nothing good can come from this.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

Quote Originally Posted by Kidd Ikarus View Post
    Nothing good can come from a delay? The Hobbit has been delayed numerous times, and it still looks pretty good to me.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Hobbit was delayed because of an actor's strike. Its budget didn't get cut in half. And id love to know where you've "seen" anything other than reading an article here and there about progress and casting . . . So no I'm not talking about the delay, I figured its pretty obvious there's more important issues goin on right now.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

The Hobbit was actually delayed several times over the last few years, and budgetary concerns were the reason it didn't go into production last summer. I've been following its development closely ever since it was announced; in terms of visuals I've seen a ten-minute behind-the-scenes video, but more importantly I know that the creative team behind the project are enormously talented and that the casting has been spot-on so far.

As for The Dark Tower – I simply don't see how the announcement of an unspecified budget cut being made to the first (and cheapest) film could possibly dishearten you so much that you hope the entire project goes belly-up. Ron Howard knows a hell of a lot more about these films than we do (considering the fact that he's the one who's making them), and according to Ms Mod, he's still working hard to get them greenlit – it's clear that he still believes this film can be done right under the new circumstances. And if it is a success, budgetary increases for the following instalments may be granted (as was the case during the production of the Lord of the Rings trilogy).

Country
    Country Flag

You don't have to see it Slender. That's why its called "my opinion". Everytime I say anything in this thread you have a problem with it. So take your 10 minute behind the scenes video and your 'superior intellect' and shove them up your ass.

Id rather not see the dark tower made than have it turn into a piece of crap. I think that's simple enough for you to understand. Ron Howard made the Robert Langdon movies too and look how those turned out.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I just hope that if anyone associated with the project visits this site, they will see that some DT fans have not given up, are still trying to excercise some intellect, and are watching their dealings with interest.

You don't have to see it Slender. That's why its called "my opinion". Everytime I say anything in this thread you have a problem with it. So take your 10 minute behind the scenes video and your 'superior intellect' and shove them up your ass.
    Not sure why you're being rude; not sure where you got that 'superior intellect' quote; not sure why you're still talking about The Hobbit when you have already made it clear that I misinterpreted your earlier post, thinking that you were saying nothing good could come out of a delay when you were, in fact, saying that nothing good could come out of a budget cut. But whatever, I guess I'll just have to 'shove it up my ass'.

Id rather not see the dark tower made than have it turn into a piece of crap. I think that's simple enough for you to understand. Ron Howard made the Robert Langdon movies too and look how those turned out.
    I would also rather the Dark Tower remain a book than become a terrible film. I also think the Robert Langdon films are poor, and consider Ron Howard to be a bland and unappealing director. If you said that you did not want to see the Dark Tower filmed because you did not like the creative team involved, I could respect your viewpoint. What I cannot accept is your notion that a budget cut automatically means the film will be crap – it's such a sweeping generalisation that it couldn't possibly be true. There are bound to be some great films out there that suffered budget cuts at some point during their development.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Slender View Post
    Not sure why you're being rude; not sure where you got that 'superior intellect' quote; not sure why you're still talking about The Hobbit when you have already made it clear that I misinterpreted your earlier post, thinking that you were saying nothing good could come out of a delay when you were, in fact, saying that nothing good could come out of a budget cut. But whatever, I guess I'll just have to 'shove it up my ass'.

I would also rather the Dark Tower remain a book than become a terrible film. I also think the Robert Langdon films are poor, and consider Ron Howard to be a bland and unappealing director. If you said that you did not want to see the Dark Tower filmed because you did not like the creative team involved, I could respect your viewpoint. What I cannot accept is your notion that a budget cut automatically means the film will be crap – it's such a sweeping generalisation that it couldn't possibly be true. There are bound to be some great films out there that suffered budget cuts at some point during their development.

With all due respect, you two need to name a "Cage Match" venue and start selling tickets already!!!!! A fortune could be made!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

With all due respect, you two need to name a "Cage Match" venue and start selling tickets already!!!!! A fortune could be made!!!

I think that we're ALL missing the big picture:

why hasn't a necroscope movie been put into production yet?!
    WHY?!
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

I'd pay to see that and the necroscope movie. (as long as it wasn't a home video of someone's colonoscopy, there would have to plot, characters and you know, some gratuitous violence)
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

Along the Path of the Beam Cixelsyd is on a distinguished road

As for The Dark Tower – I simply don't see how the announcement of an unspecified budget cut being made to the first (and cheapest) film could possibly dishearten you so much that you hope the entire project goes belly-up. Ron Howard knows a hell of a lot more about these films than we do (considering the fact that he's the one who's making them), and according to Ms Mod, he's still working hard to get them greenlit – it's clear that he still believes this film can be done right under the new circumstances. And if it is a success, budgetary increases for the following instalments may be granted (as was the case during the production of the Lord of the Rings trilogy).
    I don't think they are just cutting the budget on the first film. The way I understand it, the series has to be funded as an entire package, which is why Universal is getting skiddish. They have to greenlight the entire story, Lord of the Rings style, and it's a huge gamble for them. Not sure where you are getting the idea that the budget increased for LOTR's later installments. They shot it all at once with a $285 million budget from the start. Add in two TV series and we are probably talking about a bet north of $300 million for Universal here.

I just don't see how it isn't shot all at once. You can't have Jake aging years in between movies and most actors won't commit to a series that takes years to shoot. They need to shoot everyhting up front in one long shoot to make it work, hence the massive budget.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm so down for a cage match.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

Along the Path of the Beam Doe is on a distinguished road Doe's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Meh, Im looking forward to it and will no doubt go to watch the movies on their advanced screenings. Budget cut or not.

Fuck Adumbros is on a distinguished road Adumbros's Avatar

My Mood
    Brooding

preach, my brother. hollywood does nothing but sodomize good works of art with their crackheaded and all-too-often abridged 'interpretations' anyway.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Adumbros View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidd [SIZE="6"
    Ikarus;611493]I kind of hope this doesn't get made now. Nothing good can come from this.
    preach, my brother. hollywood does nothing but sodomize good works of art with their crackheaded and all-too-often abridged 'interpretations' anyway.
    Sounds like both of you is preaching to the choir!

And I give the preaching a big AMEN!

My Mood
    Brooding

My frock is musty :\

Gunslinger Apprentice 19eye-rosecrow-gun is on a distinguished road 19eye-rosecrow-gun's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

HBO miniseries would be great because we could get the entire series uncut and it could go as long as they need to. I think this is the best option. The movie is apparently on a hiatus because universal decided the budget was too big. http://www.avclub.com/articles/unive...-the-da,56070/

My Mood
    Brooding

Quote Originally Posted by 19eye-rosecrow-gun View Post
    HBO miniseries would be great because we could get the entire series uncut and it could go as long as they need to. I think this is the best option. The movie is apparently on a hiatus because universal decided the budget was too big. http://www.avclub.com/articles/unive...-the-da,56070/
    this idea i could get behind. it worked out quite well with The Stand, and is probably the only viable answer if we expect something halfway decent in return for a well over 3000-page collective volume. altho my personal preference would be Showtime.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/new...ng-forward.php

Not too long ago there were reports floating around that some corporate reshuffling over at NBCUniversal was probably going to lead to their gigantic Dark Tower project being cancelled. Originally, the Stephen King novels were set to be adapted into three feature films and two series of television specials by director Ron Howard and screenwriter Akiva Goldsman, but in trying economic times putting so many eggs into one risky basket started looking like not so great an idea. Or maybe it didn’t. In an interview with Inside Movies, Howard is saying that the project just got pushed back a bit, but it’s still going to happen.

He explains, “We had to pull back to our September start date due to budget delays and ongoing story development and logistical issues, but Dark Tower is moving forward.”

So, at least according to the director, this project is still moving forward, but in what form? One thing that we can probably forget about is all of the casting rumors we’ve heard so far. Putting the project off makes it hard to predict whose schedule will be able to sync up with such an expansive project. Howard said, “We’re thinking of starting in early spring now. I can’t really say who’ll be in it yet, but Javier Bardem has shown a great deal of interest. We’ll know by the end of the summer… “

And what of the original plan to tell this story over both theatrically released features and television specials? Surely that part of the project is going to be at least scaled back, right? Howard doesn’t seem to think so. He adds, “There are elements of the Dark Tower saga that are more personal and can be best dealt with on television. TV allows you to roll out details of the characters in a more methodical way.”

I suppose this news can be taken in a number of ways. Fans who just want to see the series adapted can rejoice in the fact that it sounds like a big, sprawling take on the material is still going to happen. Those of us who aren’t too fond of the idea of Howard as the director can groan that he’s still attached to the project. And people who don’t read Stephen King can shrug their shoulders and say, “the dark what, now?”

Country
    Country Flag

Looks like we may get something interesting on October 1, according to Lilja:

http://www.liljas-library.com/article.php?id=2357

Got a note about this www.darktower.com today and I must say I'm intrigued.

If my calculations is correct the clock will reach cero on October 1st and since that is way to early for both the new book Wind Through the Keyhole and the movie I guess it's the launch for a Dark Tower site (for both book, movie and comic) that will launch when we reach cero.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

By my calculations the clock will reach zero on 9/19 at midnight.

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=78564

The Hollywood Reporter caught up with Tom Hanks' Playtone producing partner Gary Goetzman at the ScreenSingapore premiere of Larry Crowne, and they got the update on a number of projects their production company is developing including an adaptation of Neil Gaiman's best-selling novel "American Gods" as an HBO series. With Neil Gaiman on board as writer and executive producer, the HBO series based on his popular novel is being geared for six seasons of ten to twelve one-hour episodes and a budget of roughly $35 to 40 million per season with its debut planned for 2013. Goetzman said this on the project and the amount of FX necessary to bring it to television: "There are some crazy things in there. We'll probably be doing more effects in there than it's been done on a television series."
    So... HBO is willing to give six seasons of a television series to a single novel, yet NBC okays just three features and two seasons for an eight-book series plus the comics? Does not make sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 254 FirstFirst ... 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 124 174 ... LastLast