Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 241 of 254 FirstFirst ... 141 191 231 239 240 241 242 243 251 ... LastLast
Results 6,001 to 6,025 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

I contributed to that statistic this past weekend. I never actually got around to watching it in the theaters, but I figure I'll spend $20 to watch it on my couch and get all the extras that come with the blu-ray.

I think this shows how much the die-hards really want to like this movie and want to see them get it right. Even if it means starting over again.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

That is good I suppose. I don't have a burning desire to buy the DVD and have not yet. Being a fan of SK I will probably eventually buy it however if I do I don't plan on watching it again. This is not a passive aggressive protest I just didn't enjoy the movie enough to watch it again.

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Glad to hear/read it. Every little bit of support for this franchise matters.
    "Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    It does? What franchise? It is about as dead as it comes...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    I would disagree. This tells me that there is a significant number of people that still want to see this franchise do well. We are desperate for something to spend our money on. Hopefully the movie studio will look at this and realize that if they can make this much money on a movie that was considered "bad", just imagine how much they could make on a movie that's actually considered good.

It's been mentioned before that if done right, this has the potential to be the next LOTR or Harry Potter. The interest is there.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    I would disagree. This tells me that there is a significant number of people that still want to see this franchise do well. We are desperate for something to spend our money on. Hopefully the movie studio will look at this and realize that if they can make this much money on a movie that was considered "bad", just imagine how much they could make on a movie that's actually considered good.

It's been mentioned before that if done right, this has the potential to be the next LOTR or Harry Potter. The interest is there.
    The interest is there. I Totally agree wit that... BUT not in the work that was done here. And if you look at the numbers... it really wasn't a smash DVD hit. Just was no competition. It could be the next LOTR.. def NOT Potter... the DT is not geared at kids like that is. I would match this more up with Game of Thrones than anything... and that hit the mark cause it is good. And they used the TV medium which made for room. What we got last summer... is dead and no one cares. Not enough people anyways to make a difference.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well debuting at #1 by itself only means so much. The film debuted at the box office at #1 as well and it was still considered to be a bomb.

Looking at the other movies that came out on DVD at the same time as DT they didn't have a whole lot of high-level competition. There was a rerelease of Terminator 2 (a 26 year old film that's had a gazillion releases on DVD at this point) and Halle Berry's 'Kidnap'.

It's very rare for a film that flopped in theaters to become a big success on home video. Even the ones that do -- stuff like Blade Runner, Donnie Darko, Fight Club, etc -- usually end up becoming cult favorites as opposed to real mainstream successes (as the unfortunate flopping of the Blade Runner sequel can attest to).
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Well debuting at #1 by itself only means so much. The film debuted at the box office at #1 as well and it was still considered to be a bomb.

Looking at the other movies that came out on DVD at the same time as DT they didn't have a whole lot of high-level competition. There was a rerelease of Terminator 2 (a 26 year old film that's had a gazillion releases on DVD at this point) and Halle Berry's 'Kidnap'.

It's very rare for a film that flopped in theaters to become a big success on home video. Even the ones that do -- stuff like Blade Runner, Donnie Darko, Fight Club, etc -- usually end up becoming cult favorites as opposed to real mainstream successes (as the unfortunate flopping of the Blade Runner sequel can attest to).
    Ironically King's arguably best adaptation Shawshank (IT is my all top fav then this) was a flop at the theater... so i agree with you totally it is VERY rare.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was referring to the The Dark Tower IP outside of King's novels in general as opposed to specifically the recent live-action adaptation plus its proposed sequels.
    "Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

This been posted yet?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Beat me to it

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Watched the first 5 minutes and it's funny, and pretty much correct.

Country
    Country Flag

Is there a "How The Dark Tower should have ended" video as of yet?

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Heh. Really good point about the 'throwing shoe' bit. I felt he was way nitpicking a lot of those points though, but it was amusing, overall.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

#dogsbreakfast
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ironically King's arguably best adaptation Shawshank (IT is my all top fav then this) was a flop at the theater... so i agree with you totally it is VERY rare.
    Yeah it's and one of those things that probably couldn't happen today. Shawshank became one of the top-rented films of the year because Warner Bros shipped out a huge amount of rental copies. Nowadays with digital streaming when you can watch any film anytime and places like Blockbuster being a thing of the past. Also TNT was able to air the film for cheap so they aired it constantly which also helped quite a bit.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    #dogsbreakfast
    had to look this up, had no idea what it meant lol.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

#dogsbreakfast... haha

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

GUNSLINGER BURRITOS INSPIRED BY STEPHEN KING’S THE DARK TOWER

Who knew collard greens would be so difficult to find in Singapore? Well, now I do. I didn’t manage to procure them in the end, so the chefs at Mahota Commune recommended I substitute it with Swiss chard, and it turns out that these leafy greens with vibrantly coloured stems added a much-needed burst of colour to our otherwise innocuous-looking wraps.

The leaves form the most essential part of Cassandra Reeder’s Gunslinger Burrito recipe, which is inspired by Stephen King’s Dark Tower. Her recipe also used venison and chanterelle mushrooms, although she did make a note that I should be able to make any substitutions I like. I took her up on this and used beef and oyster mushrooms instead. I started with prepping the steak, since the recipe requires it to brine for an hour at room temperature. The mushrooms, green onions and garlic needed as trimmings can be prepared while waiting for the hour to pass, which is easy enough for any beginner cook—just chop them up and fry them. At the end of it, all I really needed to do was grill the meat and construct the “burrito”.

Serves 2 | Level: EASY | Total time: 1.5 hours

gunslinger burrito

8 ounces (225 g) venison backstrap or other lean game meat, trimmed and brought to room temperature
    19 pinches (1 tsp) salt
    1 tbsp lard or other animal fat
    ¼ cup (40 g) wild onion or 2 green onions, chopped
    1 tsp wild garlic or 1 clove regular garlic, minced
    1 cup (100 g) porcini or chanterelle mushrooms, sliced
    2 large collard green leaves, stems removed

Brine the venison by coating it with the salt and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour. Then shake off the salt and pat the steaks dry with a paper towel.
    Preheat the grill or a griddle to hot, then grill the steaks for 15–20 minutes or until medium to medium-rare. Test the steak using your fingers—if it’s too soft when you poke it, it’s not done, and if it’s hard when you poke it, it’s overdone. You want just a bit of give when you poke it. When done, let the steak rest.
    Melt the lard or other fat in a skillet on medium-high heat, then add the onions and garlic and sauté until they soften. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are brown and juicy.
    Now that the steak has rested, slice it into ½-inch (13 mm) slices.
    Now construct the Gunslinger Burrito. Take each collard green leaf and spread it out. Top with the sliced venison and the sautéed onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Roll up like a burrito and eat like a gunslinger!

Country
    Country Flag

Grape leaves also work :-).

https://imgur.com/gallery/r5eRx

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    GUNSLINGER BURRITOS INSPIRED BY STEPHEN KING’S THE DARK TOWER

Who knew collard greens would be so difficult to find in Singapore? Well, now I do. I didn’t manage to procure them in the end, so the chefs at Mahota Commune recommended I substitute it with Swiss chard, and it turns out that these leafy greens with vibrantly coloured stems added a much-needed burst of colour to our otherwise innocuous-looking wraps.

The leaves form the most essential part of Cassandra Reeder’s Gunslinger Burrito recipe, which is inspired by Stephen King’s Dark Tower. Her recipe also used venison and chanterelle mushrooms, although she did make a note that I should be able to make any substitutions I like. I took her up on this and used beef and oyster mushrooms instead. I started with prepping the steak, since the recipe requires it to brine for an hour at room temperature. The mushrooms, green onions and garlic needed as trimmings can be prepared while waiting for the hour to pass, which is easy enough for any beginner cook—just chop them up and fry them. At the end of it, all I really needed to do was grill the meat and construct the “burrito”.

Serves 2 | Level: EASY | Total time: 1.5 hours

gunslinger burrito

8 ounces (225 g) venison backstrap or other lean game meat, trimmed and brought to room temperature
    19 pinches (1 tsp) salt
    1 tbsp lard or other animal fat
    ¼ cup (40 g) wild onion or 2 green onions, chopped
    1 tsp wild garlic or 1 clove regular garlic, minced
    1 cup (100 g) porcini or chanterelle mushrooms, sliced
    2 large collard green leaves, stems removed

Brine the venison by coating it with the salt and set aside at room temperature for 1 hour. Then shake off the salt and pat the steaks dry with a paper towel.
    Preheat the grill or a griddle to hot, then grill the steaks for 15–20 minutes or until medium to medium-rare. Test the steak using your fingers—if it’s too soft when you poke it, it’s not done, and if it’s hard when you poke it, it’s overdone. You want just a bit of give when you poke it. When done, let the steak rest.
    Melt the lard or other fat in a skillet on medium-high heat, then add the onions and garlic and sauté until they soften. Add the mushrooms and cook until they are brown and juicy.
    Now that the steak has rested, slice it into ½-inch (13 mm) slices.
    Now construct the Gunslinger Burrito. Take each collard green leaf and spread it out. Top with the sliced venison and the sautéed onions, garlic, and mushrooms. Roll up like a burrito and eat like a gunslinger!
    If you touch your thumb and middle finger together and press down (with your other hand) on the fleshy part of your hand at the base of your thumb, that is how your steak should feel if its med-rare! Sounds to me like this burrito needs a little melted cheese, like a spicy cheddar...

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I always thought "gunslinger burritos" was a sexual thing.

Maybe I should rethink the whole investment in "tortilla condoms" and "spicy " lube.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Gotta love where this thread has gone to
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Country
    Country Flag

Tortilla flavoured... not sure it would take off.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lookwhoitis View Post
    #dogsbreakfast
    had to look this up, had no idea what it meant lol.
    It is an English idiom, also used by other colonies of the British Empire. I picked it up from an Aussie mate of mine.

My personal definition tends to be a little darker than the one on the internet, which is pretty much "a complete mess, mish-mash, hodgepodge or something that has gone very badly where the outcome wasn’t what was intended to be"

You see a dog is such a opportunist of an omnivore that he will eat his own vomit. Lap it up right after he puked it up like it was ham & eggs or something. While humans view this behavior in horror (although some of our eating habits and what we put in our bodies are kind of vile too, lol) a dog looks at it as a great boon (kind of like the hobbit "SECOND BREAKFAST" quip from the LOTR films) and will normally eat it right back up even if he has to do it with a sheepish look on his face if he knows he is not supposed to do it (a rule imposed by a human master... a dog would NEVER have second thoughts about enjoying a "second breakfast")

I'm not trying to characterize folks who enjoyed this film as actual canids who are consuming their own spew, but more the personal degree of disgust that I felt with the adaptation of my favorite story and property, which was evident that it would most probably be a failure from very far off.

Here is an interesting article I pulled up in googling the phrase too:

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/03/07/ma...breakfast.html
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

+ Reply to Thread