Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 230 of 254 FirstFirst ... 130 180 220 228 229 230 231 232 240 ... LastLast
Results 5,726 to 5,750 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well everyone has different tastes*, and ideas concerning what makes a good film, don't they? ** Roll on the 18th when I find out which tet I'm in.

*Says Sai Statedeobvious.

** which isn't always the same thing. I've enjoyed films which are technically bad. I'd rather The Dark Tower were not in that category.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    ... at some point, completely changing the nature of the characters' relationship means you are filming YOUR story; not the author's story.
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Yeah you've nailed how I feel on this ...
    Huh. I just came in, expecting that old fans of TMIB who for years complained that SK broke some implied promise in his books for Roland and Walter to have an ultimate showdown would be saying just positive things about this movie. It's interesting if you had a change of perspective since last we met. Otherwise, I'll have to figure out what the precise difference is between an onscreen remake and online criticism, and if the former is so negative, what purpose the latter could ever have, anyway.

Traveler Mystery Train is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    Well everyone has different tastes*, and ideas concerning what makes a good film, don't they? ** Roll on the 18th when I find out which tet I'm in.

*Says Sai Statedeobvious.

** which isn't always the same thing. I've enjoyed films which are technically bad. I'd rather The Dark Tower were not in that category.
    True. And I can understand and respect that some people will be entertained by this movie. 1. The mash-ups of different genres and characters are fairly unique, and if you haven't read the books, it will be fresh. 2. All the actors did fine work. I would argue that McConaughey is the brightest spot in that regard (for me, surprisingly so). 3. If you have read the books it is fun to figure out which threads they are tying together while watching it and spotting the Easter eggs. That was my favorite part of the experience. 4. If you are easily entertained, and the sort of person who simply likes to go to the theater, eat popcorn and bliss out watching monsters and vampires get shot up and see some cool dude save the world, then this is better than 75% of the superhero/transformers/sci-fi crap that is usually out in the summer.

That being said, the reason I am massively disappointed is that for me, the DT books deserve so much more than "better than Transformers." And there are plenty of glimpses of how good that movie could have been in little scenes here and there. King created this universe of spectacular scope, completely unique landscapes filled with magic and haunting, yet the movie does so little to transport the viewer into a different land and place. There are snippets of it, just enough to get your attention, but then it falls back into tiresome exposition and close-ups of faces exchanging dull dialogue. Part of King's excellence as a writer is in the dialogue and language of the characters, and I would argue that almost none of that was translated into this movie. And the whole production feels rushed and uninspired. Oh, and the music sucked.

But hey, maybe I expect too much from Hollywood . . .

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked it. Tons of hidden nods. The showdown between Roland and RF is by no means a finally. After the credits role you can hear him whistling, a tell that he "will be back". Not sure why all the hate. This is only a small opening into the world of dark tower and of what i believe will be a great visual connection of Kings work at large over the long hall. The new hope was a great movie but not the best star wars of the series. I would argue that it became an even better movie in retrospect to seeing the rest of the series.
    thumbs up from me.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I loved all the King easter eggs throughout the film.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed the movie. Plan on seeing it again sometime this week.

Roland and Jake were bad ass.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I enjoyed the movie. Plan on seeing it again sometime this week.

Roland and Jake were bad ass.
    If (and I know it's a big if) they do end up doing more films, I hope they do them soon enough for the same actor to portray Jake before he gets too much older. After seeing the movie a second time, I am even more in love with his performance. He nailed it. Fucking nailed it.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Huh. I just came in, expecting that old fans of TMIB who for years complained that SK broke some implied promise in his books for Roland and Walter to have an ultimate showdown would be saying just positive things about this movie.
    Because I wanted it to happen in the books. The only way for King to rectify what he did is to write another book that gives R.F. the sendoff he deserves (maybe a sequel to Eyes of the Dragon? He's able to write the continuing adventures of Holly Gibney but apparently following up on EotD is too much to ask...). Anything short of that means nothing to me.

And from what I've heard
    Spoiler:
    the "ultimate showdown" in this movie is half-assed. And even a good confrontation wouldn't make up for everything else the film does wrong.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough BuctherOfTull will become famous soon enough

Anybody else think Michael Rooker should play Cort in the show? That would be fun. Hahaha

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Director's cut for the blu-ray?

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/fea...quels-spoilers
    CS: Is there more stuff on the cutting room floor?

Arcel: I think there’s like, five or six little scenes, but they’re all going to be on the DVD, on the deleted scenes. I think the fat cut or whatever it’s called was maybe 10 or 12 minutes longer or something like that. But that’s very usual. I mean, I’ve had early cuts that were like, a half an hour longer or something. So this was always kind of tight, yeah.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Peaches Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn will become famous soon enough Telynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Director's cut for the blu-ray?

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/fea...quels-spoilers
    CS: Is there more stuff on the cutting room floor?

Arcel: I think there’s like, five or six little scenes, but they’re all going to be on the DVD, on the deleted scenes. I think the fat cut or whatever it’s called was maybe 10 or 12 minutes longer or something like that. But that’s very usual. I mean, I’ve had early cuts that were like, a half an hour longer or something. So this was always kind of tight, yeah.
    Here is what caught my eye from that interview.

CS: Or did you? Yeah, I know. He really can’t be killed, can he?

Arcel: We are going into spoiler territory. I think it’s fair to say that the Man in Black will return, yeah. He’s the main, he’s THE villain. If we had really wanted to kill him off for good, it would’ve been a bigger moment, and I think it was almost like, “Did he die? Did he not?” I don’t know. For me, he certainly didn’t. He is in the later installments of the novels, so yeah.

So.... yeah. I guess All Hail The Crimson King is just some weird graffiti.

Country
    Country Flag

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Saw the movie today and absolutely hated it. Jake didn't have a messenger bag in the book OR wear Vans. Plus, the dust in Mid-World wasn't even the right color. Not to mention that Roland NEVER eats a hot dog. WORST. ADAPTATION. EVER.

Not.

I actually really enjoyed it. I'm not sure why critics (and members here) are acting as if Arcel burnt down an orphanage or somemthing. Was it a strict adaptation? Definitely not. Did it retain the spirit of the novels (especially the bond between Jake and Roland)? Hell yes. Elba and Taylor killed it (I got chills when Roland was teaching Jake to shoot) and McConaughey was great as a darkly comic Walter.

As for cons, I wasn't a fan of the editing. The way the story is structured in the beginning third was definitely sloppy and jarring. The ending was also a little too abrupt for me. Kind of like...that's it?

Quote Originally Posted by Telynn View Post
    I agree with what some others have said about the ending. Would have been nice to have some reason to go back to Mid-world. Maybe Roland should mention that the tower is still in danger?
    I agree. I feel like the Tower wasn't as a critical aspect of the movie as it should've been. I'm cool with Roland's desire for revenge against the Man in Black overriding his desire for info. about the Tower, but I think there should've been something (even quick) along the lines of, "The tower's still in danger...but our ka-tet is not yet complete." That way we'd at least have some kind of segue into Drawing. If they had already cast Eddie and Susannah, a great final scene would've been to do a quick minute on each of these "strangers" having visions of Roland similar to Jake.

Oh, I DID like the comment from Roland about how the animals 'still talk'. Hope for Oy someday.
    I loved that line! Also when Roland was in the hospital and gave the doctor some coins with a, "for your services." Made me laugh out loud.

Anyone else catch the Tet Corporation in the opening credits?
    Loved this! Definitely an Easter egg for book fans.

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    There was almost no hint of the high speech. I only recall hearing one "sai" and it was from one of the "village people".

For me, this was "A" Dark Tower movie, not "THE" Dark Tower movie.[/SPOILER]
    For me at least (even in the books) high speech is best in small doses. But I do agree with you that this was more "a" DT movie.

Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post
    The showdown between Roland and RF is by no means a finally. After the credits role you can hear him whistling, a tell that he "will be back". Not sure why all the hate. This is only a small opening into the world of dark tower and of what i believe will be a great visual connection of Kings work at large over the long hall.
    Definitely. I heard the whistling too. Even if you don't hear it, though, there's no way the viewer can think he's dead.

And I really enjoyed Roland vs. MIB. I didn't think I would from the trailers, but it played better in the context of the full movie.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Country
    Country Flag

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I was able to interview Idris Elba last week

Wanted list:
    Ubris

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Saw the movie today and absolutely hated it. Jake didn't have a messenger bag in the book OR wear Vans. Plus, the dust in Mid-World wasn't even the right color. Not to mention that Roland NEVER eats a hot dog. WORST. ADAPTATION. EVER.

Not.

I actually really enjoyed it. I'm not sure why critics (and members here) are acting as if Arcel burnt down an orphanage or somemthing. Was it a strict adaptation? Definitely not. Did it retain the spirit of the novels (especially the bond between Jake and Roland)? Hell yes. Elba and Taylor killed it (I got chills when Roland was teaching Jake to shoot) and McConaughey was great as a darkly comic Walter.

As for cons, I wasn't a fan of the editing. The way the story is structured in the beginning third was definitely sloppy and jarring. The ending was also a little too abrupt for me. Kind of like...that's it?

I agree with what some others have said about the ending. Would have been nice to have some reason to go back to Mid-world. Maybe Roland should mention that the tower is still in danger?
    I agree. I feel like the Tower wasn't as a critical aspect of the movie as it should've been. I'm cool with Roland's desire for revenge against the Man in Black overriding his desire for info. about the Tower, but I think there should've been something (even quick) along the lines of, "The tower's still in danger...but our ka-tet is not yet complete." That way we'd at least have some kind of segue into Drawing. If they had already cast Eddie and Susannah, a great final scene would've been to do a quick minute on each of these "strangers" having visions of Roland similar to Jake.

Oh, I DID like the comment from Roland about how the animals 'still talk'. Hope for Oy someday.
    I loved that line! Also when Roland was in the hospital and gave the doctor some coins with a, "for your services." Made me laugh out loud.

Anyone else catch the Tet Corporation in the opening credits?
    Loved this! Definitely an Easter egg for book fans.

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    There was almost no hint of the high speech. I only recall hearing one "sai" and it was from one of the "village people".

For me, this was "A" Dark Tower movie, not "THE" Dark Tower movie.[/SPOILER]
    For me at least (even in the books) high speech is best in small doses. But I do agree with you that this was more "a" DT movie.

Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post
    The showdown between Roland and RF is by no means a finally. After the credits role you can hear him whistling, a tell that he "will be back". Not sure why all the hate. This is only a small opening into the world of dark tower and of what i believe will be a great visual connection of Kings work at large over the long hall.
    Definitely. I heard the whistling too. Even if you don't hear it, though, there's no way the viewer can think he's dead.

And I really enjoyed Roland vs. MIB. I didn't think I would from the trailers, but it played better in the context of the full movie.
    Glad to see there is a bit of balance coming to this discussion. I am with you!

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Brilliant!

Demon of the Prim TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack is a name known to all TravelinJack's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nice
    "Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes they win." - SK

WTB:
    - S/L 'Storm Front' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)
    - S/L 'Fool Moon' Jim Butcher (Subterranean Press)

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry guys: I liked the film. Yes, it took some rather wild liberties with the source material and the relatively short runtime meant that certain portions of the exposition were more obvious in nature than they should have been. However...the gunplay was terrific, Elba turned in a solid PG-13 Roland Deschain (that scene in the hospital where he interacted with the doctor perfectly epitomized his no-nonsense nature), the word-magic of Walter felt proper "old school sorcerer", the soundtrack was engaging and Mid-World genuinely felt otherworldy. I am interested in seeing where the franchise goes from here...if it indeed goes anywhere. Regardless, I shall be obtaining a copy of The Dark Tower on Blu-Ray whenever it hits the shelves.

Not to mention that Roland NEVER eats a hot dog. WORST. ADAPTATION. EVER.
    In fact, Roland does nibble on a "dog" during The Drawing of the Three. Ah...were you poking fun at fans* that misremember certain details of the story?

* I'm looking at you, "Where is Roland's hat?" crowd.
    "Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."

Not.

When I first started to read your review, I was like "What? He told me he liked it." I felt such a crushing disappointment for a moment there. haha

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    In fact, Roland does nibble on a "dog" during The Drawing of the Three. Ah...were you poking fun at fans* that misremember certain details of the story?
    No, I was poking fun at the "fans" who are tearing the movie to pieces because not ever minute detail is the same. I had a feeling someone would say he did have a hot dog somewhere in the series. I couldn't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post

When I first started to read your review, I was like "What? He told me he liked it." I felt such a crushing disappointment for a moment there. haha
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Along the Path of the Beam brethren will become famous soon enough

Amidst a sea of negativity about the movie, here's a least a quick tidbit that gives me some hope for the TV series:

Per Deadline, recent exit polls for The Dark Tower included a question about whether fans who’d just watched it would be up for a TV version covering similar material. Apparently, a whopping 83 percent of respondents said yes, and what’s interesting here is that that answer had no correlation whatsoever with what they actually thought of the film.
    http://www.avclub.com/article/dark-t...-survey-259202

+ Reply to Thread
Page 230 of 254 FirstFirst ... 130 180 220 228 229 230 231 232 240 ... LastLast