Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 254 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73 74 75 83 123 173 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,825 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I reiterate: those pox ridden money grubbing sisterfucking cowardly weedeaters

carl gets it
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's still early yet. It could still go either way... and another studio may get on board.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Predictably, they may be waiting to see how "Cowboys vs Aliens" does at the box office. Hollywood is fickle that way. My bet is that C vs A will do well and they will shoot money at TDT at that point as if from a cannon!!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm really starting to wonder if it wouldn't be a better world without a DT movie. Please don't hate as this is just my opinion.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I'm really starting to wonder if it wouldn't be a better world without a DT movie. Please don't hate as this is just my opinion.

Actually, at this juncture, you make an extremely salient point!!!!!! it ain't looking good!!!!!!!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice EvaH will become famous soon enough EvaH's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Michael Biehn's name is no longer listed on IMDB's cast list.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1648190/

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I think that may be the less stressful option

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Given the quality of most of the movies made from King's works, I've always had my doubts about a DT movie anyway, so...

John

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Thread: "Universal is run by schmucks ..."
    Um... Newsflash: every company in America is run by schmucks.
    Well, no, it wouldn't be a better world... but maybe this world just isn't good enough for it.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Given the quality of most of the movies made from King's works, I've always had my doubts about a DT movie anyway, so...

John
    hear, hear

... and what Mike said, too...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wasn't keen on the idea of a movie production either.

Then I saw the films+series idea, and I though... hang on... they might have something here...

I'll admit I was rather looking forward to it after that. Part of me (a big part of me) still is, but this setback reminds me that there's another part of me that wouldn't mind it remaining just a literary world.

Gunslinger Apprentice Slender is on a distinguished road

It turns out the Michael Biehn casting was fake. Yesterday I read a thread in the IMDb forums where some obsessive Biehn fanboy kept declaring that the actor had been cast in the man in black but staunchly refused to cite any sources other than IMDb. The others in the thread speculated that the fanboy was the one who had fabricated the rumour and added it to the page, and I suspect they were right. However, Norman Reedus's response certainly seems to imply that he has had some sort of contact with the filmmakers.

I'm deeply disappointed by this. Not as much as I would be if a talented writer and or/director were in charge (namely Frank Darabont), but this is still pretty crushing. Ron Howard and co have nailed the casting so far in my opinion – Javier Bardem as Roland would be a dream come true for me, and I'll be devastated if this delay forces him to drop out and pursue other roles after coming so close. Universal can rot in hell for killing The Dark Tower, and even moreso for killing Guillermo del Toro's At the Mountains of Madness, which promised to be a real masterpiece. On the bright side... if Warner Bros end up co-financing the project, we just might get some sort of crossover between The Dark Tower and their upcoming adaptation of The Stand.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Actually, at this juncture, you make an extremely salient point!!!!!! it ain't good looking good!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am starting to agree. Making a DT movie seems like a bunch of trouble!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-ent...ins-of-madness

You may have read that the adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower was going to be a three part theatrical series directed by Ron Howard, with a TV mini-series in-between films to bridge the gap.

This is certain an interesting idea that hasn't been done before, and an exciting roll of the dice, a la The Lord of the Rings series.

What is holding up The Dark Tower & Mountains of Madness? Well, now all bets are off with the reports coming in through Deadline and The Hollywood Reporter that The Dark Tower has been put on hold, something which Ron Howard's production company denies. 

Word came down on May 5 that the budget for the series was too high, and it was budget issues that also brought the movie version of Halo, and Guillermo Del Toro's adaptation of H.P. Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness, his dream project of many years, to a halt at Universal as well.

Reports have also said that Universal paid $5 million for the rights, and the studio would have to pay a $10 million penalty if the project goes into turnaround.

Del Toro has already moved on to another project, Pacific Rim, and when Halo fell apart, Neill Blomkamp moved on to his acclaimed debut, District 9. 

The Halo project that Blomkamp was going to direct with Peter Jackson producing officially died several years ago, with a huge budget that couldn't be brought down, and control issues between Jackson and Microsoft that couldn't be resolved. (Stuart Beattie, screenwriter of Pirates of the Carribean and Collateral, even tried a one man crusade to launch his own Halo movie years ago, writing a script on spec even before approaching Microsoft about the rights.)

Where Del Toro wanted to launch what would be a major, epic horror film in 3-D, The Dark Tower, like Rings, is more in the fantasy realm, but still a major gamble, for the company. Rumor has it Universal has also sank a lot of money into Battleship, the big screen adaptation of the famous board game, which could also explain their wariness with both Tower and Madness. 

As ace entertainment reporter Michael Fleming has also pointed out, putting up $150 million for an R rated Madness was a tough pill to swallow, because very few R rated movies have made $500 million dollars that Universal would have to make to make a profit.

"What is really dramatic to me is that most decisions are now being taken by comps, and charts, and target quadrants," Del Toro told Fleming.

"Marketers and accountants seem to be running things and less and less and less of the decisions are in the hands of filmmakers." 

And perhaps this is why when Halo fell apart, something like Land of the Lost may have looked like a better business plan on paper to GE, but it was a major disaster at the box office (being a long time Sid and Marty Krofft fan who was dying for a Land of the Lost movie for decades, that was a tough one for me).

What brought Madness to a halt, even with the star power of Tom Cruise and James Cameron on as a producer, was Universal wanted a PG-13 rating, and Del Toro thinks it could get that rating, but even without nudity, gore, or profanity on Don't Be Afraid of the Dark, which Del Toro produced, it still got an R for being too intense. 

He told Deadline with Mountains, "I do not want it to be bloody, I do not want it to be crass, but I want it to be as intense as possible."

With The Dark Tower, there's also been speculation Tower will go to Warner Brothers if Universal decides to pass, and there will certainly be more news soon wherever things end up landing.

If The Dark Tower, and The Stand, which has also been announced as a several feature series, go forward, both could be exciting and risky King adaptations that couldn't have been done before Lord of the Rings, whatever studio is ready to take them on, and Madness could also be the big epic horror film genre fans, and Del Toro himself, have been waiting for.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I see where Del Toro is coming from, but damn, how about not making the movie for $150 million then?

Del Toro seriously knows how to make his money go far – Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy II both look and feel much more expensive than they actually were. If he says he needs a minumum of $150 million to fulfil his vision for Lovecraft's universe, I believe him.

Along the Path of the Beam Cixelsyd is on a distinguished road

So Universal is balking on DT and Madness because they spent too much on... Battleship the Movie? Seriously?

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cixelsyd View Post
    So Universal is balking on DT and Madness because they spent too much on... Battleship the Movie? Seriously?
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Slender View Post
    Del Toro seriously knows how to make his money go far – Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy II both look and feel much more expensive than they actually were. If he says he needs a minumum of $150 million to fulfil his vision for Lovecraft's universe, I believe him.
    Okay...well, now there's no movie...so maybe he could have figured a way to do it for $75 mil. But these guys don't care...it's not their money, anyhow.

It would have been a great movie...I was looking forward to it at least, if not more, than the DT series.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Okay...well, now there's no movie...so maybe he could have figured a way to do it for $75 mil. But these guys don't care...it's not their money, anyhow.

It would have been a great movie...I was looking forward to it at least, if not more, than the DT series.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say 'there's no movie' – it might not be made for a few years, but considering del Toro's determination, I think we'll see Mountains of Madness eventually. I'd rather the R-rated $150 million version in five or six years than the PG-13 $75 million version now. I've read the leaked script, and it's packed with massive set pieces and huge amounts of special effects – this isn't a film that could be done on the cheap. The characters are also far more developed, and del Toro wanted big-name actors for them – Tom Cruise, Liam Neeson, Hugh Jackman. Personally I thought it was a better read than the novella; when I hear 'At the Mountains of Madness', it's what happened in the script that comes to my mind, not what happened in the book. I'd kill to see the film now (it does indeed have a much better chance of being great cinema than The Dark Tower), but if we have to wait for all the stars to align, so be it – as long as it eventually gets made.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

'Dark Tower' to Stay at Universal with Lower Budget
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...iversal-188326

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

this is driving me nuts!!!!!

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/univ...o-trim-budget/
    Me too! And according to this article Universal must greenlight the film by July, or the rights revert back to the author and the filmmakers.

Is there any word on how much the budget is being cut? The Dark Tower can't be done on the cheap either...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 73 of 254 FirstFirst ... 23 63 71 72 73 74 75 83 123 173 ... LastLast