Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 237 of 254 FirstFirst ... 137 187 227 235 236 237 238 239 247 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,925 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Why? I would think we would want whoever is the best actor for the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Isamu Dyson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    What difference would that make?

Just so long as young Roland keeps the same general melanin count.
    In other words: whomever is playing Roland ought to look somewhat like a young Idris Elba.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

In other words: whomever is playing Roland ought to look somewhat like a young Idris Elba.
    Bald?

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Nah
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Of course. However, given that live-action Roland is now established as looking like Idris Elba, it makes sense that teenage Roland would appear somewhat like him.
    "Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I suppose. However if the television show is ever made I don't think the movie will hold much if any weight with the potential audience. Maybe I'm very jaded but the movie didn't bring much character development or world building and certainly didn't hit on my curiosity about a continuation of the story. It would be better served to change into a stand alone television show at this point.

Of course. However, given that live-action Roland is now established as looking like Idris Elba, it makes sense that teenage Roland would appear somewhat like him.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

It's too bad that Idris Elba starred in that abortion of a film. He's a great actor. For multiple reasons it just didn't work. It is time for a total reboot and a new Roland
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Traveler Keith1974 will become famous soon enough

If a prospective TV series is going to start from scratch with a new creative team, there's no point in keeping Roland black just to keep a link with the movie. The movie has picked up NO fans, so there's no demographic to satisfy, and to be honest, I would want to see Roland played by a white actor to (a) stay true to the Man-With-No-Name pop-culture archetype that was invoked by the books, and (b) keep the racial tension that Odetta/Detta/Susannah brings to their interactions. In a nutshell, I want to see a Roland influenced by those original books that are the reason why we're here, as opposed to a revisionist Roland meant to satisfy current standards of political correctness.

And I still honestly believe that one of the motives for casting Elba was that they feared being hit with the racism tag for having eliminated Susannah from the story.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Keith1974 View Post
    And I still honestly believe that one of the motives for casting Elba was that they feared being hit with the racism tag for having eliminated Susannah from the story.
    They said from the beginning Suz and Eddie would have shown up in a future film.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Apprentice Isamu Dyson will become famous soon enough Isamu Dyson's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The movie has picked up NO fans
    [citation needed]

as opposed to a revisionist Roland meant to satisfy current standards of political correctness.
    http://tinyurl.com/ybsqjteg

What CyberGhostface said ^.
    "Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

[citation needed]
    Well probably not a whole lot at least. There was minimal fanfare or crossover appeal with this and the reaction was almost overwhelmingly negative from nearly everyone who saw it.

If they waited five years and started from scratch I doubt most people would care.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    [citation needed]
    Well probably not a whole lot at least. There was minimal fanfare or crossover appeal with this and the reaction was almost overwhelmingly negative from nearly everyone who saw it.

If they waited five years and started from scratch I doubt most people would care.
    I know that critics were especially critical, but average Joes and Janes were much more appreciative. The rating figures I see in regards to the majority of the moviegoing public hover around the 60 to 63% mark. Not great and not terrible. More like...generally mediocre.

By the way, did you ever share your thoughts on the film after you watched it?

Country
    Country Flag

Haven't seen it yet. Don't know if I'll see it in theaters at this point. I'll see it eventually I suppose one way or another.

My Collection

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My eldest daughter (14)came home, "dad my friend saw TDT yesterday... He thought it was crap".. now she hasn't seen but already doesn't want to read the books! This film has ruined the chance of lots of young readers meeting the Ka-tet for real... Such a shame

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Just a "save the boy" movie.

Disappointed
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

Disappointed
    Wasn't aware that that's a genre- but that hits the spot perfectly

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah..."Rescue movie."
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Priest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

Disappointed
    Wasn't aware that that's a genre- but that hits the spot perfectly

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
    I'm curious... wouldn't Roland saving the boy be exactly the point of the final loop?

I do get what you mean though but at the same time, there's obviously more going on.

As for new readers not reading DT books...oh well, that doesn't change their quality or relevance to my life. I did see five (yes, five) different editions of The Gunslinger at Chapters last night so someone must be buying them.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

As of Sep. 4th, the Dark Tower has crossed the 100mil international mark...

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=darktower.htm

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I finally saw the film yesterday. While it would have e been nice if they had made it closer to the novels (and I'm not sure I accept this is the
    Spoiler:
    final loop
    ) I enjoyed it.

So, it could have been so much more, but I thought it was okay, for what it was.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post

Is this good news, bad news, neutral news, or...?

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    I finally saw the film yesterday. While it would have e been nice if they had made it closer to the novels (and I'm not sure I accept this is the
    Spoiler:
    final loop
    ) I enjoyed it.

So, it could have been so much more, but I thought it was okay, for what it was.
    If the cinematic/televised series continues to build on what we saw in the film, let us hope that the creative minds helming the project considerably expand plus improve upon the foundation.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would think they would about break even at that point. Good but not too good, I guess.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    Spoiler:
    final loop
    ) I enjoyed it.

If the cinematic/televised series continues to build on what we saw in the film, let us hope that the creative minds helming the project considerably expand plus improve upon the foundation.
    Dude... Dark Tower movies are done. DEAD. It sucks... but it is true. Perhaps a new direction with a show but the movies are done.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Right.

There's a way open for something good DT-wise in the future (let's hope they learned from this film and don't piss it away).
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Country
    Country Flag

Meanwhile It looks it's going to break that domestically on opening weekend.

And that movie is R and over two hours long. Whodathunk a lengthy R-rated film based on a Stephen King novel could do well?

(And yes I know It has inherent advantages over DT but still.)

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post

Meanwhile It looks it's going to break that domestically on opening weekend.

And that movie is R and over two hours long. Whodathunk a lengthy R-rated film based on a Stephen King novel could do well?

(And yes I know It has inherent advantages over DT but still.)
    Kind of like comparing apples and zucchini here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 237 of 254 FirstFirst ... 137 187 227 235 236 237 238 239 247 ... LastLast