Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Do you want a Dark Tower filmed adaptaion?

Voters
114. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

86 75.44%
  • No

28 24.56%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 244 of 254 FirstFirst ... 144 194 234 242 243 244 245 246 ... LastLast
Results 6,076 to 6,100 of 6338

Thread: The Dark Tower series filmed adaptation

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    http://ew.com/tv/2018/06/12/the-dark...ive-at-amazon/
    Against all odds, The Dark Tower TV series still has a pulse.

Last summer, a film adaptation of Stephen King’s enduring fantasy Western series hit theaters. It starred Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey as gunslinger Roland Deschain and his nemesis, the Man in Black, two mythical figures warring over the fate of a grand structure that upholds nothing less than the universe itself.

The movie pulled ideas from several of King’s eight Dark Tower books, while also serving as something of a sequel to the series. And more pressingly, it was — put lightly — an unmitigated garbage fire for Sony Pictures, earning roundly terrible reviews and underperforming at the box office.

Such a grim result seemed at the time to pour cold water all over previously established plans to follow The Dark Tower with sequels and a related TV series. (The TV series was originally developed by MRC and eventually made its way to Amazon.)

In a recent interview with Deadline Hollywood, however, Amazon Studios head Jennifer Salke revealed that the company’s efforts to craft a small-screen take on The Dark Tower aren’t over yet.

“Those are scripts that I haven’t gotten yet,” said Salke, responding to a question about long-in-development propositions including an adaptation of fantasy series The Wheel of Time as well as Dark Tower. “I’ll be seeing those, that material, in the coming weeks. None of those things are dead. They’re very much alive.”

There you have it — King acolytes may have a return to Mid-World to look forward to. Former Walking Dead showrunner Glen Mazzara was announced as the showrunner at one point, on a series that would pull heavily from King’s Wizard & Glass and focus on telling the origin story of Elba’s gunslinger. No word on whether Dark Tower director Nikolaj Arcel remains involved, or whether once-hatched plans to have Elba, Tom Taylor, and Dennis Haysbert reprise roles from the film still stand.

Our guess? Amazon will go back to the drawing board, and in doing so distance the series from last year’s Dark Tower. Even before the movie arrived (and flopped), King was alluding to the idea that Amazon’s series could tell a completely different story. “We’ll see what happens with that,” King said at the time. “It would be like a complete reboot, so we’ll just have to see.”

Not for nothing, but this could be an Amazon answer to "Westworld", no?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Traveler Keith1974 will become famous soon enough

I hope they take some time developing this before pulling the trigger, and put together a creative team and cast that will respect the original vision of the novels while selling it to a mainstream audience-------which the movie failed miserably at doing. There hasn't been a more opportune time, because material like GAME OF THRONES and WESTWORLD has proved that audiences want "fantasy-world-building" and deep long-form storytelling.
    They just need to ignore the movie and start from scratch, because it'll probably be a liability to attracting viewers--------"It's based on that shitty movie with the whining kid? Never mind."

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah at this point I really don't trust the powers that be to handle this after the lack of respect they showed towards the source material. Get Mike Flanagan or Frank Darabont to handle this.

Also I know this is almost a year old but I was looking at the old AMA with Arcel...

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comm...sk_me/dkg705x/

"The overall idea is that Roland is lacking Khef at the beginning of his journey and that Char is guiding him, we've made that a bit stronger."

What, Roland is guided by death now?
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Amazon Studios is set to move ahead with production on their adaptation of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower books. The series, which will be comprised of 13 one-hour episodes, will be executive produced by a team of huge names led by Glen Mazzara (The Walking Dead), Akiva Goldsman (Titans, Star Trek: Discovery) and King.

Amazon Studios has begun looking to assemble a cast ahead of a mid-April start of production in Croatia, where the series is expected to film until late-June. It appears that part of the delay may have been, in part, due to efforts to distance the series from the 2017 film adaptation which was received poorly by fans and critics. The series will of course focus on Roland Deschain, a young boy from a long line of “gunslingers”, and his “ka-tet” comprised of Cuthbert Allgood, Alain Johns, Ileen Ritter and Jamie De Curry in addition to his girlfriend, Susan Delgado. The studio is currently looking at actors and actresses, ages 16-18 for all the roles listed above.

Marten Broadcloak will serve as the series antagonist and his affair with Roland’s mother, Gabrielle, will factor heavily into the plot. Her affair incites Roland to pick up his guns in a search for Broadcloak and sets his father, Steven, on a mission to find him. At this time, no offers have been made to talent, but the cast should begin to assemble quickly.

>>> Source

Caveat: This is the only source of this info, and it's one I'm not familiar with, so maybe...maybe not?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Amazon Studios is set to move ahead with production on their adaptation of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower books. The series, which will be comprised of 13 one-hour episodes, will be executive produced by a team of huge names led by Glen Mazzara (The Walking Dead), Akiva Goldsman (Titans, Star Trek: Discovery) and King.

Amazon Studios has begun looking to assemble a cast ahead of a mid-April start of production in Croatia, where the series is expected to film until late-June. It appears that part of the delay may have been, in part, due to efforts to distance the series from the 2017 film adaptation which was received poorly by fans and critics. The series will of course focus on Roland Deschain, a young boy from a long line of “gunslingers”, and his “ka-tet” comprised of Cuthbert Allgood, Alain Johns, Ileen Ritter and Jamie De Curry in addition to his girlfriend, Susan Delgado. The studio is currently looking at actors and actresses, ages 16-18 for all the roles listed above.

Marten Broadcloak will serve as the series antagonist and his affair with Roland’s mother, Gabrielle, will factor heavily into the plot. Her affair incites Roland to pick up his guns in a search for Broadcloak and sets his father, Steven, on a mission to find him. At this time, no offers have been made to talent, but the cast should begin to assemble quickly.

>>> Source

Caveat: This is the only source of this info, and it's one I'm not familiar with, so maybe...maybe not?
    This could be VERY good. IF DONE RIGHT... make it a season OR two.. then you could turn the 7 books into a solid 4-8 seasons of good TV and make it brillant.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post

>>> Source

Yea that could be really good. Hoping it's done a great way and then released on video. So this sounds like it is a story that is before the first book. It would be cool if they did this and then did the books afterwards. I would buy that series for sure.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll be very hopeful as more info comes out.

But...
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Sooooooooo we're really going with Akiva Goldsman again???

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I hope Warwick Davis is the new Roland
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Traveler LordOfDiscordia will become famous soon enough LordOfDiscordia's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

I'm really excited to see that they are still going to give the Dark Tower a chance to be a T.V show, however, I am worried that they will try to drastically change the story as they did with the movie. I think the key to doing a great adaptation with the series would be to introduce the sci-fi/metafiction elements slowly so that the viewer could easily digest the mythos of the world. I think this will really be in their benefit if they learned more on the western side of the story. Starting with young Roland seems like an iffy move. One of the reasons why the Dark Tower clicked for as a series is a way King built up this mystery and revealed that mystery. What I really want to see is the show to make it through all of the main books, and possibly later adapt the major Tie-in novels: Insomnia, Talisman/Black House, Heart's in Atlantis, and Salem's Lot. I guess it would be cool to have an adaptation of just Wizard in Glass, but we kinda already got that with the Comics. I really just want to see a faithful adaptation of the main cycle with Eddie, Jack, Susannah, and Oy.

Overall this is some really exciting news.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by LordOfDiscordia View Post
    I think the key to doing a great adaptation with the series would be to introduce the sci-fi/metafiction elements slowly so that the viewer could easily digest the mythos of the world. I think this will really be in their benefit if they learned more on the western side of the story.
    +1
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Traveler SArcher is on a distinguished road

I really hope this project will turn into something great. It's crazy how the movie was in development hell for like 10+ years. I picked up the books about 11 years ago or so and I remember there being talks of a movie even back then. And when the film finally came out it landed like a wet fart. I actually think they could have continued with the same cast (Elba was a left field but inspired casting) but I also understand why they're rebooting it.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I actually don't think Amazon should worry too much about the 2017 movie and distancing the series from that. WB and DC are essentially rebooting the Suicide Squad which was a huge hit, just adding "The" to the title:

https://batman-news.com/2019/02/15/h...art-this-year/
    Earlier this week, Forbes reported that Harley Quinn (Margot Robbie) was not expected to appear in James Gunn’s The Suicide Squad. This afternoon, Forbes reported new information that Harley Quinn is expected to appear in the film after all.

Forbes has also learned that production on The Suicide Squad is expected to begin later this year.

The word “relaunch” has been favored over the word “sequel” in reports regarding The Suicide Squad. The return of Harley Quinn puts this film firmly in sequel territory even if its references to David Ayer’s 2016 film are otherwise minimal.

As long as Margot Robbie is willing and able to be part of this franchise, it makes sense to bring her back. Her portrayal of Harley Quinn was easily the most popular aspect of Suicide Squad and the main reason the film succeeded financially despite being hammered by critics.
    If the material is handled well, the W&G story very easily could segue into The Gunslinger and on.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    I actually don't think Amazon should worry too much about the 2017 movie and distancing the series from that.
    Yeah and at this point I think most people have forgotten the first film even existed.

I do hope whoever does this takes a serious look at the first film and see what went wrong. It's so painfully obvious that they didn't trust the source material and the result is something that alienated the fans and turned away newcomers.

Can you imagine if someone said this to us ten years ago: "Hey in 2017 we're going to have Gerald's Game and The Dark Tower made into movies. One of them is going to get great reviews and be considered to be one of the best films ever made from a King novel and the other is going to be the cinematic equivalent of a wet fart. Guess which one is which?"
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

‘The Dark Tower’ Casts Sam Strike As Gunslinger Roland Deschain, Plus Jasper Pääkkönen As Amazon Nears Pilot Order

Amazon’s adaptation of Stephen King’s The Dark Tower book series has found its Gunslinger. Sam Strike (Nightflyers) has been cast as the lead, Roland Deschain, in the project, which I hear is nearing a formal pilot order at the streaming platform.

Jasper Pääkkönen (Vikings, BlacKkKlansman) will co-star in the drama, from executive producer/showrunner Glen Mazzara and MRC. The project had had a blinking green light for a couple of months, with casting quietly underway. It had been in development at Amazon for almost a year.

The Dark Tower TV series is independent from the film and is meant to be a more faithful retelling of the book than the movie was. I hear it will take place many years before the events depicted in the feature and will focus on Roland Deschain’s (Strike) origin story – how he first became a gunslinger and got his guns, his first conflict with the man in black, his first love and his first mission as a gunslinger.

Pääkkönen is believed to be playing Marten, the character Roland is out to kill.

The 2017 Sony/MRC feature The Dark Tower starred Idris Elba as Roland Deschain.

King’s eight Dark Tower books draw from multiple genres, including dark fantasy, science fantasy, horror, and Western.

Strike is coming off a series regular role on the Syfy/Netflix series Nightflyers, based on the novella by George R.R. Martin. The English actor launched his acting career with main roles on the British series M.I. High and EastEnders. He will next be seen in the HBO/Sky miniseries Chernobyl and will reprise his guest starring role on the second season of David Fincher’s Netflix series Mindhunter. He is repped by Gersh, Circle of Confusion and UK’s The Artists Partnership.

Finnish actor Pääkkönen played Halfdan the Black on History’s Vikings and recently co-starred in Spike Lee’s BlacKkKlansman.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Don't know anything about the actor but even though he's 25, he looks like he could pass as a teenager.

Good to see this moving forward. Hopefully it will spawn better adaptions of the entire series later on.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I saw Strike in Nightflyers, which seemed like a decent show until it revealed itself to be a total turd at the very end - but I digress.

Strike was good; let's hope this works out.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

I always forget, has it been decided Marten and Flagg are the same person or are they Twinners or alternate timeline folks?

Country
    Country Flag

Same person, Flagg just changes his persona a lot.

So my two cents... I saw Sam Strike in Leatherface, thought he was good. Jasper Pääkkönen was pretty loathsome in BlacKkKlansman so that should be interesting.

My Collection

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I LOVE this casting.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I was hoping for Costner as Roland and Andrew Garfield as the MiB, but hey.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    That seems backwards?
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    That seems backwards?
    I see what you mean, but it was just for laughs anyway (I wouldn't want either anywhere near DT).

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't know anything about these actors, but they certainly LOOK the part.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Don't know anything about these actors, but they certainly LOOK the part.
    Unknown and look the part... exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 244 of 254 FirstFirst ... 144 194 234 242 243 244 245 246 ... LastLast