Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 351 of 441 FirstFirst ... 251 301 341 349 350 351 352 353 361 401 ... LastLast
Results 8,751 to 8,775 of 11003

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Strange Circus (2005)

I had no idea what the movie was about, or even who the director was when I popped the DVD into the player. I like to go into these things cold, with no preconceived ideas.

So imagine my surprise.

What a disturbing movie. I figured pretty quickly it must have been a Sion Sono film, based on my limited exposure to his works. What sets up the plot is truly disturbing. After I got over the initial shocking elements, I figured my review score at about a "2." The parts that made sense were disturbing, and the parts that were not making sense, while well-shot, seemed pretentious. Like "let's make it more fantasy/dream-state to get some nods from the art-house crowd." I wasn't actively disliking it--just not really responding to either the "normal plot" or the "weird" stuff either. But it was growing on me a bit, and I was thinking, ehhh, maybe bump up to a "3" just for the gall of the subject matter.

Then, about an hour in, when the movie starts focusing on the lady author in the wheelchair and the group of editors. I kept wondering what the point was. A lot of things were not making sense and I was mentally picking apart the plot. Uh-oh, back down to 2 stars...and dropping.

But then...well...the last 30 minutes or so. Holy cow. Didn't see THAT coming! Or that. Or that! I was completely blindsided. I love it when a movie can do that to me. And unlike Audition (which I detested), I feel that the director earned every bit of the hoops I was falling through. Bravo! New interpretations of previous scenes--so delicious. I'm still not clear on a few things (and don't really care), and I do think Sono overplayed and overstayed his welcome a bit with what (to me) seemed to be forced ambiguities and fantasy sequences. But that aside, all in all I really enjoyed the ride. 4 stars. And if I were to ever watch it again, I'm guessing I'd add another half star since I could settle in and focus on some of the ephemeral parts a little more.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Finally got around to watching Us on the flight to LA this past Sunday. Loved it. Peele is a real master of the genre. He has a new voice and is not afraid to use it. The social undertones are superb for those willing to delve deeper, and for those who don’t want to, it’s just a great horror tale. 9/10

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Finally got around to watching Us on the flight to LA this past Sunday. Loved it. Peele is a real master of the genre. He has a new voice and is not afraid to use it. The social undertones are superb for those willing to delve deeper, and for those who don’t want to, it’s just a great horror tale. 9/10
    I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm seeing a lot of people that have been saying negative things about the film recently.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just got it from Netflix so it'll be next on-deck. I've stayed away from reviews (though it seemed like lots liked it), so I'm hoping to be surprised.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

The Kitchen - Bleh/10

It's not a bad film, it's just so generic. The most annoying part of the film, outside of the fact that Tiffany Haddish is a thing, was how the girl power is virtually slathered on in heaps. I have no problem with female empowering films, but it was really ham-fisted here.

Melissa McCarthy proved last year that she can act in a drama with her fine performance in Can You Ever Forgive Me?, but here she's playing it so straight that her character just comes off as boring.

Widows did it way better and nobody watched it, so go watch that one instead.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Good Boys. This is funny all. Like laugh out loud funny. And from start to finish. The young black guy is so funny.... he is gonna be a comedy star. Stole the show for us. This is funny..... BIG funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Good Boys. This is funny all. Like laugh out loud funny. And from start to finish. The young black guy is so funny.... he is gonna be a comedy star. Stole the show for us. This is funny..... BIG funny.

Agreed. I had a lot of fun with this one.

Young black guy? You do know that was a little kid, right?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

Agreed. I had a lot of fun with this one.

Young black guy? You do know that was a little kid, right?
    LOL Yeah... he stole the show for me. I thought everything he said was funny. I hope to see lots more of him!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Watched Downsizing with Matt Damon last night. I remember seeing the previews when it came out and thought the premise of the movie was interesting. But they never really went anywhere with it. They spent the first quarter of the movie talking about the background of how the technology came to be then the whole agonizing decision of Damon's character and his wife deciding whether or not to go through with it.

Then they did and... nothing really happened. There's a small twist but for the most part, the movie was really boring after they were miniaturized.

The ending was predictable although quite uneventful. I just feel like this spent way too much time going over the technical stuff of how the process worked rather than delving into the possible pros and cons of it afterwards.

I'd give it a 5/10.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Got to see My Neighbor Totoro on the big screen this weekend. Still a masterpiece! (4/4)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Love that movie!
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Went to see Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. I really enjoyed it. I also loved how they brought the artwork to life in all the creepy creatures in the film. Have they officially announced a sequel? Because they sure ended it like there was going to be one.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    Watched Downsizing with Matt Damon last night. I remember seeing the previews when it came out and thought the premise of the movie was interesting. But they never really went anywhere with it. They spent the first quarter of the movie talking about the background of how the technology came to be then the whole agonizing decision of Damon's character and his wife deciding whether or not to go through with it.

Then they did and... nothing really happened. There's a small twist but for the most part, the movie was really boring after they were miniaturized.

The ending was predictable although quite uneventful. I just feel like this spent way too much time going over the technical stuff of how the process worked rather than delving into the possible pros and cons of it afterwards.

I'd give it a 5/10.
    Although I ultimately enjoyed it, Downsizing never seemed to know what its point was (first it seemed one thing, then another, then another).
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Went to see Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. I really enjoyed it. I also loved how they brought the artwork to life in all the creepy creatures in the film. Have they officially announced a sequel? Because they sure ended it like there was going to be one.
    I haven't read anything about it but yeah, they definitely left it wide open for More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. I really liked it but they could have waited a little closer to Halloween I thought.

Love that movie!
    It's my favorite Miyazaki. It's been so many years since I first saw it but it hasn't lost any of it's magic.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Got to see My Neighbor Totoro on the big screen this weekend. Still a masterpiece! (4/4)
    I'm seeing it in an hour.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen it yet. I haven't really been in a horror mood, but I'm sure that will change as we get closer to Halloween.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm afraid to watch Downsizing. I've heard nothing but negative or middling things and I don't want to believe Alexander Payne can make a less than good film.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I haven't read anything about it but yeah, they definitely left it wide open for More Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. I really liked it but they could have waited a little closer to Halloween I thought.
    I felt the same thing. It took place on Halloween and definitely had a fall vibe. Wonder why they released it in the middle of summer.

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Premiere IT 2.
    Totally awesome. It defers from the book from time to time but on the whole I'm very happy with the way it turned out. The graphics were great. Acting was good and the likeness of the children to adult actors was amazing.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why Don't You Play in Hell? (2013)

Well, well, well. Another Sion Sono film that showed up in my mailbox from Netflix. How about that. For the first hour, I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be gaining from this movie-watching experience. The plot was rather disjointed, popping between a renegade film crew of losers and 2 rival Yakuza gangs that I couldn't quite figure out what their beefs with each other were. And a little girl singing a toothpaste commercial.

I was mildly entertained. It was obvious the film was not to be taken too seriously. I'd categorize the first hour as "slightly whimsical." Unfortunately, "slightly whimsical" is not really in my genre/tone wheelhouse.

But then, about an hour in (right when the "pretend boyfriend" gets kidnapped to direct a Yakuza raid home movie)...it hit me. Farce! The movie just went all-in Farce, and I really started liking it. Farce is very difficult to do well, but Why Don't You Play in Hell?'s last half is a very enjoyable farce. I was all smiles and even laughed out loud a few times.

Very obvious homage to Kill Bill (even the music is almost a carbon copy of the "House of Blue Leaves" fight between Beatrice Kiddo and O-ren Ishii). Obvious homage to the Zatoichi films, with the style of samurai sword fights. Stylistic homages to HK action (slo-mo and double guns). The renegade filmmaking hints at Bowfinger. I'm not sure that Sono intended it, but I even got a Peter Jackson (Dead Alive) vibe, if you remember the carnage with the lawnmower. The Bruce Lee wannabe was very good. And hilarious. And the toothpaste girl! As a little girl, she's as cute as the dickens, and as a grown-up? I'll call her "short-shorts samurai." Miss SSS might be the most flirtatiously sexy/hot/cute Japanese actress I've ever seen. She's...amazing.

4 stars (out of 5).

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I need to watch more Sion Sono. The only thing I've seen from him is Cold Fish which I thought was brilliant.

Also divemaster you probably know the answer to this: I'm looking for this film, I think it's Chinese or Japanese. From what I remember of the trailer it's about these two mob bosses who are planning to have a turf war, and in order to cover it up they arrange a faux music-video shoot to disguise the real violence taking place throughout the complex.

The violence in the trailer is very stylized, very Kill Billy. Ring any bells?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    I need to watch more Sion Sono. The only thing I've seen from him is Cold Fish which I thought was brilliant.
    I liked Cold Fish also; I gave it 3.5 stars and I've been interested in a re-watch.

Strange Circus, I reviewed in post #8753 of this thread.

Suicide Club: rated 3.5 stars also. However, the follow-up (Noriko's Dinner Table), much loved by many, I scored lower.

I've posted these reviews elsewhere if you are interested:

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/re...uly-2019.6932/ (post #1)

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/re...may-2019.6900/ (go to post #15)

As far as Sono's 4-hour opus, Love Exposure goes; well, you have to see it to believe it. My (4-star) thoughts: https://www.imdforums.com/threads/re...e-2#post-55149 (go to post #30)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Also divemaster you probably know the answer to this: I'm looking for this film, I think it's Chinese or Japanese. From what I remember of the trailer it's about these two mob bosses who are planning to have a turf war, and in order to cover it up they arrange a faux music-video shoot to disguise the real violence taking place throughout the complex.

The violence in the trailer is very stylized, very Kill Billy. Ring any bells?
    Something is twinging deep in my memory banks, but I can't ID this right off. If it is a Hong Kong movie, the stylized violence would lead me to Johnny To perhaps. If Japanese, all bets are off. I'll see if I can't suss it out for you.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For the record, we do have a Sono/Miike thread, so y'all are super welcome:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...-and-Sion-Sono

+ Reply to Thread
Page 351 of 441 FirstFirst ... 251 301 341 349 350 351 352 353 361 401 ... LastLast