(Rushmore - 1998)
Director: Wes Anderson
Cast - Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, Olivia Williams and Bryan Cox
Writers: Wes Anderson and Owen Wilson

I've been waiting 12 years to see this and it was well worth the wait. A very funny yet dark and twisted movie. It has great and colourful characters played by a good ensemble cast. Max Fischer is easily a very likeable and very hatable character, he's an ambitious lazy person, he's a cold-hearted softie and any other oxymoron you can think of. Herman, played by Murray, was the character of the movie. His relationship with Max shows the void in his life with his own sons who he wishes were different and his lust for Miss Cross stems from his selfish needs in a listless marriage, his desire to see Max grow and learn lessons of life but it was obvious he was craving competition most of all, after years of living a comfortable life. Olivia Williams is charming as Miss Cross who finds herself looking for a friend and getting much more. Brian Cox was a great addition and his scene in the hospital was pricelss.

My friend lent me his Wes Anderson collection as all I'd seen (and loved) was Royal Tenenbaums. Bottle Rocket is next.

8/10

(Primal Fear - 1996)
Director: Gregory Hoblit
Starring: Richard Gere, Laura Linney, Edward Norton, John Mahoney and Terry O'Quinn
Writers: Steve Shagan and Ann Biderman

Been years since I'd seen it and since it's not new, I'll be breif. Mahoney/Norton steal this movie, Gere shows he's a capable actor, Linney shows how good and for how long she's been good. Gregory Hoblits usage of wood throughout the hole movie is interesting.I wonder if it's just to give that courtroom look to the whole movie or if there is some symbolism there. This movie is how 'twist' endings should be.

8/10