Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 428 of 441 FirstFirst ... 328 378 418 426 427 428 429 430 438 ... LastLast
Results 10,676 to 10,700 of 11003

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Did anyone else see The Black Phone this weekend?

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I have not read The Black Phone but the movie was good. I do have a question for someone who has read the book and it's a spoiler so warning given.

Spoiler
    Yeah, it's a good story. It's a short story and not a book.
    Spoiler:
    Not as many kids get on the phone as there are in the film - probably due to the shortened length. There is no practical reason for the Grabber to have left the phone in the basement, other than he knows the room is sound proof and that he has gut the wire so it doesn't work. Like the film, he mentions that he heard it ring once, but there wasn't anyone on the other end. Later, Bruce Yamada mentions to Finney that "Albert hears the phone too...Sometimes when he's down in the basement we prank call him." So I take the Grabber's reluctance in removing the phone as fearful and strange fascination with it, one that keeps his connections to the kid's he has killed. I think he wants to hear their voices again.
    That's how I take it.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Saw The Black Phone this weekend and enjoyed it very much. It's very close to its source material and yet there are some excellent additions. Not so much of a horror film, as a suspense film with a couple of jump scares. The story though, as simple as it is, is done very well. A great late 70s feel to it. 7.5/10

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I have not read The Black Phone but the movie was good. I do have a question for someone who has read the book and it's a spoiler so warning given.

Spoiler
    Yeah, it's a good story. It's a short story and not a book.
    Spoiler:
    Not as many kids get on the phone as there are in the film - probably due to the shortened length. There is no practical reason for the Grabber to have left the phone in the basement, other than he knows the room is sound proof and that he has gut the wire so it doesn't work. Like the film, he mentions that he heard it ring once, but there wasn't anyone on the other end. Later, Bruce Yamada mentions to Finney that "Albert hears the phone too...Sometimes when he's down in the basement we prank call him." So I take the Grabber's reluctance in removing the phone as fearful and strange fascination with it, one that keeps his connections to the kid's he has killed. I think he wants to hear their voices again.
    That's how I take it.
    Thanks for that interpretation. Makes sense.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

The Black Phone was pretty good in my opinion. If you liked Sinister, you'll like this. Not as creepy, but cut from the same cloth.
    There is a teacher in the movie that looked like a King. I don't think it was. If I could have paused the movie I would have.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Black Phone:

Tense thriller with nowhere to go.
    The audience is a hostage along with the captive boy. Predictable, and thankfully short.
    3/6 beers on the RFSRS.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw The Black Phone. I think it's a little overhyped. The performances really elevated it. I don't typically give half points outside of Letterboxd, but this is the definition of a 3.5/5 film. It did a out of things right, but I think it could've been so much more with a different approach. This who have read the story, let me know if:

Spoiler:
    Did the sister play such a role in the story? It feels like her role was very much a Hollywood convention. The actress was pretty good, but the focus shifting to her took me out of the film. I wish that it just stayed in the basement with him, really let us feel imprisoned too. Ultimately so her dreams served no purpose since they led her to the wrong house...it could be said the ghosts led her to where they were buried, but she didn't save her brother, and once he got free they'd have found the bodies through the killer's home ownership so it all seemed kind of like filler to pad the film out.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    I saw The Black Phone. I think it's a little overhyped. The performances really elevated it. I don't typically give half points outside of Letterboxd, but this is the definition of a 3.5/5 film. It did a out of things right, but I think it could've been so much more with a different approach. This who have read the story, let me know if:

Spoiler:
    Did the sister play such a role in the story? It feels like her role was very much a Hollywood convention. The actress was pretty good, but the focus shifting to her took me out of the film. I wish that it just stayed in the basement with him, really let us feel imprisoned too. Ultimately so her dreams served no purpose since they led her to the wrong house...it could be said the ghosts led her to where they were buried, but she didn't save her brother, and once he got free they'd have found the bodies through the killer's home ownership so it all seemed kind of like filler to pad the film out.
    The sister...
    Spoiler:
    is three years older than Finney in the book. She is more the stuff of Finney's dreams. Yes, she is connected to the occult and she looks for him in a dream - a phone call suggests Finney's dream is more truth. Overall a much expanded/altered role in the film.

Read it, it's a pretty good tale - all 7250 words of it.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Watched The Lost City tonight. Loved Brad Pitt, but the film is nowhere near as good as the Romancing the Stone, the film it seems to be emulating. Even with my low expectations going in it was not very good. 5/10.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Firestarter Bad!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Top Gun: Maverick gets a 4/5 from me. It's been a long time since I watched the original, but I recall the romantic aspect being more prominent. It was basically reduced to about 4 scenes in this movies and it made me feel nothing. Who even was she? I know she owns a bar and likes sailing and I guess she did Maverick before. Was she even related to the first movie at all? A total dud of a subplot there. The actual flying sequences were awesome and the main plot itself was sparse yet still focused on the task, which I enjoyed. There wasn't too much forced conflict for the sake of drama and it mostly stuck to the mission.

I also noticed how politically correct the film was. We have no idea who where this reactor is, who built it, why, and they are nebulously referred to as "the enemy." Is this just an attempt not to rely on a tired red or foreign menace, or a clever jab that anyone that isn't America is "the enemy".

Spoiler:
    That last scene of the film make me vomit. What kind of person pulls up in front of a hangar and says to her tween daughter, "Go inside there and look around until you find Maverick and then suggestively stare into his eyes so he will somehow understand that he is supposed to stop what he is doing and walk outside where I will be waiting for him whoreishly leaning up against my sports car all sexy-like?" Honestly, this was the most unrealistic scene in this film. Maverick could've avoided a missile by doing 17 consecutive backflips with such speed and force it causes him to ejaculate at such an unheard of speed it become divine and it flies into the troposphere and miraculously gives Iceman a facial that cures him instantly and simultaneously brings Goose back to life, and then Maverick could shoot down 26 fighter jets blindfolded and I would've thought that ending with Jennifer Connelly was still the most unrealistic thing in the film. What the fuck even was that?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Matt

1. Yes, the romantic subplot was the most undercooked element in TG:M, honestly the film could have gone without it and nothing changes
    2. I was curious about the 'enemy' as well; figured they were just being PC, and not wanting to name nations given the sensitivity of things going between Russia and Ukraine etc.,

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

THOR.
    What a Psychedelic trip. Colourful and fun. Bale is always on his game. Really enjoyed it. I think Ragarock was better But not by a lot. Im really waiting to see the big Thanos level threat and also ready for the properties they bought from FOX to start becoming the major part of the MCU. It’s ready…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm catching Thor tomorrow, matinee. Can't wait to join the discussion(s)!

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

That I hear it isn't as good as Ragnarok is kind of turning me off checking it out. I liked Ragnarok, but I only gave it a 3/5. The Asgard stuff bored me to tears. Gladiator Planet and Goldblum was very fun though. If people who loved Ragnarok don't think this one is as good then I'll wait to watch on streaming.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thor: Love and Thunder is a really fun ride. Lots of humor mixed into acts one and two and a rousing act three. Bale continues to show why he's the best in the business right now. Like many have noted, not as good as Ragnarok, but still in the top half of Marvel films. 8.5/10

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

That I hear it isn't as good as Ragnarok is kind of turning me off checking it out. I liked Ragnarok, but I only gave it a 3/5. The Asgard stuff bored me to tears. Gladiator Planet and Goldblum was very fun though. If people who loved Ragnarok don't think this one is as good then I'll wait to watch on streaming.
    Honestly it pains me to say this cause I love Waititi and Ragnarok, but L&T is a bit of a mess - tonally, structurally. There's just too many contrivances and half baked ideas. It has some funny bits and cool visuals, but as a whole it's just not cohesive.

Enjoyed my time with it in theaters and glad I got to see it, but I won't be in any kind of rush to watch it again. I'll give it a generous 3/5 stars.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I stumbled upon a little gem (IMHO) called "The Man Who Invented Christmas". Stars, Christopher Plummer (maybe not his best work but hey, he's Christopher Plummer!! lol). It's a loose biography on the writing of "A Christmas Carol". I found it enjoyable and somewhat thought provoking speculating on his 5.5 beers out of sixand the process and such. I thought it was a solid 4.5 beers out of six on the RFMRS. Give it a go and see what you think. It's currently available on, Showtime.

EDIT: Man, I'm sure a site chock full of book collectors can appreciate it, imagine holding a true first edition of that tome!! I wonder if the original hand written draft is under museum glass somewhere. Fucking awesome. lol

This film loosely reminded me of another very good, and personal favorite, "Immortal Beloved". It's a drama/biography on the life of, Ludwig Von Beethoven. Of special note are the scenes shown whilst the 9th Symphony/"Ode to Joy" is playing. The film stars, Gary Oldman and Isabella Rossellini. Like I said it's a personal favorite so that may be worth a half a beer. I rate it a 5.5 beers out of six on the RFMRS.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

The Man Who Invented Christmas is great - great cast (Plummer as Scrooge, Dan Stevens as Charles Dickens, Jonathan Pryce as Charles' father John), great story (it was a bit of a miracle that the book was written, finished, and published on time), and great way of telling that story (I think many who haven't seen this would enjoy it).

While I certainly don't own a first edition of A Christmas Carol, I've been in the room with a few of them, and touched one that had been rebound (around 1903) in green leather with gems embedded in it (I think it was available for $30k).

I can't help anyone seeking a first edition (maybe check in with Alec), but you can buy a decent replica from the Charles Dickens museum: https://dickensmuseum.com/collection...museum-edition
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Top Gun: Maverick gets a 4/5 from me. It's been a long time since I watched the original, but I recall the romantic aspect being more prominent. It was basically reduced to about 4 scenes in this movies and it made me feel nothing. Who even was she? I know she owns a bar and likes sailing and I guess she did Maverick before. Was she even related to the first movie at all? A total dud of a subplot there. The actual flying sequences were awesome and the main plot itself was sparse yet still focused on the task, which I enjoyed. There wasn't too much forced conflict for the sake of drama and it mostly stuck to the mission.

I also noticed how politically correct the film was. We have no idea who where this reactor is, who built it, why, and they are nebulously referred to as "the enemy." Is this just an attempt not to rely on a tired red or foreign menace, or a clever jab that anyone that isn't America is "the enemy".

Spoiler:
    That last scene of the film make me vomit. What kind of person pulls up in front of a hangar and says to her tween daughter, "Go inside there and look around until you find Maverick and then suggestively stare into his eyes so he will somehow understand that he is supposed to stop what he is doing and walk outside where I will be waiting for him whoreishly leaning up against my sports car all sexy-like?" Honestly, this was the most unrealistic scene in this film. Maverick could've avoided a missile by doing 17 consecutive backflips with such speed and force it causes him to ejaculate at such an unheard of speed it become divine and it flies into the troposphere and miraculously gives Iceman a facial that cures him instantly and simultaneously brings Goose back to life, and then Maverick could shoot down 26 fighter jets blindfolded and I would've thought that ending with Jennifer Connelly was still the most unrealistic thing in the film. What the fuck even was that?

Penny Benjamin is actually mentioned in the original film, so it's not like she was completely fabricated for the sequel.

She’s brought up by Meg Ryan, who said Goose told her about "the time you went ballistic with Penny Benjamin." I believe she's mentioned another time as well.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

NOPE.
    Got up early here in San D and went to a 4DX to catch a film I really wanted to see. It’s good. Well done but I have more questions now than I did before and I cannot tell if that’s a good or bad thing with this film. Some very good scenes here…. Very well shot too. I’d give it a 8/10

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    NOPE.
    Got up early here in San D and went to a 4DX to catch a film I really wanted to see. It’s good. Well done but I have more questions now than I did before and I cannot tell if that’s a good or bad thing with this film. Some very good scenes here…. Very well shot too. I’d give it a 8/10

I am still processing this one, having just gotten home from a 7PM viewing. There is a lot to process as the underlying meanings of Peele's films. I found the film to be a little too slow in it's first act, but I gradually gave myself over to it. Peele has become one of those directors that people who love movies go out to see, and with that comes a heightened anticipation. In the end, it didn't quite live up to my self-imposed hype. 7.5/10

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Saw Nope. I give it a 3/5 though it gets the bump to 3.5/5 on letterboxd. You can read my thoughts here: https://letterboxd.com/mattrickbt/film/nope/

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Watched The Gray Man last night.

Ryan Gosling basically plays Jason Bourne/John Wick and Chris Evans goes 180 from his usual roles and plays the asshole bad guy. Also Billy Bob Thornton is in it as well as a 12-year-old girl with a pacemaker for reasons.
    That's pretty much all you need to know about the movie.

I did LOL at one point when Chris Evans character said something like "How hard is it to shoot somebody?" when like 30 guys are trying to shoot one single guy but all seem to have the aiming skills of Star Wars storm troopers. Of course the good guy has the aim of Legolas.

It was an OK action movie but nothing really groundbreaking. Gosling can actually be pretty funny with some of his dead-pan delivery. Seeing Evans play a really bad guy that has no issues shooting/killing people was definitely a change.

I'd give it about a 6.5/10 overall.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    ...the good guy has the aim of Legolas.
    Good one; I will have to remember this.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

+ Reply to Thread
Page 428 of 441 FirstFirst ... 328 378 418 426 427 428 429 430 438 ... LastLast