Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 387 of 441 FirstFirst ... 287 337 377 385 386 387 388 389 397 437 ... LastLast
Results 9,651 to 9,675 of 11005

Thread: Rate The Last Movie You Saw.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I recently saw Incarnate (an exorcism movie starring Aaron Eckhart, who is nobody's idea of an MVP, but who most people probably find ok, as I do).

Despite a seeming attempt to lend a modern touch to things (Eckhart's character professed to be non-religious in his approach, used scientific equipment, and was assisted by modern techie nerds), this was pretty much exorcism-by-numbers, with an exorcist who has his own problems, to the point of utilizing the weather-beaten trope of the down-and-out protagonist shown at home while a video of better times plays in the background.

In the end...

Spoiler:
    they actually have Eckhart's character pull a Father Karras, pulling the demon into himself and committing suicide to end things - I gotta admit, I kind of admire the balls to shamelessly admit they had no ideas of their own and just go full and obvious Exorcist on us.

If you like to watch all the exorcist movies you can find, you might enjoy this - I did, but barely - but by no means was this film more than just ok.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I recently tried to watch The Autopsy Of Jane Doe. This is supposed to be a decent thriller/horror movie, and it stars Brian Cox (fuck off!), so definitely worth a try.

The problem was, it got to a point where it was just poking and prodding a body, and I just couldn't take watching it. I'm not saying it was bad film-wise; I'm saying I was too grossed out to continue.

We made it to the point where...

Spoiler:
    ...there was an object moving around under her skin by her ankle.

Hey - maybe it is a good movie - if any of you have seen it, let me know what you thought (and how things went after the part in the spoiler)
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    stop it. don't ruin another movie for me.
    Sorry, bro. Get ready for 70-year-old guys lugging hundreds of pounds of gold through the Vietnam jungle. I hate to say it, but people are watching this one with 2020 colored glasses. Nobody will have the balls to critique a Spike Lee film right now.

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Speaking of Vietnam. Da 5 Bloods. This may be the best movie the summer without much going on in theatres! We loved it. Highly recommend this movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We watched a different movie.

Movie theaters are closed. I haven't been to a movie in over 3 months. Just typing that out seems weird to me still. When I heard that Spike Lee's new joint was going to drop on Netflix, I was instantly excited. A new film from a name brand director, sign me up. I really enjoyed the trailer as well. It gave me Three Kings vibes, a film I really adore.

Unfortunately, Da 5 Bloods is an absolute mess from the start to the very end of its bloated 2 and a half plus hours. I love Lee's work, but this effort is a shell of his previous films. Bad dialogue, poor plotting, clunky scene transitions, ridiculously convenient twists. Many of the plot devices are telegraphed from a mile away. There's a death scene that I actually laughed at because it felt like it was a Monty Python sketch. You could also see it coming from a mile away.

Da 5 Bloods can't decide if it wants to be a heist film, a war film, a documentary, or a geriatric buddy comedy. Maybe one of the biggest missteps for me was using the same aged actors in the flashback scenes with no de-aging. It just looked plain silly. Da 5 Bloods is one of the bigger disappointments for me in a long time.
    It does have its flaws.. but I embraced where you didn't. The death scene? LOVED IT! Best Ive seen in some time. And I really thought it was a good play to show them the same age back in Nam..... it was something Ive not seen before and for me? It worked. We watched the same movie... just with a different mindset
    What did you love about it? Was it the fact that it was
    Spoiler:
    so telegraphed that he was going to step on a landmine while he was walking backward? Was it the comically fake blood spurting from his limbs? Maybe it was the fact that the characters had zero seconds to mourn his loss before they are interrupted by the minesweeper people in another telegraphed twist.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Too many flaws in the movie for me to detail as I usually like succinct reviews. I'll leave the lengthy analysis to the pros.
    Still Servant nailed it almost exactly like my favorite professional reviewer, Mick Lasalle of the San Francisco Chronicle.

Spoiler:
    Every so often Spike Lee makes a movie that inspires the wrong kind of wonder — as in, “I wonder what happened to Spike Lee?” As with Woody Allen, the range in quality between Lee’s best and worst work could make you imagine that they were made by different people — except no, all Spike Lee movies are unmistakable products of the same artistic personality.
    As for his new film, “Da 5 Bloods,” everything about it is off, except for Lee’s instinct for the social and political moment. In 2018’s “BlacKkKlansman,” he added an epilogue about the neo-Nazis in Charlottesville that elevated a very good movie into something near greatness. In “25th Hour” (2002), he took a story about a drug dealer’s last day of freedom and turned it into the ultimate expression of post-9/11 New York.

Now with “Da 5 Bloods,” he begins the movie with a montage of footage from the early ’70s, in which Angela Davis says, “We may very well face a period of full-blown fascism very soon.” There are also references to Black Lives Matter that had to have been included prior to the recent protests.
    Yet “Da 5 Bloods” is a poor vehicle for these ideas. Clocking in at 2½ hours, it feels long after its first labored minutes. We meet four African American veterans, all men in their late 60s, as they arrive in Vietnam for a last adventure. Through stilted, tin-eared dialogue, we discover that the four surviving “Bloods” have returned to find and repatriate the body of their fallen leader — and to find millions of dollars in buried gold.

The dialogue remains a problem throughout, in that the characters don’t talk like people. Instead they work to help the movie make its points by announcing everything they’re thinking and feeling. Paul (Delroy Lindo), suffering from post-traumatic stress, announces, “I’m a broken man.” In another scene, one of the men says that they need to “repossess” the gold “for every single black boot that never made it home.”
    At one point, their dead platoon leader (Chadwick Boseman) is described as “our Martin and our Malcolm.” Why not let the audience discover that, rather than give these flashback scenes too much to live up to? And, though this is a small thing, why name this leader Norman, and why have him called “Stormin’ Norman,” when it evokes, for anyone old enough to remember the Persian Gulf War, another soldier altogether?
    In one scene, Paul’s son (Jonathan Majors), who is also on the trip, goes to a bar and strikes up a conversation with a French relief worker (Melanie Thierry). This begins two cringe-worthy minutes of actors struggling to bring life to something dead on the page. Scene after scene is like this, lacking realism or tension, with none of the honest give-and-take of real conversation.
    The movie inserts a couple of film references that are weird, almost flailing. The men ride down the river in a boat, as the soundtrack blares “The Ride of the Valkyries.” This evokes “Apocalypse Now,” but why? In another scene, a Vietnamese bandit tries to steal the gold and actually says, “I don’t need no stinkin’ badges.” That’s a line out of “The Treasure of the Sierra Madre,” which also had to do with gold, but so what?
    The flashbacks to Vietnam are just plain odd, in that the actors — Lindo, Isiah Whitlock Jr., Clarke Peters and Norm Lewis — all play themselves at 20 years old. So, you have these older men being led by Boseman, who is decades younger. Such scenes make you realize that the movie should have been set in the late 1980s. The men would have been younger and nothing would have been lost, except the references to today’s politics.
    Anyway, think about it: If you buried millions of dollars in gold when you were 20, would you wait until you were pushing 70 before you dug it up? Wouldn’t the idea of being rich appeal to you many, many years before that? Would you really wait until you were so old that you’d have to worry about throwing your back out when you picked up the loot?
    In the end, “Da 5 Bloods” feels like a clumsy hybrid of two fine impulses — to make a heist movie set in Vietnam, and to make a statement about race in 2020. Alas, each intention doesn’t serve the other, and so both go unrealized.
    K“Da 5 Bloods”: Drama. Starring Delroy Lindo, Clarke Peters, Isiah Whitlock Jr. and Norm Lewis. Directed by Spike Lee. (R. 154 minutes.) Available on Netflix starting Friday, June 12.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, thank god! I was starting to think I was the only one that hated it. Everyone should read that review. I swear, if I didn't know Da 5 Bloods was directed by Lee I would have assumed it was directed by a novice director. The film should have shown the soldiers in Vietnam more. Build those relationships and characters. As for the present-day stuff, the reviewer got it right, nobody is going to wait almost 4 decades to go back and retrieve the gold. It should have been set in the 80s for sure.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think $5 million dollars worth of gold weighs ~275 pounds. How the hell do 4 aged veterans lug that out, and then how do you bring it home? Private rented jet?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Sicario: Day of the Soldado - 3/5
    Creep - 4/5

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Creep - 4/5
    see Upgrade yet?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Watched a couple of good documentaries recently. At the Drive In, this one made me long for more drive-in theaters, especially ones that would primarily play older films. There's one at the Cape, and in the off season they'll do just that, but come summer months it's all current kids films so we never get to go. One time we did luck out and they happened to be playing Jaws which was pretty cool. And the other one was Making Apes, which tells the story of the original make-up artists behind Planet of the Apes.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Creep - 4/5
    see Upgrade yet?
    Not yet my boy, I scoped it out on Prime but they didn't have any rent options, only purchasing for $14.99

That seems to change frequently so I'll check it out in a few days to see if they added the rent option back up.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Apparently, Upgrade at the moment is only streaming on-demand if you have DirecTV (AT&T TV):

https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/upgrade

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I think $5 million dollars worth of gold weighs ~275 pounds. How the hell do 4 aged veterans lug that out, and then how do you bring it home? Private rented jet?
    Thank you!!! It's just silly.

Also, after the first scene with Jean Reno, there was literally zero planning and plotting of how they were going to find the gold.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Finally got around to two movies I have been wanting to watch

The Invisible Man was a really fun re-imagining of the classic. I love how we are dropped right into it, with no wasted exposition. The film had me leaning forward the whole time as I was trying to see any evidence of the Invisible Man in the frame - a real sense of paranoia develops while watching the film, which mirrors that of many of the characters. A real treat from beginning to end. 8.5/10 for me.

Then I watched Guy Ritchie's The Gentlemen last night. This one also jumped right into the action, but then it had some serious exposition to wade through. Eventually I gave myself over to it, or was won over by some really superb ensemble performances. Hugh Grant is the best he's ever been - what a great career move. Colin Farrell was also a treat to watch. Hunnam was also great to watch in something other than Sons of Anarchy - not a lot of range, but he had some great lines. It was also a treat to see Jeremy Strong, who I just find amazing in Succession. McConaughey is, well, McConaughey, but when the man is on he is on. Loved him. Lastly, I have really come to like Henry Golding, who is now my favorite for an against-type James Bond. I thought this was some vintage Ritchie. 8.5/10 for me.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Also, after the first scene with Jean Reno, there was literally zero planning and plotting of how they were going to find the gold.

What movie is it where they're doing a heist and they know how much the bags are going to weight, so they make prop bags up with that exact weight so they can train with carrying it?
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Citizen of Gilead Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag is a name known to all Aremag's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

Finally got around to watching Hereditary today. I love Toni Collete and she was great as usual. It was fairly demented and I was hovering between 3.5 and 4 stars but the ending made it 4 stars for me. The soundtrack was killer and really added to the dementedness for me.
    Looking for Suntup Brother ARC and Suntup Seed ARC

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Those final moments of Hereditary are some of my favorite from pretty much any horror film ever.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Parasite

Months after its release, I've finally watched the Best Picture winner of 2019. I'm sure everyone has discussed their thoughts on this film already, so I'll keep mine relatively brief. But, needless to say, I really enjoyed it. The first half especially appealed to me - firmly in the genre of black comedy, it was great to see this family of survivors manipulate their way into the lives of people considerably better off than they are. What they do to achieve that is both despicable and hilarious, so that much appealed to my dark sense of humor.

The film noticeably slowed down during the second half, and honestly, that appealed to me a little less. Having said that, the dark turn it took needed time to be processed, and there was a lot of buildup to the climax. Which was definitely a highlight of the film. Seriously, that ending was both fantastic and messed up. I was really impressed with the sheer chaos of it.

Overall, a great mix of both comedy and commentary with a vicious edge. The commentary it had on class was particularly well done. I'm not sure I can rate it just yet. Like I said, the first half appealed to my taste more than the second, and yet looking back on it already, there are so many well crafted moments throughout that second half. What I can say is that I enjoyed it, and may need to give it a second viewing at some point.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with your assessment. I really enjoyed the film.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree about the film slowing down in the second half. I enjoyed it overall but did think that it was a little bloated.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Hunnam was also great to watch in something other than Sons of Anarchy - not a lot of range, but he had some great lines. It was also a treat to see Jeremy Strong, who I just find amazing in Succession. McConaughey is, well, McConaughey, but when the man is on he is on. Loved him. Lastly, I have really come to like Henry Golding, who is now my favorite for an against-type James Bond. I thought this was some vintage Ritchie. 8.5/10 for me.
    Check him out in The Lost City of Z. A lot of people didn't catch that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post

What movie is it where they're doing a heist and they know how much the bags are going to weight, so they make prop bags up with that exact weight so they can train with carrying it?
    Widows. An underrated film.

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Damn, I promised you I'd watch it but I keep neglecting it. I'll get to it! Prime?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Damn, I promised you I'd watch it but I keep neglecting it. I'll get to it! Prime?
    I believe it's on Prime. I know it's on Hoopla too.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I miss the theatre so bad just wanted to say that guys....
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Me too boss. The drive to my local theater, the comfy recliner seats, the smell of popcorn, people gasping and shouting in excitement. Freaking coronoavirus.

Country
    Country Flag

Me too boss. The drive to my local theater, the comfy recliner seats, the smell of popcorn, people gasping and shouting in excitement. Freaking coronoavirus.
    Mmmmm... movie popcorn 🍿. Yessssss
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 387 of 441 FirstFirst ... 287 337 377 385 386 387 388 389 397 437 ... LastLast