Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Undervalued books

Gunslinger Apprentice Calla_Wolf is on a distinguished road Calla_Wolf's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed

Interesting thread.

Moving away from Cujo...

I remember having a conversation with Stu at Betts about the Grant Limited Ed of Prime Evil. He described that as 'undervalued' given the fact that it's absolutely gorgeous. Perhaps, I ventured, it's the fact that it's a book of short stories. Having said that, Quietly Now, Book of the Dead and I am Legend are books of short stories and can command similar prices to Prime Evil....despite the fact that the production values on PE were much higher.
    Calla Wolf

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Calla_Wolf View Post
    despite the fact that the production values on PE were much higher.
    I've always thought that PRIME EVIL was the most beautiful book Donald Grant ever produced. Others don't like it much, though, and I've never understood why.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I love the production craftsmanship on Prime Evil.
    Couple of pics from the Catalog:

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm in complete agreement on this. I recently sold a Prime Evil S/L that is on it's way to Japan to be displayed in a glass case. I told the lady that purchased it, in the world of collecting King this is called a sleeper but the value is really there, keep an eye on it.

I feel the same about Night Visions 5 S/L. Three top selling authors in one great book but the value always seems to be held down for some reason.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I love it....but I think the complete black design throws some people off...silly, but I guess it's as good a reason as any. It's not super rare, with 1250 copies (US+UK), and it's not one of SK's books...but then soooo many good sigs.

As for Night Visions V - it's "just" a normal hardcover in a traycase...so despite the small limitation, and the great author's represented, it just doesn't really hook anybody in, I guess...

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Content aside, just about exterior aesthetics: I agree that the complete black design of PRIME EVIL doesn't particularly grab some people (I'm one of them, although I do own the book). Moreso now that there are other complete black presentations that look more impressive in comparison (Centipede's 'SALEM'S LOT comes immediately to mind).

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I seem to remember that someone (I believe it was John) once said something about how few copies of the third state 'Salem's Lot seem to come up for sale. This is supposed to be the most common version of the first edition but almost every online listing is either a BCE, a later printing, or a second state first edition.

Thoughts, anyone? And what about the value of this book? I'm not sure what it typically sells for but is this also a book that may be categorized as 'undervalued'? I know that the first and second states are the most collectible but I would love to add a nice third state, first edition to my collection. I've actually been meaning to do just that because a second state copy in the desired condition is expensive... but so far they seem harder to find than I expected.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I seem to remember that someone (I believe it was John) once said something about how few copies of the third state 'Salem's Lot seem to come up for sale. This is supposed to be the most common version of the first edition but almost every online listing is either a BCE, a later printing, or a second state first edition.

Thoughts, anyone? And what about the value of this book? I'm not sure what it typically sells for but is this also a book that may be categorized as 'undervalued'? I know that the first and second states are the most collectible but I would love to add a nice third state, first edition to my collection. I've actually been meaning to do just that because a second state copy in the desired condition is expensive... but so far they seem harder to find than I expected.
    Good point Bio! I too have been looking for a 3rd state. The Collector estimates value at 200-$350, I have been regularly searching for a month or so now and you're right all that seems to come up are the 1st/2nd states, Illus, 93 reprint and that damn omnibus!!

I guess all those who have it are not parting with it!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I think a lot of the anthologies like Quietly Now, A Life In The Cinema, Borderlands 5 of cause Prime Evil are undervalued. And Die Augen des Drachen - Edition Phantasia Portfolio lim.100. Eyes of the Dragon German Portfolio lim. 100.

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I Still love the Prime evil.. it is a superbly crafted book in a premium clam-shell case. it has a long list of signatories. and can often be had for a song.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Stockerlone View Post
    I think a lot of the anthologies like Quietly Now, A Life In The Cinema, Borderlands 5 of cause Prime Evil are undervalued. And Die Augen des Drachen - Edition Phantasia Portfolio lim.100. Eyes of the Dragon German Portfolio lim. 100.
    Life in Cinema - which I don't have and don't want - is surprisingly cheap...it has Clive Barker's signature too, right?

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Life in Cinema - which I don't have and don't want - is surprisingly cheap...it has Clive Barker's signature too, right?
    Yes it does. And it also comes with two small prints, one signed by Barker and one signed by Garris.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lophophoras View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Yes it does. And it also comes with two small prints, one signed by Barker and one signed by Garris.
    I think that is on the two versions of the Lettered edition.
    Thanks to Mr. Rabbit Trick:
    Gauntlet did an Artist 'Lettered' Edition with 16 Lettered copies.

Link

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Also in the lettered ´A Life in the Cinema´ the signed CD

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Yeah, Life In The Cinema rarely goes above $100. For a hardcover with a King signature?. I just won one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    Yeah, Life In The Cinema rarely goes above $100. For a hardcover with a King signature?. I just won one.

Excellent win. I want to say you picked it up under publish price.

Wasn't publish price $125 on this one?

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

That's what I paid from the publisher last year.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice shibus is on a distinguished road shibus's Avatar

Hi Guys,
    I found this thread interesting and thought I would add my own choice to it. Mark Ziesing's S/L Insomnia. With 1250 copies, it's only 250 more than the Limited's of Skeleton Crew and Christine and yet continuely sells for up to a third less. I was able able to get another copy here for a ridiculously great price.

I love the story (And It's Dark Tower related) and the the book is well made. I find the Traycase to be one of the best done in Color and Quality. Much better than both the SC and Christine. I think it definitely fits in the "Undervalued" category.
    I guess it all comes down to a simple choice for me. "Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying".

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I will have to agree there shibus at that price. It was exactly a year ago that I gave right around 300$ for it.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by shibus View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I found this thread interesting and thought I would add my own choice to it. Mark Ziesing's S/L Insomnia. With 1250 copies, it's only 250 more than the Limited's of Skeleton Crew and Christine and yet continuely sells for up to a third less. I was able able to get another copy here for a ridiculously great price.

I love the story (And It's Dark Tower related) and the the book is well made. I find the Traycase to be one of the best done in Color and Quality. Much better than both the SC and Christine. I think it definitely fits in the "Undervalued" category.
    I agree. And unless I have my facts wrong, it is the true first edition. One of the few limited editions to come out before the trade edition.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps the typos and the era (look it up, there was a recession ~1983, and ~1993-book released in 1994) contributed to the indifference.
    It is a beautifully produced S/L.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I surely got it undervalue: 76 dls.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with Randall. The typos are what keep it from being one of my more treasured possessions. I still have the errata sheet that came with it, too.

John

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Insomnia remains my favorite of all the S/Ls so far, typos and all. It is beautifully produced, the traycase is stunning by itself and then you open it up and slide the book out. The limitation sheet is very artfully done as well. In fact, the only drawback to the book IS the fact the the text isn't the final text.

Of course I haven't actually laid my own eyes on a copy of The Stand S/L yet.

Either way, Insomnia S/L is certainly underpriced.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I agree with Randall. The typos are what keep it from being one of my more treasured possessions. I still have the errata sheet that came with it, too.

John
    An errata sheet came with Insomnia? Would you please PM me with a little more information? I purchased my copy from Stu years ago and didn't receive one with mine.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast