Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 77 FirstFirst ... 26 66 74 75 76 77 LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,900 of 1916

Thread: Horror films

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    K, Try Hell House LLC
    It looks like a trilogy. I will check them out, thanks!
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    K, Try Hell House LLC
    It looks like a trilogy. I will check them out, thanks!
    I did see the first one. Working on the second. Though I am not a big found footage movie fan, this movie wasn't too bad. However, The House October Built, there are two, I feel are better acted.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

My Mood
    Confused

The Empty Man
    I thoroughly enjoyed the opening sequence and was hoping this would be a decent film. I was wrong. What started off as a pretty interesting supernatural horror movie, eventually ended up being a detective story that jumped around plots and storylines. You have a retired detective taking matters into his own hands when his neighbor's daughter goes missing. He does more then the police could ever do #sarcasm that the cops are an after thought. Where were they in this movie? Anyway, it was a very long film, too long, and it disappointed as it progressed. It had a budget, and the actors weren't bad, but the story fell flat and left me wondering what I was watching as it progressed. 2/5

My Mood
    Confused

Hunter Hunter
    Well acted, dreary setting, where a wolf is killing animals this small family traps. A real sad way of living imo. Anyway, the husband goes out to hunt the wolf and runs into a serial killer dump. Overall I enjoyed the film. It was well acted, I liked the characters and felt their despair. I wish it would have went more of the cops and the family hunting or wondering where the killer was/is, but it doesn't. I will add, the ending is very rough to watch and has haunted me for days though I consider this a dark thriller and not a horror film. 7/10

My Mood
    Confused

Wrong Turn 2021
    We already have a dozen of these nonmemorable movies, why not give this sludge a 2021 rehash! Crap 1/5

My Mood
    Confused

Son
    A woman has a son where the longer he doesn't "eat" he takes on physical pain and becomes annoying. I felt it was OK, but something I really wouldn't push anyone to watch unless they were desperate for horror. 2/5

My Mood
    Confused

The Vigil
    I tend to lose interest in horror movies that trick me with a descent trailer. With horror being by far my favorite genre as I assume people here too since this is basically a King fan site, I make a valid effort to watch horror movies that are out there. Not many good recent horror movies out there as this was no different. 2/5

Seventh Day
    Read above sentence 2/5

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

https://www.indiewire.com/feature/be...ms-1202012183/
    Why does it feel like horror movies are always undervalued? One thing’s for certain: In this age of geekery reigning supreme, critics and academics no longer dismiss the genre as disreputable with the kneejerk regularity some once did. But even now there’s talk of “elevated horror,” of artier explorations of dread and terror — Ari Aster’s “Hereditary” and Luca Guadagnino’s “Suspiria” being two very recent examples — that are clearly distinguished from, well, non-elevated horror. The idea being that they engage your brain more than just showing brains being splattered against the wall.

How can films that fire your adrenal glands, send shivers down your spine, raise goosebumps, and quicken breath — that inspire such an intense physical reaction — also be cerebral experiences? We forget all the time that, as Anna Karina’s Pierrot Le Fou character Marianne Renoir says, “There can be ideas in feelings.”

What scares people says a lot about them — as the recent debate about what it means if a viewer finds certain elements of “Get Out” scary or funny revealed very clearly. “Get Out” showed the similarity between horror and comedy, the two genres most often expected to provoke an immediate, visceral reaction. Maybe the aversion some viewers have to both genres is a fear of losing control: of laughing so hard you snort or having to turn away in fright, of embarrassing yourself. A lot of people simply don’t want to lose control, no matter what. What’s funny is that horror, like comedy, is a genre in which each filmmaker has to assert his or her utmost control over the material, has to perfectly calibrate the storytelling, so that we can lose it. Extreme control so that the audience can lose control.

The IndieWire staff put together this list of the 100 Greatest Horror Movies of All-Time to celebrate these intensely primal, personal films. Our writers and editors suggested over 150 titles and then voted on a list of finalists to determine the ultimate ranking. We hope it’s a list that captures the wide range and diversity of the genre, from underseen Laird Cregar vehicles to a Russian chiller based on a Nikolai Gogol story, from J-Horror to the Mexican gem “Alucarda.” Brace yourself for these movies: losing control will never be so much fun.

120. “The Blood on Satan’s Claw” (Piers Haggard, 1971)
    119. “Inside” (Alexandre Bustillo & Julien Maury, 2007)
    118. “Paranormal Activity” (Oren Peli, 2007)
    117. “Sinister” (Scott Derrickson, 2012)
    116. “The Orphanage” (J.A. Bayona, 2007)
    115. “Mandy” (Panos Cosmatos, 2018)
    114. “[Rec]” (Jaume Balagueró & Paco Plaza, 2007)
    113. “Saint Maud” (Rose Glass, 2020)
    112. “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” (Philip Kaufman, 1978)
    111. “Midsommar” (Ari Aster, 2019)
    110. “Dracula” (Tod Browning, 1931)
    109. “Hereditary” (Ari Aster, 2018)
    108. “The Strangers” (Bryan Bertino, 2008)
    107. “Häxan” (Benjamin Christensen, 1922)
    106. “Shutter Island” (Martin Scorsese, 2010)
    105. “The Night of the Hunter” (Charles Laughton, 1955)
    104. “The Mist” (Frank Darabont, 2007)
    103. “The Phantom Carriage” (Victor Sjöström, 1921)
    102. “Safe” (Todd Haynes, 1995)
    101. “Eraserhead” (David Lynch, 1977)
    100. “Village of the Damned” (Wolf Rilla, 1960)
    99. “The Ring” (Gore Verbinski, 2002)
    98. “The Changeling” (Peter Medak, 1980)
    97. “Alucarda” (Juan López Moctezuma, 1977)
    96. “Tales from the Hood” (Rusty Cundieff, 1995)
    95. “Messiah of Evil” (Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz, 1973)
    94. “A Bay of Blood” (Mario Bava, 1971)
    93. “Trouble Every Day” (Claire Denis, 2001)
    92. “The Tenant” (Roman Polanski, 1976)
    91. “Goodnight Mommy” (Veronika Franz and Severin Fiala, 2014)
    90. “The Leopard Man” (Jacques Tourneur, 1943)
    89. “Viy” (Konstantin Yershov and Georgi Kropachyov, 1967)
    88. “The Hunger” (Tony Scott, 1983)
    87. “Masque of the Red Death” (Roger Corman, 1964)
    86. “A Nightmare on Elm Street” (Wes Craven, 1984)
    85. “Antichrist” (Lars von Trier, 2009)
    84. “What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?” (Robert Aldrich, 1962)
    83. “The Ghost Ship” (Mark Robson, 1943)
    82. “The Skin I Live In” (Pedro Almodovar, 2011)
    81. “Suspiria” (Luca Guadagnino, 2018)
    80. “Kuroneko” (Kaneto Shindo, 1968)
    79. “Martyrs” (Pascal Laugier, 2008)
    78. “The Vanishing” (George Sluizer, 1988)
    77. “House on Haunted Hill” (William Castle, 1959)
    76. “Brotherhood of the Wolf” (Christophe Gans, 2001)
    75. “Sisters” (Brian De Palma, 1973)
    74. “Raw” (Julia Ducournau, 2016)
    73. “Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer” (John McNaughton, 1986)
    72. “Hour of the Wolf” (Ingmar Bergman, 1968)
    71. “Bram Stoker’s Dracula” (Francis Ford Coppola, 1992)
    70. “The Seventh Victim” (Mark Robson, 1943)
    69. “High Tension” (Alexandre Aja, 2003)
    68. “Dressed to Kill” (Brian De Palma, 1980)
    67. “Black Christmas” (Bob Clark, 1974)
    66. “The Descent” (Neil Marshall, 2005)
    65. “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” (Don Siegel, 1956)
    64. “A Tale of Two Sisters” (Kim Jee-woon, 2003)
    63. “Let the Right One In” (Tomas Alfredson, 2008)
    62. “Jacob’s Ladder” (Adrian Lyne, 1990)
    61. “Evil Dead II” (Sam Raimi, 1987)
    60. “Poltergeist” (Tobe Hooper, 1982)
    59. “The Sixth Sense” (M. Night Shyamalan, 1999)
    58. “The Haunting” (Robert Wise, 1963)
    57. “The Conjuring” (James Wan, 2013)
    56. “Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me” (David Lynch, 1992)
    55. “The Fog” (John Carpenter, 1980)
    54. “The Babadook” (Jennifer Kent, 2014)
    53. “The Witch” (Robert Eggers, 2015)
    52. “Frankenstein” (James Whale, 1931)
    51. “The Spiral Staircase” (Robert Siodmak, 1946)
    50. “Candyman” (Bernard Rose, 1992)
    49. “The Lodger” (John Brahm, 1944)
    48. “Carnival of Souls” (Herk Harvey, 1962)
    47. “Ganja & Hess” (Bill Gunn, 1973)
    46. “It Follows” (David Robert Mitchell, 2014)
    45. “The Blair Witch Project” (Daniel Myrick and Eduardo Sánchez, 1999)
    44. “The Brood” (David Cronenberg, 1979)
    43. “I Saw the Devil” (Kim Jee-Woon, 2011)
    42. “Freaks” (Tod Browning, 1932)
    41. “Possession” (Andrzej Zulawaki, 1981)
    40. “The Others” (Alejandro Amenábar, 2001)
    39. “The Devils” (Ken Russell, 1971)
    38. “Black Sunday” (Mario Bava, 1960)
    37. “Hausu” (Obayashi Nobuhiko, 1977)
    36. “Don’t Look Now” (Nicolas Roeg, 1973)
    35. “Hangover Square” (John Brahm, 1945)
    34. “The Devil’s Backbone” (Guillermo Del Toro, 2001)
    33. “Scream” (Wes Craven, 1996)
    32. “Near Dark” (Kathryn Bigelow, 1987)
    31. “The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari” (Robert Wiene, 1920)
    30. “The Wicker Man” (Robin Hardy, 1973)
    29. “The Innocents” (Jack Clayton, 1961)
    28. “Pulse” (Kiyoshi Kurosawa, 2001)
    27. “The Omen” (Richard Donner, 1976)
    26. “Bride of Frankenstein” (James Whale, 1935)
    25. “Suspiria” (Dario Argento, 1977)
    24. “The Birds” (Alfred Hitchcock, 1963)
    23. “I Walked With a Zombie” (Jacques Tourneur, 1943)
    22. “Repulsion” (Roman Polanski, 1965)
    21. “Carrie” (Brian De Palma, 1976)
    20. “The Fly” (David Cronenberg, 1986)
    19. “Get Out” (Jordan Peele, 2017)
    18. “The Silence of the Lambs” (Jonathan Demme, 1991)
    17. “Nosferatu” (F. W. Murnau, 1922)
    16. “Jaws” (Steven Spielberg, 1975)
    15. “Cat People” (Jacques Tourneur, 1942)
    14. “28 Days Later” (Danny Boyle, 2002)
    13. “Audition” (Takashi Miike, 1999)
    12. “Dawn of the Dead” (George A. Romero, 1978)
    11. “Deep Red” (Dario Argento, 1975)
    10. “Night of the Living Dead” (George Romero, 1968)
    9. “Alien” (Ridley Scott, 1979)
    8. “The Thing” (John Carpenter, 1982)
    7. “Eyes Without a Face” (Georges Franju, 1960)
    6. “Psycho” (Alfred Hitchcock, 1960)
    5. “Halloween” (John Carpenter, 1978)
    4. “The Exorcist” (William Friedkin, 1973)
    3. “Rosemary’s Baby” (Roman Polanski, 1968)
    2. “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” (Tobe Hooper, 1974
    1. “The Shining” (Stanley Kubrick, 1980)

My Mood
    Confused

Mae
    I think horror movies are undervalued because not everyone likes them. I don't have many friends that love them like I do. Funny thing is, based on cost to make, they are one of the biggest money makers for movie companies. I read that somewhere. I am a true horror fan, but also love dramas and thrillers that blend into the horror genre. Sci-fi does it well to at times.

My Mood
    Confused

Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
    Overall it wasn't bad. The pace was quicker then you would expect. It definitely wasn't solely on following the killer and his trial so I am not sure how much was actually factual to fiction. In real life we know Arne Johnson killed someone because he allegedly was possessed. He actually only served 5 years which is a surprise. But the story goes through other crimes and tends to look for similarities and even to prove the same demon had correlation with other cases. It was my least favorite of the three, but I did enjoy it and it was well acted.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's hard to take a horror movie list seriously if A Tale of Two Sisters doesn't even make the top 50. It's not only one of the best horror movies of all time, it should make the top 50 for any movie, regardless of genre. Same for classics like The Sixth Sense or Jacob's Ladder. I guess the compiler of the list just wants the goopy parts or jump scares. Audition at #13? If not for the shock value, should not even make the top 100. Perhaps Audition should be #1 for "most overrated movie by fanboys who don't know any better."

Although it's nice to see House listed. Also, two by Argento. But where's Opera?

My Mood
    Confused

The Mortuary Collection 2019
    I never heard of it but someone mentioned it, so I have it a look. For an anthology movie, it was really good. Not scary per say, but had it's creepy and bloody moments. It was well acted, has some interesting stories, and shot well. 6/10

My Mood
    Confused

Gaia
    Listed as a horror movie but I feel it is more of a thriller fantasy type movie. The cinematography was great imo. The acting was very well done, it had a unique and creepy story, the movie moved forward with little lag and it was intriguing to see where everything was headed, and it wasn't too bloody but it had it's disturbing moments. All in all it was very good and if someone is looking for something a little different and unique, then this would be something to consider. 7/10

Gunslinger Apprentice ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about ratchet41 has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

it's been awhile since i last watched a horror movie these last few i have not seen yet, found footage films should as i always say stay lost as i cannot stand them, all i get is fucking dizzy as hell whenever i try to watch one cause the camera is all over the damn place.

My Mood
    Confused

Werewolves Within
    A horror comedy where everyone is trapped in a hotel because a road is blocked and a bad snow storm is happening, and people believe a werewolf is killing people and it is hiding among them. Surprisingly the characters were all unique, fun, and had good dialogue. Overall I was surprised I liked it. 3/5

My Mood
    Confused

Separation
    The wife dies and the husband has to take care of his daughter alone and she starts talking to "her mother" and start seeing her father's puppet creations coming to life. I enjoyed the open sequence of the film and I do like the characters within the movie, but there were so many times the story dragged with nothing substantial to hold your attention. The "scares" in the film weren't frightening and the CGI looked low budget. I really wanted to see this film, and I didn't care for it at all. 2/5

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I recently watched the Fear Street trilogy on Netflix. I was pleasantly surprised. Not a horror masterpiece, but a lot of fun. Pays a lot of homage to the genre, right from the opening scene, and I liked how the three films were connected. It's a bit surprising that these weren't released in October, to be honest. Not just because of the genre, but also because of how fun they were. Definitely good to rewatch during the month, at least.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    I recently watched the Fear Street trilogy on Netflix. I was pleasantly surprised. Not a horror masterpiece, but a lot of fun. Pays a lot of homage to the genre, right from the opening scene, and I liked how the three films were connected. It's a bit surprising that these weren't released in October, to be honest. Not just because of the genre, but also because of how fun they were. Definitely good to rewatch during the month, at least.
    I watched these recently as well and really enjoyed them. Did you ever read the books at all? I was obsessed with them when I was younger and the movies definitely captured the essence of the books. I still have my collection so I pulled one out recently to read and it was a lot of fun. I plan to read some more over the coming months.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed the second movie the most. The tie in of all 3 movies wasn't bad either. Overall an OK trilogy.

My Mood
    Confused

Demonic
    I was sort of looking forward to this, but wasn't either. Anyway, it was all over the place, not well acted, not thought out well either; it was pretty bad. 2/5

My Mood
    Confused

Malignant James Wan
    I was looking forward to this. A woman has a major tragedy at home at the beginning of the movie and then has horrible premonitions or dreams of murders. Of course, she moves back home otherwise where is the plot. She has a friend that wants to "help her through this" and is rarely around. The score or music seemed too loud and not fitting for this film. The acting wasn't very good and if everyone died I could care the less as the characters aren't very likable. What can I say? The movie was not very good and another horror disappoint for the genre. I'm curious why these writers and directors don't sit down and think about what made some great horror movies so great back in the day, and kind of follow suit or get intelligent ideas. Sure there are some good recent films in horror, but recently the overhyped crap being pushed out, is just that, crap. 2/5

My Mood
    Confused

The Night House
    I was very much looking forward to this and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. The acting was very well done. The scenery was beautiful as was the house. The story unfolded nicely as the film carried on and the dreams Rebecca Hall was having were creepy, taunting, and made me intrigued to continue on. My one drawback was I wish they would have spent more time with Rebecca finding out more from her husband's suicide as to what he was going through. That isn't a spoiler btw. Overall it was a very good thriller sort of horror flick to watch at night and on the water . 4/5

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Night House is at the top of my list! I'm looking forward to it. It lasted in my theater for a week before it was pulled completely off the schedule, so I missed it. Glad to hear it was enjoyable!
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Confused

Halloween Kills
    Well, it had it's moments like the first new one. I didn't like the dragging and whining of characters laying in the hospital stating it was "their fault." When there was violence and death, it was violent. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't really good either. I did enjoy the ending. 3/5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 76 of 77 FirstFirst ... 26 66 74 75 76 77 LastLast