Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 77 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1916

Thread: Horror films

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Good man Bruce! Your taste is impeccable!

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by killjoy72 View Post
    Used to read manga in high school, haven't really much since, though I did start up Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind recently. I'd read through most of Berserk as it was translated, also have the orignal series on DVD. Amazing art. Part of the reason I lost interest in manga and anime is that the art became to streamlined, I like art with style, which Berserk had. Others that really stand out to me are Hayao Miyazaki, Katsuhiro Otomo and Yoshitaka Amano as well.
    I named my cat Nausicaa
    Nice! Berserk is streaming. Watching part 1 tonight!
    I saw the anime of 27-30 episodes? And if you haven't touched the manga then it gives you the option to go beyond that since many people don't realize many anime are comic/manga first. What makes it great is simply watching this normal type of story unfold and then all of a sudden, "was that a monster?" Since they don't exist, as the viewer, it becomes "what is going on?" The problem is is that when you get to the last episode you will be....wtf?! The reissue of the 3 trilogy movies is shortened for sure, but it ends the arc the way the show series should have ended. The other problem I have is that the art work is too good. So it takes the creator a LONG time to do his work. You won't see a new issue for 6 months? I honestly fear that with such an amazing idea and story, he will die before it is finished. There are tons of forums online complaining about this and stating he needs help making it or he needs to sell it to get it finished. It started in 1990. 1990?!
    I know this is a movie thread and I don't want to get too off topic. But from a horror perspective and there is a trilogy of the first arc, I figured it would fit in well here. I've talked about it before on the comic thread with some and if you know what is coming when watching movie 3, it is full blown horror all the way.
    http://www.mangareader.net/96/berserk.html
    The Manga rocked too, and yes the ending to the Berserk anime was definitely a wtf moment, but a good one IMO. Another absolutely killer horror manga is Junji Ito's Uzumaki (also a live action flick). I've heard good things about his other works too.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

@Theli. Didn't you tell me to read Spirals? I did read it and commented on it in the comic thread.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Sounds like something I would do, though I don't remember doing it

After checking the comic thread, it seems it was another Canuck that suggested it; WeDealInLead.

WHAT IS THIS?

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    WHAT IS THIS?
    The Terror 1963?
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Used to read manga in high school, haven't really much since, though I did start up Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind recently. I'd read through most of Berserk as it was translated, also have the orignal series on DVD. Amazing art. Part of the reason I lost interest in manga and anime is that the art became to streamlined, I like art with style, which Berserk had. Others that really stand out to me are Hayao Miyazaki, Katsuhiro Otomo and Yoshitaka Amano as well.
    I named my cat Nausicaa
    Nice! Berserk is streaming. Watching part 1 tonight!
    I saw the anime of 27-30 episodes? And if you haven't touched the manga then it gives you the option to go beyond that since many people don't realize many anime are comic/manga first. What makes it great is simply watching this normal type of story unfold and then all of a sudden, "was that a monster?" Since they don't exist, as the viewer, it becomes "what is going on?" The problem is is that when you get to the last episode you will be....wtf?! The reissue of the 3 trilogy movies is shortened for sure, but it ends the arc the way the show series should have ended. The other problem I have is that the art work is too good. So it takes the creator a LONG time to do his work. You won't see a new issue for 6 months? I honestly fear that with such an amazing idea and story, he will die before it is finished. There are tons of forums online complaining about this and stating he needs help making it or he needs to sell it to get it finished. It started in 1990. 1990?!
    I know this is a movie thread and I don't want to get too off topic. But from a horror perspective and there is a trilogy of the first arc, I figured it would fit in well here. I've talked about it before on the comic thread with some and if you know what is coming when watching movie 3, it is full blown horror all the way.
    http://www.mangareader.net/96/berserk.html
    The Manga rocked too, and yes the ending to the Berserk anime was definitely a wtf moment, but a good one IMO. Another absolutely killer horror manga is Junji Ito's Uzumaki (also a live action flick). I've heard good things about his other works too.
    Never knew it was based on anything. Loved that movie.

My Mood
    Confused

Sounds like something I would do, though I don't remember doing it
    After checking the comic thread, it seems it was another Canuck that suggested it; WeDealInLead.
    Well, thanks to both of you. I enjoyed it. Once it became too repetitive, it ended. Which was nice to not go too long.

My Mood
    Confused

[/QUOTE]Never knew it was based on anything. Loved that movie.[/QUOTE]
    Well Heather, I put in the thread a link to the manga if you so desire. It extends way beyond the trilogy. And not to sound like an idiot, I never knew what manga was until roughly 4 years ago. The Internet is truly an amazing idea.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I was talking about Uzumaki Haven't seen Berserk.

WHAT IS THIS?
    The Terror 1963?
    WRONG.
    The Terror screen credits only list Corman & Coppola.
    Spoiler:
    Trick Question
    The right answer is...

Gunslinger Apprentice chucknbuck will become famous soon enough chucknbuck's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One of my favorite horror movies of recent years was "the loved ones".

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

WHAT IS THIS?
    The Terror 1963?
    WRONG.
    The Terror screen credits only list Corman & Coppola.
    Spoiler:
    Trick Question
    The right answer is...

Interesting, I didn't even know this existed.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by chucknbuck View Post
    Yeah that was a fun one. Aussies have been making great horror flicks lately. The Babadook was fantastic too.

My Mood
    Confused

Yeah that was a fun one. Aussies have been making great horror flicks lately. The Babadook was fantastic too.
    I got into a verbal argument about the Babadook with Still Servant. Not to dredge up old wounds, but I thought it was a RL Stein kid's movie. Not frightening to me at all. I love the main actress as she was outstanding, I enjoyed the story, but I hated (hated) her son. He annoyed me so much I wish he would have died within the first 5 minutes of the movie. An actor told me once, "Annoying isn't acting. It is just annoying"
    I thought "It Follows," "Conjuring" and "Incidious" were better. Though watching "Incidious" a second time some of the guys on here are right about the music causing the scares to frighten you, but that was a lot of the older style feel horror movies were like back then. When you heard the music coming, you knew Michael from Halloween was near. Or the music in "Jaws." But I get it as to why people didn't like Incidious much. Like the "Blair Witch Project," I enjoyed the uniqueness of the style it was and the originality, but Blair Witch didn't frighten me. what frightened me more was all the bad "camera movies" that followed it and that are still produced.
    As for "Paranormal Activity," I didn't love it, but some of the "happenings" in the movie actually happened to me personally. No one died in my life, but what happened to me made me believe in ghosts, so ghost type haunting and movies, well, freak me out if they are done well or half-ass well. After watching "It Follows" twice, I am lying in bed last night and thinking and believing some girl is walking right in my room. Yes, I slept poorly last night.

My Mood
    Confused

Is the Loved Ones the movie from 2009 then? I looked it up and saw a couple of movies titled the same. Is it about a girl and prom?

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It Follows has been one of the better horror movies that I've seen in recent memory. I've been listening to the soundtrack quite a bit lately too!

My Mood
    Confused

It Follows has been one of the better horror movies that I've seen in recent memory. I've been listening to the soundtrack quite a bit lately too!
    I am not listening to the soundtrack. I have a hard time not thinking about "it" following me around as it is. More power to you.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

It Follows was solid. A cool original story. Been having some in depth discussions about it lately on a horror movie forum I post on. I don't believe that the entity in this movie is necessarily a ghost. At no point is it suggested to be a spirit. It could be demonic, alien, spiritual or otherworldly, we don't know. So for me it is simply the entity.

Allasorte: Horror movies rarely if ever scare me anymore. Instead I watch them more for the atmosphere (and some gore when the mood strikes). Was the kid annoying in The Babadook? You better believe it, though it's 100% intentional. Spoilers: in the beginning the director is trying to convince us it is the child who has emotional, developmental or mental disorders, however as the film progresses we learn more and more it is in fact his mother that is deeply affected, and rather the child is the outcome of the disorders, and we (I) sympathize with him. Also as the movie progresses he seems to become less annoying. Either way I thought the kid pulled off the role well, and the type of annoying that he pulls off is well done, it's not just a weiner like Adam Sandler annoying me with a nasaly voice and bad jokes, but a young actor who is able to portray a disturbed child.

Gunslinger Apprentice chucknbuck will become famous soon enough chucknbuck's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Is the Loved Ones the movie from 2009 then? I looked it up and saw a couple of movies titled the same. Is it about a girl and prom?
    That is it.

My Mood
    Confused

It Follows was solid. A cool original story. Been having some in depth discussions about it lately on a horror movie forum I post on. I don't believe that the entity in this movie is necessarily a ghost. At no point is it suggested to be a spirit. It could be demonic, alien, spiritual or otherworldly, we don't know. So for me it is simply the entity.

Allasorte: Horror movies rarely if ever scare me anymore. Instead I watch them more for the atmosphere (and some gore when the mood strikes). Was the kid annoying in The Babadook? You better believe it, though it's 100% intentional. Spoilers: in the beginning the director is trying to convince us it is the child who has emotional, developmental or mental disorders, however as the film progresses we learn more and more it is in fact his mother that is deeply affected, and rather the child is the outcome of the disorders, and we (I) sympathize with him. Also as the movie progresses he seems to become less annoying. Either way I thought the kid pulled off the role well, and the type of annoying that he pulls off is well done, it's not just a weiner like Adam Sandler annoying me with a nasaly voice and bad jokes, but a young actor who is able to portray a disturbed child.
    I know. The kid
    spoiler
    . It was just hard for me to swallow. But yes The Babadook has been better then most that is out there. And yes, I am tired of Adam Sandler and the people who put money in his pockets . I will look into "Loved Ones."

I heard mixed things about The Loved Ones, but I'll give it a shot. I'm always looking for good horror films because there's not many these days.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

No movie is for everybody, as suggest by mine and allasorte's differing opinions on The Babadook, but the Loved Ones is worth a shot. Pretty original concept, with it's share of gore but also some good yucks.

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Another good modern indie horror flick was Lovely Molly. A solid haunting flick, there's a couple flicks I could compare it to, but won't as it might give some stuff away. Not specifically unique, but not cliche either and it's well done.

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not really horror, more of a thriller really, but I was pleasantly surprised with "You're Next".
    I never heard of The Loved Ones. Added it to my queue.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 77 FirstFirst ... 41 49 50 51 52 53 61 ... LastLast