+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Horror films

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Trilogy Of Terror !!

That cracked me up !

Oh, Carpenter's The Thing is seriously worth seeing. ( Hmmm.... not sure I ever considered it a Horror Movie, though ).

The Fly. :meh: By today's standards, it's gooey but not exactly good. Mostly, it kind of turned my stomach more than scared me.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    Monsters. Aliens. Other lifeforms.

But I will watch almost anything horror, from Entrails of a Virgin to John Carpenter's The Thing to The Spiral Staircase to The Trollenberg Terror (aka The Crawling Eye).

Of course I won't necessarily watch it twice.

<snip>
    <snip>

Ugh, need to see The Thing, saw a few clips of it, and it truly looks terrifying! I'm always fascinated by the kind of body horror that films like that can achieve so successfully, where a man slowly, VERY slowly, starts to change into something inhuman. It's why I think District 9 is shocking and in some places genuinely horrifying, and why I also want to watch David Cronenberg's The Fly. Idk, i think i've been drawn to it, to that kind of horror, ever since seeing a man's hand wrapped in green bubble wrap in Dr Who when i was just 8 years old!

<snip>
    <snip>

Definitely check out The Thing as it is also explores the themes of isolation and trust and is one of the few all male casts that I can recall. The Fly is also one to check out.

<snip>
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Ugh, need to see The Thing, saw a few clips of it, and it truly looks terrifying! I'm always fascinated by the kind of body horror that films like that can achieve so successfully, where a man slowly, VERY slowly, starts to change into something inhuman. It's why I think District 9 is shocking and in some places genuinely horrifying, and why I also want to watch David Cronenberg's The Fly. Idk, i think i've been drawn to it, to that kind of horror, ever since seeing a man's hand wrapped in green bubble wrap in Dr Who when i was just 8 years old!
    You most definitely need to check out The Thing. Apart from the perennial body horror that's rampant throughout, the films greatest strength is the exploration of themes like isolation and the not knowing of who to confide / trust in, and that lingering sense of paranoia that's ever present throughout the film. It is my favorite horror film.
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    <snip>

Oh, Carpenter's The Thing is seriously worth seeing. ( Hmmm.... not sure I ever considered it a Horror Movie, though ).<snip>
    Universal praise from me, feev, AND Pam - sounds like you MUST see this movie.

Non-movie spoilier

feev, it's my #1 horror, too.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
    anyone seen creep?
    i did, i loved it to start with, then it went the same as all the others, which was a shame

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    my favorite horrors are:

any quiet creeping family horror including children of any kind: changelings, ghosts, ghost-seers, dangerously insane, just "weird", dead etc

anything taking place in a psychiatric asylum

anything related to psychopathology, except the cases when the authors try to draw an additional "moral", and the psychopath is the moralist (Saw; The Silence of the Lamb, etc): these are usually shit

The best ones I've seen so far have been El Orfanato and The Others.
    i love asylum films and children (esp when they are singing **shivers**), anything slow and where the atmosphere and music as opposed to blood and guts. Dont get me wrong i love a good slasher movie, but they aren't scarey enough for me. I love hiding behind a cushion and then being too scared to go to bed alone

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Thing is great! The original movie was less so. John Carpenter's was closer to the original novella/short story.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

But I will watch almost anything horror, from Entrails of a Virgin to John Carpenter's The Thing to The Spiral Staircase to The Trollenberg Terror (aka The Crawling Eye).

<snip>
    <snip>

<snip>
    <snip>

Definitely check out The Thing as it is also explores the themes of isolation and trust and is one of the few all male casts that I can recall. The Fly is also one to check out.

<snip>
    You most definitely need to check out The Thing. Apart from the perennial body horror that's rampant throughout, the films greatest strength is the exploration of themes like isolation and the not knowing of who to confide / trust in, and that lingering sense of paranoia that's ever present throughout the film. It is my favorite horror film.
    <snip>

Oh, Carpenter's The Thing is seriously worth seeing. ( Hmmm.... not sure I ever considered it a Horror Movie, though ).<snip>

Non-movie spoilier

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    The Thing is great! The original movie was less so. John Carpenter's was closer to the original novella/short story.
    Now is there any question?

True story. I was lying on the floor beside my brother's Siberian Husky the first time I saw The Thing.

My Mood
    Gay

A big part about Carpenter's Thing being so great ... Feev puts it perfectly - "the exploration of themes like isolation and the not knowing of who to confide / trust in, and that lingering sense of paranoia that's ever present throughout the film."

... it is that aspect that of the movie that completely backbones the entire film and makes it more than just a horror or sci-fi movie.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Well I may as well add in some love for The Thing too . It really is a great film. I'd recommend checking it out.
    Was the original really bad? I've been wanting to see that one.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Worried

<snip>
    <snip>

<snip>
    <snip>

<snip>
    <snip>

Non-movie spoilier

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Now is there any question?

True story. I was lying on the floor beside my brother's Siberian Husky the first time I saw The Thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Well I may as well add in some love for The Thing too . It really is a great film. I'd recommend checking it out.
    Was the original really bad? I've been wanting to see that one.
    A big part about Carpenter's Thing being so great ... Feev puts it perfectly - "the exploration of themes like isolation and the not knowing of who to confide / trust in, and that lingering sense of paranoia that's ever present throughout the film."

... it is that aspect that of the movie that completely backbones the entire film and makes it more than just a horror or sci-fi movie.
    It's not bad, it's just not as good. Certainly it doesn't seem as scary to our modern sensibilities.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ok, i'm aware i do need to see this film, and badly. Truth be told, i actually did try to watch it round a mate's once, but the video we were watching was OLD, and in bad condition, so much so that it was practically unwatchable, so in the end I just gave up on it. I'll pick it up cheap on dvd, somewhere.

Now, I always enjoy a film like that - where paranoia and claustrophobia rise so much you start to feel the panic yourself, but I actually find that a lot of the best horror movies are like that, pam. Not all of them, and there a few films out there that can achieve this that may not be thought of as "horror", but i think these elements are so closely connected with the best horror movies (or even on tv with shows like "The X Files", Ice is easily one of my favourites from Season One because it achieves all of this), that these days is easy to think of a film which has those elements as "horror", anyway.

Again, it's another reason why I quite liked the Children - the building mistrust between two families is fantastic! (Although, it is set at xmas, so nothing unusual there.)
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Worried

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    i love asylum films and children (esp when they are singing **shivers**), anything slow and where the atmosphere and music as opposed to blood and guts. Dont get me wrong i love a good slasher movie, but they aren't scarey enough for me. I love hiding behind a cushion and then being too scared to go to bed alone
    candylove, could you recommend something to a bear?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Gay

DD !! That's one of my all time favorite X-Files episodes!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

who wants to make a list of scariest movies ever? (if possible, specify some keywords so people/animals who don't know the movie would have an idea of what type it is)

The scariest, not the best; it doesn't have to be the same.

1. El Orphanato [children, ghosts]

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Woofer, if you love the transformation in AAWIL, I suggest you track down Brit series Being Human.
    Absolutely! Being Human is fantastic, makes me proud of British tv

My Dad is more of a horror fan than I am, but I remember the first time he ever watched The Thing, he said he double checked he'd locked all the doors before he went to bed His ultimate film is Alien. He said the first time he ever saw that scene with John Hurt it was just so unexpected and well executed (ha, excuse the pun!)

I'm a bit of a horror wuss, but at the same time I'm drawn to them - like, if I come across one I'm compelled to watch it, even though I don't go out of my way to. I find the more modern stuff like Saw too disturbing - I haven't watched any of them, the closest I've gotten to that kinda torture horror is Wolf Creek which was too freaky.

I like horror to be over the top or fantastical.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Darkthoughts View Post
    Woofer, if you love the transformation in AAWIL, I suggest you track down Brit series Being Human.
    Absolutely! Being Human is fantastic, makes me proud of British tv

My Dad is more of a horror fan than I am, but I remember the first time he ever watched The Thing, he said he double checked he'd locked all the doors before he went to bed His ultimate film is Alien. He said the first time he ever saw that scene with John Hurt it was just so unexpected and well executed (ha, excuse the pun!)

I'm a bit of a horror wuss, but at the same time I'm drawn to them - like, if I come across one I'm compelled to watch it, even though I don't go out of my way to. I find the more modern stuff like Saw too disturbing - I haven't watched any of them, the closest I've gotten to that kinda torture horror is Wolf Creek which was too freaky.

I like horror to be over the top or fantastical.
    I'm afraid I'm exactly the same, Dt. I like a good horror film, but only if it doesn't go past my realistic gore limit. OTT gore, such as Planet Terror, that I can handle because it's less of a horror and more of a comedy, but I just can't watch torture films. With the exception of some of the Saw films: it's weird, but the puzzle-like nature of the traps tones it down for me. Films like Hostel, on the other hand, where the torture is done by other people...yeah, that kinda stuff just shreads my nerves a little too much. Still, I love a bit of gore if there's some imagination behind it.

And Alien is always a classic. Especially the scene with John Hurt: not only one of the most memorable scenes in scifi horror history, but it has also been used by men all around the world to explain to their wives that they DO know how painful going into labour can be!

- Melike

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I know what you're saying with the gore - I watched Evil Dead 2 and was fine with that, because it was OTT and funny. Again, like you, Hostel is not something that appeals to me at all. Even the acted terror of the characters just makes it too uncomfortable for me.

Not a film I've watched, but what was it about Event Horizon that terrified people so much? Even hardened horror buffs I know say that was too much for them.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

You know, I'm not sure. I saw it a long time ago, and I was ok with it myself. It creeped me out, sure, but I've seen scarier. It's just basically a haunted house movie in space, with some light dashings of Hellraiser in. There really wasn't that much that I found truly original with the film, tbh.

Now speaking of Hellraiser: watched that once, and...fuck. I mean, fuck! It's probably one of the most fucked up films I've ever seen! It's sick, it's nasty, and it nearly made me throw up. Of course, another British classic!

- Melike

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I liked all the 80's horrors like Fright Night, Lost Boys, Waxwork...that kinda stuff was more amusing than scary.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

I am totally in love with any kind of horror movies except teen slasher movies like My Bloody Valentine.

Asian horror movies are on top of my list. Some of them has a romantic/dramatic point of view, about death, villains, monsters.
    Besides, I love surreal, absurd, bizarre images and storylines in a movie.

Vampire movies!

I also like torture movies. Ichi the Killer...

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, Ichi the Killer! Another film that I've seen, despite my high aversion to gore, only at the constant insistence of my best mate, of course!

Having said that, during the one scene my mate said he could NEVER watch, I of course decided to watch it. Just because I'm weird like that. And the fact that my best mate and I are constant arch enemies and will do anything to prove that oneself is better than the other bastard!

Spoiler:
    It was the tongue slicing off scene. Yowch!

- Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure I'd quality Ichi as a full fledged horror film, but it is very damn gory / unnerving to be sure ! The part that got to me the most was :

Spoiler:
    When that Yakuza boss is hanging from the hooks and Kakihara pours the boiling water over him !

Gunslinger Apprentice thebumblerinblack is on a distinguished road thebumblerinblack's Avatar

Ichi the Killer is great, the most fucked up movie I'd seen until I watched Antichrist...but have you seen other films by Ichi's director, Takashi Miike? That guy is so twisted, two of his movies I'd recommend to this thread are Gozu, and Imprint. Imprint was one of the Masters of Horror episodes, has anyone seen that series from Showtime? Definitely some good ones from that (Pelts, Pro-Life, Dreams in the Witch House).

My Mood
    Worried

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Now speaking of Hellraiser: watched that once, and...fuck. I mean, fuck! It's probably one of the most fucked up films I've ever seen! It's sick, it's nasty, and it nearly made me throw up. Of course, another British classic!
    I totally agree with this it scared the shit out of me. I was only a kid when I saw it and i STILL have nightmares about it.

I like more supernatural horror like The Ring and The Grudge despite scating the shit out of me.

The most recent thing I have seen which spooked me loads was Evil Dead 1 - the whole bit with that laughing possessed girl was intense.

My other half bought me a hammer horror collection for Xmas and The Nanny is a cracking film - it is scary in a non gory kind of way. The power play between the nanny and the kid in it is really spooky!!

My Mood
    Worried

I'm not sure I'd quality Ichi as a full fledged horror film, but it is very damn gory / unnerving to be sure ! The part that got to me the most was :

Spoiler:
    When that Yakuza boss is hanging from the hooks and Kakihara pours the boiling water over him !
    That was
    Spoiler:
    boiling oil from the tempura he had been cooking before they arrived.

/over & out

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 77 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 52 ... LastLast