Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Full Dark, No Stars

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CurtSeattle View Post
    Is there an advantage/disadvantage to purchasing this from a particular seller?

Amazon has it a super discount, so any reason not to purchase there?

Or Simon Schuster?

Or ???

I'd want a 1st/1st obviously (even if it ends up being read by me once and I get a S/L or something later).

Thanks for any insight!
    Curt, I always try to buy my US copy from a local bookseller--mainly because I want to support them. I realize this may cost a bit more, but, to me, it's worth it. I also realize that not everyone can afford to do this. I DO buy my UK editions from Amazon.co.uk, though. I've only had one problem with a damaged book from them and that was remedied quickly.

John

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Lilja has found the cover!

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why does it scream "Twilight" to me?

y'know, I was assuming this was just a night time themed title like all of his other short story/novella books. Not so sure now
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It does remind me of something, but not Twilight...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    Why does it scream "Twilight" to me?

y'know, I was assuming this was just a night time themed title like all of his other short story/novella books. Not so sure now
    I know what you mean!!! Not exactly the cover I would have chosen, but hey, who am I, right? I'm sure the stories will quickly make us forget the cover!! or maybe shed more light on it?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It seems to play on the fact that she looks beheaded... but the picture is taken from the top.

IMO, it looks too simple to be the final cover...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It could also be a fake. With a title like that, I would almost expect a completely black cover.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Country
    Country Flag

Fake? On Scribner's site?

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Not 'fake', but maybe 'placeholder' would be a better word? When the would-be-cover for Under The Dome went live, there was also some speculation about it being the final cover. Most likely it's standard practice to add a picture to the page of a forthcoming title, maybe to give customers the sense of 'development'?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have no real opinion on this discussion one way or the other. It's very unusual for Scribner to publish the cover of a new book this early, but...

John

Citizen of Gilead Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja's Avatar

I guess we'll have to wait and see but it looks to finished if you ask me to be a placeholder. And it's hard to know if it's a good cover until you have read the book...

Lilja

Join Lilja’s Library on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/LiljasLibrary

Join Lilja’s Library on facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Liljas...12537032112502

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If you turn the cover counterclockwise, the person's body kinda looks like the crimson eye...

Life is a garden...dig it!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    It does remind me of something, but not Twilight...
    It looks like some of the manipulated photos JK Potter does:

Country
    Country Flag

Not sure that's what I was thinking. I thought more of another book cover. Anyway, Amazon has a high-resolution version:

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe someone could ask marsha if its the final cover?
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Country
    Country Flag

Looks final to me. I love it. And a different style for King.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

At first glance I didn't care much for it, but after seeing it a few times it has grown on me. I like it too.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Country
    Country Flag

SK.com has a high-definition version: http://www.stephenking.com/images/bo...rs/fdns_hd.jpg

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks to Lilja and Bev for finding this new description of this collection on Amazon.co.uk:

'I believe there is another man inside every man, a stranger...' writes Wilfred Leland James in the early pages of the riveting confession that makes up '1922', the first in this pitch-black quartet of mesmerising tales from Stephen King, linked by the theme of retribution. For James, that stranger is awakened when his wife Arlette proposes selling off the family homestead and moving to Omaha, setting in motion a gruesome train of murder and madness.

In 'Big Driver', a cozy-mystery writer named Tess encounters the stranger is along a back road in Massachusetts when she takes a shortcut home after a book-club engagement. Violated and left for dead, Tess plots a revenge that will bring her face to face with another stranger: the one inside herself.

'Fair Extension', the shortest of these tales, is perhaps the nastiest and certainly the funniest. Making a deal with the devil not only saves Harry Streeter from a fatal cancer but provides rich recompense for a lifetime of resentment.

When her husband of more than twenty years is away on one of his business trips, Darcy Anderson looks for batteries in the garage. Her toe knocks up against a box under a worktable and she discovers the stranger inside her husband. It’s a horrifying discovery, rendered with bristling intensity, and it definitively ends 'A Good Marriage'.

Like DIFFERENT SEASONS and FOUR PAST MIDNIGHT, which generated such enduring hit films as The Shawshank Redemption and Stand by Me, FULL DARK, NO STARS proves Stephen King a master of the long story form.
    Sounds like King is going for (mostly) pure realism here like some of his latest short fiction (The Gingerbread Girl, Morality, Premium Harmony). I'm lovin' it.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

From the SKMB:

1922 is 96 manuscript pages
    A Good Marriage is 63 manuscript pages
    Big Driver is 82 manuscript pages
    Fair Extension is 25 manuscript pages

John

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    From the SKMB:

John
    It's a short collection!

Country
    Country Flag

Scribner says 352 pages. About the same as Just After Sunset.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    From the SKMB:

John
    266 Total manuscript pages.

1922 is 96 manuscript pages-36%
    A Good Marriage is 63 manuscript pages-24%
    Big Driver is 82 manuscript pages-31%
    Fair Extension is 25 manuscript pages-9%

Numbers rounded.

Country
    Country Flag

As a stats-man, thanks for that

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast