Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Marvel's The Stand Comics - All Series Discussion

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Interesting interview with The Stand colorist Laura Martin over at CBR.

Laura Martin Interview

Includes some preview pages of AmNight 4.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Traveler DrBat is on a distinguished road

Default The Stand: Soul Survivors #2

THE STAND: SOUL SURVIVORS #2 (of 5)
    Written by ROBERTO AGUIRRE-SACASA
    Penciled by MIKE PERKINS
    Cover by LEE BERMEJO
    Variant Cover by MIKE PERKINS
    Reeling from the death of his companion Rita Blakemore (not to mention his own near-death), Larry Underwood is wandering the highways of New England, on the verge of mental and physical collapse. And someone is following him. A mysterious woman with raven-dark hair named...Nadine Cross. Face facts, True-Believers, you've never met a woman like Nadine. Nor a boy like her feral, murderous sidekick "Joe." The spotlight on the "soul survivors" of Stephen King's horror epic continues this issue!
    32 PGS./Cardstock Cover/Parental Advisory ...$3.99
    (c)2009 Stephen King. All rights reserved. Published by arrangement with The Doubleday Broadway Publishing Group, a division of Random House, Inc.This graphic novel is produced under license from The Doubleday Broadway Publishing Group and Stephen King.

Finally! I've been waiting for Nadine to show up! She's only the best character in the book.

My Mood
    Gay

Welcome to the site, DrBat !

Always great to see another comic fan join up !!

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't been buying The Stand comics, but that's a great picture. I thought the face might be a woman before, erm, scrolling down. I assume it's that feral kid...

Gunslinger Apprentice johnsmith87 will become famous soon enough johnsmith87's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, that's probably my favorite cover of the series so far.

My Mood
    Gay

Default The Stand: American Nightmares Hardcover

COVER BY: Mike Perkins
    WRITER: Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa
    PENCILS: Mike Perkins
    THE STORY:
    The deadly super flu Captain Trips has devastated the country and now the few survivors must pick up the pieces and go on. Larry Underwood seeks escape from New York City. Lloyd contemplates an extremely unsavory dinner option in jail, and Stu Redman makes a desperate bid for freedom from his interrogators. Most ominous of all, the stange being called Randall Flagg continues his dread journey across the devastated landscape of America. You must not miss it!

Collecting THE STAND: AMERICAN NIGHTMARE #1-5.

PRICE: 24.99
    IN STORES: January 7, 2010

Hardcover: 136 pages
    Publisher: Marvel Comics
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 0785142746
    ISBN-13: 978-0785142744

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That picture of the old lady looks way too masculine. Heh. Come to think of it Flagg looks rather effeminate!

Quite a striking image though.

My Mood
    Gay

Yeah, not my favorite cover, at all.

Also, this might not be the final cover image, but it's what Marvel is showing now.

No word on any variants ( thank goodness!! ).

Gunslinger Apprentice johnsmith87 will become famous soon enough johnsmith87's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe I'm wrong but wouldn't this one be the variant? Lee Bermejo does all of the regular covers, and Mike Perkins does the variants. The image they're currently using for the cover was done by Perkins, but they used one of Bermejo's covers for the h.b. of Captain Trips. Not sure why they would change it now.

My Mood
    Gay

I don't know - could be. I checked the Marvel site and they don't say anything about a variant cover - they just show the one above ( ie - the only cover ). Could be that they just wanted a striking image and picked that one.

I'm all for multiple covers -- cause Marvel knows that, there will likely be more than one.

My Mood
    Gay

Just got an update from Amazon, that the release date has been changed to January 07, 2010.

Traveler BigCrazy247 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I just checked at my store and yeah...the date has changed. That
    happens a lot, though. We'll get it in the previous Wednesday and then
    put it out on the 7th.

My Mood
    Gay

Check it out - Updated from Amazon.
    Stephen King's The Stand Vol. 1: Captain Trips (Hardcover)

Hardcover: 160 pages
    Publisher: Marvel Books (January 5, 2010)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 078514272X
    ISBN-13: 978-0785142720
    List Price: $24.99

Available for : $16.49 from Amazon. I believe that is a Lee Bermejo cover above. ~ turtlex

Barnes and Nobel and Borders are showing the regular cover from the comic shop releases :

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Ooh, that Amazon cover rocks!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, that Amazon cover is chock full o' win.

Goldmember Míchéal is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I am clearly in the wrong thread lol

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Has Anyone Stopped Reading The Stand Comics?

It has nothing to do with the quality of the series--Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa is a great writer (you should read his Spider-Man) and Mike Perkins a great artist. But to me, this would be better read as a series of graphic novels as opposed to individual issues. Reading it month by month is slooooowwww. I just couldn't get into it. A number of King's books take a while to get their feet off the ground, which is fine in novel form, but if you're doing a direct translation in comics it doesn't come off as well. So this is hardly a critique of the quality in and out of itself, but rather the presentation of it. I know Marvel gets more money this way, but it doesn't benefit the story that much.

At this rate, I can only imagine what it's going to be like during the "epilogue" section at the end of the book.

Personally, I think it would be better just to do an anthology series with each issue being based on one of King's short stories, or adapt one of his shorter novels over a span of 5-10 issues. (Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, for example, or Eyes of the Dragon?)
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

As a very irregular comics reader, going by individual issues always seem way too slow. I like the excitement of looking forward to something new every month, but much prefer reading anthologies.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I wait until each arc is finished, then I read that one. I haven't kept up with The Stand, however. No real reason, though, just haven't gotten around to them.

John

My Mood
    Gay

I get each issue and look forward to it. I agree that's it slow unfolding, but I like that - the patience involved doesn't bother me at all.

Country
    Country Flag

I usually wait a couple of months and then get the latest few issues. That way I can read more than just one at a time. I'm still enjoying the series, though.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes. And I thought that I was the only one. That's my feeling exactly; I just mean to pick up the hardcovers on that series. Especially since I'm collecting every issue of Dark Tower, and now The Talisman. Just doesn't seem worth the effort to go after The Stand in that way.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I dropped it quite a while ago now. It's good, it's a very faithful adaptation, but that's kinda the problem: i'm reading exactly the same story as i read in the book. Might as well just save my money for the Dark Tower comics. Though i might get the hardcovers eventually.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When I read the title of this thread I was reminded of the time I dropped my copy of the uncut The Stand on my toes. I was about 17, and it was during the summer, so the summer of 1991. You may have heard it Pam. It was a Thursday.

As far as the comic goes, I haven't been getting it at all. I figure to get it in the GN format if I get it at all.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    When I read the title of this thread I was reminded of the time I dropped my copy of the uncut The Stand on my toes. I was about 17, and it was during the summer, so the summer of 1991. You may have heard it Pam. It was a Thursday.

As far as the comic goes, I haven't been getting it at all. I figure to get it in the GN format if I get it at all.
    Me too! Well, to be entirely correct I didn't think about Sam's toes, I thought about the time I dropped my hardcover and it hit corner down on hardwood. It survived, slightly crumpled, but I saw it come apart in my mind before it finished landing. It wasn't a deer, but for a moment there...
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast