Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: On Writing: 10th Anniversary Edition (Scribner Classics)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default On Writing: 10th Anniversary Edition (Scribner Classics)

Not sure what new, if anything, there will be, but Scribner is publishing a new 10th anniversary edition of On Writing on July 13, 2010. What's interesting is that it's a hardcover, not a paperback, as it's usually done with such reprints.

There is only this short description:

A Scribner Classics edition of Stephen King's critically lauded, million-copy bestseller about the craft of writing.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/1439193630/

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That is unusual. Should be interesting.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

they did a BAG OF BONES one...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Gunslinger Apprentice CrimsonMordred is on a distinguished road CrimsonMordred's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've read that book and listened to the audio countless times. I think it has helped my writing go up by 75% at least.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read the book up to the writing exercise. I totally intended to do it, then carry on. Except... I didn't and so I haven't. Heh.

I enjoyed what I read though. Interesting to see King's planning tends to be different from many authors. I.e. start with a situation and characters... and go from there rather than plotting out the whole thing. (Not that he's against plotting entirely, he just seems to see that as a last resort. At least that's how I read it.)

I don't think there's really a right or wrong though, but his way looks interesting. I rarely start a story not knowing how it will end though, although the stuff in between is often ambiguous. When I write. Something I intend to do more of. In better English than those last two sentences.

Gunslinger Apprentice CrimsonMordred is on a distinguished road CrimsonMordred's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't really find interest in the writing exercise, it seemed a little cliched with his book "Rose Madder" in a lot of ways, plus the abusive, criminal husband genre really isn't much of of my style.

From what I understand he only held the exercise for about 2 years after he brought the book out. Now he's stopped taking submissions for it, unsurprisingly.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonMordred View Post
    I didn't really find interest in the writing exercise, it seemed a little cliched with his book "Rose Madder" in a lot of ways, plus the abusive, criminal husband genre really isn't much of of my style.
    It's not really the sort of subject matter I'd usually choose either, although I liked the twist he gave at the end. I partly wanted to do it because it was different than what I'd usually go for. Actually, much of the story is mapped out in my head, and I had a further twist of my own. I'm not sure it's all that good though.

From what I understand he only held the exercise for about 2 years after he brought the book out. Now he's stopped taking submissions for it, unsurprisingly.
    I heard that too. I wasn't going to submit it myself anyway, it was a creative exercise. Or would have been, if I'd, like, done it. Heh.

+ Reply to Thread