Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: New King books for 2010

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's a nice-looking cover, but it doesn't gibe with the title at all. It's not dark, and there are stars!

Banned demorgan is on a distinguished road

The Uk cover is alot better than the US cover...

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Really? I like the US version a lot better. Plus the UK cover has those ghastly quotes like a DVD.

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

I agree with pablo. The US cover is much more exciting, or at least much more interesting. The UK one looks sorta typical and clichéed (as they almost always do), and like pablo said; it has stars, and that's odd. The title of the book is Full Dark, No Stars, and not Nearly Dark, Many Stars.

Gunslinger Apprentice LineofEld is on a distinguished road LineofEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think the US cover is much more naked and vulnerable. The UK cover looks Children of the Corn-ish to me.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I dont really know if i prefer the finished or the not finished UK cover...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DanishCollector View Post
    and like pablo said; it has stars, and that's odd. The title of the book is Full Dark, No Stars, and not Nearly Dark, Many Stars.
    That is funny, and true. They might want to rethink that cover design. lol
    Geoff

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Something to think about:

Maybe Full Dark is a state of mind and Stars isn't the luminous ball of Plasma held together with gravity.

The cornfield on the one cover is from the story set in Nebraska:

"1922" - The story opens with the confession of Wilfred James to the murder of his wife, Arlette, following their move to Hemingford, Nebraska, onto land willed to Arlette by her father.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Country
    Country Flag

The unfortunate thing is that not all King fans think things like "dark does not refer to lighting conditions" or "stars do not represent the lights in the sky." Marketing teams cannot force the general audience to think higher. I think the UK version is creepy as hell. I'm positive that I'm not the only person in the world that literally shudders when I drive past a cornfield. But for the millions that will purchase this book, only a small percentage of them will be able to step back and think about the true meanings of both darkness and stars. Again, it's unfortunate, but people are more comfortable in general if you give them what they expect. King says Full Dark, people expect blackness. King says No Stars, any little pinprick of light will confuse them. Strictly visual, the US cover is striking, that hard core white on black look. The UK version is softer, almost serene (if you overlook the fact that all cornfields hide creepy little kids). But more than that, this nude woman with beautiful skin is curled in the darkness in what can be construed as pain or heartache or fear. And that kind of naked vulnerability is chilling to so many people. They can imagine being exposed like this, they dream of it in times of stress, they fear it in everyday life. It's like art that even a non-appreciator can appreciate.

I guess I had more to say on the covers than I thought. Oops... sorry!
    "I have long stopped asking why the mad do mad things."

Country
    Country Flag

Do people really need a banner at the top telling them that Stephen King is the #1 bestselling author?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, of course. How would we know otherwise?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry... Stephen who?
    "I have long stopped asking why the mad do mad things."

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Do people really need a banner at the top telling them that Stephen King is the #1 bestselling author?
    Hodder & Stoughton put that banner, one one similar, on all their King books these days.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You guys would be surprised that here in the UK there are plenty of people who have never heard of Stephen King so it makes sense for them to put that banner on the cover.

I remember when I told my boss I was going to need a few days off to go to the London signing for Lisey's Story he ranted on for a while about how I just couldn't take time off when I felt like it then at the end he comes out with "and just who the HELL is Stephen King anyway?".

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Now THAT'S scary.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

We should probably start a New King books for 2011 thread soon. Any clues yet as to when a new book may come out and what'll it be? I'm guessing Doctor Sleep is the likeliest candidate, but SK has been known to surprise us with new books every once in a while.

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I gotta be honest, the idea of Dr. Sleep really holds little appeal for me. The only other thing I heard about is the oft-mentioned DT 4.5, which appeals (as much as I love the tower) only a bit more than the previous. Hopefully something new altogether. At the UtD tour he frequently mentioned those two books but then dropped FDNS on us without many previously circulating rumors.

As far as release dates? I've not heard anything.
    Last edited by thegreattim; 11-14-2010 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Whoo-hoo I'm a Gunslinger Apprentice now!

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LineofEld View Post
    I'm positive that I'm not the only person in the world that literally shudders when I drive past a cornfield.

Seriously?

I guess having been raised on a farm I find that amusing.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

We should probably start a New King books for 2011 thread soon. Any clues yet as to when a new book may come out and what'll it be? I'm guessing Doctor Sleep is the likeliest candidate, but SK has been known to surprise us with new books every once in a while.
    I remember the Mod at SKMB saying he was finalising his latest manuscript and that it was not Dr. Sleep or DT4.5

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    I remember the Mod at SKMB saying he was finalising his latest manuscript and that it was not Dr. Sleep or DT4.5
    Really? Well, that's certainly intriguing.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3