Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Karate... Kid?

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

now i may get shouted down for this, but sam and brice - was there any reason to do those remakes? imo all those mentioned the originals were really good (and better in some cases) if a remake has got to be done, surely a dated one would be better?

nope i take i back sorry, war of the worlds and the day the earth stood still - i shall say no more. sorry

Gunslinger Apprentice SynysterSaint is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    With rare exceptions I am appalled by horror remakes at all...and just remakes in general. I didn't watch the remake of My Bloody Valentine though.

As for Trick 'R Treat I haven't seen it. I just went and watched a trailer though and if the movie comes close to the tone set by the trailer I'll definitely have to see it.
    Trust me on this one: stay away from My Bloody Valentine. If you really are as interested in classic horror as you seem, then this movie will make you cry. It is just that bad.

And Trick 'r Treat works its mood perfectly from beginning to end. There are four separate (but interlocking) stories that each have their own feel and soundtrack choices. Personally, I could not be happier with the way the movie came out. I cannot find a single flaw with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    The ONLY three remakes I've seen in recent memory that I consider worth watching are:

Dawn Of The Dead
    The Hills Have Eyes
    Rob Zombie's Halloween

For me at least those had just the right balance of tribute to the originals and originality of their own.
    Dawn of the Dead was fantastic, as was The Hills Have Eyes. The Hills Have Eyes, though, scared the living shit out of me. One of my friends started crying half-way through and we had to shut it off and finish it in the daylight in the morning. I refuse to watch it again because it worked that well on me.

I find it surprising you mentioned Halloween, though. Too many people go into it expecting a dimensionless character named Michael going around slashing people for no reason. However, Zombie definitely spent the majority of the movie, not trying to scare the audience, but trying to educate the audience about the character he had fallen in love with. The whole movie isn't as much as remake of the first Halloween as it is an expansion upon it. I thought it was handled beautifully. I'm glad to see someone finally agrees with me, even if it isn't for the exact same reasons.
    Finished The Dark Tower at 6:03AM on December 21, 2009.

The man in black fled across the desert,
    and the gunslinger followed.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I can't say they were necessary, but if it hadn't been for the remakes, I never would have known of the originals. One thing I can say for certain is that very rarely do truly great, original films get remade. Films based on plays get remade, films that were pretty good get remade, films based on books get remade, but the truly original movies rarely get remade. The same goes for the uber-successful, though I imagine that one day someone will decide to remake Gone With the Wind. There are very few original ideas, but when one comes along, it is often so original that to remake it can become near to heresy. To rip it off and copy it is a different matter altogether though. Once in a while the other may transcend the source material, but that is very rare.

Can you name an original film? Some thing that was made during your lifetime, and wasn't made last year (2009)? Also, has there been a remake that you thought was better than the original. I know of one that immediately comes to my mind, Little Shop of Horrors. The original was just , eh, ok, but the remake was a great ride from beginning to end.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post
    I find it surprising you mentioned Halloween, though. Too many people go into it expecting a dimensionless character named Michael going around slashing people for no reason. However, Zombie definitely spent the majority of the movie, not trying to scare the audience, but trying to educate the audience about the character he had fallen in love with. The whole movie isn't as much as remake of the first Halloween as it is an expansion upon it. I thought it was handled beautifully. I'm glad to see someone finally agrees with me, even if it isn't for the exact same reasons.
    And that was one of the things I loved about his Halloween as well. I don't understand why so many people hate it. I saw the film as an homage to the first one. All the main points were there, but he added another whole level to the film. I loved that we got to see who Michael was as a character.
    What were your thoughts on Halloween 2 though?

And I'm going to have to check out Trick 'r Treat. You've got me curious about it now.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    maybe i am a little naive, but i just don't get why? why do remakes even have to happen - surely to goodness there are people, writers, etc that have original idea out there and want to get them noticed?

is it really all about the money, cause that is such a shame. **sighs** although, i am one of the people that went to see Star Trek so maybe i am as bad as the producers and movie moguls.
    Ah, but that's different, candy. Considering the huge number of spinoffs Star Trek's already had, and considering that the film was so faithful to the original that it can, in some ways, count as something of a continuation (due to all the crazy wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff we saw in that film), I'm all for that. Battlestar Galactica is further proof that remakes can be good, so long as it's done right, and it's aimed at the right audience. It's just a shame that most remakes are just done for the money, and are hardly ever made by people who truly respect the source material. The same goes for adaptations, too. I'm still loathing that PG-13 Max Payne movie. Ugh!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i thought star trek was pretty damn good. but with all those movies like star trek, batman, superman, stuff like that, none of them are really "remakes" because they always tell a different story and there are so many different ones. i just don't consider them remakes i guess you could say
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Gunslinger Apprentice ArtherEld is on a distinguished road ArtherEld's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So yeah...

Here's my question...

Why the fuck wasn't this movie called Kung Fu Kid?

Dude's not even learning karate. He's going to China to learn Kung Fu... Apparently it will be called Kung Fu Kid in Asia. Do you know how many martial arts enthusiasts are going to rip this movie to shreds even without it being a remake?

Seriously. They reeeeeeally could have called this something else. And at worst would have been accused of ripping off Karate Kid, except as I've said before, there's lots of mentor/fighter movies like that. Other than loosely the same basic plot (and again that's vaguely speaking), it doesn't much resemble the original.

P.S. I loved War of the Worlds, both remake and original.
    Submitted a new lolcat I did on photoshop, check it out and caption it yourself.

Make a caption

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I think Jaden Smith is a no-talent-silver-spoon-pushedbyhisdaddy-brat that is destined to be yet another failed child actor who came from a talented family.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    And that was one of the things I loved about his Halloween as well. I don't understand why so many people hate it. I saw the film as an homage to the first one. All the main points were there, but he added another whole level to the film. I loved that we got to see who Michael was as a character.

And I'm going to have to check out Trick 'r Treat. You've got me curious about it now.
    I'm looking forward to seeing Halloween 2; I haven't had the ability to get my hands on a copy yet. I hear good things about it (although, the good things are only being said by my friend who turned me on to the Halloween "remake").

And that's awesome about Trick 'r Treat! No one I've shown the movie to has even heard of it let alone taken the time to look it up when I first mentioned it. I have yet to find a single person who disliked that movie after watching it, so I'm looking forward to your thoughts when you've seen it.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SynysterSaint View Post

I'm looking forward to seeing Halloween 2; I haven't had the ability to get my hands on a copy yet. I hear good things about it (although, the good things are only being said by my friend who turned me on to the Halloween "remake").

And that's awesome about Trick 'r Treat! No one I've shown the movie to has even heard of it let alone taken the time to look it up when I first mentioned it. I have yet to find a single person who disliked that movie after watching it, so I'm looking forward to your thoughts when you've seen it.
    Definitely, and let me know what you think of Halloween 2. I'm kinda curious as to whether you're gonna like it or not. I won't say anything more until you've seen it.

Is this the one you're talking about http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862856/
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Demon of the Prim IWasSentWest is on a distinguished road IWasSentWest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the preview for it wasn't bad at all
    I have many leather bound books.
    I'm kind of a big deal.

Changing the plans that I’ve been setting on, I’m scared by the way that my life is getting gone

Country
    Country Flag

Definitely, and let me know what you think of Halloween 2. I'm kinda curious as to whether you're gonna like it or not. I won't say anything more until you've seen it.

Is this the one you're talking about http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862856/
    I'll make sure to send you a message or post it in this forum.

And yeah, that's the one! Anna Paquin () is my favorite character (Laurie) and my favorite actor in the movie (aside from Dylan Baker). There's going to be one line she says that tells you exactly why! And that's all I'm going to say about it until you see it.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I can't say they were necessary, but if it hadn't been for the remakes, I never would have known of the originals. One thing I can say for certain is that very rarely do truly great, original films get remade. Films based on plays get remade, films that were pretty good get remade, films based on books get remade, but the truly original movies rarely get remade. The same goes for the uber-successful, though I imagine that one day someone will decide to remake Gone With the Wind. There are very few original ideas, but when one comes along, it is often so original that to remake it can become near to heresy. To rip it off and copy it is a different matter altogether though. Once in a while the other may transcend the source material, but that is very rare.

Can you name an original film? Some thing that was made during your lifetime, and wasn't made last year (2009)? Also, has there been a remake that you thought was better than the original. I know of one that immediately comes to my mind, Little Shop of Horrors. The original was just , eh, ok, but the remake was a great ride from beginning to end.
    thank you for understanding what i was trying to say, i read it back and it didn't make sense to me let alone you other poor peoples

in regards to your first question, i have lived a long life and have seen many original and wonderful films made in my lifetime. but i have been pondering this all day, a truely original film - not based on other films, books etc? is really hard to think of one, first i thought jaws, but remembered i had read the book. so leave this one with me

in regards to your 2nd questions about better remakes? again i have puzzled over this one, and got some thoughts from friends, one of the biggest contenders was Willa wonka, but i prefer the original. but i suppose i can't dismiss public opinion and therefore it must be said that SOME films do make good remakes. ( i am personally still on the fence, and am still trying to think of one i have seen that i personally preferred)

so ...... to answer your questions. leave it with me
    i'll be back

Country
    Country Flag

There was a time that I would have called Star Wars an original film, but that was before I learned of Akira Kurosawa and his film The Hidden Fortress. I've had some time to think about it, and a really original (as far as I know) film is very hard to find. I'm not talking about something that was inspired by actual events like The Amityville Horror, which took an occurence and made a fictional film about it. I mean something that isn't connected to an outside source, book, play, comic (such as Kill Bill), or real life event. So The Exorcist is out too. One that comes to my mind is Pulp Fiction. I am unaware of any source that this work calls back to. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it just means I don't know of it.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

sam -

I loved Stargate the original film, but would you say that was based on other sci fi programmes previously?

what about the blair witch project, that seemed to be hugely original at the time

Country
    Country Flag

I would say that both films are very original. As far as science fiction movies go, most of them borrow ideas such as time travel, teleportation, and other concepts from stories, but they can still be original tales. Star Wars borrowed a LOT more than concepts from The Hidden Fortress. The storylines are extremely alike, enough that people made the connection before Lucas ever admitted one existed.

Excellent choices Candy, even if I didn't like Blair Witch myself.

Another original film that was very good was The Terminator.

Country
    Country Flag

Saw a sneak preview on tv. Here's my review:

"Wax on, wax off" > "Jacket on, jacket off."
    Submitted a new lolcat I did on photoshop, check it out and caption it yourself.

Make a caption

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

I'm not a martial arts expert, but in one of the trailers I'm sure I heard it said that the boy was going to be taught kung-fu...so why not called it the Kung-Fu Kid?

Country
    Country Flag

It's more about the marketability than it is about the proper name. I am a Martial Arts expert, and he IS being taught Kung Fu, not Karate.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Empath of the White View Post
    I'm not a martial arts expert, but in one of the trailers I'm sure I heard it said that the boy was going to be taught kung-fu...so why not called it the Kung-Fu Kid?
    Said this earlier. Yeah, like Sam said, it's all about marketing. Although "Kung-Fu Kid" still has a ring to it.

Make a caption

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

They should skip the Kung-Fu and and teach him submissions, then name it The Brazilian Jui-Jitsu Kid
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, so apparently the movie is better than I'm thinking. So I'll have to see it to form my opinion.

Make a caption

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2