PDA

View Full Version : You find a door...

Mitchel
12-30-2009, 11:07 AM
You've read DT. Then one day on your way to work, you find a door just free standing like the ones on the beach. You open it and find it looks on to some scene from DT - anything which you'd recognize - doesn't matter what exactly. Question is, do you go through? You don't know the door will remain there after you've gone through. Consider it carefully.

Mark
12-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Thats a toughy, I love DT, but I love my life, and i'm aware now lucky I am with what I got, also, I don't think I'd like to have to travel ALL the time like they do in DT. I'd have to come back to it.

flaggwalkstheline
12-30-2009, 11:34 AM
hell yes I go through
And then end up in another world cause the door just opens 2 inches away in the middle of the street where I get smooshed by a bus:wtf::idea:

Mitchel
12-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Thats a toughy, I love DT, but I love my life, and i'm aware now lucky I am with what I got, also, I don't think I'd like to have to travel ALL the time like they do in DT. I'd have to come back to it.

Who said you would have to travel once you went through?

ICry4Oy
12-30-2009, 01:24 PM
Depends on where it goes. I'd peek first.:harrier:

stone, rose, unfound door
12-30-2009, 02:25 PM
Does the door follow you like it does Roland?

DoctorDodge
12-30-2009, 02:41 PM
hell yes I go through
And then end up in another world cause the door just opens 2 inches away in the middle of the street where I get smooshed by a bus:wtf::idea:

And then you wake up in 1973! Are you mad? In a coma? Or back in time?

Whilst you're deciding about which of those options is the correct one, you then get hit by another bus!

I know, i know: my sense of humour is rather twisted and cynical, but that's what happens when you're in a country that rains 8 days out of 10!

Mark
12-30-2009, 03:16 PM

Who said you would have to travel once you went through?

It's that or I stay in my scene, Which is either The Tet vs Shardik, or The Tet vs The Wolves.

alinda
12-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Wait...is the door on the beach, or just like the one on the beach?
If I am on the beach , I'm not going anywhere. If I am looking thru
the door to Roland's world I may not go through it, for my life here
is ultimately better than anything he went thru.
Interesting question tho'.:clap: I mean his was a great story,
but such a hard life. no, I think not.

DoctorDodge
12-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Myself, if i was given that choice...i'd be tempted, that's for sure. I'd be seriously tempted. But what could I do once I got there? How would I survive? Would I emerge in one of the idyllic Calla towns, or the dystopian city Lud, or, as Eddie and Odetta landed on, a beach in the middle of nowhere?

I probably wouldn't do it. My life's not exactly perfect right now, but it's ok, and I don't wanna risk it with a gamble that huge. Then again, to step onto another world, to step onto a land that's as far from our own as possible...fuck, that's tempting. I don't know. I'd probably would take a few steps through that door, at least.

flaggwalkstheline
12-30-2009, 07:14 PM

I wouldn't think twice, i'd just go for it, take a plunge straight on into living from reality to reality like the manni:excited:

SynysterSaint
12-30-2009, 07:40 PM
I would go through at once! Any chance to get into Roland's world and live out as they did would be a blessing. After reading this series I aspire to make myself more controlled and regimented. I aspire to be everything a gunslinger is, but to be trained by Roland himself! What an opportunity. I would take it.

Jean
12-30-2009, 10:14 PM
If such a door appeared, I am afraid I would have no choice. They don't appear to everyone, and when they do, it means the one is chosen; I also expect he/she/I would have known it some time before the door appeared, so there wouldn't really be any question.

Letti
12-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Even if I lived in hell I couldn't leave my loved ones behind. (If I wasn't totally sure that I could come back.)

candy
12-30-2009, 11:42 PM
i would jump through so fast i would be a candy blur!!!!

as jean put it so well, if you see a door such as described you are chosen, and mayhap ka would not let you say no?

Letti
12-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Fortunately I don't believe in ka.

SynysterSaint
12-31-2009, 12:39 AM

I can't say I believe in it either, but you can't say it isn't a nice idea. Just like I don't believe in a god, but I enjoy the idea of Gan and the Beams [and their Guardians].

ManOfWesternesse
12-31-2009, 12:47 AM
I believe I'd step through. (& quickly, before all the 'logical' reasons for not stepping through should get a grip on me)

Letti
12-31-2009, 01:17 AM

I can't say I believe in it either, but you can't say it isn't a nice idea. Just like I don't believe in a god, but I enjoy the idea of Gan and the Beams [and their Guardians].

It's an interesting idea but definiately not nice (not for me). Once Susan Delgado said that it was easy to blame ka all the time and it was the bread of the weak. But I don't remember it quite well.

Sickrose
12-31-2009, 04:15 AM
If i wasnt married I would step through in an instant but I dont think I could leave my husband. That said Jean's thoughts are pretty convincing - maybe if it opens you have been chosen.

Brice
12-31-2009, 05:06 AM
Without hesitation.

pathoftheturtle
12-31-2009, 08:30 AM
This discussion reminds me of points raised on this archived thread: where would you rather live? (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2809)
Does the door follow you like it does Roland?Like Roland, you'd just have to find out the hard way... but then, he was moved partly by desperation. Different stories, different situations, there are things you choose to do and things which simply happen to you. Free will is a part of ka. It's all just guesswork, until the moment comes, and probably would be mostly that, even then. Yet I have faith enough in myself to say that I'd do what seemed most right.

Claude Clay
12-31-2009, 09:01 AM
yesterday was 12 degrees ( -17 wind chill).
today is snowing
property taxes are due--as are IRS
the sheriff's getting nearer is now the president
I have to press 1 for english

hell ya, I'd walk right in

SynysterSaint
12-31-2009, 02:06 PM
yesterday was 12 degrees ( -17 wind chill).
today is snowing
property taxes are due--as are IRS
the sheriff's getting nearer is now the president
I have to press 1 for english

hell ya, I'd walk right in

*like*

Brainslinger
01-01-2010, 10:25 PM
hell yes I go through

And then you wake up in 1973! Are you mad? In a coma? Or back in time?

Hee, hee. I get the reference, and I loved that series.

Here's the situation though. You've read the Dark Tower series. Then you find a freestanding door. In that situation, wouldn't ka exists? Actually thinking about it, I guess not necessarily as it's possible someone with great power who has been spying on your life might have created the door to mess with you. But with the chances of such a thing happening and with the level of power require to perform such an action it would almost amount to the same thing.

As for me, I really don't know if I would step through or not. I've always loved the magical idea of travelling to other worlds way back since reading the Narnia books as a kid, so I think I probably would. I'm also 34, single and unemployed* so there isn't a whole lot going on in my life (not that I'm miserable, but I'm at that age where I'm aware life is passing me by in many respects. Or rather I'm not grabbing it in the way I should.) and seeing such a door would make me think that maybe my life was saved for just such a destiny. On the other hand I'm a bit of a coward too, so I might just chicken out and continue on my way.

*Not to complain, I recently had a bit of temp work over Christmas, so I'm a bit better of than I've been in a while.

Letti
01-01-2010, 10:54 PM

Here's the situation though. You've read the Dark Tower series. Then you find a freestanding door. In that situation, wouldn't ka exists? Actually thinking about it, I guess not necessarily as it's possible someone with great power who has been spying on your life might have created the door to mess with you.

Why not? I don't believe in ka but I believe in God. :)

Mitchel
01-02-2010, 03:10 PM
As for me, I really don't know if I would step through or not. I've always loved the magical idea of travelling to other worlds way back since reading the Narnia books as a kid, so I think I probably would. I'm also 34, single and unemployed* so there isn't a whole lot going on in my life (not that I'm miserable, but I'm at that age where I'm aware life is passing me by in many respects. Or rather I'm not grabbing it in the way I should.) and seeing such a door would make me think that maybe my life was saved for just such a destiny. On the other hand I'm a bit of a coward too, so I might just chicken out and continue on my way.

*Not to complain, I recently had a bit of temp work over Christmas, so I'm a bit better of than I've been in a while.

Brainslinger,

The fact that you can be that honest with yourself impresses me... at least that's what came across in your post. You're clearly awesome.

I'm 30, married to a wonderful woman, and have a well paying career. But I'm also completely disenchanted with the whole planet and the state of everything in general. I'm also an arrogant prick and have a tendency to think I am somehow better than most other people, which is done as a defense mechanism to combat the disenchantment and sense of disconnection. Maybe, like Brainslinger, I'm not taking what I want out of life proactively enough.

That written, I'd never walk through the door without my wife, but anyone else I could leave behind easily... and definitely would.

klio
01-03-2010, 04:23 AM
only if i could use instant transmission like Goku. :onfire:

Jean
01-07-2010, 02:49 PM

Here's the situation though. You've read the Dark Tower series. Then you find a freestanding door. In that situation, wouldn't ka exists? Actually thinking about it, I guess not necessarily as it's possible someone with great power who has been spying on your life might have created the door to mess with you.

This is, basically, what I wanted to say, and what perfectly sums up my three-year-long argument against ka you might remember from .net.

Brainslinger
01-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Why not? I don't believe in ka but I believe in God.

That's a good point.

I just think that if Ka exists it would be just another word for God's will though. In fact, I don't think Ka could exist without God since ka suggests order by it's very nature. (I.e. to be destined suggests you've been pointed, right, which suggests someone is doing the pointing?) I'm not saying I believe in ka myself though. It's interesting though considering the implications of what finding a free-standing portal to another World would imply for who/what else is out there though. Especially if it were only Dark Tower readers who saw it. ;)

Letti
01-08-2010, 12:24 AM

This is, basically, what I wanted to say, and what perfectly sums up my three-year-long argument against ka you might remember from .net.

I do remember. I love ka arguments.

Why not? I don't believe in ka but I believe in God.

That's a good point.

I just think that if Ka exists it would be just another word for God's will though. In fact, I don't think Ka could exist without God since ka suggests order by it's very nature. (I.e. to be destined suggests you've been pointed, right, which suggests someone is doing the pointing?) I'm not saying I believe in ka myself though. It's interesting though considering the implications of what finding a free-standing portal to another World would imply for who/what else is out there though. Especially if it were only Dark Tower readers who saw it. ;)

Okay, let's go a little bit off topic.
God's will. Ka. For me these two things are very far from each other.
Ka forces things. It's said you cannot avoid it. It works and it doesn't matter what you want.
God's will... I don't say it doesn't exist. But for me... it's like... a soft whisper in your ear (or in your heart). Yes, like that.
Ka is like a path you must step on. Must must must. God's will is like a whisper in your ear.. you may notice it you may not. You may follow it you may not.

If I found a door in the middle of my room tonight I wouldn't be sure God wants me to go. I would be given a choice. No more no less.

pathoftheturtle
01-08-2010, 02:36 PM
...Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he fall. No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.-- 1 Corinthians 10:12-13

Cort
01-08-2010, 03:00 PM
if a door were to appear before me some day, after scientific testing to make sure it was real ( trying to walk through it when closed, with my eyes shut) i'd be through it in a second...after returning home for my gunna first though.

Brainslinger
01-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Okay, let's go a little bit off topic.
God's will. Ka. For me these two things are very far from each other.
Ka forces things. It's said you cannot avoid it. It works and it doesn't matter what you want.
God's will... I don't say it doesn't exist. But for me... it's like... a soft whisper in your ear (or in your heart). Yes, like that.
Ka is like a path you must step on. Must must must. God's will is like a whisper in your ear.. you may notice it you may not. You may follow it you may not.

That makes a lot of sense. I guess what I would say is that if (and I mean if) ka existed it would be God's will. But I'd accept God's will wouldn't necessarily by ka. (That looks like a contradiction. What I basically mean is that I think God would be required to create ka, but whether he would choose to is another thing.) I.e. as you say he rarely forces a person to do his will, and ka does seem to do that in the books.

If I found a door in the middle of my room tonight I wouldn't be sure God wants me to go. I would be given a choice. No more no less.

Good point. I agree. I was really just throwing out the idea of the existence of ka and the door as something to think about rather than something definite. (Heh, I mentioned another possibility myself.) Some of my posts turn into a bit of a stream of consciousness as new thought and arguments will occur as I think of them. ;)

As for whether or not I believe in ka, I honestly don't know. I think there are some things that might happen no matter what I choose, some things God has set in stone, if you like (at least in the future of the world, if not my own personal destiny), but personal choices can change a lot. In the world(s) of the books though, I'd say ka definitely exists.

Brice
01-09-2010, 03:47 AM
I think if there is a god all things are set in stone and that doesn't mean that you don't have freewill or whatever you wish to call it; just that whatever god there is knows and has known all along the choices you will make and the circumstances involved in and resulting from those choices. I think god or not, there is no ka...no destiny...only possibilities.

Jean
01-10-2010, 12:07 AM
back to topic? I mean, if we start discussing free will here, the thread will have to be renamed, and it is a good thread.

Letti
01-10-2010, 12:10 AM
back to topic? I mean, if we start discussing free will here, the thread will have to be renamed, and it is a good thread.

Okay, you are right Jean but I feel ka and free will belong to this question very much, But there is the point so let's go back to the root of the topic.

Jean
01-10-2010, 12:19 AM
ka and free will belong to any question, my love... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gif

Letti
01-10-2010, 12:40 AM
ka and free will belong to any question, my love... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gif

Hm, I could argue with that but that would be off-topic, wouldn't it? ;)

Jon
01-10-2010, 09:46 PM
I would open the door and want to see Blaine so I could riddle with him until my untimely, high-speed death.

(staples this post to the chicken.)

stone, rose, unfound door
01-12-2010, 03:27 PM
No one answered my question: do you have to step through the door the moment you see it or does it follow you like it does Roland? That'd give me a lot of time to think about my options!

lowdown
01-12-2010, 03:50 PM
no question .......run through that bitch....this life sucks ...i wish i had a cause to work for

Brainslinger
01-12-2010, 04:50 PM
No one answered my question: do you have to step through the door the moment you see it or does it follow you like it does Roland? That'd give me a lot of time to think about my options!

If we follow the same rules as the Dark Tower books then I don't think the door would follow you this side. I think it only follows you the other side once you've already stepped through it, as long as it's left open. Which is still a factor of course, as you could always jump back if you don't like what you find.

However, the question of the thread is "If you found a door would you step through?", the subtext being you don't know what will be the other side, including whether or not the door will remain with you.* (That's how I see it, anyway.) You have to take that chance in the first place.

*Well, ok, you should see the landscape through the door once you have opened it, but thats only one direction and anything could be hiding on the other side, in the Mid-world** equivalent of where you're standing!

**Assuming it is Mid-World. It could be anywhere!

pathoftheturtle
01-13-2010, 07:38 AM
You've read DT. Then one day on your way to work, you find a door just free standing like the ones on the beach. You open it and find it looks on to some scene from DT - anything which you'd recognize - doesn't matter what exactly. Question is, do you go through? You don't know the door will remain there after you've gone through. Consider it carefully.Seems to imply that we can choose a scene for ourselves. Like, is there anything in the story that you would want so much to change that you'd be willing to risk yourself?

I mean, if you believe, having read DT, that every single thing worked out as well as possible, then, by adding yourself into it, how could you find any cause to work for? IMO, S. King already did a pretty good job of playing God there. If we're to decide what should be changed, that's a hard decision. It's no wonder that we turned to more fundamental questions about making decisions in general. Letti is right; this totally begs the question of ka.

Brainslinger
01-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Whoops. A while since I read that, I forgot the second sentence there. Mind you, both scenarios are interesting food for thought.

pathoftheturtle
01-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Sure. And I certainly didn't mean to stop the thread. I was kind of hoping that Mitchel would re-appear and clarify.

Alright, how 'bout this... I would step into the Tet Corp. board meeting, and respectfully ask Roland to clarify his intentions regarding the Tower, reminding him that the very meeting we were at would be recorded for people, by Stephen King. I'd probably wish him well, after that, and ask the board for a job. That's not unlike what I'm trying to do with my life, anyway, but that opportunity would be great, if TDT were real.

Of course, the Tet Corp. had those psychics working for them, some with genuine precognitive powers, so in a universe where I came through a door to that moment, they would have already been advised that it was going to happen. Maybe, then, Insomnia wouldn't seem so important.

Wouldn't it be interesting if I took my copy of DT 7 to him instead? How do you think that that would affect things?

Aylania
01-20-2010, 12:47 PM
If such a door appeared, I am afraid I would have no choice. They don't appear to everyone, and when they do, it means the one is chosen; I also expect he/she/I would have known it some time before the door appeared, so there wouldn't really be any question.

I have to agree. Why else would the door show itself if not to be a gateway for the one chosent to go through it? If it were me, I'd definitely go through :D

CrimsonMordred
01-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Yes, I would walk through without a minute of hesitation. I am so adventurous that I could burst.

woodpryan
05-09-2010, 02:25 PM
but for an odd reason. I wear contacts and do not have glasses. The chances that i would come upon the door wearing glasses rather than contacts are near zero. I can't go into Roland's world and end up not being able to see anything. I'd want to be a gunslinger if I went to his world and my eyesight would be a major setback, not allowing me to be a gunslinger. If I had perfect eyesight, I would walk right through without a second thought. I know his world is difficult and tough, but it is an adventure. On the one hand, I could sit at a desk and write software forever. On the other, I could be a gunslinger, fighting my way to the dark tower with Roland Deschain. It's a no brainer for me. If my eyes worked, I'd go.