PDA

View Full Version : Favorite, and Least Favorite Tet Member and Why? :spoiler:

Lowmen45
12-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Lowmen says :

Favorite : Eddie Dean
Why: This character has so much in common with me and my brother its scary as hell. The difference being my brother isnt a prick. But every other tale, backstory, memorey, well, pretty damm close. Almost errie. I let my brother listen to a few back story parts for eddie, and he was shocked too. Kings diffently been down some similar roads, and knows his shit. I love how eddie has a good heart, and how he turns his life around. I also love his "no bullshit" attitude towards Roland, and how he stands up for what he believes in. I love when he calls Roland on his shit; his obsession.

Least Favorite (Ive got my armor & anti tomato suit on) : Susannah Dean

Why: IMHO *enphasized* IMHO, This character dosnt stand on her own, literaly.lol. More specific. She annoys the shit out of me, with the Deta racist bitch shit, and I cant get my feet with her. I dont know if she cares or dosnt care, because of the multiple personalities. She is a yes man alot of the Time to Eddie, and kind of goes along with the flow in scenes. I dont recall,.. almost never recall her challenging Rolands opinion. Really suga, thats nice suga, ect. ect. Its hard to love a skitso *spelling*

Whats your guys favorite and least and why?:rose:

stone, rose, unfound door
12-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Favourite: tie between Oy and Jake
I think they both really belong in the tet and they have a big part to play (especially Jake)
Oy is a very loyal character and I like that in general. And he would do anything for Jake,
he even takes care of Roland after Jake dies
Jake is a very talented boy, clever and mature beyond his years. I also like the fact that he can be a child sometimes during the story and I like his dedication to Roland and his attitude towards death. He is strong and quick-witted and he doesn't follow his heart no matter how hard it is.

Least favourite: (ready to be lynched) Eddie
I don't like his immature attitude and the fact that he doesn't fight for justice and what's right but he fights according to his feelings, the best example being when he shoots Balazar's men during DTII after he's seen Henry's head.
I don't like bad jokes so I don't like Eddie's. And I don't think he is a gunslinger, partly because he fight with his heart and not his mind (which doesn't to be what the others do IMHO) and partly
because of his death, which I found unnaturaly ungunslinger-like
And he annoys me a lot.

Jean
12-24-2009, 12:14 AM
Least favourite: (ready to be lynched) Eddie
nothing especially lyncheable about it. He annoys me a lot too, every time he is trying to be funny. Otherwise, I rather like him, my own least favorite being, alas, Jake (and the most favorite, of course, Susannah - with Roland standing alone and not entering any contests of this kind).

Sickrose
12-24-2009, 12:56 AM
My favourite is Jake - what he went through in The Wastelands and his drawing and his devotion to Roland and oy. He is a true Gunslinger!

My least fav is Susannah.I am with Lowmen on this one I dont see her as a rounded character and her dialogue doesnt ring true.

Lily-sai
12-24-2009, 12:59 AM
I'd like to see someone whose least favorite is Roland. *gets the pitchfork and the torches ready* :evil:

My favorite is very easy to guess: Oy. He's just perfect, but not in annoying way a la Galahad in King Arthur's legend. That's all. :wub:

Least favorite.. I'm sorry, but Susannah. Both of her personalities were irritating to start with, and the sum of them.. No. And I still hold grudge for her for leaving Roland. :cry:

DoctorDodge
12-24-2009, 02:55 AM
Favourite? That's too easy: Eddie Dean. Not only does he go through some serious character development over the series, going from a selfish junkie to someone who would defend the Tower and his ka-tet at any cost, but also I just love his sense of humour. I know, it's incredibly crude, but then again, so am i! :P

Least favourite: Susannah Dean. It's not that I dislike her or anything, she just doesn't seem to stick out as much as the rest of the ka-tet, and when she does stick out it's usually due to one of her ultra annoying other personalities. Honestly she's my least favourite because to me, IMHO, she's the least interesting.

Randall Flagg
12-24-2009, 07:29 AM
We're going to move this to Mid-World.:rose:

ICry4Oy
12-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Fave: Oy! His courage and his dedication to Jake and ultimately Roland is unsurpassed. His introduction on stage to the Calla folken made me love him even more and I still sob uncontrollably when I read about his death.

Least Fave: Susannah. Mostly Deta/Odetta and Mia though. Hated those bitches. Also with a chick in the mix it made it impossible for the dudes to make out.

Lowmen45
12-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Different Strokes for different folkes. Awsome.

Ill say this, Eddies jokes dont impress me at all, its his growth and character development that I like alot. His character jumps leaps and bonds in the books. Also, I like the fact that hes not a cold hearted gunslinger. Roland just seemed too selfish to me. When Eddie called him on it, Rolands heart would light up with feeling, then die down again, smuthered in obsession. Roland would have let Jake die again, despite the events in Book 7, IMHO. Also, The one thing I really liked about Susannah, even though shes my least Fav, was that shes finally realized Rolands true heart, and did what she did for a chance at love. I like Roland, buy hes a Tower Junkie, and as most of us know, there is a harsh moral to the series end.... This is why i found Eddie great, he had heart beneath his junkieness, even as a junkie we learned he was a good guy, who wanted to stop, a creative guy, who love listening to Lord of the Rings and Chilling, carving wood, lol. Second Fav would be Cuthbert, loved him calling Roland on his blind Love shit, beating his face in. Nothing worse than the annoying friend, who ignores everyone of the bros, once he dips.

Jean
12-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Ill say this, Eddies jokes dont impress me at all, its his growth and character development that I like alot.
ditto bears

Mitchel
12-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Favorite: I'm only 200 pages into book 5, but if only picking from the members of Roland's group, then I'd have to pick Jake and Oy. Jake has some seriously solid brass clad balls to do the things he has done at his age, and Oy's faithful intelligence is inspiring to me as a pet lover. He makes me want to go snuggle my cat when I read about him.

Least Favorite: Again, choosing from Roland's little group, I'd have to say my least favorite is Father Callahan... if he counts as part of the Tet. My reason? Simple. He's a damn fool. He condescends to Tian Jaffords when Tian says, "gods" (plural), because he says Tian's Gods are all false, there is but one... yet he himself has all this experience with vampires, knows about Taheen, the Wizards Rainbow, doors between worlds, Mid-World magic, etc, etc... none of which exactly falls within the scope of the Christian Bible. That seems dumb to me. It's like saying, "yeah, I know the Dark Tower stands at the center of everything and holds all realities together, so if it falls, we are doomed... but I still think one monotheistic God runs the show." If that were true, then what would be the point of journeying to the Dark Tower in the first place? JMO.

If we can pick from the whole story though, then Susan Delgado's aunt Cordelia, is the character I hate most of all. Hypocritical, idiotic, oppressive, "poor me" syndrome. Can't stand her. Want to slap her face off.

Lowmen45
12-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Holy shit, you hit the nail on the head , i forgot about susans aunt. Wizards and Glass was sooooooooooooooooooooo long, and soooooooooooooooooo drawn out, when it was done, i was very happy to move on to Wolves, *one of my favorite* but damm, her aunt was a cunt.
As for callahan, I can see your point, I hate religious zealots, with a passion, but i think youll find callahan developes quite well, give him the last two books to descide if you still hate him, trust me. I really liked his story, especially the second priest tale towards the end. I dont like his catholic, "hollier than thou" attitude towards others faiths, like you said, the man lives in a world of magic and demons, lives in the proof of other gods, and denies it.

candy
12-26-2009, 05:40 AM
most favourite is Oy, loyal, unerring and beautiful.

least favourite... hmmm its difficult as they all annoyed me and switched places in my affection during the whole arc. i have to say though, and i do hate to say it as it feels like she is the most dis-liked is Susannah. Mostly because during the course of the story line she kept dropping to the bottom of my affections?

Roland and Eddie both annoyed me at times, and spent periods at the bottom of the list, but Susannah just kept popping up there, and its a shame, as it was not susannah that annoyed me but her many alter egos - i actually like Susannah Dean.

Delah
12-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Most favorite: Jake

Jake is an amazing character. He's complex, tough, compassionate, brave and achingly lonely. We see him in all seven books and he's a mix of things -- a boy, a sacrifice, a killer, a friend -- but through everything he's determined to hold onto his humanity, and all he wants is someone to give a damn about him. He was my favorite from the first moment we met him in the Gunslinger, and his relationship with Roland is the most important one in the Gunslinger's new ka-tet.

Least Favorite: Susannah

Part of it is the way she was introduced. Detta/Odetta, Psycho-killer/stuck up prig. Part of it is how quickly she and Eddie fall in love (in TDOTT, it seems like they fall in love just to help the plot). But a big part is just her personality, even when she morphs into Susannah. I liked Susannah best in her quiet moments with Eddie, but I never felt the affection for her I did for the other members of the Tet. And then, of course, we only get Susanah for a few books; then we get Mia/Susannah! And I hated that whole subplot.

Mitchel
12-27-2009, 03:17 PM

Part of it is the way she was introduced. Detta/Odetta, Psycho-killer/stuck up prig. Part of it is how quickly she and Eddie fall in love (in TDOTT, it seems like they fall in love just to help the plot). But a big part is just her personality, even when she morphs into Susannah. I liked Susannah best in her quiet moments with Eddie, but I never felt the affection for her I did for the other members of the Tet. And then, of course, we only get Susanah for a few books; then we get Mia/Susannah! And I hated that whole subplot.

Yeah, I can't argue with any of that. You had a whole character, Susannah Dean, for ONE BOOK, which was The Wastelands. I don't even feel you can count Wizard & Glass because that's more a back story (more on this in a minute). And as soon as you get to Wolves, it's Mia's turn in the barrel. She does get on my nerves too I guess.

Anyway, @ Lowmen45;

Yeah, Wizard & Glass was sooooo drawn out. It was like a reading marathon, and I read that book in the fewest sittings of any book so far just because I wanted to plow through it and put it behind me.

There is something in Wolves though that wasn't mentioned in Wizard & Glass about Roland's past. Correct me if I'm all messed up, but isn't it earlier in Wolves, where Roland dreams of his last battle with the Good Men, and talks about Jamie DeCurry getting killed, and killing Alain himself by accident... and of he and Cuthbert fighting till the last? Then Cuthbert blew a horn that was Eld's horn and told Roland to pick it up if he were killed....

Do we ever find out why he forgot the horn? Forgetting to pick something up doesn't seem like a Rolandish thing to do. And it seems important, like the Rose in NY.

stone, rose, unfound door
12-28-2009, 03:24 PM

Yeah, I can't argue with any of that. You had a whole character, Susannah Dean, for ONE BOOK, which was The Wastelands. I don't even feel you can count Wizard & Glass because that's more a back story (more on this in a minute). And as soon as you get to Wolves, it's Mia's turn in the barrel. She does get on my nerves too I guess.

Anyway, @ Lowmen45;

Yeah, Wizard & Glass was sooooo drawn out. It was like a reading marathon, and I read that book in the fewest sittings of any book so far just because I wanted to plow through it and put it behind me.

There is something in Wolves though that wasn't mentioned in Wizard & Glass about Roland's past. Correct me if I'm all messed up, but isn't it earlier in Wolves, where Roland dreams of his last battle with the Good Men, and talks about Jamie DeCurry getting killed, and killing Alain himself by accident... and of he and Cuthbert fighting till the last? Then Cuthbert blew a horn that was Eld's horn and told Roland to pick it up if he were killed....

Do we ever find out why he forgot the horn? Forgetting to pick something up doesn't seem like a Rolandish thing to do. And it seems important, like the Rose in NY.

If I'm not mistaken, the scene you're talking about is the battle of Jericho Hill and I can very well understand how even a character like Roland would forget a horn in the heat of a battle to save what's left of Gilead and of Mid-World. That is a good enough reason for me to forget an important artefact, especially if said artefact is seen as important ages after the battle.

Wuducynn
12-29-2009, 07:03 PM
Least Favorite: Again, choosing from Roland's little group, I'd have to say my least favorite is Father Callahan... if he counts as part of the Tet. My reason? Simple. He's a damn fool. He condescends to Tian Jaffords when Tian says, "gods" (plural), because he says Tian's Gods are all false, there is but one... yet he himself has all this experience with vampires, knows about Taheen, the Wizards Rainbow, doors between worlds, Mid-World magic, etc, etc... none of which exactly falls within the scope of the Christian Bible. That seems dumb to me. It's like saying, "yeah, I know the Dark Tower stands at the center of everything and holds all realities together, so if it falls, we are doomed... but I still think one monotheistic God runs the show." If that were true, then what would be the point of journeying to the Dark Tower in the first place? JMO.

This is interesting, as a polytheist I felt some of that same frustration towards his character as you do for the same reasons. It sure made him a stubborn, spicy character and he grew a lot through the series. Interesting he acknowledged The White at the end and didn't care that he was holding a "heathen object".

Sickrose
12-29-2009, 11:57 PM

This is interesting, as a polytheist I felt some of that same frustration towards his character as you do for the same reasons. It sure made him a stubborn, spicy character and he grew a lot through the series. Interesting he acknowledged The White at the end and didn't care that he was holding a "heathen object". Wasnt it the fact that he had faith again rather than the object which was the main thing?? Whether he was holding a cross or a ''heathen object'' was irrelevant because he had faith and the object was just a conduit to that and he had learnt this perhaps :)

That said I found him annoying at times but I loved his story!

Wuducynn
12-30-2009, 05:22 PM
Wasnt it the fact that he had faith again rather than the object which was the main thing??

Well, we were talking about things involving his character that we were frustrated by. Yes, that was the most important in the end for him. One thing I'd like to note, I happen to really LOVE the character Callahan, frustrations with his character and all.

Sickrose
12-31-2009, 04:47 AM
Wasnt it the fact that he had faith again rather than the object which was the main thing??

Well, we were talking about things involving his character that we were frustrated by. Yes, that was the most important in the end for him. One thing I'd like to note, I happen to really LOVE the character Callahan, frustrations with his character and all. Me Too he really developed in WOC and SOS :)

SynysterSaint
12-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Favorite: Jake Chambers [Deschain]
Least Favorite: Susannah Dean

Favorite: Jake Chambers [Deschain]
When Jake first entered Roland's world, I cannot honestly say that I felt too much affection for the little guy. As far as I was concerned, he was just a pawn for Roland to use to reach Walter. However, after Roland let him fall, I couldn't help but imagine how much better it would have been if Jake was there to help him and how awful Roland was for choosing to betray someone who learned to trust and care for him. When Jake risked so much to get back to Mid-World and past the Doorkeeper, however, I realized how much I love Jake. When Jake showed compassion for Oy and allowed him to join the Tet, it became official: Jake was my favorite member. He left a life of money and security for one of the man he loved and for a cause he believed in: Jake was, in some ways, more of a man than Roland will ever be.

Least Favorite: Susannah Dean
From the moment we saw her stealing in the department store, I knew that "The Lady of the Shadows" was going to be an issue for me as a character. I have different morals than most people, and I find anyone who steals to be of a lower caliber than even a heroin addict. Yes, drug addiction is a self-indulgence just like stealing, but at least with drugs the damage you are doing is to yourself, not to another person. When you steal, that shows a complete lack of empathy and respect. If the story is truly about redemption, then why is it that Detta is allowed to remain throughout the story and is never reprimanded for it? Detta's southern drawl and flat-out racism did not sit well with me, either. I realize that the intention of SK was to make this character as offensive and unlikable as possible, and I must say that it worked. Detta ruined Susannah as a whole for me. I hated her from the minute Roland stepped into her world until the minute she stepped [rather, rolled] out of his.

Mitchel
01-02-2010, 03:31 PM
Now I am about 100 pages away from finishing Wolves of Calla, and I like Callahan even less than I did before. I don't want to open a can of worms by writing this, but what ended my tolerance for him was what he said to Roland about what he would do if any of the Tet attempted to abort the demon baby Susannah is carrying. He said he would raise up everyone in the Calla against them... what a jack-knob, especially considering he is a priest. Save how many Calla children vs. killing a demon baby. C'mon, fadda, yev goddabe kiddin me... JMO.

He's going to have to do something extraordinarily outstanding for me to overlook that.

Mitchel
01-02-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm double posting. Sorry. I must be a tard, because the spoiler BBC tag isn't working for me very well. I tried to edit the above post, and it wouldn't take.

???

Anyway, this is what I meant (thought I did the same above, but this one works, the other doesn't)

Now I am about 100 pages away from finishing Wolves of Calla, and I like Callahan even less than I did before. I don't want to open a can of worms by writing this, but what ended my tolerance for him was

what he said to Roland about what he would do if any of the Tet attempted to abort the demon baby Susannah is carrying. He said he would raise up everyone in the Calla against them... what a jack-knob, especially considering he is a priest. Save how many Calla children vs. killing a demon baby. C'mon, fadda, yev goddabe kiddin me... JMO.

He's going to have to do something extraordinarily outstanding for me to overlook that.

AAARRRGGG! Why isn't the spoiler tag working for me? I've used it before, I know how... MOD / admin help please.

candy
01-03-2010, 03:05 AM
its ok, they are all in spoilers

Mitchel
01-03-2010, 02:31 PM
its ok, they are all in spoilers

Yeah, fair enough. What I meant to post before the spoiler tag went todash on me, was that the reason I dislike Callahan more now than before was because of what he said to Roland about what he would do if any of the Tet attempted to abort the demon baby Susannah is carrying. He said he would raise up everyone in the Calla against them... what a jack-knob, especially considering he is a priest. Save how many Calla children vs. killing a demon baby. C'mon, fadda, yev goddabe kiddin me... JMO.

And that written, I just finished Wolves about 5 minutes ago, and come to find out we have to put up with more of Susannah's crap. I kind of hope her baby does eat her.

Wolves did reinforce my reasons for picking Jake as my favorite. He's got guts, that one. I could never have come close to manning up as much as he has when I was his age - and even now, being 30, he'd be tough to top. He handled the Benny thing admirably.

I've gotta say though, the first 3 books were much better than these last two - 4 and 5 - have been. Things are getting somewhat goofy, with Stephen King writing himself into the novel... not in a way that shows correlation from another story... but blatantly by having a copy of Salem's Lot at in Calvin Towers book collection at the Cave of Voices. That, and the whole 19 thing. Kinda ghey, kinda meh.

I'm off to start book 6...

CrimsonMordred
02-03-2010, 02:10 PM
My favorite of the Tet had to have been Jake. I loved his character and how versatile it had been through out the entire series. I especially loved when he and Callahan faced off against the Taheen and the Low Men.

For my least favorite, I'm running with the crowd on this one, it's Susannah. All through the Drawing of the Three she was simply a LOAD that they had to deal with. Even when things were looking their grimmest, she slapped on the whole Detta thing and just pissed Roland off and annoyed me to no end. Things would have been so much simpler without her in the first place but then again, some of the problems she caused turned out to be entertaining. But still :pullhair:

Letti
02-10-2010, 01:59 PM
Things would have been so much simpler without her in the first place. :pullhair:

And are you absolutely sure that it would have been better for the constant reader, for us, too? :)

Yaksha
12-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Eddie Dean. I identify with him. I like how he grew from a junkie to a badass gunslinger.

least favorite though. dont really have one really though I would have to say it would be Susan. No particular reason.

Serpent Raptor
01-14-2011, 08:24 AM
My favourite tet member is definitely Jake. For me, he was one of those rare cases when you read a book that you really wish a character was actually real.

He was brave and compassionate, and the amount of hardship he faced and still pushed on just shows how cool he was.

As a reader you get to know him well over the seven books, so much so, that while reading, I really wished that Jake was my younger brother! Lol.

My least favourite was Sussanah. She was boring, annoying and pointless. It’s kind of like Stephen King tried to make the most politically incorrect character ever “Why don’t I make a character who is black, schitzo, and has no legs?” Yeah, it was kinda amusing at first, intentionally or not, but it soon got annoying.

It also seemed unrealistic that Eddie would not only fall in love with her, but so quickly as well. He meets her, and suddenly he falls in love, even though she tried to kill him, and he’s never met her before in his life. Stupid.

I also hated how she got the happiest ending out of the tet, when she was the worst.

Jake Chambers FTW.

Rice Dancer
01-14-2011, 08:34 AM
I love Oy, and I cried when he died. Jake and Susannah are my least favorite I guess. I don't dislike them, I just like Roland and Eddie better.

alinda
01-14-2011, 08:50 AM
well, call me crazy but I think that WE are the best tet....just give it a thought to see what I mean.
right? :shoot:

blavigne
01-14-2011, 08:53 AM
well, call me crazy but I think that WE are the best tet....just give it a thought to see what I mean.
right? :shoot:

Agree!! what a smart lady you are! :)

Jean
01-14-2011, 09:23 AM
yes, she is