PDA

View Full Version : pablo

mae
12-02-2009, 10:02 AM
As a new member of the staff of this wonderful site, I guess it's my turn at this Staff Spotlight thing. I have to say, this is probably the best site or forum I've ever been a part of. Even though I joined relatively late, and haven't been a very active member in the early going, and don't know all you great people as well as I'd like to, this still feels like a very warm and loving family or a close circle of friends. That's great.

As for myself... Honestly, I hate talking about myself. It makes me somewhat uneasy. Maybe, in part, because my life has been pretty uneventful thus far.

My real name is Paul, but everyone calls me Pablo; in real life, too. It's a nickname that's stuck with me for as long as I can remember, and now I can't remember exactly why. I was born in 1980, on January 17th, and lived in Brooklyn, NY until I was 17, when my family moved to central New Jersey, where I live to this day. I love to travel, though I have never been outside the country. Yet. Best kind of travel and vacationing for me is by car. I love visiting new places and seeing and experiencing new things.

I love reading, obviously. I try to read once a day, even if just a few pages. But I don't always have time to accomplish that goal. Stephen King is by far my favorite author. Prior to 1995, when I discovered him, I didn't think I could have a favorite author, where I'd need to read everything written by that person. I read a lot then (sadly, I read a lot less nowadays), and so read a lot of different books and authors. But when I chanced upon a really beat-up paperback of Pet Sematary, picking it out of my high school's library's discard bin, and finishing it in a marathon session, literally reading into the night, I knew I'd found an author, all of whose work I absolutely had to read, as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, I gave away that crumbling copy of my first King book, though now I do have a nice crisp hardcover replacement.

And yeah, I'm a book collector, too, of course. Other than King, I also collect many other authors, including Michael Crichton, Chuck Palahniuk, Haruki Murakami, and a few others. I have lots of non-fiction history books, like the Oxford History of the United States series, Richard J. Evans's The Third Reich trilogy and Shelby Foote's Civil War trilogy, and many others. All hardcovers; I'm a hardcover Nazi. :evil:

I also love music and movies, but who doesn't. I have a huge library of DVDs numbering 1,100-plus titles, and now several Blu-ray discs as well. We have a dedicated home theater in our basement. Entrance fees are $0.

I have an eclectic taste in music, and can even play a little piano - I took some lessons a while ago for about half a year, but ditched that, because it was getting boring and I always kept wanting to improvise and not follow the notation. I like all sorts of music, provided it's good. So, I listen to pretty much anything, but for the most part it's electronic music for me. I could name you dozens of artists, all pretty obscure to general audiences. Not that I take pride in listening to obscure music, not at all. In fact, I think it's quite a shame this music isn't more known.

I've always wanted to be a writer, but I never had that self-discipline you need. I'm too ADD when it comes to writing; I've abandoned dozens of stories. I seem to always want to write something, but I rarely know what. So it's mainly been at that stage, though I do have a rather largish (200 or so pages) manuscript I wrote for two years, starting in 1990. It's laughable, reading it now, but actually not too bad for someone 10-12 years old.

What else? I like European cuisine, long walks on the beach, and my favorite color is green :)

Anyway, that's about it, really, for a quick introduction. Have at it, folks!

Daghain
12-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Welcome to the staff, Pablo!

If/when you were to travel internationally, where is the first place you'd go?

What made you start collecting in the first place? Was it a particular author, just the idea in general, or something else?

Do you have a room dedicated as your library?

turtlex
12-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Welcome to the Blues, pablo !!!

Couple of questions for you :

Who is your favorite Dark Tower character?

What is your favorite DVD and why?

What is the best concert you've ever attended?

mae
12-02-2009, 10:33 AM
If/when you were to travel internationally, where is the first place you'd go?

That's a great question. While it's very unrealistic, I'd love to visit pretty much every country in the world. So it's hard to pinpoint where I'd like to start. I'll have to say Japan. The culture and everything about that country really fascinates me. I love sushi, and a friend living in Tokyo says you never had sushi until you had it in Japan.

What made you start collecting in the first place? Was it a particular author, just the idea in general, or something else?

I've always collected stuff. I guess I'm a little OCD that way. What started me down this path was Stephen King. I never paid much attention to books as objects before, and then I bought my first hardcover (Rose Madder, a new release at the time), and instantly feel in love with the feel of a hardcover book. Now, apart from the greatness that they contain, I view books as objects of art, as I'm sure many here.

Do you have a room dedicated as your library?

I have two! But they're small. My library isn't as vast as what most have here, but it's nice and I like it. It's in my basement, which has three rooms: one is taken up by the above-mentioned home theater, the second one is a sort of living room with couches and chairs for reading, and the third one is an office with my computer. I have a separate bookcase with glass doors dedicated solely to King in that living room, and then two others, in the adjacent room, for all my other books.

Jean
12-02-2009, 10:33 AM
first of all, bears would love to know about your food preferences

do you like Japanese food*? sweets? bakery? soups?

Now, who is your favorite character from American history (Note: it's not about food preferences any longer)? European history? Other world history?

Which was the greatest event of the 20st century? What do you expect of the coming century?

Cats of dogs?

Do you like bears? Did you have a teddy? Maybe you have one now? What did/does he look like?

*I see this question was answered as bears were typing

alinda
12-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Pablo, it is so nice to have the chance to know more about you. Welcome to the blues indeed, it's great that you've joined us. I do not have any questions in mind, so with your consent, I shall just sit back and read your answers...
:lol:

mae
12-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Who is your favorite Dark Tower character?

I think Eddie. He rings the most real to me. Not that the others aren't written any worse; he's just very grounded in reality and I guess a sort of contemporary. Plus he's just cool. :)

What is your favorite DVD and why?

With a vast collection like mine, it's tough to say. I love all kinds of movies, from classics to modern blockbusters, from comedies to horror, from cartoons to foreign cinema. As an actual DVD, I'll have to say my favorite is probably Seven Samurai: The Criterion Collection. It's a monster of a three-disc set. An essential release of one of the best films ever made. As a personal favorite movie, yet not necessarily the best disc, would probably be Bringing Up Baby. No matter how many times I watch it, I laugh like a little schoolgirl.

What is the best concert you've ever attended?

I've been to all sorts of concerts, especially in my turbulent teenage years :) The most memorable would have to be the Nine Inch Nails concert in Madison Square Garden in 1994, during The Downward Spiral tour. It was memorable perhaps because when we all filed inside, the show wouldn't start, and it had been a while. People were getting restless and rowdy. Then an announcer came out and said the concert has been canceled, because the guitar player had a busted finger. Everyone booed and showed him their finger. We were told to save the ticket stub and come back either tomorrow or the day after, I don't remember. It was rescheduled, and we got to see the band finally, though it was at a different venue, I think. I have a pretty hazy memory of that... :) :beat:

mae
12-02-2009, 11:19 AM
first of all, bears would love to know about your food preferences

do you like Japanese food*? sweets? bakery? soups?
*I see this question was answered as bears were typing

I love Japanese food, and not just sushi (especially since most people say sushi when they really mean maki). And I like all kinds of different foods and cuisines, though I'm not very high on sweets or baked goods. I like good gourmet bread, but eat it rarely. Soups I'm pretty ambiguous about. I love meat and fish and other seafood. Pretty much anything. I love a good steak or a tender filet mignon. I love tuna, salmon, raw oysters. Italian, French, etc. It's all good. I just returned from Texas and I had probably the best steak ever, mop steak, in Fort Worth. Just wow, I was speechless. As for drinks, I like wine and cheese; I like bourbon; I like ale. I know you're a connoisseur, Jean, what foods would you recommend?

Now, who is your favorite character from American history (Note: it's not about food preferences any longer)? European history? Other world history?

In American history it's probably John Adams. I think he's a very interesting and unique character in the history of the United States, and perhaps even the world at the time. For European history - and I wouldn't call him favorite by any means - it has to be Adolf Hitler. Despite his hubris and misanthropy, he's probably one of the most important people in European history, which undoubtedly has many important people to choose from. That entire era fascinates me, and I highly recommend professor Evans' Third Reich trilogy to anyone curious about the subject. As far as overall world history, that's hard to say, as I'm less familiar with that, and there are again lots of good candidates. Maybe I'll cop out and say czar Nicholas II of Russia? :) Even though this is again more European than world.

Which was the greatest event of the 20st century? What do you expect of the coming century?

Well, unequivocally it is the two World Wars. Some historians, and I'm inclined to agree, view WWI and WWII as a single event. The 20th century certainly has a myriad of great events, but the most important and the most resonating, in my opinion, is probably that. The current century looks to be just as troublesome as the previous, if not more. I hope we'll be going in a more peaceful direction, but I sadly don't expect that any time soon.

Cats of dogs?

Cats. But only because we have one now. Our dog died several years ago, and I would've said dogs then :)

Do you like bears? Did you have a teddy? Maybe you have one now? What did/does he look like?

I love bears! My favorite bear is Winnie the Pooh, but I don't have an actual teddy bear now, though of course I did have several as a child.

Sam
12-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Never been to Canada dude? You can usually get to Canada on a drunken bet man, what happened to ya?
You say "we". Are you married or still live with your folks? Children or no?
Who was your first kiss?
Dolls or action figures?
What was your favorite toy growing up?
What is your favorite meal (as in the food you eat, not breakfast, lunch, or supper)?
If you weren't a guy, what would you be?
Favorite animal?
Favorite film (you already said dvd, now include everything that was filmed and released up to today, be it on dvd, vhs, laserdisc, videodisc, in theaters, or on Grog's stone tablet)?
Strangest place you've ever participated in sexual activity of any sort?
Best kisser?
Most memorable event in your life?
Most embarrassing?
Do you know that the basement is not the best place for your book collection? You do now.:evil:
And finally, have you ever commited any crime punishable by more than one year in prison or $5000.00 fine? If "Yes", please explain.

mae
12-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Never been to Canada dude? You can usually get to Canada on a drunken bet man, what happened to ya?

You can probably go to Canada sober, too. Just never had the occasion yet.

You say "we". Are you married or still live with your folks? Children or no?

I actually moved back in with my folks a few years ago, after breaking up with my last girlfriend. With the economy and the real estate being what it is, I'll probably be staying with them for a few years still. Not married, and was never in any very serious relationship. The most serious lasted only eight months. Thus no children. Time is surely ticking, but I'm not in any hurry just yet.

Who was your first kiss?

I suppose you aren't interested in kindergarten playground stuff, like you-show-me-yours-I'll-show-you-mine. The first real kiss came when I was about fourteen I think. It was a very nice girl that I was real close to at the time. We haven't spoken in more than 10 years.

Dolls or action figures?
What was your favorite toy growing up?

Neither. I was not big on toys as a kid (I guess army men were cool), but some modern action figures geared towards adults are pretty cool.

What is your favorite meal (as in the food you eat, not breakfast, lunch, or supper)?

Probably sushi, as I said before. If I could, I'd eat them every day. At one point I actually did. But it's way too expensive.

If you weren't a guy, what would you be?

Is there more than one choice that remains? Or you don't mean human? I actually think it would be cool to be the opposite sex. Like in all those switcheroo movies where a man becomes a woman and vice versa. :fairy: I don't think I would want to be any animal. Maybe some bird.

Favorite animal?

Don't really have one. Like I told Jean, I like bears, but I really like all animals, especially if they're furry. I like lions and tigers; really all felines. I would have to say my favorite is the elephant, though.

Favorite film (you already said dvd, now include everything that was filmed and released up to today, be it on dvd, vhs, laserdisc, videodisc, in theaters, or on Grog's stone tablet)?

This is easy. I have tons of favoirites, of course, but the one that springs immediately to mind is The Abyss. Perhaps it's not even close to being in any film critics Top Anything List of All Time, but for me it has personal meaning. I guess because it came out when I was nine, and it really had a huge effect on me.

Strangest place you've ever participated in sexual activity of any sort?

Now we're getting to the good questions! :) I could name several, but I wouldn't shock anybody (the car, the basement of the laundromat where I worked, etc.). I'm pretty conservative. I guess not the weirdest but coolest was on a deserted NJ beach at 3 in the morning in October (very cold, yet very hot).

Best kisser?

Other than myself? :P

Most memorable event in your life?

Probably seeing Stephen King live in NYC for the TimesTalk thing. Just because it's fresh in my mind. It was awesome. The first time I saw a celebrity that up close and personal. I didn't meet the man, but this was cool nevertheless.

Most embarrassing?

Thankfully I haven't had many. One would be when I was explaining to a girl my romantic feelings toward her, and being interrupted twice by a waiter, having to start over and over again. That was uncomfortable.

Do you know that the basement is not the best place for your book collection? You do now.:evil:

Which is why I have a dehumidifier!

And finally, have you ever commited any crime punishable by more than one year in prison or $5000.00 fine? If "Yes", please explain.

This sounds like a job application... No, I'm a good guy. For the most part :arg:

Jean
12-03-2009, 02:19 AM
Soups I'm pretty ambiguous about.
it's because you don't know real soups!

I know you're a connoisseur, Jean, what foods would you recommend?
Soups, of course. Russian mushroom soup (I posted the recipe once, can find it for you), Borshch (борщ), Russian meat-and-salt-cucumber soup (рассольник), etc!

For European history - and I wouldn't call him favorite by any means - it has to be Adolf Hitler.
He definitely is one of the most influential and most impressive (can't say just "most" in either case because there's also are Lenin and Stalin) characters, right; but how about a favorite?

I love bears! My favorite bear is Winnie the Pooh, but I don't have an actual teddy bear now, though of course I did have several as a child.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Darkthoughts
12-03-2009, 02:44 AM
Congratulations Pablo :couple:

I've recently discovered Murakami and cannot believe such an excellent author has existed, without my having him read him, for so long! Which is your favourite novel of his and why?

mae
12-03-2009, 05:29 AM
He definitely is one of the most influential and most impressive (can't say just "most" in either case because there's also are Lenin and Stalin) characters, right; but how about a favorite?

From the good guys, Johann Gutenberg. Need I say more? :)

mae
12-03-2009, 05:31 AM
I've recently discovered Murakami and cannot believe such an excellent author has existed, without my having him read him, for so long! Which is your favourite novel of his and why?

A Wild Sheep Chase, because it's just very surreal and weird, and I really like his short stories, too.