PDA

View Full Version : 8th Dark Tower Novel - The Wind Through the Keyhole

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Nerak
08-17-2011, 09:37 AM
:) was good story!! And It does matter what the title is. It needs to be The Dark Tower: Wind Through the Keyhole if it's gonna match..... at least I think so!

Tito_Villa
08-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Quick question - with Jae Lee being the illustrator will all of the illustrations be in black and white because he had a colourer in the comics?

Brainslinger
08-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Quick question - with Jae Lee being the illustrator will all of the illustrations be in black and white because he had a colourer in the comics?

I would think not, although it's possible. I think the two types of art are produced rather differently (although comic art is sometimes used in prose novels.) From what I understand, the big two, DC and Marvel, tend to produce a lot of their work like a factory production line. So often you have one artist doing pencils, one inking, one colouring. (That's not a strict rule but that seems to be how many do things. It's a bit different over here in the UK, as one artist will often do the whole lot, or at least ink his own pencils. ) I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe it's a speed thing or maybe they just like the idea of lots of artists bringing something slightly different to the art. (Bearing in mind inking isn't just tracing. ;) )

With the novel art I'm sure Jae Lee will have more time to produce the art, so he'll likely paint it too. there isn't the need for speed that the comics require. A lot of comic artists are well capable of doing the other art jobs even if they tend to stick to one thing on comics.

This is just me guessing though. Maybe someone in the actual know will provide us with more information soon.

Nerak
08-18-2011, 07:08 AM

Not all B&W

Tito_Villa
08-18-2011, 07:13 AM

Not all B&W

Thanks Karen

Ari_Racing
08-18-2011, 07:45 AM
Any sneak peak we can see of the artwork that is already made? :)

Jimimck
08-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Any sneak peak we can see of the artwork that is already made? :)

Go on. You know CD would give us a preview Nudge Nudge :lol:

Ari_Racing
08-18-2011, 12:51 PM
But the S/L is made by Grant, not Cemetery Dance. :P

herbertwest
08-22-2011, 03:18 PM
So the BIG announcement on this board will be around the date of the 1st of october, which is the end of the DARKTOWER.COM countdown...

Ari_Racing
08-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Actually the countdown ends on September 18th, and this one ends on October.

JameseyLefebure
08-23-2011, 02:29 AM
Hey Guys - Does anyone know when this is coming out? I've not actually been on the board for about a year so i'm finding it a nightmare to try and read EVERYTHING that got posted while I was away - you guys sure do talk alot ;)

Jamesey
xxxxx

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-23-2011, 03:30 AM
April 3rd, 2012

JameseyLefebure
08-23-2011, 04:37 AM
thanks very much :)

herbertwest
08-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Actually the countdown ends on September 18th, and this one ends on October.

Oh yeah darktower.com 's countdown finishes the 18th of september then? i thought it was the first of october!
18th of september... and ron howard's announcement was done on the 8th of september 2010

costanza
08-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Ms. Mod on the main site says this is official but that it doesn't mention everything. From amazon.uk

For readers new to The Dark Tower, THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE is a stand-alone novel, and a wonderful introduction to the series. It is a story within a story, which features both the younger and older gunslinger Roland on his quest to find the Dark Tower. Fans of the existing seven books in the series will also delight in discovering what happened to Roland and his ka tet between the time they leave the Emerald City and arrive at the outskirts of Calla Bryn Sturgis.

This Russian Doll of a novel, a story within a story, within a story, visits Mid-World's last gunslinger, Roland Deschain, and his ka-tet as a ferocious storm halts their progress along the Path of the Beam. (The novel can be placed between Dark Tower IV and Dark Tower V.) Roland tells a tale from his early days as a gunslinger, in the guilt ridden year following his mother's death. Sent by his father to investigate evidence of a murderous shape shifter, a "skin man," Roland takes charge of Bill Streeter, a brave but terrified boy who is the sole surviving witness to the beast's most recent slaughter. Roland, himself only a teenager, calms the boy by reciting a story from the Book of Eld that his mother used to read to him at bedtime, "The Wind through the Keyhole." "A person's never too old for stories," he says to Bill. "Man and boy, girl and woman, we live for them." And stories like these, they live for us.

mae
09-05-2011, 05:55 AM
We have cover:

http://catalog.simonandschuster.com/Covers800/9781451658903.jpg

Very Tolkienesque. Although it does say, it's not the final cover: http://catalog.simonandschuster.com/TitleDetails/TitleDetails.aspx?cid=1305&isbn=9781451658903

Ben Staad
09-05-2011, 06:03 AM
I like it and yes it does remind me of the Tolkien books. Hopefully they won't add "bestselling author" anywhere to the cover.

frik
09-05-2011, 07:02 AM
Kinda dull, isn't it?
Not one of my favorites.

sk

mae
09-05-2011, 07:19 AM
And very un-Kinglike.

Merlin1958
09-05-2011, 07:49 AM
Is it just me or, does anyone else feel that it is just screaming for someone(s) or something to be depicted in that clearing past the big rock. Or maybe on the big rock for that matter!!!

Bev Vincent
09-05-2011, 07:50 AM
I like it a lot -- it's very representative of the book, especially the underlying story within the story within the story, which is very much a quest-type tale.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-05-2011, 07:53 AM
I does not say, "Wind Through the Keyhole" to me.

Merlin1958
09-05-2011, 07:58 AM
FWIW, it's not yet utilized on the King site.................yet

I hear ya RT, but maybe it makes more sense after reading the story?

mae
09-05-2011, 07:59 AM
Again, I reiterate, the Scribner site states the cover is not final, so very likely it can change. I kinda like it, it's different. And this is the Scribner edition. The Grant edition will surely have its own cover.

Bev Vincent
09-05-2011, 08:08 AM
The title is more metaphorical than literal.

mae
09-05-2011, 08:19 AM
Actually, now that I think about it, I doubt the cover will change much. It's obviously a product of much work by the artist, not something slapped together by S&S's PR department. Could be something like the Under the Dome preliminary cover, which was an enlarged detail of the final dust jacket. But I think I like it as is. Still has a very pronounced Tolkien feel to it, which I'm not sure is a good idea.

Bev Vincent
09-05-2011, 08:26 AM
I agree -- the things that are most likely to change are text placement/design. The image itself is unlikely to change unless it's a section of a larger work and they decide to recrop it. Why don't you like the Tolkien feel? It's somewhat appropriate.

mae
09-05-2011, 08:41 AM
Just not very original. Reminds me of The Silmarillion or something (like this one (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NBF2N3WRL.jpg)), in its artwork, layout, and fonts. But I do like it very much, nevertheless. I wonder what Grant will come up with. Since all my DT books are Grant books, I'll have to get the Grant edition anyway.

Ricky
09-05-2011, 10:06 AM
I think that cover is awful. It kind of reminds me of that calendar/notebook (?) with that romantic-esque Misery cover. It doesn't fit with the DT series at all. Hopefully this is just a placeholder.

Merlin1958
09-05-2011, 01:47 PM
Upon further thought, it is very appropriate. It certainly sets it aside from the original series covers, which I am sure is intentional. I like the "Tolkien feel" both for the obvious "homage" to J.R.R. and the fact that it deals with a different "quest" from what I understand. I'll tell you one thing, the more you look, the more it intrigues!!

neosatus
09-05-2011, 05:40 PM
That cover is pretty Blah. I'm just glad it's the Scribner cover. It does kinda fit the story, of the 4 going into the forest... so it's all good.

I'm sure Grant's will be awesome though :D

neosatus
09-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Upon further thought, it is very appropriate. It certainly sets it aside from the original series covers, which I am sure is intentional. I like the "Tolkien feel" both for the obvious "homage" to J.R.R. and the fact that it deals with a different "quest" from what I understand. I'll tell you one thing, the more you look, the more it intrigues!!

Haha, well I'll keep looking at it then. Maybe it will grow on me.

It just seems the type of cover one would expect on a paperback.

Brainslinger
09-06-2011, 03:04 PM
It's certainly pretty.

I wonder if us over in the UK will be lumbered with another rather plain cover though.

WeDealInLead
09-12-2011, 06:59 AM
That cover is awful. Zero effort.

Merlin1958
09-12-2011, 05:22 PM

That's a tad harsh, no?

I mean it is not anywhere near as adventurous and groundbreaking as UTD, but it's not totally crap either IMHO

Lilja
09-12-2011, 10:30 PM
I kind of like it. And who knows, it might fit the story.

Lilja

WeDealInLead
09-13-2011, 11:18 AM

That's a tad harsh, no?

I mean it is not anywhere near as adventurous and groundbreaking as UTD, but it's not totally crap either IMHO

This is just a photograph. It doesn't even come close to any of the previous DT covers which were all serious pieces of art. I stand by what I said, this is crap and shows serious lack of creativity, originality and effort.

Ricky
09-13-2011, 12:28 PM
This is just a photograph. It doesn't even come close to any of the previous DT covers which were all serious pieces of art. I stand by what I said, this is crap and shows serious lack of creativity, originality and effort.

QFT. Every word.

pathoftheturtle
09-13-2011, 12:54 PM
Disagree. A lot of the previous covers were, well, kind of comic-book-y if you step back and really think about it. IMO, this one looks kind of cool.

mae
09-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Agree. Very classy-looking.

pixiedark76
09-14-2011, 02:11 PM
I think the cover looks awesome!

DanishCollector
09-14-2011, 02:40 PM
I like it too. I don't agree that the other ones looked comic-book-y, though.

WeDealInLead
09-14-2011, 05:25 PM
I'd like it more if it were a painting. My main complaint it that it seems lazy. It's a photograph that either is or isn't retouched in Photoshop.

I agree that covers for other books don't look comic-y. There are so many different styles and approaches to them. I mean, EVERYTHING can fit a comic if it fits the mood of it so in a way Path is correct, but I've yet to see Phil Hale's style attempted in a comic.

neosatus
09-14-2011, 07:34 PM
It looks like a painting to me..

velcro_fly
09-15-2011, 01:31 AM
I am not trying to make anyone mad, but who cares what the cover looks like, as long as the story is good

Bad Karma
09-15-2011, 04:25 AM
Awesome cover..incredibly blank, but beautiful, what else would you feel but wind looking at that scene? Now, on to the BIG BIG BIG question.....

Since I've failed in locating a proper thread to put this in, here goes, [bracing against the backlash]...

What the hell happened to both the, that's right, TWO, .38spl revolvers and gunbelts Roland brought with him [as Jack Mort] through the PUSHER door? he had the .45LC ammo in his "blue suit" pockets, both pistol belts strapped on him when he came through.

*anyone have any suggestions, and for anyone who doesn't know, this is from DOT3. ANY ANSWERS? this is bugging the entire crap out of me.

noal
09-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Well, This is the cover on Amazon UK at the moment.

I think it may well change!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wind-Through-Keyhole-Tower-Novel/dp/144473170X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316119362&sr=8-1

F1racefan
09-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Talk about a boring cover!

mae
09-15-2011, 01:07 PM
That's a placeholder for a cover.

F1racefan
09-15-2011, 03:30 PM

I would certainly hope so!:D

Merlin1958
09-15-2011, 07:59 PM
Awesome cover..incredibly blank, but beautiful, what else would you feel but wind looking at that scene? Now, on to the BIG BIG BIG question.....

Since I've failed in locating a proper thread to put this in, here goes, [bracing against the backlash]...

What the hell happened to both the, that's right, TWO, .38spl revolvers and gunbelts Roland brought with him [as Jack Mort] through the PUSHER door? he had the .45LC ammo in his "blue suit" pockets, both pistol belts strapped on him when he came through.

*anyone have any suggestions, and for anyone who doesn't know, this is from DOT3. ANY ANSWERS? this is bugging the entire crap out of me.

Huh, you got me on that one. As I recall he was bringing back ammo for his guns. As I recall didn't he have the cop's 357 at one point? I don't recall 2 .38's, but its been awhile since I read it last.

Oh and I think there is a thread dedicated to "Roland's Guns" where you may find your answer.

Good Luck

:YYY:

Brainslinger
09-16-2011, 12:17 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if that ended up final. The covers of the UK editions of the last DT novels (5-7) were all pretty basic. I actually didn't dislike them though, they have a certain mood to them.

Merlin1958
09-16-2011, 05:21 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if that ended up final. The covers of the UK editions of the last DT novels (5-7) were all pretty basic. I actually didn't dislike them though, they have a certain mood to them.

"Mood" is a pretty good way to describe those 3 UK editions. A little "darker" as well.

pixiedark76
09-19-2011, 04:18 PM

That goes double for me!

Bev Vincent
10-27-2011, 08:22 AM
The official word this morning is that the mass market publication date for this is April 24, 2012.

mae
10-27-2011, 09:04 AM
So the Grant will be the first edition again all by itself unlike the weird situation with the Scribner/Grant first editions of books five through seven.

Lilja
10-27-2011, 01:04 PM
On King's site it says March 12. Is that the Grant ed?

Lilja

Lilja
10-27-2011, 01:10 PM
Sorry, saw the post on King's board. Guess they haven't had a chance to update the site yet.

Lilja

Nerak
10-27-2011, 01:14 PM
I believe we are shooting for February isnt that what the newsletter says?

Lilja
10-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Speaking of King's board are you getting timeouts a lot on it? I do all the time.

Lilja

Bev Vincent
10-27-2011, 01:19 PM
Some slow loads, but never a timeout.

Lilja
10-27-2011, 01:20 PM
9 times out of 10 i get a 404 error and the text that the page can't be found.

Lilja

jhanic
10-27-2011, 01:28 PM
The SKMB has been having server (Time Warner) problems recently. They're working on it.

John

F1racefan
11-02-2011, 05:20 AM
Amazon just sent me a notification that the release date has been pushed back to May 2012 now.:cry:

Lilja
11-02-2011, 05:27 AM
Their site and S&S still says April 24. King's site says March 12.

Lilja

SkippyD023
11-02-2011, 10:00 AM
My notice from Amazon (received this morning) stating the release date has been pushed back and listed a date of April 24th.

F1racefan
11-02-2011, 12:42 PM
My notice from Amazon (received this morning) stating the release date has been pushed back and listed a date of April 24th.

That is what mine said also. It is the scheduled delivery date that was May 4th. I misquoted it.

Nerak
11-03-2011, 07:34 AM
You don't want the Scribner edition...you want a Grant edition....you are all being Hypnotized into buying a Grant edition.....

F1racefan
11-03-2011, 08:19 AM
You don't want the Scribner edition...you want a Grant edition....you are all being Hypnotized into buying a Grant edition.....

I am just waiting for the email that says I can buy a Grant version.:excited:

SkippyD023
11-03-2011, 09:52 AM

Don't worry Karen I will be buying a Grant edition as well. I just need to wait until you start accepting orders.

biomieg
11-03-2011, 10:19 AM

Don't worry Karen I will be buying a Grant edition as well. I just need to wait until you start accepting orders.

+1!

noal
11-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Amazon UK sent me an e-mail this week moving my delivery estimate FORWARD to 5th April!

Nice.:dance:

Merlin1958
11-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Karen? is DMG making any provisions for those who bought LSOE AE's to get AE's of WTTK? Or is it just first come, first served?

Come to think of it, will there be AE's?

Jimimck
11-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Yeah I'm sure Grant's latest newsletter confirmed 5000 AE editions, which will come in a slipcase.
I'm guessing they will just allow who ever wants to buy them, as many as they want, as I doubt that kind of a print run will sell out any time soon...

I know I'm gonna get me one

Merlin1958
11-03-2011, 07:05 PM
I didn't see it for some reason, but put me down for one!!!!!

wahlers
11-04-2011, 01:10 PM
Unless his style changed drastically, the presumably temp cover does not look like Jae Lee artwork, and unless I'm mistaken none of the books have had different artists do the covers on the first edition hardcovers.

TCCBodhi
11-25-2011, 10:51 PM
Looking forward to DT8(or 4.5?), but will have to get lucky in the lottery AGAIN. I was in the lottery from DT2 onward and finally got pulled for DT7. I improved my copy number to around 10xx, but now I'll be hoping for my luck to hold out again.

A quick question about all the Artist Editions in general. I'm have absolutely NO interest in selling my Artist Editions but would love to know if I have any of the extra sketches. I don't really buy other collectibles of any sort, so I'm kind of in the dark of how much market value I'd be taking off the Artist Editions if I took the shrink wrap off only to check for any remarques. I'm assuming that they would not be, but how much would I be harming the market value

*EDIT*
Sorry, I'm in the wrong thread, but looks like I can't just delete.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-26-2011, 05:44 AM
I don't really buy other collectibles of any sort, so I'm kind of in the dark of how much market value I'd be taking off the Artist Editions if I took the shrink wrap off only to check for any remarques. I'm assuming that they would not be, but how much would I be harming the market value.

There is no difference in the market value between shrinkwrapped or not.

divemaster
11-26-2011, 06:51 AM
To me, a shrinkwrapped book has less value, if buying on the secondhand market. How do I know there is not a misfeed or a flaw? I actually purchased a Cemetery Dance book that had 11 or so missing pages. I was able to swap it out no problem, but if I never took off the shrinkwrap?

To me, there is NO advantage to keeping a book in shrinkwrap.

ChristineB
11-26-2011, 07:07 AM
I'm with the above posters.

I wouldn't buy a book in shrikwrap on the secondary market for the exact reasons above. You have no idea what the book really is if it is still in the shrinkwrap.

I also believe the shrinkwrap can be detrimental to the book itself, encasing a book in shrinkwrap for years is not what the manufacturer entended the product to be used for, it can trap condensation inside the shrinkwrap and damage the book. Just remove the shrinkwrap.

TCCBodhi
11-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll get them out of the shrink wraps once I have other methods of protection for them other than the sealed shelf that I have. I'm looking forward to having a glimpse at these Artist Editions. I'll carefully photograph them if I happen to have any remarques.

Merlin1958
11-26-2011, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the replies. I'll get them out of the shrink wraps once I have other methods of protection for them other than the sealed shelf that I have. I'm looking forward to having a glimpse at these Artist Editions. I'll carefully photograph them if I happen to have any remarques.

Obviously, you need to familarize yourself with the fabled "Dolso Wooden Slip/Traycases"!!!

https://www.bookslipcase.com/Home.html

'You need it, he makes it"

:lol1:

pixiedark76
11-30-2011, 11:34 AM
I'm with the above posters.

I wouldn't buy a book in shrikwrap on the secondary market for the exact reasons above. You have no idea what the book really is if it is still in the shrinkwrap.

I also believe the shrinkwrap can be detrimental to the book itself, encasing a book in shrinkwrap for years is not what the manufacturer entended the product to be used for, it can trap condensation inside the shrinkwrap and damage the book. Just remove the shrinkwrap.

I kept some of my graphic novels in shrink wrap for at least 3 years. When I decided to take the shrink wrap off, I noticed that some of the corners were "bent" and that the book jacket was ripped at the corners. It looked like the shrink wrap caused the rips in the book jacket. Also the book itself seemed bent. The books I kept in shrink wrap were a lot worse off than the ones that were not kept in shrink wrap.

mae
12-05-2011, 05:13 PM
So we're pretty close now to the previously stated release date of February 2012. Any updates as to preordering yet?

Randall Flagg
12-05-2011, 06:53 PM
So we're pretty close now to the previously stated release date of February 2012. Any updates as to preordering yet?
The revised release is 4/24/2012. Since 11/22/63 is still being promoted, I wouldn't expect much info until after the 1st of the year.

jhanic
12-05-2011, 07:12 PM
I know the release date of the trade edition has been moved into April, but I thought Grant was staying with the February date. I could be wrong about that.

John

mae
12-05-2011, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I'd meant the Grant edition.

Nerak
12-13-2011, 03:35 AM
Look for news coming this week.....

Tatts4Life
12-13-2011, 05:16 AM
AWESOME!!

Nerak
12-14-2011, 04:03 AM
dammit, post-poned til next week......

Jimimck
12-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Oh you're killing us! :P

Nerak
12-15-2011, 03:47 AM
didn't do it on purpose! I was very excited...

Leah
12-16-2011, 08:21 AM
I honestly loved "The Shining" so I think a sequel could be prolific!

Brian James Freeman
12-16-2011, 08:24 AM
didn't do it on purpose! I was very excited...

Can't wait to hear the details! I'm sure it'll be here soon enough. :)

Brian

Nerak
12-19-2011, 06:17 AM
Welcome to issue #75 of the Donald M. Grant Newsletter

19 December 2011

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THE DARK TOWER: THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE
1. WEB ORDER PAGE
2. DEPOSIT/INSTALLMENT OPTION
3. ARTIST EDITION
4. DELUXE EDITION
5. SCRIBNER TRADE EDITION
6. TRADE EDITION SLIPCASE
7. PRINTED FLYER
8. ORDER CONFIRMATION

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DARK TOWER: THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE

1. WEB ORDER PAGE

We are now accepting advance orders for both the Deluxe and
Artist Editions of THE DARK TOWER: THE WIND THROUGH
THE KEYHOLE at:

https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-sk-dt-twttk.html

Please read the rest of this Newsletter before placing your order.

2. DEPOSIT/INSTALLMENT OPTION

Because of the state of the economy if your order totals over
$300 we are willing to accept a 1/3 deposit with your order, 1/3
a month later the final 1/3 will be charged when the order is
shipped. If you wish to send checks you may send three post--
dated checks. For foreign orders we will put the full shipping
amount in the final charge.

3. ARTIST EDITION

There is a 5,000 copy Artist Edition signed by Jae Lee and issued
in a stamped slipcase. Retail price is $75.00 plus shipping.
Unlike the Artist Editions of the DARK TOWER 5, 6 & 7 there is
no limitation on who may buy this edition.

4. DELUXE EDITION

Stephen King has agreed to sign only 800 copies of a Deluxe
Edition which is also signed by Jae Lee and issued in a stamped
clamshell tray case. Retail price is $350.00 plus shipping.

As usual there is a much greater demand for our Deluxe Editions
than copies available, so in keeping with our policy of supporting
our long time customers, the S&N Deluxe Edition can be ordered
only by those who have a S&N THE LITTLE SISTERS OF
ELURIA below # 801 (you must still own it when we ship THE
WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE or your order will be can-
celled and any depost/payment refunded and the Deluxe Edition
sold to the new owner.).

We will then do a lottery drawing approximately six weeks after
the Deluxe Editions are shipped for remaining available copies
but as we expect there to be very few copies available the lottery
will be restricted to owners of Numbered THE LITTLE SISTERS
OF ELURIA between 801 and 1,250.

LOTTERY: Send us a POSTCARD (NOT an email or letter)
which reads:

“Please put me in the lottery to purchase a copy of the signed &
numbered Deluxe The WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE. I
have # ____ of THE Little Sisters of Eluria.” Include
your name, address, phone number, and if you wish, email
address.

REMEMBER, only send in ONE post card per copy of The
Little Sisters of Eluria that you have. If we receive
more than one request from anyone we will throw them ALL
away. We want everyone to have an equal chance.

5. SCRIBNER TRADE EDITION

Scribner has announced their release of a trade hardcover
edition of THE DARK TOWER: THE WIND THROUGH THE
KEYHOLE on April 24, 2012.

6. TRADE EDITION SLIPCASE

We will be producing a slipcase for the Scribner Trade Edition
which will match the three slipcases we produced for the first
seven Dark Tower books:

https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-sk-dt-slipcases.html

This will not be shipped until 6-8 weeks after the Trade Edition
is released so that we can be sure it will fit properly. Cost is
$30.00.

7. PRINTED FLYER

We are doing our usual full-color printed flyer but felt it made
more sense to mail it in January rather than just before
Christmas.

8. ORDER CONFIRMATION

If you send a check and the check is cashed we have received
your order. If you sent an order via our website you will receive
as confirmation an email titled “RE WWW Form Submission”. As
we expect to receive 1,500 or more email orders within 24 hours
of sending this Newsletter you may not receive your confirma-
tion for several weeks. If you call or email us this will only delay
getting orders ready.

We have a small staff and will be hiring extra help but it will take
time to process orders, especially for people expecting a specific
numbered copy. We appreciate your patience.

Please do not call or email us for further details as we will just
refer you to our web site and suggest you remain subscribed to
our email newsletter.

We will send out another Newsletter when we know when ship-
ping will begin.

Thank you.

Robert K. Wiener, President
Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc.

biomieg
12-19-2011, 06:19 AM
I was just going to post the link: https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-sk-dt-twttk.html

Thank you, Karen!!! I ordered the Artist Edition.

Here's a short excerpt of the novel I hadn't seen before (I probablymissed it earlier): https://secure.grantbooks.com/z-sk-dt-twttk-test-start.html

Nerak
12-19-2011, 06:26 AM
Welcome!! Soooo excited! Looking for art comments? Anyone Anyone?

Tatts4Life
12-19-2011, 07:09 AM
Karen, is that what the cover is gonna look like that's posted on the Grant site? I like it a lot. But at the same time it reminds me more of the graphic novels then of a Stephen King novel.

divemaster
12-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Karen, I'd like to confirm that my PMs/e-mails last month went through showing that I own LSOE #464. Are we good?

Brice
12-19-2011, 09:13 AM
Yes, she has that information. She also has been informed that you moved in with me and has changed your shipping address to show that fact. Unfortunately she's FAR too busy to make any furthur changes. :evil:

Randall Flagg
12-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Do you like the Grant cover for The Wind Through The Keyhole?
Cover:
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1324314512-TWTTK-jacket.jpg

Brice
12-19-2011, 09:21 AM
I voted yes. I do like the cover. It just doesn't feel like a DT cover to me.

jhanic
12-19-2011, 09:23 AM
I voted no. It looks too much like a comics cover than a book cover.

John

frik
12-19-2011, 09:33 AM
True, John. That's the first thing I thought when I saw this cover.
Still, I voted yes. It's not my favorite cover -that would be the one from The Waste Lands- but I do like it.

sk

biomieg
12-19-2011, 10:16 AM
In the end, I decided to vote 'no'. I sort of like it, I mean it's not a bad piece of art, but... not for a Dark Tower book.

carlosdetweiller
12-19-2011, 10:19 AM
I voted "No." Jae Lee's art makes it look like Midworld has been relocated to somewhere in the vicinity of Beijing.

olverts
12-19-2011, 10:21 AM
I voted no . I don´t like it at all !!!

I agree what John says that it looks too much like a comics cover than a book cover.

Patrick
12-19-2011, 10:46 AM
I voted Yes.

The artwork is fine, but I do have strong reservations about the font. I read in the other TWTTKH thread that the cover is meant to evoke a children's story told in the novel, so I guess the cover art and font make sense for this book - I'm giving some credit to the design team at DMG and SK for knowing what they're doing. Like I said, the font is my only concern.

It'll be interesting to see what people (including myself) think of the cover once we've all read the book.

In the more general sense of Jae Lee's artwork: I like his stuff a lot. I do wish that he would draw characters with their eyes open, and/or not in shadow, more often though.

Finally, I'd really like to see the spine of the dustjacket, so we can get an idea how it would look alongside the other books on the shelf. Of course, I'm very interested in the S/L's traycase design and dimensions as well.

marc
12-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Also ordered the artist edition and already got an e-mail from Karen. Maybe it's already been said or asked but any idea on the approximate shipping date? End of April?

Edit: I see I've been nicknamed John F. Kennedy. How very... odd.

mae
12-19-2011, 12:06 PM
Got my order in for the AE, very excited. And that cover is good, if that's the actual cover, but the lettering looks very off.

mae
12-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Maybe it's already been said or asked but any idea on the approximate shipping date? End of April?

On the order page it says:

Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc. expects to be shipping the limited editions of this new Dark Tower novel by Stephen King, illustrated by Jae Lee, by the end of February 2012.

The regular trade Scribner hardcover will be out on April 24.

Cutter
12-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Nope.

Sure I think the artwork is good, but I do not like it as a Dark Tower jacket. So it gets a thumb's down.

divemaster
12-19-2011, 12:27 PM

John

This X 10

mae
12-19-2011, 12:32 PM
The preliminary artwork released by Scribner is very nice, I was hoping for something like that, or similar to past Grant covers. The lettering doesn't really fit the art, and is sort of jarring in a way. So on that I voted no, but the art itself is very nice.

ESW
12-19-2011, 12:34 PM
I think Jae Lee's work is amazing--however, when I saw the cover it did say "graphic novel" or "comic book" to me...the graphic style and the color/font combination is what suggests "comic" to me. It isn't what I'd expect to see on a hardcover; doesn't make it bad, but it is surprising.

biomieg
12-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Hmmph... the more I see it, the less I like it. It would have been so much better with slightly darker tones and a more 'painted' feel. But I'm sure the actual DJ on the actual book will look a lot better than a two-dimensional image on the 'net.

marc
12-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Maybe it's already been said or asked but any idea on the approximate shipping date? End of April?

On the order page it says:

Donald M. Grant, Publisher, Inc. expects to be shipping the limited editions of this new Dark Tower novel by Stephen King, illustrated by Jae Lee, by the end of February 2012.

The regular trade Scribner hardcover will be out on April 24.

Lol, that's what I get for ordering books before properly reading the available information. I am reminded of the Southpark episode of The Human CentIpad. Thanks anyway.

nyy3723a
12-19-2011, 01:09 PM
I went for no...

Jimimck
12-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Just ordered an AE edition.
Finally we are here. Another DT story is upon us!!!

Looking forward to a new Grant edition too.

becca69
12-19-2011, 01:50 PM
I like the art, not crazy about the font choice. It doesn't go with the other covers but I'm ok with that.

mistercrowley
12-19-2011, 02:16 PM
I think the cover is perfect...for when they do a graphic novel. Otherwise it should be a piece of art included in the book not on the cover. When I think Dark Tower, usually a boy and his obese tiger don't come to mind.

John Blaze
12-19-2011, 02:32 PM

John
I voted yes, but I agree. I like it as a book cover. It doesn't feel like a dt cover, though.

herbertwest
12-19-2011, 03:10 PM

John

My toughts exactly!

Ricky
12-19-2011, 03:19 PM
About the cover art? I may be in the minority here, but I really, really don't like it. Granted I'm not a comic art fan, but the cover just looks like a kids book to me.

Ricky
12-19-2011, 03:28 PM
I voted "No." Jae Lee's art makes it look like Midworld has been relocated to somewhere in the vicinity of Beijing.

I couldn't figure out to word my thoughts, but....YES!

I personally hate the cover. For a comic book, yeah, go for it. But for a dark, Stephen King novel? No way in Boo 'ya Moon.

Ben Staad
12-19-2011, 03:59 PM
No I do not like this at all for a novel. My thoughts on this are pretty much summarized by the above comments.

RolandLover
12-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Not a fan of the cover either! Liked the little excerpt from the book!! Can't wait to read it!

fernandito
12-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I'm not digging that cover either.

pixiedark76
12-19-2011, 04:27 PM
I like the cover of the book and the book excerpt. I think the cover is different and interesting.

Randall Flagg
12-19-2011, 05:04 PM
VOTE ON THE COVER ART HERE:http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?14147-Do-you-like-the-Grant-cover-for-The-Wind-Through-The-Keyhole

TCCBodhi
12-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Woohoo, I got my AE copy ordered today. Let's hope that there even IS a lottery for Deluxe, and I get a bit lucky there. Went from the 1400s for DTVII, to the 1000s for LSOE and thought I wouldn't have to cross my fingers again, but so be it. I'm glad to get new books at all.

Merlin1958
12-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Welcome!! Soooo excited! Looking for art comments? Anyone Anyone?

Karen, I'm sorry to say that the cover art is not exactly knocking me over, it does look and feel very "Graphic Novel-ish" I would almost prefer the original stock cover they were using in the beginning. However, that is with not having read the story and therefore not understanding the relevance, but still, being honest you can tell the difference between a Dameron/Whelan etc artist and an illustrator. I mean no offense at all just being totally honest. It just seems like such a divergence from all the other covers in some way. Know what I mean?

I DO like the samples of the interior art though. If that helps. Of course this is just one man's opinion and we all know opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink!!!

Of course, all that being said, I doubt very much it will affect sales in the least.

RolandLover
12-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Voted no! It does feel more like a comic book cover than those of the DT novels.

neosatus
12-19-2011, 05:55 PM
I voted no. It's too simple. The elements that are present don't work well together. I like the art itself. It doesn't scream "comic" to me anymore than many of other other DT covers would had those artists also done comics, so Lee's art is fine.

Basically, just about anyone who uses a computer could have photoshopped that text onto that image in 10 minutes or less.. and that's all there is. Oh and some.. light blue rectangle...?

I really hope that's not the finalized design, especially if that's what the S/L looks like as well.

mae
12-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Also, the author's name is kinda lost there at the bottom.

tippy4
12-19-2011, 06:04 PM
I hate it.

mystima
12-19-2011, 06:07 PM
If it was artwork for the short story "Here Be Tigers" then I would have said yes. It just doesn't work for me.

The Library Policeman
12-19-2011, 06:07 PM
Nope, not keen.

Merlin1958
12-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Maybe the overall idea is to try to make WTTKH a sort of "bridge" novel that allows for King to delve into alternative mediums. The fact that the book is described as "DT 4.5" and the success of the comics and graphic novels may be indicators that King & Co. are supporting a more successful trend in the literary world, sad as I personally may find it, anytime a young person is reading is a good thing and why not embrace that? Now a days, when I ask a kid if they have "read" a story they ask is it on DVD??? LOL In retrospect, getting people to "read" anything in the English language and not "computer-speak" is a good thing, no?

e_taylor
12-19-2011, 07:14 PM
The font is just terrible.

Storyslinger
12-19-2011, 07:34 PM
I voted yes. I do like the cover. It just doesn't feel like a DT cover to me.

Totally agree

mae
12-19-2011, 07:43 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/db/The_Gunslinger.jpg/200px-The_Gunslinger.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3a/The_Drawing_of_the_Three.jpg/200px-The_Drawing_of_the_Three.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/49/The_Waste_Lands.jpg/200px-The_Waste_Lands.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7f/Wizard_and_Glass.jpg/200px-Wizard_and_Glass.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/90/Wolvescalla.jpg/200px-Wolvescalla.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/42/Song_of_Susannah.jpg/200px-Song_of_Susannah.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/54/Thedarktower7.jpg/200px-Thedarktower7.jpghttp://www.liljas-library.com/img/other/wttk_grant_s.jpg

killbourne
12-19-2011, 07:48 PM
I was hoping to see what Jae lee could do outside what we have already seen done in comic books.

Robert Fulman
12-19-2011, 07:49 PM
(Still love the Harry Potter font used for DTV)

TCCBodhi
12-19-2011, 08:02 PM
No for me. Mainly agree with everyone saying that it's perfect for the graphic novels, but it isn't in the spirit of the rest of the main DT novels. "Aslan!"

Scoogs
12-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Grant has usually had decent covers, by small press standards, but this one is truly an embarrassment. I'm shocked that both King's people and Grant actually approved this. Thank God the slipcase will keep this covered up!

The illustration is ok, but the font, typesetting and layout look like they were made by a C grade student in the early '90s using Photoshop 1.0

If someone sent me that cover in their portfolio, they wouldn't even get an interview to be my intern. (graphic design)

Randall Flagg
12-19-2011, 08:06 PM
pablo did a nice job of showing all 8 covers. Each is very different from the other, but TWTTK just looks wrong-it's a comic cover, not a book cover. I shudder to think what the cover for 11/22/63 would look like if done by Jae Lee.

mae
12-19-2011, 08:07 PM
I really like the preliminary not-final cover Scribner has shown us:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f3/The_Wind_Through_the_Keyhole_Cover.jpg/200px-The_Wind_Through_the_Keyhole_Cover.jpg

It has it's pros and cons, but at least it looks like a book cover. I'm hoping it ends up being the final Scribner cover, just so I can get that edition just for the dust jacket, and maybe switch it to the Grant edition. It should fit, right?

tippy4
12-19-2011, 08:52 PM
I don't know if Robert @ Grant had any say-so on the cover and artist choice, but Karen, if he did, please share with him the overwhelming disappointment.

The Library Policeman
12-19-2011, 08:58 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/db/The_Gunslinger.jpg/200px-The_Gunslinger.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3a/The_Drawing_of_the_Three.jpg/200px-The_Drawing_of_the_Three.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/49/The_Waste_Lands.jpg/200px-The_Waste_Lands.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7f/Wizard_and_Glass.jpg/200px-Wizard_and_Glass.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/90/Wolvescalla.jpg/200px-Wolvescalla.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/42/Song_of_Susannah.jpg/200px-Song_of_Susannah.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/54/Thedarktower7.jpg/200px-Thedarktower7.jpghttp://www.liljas-library.com/img/other/wttk_grant_s.jpg

It stands out like a fly on a wedding cake.

Garrell
12-19-2011, 10:05 PM
I like the font and art and composition, hate the light green background, should have been a darker green or just a darker color in general. Also get rid of the blue rectangle. I hate DT 2 and 4 covers but still love the books, I betting I will love this story also.

Patrick
12-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Because I wanted to see the DMG covers in the new proper order, this is Pablo's post, but with DT4.5 positioned between DT4 and DT5 (and I added LSOE):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/db/The_Gunslinger.jpg/200px-The_Gunslinger.jpg...http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/3a/The_Drawing_of_the_Three.jpg/200px-The_Drawing_of_the_Three.jpg...http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/49/The_Waste_Lands.jpg/200px-The_Waste_Lands.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7f/Wizard_and_Glass.jpg/200px-Wizard_and_Glass.jpg...http://www.liljas-library.com/img/other/wttk_grant_s.jpg...http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/90/Wolvescalla.jpg/200px-Wolvescalla.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/42/Song_of_Susannah.jpg/200px-Song_of_Susannah.jpg...http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/54/Thedarktower7.jpg/200px-Thedarktower7.jpg...http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Drivel/LSOE_SL_DJ_Face.jpg

Garrell
12-19-2011, 10:10 PM
I do like that that have used very different "art" styles on all the covers whether I like them or not.

Merlin1958
12-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Trying to talk myself into liking this cover, but alas I just can't!!!

Patrick
12-20-2011, 12:16 AM
Trying to talk myself into liking this cover, but alas I just can't!!!
I like it better than the covers of either DTII or DTIII. I've never cared for those two.

Still having a hard time with the DT 4.5 font relative to the other covers.

LSOE has the strangest title layout, in my opinion. The author name is fine, but I always felt the title could have been larger or somehow more pronounced. I'm a fan of the artwork and coloring though.

Merlin1958
12-20-2011, 12:20 AM
A tiger? a fucking tiger? never get out of the boat!!!!!

LOL

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-20-2011, 12:25 AM
No,

Pokemon meets LSD meets Calvin and Hobbs.

Merlin1958
12-20-2011, 12:35 AM
No,

Pokemon meets LSD meets Calvin and Hobbs.

LOL Yeah, maybe we're blaming Jae Lee too much. Maybe it's more about the fact that a Tiger appears to be befriending a child and is central to the story is what has got everyone a twitter!!!

Of course it could just be the font as Patrick says!!!

Edit: I was joking, but Patrick has a very good point the "fonts" are way off comparatively.

Brice
12-20-2011, 01:07 AM
For me (and I like all the covers) while all the cover artists went in greatly different directions it boils down to this just having a softness in tone that doesn't really mesh with the feel of any or all of the other covers. I'd have been cool with a "comic" cover (Jae is after all a comic artist). I just wish it had been a bit darker. Jae has done stuff I would have considered much closer to a DT cover than this. In fact even though I like the picture I wouldn't personally like it as a DT comic cover either. I hope I'm conveying my meaning here. :unsure:

Cloysterpete
12-20-2011, 01:49 AM
Yeah that's a terrible cover, everything about it is terrible the font the silly image Kings name mushed up at the bottom. Whose brainwave was it to get a comic book artist to do a cover for a novel?, did no one think to tell him he was designing some art for a novel because all he did was design another comic book cover, did he just pick up something he already had knocked up for the DT comics and he just said ah that'll do fine. I like his work fine in the comics but I seriously doubt he can do any other style for working in non-comic projects.

Is it too late to get something else commissioned?, because it's a serious error going with that cover. But tbh I guess Grant doesn't even care as they don't really have to put much effort into the cover design as all the books get sold out before the cover is even shown whereas Scribner would never be dumb enough to green light something like that (first novel I've ever seen out of millions with a comic book cover) as it would just kill sales.

I'm not even buying the thing and I'm still annoyed as hell that you would give a cover like that to Dark Tower fans who have spent mega bucks with you over the years, talk about a slap in the face!. Just look at some of the brilliant covers you've done in the past then look at what it's come to with the latest book.

Come on Scribner & Hodder show Grant what a real Dark Tower cover looks like!.

Nerak
12-20-2011, 03:46 AM
Steve picked Jae Lee. Knowing what his art looks like. Robert and Tom Canty designed and approved of the cover. King likes the cover.
I, too, think it's comic book looking, but I love the image that it represents and I think that is beautiful.
It is too late to get something else commissioned, so, this is the cover.
We are sorry that you don't like the cover. But is there really a need to bash the company about it. We work with what Mr. King gives us.

Cloysterpete
12-20-2011, 04:01 AM
If it's a universally hated cover (polls at about 70% against so pretty close) then im sorry but the company that produced is going to get a lot of criticism for dumb design choices, even if the company is an excellent publisher in other aspects. Though I can't blame Grant totally if King forces you to use an artist for the cover who clearly isn't upto the job of creating artwork for a novel.

I stand by what I said in regards to Grants other books some stunning designs there, this one though would look totally ridiculous lined up next to the others, does how the book matches with the rest of the series not get discussed?, or is each book just designed on a totally individual basis without consideration of what series it's a part of?. Hopefully the slipcase is a sensible design, not something Jae has got his hands on.

Plus, you have to say you like it, you can't be an employee of the company and come on here and say you hate it can you, you wouldn't be allowed a diplomatic it wasn't my first choice, if you did dislike it you would just have to keep quiet about it on here.

carlosdetweiller
12-20-2011, 05:22 AM
I'm not sure if I'll say this correctly but, to me, the Dark Tower series is over and was over when DT7 was published. In my mind it is books 1 through 7 and I thought Grant did a real nice job of producing a fairly uniform set of books that look great when shelved together. To me these later books, TLSOE and TWTTK, are not part of the series and I really don't care if they match DT 1-7 in physical appearance or not. I don't plan to shelve TWTTK between DT 4 and DT 5 because that is not when it was written. And I might even shelve it in a completely different bookcase. Everyone has their own feelings about it, I guess, but it doesn't bother me a bit that TLSOE and TWTTK don't match the physical appearance of DT 1-7.

Having said that I'm not particularly a Jae Lee fan and am not really thrilled with King's choice of artist but a done bun can't be undone.

WeDealInLead
12-20-2011, 05:32 AM
Just change the font and it'll look better. That should take 5 minutes MAX in photoshop. I'm not even sarcastic when I say that Times New Roman in black would look better. If you want to get adventurous, you could use Impact.

Also, please don't think this is some comic book style. I own close to 500 graphic novels and a couple thousand single issues, and I'll bet my life that NONE look this childish and cartoony. I mean, McKean and Wrightson are comic book artists and just look at their covers. Another point is that someone mentioned that this is like a 'bridge' book or not really like a DT book... so was Little Sisters but that book's artwork still fit with the rest of them. I mean, his son is in the comic book business, I'm sure he could've hooked his old man up with FREE art.

King needs a life coach or something. Some of the shit he's signed off lately makes me question his choices (UTD S/L, alienating collectors outside US, paperback of FD,NS w/ an extra story and now this.)

WeDealInLead
12-20-2011, 05:52 AM
Seriously Karen, if this isn't at the printers yet, it really isn't too late to change the fonts.

nocny
12-20-2011, 06:09 AM
2 new artworks (http://www.stephenking.com/promo/wind_through_the_keyhole/limited_edition/)

AKC
12-20-2011, 06:09 AM
I'm not sure if I'll say this correctly but, to me, the Dark Tower series is over and was over when DT7 was published. In my mind it is books 1 through 7 and I thought Grant did a real nice job of producing a fairly uniform set of books that look great when shelved together. To me these later books, TLSOE and TWTTK, are not part of the series and I really don't care if they match DT 1-7 in physical appearance or not. I don't plan to shelve TWTTK between DT 4 and DT 5 because that is not when it was written. And I might even shelve it in a completely different bookcase. Everyone has their own feelings about it, I guess, but it doesn't bother me a bit that TLSOE and TWTTK don't match the physical appearance of DT 1-7.

Although I didn't realize it UNTIL I read your post, I COMPLETELY AGREE with you.

As a result, I think I will follow your lead regarding displaying the books...

AKC

mistercrowley
12-20-2011, 06:13 AM
Was there no other artwork from Lee to choose from for a cover? I want to see what finished second to the boy and his tiger. Just looking through my Dark Tower comics I can see nine different covers that would have been more appropriate than this. The DT is not for children (rape, murder etc etc) so the cover is misleading as well

Brice
12-20-2011, 06:26 AM
I just think it's the wrong Jae Lee picture for the book cover. I'm not saying Jae was a bad choice. I mean he was picked FOR his style I imagine. I'd have just preferred something darker. If things can't be changed. If it's too late than I'm fine with that. As far as fonts and stuff like that go I don't really care. Grant likely was trying to find something that worked to them with the cover that was picked. Ultimately I care more about what's in the book anyway.

Ben Mears
12-20-2011, 07:23 AM
It might be OK for a mass market edition but for a limited edition it is weak.

biomieg
12-20-2011, 07:51 AM
http://www.stephenking.com/promo/wind_through_the_keyhole/limited_edition/

The interior illustrations are far more interesting. Compared to Jae's black and white work, I think it's the coloring and the choice of fonts from the cover art that irks me the most. And in general, I think the lack of background scenery also makes it less interesting to me.

Randall Flagg
12-20-2011, 08:10 AM
This image colored would have been far better:
http://www.thedarktower.org/custom/images/1324397404-2_full.jpg

biomieg
12-20-2011, 08:18 AM
I completely agree. And then add in some background 'activity' and voilá...

mistercrowley
12-20-2011, 08:19 AM
Agreed. Then again anything without that ridiculous tiger would be better. Whenever I think of it the theme song from The Jungle Book plays in my head

neosatus
12-20-2011, 08:42 AM
pablo did a nice job of showing all 8 covers. Each is very different from the other, but TWTTK just looks wrong-it's a comic cover, not a book cover. I shudder to think what the cover for 11/22/63 would look like if done by Jae Lee.

To be fair, it wasn't Lee's job to design the whole cover, was it?

I never imagined that the artist would actually be in charge of the complete design including the text and all of that. But maybe that assumption is wrong.

Tony
12-20-2011, 08:46 AM
As far as I understand it, artists only produce the artwork then the cover designer does the type. I think we're dealing with two issues here:

1. The suitability (or lack thereof) of the artwork
2. The bad typography

Even if 1. can't be changed because it was King's choice, surely 2. can be looked into?

mistercrowley
12-20-2011, 08:54 AM
I was really excited to buy this but now I'm thinking I may just wait for the Scribner edition. It will have a better cover and be relatively inexpensive when compared to the AE and Deluxe editions from Grant.

neosatus
12-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Just change the font and it'll look better. That should take 5 minutes MAX in photoshop. I'm not even sarcastic when I say that Times New Roman in black would look better. If you want to get adventurous, you could use Impact.

Also, please don't think this is some comic book style. I own close to 500 graphic novels and a couple thousand single issues, and I'll bet my life that NONE look this childish and cartoony. I mean, McKean and Wrightson are comic book artists and just look at their covers. Another point is that someone mentioned that this is like a 'bridge' book or not really like a DT book... so was Little Sisters but that book's artwork still fit with the rest of them. I mean, his son is in the comic book business, I'm sure he could've hooked his old man up with FREE art.

King needs a life coach or something. Some of the shit he's signed off lately makes me question his choices (UTD S/L, alienating collectors outside US, paperback of FD,NS w/ an extra story and now this.)

Agreed. Change the design of the cover. It's not Jae Lee's art that most are criticizing. It's the shitty layout that a 10-year could do a better job of doing. It's weak, it's totally flat. All of the other covers are layered and have depth.
Get a real designer to come up with a better cover.

Hell, my brother is a pro designer and if I had a clean template to give him (the cover with no text) he'd happily come up with a killer design if I asked him too, and for free.

^^Karen, maybe let the fans help Grant Pub. out with this?

The current cover has no style. None. Hopefully that can change. It wouldn't take long at all to change it...

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-20-2011, 08:57 AM
King chose the artist. His own website is now awash with "constant readers" who hate this cover.

So King is well aware he made a bad choice.

Ricky
12-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Trying not to judge the book by its cover here, but if this IS the final cover, I don't think I'll be ordering a copy. Not taking anything away from the story (really looking forward to it) but I wouldn't be satisfied paying $350 for something with a cover that I'd never want to look at. I don't think it'd be as much an issue for a regular trade edition, but for a S/L, I think collectors can afford to be picky.

neosatus
12-20-2011, 09:01 AM
This image colored would have been far better:

Agreed. I hadn't seen that until just now but that would be a far better cover. If there's a tiger in the story, that's cool I guess. But this book is about people--GUNSLINGERS. And that should be the focus. To give some tiger (lol) the cover of the book is ridiculous. That new image with proper design work to compliment it would be soooo much better.

Is there a large scale colored image of that available? I'd love to see what my bro could come up with for it.

Tatts4Life
12-20-2011, 09:09 AM
Question about the pictures that will be in the book, Are they only gonna be in the DE and AE or will they be in the Scribner version too? Also I see that Scribner will have a hard cover version. IF the scribner version has pictures too I hope they release a large paperback version like they did with the last three books. I hope they do.

mae
12-20-2011, 09:22 AM
The image itself is fine. The text and its layout is very unprofessional, though.

Cloysterpete
12-20-2011, 09:22 AM
It's not just the crap layout, or the shitty font the art itself just looks stuuuuuuuuuupid, why is that Tiger like fifty times bigger than the kid? *sigh*

Do you think the design will effect its resale vaue?, I know if I'm gonna be spending big bucks on a S/L I would want a book that I'm happy with all elements of. I expect a lot of people who were on the edge about ordering the AE will now skip this ne and wait for the trade, I bought Little Sisters AE but I can't justify buying something that has no visual appeal to me as after all it'll be the trade I use as a reading copy.

mae
12-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Since all my other Dark Tower books are Grant books and I love them, I'm in for the AE. Just to have it, and I might get the Scribner edition too, to read and file next to the Grant DT books, and have this one together with the Viking Revised Gunslinger, to the side.

mistercrowley
12-20-2011, 09:28 AM
I'm skipping it. Wonder what the trade cover will look like? They should maybe switch covers. The trade can't possibly be worse unless they have the giant tiger rolling around with a ball of string

Ricky
12-20-2011, 09:29 AM
I can't justify buying something that has no visual appeal to me as after all it'll be the trade I use as a reading copy.

This.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Do you think the design will effect its resale vaue?

It might, but I think the value will be effected more by a bad story.

jhanic
12-20-2011, 10:34 AM
I don't think the cover will have a big impact on the sales of the book. You have to remember that Grant has a relatively miniscule portion of the total sales of this book, so the impact will be minimal.

I'll be happy to add both the AE and the Limited to my collection.

John

Randall Flagg
12-20-2011, 10:53 AM
The Jae Lee illustrations are only in the Grant version. NOT in the Scribner.

Garrell
12-20-2011, 11:08 AM
I don't think the cover will have a big impact on the sales of the book. You have to remember that Grant has a relatively miniscule portion of the total sales of this book, so the impact will be minimal.

John
agree

Patrick
12-20-2011, 11:46 AM
Steve picked Jae Lee. Knowing what his art looks like. Robert and Tom Canty designed and approved of the cover. King likes the cover.
I, too, think it's comic book looking, but I love the image that it represents and I think that is beautiful.
We are sorry that you don't like the cover. But is there really a need to bash the company about it. We work with what Mr. King gives us.
Thanks for sharing your perspective, Karen. I'm trusting the image and tone of the cover mesh with the story between the covers.

Seriously Karen, if this isn't at the printers yet, it really isn't too late to change the fonts.
Perhaps the outcry over on the SK boards (that Mr. R.T. alluded to) will result in some modification, but my gut feeling is that what we see is what we get.

John
I agree on all points, John.

Karen, any idea when we might see the traycase and slipcase designs? I'm hoping they are as cool as the one you all did for LSOE.

Robert Fulman
12-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Someone should produce a custom-printed Brodart cover that would overlay some bad-ass graphics on top. They'd make a killing.

mae
12-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Can someone point me to the discussion of the cover art on SK.com?

Sir_Boomme
12-20-2011, 12:06 PM
where's the wind... where's the keyhole?
totally doesn't match.
I also like Jae Lee's art - but for what it is - comic books.

had to give this two thumbs down... it just looks goofy as a DT novel.

now for winnie the pooh and tigger too...
it totally works...

Sir_Boomme
12-20-2011, 01:33 PM
i don't know... different color background + different font
might be ok.... but like it is....it just seems to jungle booky

I played around with the image a bit... just to have something to compare it to....

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/x5%20-misc%20stuff/windterry.jpg

WeDealInLead
12-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Better. I'd make the fonts even bigger.

Garrell
12-20-2011, 01:39 PM
i don't know... different color background + different font
might be ok.... but like it is....it just seems to jungle booky

I played around with the image a bit... just to have something to compare it to....

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/x5%20-misc%20stuff/windterry.jpg

a gray smoked/cloud background with a black floating font...

Sir_Boomme
12-20-2011, 01:56 PM
Yeah, I think bigger font maybe on the "That Dark Tower" line

it appeared the king's name was being downplayed in the original version - perhaps king wanted that?
anyway, that's why I kept his name smaller.

I only had about 5 minutes to do this quickie - still at work - but here's how this version would look with the rest of the books...for comparison

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/x5%20-misc%20stuff/dtcombo.jpg

Randall Flagg
12-20-2011, 02:04 PM
In 5 minutes you have nailed it.

I get the distinct feeling King wanted the cover as it is. Unfortunately when King says jump, DMG is at his mercy.

mistercrowley
12-20-2011, 02:05 PM
It's definitely a improvement. Still wish there was a bit more to it then a boy and his tiger

Sir_Boomme
12-20-2011, 02:21 PM
ok... since I'm playing now...
maybe the smaller font previous version for the limited (to emphasis Jae Lee's artwork more)
and this bigger font version for the trade...

I'm having fun anyways, ha ha

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/x5%20-misc%20stuff/windterry3.jpg

Sir_Boomme
12-20-2011, 02:25 PM
ok RF...
then grant can just make the traycase/slipcases with this on it :cowboy:

Ricky
12-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Terry, Jerome said it: you nailed it. If they have to keep the tiger, I wish yours would be the cover. :(

Merlin1958
12-20-2011, 04:51 PM

I don't think anyone here means to bash DMG, Karen. You folks consistently put our high quality, exemplary editions year in and year out. I have no fear that this publication will be anything different. As you pointed out DMG is not wholly responsible for the art itself.

I'm sure this cover will evemtually grow on us all and I also suspect that the story itself will eventually validate the cover more. There's a lot to be said, IMHO for the surprise factor. It certainly caught a lot of folks off guard compared to what they have come to expect in this series. That's not becesssarily a bad thing and may in fact be the whole point behind Mr. King's choice.

Patrick
12-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Terry, I really prefer the font you used on your first version, but would like to see the title slightly larger or bolder like you did in your second version.

No offense, but your second version's layout looks too busy to me with SK's name up near the top.

Merlin1958
12-20-2011, 05:25 PM

So then we can assume Scribner will utilize a totally different cover. That's very cool to me, regardless of how much I do or don't like the DMG cover. It will at least be unique. So, RF, is Scribner said to be going with the "Stock" cover we have seen before, do your spies tell you?

Randall Flagg
12-20-2011, 05:41 PM

So then we can assume Scribner will utilize a totally different cover. That's very cool to me, regardless of how much I do or don't like the DMG cover. It will at least be unique. So, RF, is Scribner said to be going with the "Stock" cover we have seen before, do your spies tell you?
Since Scribner isn't using Jae Lee as an artist the cover will be different. I am not a liberty to disclose the Scribner cover.

Sir_Boomme
12-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Terry, I really prefer the font you used on your first version, but would like to see the title slightly larger or bolder like you did in your second version.

No offense, but your second version's layout looks too busy to me with SK's name up near the top.

no offense taken (especially since I was just playing around)

Note... in my worthless opinion - I mentioned I thought the first version would be better for the Limited (with the title font increased a bit like you suggest) and the smaller King name.
this one is snatched up by the collectors and will never end up on a wallmart display.

I still think the second version would be better for a trade edition - since King's name needs to be much more prominently displayed for the "common folk" - those people who aren't in the "loop", but rather- buy the book because of the King name rather than the title (which most non - DT.org - ie.non-fanatical-fan folks would not really know about)

Patrick
12-20-2011, 06:38 PM
Good point about the different needs of marketing Limited editions vs. Trade editions, Terry.

Still hoping you post a revised version of your first.

Sir_Boomme
12-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Good point about the different needs of marketing Limited editions vs. Trade editions, Terry.

Still hoping you post a revised version of your first.

here ya go then...
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/x5%20-misc%20stuff/windterry2.jpg

tippy4
12-20-2011, 06:44 PM
ok... since I'm playing now...
maybe the smaller font previous version for the limited (to emphasis Jae Lee's artwork more)
and this bigger font version for the trade...

I'm having fun anyways, ha ha

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/x5%20-misc%20stuff/windterry3.jpg

WAY BETTER.

NOW ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS FIX THE KID'S "ALFALFA" HAIR, AND YOU ARE DONE.

Rahfa
12-20-2011, 06:44 PM

I don't think anyone here means to bash DMG, Karen. You folks consistently put our high quality, exemplary editions year in and year out. I have no fear that this publication will be anything different. As you pointed out DMG is not wholly responsible for the art itself.

I'm sure this cover will evemtually grow on us all and I also suspect that the story itself will eventually validate the cover more. There's a lot to be said, IMHO for the surprise factor. It certainly caught a lot of folks off guard compared to what they have come to expect in this series. That's not becesssarily a bad thing and may in fact be the whole point behind Mr. King's choice.

Agreed....definitley no DMG bashing here...but that doesn't mean I like the cover. But, so what? I'm buying it, will be happy with it, so it does't matter.

Frankly, the W+G cover is neat NOW, but in 1996 or whenever would we have felt the same if we were commenting on the boards THEN?

I think DT I, II and III are all classic covers...but even VI is sort of odd.

Patrick
12-20-2011, 06:47 PM
...Still hoping you post a revised version of your first.

here ya go then...
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/x5%20-misc%20stuff/windterry2.jpg

I love it.

Rick, you are too funny.

Rahfa, they're classic, perhaps even iconic to SK collectors, but I still don't care much for the covers of DTII and DTIII.

Merlin1958
12-20-2011, 06:49 PM

Agreed....definitley no DMG bashing here...but that doesn't mean I like the cover. But, so what? I'm buying it, will be happy with it, so it does't matter.

Frankly, the W+G cover is neat NOW, but in 1996 or whenever would we have felt the same if we were commenting on the boards THEN?

Agreed!!!!

Randall Flagg
12-20-2011, 06:50 PM
The S/L with Susannah's face or the trade with the lightning?
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/medium/SOS_trade_face.jpg

Garrell
12-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Trade looks better on DT VI

tippy4
12-20-2011, 06:59 PM
The S/L with Susannah's face or the trade with the lightning?

He is talking about the AE with Susannah's face and the rose coming out of her neck.

Wuducynn
12-20-2011, 07:47 PM
At first when I saw it I liked it and the more I saw it the less I liked it. It's now a definite "No" for me.

Cook
12-20-2011, 08:10 PM
The jury is definitely still out on this one.
I'm really not sure yet, guess it all gets down to the day it's in my hands.
I've always liked change, and this one is different no doubt.

Cloysterpete
12-21-2011, 12:51 AM
Can someone point me to the discussion of the cover art on SK.com?

I would appreciate it, spent quarter of an hour looking for it on that messy forum but couldn't find it in the WTTK board or any of the fifteen general boards they have on there.

Nerak
12-21-2011, 03:57 AM
sorry for yellin at y'all.

We can only work with what we got and this book has been a bit of a sore spot.

Once you read the story, you will know all about said tiger and why the sky is green and not red.

You will just have to trust me and wait.

Sir_Boomme
12-21-2011, 05:51 AM
of course I realize the jackets are a done deal...
so - this is just another what might have worked scenerio.
of course - not having read the book.... it's hypothetical on my end and just my personal preferred esthetical taste that not based on the story.

I have a difficult time
correlating the Dark in the dark tower with the bright colors in the jacket (and the font that goes with them)

perhaps after I read the book like Karen says it'll make more sense....
that said,,, I spent all of 2-3minutes playing around on this green version - so don't be to harsh on the quality of airbrushing- I didn't really put a lot of effort in it - just wanted to see what a darker green sky might have looked like

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj13/sir_boomme/x5%20-misc%20stuff/windterry2green.jpg

Jon
12-21-2011, 06:15 AM
I voted no...but don't judge a book by it's cover.

mikeC
12-21-2011, 07:27 AM
The cover is ok, but I still think small publishers should leave off the title on the cover and just keep it on the spline.

Brian James Freeman
12-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Hey gang, have we already seen this artwork before? I just noticed it over on SK's site:

http://cemeterydance.com/images/misc/wind_through_the_keyhole_full.jpg

http://www.stephenking.com/promo/wind_through_the_keyhole/promo_site/

Bev Vincent
12-22-2011, 11:50 AM
No -- that's new! We saw a version that had just the jungle without the other details.

Brian James Freeman
12-22-2011, 11:55 AM
No -- that's new! We saw a version that had just the jungle without the other details.

That's what I was thinking, but I couldn't remember. The promo page on the website has the "full wrap" (front and back) artwork displayed, too!

Brian

Bev Vincent
12-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Yeah, check out the "very large" version for all the detail it contains. Awesome.

johnsmith87
12-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Very beautiful Scribner cover. Will be pleased to own it. Done by the same guy who did Under the Dome, no?

Ricky
12-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Wow! I didn't like it before, but it really looks great now with all the cool details. I think it's the lettering I wasn't too fond of. Great cover!

divemaster
12-22-2011, 12:44 PM
No that is an awesome cover!

mae
12-22-2011, 01:02 PM
AMAZING! Preordering a Scribner edition now.

Nerak
12-22-2011, 01:10 PM
gee, and it's basically the same thought process......

Roog
12-22-2011, 01:17 PM
I ordered the Grant edition because it is simply a must-have but the Scribner artwork -does- beat the Grant artwork...

mae
12-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Very interesting to see the preliminary and the final Scribner covers side by side:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f3/The_Wind_Through_the_Keyhole_Cover.jpg/250px-The_Wind_Through_the_Keyhole_Cover.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f8/The_Wind_Through_the_Keyhole_Cover_Final.jpg/250px-The_Wind_Through_the_Keyhole_Cover_Final.jpg

biomieg
12-22-2011, 02:08 PM
I ordered the Grant edition because it is simply a must-have but the Scribner artwork -does- beat the Grant artwork...

Roog! Great to see you here!

Tatts4Life
12-22-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm ordering the Grant version because I love the pictures I've seen so far. But I'll probably also pick up the kindle version to read on the go.

Merlin1958
12-22-2011, 05:52 PM
Got the DMG AE ordered, the Scribner U.S. and the U.K. on pre-order. I'm good to go!!!!

:belial:

Initially, I was a bit put off on the DMG cover, but somehow the Tiger on the trade cover is making me re-consider. I'm sure the DMG slipcase will also help and the Jae Lee art is really growing on me. I like it a lot that it will be totally different from the Trade Edition!!! I have to admit, at first I was buying this b/c it was a DT novel and I was not really jazzed to read it. Now, that freaking Tiger has got me frothing!!!! LOL

Ari_Racing
12-22-2011, 06:48 PM
As far as I remember, Under The Dome was done by a team, not just a person. The style and process looks the same, so I guess they used the same team.

Amazing cover. Left me breathless.

jhanic
12-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Merlin, are you sure you're ordering the UK Wind Through the Keyhole? I looked at the Amazon.co.uk page and am not sure it's not the US version.

John

Merlin1958
12-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Merlin, are you sure you're ordering the UK Wind Through the Keyhole? I looked at the Amazon.co.uk page and am not sure it's not the US version.

John

I'll probably re-check before delivery, but I have ordered the last 2 or 3 King editions this way and always received the UK edition in the end. You got me checking though!!!

Wuducynn
12-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Very interesting to see the preliminary and the final Scribner covers side by side:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f3/The_Wind_Through_the_Keyhole_Cover.jpg/250px-The_Wind_Through_the_Keyhole_Cover.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f8/The_Wind_Through_the_Keyhole_Cover_Final.jpg/250px-The_Wind_Through_the_Keyhole_Cover_Final.jpg

Very nice. Much better than the Grant cover art.

jhanic
12-22-2011, 07:39 PM
I just checked the Hodder website and the picture seems to be almost the same. (The website has the lower right corner of the cover "folded" back with something printed in it, but I can't read it.)

http://www.hodder.co.uk/books/work.aspx?WorkID=198237

John

Merlin1958
12-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Hmmmm, damn John, you got me worried now!!! You think I should pre-order it through Hodder and screw the Amazon.uk? You shouldn't do this kind of thing to an old guy, you bastard!!! LOL J/K

Brainslinger
12-23-2011, 05:58 AM
The British cover looks much more basic to me. A very nice design, mind, and at half the price of the others it's probably the one I'd go for... but none of the luscious artwork and wildlife of that other cover.

I am partial to a great big tiger, although I'll probably stick with turkey for Christmas. (Boom! Tsh!)

I was looking at the other animals in that wraparound cover too. Apart from a bunch of alligators/crocodiles (they look more like the latter to me, but as this is an American book, they're probably 'gators) there's another strange dragonish looking critter in the water...

nocny
12-23-2011, 12:11 PM
British cover is not real cover. It's a filler.

Roog
12-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Actually, is there a artwork difference between the Deluxe Edition and the Artist Edition?

herbertwest
01-16-2012, 07:56 AM
Hello,

the UK cover for THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE has been released, and there is a GREAT contest accompanying it !

https://fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/372998_127516977355305_1379107958_n.jpg

Could You Find Your Face on Stephen King's New Book?

To celebrate the publication of The Wind through the Keyhole, the hotly anticipated new episode in Stephen King’s fantasy series The Dark Tower, we’re inviting you to help make literary history; lucky entrants will have their faces featured on the back of the jacket artwork.

Using mosaic design technologies, thousands of readers’ images will be incorporated in the illustration on the back cover of The Wind through the Keyhole.

One winner will also be selected at random to receive the entire STEPHEN KING backlist published by Hodder in the UK.

For your chance to be a part of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, all you have to do is upload your photo via this facebook app https://www.facebook.com/stephenkingbooks. We can’t guarantee that everyone’s photo will make it on – but we’ll contact you when the jacket is ready so you can see if your face is featured, and if you’ve been lucky, you can share your pixels of fame with friends and family!

The closing date for entries is 23rd January 2012. Terms and conditions apply, click here (http://www.facebook.com/stephenkingbooks?sk=app_209395642487165) for more details.

The Wind through the Keyhole is published in April 2012

noal
01-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Not bad/Slightly bland?
I can't decide!