PDA

View Full Version : Living in the wastelands (rural USA). For real, surreal.

FatherofRoland
11-23-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm currently to Wastelands on my 2nd time around reading this series. I am struck again by the descriptions of the "world has moved on" and all the old modern type things, showing a once thriving, advancing society that now only exists in distant memories of very old people and in ancient relics that don't work or are running on their last bits of "nuclear" power.

I am from north central South Dakota and grew up in a very rural area. A farm next to a town of 20-30 people and went to school 30 miles away in a town of 200 people. The area I lived in peaked around 1940-1970 and exists because of the old RR's that went through and farming. The RRs left a long time ago and now the farms are disappearing as other farms get larger. There are often relics of old thrashing machines and old blue grass strippers. There are old decaying farm-houses from 50-60 yrs ago or just a small dying tree patch with some fence posts marking an old farm from the 1920s or earlier.

I have to listen to my parents or grand-parents talk about how there used to be get-togethers, carnivals, dances, or other social events. Now all that's left is a bar that is in more decay than the one in The Gunslinger (can't think of the name right now).

In other words, those descriptions of "the world moving on" really strike me to a personal note because that is very true where I grew up. I realize that everywhere, even cities have changes. But there is usually new things popping up.

Just curious if anyone else out there knows what I'm talking about or has similar experiences. I'm not talking about people in a "small town" 50 miles outside a major city. I'm talking about driving 70miles to a town of 30,000 or driving 4 hrs to a city of 100,000.

flaggwalkstheline
11-23-2009, 10:59 AM
dude I live in New Mexico, outside of the cities (none of which have particularly high populations) the place is desolation row

YouTube- Deming New Mexico Dust Storm

Letti
11-24-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm currently to Wastelands on my 2nd time around reading this series. I am struck again by the descriptions of the "world has moved on" and all the old modern type things, showing a once thriving, advancing society that now only exists in distant memories of very old people and in ancient relics that don't work or are running on their last bits of "nuclear" power.

I am from north central South Dakota and grew up in a very rural area. A farm next to a town of 20-30 people and went to school 30 miles away in a town of 200 people. The area I lived in peaked around 1940-1970 and exists because of the old RR's that went through and farming. The RRs left a long time ago and now the farms are disappearing as other farms get larger. There are often relics of old thrashing machines and old blue grass strippers. There are old decaying farm-houses from 50-60 yrs ago or just a small dying tree patch with some fence posts marking an old farm from the 1920s or earlier.

I have to listen to my parents or grand-parents talk about how there used to be get-togethers, carnivals, dances, or other social events. Now all that's left is a bar that is in more decay than the one in The Gunslinger (can't think of the name right now).

In other words, those descriptions of "the world moving on" really strike me to a personal note because that is very true where I grew up. I realize that everywhere, even cities have changes. But there is usually new things popping up.

Just curious if anyone else out there knows what I'm talking about or has similar experiences. I'm not talking about people in a "small town" 50 miles outside a major city. I'm talking about driving 70miles to a town of 30,000 or driving 4 hrs to a city of 100,000.

I wouldn't mind spending some years there.
Can't you show us some pics?

Really nice video flaggwalkstheline.
That road looks never-ending.

lead dealer
11-24-2009, 06:45 PM
You want a look at what happens when a city moves on, just look up "100 abandoned homes in Detroit". Just like the people up and left 20 years ago, and never looked over their shoulders......

they moved on, and moved out.

flaggwalkstheline
11-24-2009, 09:22 PM
this place
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania
sounds like a place thats moved on

Brainslinger
11-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Its population has dwindled from over 1,000 residents in 1981 to 12 in 2005[1] and 9 in 2007,[2] as a result of a mine fire burning beneath the borough since 1962

This reminds me of another book written by King. The dwindling population. And a fire... (although this one wasn't underground).