PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Sleep : The Shining 2

Pages : [1] 2 3

nocny
11-20-2009, 01:38 PM
Stephen King thinks about writing sequel to The Shining.
It would be about 40 yeas old Danny Torrance who helps dying people using his shine...
Working title could be Dr Sleep.

gsvec
11-20-2009, 01:50 PM
He mentioned in St. Paul that writing it has passed it's "use by" date, so I'm thinking we shouldn't hold our collective breath. :unsure:

Brainslinger
11-20-2009, 01:53 PM
This is the first time I heard about this. An interesting idea even if it's never written.

mae
11-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Yup, he mentioned this again on The Hour (link to video at Lilja's). I doubt he'll write this. I think it would be a bad idea (but I'd still read it).

Sam
11-20-2009, 02:43 PM
I tend to agree with King that the story has passed it's expiration date. It would be nice to revisit Danny, but better to visit him in passing during another tale, I think, much like we did when we learned of Thad Beaumont's fate in Bag of Bones.

Merlin1958
11-21-2009, 01:20 PM
For what it worth, I've often lamented the fact that Danny and Charlie didn't make cameo's (so to speak) in DT7. What a good idea that would have been, no? Great segway into a shining sequel too maybe, but alas it is not to be.

herbertwest
11-21-2009, 02:45 PM
I tend to think that it will comes up to the light of the day, as he mentions this to every single video interview (as well as amateur cam from events)...

nocny : I didnt hear all those details that you give though... where did you read/ hear that?

nocny
11-21-2009, 03:38 PM
on Lilja's Library there is a report from Toronto meeting where King said all that.

Merlin1958
11-21-2009, 05:33 PM
on Lilja's Library there is a report from Toronto meeting where King said all that.

The Danny/Charlie in DT stuff?

nocny
11-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Sorry? :unsure:

mae
11-24-2009, 09:06 AM
A bit more information from the Toronto event, where King again mentioned Dr. Sleep:

http://books.torontoist.com/2009/11/stephen-king-planning-possible-sequel-to-the-shining/

I wonder if he couldn't turn this into a DT-related novel.

Brainslinger
11-24-2009, 12:10 PM
Interesting. I got the impression from other links that he thought the time for that novel was past. I'm glad he appears to have changed his mind.

jayson
11-24-2009, 12:29 PM
let me see if i have this right...

some of you folks actually think this would be a good thing?

this is where we are now with stephen king, hoping he cobbles together some story about grown up versions of his characters?

black house was one thing, but must he go back and do this with other characters?

he's that much at a loss for ideas?

at least he can't do it with the boy from cujo. :evil:

mae
11-24-2009, 02:08 PM
No, I personally don't think it's a very good idea, and I highly doubt this will ever get written. But if he should write it and publish it, I will gladly read it.

Brice
11-24-2009, 05:13 PM

this is where we are now with stephen king, hoping he cobbles together some story about grown up versions of his characters?

black house was one thing, but must he go back and do this with other characters?

he's that much at a loss for ideas?

at least he can't do it with the boy from cujo. :evil:

sometimes they come back :lol:

jhanic
11-24-2009, 05:26 PM
Just remember what King did with Salem Lots' Father Callahan. Bringing a character back isn't always a bad thing.

John

jayson
11-24-2009, 06:06 PM
Just remember what King did with Salem Lots' Father Callahan. Bringing a character back isn't always a bad thing.

John

i agree, though this hardly seems like anything even close to the same thing.

Brainslinger
11-24-2009, 06:16 PM

John

i agree, though this hardly seems like anything even close to the same thing.

But I do get the impression that the story will be very different. (Although obviously it's too early to tell yet.) So, same character* doesn't mean it's just going to be a rehash of the same story. Any more than Black House is a rehash of The Talisman. From the brief snippets we've read, it already appears as if Danny is using his power in a very different way.

It's a wonder the low men never picked him up...

*And actually it isn't really the same character as this guy is 40 years old!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-24-2009, 11:46 PM
Has King let the cat out of the bag early? Is this the next novel?

Last night at Toronto’s packed Canon Theatre, fans of Stephen King were treated to a 15-minute reading from the author’s new novel, Under the Dome, and nearly an hour’s worth of typically funny anecdotes and keen observations during an on-stage interview with director David Cronenberg. Then King dropped a fan bombshell on the crowd by casually describing a novel idea he began working on last summer. Seems King was wondering whatever happened to Danny Torrance of The Shining, who when readers last saw him was recovering from his ordeal at the Overlook Hotel at a resort in Maine with fellow survivors Wendy Torrance and chef Dick Halloran (who dies in the Kubrick film version). King remarked that though he ended his 1977 novel on a positive note, the Overlook was bound to have left young Danny with a lifetime’s worth of emotional scars. What Danny made of those traumatic experiences, and with the psychic powers that saved him from his father at the Overlook, is a question that King believes might make a damn fine sequel.

So what would a sequel to one of King’s most beloved novels look like? In King’s still tentative plan for the novel, Danny is now 40 years old and living in upstate New York, where he works as the equivalent of an orderly at a hospice for the terminally ill. Danny’s real job is to visit with patients who are just about to pass on to the other side, and to help them make that journey with the aid of his mysterious powers. Danny also has a sideline in betting on the horses, a trick he learned from his buddy Dick Hallorann.

The title for King’s proposed sequel? Doctor Sleep.

Perhaps sensing that he’d let the cat out of the plot bag a little early, King then told Cronenberg and the audience that he wasn’t completely committed to the new novel, going so far as to say, “Maybe if I keep talking about it I won’t have to write it.”

http://books.torontoist.com/2009/11/stephen-king-planning-possible-sequel-to-the-shining/

carlosdetweiller
11-25-2009, 04:43 AM
Good stuff! Thanks for posting that.

gsvec
11-25-2009, 07:25 AM
In Sarasota, he mentioned that the idea was "past it's use-by date" and the book probably wouldn't be written, but it makes me wonder since he keeps bringing it up. We shall see!

And btw, there are other threads about this somewhere . . .

jhanic
11-25-2009, 07:30 AM
Here's one:

http://thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=9650

John

Randall Flagg
11-25-2009, 07:38 AM
We probably should merge this thread into the earlier Shining thread in The Oracle.:rose:

mae
11-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Yeah, King did say the time has probably passed on this novel. And to me it sort of sounds like The Green Mile in a way. Not that that's bad; it's one of my favorites. But I doubt there's more to it than talk at this point.

Ben Mears
11-25-2009, 09:50 AM
The fact that he keeps talking about it is encouraging.
Has there been any further mention of releasing the unpublished story he wrote in 1970?

Hannah
11-25-2009, 10:08 AM
I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing. I like revisiting old, familiar characters and seeing what they've been up to. :D

Merlin1958
11-25-2009, 12:47 PM
You know, for what its worth, I've seen posts that say he will ruin the original story if he does this sequel. I would have to disagree. You can read "Talisman" and never read "Black House" (I don't reccomend it but you could), You can read 'Insomnia" and never read DT, again the same) Its not as if he is really proposing a true sequel, which in my mind would mean picking up the story in some reasonable timeframe from the original. Know what I mean? I think he just intends to "Revisit" the chararcter and it will probably be, more or less, a stand alone effort evaluated on its own merits or not.

Conversely, You can't (or shouldn't) read DTI w/o reading DTII etc. That story is not finished. Same goes for LOTR, Read Fellowship and not the other two? But most other SK novels are complete stories unto themselves. This would just be another story in the ongoing life. Yes?

Just my 3 Beans on the subject.

nocny
11-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Its not as if he is really proposing a true sequel, which in my mind would mean picking up the story in some reasonable timeframe from the original. Know what I mean? I think he just intends to "Revisit" the chararcter and it will probably be, more or less, a stand alone effort evaluated on its own merits or not.

exactly, it's just like Callahan or Ted in The Dark Tower, it would just be totaly new book with not even the same character as Danny is 40 years older so totaly new man. i hope for some tiny connection to Shining though.

Merlin1958
11-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Oh I'm sure, given SK's style, that there will be a few references to the incident at the Overlook, if not a few less than alive characters who make a comeback

:cool:

Brainslinger
11-28-2009, 06:48 PM
Stephen King's response from Liljas's site. (http://www.liljas-library.com/section.php?id=74)

jhanic
11-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Ms Mod, at King's request, has set up a poll on the SKMB asking whether fans would want a new Mid-world book or Dr. Sleep:

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15754

I voted for Dr. Sleep.

John

Brainslinger
11-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Hmm! Interesting description of the Dark Tower book! Looks like Dr. Sleep is winning at the moment.

I'd like both... but I think I'm leaning towards The Dark Tower. Seems King will be taking the poll into account, but I hope it's simply a selection of which to write first.

pathoftheturtle
12-10-2009, 07:01 AM

...Forget that: What I can't believe is that no one has expressed any shock over the idea that Stephen King wants to do a novel about mercy killing! :o I'm sure that this subject in his hands would prove quite interesting, but it would certainly be controversial. And before you folken start saying that that is not exactly the idea, let me emphasize that assisted suicide is at the least an obvious association. It's sure to come up. Is that a good thing?

Gris
12-10-2009, 07:22 AM
Stephen mentioned this at the NY Times Center event and got a huge ovation. He then went on to say that he wondered what it would be like it Danny and Charlie hooked up and had kids.

As far as Danny and Charlie being worked into the Dark Tower storyline, I think it would be easily done.

Both would have easily qualified at superbly powerful breakers. Not that either would have been main characters, but I can't believe that the Crimson King was unable to capture either one of them from any level of the tower for use breaking the beams.

flaggwalkstheline
12-10-2009, 09:00 AM
As far as Danny and Charlie being worked into the Dark Tower storyline, I think it would be easily done.

Both would have easily qualified at superbly powerful breakers. Not that either would have been main characters, but I can't believe that the Crimson King was unable to capture either one of them from any level of the tower for use breaking the beams.

Methinks the shop that the shop is in league with sombra/North central positronics/the Low Men
:cool:

mdarkpoet
12-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Hmmm sounds like a good idea but you know what I'd really like to see? A sequel on The Stand :evil:

boehmke
12-11-2009, 12:45 AM
I think if the book were written it should involve the Little Doctors from Insomnia.

mdarkpoet
12-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Ooooo boehmke that'd be actually really awesome, Clotho, Atropos, and Lachesis :thumbsup:

ErinPatricia
12-11-2009, 11:25 AM
sounds like the worst idea ever...but id still read it

http://www.mun.ca/sgs/blog/wp-content/uploads/the-comic-book-guy-pondering.gif

stone, rose, unfound door
12-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Stephen mentioned this at the NY Times Center event and got a huge ovation. He then went on to say that he wondered what it would be like it Danny and Charlie hooked up and had kids.

Maybe he did. King not stating it in the story doesn't mean it didn't happen.
I hope it doesn't feel like a sequel to the Shining. Using an old character to make a new story is ok for me and I'd really love to see his point about assisted suicide (or whatever you call it). This could be an interesting story, although I voted for the DT book.

DanishCollector
12-12-2009, 02:20 PM
The Shining and Firestarter had nothing to do with the Dark Tower books. Just because Danny and Charlie has supernatural powers doesn't make them Breakers. JNot all of King's works has anything to with DT. Where does Cujo fit in? Where does Carrie fit in? And so on...

Jack Lee
12-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Cujo connects to It. Carrie connects to DT VII.

Brainslinger
12-12-2009, 07:17 PM
I like to think The Green Mile connects to the Dark Tower books too.

Major spoilers for The Green Mile. Minor spoilers for The Dark Tower (V and VII) and Low Men in Yellow Coats too.

I remember Ted Brautigan stating in Low Men in Yellow Coats that two other people escaped from prison with him. He doesn't mention any other people in The Dark Tower which I initially saw as a contradiction, maybe forgetfulness on King's part. (It seems unlikely it would be Dinky and Sheemy as I got the impression they remained behind when he left, although we don't know that for certain.) But then it occurred to me that if other people had escaped with Ted, and they were still out there, would he tell Roland? They had just met after all, and besides, from Ted's point of view, they could fail and be captured by the minions of the king, and tortured for information or subjected to mind readers.

It's purely conjecture on my part though. I'm thinking particularly of John Coffey's sudden appearance out of nowhere and his powers. What if Sheemie couldn't get an exact inprint from Coffey's mind and he sent him to another world in the 1930s close by? I.e. not Coffey's world of origin but close enough. Or not, as it turned out for poor John Coffey. Maybe Danny or Charlie was the other person. Then again maybe not considering those Lost Pet posters Callahan encountered aimed at a lady. Although we don't know she was an escapee.

I'm not sure that was King's intention. It's probably just my fan fiction, but I like the idea.

Jack Lee
12-13-2009, 06:03 AM
Firestarter connects to Tommyknockers which connects to The Dead Zone. The Shining shares a character with It.

herbertwest
12-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Cujo connects to It. Carrie connects to DT VII.

I dont remember how Carrie connects to DT7. Can you please remind me?

mae
12-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Well, everything connects to DT, doesn't it, since Stephen King the author is part of it?

pathoftheturtle
12-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Well, everything connects to DT, doesn't it, since Stephen King the author is part of it?

In The Dead Zone, there's a mention of Carrie as a work of fiction.

It's all complicated, but my opinion is that everything, everyhere can be said to have something to do with TDT.

JameseyLefebure
12-14-2009, 03:03 PM
I actually like the sound of Doctor Sleep - I like it when Stephen write's a book that deals with more serious issue's (which is why I love Rose Madder and Duma Key) so it would be interesting to see his take on something like this :)

And I kinda agree with pathoftheturle - I like to think that everything in S.K's universe deals with the Dark Tower in some way or another - just the rampant geek in me!!! :fairy:

pathoftheturtle
12-14-2009, 03:19 PM
Glad to hear that you agree, sai. I wonder, tho, do you also think, as I do, that everything in both SK's universe and his multiverse can be said to deal with it in some way? (You see, I myself have a rampant nerd in me who comes up with weird questions like that one.)

Jack Lee
12-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Dinky makes reference to Carrie when complaining about how few people know what it feels like to be "Carrie at the prom".

JameseyLefebure
12-15-2009, 01:33 AM
Glad to hear that you agree, sai. I wonder, tho, do you also think, as I do, that everything in both SK's universe and his multiverse can be said to deal with it in some way? (You see, I myself have a rampant nerd in me who comes up with weird questions like that one.)

My inner nerd says yes :) I think the Dark Tower can have an influence on everything in the SKverse - after all - it's just a different level of the tower ;)

Jamesey
xxxx

Ben Mears
12-15-2009, 05:32 AM
I don't think it would necessarily be a bad thing. I like revisiting old, familiar characters and seeing what they've been up to. :D

I agree. Dan Simmons did a nice job of updating Summer of Night in A Winter Haunting and Dr. Sleep would be a similar situation. There is a difference between writing a sequel (The Shining 2) and a new story (Dr. Sleep) involving a character from a previous novel.

JameseyLefebure
12-15-2009, 02:22 PM

I agree. Dan Simmons did a nice job of updating Summer of Night in A Winter Haunting and Dr. Sleep would be a similar situation. There is a difference between writing a sequel (The Shining 2) and a new story (Dr. Sleep) involving a character from a previous novel.

I agree with you there Ben - look at The Talisman and Black House as well - admittedly it was more of a sequel, but it was also like a brand new character because Jack had aged and was for all intent's and purposes a new character! :)

Jamesey
xxx

NoLabelBG
12-19-2009, 07:55 PM
I prefer the new Dark Tower book, but I loved "The Shining" and I think that King will make a nice new story with some old characters! And it's not like Stephen woke up one morning and thought "Hey, I have nothing to do, so I'll make a sequel to The Shining!". I think, that the idea and the story was in his head for a long time, and after he figured out some of the most important things, he decided that it will be e good story to tell!
Looking forward to see it done!

BillyxRansom
12-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Didn't happen to see a thread about this, or anything like it (I checked, I promise--and unless my neglecting to double check leaves me looking like a moving target for hazing and berating, this has not been posted) but I read an interview with King where he talks about having thought about what happened to Danny after the end of the book.

Here ya go:

Merlin1958
12-24-2009, 01:58 PM
The Thread is titled "Dr. Sleep" which is the proposed working title of the "Shining" sequel.

Brice
12-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Yes, there is a thread as Merlin pointed out. A merge is coming.

Blaine Is A Pain
12-31-2009, 07:08 AM
I never knew about this. I hate it when creators tease us with this stuff though. It just makes me want to read it now. LOL! I am a Star Wars toy collector to (yeah throw in your insults now!). I hate it when the toy companies show pictures of a toy or an action figure and then announce later they are not going to make it afterall. It drives me nuts! After reading the links it seems like Mr King keeps dropping hints about this. It is obviously on his mind a lot to keep bringing it up. I say just go for it then. If people don't like it them fine. To me it sounds interesting enough for me to want to pick it up. Then again I want him to finish his Dark Tower book first and foremost:thumbsup:

mae
09-24-2011, 10:41 AM
http://www.liljas-library.com/article.php?id=2545

I got this very interesting news from The Mason Award Event that took place last night. It appears King is almost finished writing a sequel to The Shining, Dr. Sleep. It will be about Danny Torrence as an adult and some sort of vampire like people called "The Tribe" that drive around in mobile homes and feed on psychic energy.

King read a chapter from it at the event and the nice part of it is that there is a clip of it on YouTube!

King also signed books after the event for almost 3 hours. He signed any book that people brought but only 1 book each.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd2lf88w-8g

DanishCollector
09-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Yay, me like:) Funny though - The Tribe is also the name of the bikers in Throttle.

Merlin1958
09-24-2011, 03:44 PM
That was great, Pablo!!!!

Thanks a heap!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

mae
09-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Lilja has two more videos from the event where King talks about his writing and the two upcoming novels, 11/22/63 and Doctor Sleep.

Merlin1958
09-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Lilja has two more videos from the event where King talks about his writing and the two upcoming novels, 11/22/63 and Doctor Sleep.

Way to go Lilja!!!!!

<------ Heads on over to check it out!!!!

mae
09-26-2011, 07:33 AM
Another vid, in HD, courtesy of Randall Flagg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2CnVM3MjbQ

Ari_Racing
09-26-2011, 08:06 AM
From Marsha at sk.com

I've posted a News Story about this including the info that GMU had already agreed to share their taping of the event with us and as soon as we have their file we'll post it in the Multimedia section so you should have an audio/video to watch and listen to his reading for yourselves.

Randall Flagg
09-26-2011, 12:47 PM
King reads from Dr. Sleep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPDU-5TrOUs

Ari_Racing
09-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Really nice! :)

Thanks for posting! And please keep the stories comin'!

mikeC
09-28-2011, 07:19 AM
The synopsis to this book sounds similar to Carrion Comfort.

Roland of Gilead 33
09-28-2011, 04:03 PM
i just saw this today. i can't wait until it comes out. ya know he's right, i've always wondered what the hell happend to ole "Danny" to be honest,

he as you all know talks about what happpend to this character or that character in this book or that one. even if it's just a passing reference
mind you. but he's never mentioned at least to my knowlege "Danny Torrence" or his mom. so i think this will be a fun read. & i can't wait to read it. i hope it comes out next year. along with the NEW "DT" novel

Faddah Callahan
09-28-2011, 10:32 PM
I am...worried. Somehow. Mr. King has taught me to be worried about updated or continuing his old books.

Coincidentally, the character of Danny Torrence, I must admit, does not interest me too much.

However, curiously enough, I just gave the film version of "The Shining" another shot, and it was...better than I recalled. And that literally happened last night. And I heard about this today when someone at work compared someone else at work to one of the girls from "The Shining." Funny how that all worked together.

DanishCollector
09-29-2011, 01:15 AM
I'm confident that Dr. Sleep will be its very own novel, and it's not a sequel per se. Danny is adult now and different and the plot is not like The Shining. Of course, there'll be flashbacks and references to the events at The Overlook, but I'll take it them as neat memories and small revisits.

Bev Vincent
09-29-2011, 02:04 AM
I think this will be a "sequel" in the same sense that DT5 was a sequel to Salem's Lot.

Robert Fulman
09-29-2011, 05:37 AM
Stephen King is probably the only author who could ask in late 2009, "Do you want a new Dark Tower book, or a sequel to The Shining?" and then say, "Screw it, I'm going to publish them both in 2012, but only after I publish an 800 page book on a time traveler out to save JFK."

mae
09-29-2011, 07:21 AM
Somehow I doubt we'll see Dr. Sleep in 2012. Seems too early, if it's at first draft now. But who knows, maybe it'll get the annual early November King-slot after all :)

Bev Vincent
09-29-2011, 08:28 AM
Yeah, I wonder if that's why they moved Wind Through the Keyhole up a month -- to give it a window before a fall 2012 book.

Roland of Gilead 33
09-29-2011, 11:29 AM
i didn't know they moved up the date. well "Piers Anthony" for his "Xanth" books writes say the #35 book now meanwhile the 33rd book is just coming out. & one is scheduled for next year & it's done. so in short he writes them at least 2 years in advance. so the one that is going to come out this year i dunno what number it's up to now. was prolly written in (2009) so maybe

king is doing that? or i may be wrong & next year well next november i mean. we get 'Dr. Sleep" if so than my guess is that in (2013) if this is the case. than we will prolly get another collection book from him. that's my guess anyways, or he puts the collection out 1st & in (2013) at some point 'Dr. Sleep" comes out. i am of course going by the way he's been doing in the last few years mind you.

nocny
09-29-2011, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I wonder if that's why they moved Wind Through the Keyhole up a month -- to give it a window before a fall 2012 book.

that was my first thought when I saw him reading Dr. Sleep.

mae
09-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Too soon for another collection. At least a couple more years.

The Great Buchinsky
09-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Agree too soon for another collection. I would also wager something is released between Wind and Dr. Sleep. SK did mention at Mason something about attempting a book titled Hatchet Head. Does anyone know if he attempted this a while back or recently??

Randall Flagg
09-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Agree too soon for another collection. I would also wager something is released between Wind and Dr. Sleep. SK did mention at Mason something about attempting a book titled Hatchet Head. Does anyone know if he attempted this a while back or recently??
King did mention it by name as one of the ~40 stories he has started, but not finished/and or abandoned.

Roland of Gilead 33
09-29-2011, 07:39 PM
i wonder how many there actually are? i know wikpedia lists some of them. but i doubt it's all of them. i just love when he goes back to his old stuff, well his material that he started & never finished & finishes it. even if it gets rewritten it still gets published! ya know?

Roland of Gilead 33
09-29-2011, 07:40 PM
also i was just guessing but ya are prolly right it prolly is too soon for another collection

DanishCollector
09-30-2011, 04:09 AM
I asked about Hatched Head on the message board and the moderator didn't know about the novel before King mentioned it at the Mason event. I'm fairly sure it's either from the mid-90s or perhaps fairly recently. Just speculation. King did say about 40 novels/stories that were unpublished, so some are novels, some are stories. There's also a few screenplays that were never produced. And then we have things that are complete but never published.

you ever seen a ghost?
09-30-2011, 06:33 AM
did he give the synopsis of Hatched Head? what did he say about it?

-justin

Bev Vincent
09-30-2011, 06:42 AM
"It's a half-finished novel that I couldn't figure out, so I stopped," he said. He said it was about a man who was executed but still manages to write letters to a teenage boy.

you ever seen a ghost?
09-30-2011, 07:42 AM
thanks!

Roland of Gilead 33
09-30-2011, 09:52 PM
really? i think it's funny they had never heard of it. maybe he tells her at least i think it's a woman who is the mod there? anyways when he knows he'll be able to maybe finish it? or maybe it was a side project he was working on while writing one of his books that did get published perhaps?

Roland of Gilead 33
09-30-2011, 09:55 PM
i dunno honestly, i am just guessing of course. either way i'd LOVE it if he would release more of his early stuff that he started. like i think "Sword of Darkness" isn't it called? all he really would need to do is give it a look at & fix his errors if needed & prolly update it.

i dunno i'm just guessing what he would have to do. that's a book i'm curious to read that's all.

Roland of Gilead 33
10-03-2011, 11:29 AM
thanxs for the repuation, i say prolly cause it's just easier than try to spell probally right. i tend to fuck up the spelling on that. so it's just the way i type as well. anyways, has anyone read any of King's unpublished works & if so how are thy?

Merlin1958
10-03-2011, 01:30 PM
thanxs for the repuation, i say prolly cause it's just easier than try to spell probally right. i tend to fuck up the spelling on that. so it's just the way i type as well. anyways, has anyone read any of King's unpublished works & if so how are thy?

I was just "funning" with ya dude!!!!

You're prolly right!!!

:lol1:

Randall Flagg
10-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Most r pretty gud.

Randall Flagg
10-03-2011, 05:11 PM
Over 23,000 views of the video I shot!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2CnVM3MjbQ

Roland of Gilead 33
10-03-2011, 07:55 PM
well i wasn't mad at ya or anything man. my way of typing is just different than most people that's all. also one question did anyone other than me of course catch "SK" on "TCM" tonite ? he was on the at the movies special talking about horror movies. & even talked a little near the end of it about his films. & why he doesn't like the film "The Shining" that's the 1st time i actually ever saw him actually talk about it.

i'm not saying he hasn't in the past. but reading about him talking about it is by far different than watching him talk about it. it was actually pretty sweet hearing him talk about films that have inspired him through the years. & what ones have scared him. such as 'The Blair witch Project"

which i still don't see how that film can be scary? i wasn't scared at all watching it. i thought that film was a piece of shit actually. but going back on topic the Documentary was a good watch. & look it up on the offical website to when they are going to show it again. which they are going to at least 2 or 3 more times. i'm sure.

DanishCollector
10-04-2011, 03:58 AM
The first time I saw Blair Witch was in a small movie theater with an incredible effective surround sound to it. I loved the movie and it was scary (only in parts, though) because one's imagination was in full gear. Later views was not so effective, and it's no the scariest horror movie anymore as it was for me the first time I saw it in that theater. But it will always a special place in my heart.

Roland of Gilead 33
10-04-2011, 11:28 AM
oh there's no doubt i can see that it may be scary in the theatre. i'm not denying that. but i didn't see it that way. i bought the dvd of it like day it came out. watched it it a few times just to try to like it & i ended up trading it in cause i just got tired of having it. it was just a useless dvd that i knew i'd NEVER watch again.

but anyways yes i can see it prolly i'm sure being better if ya saw it when it 1st came out, rather than on dvd. with like you said all that surround sound & all that shit that theatres have installed, plus the darknened theatre as well. to set the mood i guess is the only way i can think of to put it. he he.

jhanic
10-04-2011, 12:18 PM
King mentioned this movie in his one-hour special last night on TCM. He said that after the first viewing, your "fear factor" (my phrase, not his) decreases quite a bit. I really enjoyed Blair Witch when I first saw it, but it just didn't have the same impact later.

John

DanishCollector
10-04-2011, 12:21 PM
I guess the movie is a one-time full enjoyment with the right sound and all...and yes, not on a DVD. However, the sequel was unnecessary and not good at all.

Brice
10-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Blair witch did nothing for me in the theatre or on video.

Darkday
10-04-2011, 02:35 PM
I listened to King's reading many times now, and although I understand almost all of it, there are a few names and phrases that I just can't figure out (English is not my mother tongue). Would it be okay if I post a transcript here so that maybe someone could help me out?

Randall Flagg
10-04-2011, 02:36 PM
I listened to King's reading many times now, and although I understand almost all of it, there are a few names and phrases that I just can't figure out (English is not my mother tongue). Would it be okay if I post a transcript here so that maybe someone could help me out?
Yes.

Darkday
10-04-2011, 02:53 PM
Okay, here it comes. The places I had problems with are marked by black squares. However I'm sure there are some mistakes in other places as well. Any comments are welcome!

Transcription of Stephen King’s reading at George Mason University in Fairfax, VA on September 23, 2011

The tribe owned whole towns in Maine, Florida, Colorado and Arizona, but they never stayed in those places for long. Mostly they were migratory. If you drive the turnpikes and main traveled highways of America, you may have seen them. Maybe it was on I-95 in South Carolina, somewhere south of ■, north of Santee, maybe it was on I-80 in Montana, in the mountain country, west of ■ or on 301 in Florida, outside of Ocala.

How many times have you found yourself behind a lumbering RV, eating exhaust and waiting impatiently for your chance to pass? Creeping along at 40, when you could be doing a perfectly legal 65, or even 70. And when there’s finally a hole in the fast lane, and you pull out, holy god, you see a whole line of those damn things. Gas hogs, driven by bespectacled golden oldies who hunch over the wheel, gripping it like they think it’s going to fly away.

Or maybe you’ve encountered them in turnpike rest areas, when you stop to take a leak, stretch your legs, maybe drop a few quarters into one of the vending machines. The entrance ramps to those rest stops always divide in two, don’t they? Cars in one parking lot, long haul trucks and RVs in another. Usually the lot for the big rigs and RVs is a little farther away. You might have seen the ■ rolling motorhomes parked in that lot, all in a cluster. You might have seen them walking up to the main building—slow, because most of them look old and many of them are pretty darn fat. Always in a group, and always keeping to themselves.

Sometimes, they pull off at one of the exits where there are plenty of gas stations, motels, and fast food joints. And if you see all those RVs parked at McDonald’s and Burger King, you keep on going, because you know they’ll all be lined up at the counter, the men wearing floppy golf hats or long-billed fishing caps, the woman in stretch pants—always powder blue—and shirts that say things like: “Ask me about my grandchildren” or “Jesus is king” or “Happy wanderer.” You’d rather go half a mile farther down the road to the Waffle House or Shoney’s because you know, they’ll take forever to order, mooning over the menu, always wanting their quarter pounders without the pickles or their whoppers without the sauce, asking if there are any interesting tourist attractions in the area, even though anyone can see this is just another nothing three-stop-light burg, where the kids leave as soon as they graduate from the nearest high school.

You hardly see them, do you? They’re just the RV people. You think? The ones living out their retirement on the road, staying at campgrounds, where they sit around on their Walmart lounge chairs and cook on hibachi grills. They’re the ones who always stop at flea markets and yard sales, parking their damn RVs nose to tail, half on the shoulder and half on the road, so you have to slow to a crawl in order to creep by.

They’re the opposite of the motorcycle clubs you sometimes see on those same turnpikes and main traveled highways—the mild angels instead of the wild ones. They’re annoying as hell when they descend en masse on a rest area and fill up all the toilets, but once their balky old bowels finally work and you are able to take a pee yourself, you put them out of your mind, don’t you? They’re no more remarkable than a flock of birds on a telephone wire or a herd of cows grazing in the field beside the road.

Oh, you might wonder, how they can afford to fill up those fuel-guzzling monstrosities, because they must be on fixed incomes, you think, how else could they spend all that time driving around like they do. And you might puzzle over why anyone would want to spend their golden years driving all those endless American miles between hoot and holler or shit and Shinola, but beyond that, they probably never cross your mind.

And, if you happen to be one of those unfortunate people who has ever lost a kid—nothing left but a bike in the vacant lot down the street, or a little cap lying in the bushes at the edge of the nearby stream—you probably never thought about them, did you? Why would you? No, it was probably some hobo or—worse to consider, but horribly plausible—some sick bastard from your very own town, maybe you very own neighborhood, maybe even your very own street. Some sick killer pervo who is very good at looking normal and will go on looking normal until someone finds a clutter of bones in the guy’s basement or buried in his backyard.

You’d never think of the RV people, those sweet grandmas and grandpas in their golf hats and sun visors with the ■ flowers on them, and mostly you’d be right, because there are thousands of RV people, but by 2011, there was only one tribe left in America. They like moving around and that was good, because they had to. If they stayed in one place they’d eventually attract attention, because they don’t age like other people.

Abe ■ or Dirty Phil, ■ names ■ and Phil Caputo, might appear to age twenty years over night. The little twins, ■ and ■, the youngest ones ■ names Peter and Preston Gabin, might snap back from twenty-two to twelve, the age in which they were turned. You could see how stuff like that might raise some questions. A tottery, grumpy old lady of eighty suddenly becomes sixty again. A leathery old gent of seventy is able to put away his cane, the skin tumors on his arms and face disappear. Black-eyed Suzy loses her hitching limp. Diesel Dug goes from half-blind with cataracts to sharp-eyed, his bald spot magically gone. Steamhat Steve starts walking in a crooked-back shuffle at the same time his wife Baba is able to ditch her incontinence pants and go out line dancing.

People would wonder, and people would talk. Eventually some reporter would turn up, and the tribe shied away from publicity the way vampires supposedly shy away from sunlight. But since they don’t live in one place—now when they stop for awhile in one for their bought and paid-for towns, they keep to themselves—they fit right in.

Why not? They wear the same clothes as the other RV people. They wear the same el cheapo sunglasses. They buy the same souvenir t-shirts and consult the same AAA roadmaps. They put the same decals on their Bounders and Winnebagos, touting all the peculiar places they visited—“I had a ball in Cawker City, Kansas, home of the word’s largest ball of twine.” And you find yourself looking at the same bumper stickers: “Old, but not dead,” “Save medicare, I’m a conservative, and I vote.”

While you’re stuck behind them, waiting for a chance to pass, they eat fried chicken from the colonel and buy the occasional scratch ticket in those easy on, easy off convenient stores where they sell beer, energy drinks, country and western CDs and ten-thousand kinds of candy bars. If there’s a bingo hall in the town where they stop, a bunch of them are apt to go on over, take a table and play until the last coverall game is finished.

At one of those games, ■ named ■, won five hundred dollars. She ■ over that for months and although they all had all the money they need, it pissed off some of the other ladies to no end.

If one of them happens to get stopped for speeding or some other minor traffic offense—it’s rare, but it does happen—the cop finds nothing but valid licenses, up-to-date insurance cards and paper work in apple-pie order. No voices are raised while the cop’s standing there with his citation book, even if it’s an obvious speed trap. The charges are never disputed, all fines are paid promptly.

America is a living body, the highways are its arteries and the tribe slips along them like a silent virus.

But … there are no dogs. Occasionally, ordinary RV people travel with lots of canine company. Usually those little dogs with white fur, gaudy rhinestone studded collars and nasty tempers. You know the kind, they have irritating barks and ratty little eyes full of disturbing intelligence.

You see them sniffing their way through the grass in the designated pet walking areas of the turnpike reststops, their owners trailing behind, plastic doggy bags and pooper scoopers at the ready. In addition to the usual decals and bumper stickers on the motorhomes of these ordinary RV people, you’re apt to see yellow diamond shaped signs reading “Pomeranian on board” or “I hug my poodle.”

Not the tribe. They don’t like dogs and dogs don’t like them. You might say dogs see through them. To the sharp and watchful eyes behind the cut-rate sunglasses, to the strong and long-muscled hunter’s legs beneath the polyester slacks from Walmart, to the sharp teeth beneath the dentures, waiting to come out. They don’t like dogs, but they like certain children. Yes, they like certain children very much.

Roland of Gilead 33
10-04-2011, 03:26 PM
oh good i wasn't the only one who watched that last nite. that's why i brought ' Blair witch" up i haven't seen the sequel to be honest so i can't say if that was any good or not. but since i knew that i just would be unable to remember what he said about it. i didn't post what he had actually said. but when i 1st saw that film i said to myself THIS is the hype?

this film is just NOT scary! though it is impressive to have like i think it was a $10,000 budget maybe? & made 10 times that. maybe 20 times that. anyways, thanxs for posting this as well.

Ari_Racing
10-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Wow! Darkday, I started the transcription, but I was half of that so far and with some doubts! :)

Thanks for sharing!

mae
10-04-2011, 03:55 PM
on I-95 in South Carolina, somewhere south of ■, north of Santee, maybe it was on I-80 in Montana, in the mountain country, west of ■ or on 301 in Florida, outside of Ocala

Not sure what the first town is (sounds like Dillenen or something), but the second one is Draper, though Google Maps says there's no Draper in MT.

“I hug my poodle.”

It should be I ♥ MY POODLE.

sun visors with the ■ flowers on them

the applique flowers

Merlin1958
10-04-2011, 04:42 PM
Okay, here it comes. The places I had problems with are marked by black squares. However I'm sure there are some mistakes in other places as well. Any comments are welcome!

Transcription of Stephen King’s reading at George Mason University in Fairfax, VA on September 23, 2011

The tribe owned whole towns in Maine, Florida, Colorado and Arizona, but they never stayed in those places for long. Mostly they were migratory. If you drive the turnpikes and main traveled highways of America, you may have seen them. Maybe it was on I-95 in South Carolina, somewhere south of ■, north of Santee, maybe it was on I-80 in Montana, in the mountain country, west of ■ or on 301 in Florida, outside of Ocala.

How many times have you found yourself behind a lumbering RV, eating exhaust and waiting impatiently for your chance to pass? Creeping along at 40, when you could be doing a perfectly legal 65, or even 70. And when there’s finally a hole in the fast lane, and you pull out, holy god, you see a whole line of those damn things. Gas hogs, driven by bespectacled golden oldies who hunch over the wheel, gripping it like they think it’s going to fly away.

Or maybe you’ve encountered them in turnpike rest areas, when you stop to take a leak, stretch your legs, maybe drop a few quarters into one of the vending machines. The entrance ramps to those rest stops always divide in two, don’t they? Cars in one parking lot, long haul trucks and RVs in another. Usually the lot for the big rigs and RVs is a little farther away. You might have seen the ■ rolling motorhomes parked in that lot, all in a cluster. You might have seen them walking up to the main building—slow, because most of them look old and many of them are pretty darn fat. Always in a group, and always keeping to themselves.

Sometimes, they pull off at one of the exits where there are plenty of gas stations, motels, and fast food joints. And if you see all those RVs parked at McDonald’s and Burger King, you keep on going, because you know they’ll all be lined up at the counter, the men wearing floppy golf hats or long-billed fishing caps, the woman in stretch pants—always powder blue—and shirts that say things like: “Ask me about my grandchildren” or “Jesus is king” or “Happy wanderer.” You’d rather go half a mile farther down the road to the Waffle House or Shoney’s because you know, they’ll take forever to order, mooning over the menu, always wanting their quarter pounders without the pickles or their whoppers without the sauce, asking if there are any interesting tourist attractions in the area, even though anyone can see this is just another nothing three-stop-light burg, where the kids leave as soon as they graduate from the nearest high school.

You hardly see them, do you? They’re just the RV people. You think? The ones living out their retirement on the road, staying at campgrounds, where they sit around on their Walmart lounge chairs and cook on hibachi grills. They’re the ones who always stop at flea markets and yard sales, parking their damn RVs nose to tail, half on the shoulder and half on the road, so you have to slow to a crawl in order to creep by.

They’re the opposite of the motorcycle clubs you sometimes see on those same turnpikes and main traveled highways—the mild angels instead of the wild ones. They’re annoying as hell when they descend en masse on a rest area and fill up all the toilets, but once their balky old bowels finally work and you are able to take a pee yourself, you put them out of your mind, don’t you? They’re no more remarkable than a flock of birds on a telephone wire or a herd of cows grazing in the field beside the road.

Oh, you might wonder, how they can afford to fill up those fuel-guzzling monstrosities, because they must be on fixed incomes, you think, how else could they spend all that time driving around like they do. And you might puzzle over why anyone would want to spend their golden years driving all those endless American miles between hoot and holler or shit and Shinola, but beyond that, they probably never cross your mind.

And, if you happen to be one of those unfortunate people who has ever lost a kid—nothing left but a bike in the vacant lot down the street, or a little cap lying in the bushes at the edge of the nearby stream—you probably never thought about them, did you? Why would you? No, it was probably some hobo or—worse to consider, but horribly plausible—some sick bastard from your very own town, maybe you very own neighborhood, maybe even your very own street. Some sick killer pervo who is very good at looking normal and will go on looking normal until someone finds a clutter of bones in the guy’s basement or buried in his backyard.

You’d never think of the RV people, those sweet grandmas and grandpas in their golf hats and sun visors with the ■ flowers on them, and mostly you’d be right, because there are thousands of RV people, but by 2011, there was only one tribe left in America. They like moving around and that was good, because they had to. If they stayed in one place they’d eventually attract attention, because they don’t age like other people.

Abe ■ or Dirty Phil, ■ names ■ and Phil Caputo, might appear to age twenty years over night. The little twins, ■ and ■, the youngest ones ■ names Peter and Preston Gabin, might snap back from twenty-two to twelve, the age in which they were turned. You could see how stuff like that might raise some questions. A tottery, grumpy old lady of eighty suddenly becomes sixty again. A leathery old gent of seventy is able to put away his cane, the skin tumors on his arms and face disappear. Black-eyed Suzy loses her hitching limp. Diesel Dug goes from half-blind with cataracts to sharp-eyed, his bald spot magically gone. Steamhat Steve starts walking in a crooked-back shuffle at the same time his wife Baba is able to ditch her incontinence pants and go out line dancing.

People would wonder, and people would talk. Eventually some reporter would turn up, and the tribe shied away from publicity the way vampires supposedly shy away from sunlight. But since they don’t live in one place—now when they stop for awhile in one for their bought and paid-for towns, they keep to themselves—they fit right in.

Why not? They wear the same clothes as the other RV people. They wear the same el cheapo sunglasses. They buy the same souvenir t-shirts and consult the same AAA roadmaps. They put the same decals on their Bounders and Winnebagos, touting all the peculiar places they visited—“I had a ball in Cawker City, Kansas, home of the word’s largest ball of twine.” And you find yourself looking at the same bumper stickers: “Old, but not dead,” “Save medicare, I’m a conservative, and I vote.”

While you’re stuck behind them, waiting for a chance to pass, they eat fried chicken from the colonel and buy the occasional scratch ticket in those easy on, easy off convenient stores where they sell beer, energy drinks, country and western CDs and ten-thousand kinds of candy bars. If there’s a bingo hall in the town where they stop, a bunch of them are apt to go on over, take a table and play until the last coverall game is finished.

At one of those games, ■ named ■, won five hundred dollars. She ■ over that for months and although they all had all the money they need, it pissed off some of the other ladies to no end.

If one of them happens to get stopped for speeding or some other minor traffic offense—it’s rare, but it does happen—the cop finds nothing but valid licenses, up-to-date insurance cards and paper work in apple-pie order. No voices are raised while the cop’s standing there with his citation book, even if it’s an obvious speed trap. The charges are never disputed, all fines are paid promptly.

America is a living body, the highways are its arteries and the tribe slips along them like a silent virus.

But … there are no dogs. Occasionally, ordinary RV people travel with lots of canine company. Usually those little dogs with white fur, gaudy rhinestone studded collars and nasty tempers. You know the kind, they have irritating barks and ratty little eyes full of disturbing intelligence.

You see them sniffing their way through the grass in the designated pet walking areas of the turnpike reststops, their owners trailing behind, plastic doggy bags and pooper scoopers at the ready. In addition to the usual decals and bumper stickers on the motorhomes of these ordinary RV people, you’re apt to see yellow diamond shaped signs reading “Pomeranian on board” or “I hug my poodle.”

Not the tribe. They don’t like dogs and dogs don’t like them. You might say dogs see through them. To the sharp and watchful eyes behind the cut-rate sunglasses, to the strong and long-muscled hunter’s legs beneath the polyester slacks from Walmart, to the sharp teeth beneath the dentures, waiting to come out. They don’t like dogs, but they like certain children. Yes, they like certain children very much.

Man!! Tough Crowd!!!! :lol:

:cool_002:

mae
10-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Here's what I've come up with:

The Tribe owned whole towns in Maine, Florida, Colorado, and Arizona, but they never stayed in those places for long. Mostly they were migratory. If you drive the turnpikes and main-traveled highways of America, you may have seen them. Maybe it was on I-95 in South Carolina, somewhere south of Dillenen, north of Santee, maybe it was on I-80 in Montana, in the mountain country, west of Draper, or on 301 in Florida, outside of Ocala.

Or maybe you’ve encountered them in turnpike rest areas, when you stop to take a leak, stretch your legs, maybe drop a few quarters into one of the vending machines. The entrance ramps to those rest stops always divide in two, don’t they? Cars in one parking lot, long haul trucks and RVs in another. Usually the lot for the big rigs and RVs is a little farther away. You might have seen the Tribe’s rolling motorhomes parked in that lot, all in a cluster. You might have seen them walking up to the main building—slow, because most of them look old and many of them are pretty darn fat. Always in a group, and always keeping to themselves.

Sometimes they pull off at one of the exits where there are plenty of gas stations, motels, and fast food joints. And if you see all those RVs parked at McDonald’s and Burger King, you keep on going, because you know they’ll all be lined up at the counter, the men wearing floppy golf hats or long-billed fishing caps, the women in stretch pants (always powder blue) and shirts that say things like ASK ME ABOUT MY GRANDCHILDREN, or JESUS IS KING, or HAPPY WANDERER. You’d rather go half a mile farther down the road to the Waffle House or Shoney’s, because you know they’ll take forever to order, mooning over the menu, always wanting their quarter pounders without the pickles or their whoppers without the sauce, asking if there are any interesting tourist attractions in the area, even though anyone can see this is just another nothing three-stoplight burg, where the kids leave as soon as they graduate from the nearest high school.

You hardly see them, do you? They’re just “the RV people” you think. The ones living out their retirement on the road, staying at campgrounds where they sit around on their Wal-Mart long chairs and cook on hibachi grills. They’re the ones who always stop at flea markets and yard sales, parking their damn RVs nose to tail, half on the shoulder and half on the road, so you have to slow to a crawl in order to creep by.

They’re the opposite of the motorcycle clubs you sometimes see on those same turnpikes and main-traveled highways—the mild angels instead of the wild ones. They’re annoying as hell when they descend en masse on a rest area and fill up all the toilets, but once their balky old bowels finally work and you are able to take a pee yourself, you put them out of your mind, don’t you? They’re no more remarkable than a flock of birds on a telephone wire or a herd of cows grazing in the field beside the road.

Oh, you might wonder how they can afford to fill up those fuel-guzzling monstrosities, because they must be on fixed incomes, you think. How else could they spend all that time driving around like they do? And you might puzzle over why anyone would want to spend their golden years driving all those endless American miles between Hoot and Holler or Shit and Shinola, but beyond that they probably never cross your mind.

And, if you happen to be one of those unfortunate people who has ever lost a kid—nothing left but a bike in the vacant lot down the street, or a little cap lying in the bushes at the edge of the nearby stream—you probably never thought about them, did you? Why would you? No, it was probably some hobo or—worse to consider, but horribly plausible—some sick bastard from your very own town, maybe your very own neighborhood, maybe even your very own street. Some sick killer pervo who is very good at looking normal and will go on looking normal until someone finds a clutter of bones in the guy’s basement or buried in his backyard.
You’d never think of the RV people, those sweet grandmas and grandpas in their golf hats and sun visors with the applique flowers on them. And mostly you’d be right, because there are thousands of RV people, but by 2011 there was only one Tribe left in America. They like moving around, and that was good, because they had to. If they stayed in one place they’d eventually attract attention, because they don’t age like other people.

Abe Ronany or Dirty Phil (rube names Ann Lomon and Phil Caputo) might appear to age twenty years overnight. The little twins, Pea and Pod, the youngest ones (rube names Peter and Preston Gabin) might snap back from twenty-two to twelve, the age at which they were turned. You could see how stuff like that might raise some questions. A tottery, grumpy old lady of eighty suddenly becomes sixty again. A leathery old gent of seventy is able to put away his cane, the skin tumors on his arms and face disappear. Black-eyed Suzy loses her hitching limp. Diesel Doug goes from half-blind with cataracts to sharp-eyed, his bald spot magically gone. Steamhat Steve starts walking in a crooked-back shuffle at the same time his wife Baba is able to ditch her incontinence pants and go out line dancing.

People would wonder, and people would talk. Eventually some reporter would turn up, and the Tribe shied away from publicity the way vampires supposedly shy away from sunlight. But since they don’t live in one place—now when they stop for awhile in one of their bought and paid-for towns, they keep to themselves—they fit right in. Why not? They wear the same clothes as the other RV people. They wear the same el cheapo sunglasses. They buy the same souvenir tee-shirts and consult the same AAA roadmaps. They put the same decals on their Bounders and Winnebagos, touting all the peculiar places they visited—“I had a ball in Cawker City, Kansas, home of the world’s largest ball of twine.” And you find yourself looking at the same bumper stickers: OLD BUT NOT DEAD, SAVE MEDICARE, I’M A CONSERVATIVE AND I VOTE.

While you’re stuck behind them, waiting for a chance to pass, they eat fried chicken from the Colonel and buy the occasional scratch ticket in those easy on/easy off convenience stores where they sell beer, energy drinks, country and western CDs and ten thousand kinds of candy bars. If there’s a bingo hall in the town where they stop, a bunch of them are apt to go on over, take a table, and play until the last coverall game is finished.

At one of those games, Greedy G (rube name Greta Moore), won five hundred dollars. She chortled over that for months, and although they all had all the money they need, it pissed off some of the other ladies to no end.

If one of them happens to get stopped for speeding or some other minor traffic offense—it’s rare, but it does happen—the cop finds nothing but valid licenses, up to date insurance cards, and paperwork in apple-pie order. No voices are raised while the cop’s standing there with his citation book, even if it’s an obvious speed trap. The charges are never disputed. All fines are paid promptly. America is a living body, the highways are its arteries, and the Tribe slips along them like a silent virus.
But…there are no dogs. Occasionally, ordinary RV people travel with lots of canine company, usually those little dogs with white fur, gaudy rhinestone-studded collars, and nasty tempers. You know the kind, they have irritating barks and ratty little eyes full of disturbing intelligence. You see them sniffing their way through the grass in the designated pet walking areas of the turnpike rest stops, their owners trailing behind, plastic doggy bags and pooper scoopers at the ready. In addition to the usual decals and bumper stickers on the motorhomes of these ordinary RV people, you’re apt to see yellow diamond shaped signs reading POMERANIAN ON BOARD or I ♥ MY POODLE.

Not the Tribe. They don’t like dogs and dogs don’t like them. You might say dogs see through them. To the sharp and watchful eyes behind the cut-rate sunglasses, to the strong and long-muscled hunter’s legs beneath the polyester slacks from Wal-Mart, to the sharp teeth beneath the dentures, waiting to come out. They don’t like dogs, but they like certain children. Yes, they like certain children very much.

Merlin1958
10-04-2011, 05:26 PM
WoW!!!! Outstanding, Pablo!!!!!!

:YYY:

Darkday
10-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Thanks a lot, Pablo!

By the way, what does "rube name" mean? I had thought it must either be "root name" or "rube name", but neither made sense to me.

mae
10-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Not sure, something like "common name" maybe.

Randall Flagg
10-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Thanks a lot, Pablo!

By the way, what does "rube name" mean? I had thought it must either be "root name" or "rube name", but neither made sense to me.
A rube is a "country bumpkin", or an "unsophisticated countryman"

mae
10-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Sounds like these Tribe vampires are going by their vampire names and their previous human names are referred to as their "rube" names.

Randall Flagg
10-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Sounds like these Tribe vampires are going by their vampire names and their previous human names are referred to as their "rube" names.
I concur.

Bev Vincent
10-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Steve said that they have "pirate names" because pirates is sort of what they are. Rube names are their straight "non-pirate" names.

mae
10-28-2011, 03:27 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204644504576651540980143566.html

He's 500 pages into a sequel to his 1977 classic "The Shining," about a possessed writer in a haunted hotel and his psychic son, Danny. In the sequel, Danny is grown up and working in a nursing home, where he specializes in helping people as they die.

God
10-28-2011, 04:17 PM
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204644504576651540980143566.html

He's 500 pages into a sequel to his 1977 classic "The Shining," about a possessed writer in a haunted hotel and his psychic son, Danny. In the sequel, Danny is grown up and working in a nursing home, where he specializes in helping people as they die.

Brilliant article. Thanks for sharing.

Bev Vincent
11-15-2011, 08:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zQJDir74su0

mae
11-15-2011, 09:22 AM
http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php/23462-Year-2012-is-coming?p=483182#post483182

The first draft of Dr. Sleep, The Shining sequel, is done.

mae
02-21-2012, 08:49 AM
King reads Dr. Sleep beginning:

http://www.liljas-library.com/article.php?id=2959

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tORC5-jrbRU

More King video here:

http://savannahnow.com/exchange/2012-02-21/savannah-book-festival-all-grown

fernandito
02-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Nice! Will watch during my lunch break.

mae
02-21-2012, 08:58 AM
http://savannahnow.com/share/blog-post/tom-barton/2012-02-20/stephen-king-shining-and-crapper

I didn't know Stephen King could be so funny and entertaining. And classy.

During his hour-long talk Sunday -- a perfect ending to a splendid Savannah Book Festival -- he acknowledged the most important ingredient that makes the book world go round: Readers who devour words. Be still my literary heart.

In fact, he made it beat a little faster -- he said he's working on a sequel to "The Shining." He even read a five-minute excerpt of the book's beginning pages.

"The Shining," King's 1977 novel and his first best-selling hardback, kept me up at nights. His image of the spooky Overlook Hotel and its cast of creepy characters were so vivid that every creak I heard in my rented carriage house downtown -- and there were a lot of them -- gave me jitters. I've never looked at topiary bushes the same way either.

King said the sequel, "Dr. Sleep," picks up three years after the end of "The Shining." It follows Danny Torrance, the little boy with the gift (?) of clairvoyance, who's now living in Tampa, Fla., with his mom Wendy. Predictably, since King is King, young Danny (he's now 8) sees something hideous in his new home -- and I'm not talking obnoxious Florida Gator fans. Instead, it appears the fire that supposedly destroyed the Overlook and all it contained didn't do a thorough job.

That's bad news for Danny. But it's great news for those creeped out by "The Shining."

(King wasn't a big fan of the 1980 movie version, directed by Stanley Kubrick. For example, take said Jack Torrance, the writer-father who went through a horrid metamorphosis in the book. But in the movie, the character played by Jack Nicholson was one-dimensional. "He was crazy at the beginning and crazy at the end and did a little typing in the middle.")

I thought that King, in person, might be introverted and a tad morbid. There's nothing wrong with that. But what the audience got wasn't what I expected.

He's a hoot.

I especially liked the story about the first autograph he gave to a fan in a non-book-store environment. It occurred in Pittsburgh.

King, who was in his mid-20s at the time, was in the Steel City on a book tour, promoting his first novel "Carrie." Part of his job, he said, was to appear on morning TV shows (AM Pittsburgh), along with jitterbugging grandmas, to plug his book to the locals.

That evening, King said, he had a command performance at a dinner that the local newspaper hosted at a fancy restaurant. Unfortunately, the author was suffering from homesickness and a far worse malady -- an intestinal disorder that forced him to make an emergency trip to the joint's opulently appointed restroom.

This was a place that had its own restroom attendant. King remembered him as an ancient man who appeared to be about 108 years old.

Unfortuntely, there was one necessity that this restroom lacked: Doors to the stalls. So as King was sitting on the toilet, the attendant approached the young author, carrying pen and paper.

"He said, 'You're Stephen King, aren't you? I saw you on AM Pittsburgh. Can I get your autograph?' I gave my first autograph sitting on the crapper."

Heather19
02-21-2012, 10:34 AM
Wait, please tell me that someone did not really ask for his autograph while he was on the toilet?

mtdman
02-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Is there a release date set for this yet?

Randall Flagg
02-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Not yet.

mae
02-21-2012, 12:10 PM
Maybe this November? Maybe next spring?

Ricky
02-21-2012, 05:13 PM
Takes place only three years after The Shining?! Plot involving the Overlook?! Danny?! This made me super excited! :excited:

harrison ryan
02-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Takes place only three years after The Shining?! Plot involving the Overlook?! Danny?! This made me super excited! :excited:

From what I've gleaned from a few videos of King reading at the George Mason and Savannah events, only some of the prologue takes place a few years after the events of The Shining, when Danny is still a child. I gather the story really starts when Danny is forty years old, "when he starts being 'Dan'" to paraphrase the King. Apparently, some of the ghosts of the Overlook still haunt him literally and figuratively: He has an alcohol problem like his father.

mae
02-21-2012, 05:22 PM
I think only the opening of the novel takes place three years after The Shining. I guess maybe it's a sort of prologue. Most of the novel itself takes place in contemporary times I understand.

Ricky
02-21-2012, 05:25 PM
That's what I understood as well, but this is the first time I'm hearing of a "prologue-esque" portion. It will be like visiting old friends to see Danny at that point in his life again.

harrison ryan
02-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Yep. There was a bit in 11/22/63 that was definitely a "visiting old friends" moment, too, though not Shining-related. Constant readers' reward.

herbertwest
02-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Maybe this November? Maybe next spring?

i tend to think that it will be november 2012.

mae
02-22-2012, 08:05 AM
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/52977/stephen-king-reads-dr-sleep-sequel-shining

From a different vantage point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukLGBfFXZkU

mikeC
02-22-2012, 08:05 AM
I think only the opening of the novel takes place three years after The Shining. I guess maybe it's a sort of prologue. Most of the novel itself takes place in contemporary times I understand.

Whew! I was wondering how an 8 year would have went through rehab!
I look forward to more AA preachiness in this next novel.

herbertwest
02-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Any bets for publication dates?

I would go for november 2012.

Thorin Oakenshield
02-23-2012, 11:14 AM

I second this.

mae
02-23-2012, 11:38 AM
Should we start a pool? :)

Stockerlone
02-23-2012, 11:55 AM

That means in France ....2015 ???:smile_002: (sorry:couple:)

Ben Mears
02-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Here's what I've come up with:

The Tribe owned whole towns in Maine, Florida, Colorado, and Arizona, but they never stayed in those places for long. Mostly they were migratory. If you drive the turnpikes and main-traveled highways of America, you may have seen them. Maybe it was on I-95 in South Carolina, somewhere south of Dillenen, north of Santee, maybe it was on I-80 in Montana, in the mountain country, west of Draper, or on 301 in Florida, outside of Ocala.

Or maybe you’ve encountered them in turnpike rest areas, when you stop to take a leak, stretch your legs, maybe drop a few quarters into one of the vending machines. The entrance ramps to those rest stops always divide in two, don’t they? Cars in one parking lot, long haul trucks and RVs in another. Usually the lot for the big rigs and RVs is a little farther away. You might have seen the Tribe’s rolling motorhomes parked in that lot, all in a cluster. You might have seen them walking up to the main building—slow, because most of them look old and many of them are pretty darn fat. Always in a group, and always keeping to themselves.

Sometimes they pull off at one of the exits where there are plenty of gas stations, motels, and fast food joints. And if you see all those RVs parked at McDonald’s and Burger King, you keep on going, because you know they’ll all be lined up at the counter, the men wearing floppy golf hats or long-billed fishing caps, the women in stretch pants (always powder blue) and shirts that say things like ASK ME ABOUT MY GRANDCHILDREN, or JESUS IS KING, or HAPPY WANDERER. You’d rather go half a mile farther down the road to the Waffle House or Shoney’s, because you know they’ll take forever to order, mooning over the menu, always wanting their quarter pounders without the pickles or their whoppers without the sauce, asking if there are any interesting tourist attractions in the area, even though anyone can see this is just another nothing three-stoplight burg, where the kids leave as soon as they graduate from the nearest high school.

You hardly see them, do you? They’re just “the RV people” you think. The ones living out their retirement on the road, staying at campgrounds where they sit around on their Wal-Mart long chairs and cook on hibachi grills. They’re the ones who always stop at flea markets and yard sales, parking their damn RVs nose to tail, half on the shoulder and half on the road, so you have to slow to a crawl in order to creep by.

They’re the opposite of the motorcycle clubs you sometimes see on those same turnpikes and main-traveled highways—the mild angels instead of the wild ones. They’re annoying as hell when they descend en masse on a rest area and fill up all the toilets, but once their balky old bowels finally work and you are able to take a pee yourself, you put them out of your mind, don’t you? They’re no more remarkable than a flock of birds on a telephone wire or a herd of cows grazing in the field beside the road.

Oh, you might wonder how they can afford to fill up those fuel-guzzling monstrosities, because they must be on fixed incomes, you think. How else could they spend all that time driving around like they do? And you might puzzle over why anyone would want to spend their golden years driving all those endless American miles between Hoot and Holler or Shit and Shinola, but beyond that they probably never cross your mind.

And, if you happen to be one of those unfortunate people who has ever lost a kid—nothing left but a bike in the vacant lot down the street, or a little cap lying in the bushes at the edge of the nearby stream—you probably never thought about them, did you? Why would you? No, it was probably some hobo or—worse to consider, but horribly plausible—some sick bastard from your very own town, maybe your very own neighborhood, maybe even your very own street. Some sick killer pervo who is very good at looking normal and will go on looking normal until someone finds a clutter of bones in the guy’s basement or buried in his backyard.
You’d never think of the RV people, those sweet grandmas and grandpas in their golf hats and sun visors with the applique flowers on them. And mostly you’d be right, because there are thousands of RV people, but by 2011 there was only one Tribe left in America. They like moving around, and that was good, because they had to. If they stayed in one place they’d eventually attract attention, because they don’t age like other people.

Abe Ronany or Dirty Phil (rube names Ann Lomon and Phil Caputo) might appear to age twenty years overnight. The little twins, Pea and Pod, the youngest ones (rube names Peter and Preston Gabin) might snap back from twenty-two to twelve, the age at which they were turned. You could see how stuff like that might raise some questions. A tottery, grumpy old lady of eighty suddenly becomes sixty again. A leathery old gent of seventy is able to put away his cane, the skin tumors on his arms and face disappear. Black-eyed Suzy loses her hitching limp. Diesel Doug goes from half-blind with cataracts to sharp-eyed, his bald spot magically gone. Steamhat Steve starts walking in a crooked-back shuffle at the same time his wife Baba is able to ditch her incontinence pants and go out line dancing.

People would wonder, and people would talk. Eventually some reporter would turn up, and the Tribe shied away from publicity the way vampires supposedly shy away from sunlight. But since they don’t live in one place—now when they stop for awhile in one of their bought and paid-for towns, they keep to themselves—they fit right in. Why not? They wear the same clothes as the other RV people. They wear the same el cheapo sunglasses. They buy the same souvenir tee-shirts and consult the same AAA roadmaps. They put the same decals on their Bounders and Winnebagos, touting all the peculiar places they visited—“I had a ball in Cawker City, Kansas, home of the world’s largest ball of twine.” And you find yourself looking at the same bumper stickers: OLD BUT NOT DEAD, SAVE MEDICARE, I’M A CONSERVATIVE AND I VOTE.

While you’re stuck behind them, waiting for a chance to pass, they eat fried chicken from the Colonel and buy the occasional scratch ticket in those easy on/easy off convenience stores where they sell beer, energy drinks, country and western CDs and ten thousand kinds of candy bars. If there’s a bingo hall in the town where they stop, a bunch of them are apt to go on over, take a table, and play until the last coverall game is finished.

At one of those games, Greedy G (rube name Greta Moore), won five hundred dollars. She chortled over that for months, and although they all had all the money they need, it pissed off some of the other ladies to no end.

If one of them happens to get stopped for speeding or some other minor traffic offense—it’s rare, but it does happen—the cop finds nothing but valid licenses, up to date insurance cards, and paperwork in apple-pie order. No voices are raised while the cop’s standing there with his citation book, even if it’s an obvious speed trap. The charges are never disputed. All fines are paid promptly. America is a living body, the highways are its arteries, and the Tribe slips along them like a silent virus.
But…there are no dogs. Occasionally, ordinary RV people travel with lots of canine company, usually those little dogs with white fur, gaudy rhinestone-studded collars, and nasty tempers. You know the kind, they have irritating barks and ratty little eyes full of disturbing intelligence. You see them sniffing their way through the grass in the designated pet walking areas of the turnpike rest stops, their owners trailing behind, plastic doggy bags and pooper scoopers at the ready. In addition to the usual decals and bumper stickers on the motorhomes of these ordinary RV people, you’re apt to see yellow diamond shaped signs reading POMERANIAN ON BOARD or I ♥ MY POODLE.

Not the Tribe. They don’t like dogs and dogs don’t like them. You might say dogs see through them. To the sharp and watchful eyes behind the cut-rate sunglasses, to the strong and long-muscled hunter’s legs beneath the polyester slacks from Wal-Mart, to the sharp teeth beneath the dentures, waiting to come out. They don’t like dogs, but they like certain children. Yes, they like certain children very much.

If The Tribe has vampire tendencies it would be interesting if somewhere along the way Danny were to join forces with Mark Petrie to fight them. Danny would be around 41 and Mark around 49. A little out there but what the heck.

Merlin1958
02-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Interesting thought!!!!

herbertwest
02-25-2012, 05:24 AM

That means in France ....2015 ???:smile_002: (sorry:couple:)

(o_O)

Actually no! The wind through the keyhole is planned for publication in 2012, and the translation was given to the publisher about 2 weeks ago.

pixiedark76
02-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Maybe 2013 for publication.

jhanic
02-25-2012, 06:19 PM
I'm also betting it's November 2012.

John

Ari_Racing
02-27-2012, 06:06 AM
I also bet for Nov. 2012.

mae
02-27-2012, 12:16 PM
According to Ms. Mod over at the official forum, sounds like they'll be officially announcing Doctor Sleep this week. So probably second week of November 2012 is the date (the 12th), going by the last few King books released at the same timeframe.

Randall Flagg
02-27-2012, 12:46 PM
That's a very educated guess.

mae
02-27-2012, 01:09 PM
Thanks. I try paying attention to these things :)

Jimimck
02-27-2012, 01:21 PM
Does anyone think there will be a gift and/or S/L editions done for this release? and if so, any guesses at who the publisher may be?
(sorry if these questions have been discussed previously?)

mae
02-27-2012, 01:30 PM
Would love an anniversary edition of The Shining with Before the Play, in a box with Dr. Sleep. After all, The Shining is 35 this year.

mae
02-27-2012, 02:06 PM
http://savannahnow.com/do/2012-02-27/stephen-king-reads-first-pages-shining-sequel-dr-sleep-savannah-transcript

On Feb. 19, legendary novelist Stephen King addressed 1,100 people at Trustees Theater as part of the 2012 Savannah Book Festival.

About 40 minutes into his address, King opened a file folder and produced the first few pages of his manuscript-in-progress "Dr. Sleep," a sequel to "The Shining." The new novel reimagines Danny Torrance as an 8-year-old boy living alone with his mother, three years after the events of "The Shining."

Fair warning: Like all of King's material, the "Dr. Sleep" opening gets a little graphic, so if you're easily offended we suggest you stop reading here. The following is transcribed from the full video of King's presentation, made public by the Savannah Book Festival and watchable here.

At the urging of the audience, King took a seat and narrated the first few pages of "Dr. Sleep."

"So this is how it starts," King said, and began to read:

"On the second day of December in the year of 1977, one of Colorado’s great resort hotels burned to the ground.

"The Overlook was declared a total loss after an investigation by the fire marshal of _______ County ruled that the cause had been a defective boiler. The hotel was closed for the winter when the accident occurred, and only four people were present. Three survived.

"The hotel’s offseason caretaker John Torrance was killed during an unsuccessful and heroic effort to dump the boiler’s steam pressure, which had mounted to a disastrously high level due to an inoperative relief valve. Two of the survivors were the caretaker’s wife and young son. The third was the Overlook’s chef, Richard Hallorann, who had left his seasonal job in Florida and come to check on the Torrances because of what he called 'a powerful hunch' the family was in trouble.

"Both surviving adults had been quite badly injured in the explosion. Only the child was unhurt — physically, at least.

"Wendy Torrance and her son received a settlement from the corporation that owned the Overlook. It wasn’t huge, but enough to get them by for the three years she was unable to work because of back injuries. A lawyer she consulted told her that if she were willing to hold out and play tough, she would get more — perhaps a great deal more — because the corporation was anxious to avoid a court case.

"But she, like the corporation, wanted only to put that disastrous winter in Colorado behind her. She would convalesce she said, and she did, although her back injuries plagued her until the end of her life. Shattered vertebrae may heal — and broken ribs — but they’d never cease crying out.

"Winnifred and Daniel Torrance lived in Maryland for a while, then drifted down to Tampa. Sometimes Dick Hallorann, he of the powerful hunches, came up from Key West to talk and visit with them — to visit with young Danny, especially. They shared a bond.

"One early morning in March of 1981, Wendy called Dick and asked if he could come. Danny, she said, had awakened in the night and told her not to go in the bathroom. After that, he refused to talk at all.

"He woke up needing to pee. Outside, a strong wind was blowing — it was warm, in Florida it was almost always warm — but he did not like that sound and supposed he never would. It reminded him of the Overlook, where the defective boiler had been the very least of the dangers.

"He and his mother lived in a cramped, second-floor tenement apartment. Danny left the little room next to his mother’s and crossed the hall. The wind gusted, and a dying palm tree beside the building clattered its leaves. The sound was skeleton.

"They always left the bathroom door open when no one was using it because the lock was broken. Now it was closed — not because his mother was in there, however. Thanks to facial injuries she suffered at the Overlook, she now snored — a soft, 'queep queep' sound — and he could hear it coming from her bedroom.

“'Well,' he thought, 'she closed it by accident, that’s all.'

"He knew better even then. He was a boy of powerful hunches and intuitions himself, but sometimes you had to know. Sometimes, you had to see. This was something he had found out at the Overlook, in a room on the second floor.

"Reaching with an arm that seemed too long, too stretchy, too boneless, he turned the knob and opened the door.

"The woman from Room 217 was there, as he had known she would be. She was sitting naked on the toilet with her legs spread and her pallid thighs bulging. Her peeling breasts hung down like deflated balloons. The patch of hair below her stomach was gray. Her eyes were also gray, like steel mirrors.

"She saw him, and her decayed lips stretched back in a grin.

“'Close your eyes,' Dick Hallorann had told him once upon a time. 'If you see something bad, close your eyes and tell yourself it’s not there, and when you open them again it will be gone.' But it hadn’t worked in Room 217 when he was 5, and it wouldn’t work now, when he was 8. He knew it. He could smell her. She was decaying.

"The woman — he knew her name, it was Mrs. Massey — lumbered to her purple feet, holding out her hands to him. The flesh on her arms hung down, almost dripping. She was smiling, the way you do when you see an old friend. Or perhaps, something good to eat.

"With an expression that could have been mistaken for calmness, Danny closed the door softly and stepped back. He watched as the knob turned right, left, right again, then still. He was 8 now and capable of at least some rational thought, even in his horror — partly because, in some deep part of his mind, he had been expecting this, although he had always thought it would be Horace Derwent who would eventually show up, or perhaps the bartender, the one his father had called Lloyd. He supposed he should have known it would be Mrs. Massey, though, even before it finally happened.

"Because of all the undead things in the Overlook, she had been the worst ..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUfeHTK1Nw8

herbertwest
02-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Would love an anniversary edition of The Shining with Before the Play, in a box with Dr. Sleep. After all, The Shining is 35 this year.

Is it?
Great idea!

*hint for CD*

Ben Mears
02-27-2012, 02:57 PM

Too bad SK won't approve Centipede's limited of The Shining. It is quite impressive.

Jimimck
02-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Thanks for mentioning "before the play" as I hadnt heard about this before! Just read it now. Quite interesting.

herbertwest
02-27-2012, 11:43 PM

Too bad SK won't approve Centipede's limited of The Shining. It is quite impressive.

It's maybe the perfect opportunity for Centipede to suggest this project again? :-)

Ben Mears
02-28-2012, 04:08 AM

It's maybe the perfect opportunity for Centipede to suggest this project again? :-)

Suggestion has been made.

Bev Vincent
02-28-2012, 07:18 AM
Dr. Sleep will be published in 2013. An exclusive preview, read by King, will be included on The Wind Through the Keyhole audiobook, also read by King.

mae
02-28-2012, 07:23 AM
Early 2013, I presume.

johnsmith87
02-28-2012, 07:29 AM
2013!? Boo!

mae
02-28-2012, 07:36 AM
And the official site has been using both "Dr." and "Doctor", so which is it?

jhanic
02-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Dr. Sleep will be published in 2013. An exclusive preview, read by King, will be included on The Wind Through the Keyhole audiobook, also read by King.

:cry:

John

RichardX
02-28-2012, 11:00 AM
I can't wait for this although I have some mixed feelings about King revisiting it. The Shining is my favorite of his novels. There's a natural curiosity to know what happened next, but the original is so perfect that I almost don't want it touched. It's hard to live up to those expectations. And I would really be disappointed if it turns out to be an average book. That might even diminish the original book in some strange way. And King has moved away from the raw "horror" element that was so effective in many of the earlier novels. It will be interesting to see if he approaches this as a horror novel or a more nuanced story.

DanishCollector
02-28-2012, 01:06 PM
It won't be a sequel per se, plus King has mentioned that Dr. Sleep is one scary novel.

mikeC
02-28-2012, 01:14 PM

Wow, that's quite a tease.

johnsmith87
02-28-2012, 02:17 PM
So The Wind Through the Keyhole will be the only book in 2012? And we're gonna have to wait at least a year after hearing the Dr. Sleep preview to actually read the book? Brutal. I hope he has something else planned for the Fall.

Ben Mears
02-28-2012, 03:08 PM

With SK's recent readings and references to Dr. Sleep along with the audiobook preview it seems a bit curious that the book won't be published for another year.

Randall Flagg
02-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Don't worry. If the publication date gets moved up, no one will complain....or if something else special pops up in late 2012, no one will complain....

mtdman
02-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Don't worry. If the publication date gets moved up, no one will complain....or if something else special pops up in late 2012, no one will complain....

If neither happens I will complain.

Merlin1958
02-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Once again the "TDT.Org Sr. Correspondent" comes through big time!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Pablo!!!!!

Randall Flagg
02-28-2012, 05:18 PM

If neither happens I will complain.
That's why I prefaced my statement with "Don't worry".

jhanic
03-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Ms Mod posted this on the SKMB:

Steve asked me to post this (will be adding it to all the existing Doctor Sleep threads so may be a repeat for you):

Hey, you guys and gals: I've done public readings from next year's Shining sequel a couple of times now, but if you got the idea from any of the blog posts that the audio sample at the end of the forthcoming Wind Through the Keyhole CDs is just the five-minute snippet I read last month in Savannah...think again. It's the entire prologue of the book (called LOCKBOX). It's 25 manuscript pages and runs a little shy of half an hour when read aloud. If you're looking for a return to balls-to-the-wall, keep-the-lights-on horror, get ready. And don't say you weren't warned.

John

mae
03-02-2012, 09:40 AM
:excited:

Still should've been a November book.

jhanic
03-02-2012, 10:07 AM
I tried begging Ms Mod to persuade the powers that be to change their minds, but she said it was King's decision.

John

mae
03-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Made so much sense this year with the 35th anniversary of The Shining. Oh well. Maybe King will placate us with a short story or two in the meantime.

Merlin1958
03-02-2012, 11:44 AM
I tried begging Ms Mod to persuade the powers that be to change their minds, but she said it was King's decision.

John

You're right, John. I would love to know his reasoning for this decision.

Especially since the story seems to be following the timeline of 35 years later. If I understand correctly.

Thorin Oakenshield
03-02-2012, 12:24 PM
WHY OH WHY 2013!!!!!!!!! Oh well, now we can only hope that something convinces his mind to release earlier.

herbertwest
03-03-2012, 01:38 AM
Made so much sense this year with the 35th anniversary of The Shining. Oh well. Maybe King will placate us with a short story or two in the meantime.

Still no news about the lost AFTER THE PLAY?

johnsmith87
03-03-2012, 08:44 AM
Maybe he has some kind of revamped edition of The Shining planned for 2012, as an appetizer for Doctor Sleep in 2013? Just a thought.

Ari_Racing
03-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Scribner just sent a newsletter in which it's mentioned that by the end of the year they'll release new HC editions of The Talisman and Black House:

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Talisman/Stephen-King/9781451694918?cp_type=ea&custd=331983&mcd=ea&view_pc_site=1

http://books.simonandschuster.com/Black-House/Stephen-King/9781451694925?cp_type=ea&custd=331983&mcd=ea&view_pc_site=1

It might be sure now to say that, unless a short story is published, that no new King book will be published this year.

jhanic
03-04-2012, 09:10 AM
I really don't have much interest in those reprints unless they will contain some new material.

John

Bev Vincent
03-04-2012, 09:36 AM
It might be sure now to say that, unless a short story is published, that no new King book will be published this year.

Well, there is one new book this year.

herbertwest
03-04-2012, 11:45 AM
I secretly "hope" that Scribner/ Hodder will publish "Mile 81" as a book, and.. as a flipback edition?
It wouldnt be a "new" story :-)

jhanic
03-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Mile 81 is just actually a short story. I expect it to be published in one of King's collections some day. As I typed this, I realized that he may have enough short stories to issue a collection this year. As you said, it wouldn't be a new work!

John

mae
03-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Definitely not this year, not enough short stories. Earliest is probably 2014. I really liked his more fatter collections, like Skeleton Crew and Nightmares & Dreamscapes, as opposed to the slimmer volumes of Everything's Eventual and Just After Sunset.

DanishCollector
03-04-2012, 01:24 PM
I agree...we need many more stories before we get a new collection. And there is a new novel coming soon...The Wind Through the Keyhole.

mae
03-04-2012, 01:29 PM
And we should also probably keep posts here on the Dr. Sleep topic ;)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-04-2012, 02:21 PM
I secretly "hope" that Scribner/ Hodder will publish "Mile 81" as a book, and.. as a flipback edition?
It wouldnt be a "new" story :-)

They have.

http://www.akyle.f2s.com/images/mile_81.jpg

Well, it 'could' be.

Merlin1958
03-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Does anyone have any insight as to what informed his decision to hold "Dr. Sleep" for 2013?? Does it need more polishing? Editing? Curious why he would break the November release trend and especially with 2012 being the 35 year anniversary of "The Shining". Anyone?

mae
03-04-2012, 03:11 PM
The first draft was completed in November 2011. How long does it usually take from first draft to publication?

Merlin1958
03-04-2012, 03:23 PM
The first draft was completed in November 2011. How long does it usually take from first draft to publication?

You would think a year would be plenty of time. That's why I was wondering if there were other reasons. Maybe Bev knows something?

Heather19
03-04-2012, 04:04 PM
I'm really bummed we have to wait a whole year for this one :(

I can't wait for this although I have some mixed feelings about King revisiting it. The Shining is my favorite of his novels. There's a natural curiosity to know what happened next, but the original is so perfect that I almost don't want it touched. It's hard to live up to those expectations. And I would really be disappointed if it turns out to be an average book. That might even diminish the original book in some strange way. And King has moved away from the raw "horror" element that was so effective in many of the earlier novels. It will be interesting to see if he approaches this as a horror novel or a more nuanced story.

These are my worries too, but I'm still looking forward to it. And I'm hoping that it's a straight up scary, scary book! We haven't had one of these in quite some time.

harrison ryan
03-04-2012, 04:54 PM

You would think a year would be plenty of time. That's why I was wondering if there were other reasons. Maybe Bev knows something?

I think it can take up to a year from completion of the final draft to arrival in bookstores...or maybe King just wants to slow down a bit and is in no hurry to get this one out there. Maybe both, maybe neither.

Merlin1958
03-04-2012, 04:55 PM

I think it can take up to a year from completion of the final draft to arrival in bookstores...

Yeah, in retrospect that was kind of a aggressive thought for the publishing biz.

herbertwest
03-05-2012, 03:06 AM
Mile 81 is just actually a short story. I expect it to be published in one of King's collections some day. As I typed this, I realized that he may have enough short stories to issue a collection this year. As you said, it wouldn't be a new work!

John

Yeah, but my point is that it's a recent new story... and that would be a great mean to promote the FLIPBACK format.
But that's just my two cents of an idea :-)

Bev Vincent
03-05-2012, 06:03 AM
I suspect the timing on Dr Sleep has to do with his planned European tour in 2013.

Stockerlone
03-05-2012, 06:21 AM
I suspect the timing on Dr Sleep has to do with his planned European tour in 2013.

:coo3l::drool::excited::nana:YES, the STEPHEN KING EUROPEAN 2013 Tour :thumbsup::rock::onfire::emot-roflolmao:

herbertwest
03-05-2012, 08:56 AM

Well, i hope that it will happen, but dont hold my breathe..

Ben Mears
03-05-2012, 12:52 PM
So The Wind Through the Keyhole will be the only book in 2012? And we're gonna have to wait at least a year after hearing the Dr. Sleep preview to actually read the book? Brutal. I hope he has something else planned for the Fall.

Maybe the ghost of Mr. Bachman will check in this November with another posthumous release!

Ari_Racing
03-05-2012, 12:53 PM
Scribner announced a new release of The Talisman and Black House in HC for november.

Merlin1958
03-05-2012, 12:56 PM

Damn Europeans!!!! LOL J/K

Stockerlone
03-05-2012, 01:36 PM

This is ....maybe OUR one an only chance to see Stephen King live !!!:shoot:

Merlin1958
03-05-2012, 01:42 PM

This is ....maybe OUR one an only chance to see Stephen King live !!!:shoot:

LOL Dig up Tolkien and pass him around and its a deal!!!! LOL LOL LOL

:biggrin1:

johnsmith87
03-05-2012, 05:48 PM
Well, Duma Key was published in January of 2008, so if it's 2013, I'm hoping it's very early 2013.

Ari_Racing
03-07-2012, 06:47 AM
Cell was also published in January.

johnsmith87
03-07-2012, 02:49 PM
Yes, very true. I suppose January 2013 isn't so bad, especially since we have TWTTK this year, and possibly some other unannounced project along the lines of Blockade Billy or Mile 81.

Jimimck
03-07-2012, 03:53 PM
and possibly some other unannounced project along the lines of Blockade Billy or Mile 81.

Is this based on anything in particular? or more a hope?

DanishCollector
03-08-2012, 06:13 AM
Mayhap the Afterlife comic? Unless he has abandoned that project.

Ben Mears
03-08-2012, 07:43 AM
The Cannibals!

jhanic
03-10-2012, 05:10 AM
Per Ms Mod on the SKMB, the title of the book will be Doctor Sleep, not Dr. Sleep.

John

Randall Flagg
03-10-2012, 06:25 AM
Oh no. My mock up is wrong.

johnsmith87
03-10-2012, 02:27 PM
Time to change the thread title? lol

I think I like Doctor better than Dr. anyways.

Spelling it out just seems classier.

and possibly some other unannounced project along the lines of Blockade Billy or Mile 81.

Is this based on anything in particular? or more a hope?

Oh, this is purely speculation. Based on recent history, I wouldn't be surprised if he has something else up his sleeve, like a novella or short story. Then again, it's just as likely that he doesn't. One can always hope though!

harrison ryan
03-10-2012, 04:12 PM

I agree, FWIW. I think it's a great title. Unlike 11/22/63, which will always look clumsy to me.

Merlin1958
03-10-2012, 05:32 PM

I agree, FWIW. I think it's a great title. Unlike 11/22/63, which will always look clumsy to me.

I hear ya, but it's a date like "9/11/01" that will live in infamy. So, considering the book plot and all, I gave it a "pass".

Garrell
03-10-2012, 05:35 PM
I just call it the JFK book for short.

Merlin1958
03-10-2012, 05:41 PM
I just call it the JFK book for short.

Works for me!!!! Can I feel free to "steal" that description? LOL

mae
04-01-2012, 12:09 PM
We have cover:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0151261008/

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51NFPFSXX0L.jpg

Randall Flagg
04-01-2012, 01:29 PM
http://doctorsleep.co/dsc.jpg

Jimimck
04-01-2012, 02:50 PM
RF, where did that picture come from?
I had some fun on facebook posting your April Fools joke thanks :evil:

Randall Flagg
04-01-2012, 03:34 PM
It came from an artist with talent (In other words, not me).

Merlin1958
04-01-2012, 05:27 PM
It would be nice if there was a closer look available. Pretty interesting artwork on that cover. Very cool!!!

skyofcrack
04-01-2012, 05:54 PM
I don't know if it's been reported here or not but on TWTTK audiobook, King will provide an audio preview of Doctor Sleep

THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE audiobook will also offer an exclusive audio preview of King’s upcoming novel, DOCTOR SLEEP, the eagerly-awaited sequel to his classic, THE SHINING, to be published in 2013. Stephen King will also read the excerpt from DOCTOR SLEEP.

http://dailydead.com/hear-stephen-king-read-an-excerpt-from-the-wind-through-the-keyhole/

I haven't listened to this clip yet but I'm fairly certain there's no audio of Doctor Sleep in the excerpt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBwyYo-xrCo

mae
04-24-2012, 11:40 AM
For the curious, here's a transcript of King's very short and inconsequential intro to his reading of the first chapter of Doctor Sleep which plays after the conclusion of his reading of The Wind Through the Keyhole:

This is Stephen King. I have you've enjoyed this reading of The Wind Through the Keyhole. If you want to stick around a bit, what follows is the first chapter of a new novel, which will be published in 2013. For years I've wondered what might've become of Danny Torrance, the little boy who spent a frightening winter in a haunted hotel called The Overlook. Finally, I determined to write a sequel to that novel--which was called The Shining--and find out for myself. The results were frightening, but if you enjoy being scared as much as I do, you might like it. Here is Chapter One of Doctor Sleep.

Merlin1958
04-24-2012, 12:31 PM
For the curious, here's a transcript of King's very short and inconsequential intro to his reading of the first chapter of Doctor Sleep which plays after the conclusion of his reading of The Wind Through the Keyhole:

This is Stephen King. I have you've enjoyed this reading of The Wind Through the Keyhole. If you want to stick around a bit, what follows is the first chapter of a new novel, which will be published in 2013. For years I've wondered what might've become of Danny Torrance, the little boy who spent a frightening winter in a haunted hotel called The Overlook. Finally, I determined to write a sequel to that novel--which was called The Shining--and find out for myself. The results were frightening, but if you enjoy being scared as much as I do, you might like it. Here is Chapter One of Doctor Sleep.

Great stuff, Pablo!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

DanishCollector
04-25-2012, 12:48 PM
There's another short intro by King in the audiobook of The Gunslinger (the one he read himself many moons ago), about how he thought it was best for a writer to read his own work for audiobooks. Anyone here have it and maybe do a transcription?

mtdman
04-27-2012, 06:24 PM
The Doctor Sleep excerpt was pretty interesting and got my attention/interest. I can't believe I have to wait until next year for it. Damn.

herbertwest
05-08-2012, 05:46 AM
the official website : U.S. publication date for Doctor Sleep has been tentatively set for January 15, 2013

May 8th, 2012 9:08:34 am

Stephen King returns to the characters and territory of one of his most popular novels ever, The Shining, in this instantly riveting novel about the now middle-aged Dan Torrance (the boy protagonist of The Shining) and the very special twelve-year-old girl he must save from a tribe of murderous paranormals.

On highways across America, a tribe of people called The True Knot travel in search of sustenance. They look harmless—mostly old, lots of polyester, and married to their RVs. But as Dan Torrance knows, and tween Abra Stone learns, The True Knot are quasi-immortal, living off the “steam” that children with the “shining” produce when they are slowly tortured to death.

Haunted by the inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel where he spent one horrific childhood year, Dan has been drifting for decades, desperate to shed his father’s legacy of despair, alcoholism, and violence. Finally, he settles in a New Hampshire town, an AA community that sustains him, and a job at a nursing home where his remnant “shining” power provides the crucial final comfort to the dying. Aided by a prescient cat, he becomes “Doctor Sleep.”

Then Dan meets the evanescent Abra Stone, and it is her spectacular gift, the brightest shining ever seen, that reignites Dan’s own demons and summons him to a battle for Abra’s soul and survival. This is an epic war between good and evil, a gory, glorious story that will thrill the millions of hyper-devoted readers of The Shining and wildly satisfy anyone new to the territory of this icon in the King canon.

mae
05-08-2012, 05:49 AM
Sounds pretty mind-blowing. And it comes out just in time for my birthday.

Merlin1958
05-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Talk about a "Teaser"!!!! Can't wait!!!!

:excited::excited::excited:

Ari_Racing
05-08-2012, 07:12 AM
Well...I was planning a trip on January...I think I'll be attending a signing then. :)

Stockerlone
05-08-2012, 08:42 AM
GREAT NEWS !!!

mae
05-08-2012, 08:45 AM
http://free.timeanddate.com/countdown/i33mo9pf/n179/cf12/cm0/cu4/ct0/cs0/ca0/co1/cr0/ss0/cac000/cpc000/pcfff/tcfff/fs200/szw320/szh135/tatTime%20Until%20Publication%20of%20%22Doctor%20S leep%22/tac000/tptTime%20since%20Event%20started%20in/tpc000/iso2013-01-15T00:00:00

herbertwest
05-08-2012, 09:10 AM
Well...I was planning a trip on January...I think I'll be attending a signing then. :)

I always wanted to visit the USA.... maybe i should try that too!
But let's keep it mind that it's "tentatively"..

Tipically, i would tend to think that such a release would deserve an international booktour... no?
Altough... it would be released in France in... 2014?

Stockerlone
05-08-2012, 09:21 AM

Tipically, i would tend to think that such a release would deserve an international booktour... no?

Perfect timing for his German / France booktour 2013.
(That means that the FR publisher MUST translate the book FAST):excited:

herbertwest
05-08-2012, 10:10 AM

Perfect timing for his German / France booktour 2013.
(That means that the FR publisher MUST translate the book FAST):excited:

Yeah i was thinking that! I know that 11/22/63 is still being translated (the deadline being probably this summer). The thing is that, in France, they wait for the actual book to be published to start translating it. Maybe to be sure that there is any last minute change or something...

mae
05-09-2012, 02:42 PM
After announcing the 01/15/13 tentative release date yesterday, the official site now states a new date will be announced later.

herbertwest
05-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Actually, the announced the original date not yesterday, but 2 days ago ;-)
I wonder why they didnt wait, as they seemed to know that it would be postponed...

mae
05-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Actually, the announced the original date not yesterday, but 2 days ago ;-)

It was announced May 8 and withdrawn May 9, when I posted that yesterday. Now it's two days ago :)

carbinworld
05-10-2012, 12:10 PM
http://overlookconnection.com/catalog/doctor-sleep-before-play-shining-p-6988.html

"This product will be in stock on Thursday 28 February, 2013."

mtdman
05-10-2012, 06:48 PM
The chapter that was at the end of the Wind audio book was very good and drew me in. I'm anxious for this book. I hope they don't put it off for very long.

mattgreenbean
05-11-2012, 07:40 AM

I'll be there, where ever there is!

Cook
05-11-2012, 07:50 AM

I'll be there, where ever there is!

What signing are you guys talking about ?

mattgreenbean
05-11-2012, 01:52 PM
I have no idea. HA! But if he does tour, I'll be there.

mae
06-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Sounds a little more serious than I thought it was:

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php/25214-Release-Date?p=525552#post525552

Can you give us any information regarding the reason for the delay? I totally understand, sh*t happens.
Steve needs more time for editing as he doesn't feel it's anywhere near ready for publication. He has a number of projects he's working on so would not be able to accomplish that within the deadline they would need in order to get it ready for production for a January release.

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php/25214-Release-Date?p=525373#post525373

The original announcement of Doctor Sleep for January has had to be revised so we don't yet have the actual release date for that yet. It's still at least tentatively planned for 2013 but the month is in question. Just don't want you to be counting on it being in the first half of 2013.

RichardX
06-04-2012, 11:03 AM
I wonder if an older SK revisiting an earlier work has a greater sensitivity about that undertaking? Maybe tries to hold himself out to a higher standard than if this was an entirely new project. He seems to churn out the new books on a regular basis. It seems a bit odd that they would announce a release date and then indicate he believes it was nowhere near ready for publication.

Stockerlone
07-11-2012, 10:57 AM
Dr. Sleep from Netherland
ISBN 9789024559152
Verwacht 17 april 2013
Prijs € 19,95

http://www.uitgeverijluitingh.nl/components/com_books/images/books/large/9789024559152.jpg
http://www.uitgeverijluitingh.nl/component/option,com_books/task,book/id,5531/Itemid,3/

mae
07-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Wow, a Dutch version already before we know anything about an American version? Cool cover, though. Hopefully the US one is the same or similar (the font for the author's name is the same as on Full Dark, No Stars).

mattgreenbean
07-11-2012, 11:47 AM
I hope the cover looks totally different. Not a fan of it.

Jimimck
07-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Fingers crossed for a MUCH better US/UK cover... That is just boring.

Merlin1958
07-11-2012, 04:28 PM
I hope the cover looks totally different. Not a fan of it.

IDK. Kinda cool in that it reminds me of Room 217, to a degree so I think it ties in well to that as well as the synopsis of the story we have so far in that Danny helps others to the "Other Side" JMHO

Jimimck
07-11-2012, 04:33 PM
I just think the book deserves better (original) artwork. Not saying the idea of the door/"other side" imagery is not a good idea, just that I would hope it could be executed better....

Merlin1958
07-11-2012, 04:36 PM
I just think the book deserves better (original) artwork. Not saying the idea of the door/"other side" imagery is not a good idea, just that I would hope it could be executed better....

Yeah, I see your point and agree with it. It may just be a "marker" cover like with TWTTKH. My post was based on a first impression of it, but I suppose the sequel to "The Shining" does deserve better treatment.

jhanic
07-11-2012, 05:59 PM
I have the feeling it's just a "marker" cover. The actual name, according to Ms Mod at the SKMB, is Doctor Sleep, not Dr. Sleep.

John

biomieg
07-11-2012, 10:19 PM
It is an extremely boring cover IMO. And I wouldn't be surprised if 1) this is going to be the final cover for the Dutch edition (they also released a similar cover for a Shining reprint) and 2) it will be called Dr. Sleep - it's a translation after all.