PDA

View Full Version : DT on stage *main spoilers*

Letti
11-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Some of my dear friends put an image in my head... Roland is standing on the stage and he is chasing the man in black in the desert.
I have no idea who could direct it. I have no idea if it worked or not... but I think it would be way too cool. I can imagine DT on stage.

Yes, I know it's damn long but the DT play would have the best ending ever... just imagine the audience as they are watching our gunslinger stepping through that door... and after some seconds they can see the very first moments of the play again.
I see how hard it would be to put it on stage but it could rock the world.

Okay, am I crazy or is anyone out there who can see this remarkable story on stage?

Jean
11-14-2009, 01:05 PM
I think it has a lot more potential on stage as on the screen. I already said that the only way I can imagine a DT other than the book is a musical; best of all, a rock opera. I can imagine everything very well; just remember West Side Story or Jesus Christ Superstar and you'll see what I am talking about.

Melike
11-14-2009, 01:17 PM
I'd like to see it as a rock opera, too. But I'd also like to see it on the screen.

ola
11-14-2009, 02:57 PM
There's some cool things that could happen because of the lack of cgi post-production (and other limitations). Like with that one play, War Horse. I liked those elaborate, human-controlled horses they used instead of real ones.

Please no singing though. If there was a DT musical I would shoot myself.

flaggwalkstheline
11-14-2009, 03:08 PM
I dunno
DT5 does involve Roland tapdancing...
Icould see it happening

Letti
11-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Rock opera?! I am with Ola. I can't imagine Roland singing. Singing like people do in rock operas.

Jean
11-14-2009, 11:45 PM
I can, easily. If Jesus, Dr.Higgins, or Bill Sikes could sing, why not him?

Letti
11-15-2009, 12:38 AM
I can, easily. If Jesus, Dr.Higgins, or Bill Sikes could sing, why not him?

I don't know. :tries hard: No, it doesn't work. Maybe it doesn't work for me because music isn't so important in my life. There are people who can't live without music and keep listening to something. I prefer silence.
I don't say it wouldn't be kickass. I say my mind can't put it together.

Sickrose
11-15-2009, 01:25 AM
It's an interesting idea thats for sure and the ending acted out would really reinforce the emotions we are felt as we read the last few lines. It could be awesome.

The stage does have limitations but Shakespeare plays had whole armies e.g. Henry V at times and the audience were invited to use thier imagination to 'see it' almost like reading.

Not sure about the singing though although I always imagine them to be quite lighthearted and Roland sure isnt that. I do like music but not really anything from a musical :)

I would hear your ideas on that though Jean :)

candy
11-15-2009, 02:38 AM
i love this idea, because of the live setting and so therefore the lack of special effects an awful lot of the stuff would have to be pared back or cut altogether, so time wise it could fit

in regard to the singing, it doesn't always have to be light hearted; the best musical i saw was jekyl and hyde, and it was f**ing fantastic. they used the music and the light to show the transformation. I even took mr c back and he loved it too and he hates musicals,

Sickrose
11-15-2009, 02:43 AM
Fair enough maybe it's just my limited experience of them. :)

I think the director would have to make a lot of choices about what to include and what to cut I wot.

alinda
11-15-2009, 05:55 AM
I am fasinated by this idea. Letti my dear it never ceases to astound my the way your
mind works...that said awesome thread again, Dark Tower the play gets my vote , perhaps even a musical, tho' I think the music would be so dark, and terrific in parts.:ninja:

Letti
11-15-2009, 06:17 AM
I think the director would have to make a lot of choices about what to include and what to cut I wot.

That would be damn hard but I am sure a good director who respects King and this amazing series could do it.
I wouldn't like to see something like the comics. I would like to see the Dark Tower on stage and not something with a Roland in a totally new story.

I am fascinated by this idea. Letti my dear it never ceases to astound my the way your
mind works...that said awesome thread again, Dark Tower the play gets my vote , perhaps even a musical, tho' I think the music would be so dark, and terrific in parts.:ninja:

Thank you but in fact Jean put the idea into my head. :) So he is the father of the idea.

Anyway do you know why it would be so incredibly good? Because the world could see at last what a big writer Stephen King is. DT on stage could break that 'just-a-horror-writer' image I cannot stand. It can bug me so much.

Sickrose
11-15-2009, 10:16 AM
I agree Letti. The Dark Tower books are just as interesting as the books I study for my literature degree and are just as involved and well written.

stone, rose, unfound door
11-15-2009, 12:06 PM
I agree with Jean about the DT having more potential as a play than as a film. I'm not really huge on musicals though, so I'd rather it was a regular play but I guess it'd suck in French and only 1 crew comes from London to play every year and I'm sure it'd be tough asking them to play that one. Which means, even if there was a play, I'd have to watch it on the internet :(

Jean
11-15-2009, 12:13 PM
How about a ballet, then? No, I am not joking. I don't know if someone watched the famous Khachatourian's ballet Spartacus, but even if nobody did, I am sure you can remember a ballet which renders really deep things, with both passion and stunning elaboration.

I can see TDT as a classical ballet, modern ballet, classical opera, rock opera, musical, symphony, oratorio, cantata, or play; anything, in fact, except a movie.

Letti
11-15-2009, 12:17 PM
How about a ballet, then?

:panic:

I feel I am as deep as a puddle..

Melike
11-15-2009, 12:26 PM
How about a ballet, then? No, I am not joking. I don't know if someone watched the famous Khachatourian's ballet Spartacus, but even if nobody did, I am sure you can remember a ballet which renders really deep things, with both passion and stunning elaboration.

I can see TDT as a classical ballet, modern ballet, classical opera, rock opera, musical, symphony, oratorio, cantata, or play; anything, in fact, except a movie.

I totally agree with this. Jean, I haven't seen that ballet, but I can imagine what you're saying and it is awesome. Dark Tower is a very long story that changes it's face many times. I believe it would be great a mixed show would fit to the nature of the story. For example, the scenes with Susan could be ballet, Jericho Hill scene could be rock opera.:onfire:I think I have to stop here. :D

Letti
11-15-2009, 12:34 PM
anything, in fact, except a movie.

DT as a ballet sounds.. very weird right now still I must say I couldn't agree more.
If I can choose between movie or ballet I go with ballet.

11-15-2009, 12:42 PM
I don't know about a ballet... I'm sure it'd be great but somehow I can't picture it...

Letti
11-15-2009, 12:44 PM
I don't know about a ballet... I'm sure it'd be great but somehow I can't picture it...

I cannot imagine Roland in such tight pants.. I know there are many types of ballet. Jean should tell us what he sees in his head.

11-15-2009, 12:49 PM
I was imagining a classical ballet too, which is why it looked so weird :)
How have you all been ?

Brice
11-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Please don't make the gunslingers wear tutus. :shudders:

Seriously, though I see things exactly as Jean. :D

Jean
11-15-2009, 11:33 PM
You know, there's one important thing that we should keep in mind.

It's not like "Roland is singing", or "Roland is dancing", or "Roland is wearing tight pants".

No. No more than in the book version, Roland "is" that collection of small black letters which make "R" "o" "l" "a" "n" "d".

He is, however, what the singing or dancing stands for, what is expressed by it, just as much as he is what is expressed by the small black letters and their many combinations. (In every case, what we have to do with is a language, and the language never is what it signifies.)

Sickrose
11-16-2009, 01:37 AM
The interesting thing is how the Dark Tower stories can fit diffeent mediums. A film scares me a lot really because it is someone else's vision, whereas other meduims such as Ballet there is more to the viewer's interpretation i think.

What about opera? I studied Don Giovanni for uni and there ending to that is pretty dramatic - the drama could suit DT quite well perhaps?

Brice
11-16-2009, 03:15 AM
You know, there's one important thing that we should keep in mind.

It's not like "Roland is singing", or "Roland is dancing", or "Roland is wearing tight pants".

No. No more than in the book version, Roland "is" that collection of small black letters which make "R" "o" "l" "a" "n" "d".

He is, however, what the singing or dancing stands for, what is expressed by it, just as much as he is what is expressed by the small black letters and their many combinations. (In every case, what we have to do with is a language, and the language never is what it signifies.)

I was kidding, Jean. :lol:

I think an opera could be brilliant.

LadyHitchhiker
11-16-2009, 05:36 AM
I loved Jesus Christ Superstar!!!!!!!! :) :dance:

11-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Opera would sound weird since I think it should be sung in Italian.

Jean
11-20-2009, 12:36 AM
Opera would sound weird since I think it should be sung in Italian.
Yes, it would be abominable, but luckily, it doesn't have to.

11-23-2009, 03:51 PM
But I like it best this way. I always thought Opera in English was weird and French and German just aren't suited for singing. Hence I have to stick to Italian :)

Jean
11-24-2009, 12:45 AM
I always thought the opposite...

Letti
11-24-2009, 12:31 PM
I saw an opera only once in my life.
It was in Hungarian.
I couldn't understand a word.

11-26-2009, 03:23 PM
I always thought the opposite...

You think French and German are better suited for the opera than Italian for real? I guess that's me being old-fashioned then :P

Jean
11-26-2009, 11:29 PM
I don't know what being old-fashioned has to do with that, but I do think that both English, German, and French are better suited for singing (opera or no opera) than Italian for one simple reason that they sound better to my ear.

bartonthegreat
11-27-2009, 12:48 AM
I hear u sickrose. I read King and my GF says"Ohhh Scary" but its not scary its just rad. Im much too desensitized for this shit to effect me:)

alinda
11-27-2009, 11:00 AM
No offence intended....are you bragging or complaining ? :wtf:

12-01-2009, 03:16 PM
I don't know what being old-fashioned has to do with that, but I do think that both English, German, and French are better suited for singing (opera or no opera) than Italian for one simple reason that they sound better to my ear.

I guess I'm too used to Italian to feel this way since my mum's bilingual and I speak some and I've also been there quite a few times :)