PDA

View Full Version : Possible New DT Book from Kings Message Board

CyberGhostface
11-11-2009, 09:30 AM
According to Lilja:

King stated he will write another Dark Tower novel. It will center around supporting characters and revolve around some important events between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla. One fan asked him to make sure Oy comes back, and King said not to worry, that Oy would return.

mae
11-11-2009, 09:33 AM
It's not exactly news, but it's nice to have confirmation to that story from March from the man himself.

I don't think King actually meant that Oy will be back. It was more of a joke, it seemed like to me. He said the new DT novel wouldn't center around the main characters.

Sickrose
11-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Oh my god this is pretty exciting. I didnt know this and hadn't dared to hope he would do another!! :)

mae
11-11-2009, 09:48 AM
To refresh your memories (and this story slipped unnoticed for about half a year actually), here's what King told USA Today in March 2009:

When we were chatting about his upcoming book Under the Dome, a novel with political subtext out in November, King said he had recently had an idea for a short story. “And then I thought, ‘Well, why don’t I find three more like this and do a book that would be almost like modern fairy tales?’ Then this thing started to add on bits and pieces so I guess it will be a novel.” That idea, according to King, is for a new Dark Tower novel, a continuation of his epic seven-part fantasy/sci-fi/Western series about a lone gunslinger named Roland and his ongoing hunt for the Man in Black. “It’s not really done yet,” King admits of his magnum opus. “Those seven books are really sections of one long uber-novel.”

http://blogs.usaweekend.com/whos_news/2009/03/stephen-king-no.html

fernandito
11-11-2009, 09:49 AM
Looking forward to this with much anticipation :)

flaggwalkstheline
11-11-2009, 09:57 AM
so this is gonna be the dark tower equivalent of Star wars: the clone wars
?
sounds fine by me!:clap:

Wuducynn
11-11-2009, 10:04 AM
According to Lilja:

King stated he will write another Dark Tower novel. It will center around supporting characters and revolve around some important events between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla. One fan asked him to make sure Oy comes back, and King said not to worry, that Oy would return.

It's great to have more news about the new DT novel! Thanks Cyber. :harrier:

John_and_Yoko
11-11-2009, 10:18 AM
That article doesn't have a link to "read more".... :(

And it doesn't specifically say that it's set between Volumes IV and V--where did that information come from?

lophophoras
11-11-2009, 10:49 AM

And it doesn't specifically say that it's set between Volumes IV and V--where did that information come from?

I think that he mentioned that last night at the signing in NY.

mae
11-11-2009, 10:54 AM

Because you're already reading more, I think.

turtlex
11-11-2009, 10:55 AM
Yuppers. The time frame of the story - it's mentioned in the UTD thread. I believe David posted.

Now... here's a question - will Sai King follow the canon that's been set-up and established in the DT comics!!??!!

flaggwalkstheline
11-11-2009, 10:58 AM
ohhh I hope not:beat:

turtlex
11-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Well... according to Furth, the comics and their direction are approved by Sai King... so I'd hope he at leasts considers that !?!

Can-Tina
11-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Back when we came up with the "Ka is a Wheel" Dark Tower awareness campaign, I asked Marsha if we could release an official announcement this month. - Remember the November 2009 banner that was up last month. She said that she had not heard anything about the manuscript in a long time, so we just moved on with Discordia.

As it turns out Ka *IS* a Wheel. So anyway, if you remember the banner. It was not just about Discordia.

Brice
11-11-2009, 11:18 AM
You could have....if you did it sooner. :P

J/k

I'm assuming that you are sort of confirming this then? :)

Brainslinger
11-11-2009, 11:20 AM
Due to the setting, (within the time frame of the books) I doubt the comics description of events will crop up much.It will be interesting to see if he makes any reference to those events though...

Considering it's based around supporting characters, I wonder who they'll be? More about Callahan and/or Toren? (But the Faddah was quite a primary character in the end. And chronologically his stuff was over with quite a while before the present day stuff of Wizard and Glass. Still time is weird in that world...

Oh and it IS news to me! I read that there would be another Dark Tower book a while ago, but none of these specifics!

flaggwalkstheline
11-11-2009, 11:22 AM
maybe a book about walter's mechanations!:excited:

Wuducynn
11-11-2009, 11:27 AM
about Callahan and/or Toren?

I'm thinking along those lines too.

Merlin1958
11-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Wouldn't be surprised, given the general time-frame, if Parkus, Sawyer and /or Tyler Marshall got in there somewhere. Maybe just wishful thinking though.

Brice
11-11-2009, 11:31 AM
It will actually be seven volumes of DT erotica.

:rofl:

flaggwalkstheline
11-11-2009, 12:03 PM

:rofl:

so he's co-writing it with anne rice then?:rock::wtf:

CyberGhostface
11-11-2009, 12:14 PM
maybe a book about walter's mechanations!:excited:

Hopefully King reveals that the Walter that met up with Mordred was a FlaggBot, and after Roland went through the Tower and the Crimson King was defeated, the real Walter snuck in and took over.

nocny
11-11-2009, 01:23 PM
According to Lilja:

I think there's an error, it would take place between Wizard and Glass and Little Sisters Of Eluria.

Brainslinger
11-11-2009, 01:41 PM
I think there's an error, it would take place between Wizard and Glass and Little Sisters Of Eluria.

I thought they probably meant the present day stuff of Wizard and Glass. Besides, although most of it is set in the past, there is a sense that due the thinny, both the past and present have converged in a sense. So in affect the present day ka-tet are experiencing the events in a much stronger sense than maybe they would in an ordinary narration.

nocny
11-11-2009, 01:54 PM
wizardsrainbow wrote today:

Biggest news is that King stated that he has another DT story in him to tell...Roland's adventures after Wizard and Glass until LSOE. No dates or anything given, but sounds like he will write a novel about the fall of Gilead, battle of Jerricho Hill, and Roland's start on the quest for the Dark Tower.

I think it would have much more sense than new book that throws us in the middle of events from 5th book of saga.

CyberGhostface
11-11-2009, 02:09 PM
If that's true, then hopefully it will get rid of the bad taste that Furth left on the series.

flaggwalkstheline
11-11-2009, 02:52 PM
If that's true, then hopefully it will get rid of the bad taste that Furth left on the series.

amen to that!

theyspunaweb
11-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Wow this is so exciting! I might hold off on re-reading the books until this comes out then. Maybe.

Myste
11-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Amazingly exciting indeed!!! Can't wait for the outcome of this :rock::thumbsup:

John Blaze
11-11-2009, 03:24 PM

amen to that! and..........TRI-FECTA!~

Wow this is so exciting! I might hold off on re-reading the books until this comes out then. Maybe.
I used to reread them all the time, and now I haven't read them in about a year...... weird.

Brainslinger
11-11-2009, 05:14 PM
I used to reread them all the time, and now I haven't read them in about a year...... weird.

Especially when you consider the word 'weird' comes from the Anglo-saxon word 'wyrd' which roughly translates: destiny. Like a certain other word in the Dark Tower books...

Or maybe I'm just easily fascinated.

ola
11-11-2009, 06:32 PM
So so happy about this.

pixiedark76
11-11-2009, 07:00 PM
I hope that somewhere in there it includes the story about Dennis and Thomas (from Eyes of the Dragon) and the story about what happened when they caught up with Randall Flagg. I have wanted to know more about this story, it has me very curious.

flaggwalkstheline
11-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Patrick Danville?
crosses fingers and spins around 7 times, spits 19 times

CyberGhostface
11-11-2009, 07:39 PM
I hope that somewhere in there it includes the story about Dennis and Thomas (from Eyes of the Dragon) and the story about what happened when they caught up with Randall Flagg. I have wanted to know more about this story, it has me very curious.

Same here.

Thomas should be the one to have killed Flagg, given their history together. Even moreso than Roland, I would argue. He personally ruined Thomas's life much more than he did Roland's.

flaggwalkstheline
11-11-2009, 08:02 PM

He personally ruined Thomas's life much more than he did Roland's.

I dunno he screwed Roland's mom and helped facilitate the destruction of gilead and the death of all of roland's companions and that was just for starters...

Sam
11-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Per Ms. Mod on the SKMB. (http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php?p=339894#post339894)

Stephen has given me permission to pass along that he has an idea for a new Dark Tower book, the working title of which will be THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE. He has not yet started this book and anticipates that it will be a minimum of eight months before he is able to begin writing it.

CyberGhostface
11-11-2009, 08:35 PM
I dunno he screwed Roland's mom and helped facilitate the destruction of gilead and the death of all of roland's companions and that was just for starters...

But that wasn't all of Flagg's doing--John Farson and the Crimson King both presumably played a major role as well.

In contrast, with Eyes, it was Flagg and Flagg alone. Not only did Flagg murder both of Thomas's parents, he had his brother imprisoned for most of his life and pretty much made Thomas his bitch, running Delain into the ground in the process and forcing Thomas to flee when it was all over. There's also a greater sense of betrayal as Flagg was the closest thing Thomas had to a friend throughout his childhood when everyone else neglected him.

Spencer
11-11-2009, 08:37 PM
It will actually be seven volumes of DT erotica.:rofl:

So, just when you're about to orgasm, you wake up fully clothed in the restaurant and have to pay for dinner again?

Spencer
11-11-2009, 08:39 PM
from stephenking.com:

“Stephen has announced that he has an idea for a new Dark Tower book, the working title of which will be THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE. He has not yet started this book and anticipates that it will be a minimum of eight months before he is able to begin writing it.”

Spencer
11-11-2009, 08:40 PM

Amen to that.

CyberGhostface
11-11-2009, 08:42 PM
It will actually be seven volumes of DT erotica.:rofl:

So, just when you're about to orgasm, you wake up fully clothed in the restaurant and have to pay for dinner again?

Or, just when you're about to orgasm, your girlfriend starts screaming "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!" and some guy breaks into your room and has sex with her instead while you just watch.

Beambounder
11-11-2009, 08:58 PM
I knew he would write another Dark Tower Book. I was at The Times Center signing.It was a dream come true; and he was very amusing and interesting; no surprise,-yet it was great to be able to ask him a question and receive a rich, and friendly answer. In a sense, all of Sai King's novels are related to The Dark Tower. Each is just a sub-beam or magnification of a time or a place. Microcosms, within macrocosms. It is all part of the incredible ever more BELIEVEABLE, universes that he continually constructs,remodels, and adds extra details to. Long Days and Pleasant Nights to all of you wondrous followers. Peace

flaggwalkstheline
11-11-2009, 09:22 PM

But that wasn't all of Flagg's doing--John Farson and the Crimson King both presumably played a major role as well.

In contrast, with Eyes, it was Flagg and Flagg alone. Not only did Flagg murder both of Thomas's parents, he had his brother imprisoned for most of his life and pretty much made Thomas his bitch, running Delain into the ground in the process and forcing Thomas to flee when it was all over. There's also a greater sense of betrayal as Flagg was the closest thing Thomas had to a friend throughout his childhood when everyone else neglected him.

He banged Roland's mom
Case closed

:P

ola
11-12-2009, 12:11 AM
Or, just when you're about to orgasm, your girlfriend starts screaming "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!" and some guy breaks into your room and has sex with her instead while you just watch.

I had to try hard not to laugh out loud when I read this.

Lilja
11-12-2009, 01:18 AM
According to Lilja:

No, it's between the 4th and 5th book. Check out the clip from yesterday on my site and you'll her it from King himself.

Lilja

DanishCollector
11-12-2009, 01:41 AM
I still don't agree all King's novels (or short stories) are part of the DT universe. Where, for example, does Firestarter or The Reach, fit in? I think it's an understatement many claim. There's a lot of King work that has nothing to do with the Tower at all, but there are a few novels that do...

johnny39
11-12-2009, 07:07 AM
According to Lilja:

No, it's between the 4th and 5th book. Check out the clip from yesterday on my site and you'll her it from King himself.

Lilja

This could mean either the time between Flagg's disappearance in W&G and when he comes back, or (more likely IMO), between the events of Mejis and Jericho Hill, which is written about in Wolves.

It would be great if he told the story of Flagg. He kinda goes away after W&G and doesn't appear again (if I remember right) until the last book.

flaggwalkstheline
11-12-2009, 07:54 AM
I still don't agree all King's novels (or short stories) are part of the DT universe. Where, for example, does Firestarter or The Reach, fit in? I think it's an understatement many claim. There's a lot of King work that has nothing to do with the Tower at all, but there are a few novels that do...

I think firestarter is pretty obvious: charlene mcgee is a powerful breaker
alot of his stories retroactively fit in with the DT stories havent read the reach in a long time so not sure about that one...

nocny
11-12-2009, 09:16 AM

Lilja

Yeah I saw it, thanks :) Well, wizardsrainbow had to misheard it.

mae
11-12-2009, 09:19 AM
That was fast. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_Through_the_Keyhole)

Wuducynn
11-12-2009, 10:07 AM
This just in
Stephen has given me permission to pass along that he has an idea for a new Dark Tower book, the working title of which will be THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE. He has not yet started this book and anticipates that it will be a minimum of eight months before he is able to begin writing it.

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15640

Ruthful
11-12-2009, 10:10 AM

Hot.

flaggwalkstheline
11-12-2009, 11:32 AM
so I gotta question
what r we gonna call this book numberwise?
DT4 and a half?

Brice
11-12-2009, 11:36 AM
It will be events between Wizard & Glass and The Dark Tower. I am sure of it. :cyclops:

John_and_Yoko
11-12-2009, 11:57 AM
so I gotta question
DT4 and a half?

Who says it's going to be numbered? :P

flaggwalkstheline
11-12-2009, 11:59 AM
so I gotta question
DT4 and a half?

Who says it's going to be numbered? :P

:scared:

John_and_Yoko
11-12-2009, 11:59 AM
Was "The Little Sisters of Eluria" numbered? :P

LBD 3
11-12-2009, 01:01 PM
You never know this might be the third Talisman book we've been waiting for

Brice
11-12-2009, 02:02 PM
I'm pretty sure that's a separate project and a little furthur down the line.

TLC
11-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Yes! I want more Cuthbert and Alain!

boehmke
11-12-2009, 09:35 PM
THE WIND THROUGH THE KEYHOLE (http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15640)

Not much more to say then that :ninja:

John Blaze
11-12-2009, 09:36 PM
sorry dude, about 3 threads beat you to it.

but no worries, I'm sure it'll be merged shortly. :)

boehmke
11-12-2009, 09:51 PM
Doh! I was so excited too! I just got back online (had a very nasty virus...on the computer not me :P ) and it was the first thing I read.

Oh well. Glad the word is out :)

mystima
11-12-2009, 10:03 PM
LSOE was when Roland was with Cuthbert and Alain. this new one i hope is about how patrick gets into this world. they never say when he crossed over or how it happened. it could allude to what the breakers are up to or even more......:drool::drool::drool:

flaggwalkstheline
11-12-2009, 10:12 PM
LSOE was when Roland was with Cuthbert and Alain. this new one i hope is about how patrick gets into this world. they never say when he crossed over or how it happened. it could allude to what the breakers are up to or even more......:drool::drool::drool:

I agree and wanna see more patrick!
but LSOE was roland after the fall of gilead and prior to the begining of the gunslinger the start of the loop

John Blaze
11-13-2009, 12:37 AM
well glad you're back online, at least. :)

Tvmorbid
11-13-2009, 02:25 AM
Was "The Little Sisters of Eluria" numbered? :P

No, but that was a short story in a collection, as far as I can tell King is making this a book all by itself, so it should have a number I feel.

And also: YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAH !

Brice
11-13-2009, 05:46 AM
Hell, it could be the DT VIII just as easily. After all time is not precisely linear in the story.

sofaki
11-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Yes! I want more Cuthbert and Alain!

Me too :thumbsup:

Wuducynn
11-13-2009, 09:06 AM
Welcome back to the world wide internets Boehmke, oh favorite DT artist after Michael Whelan. :harrier:

Brice
11-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Yeah, maybe Boehmke should illustrate the new DT book. :orely:

Melike
11-13-2009, 10:09 AM
Yeah, maybe Boehmke should illustrate the new DT book. :orely:
Definitely that would be so awesome.

Letti
11-13-2009, 11:10 AM
boehmke, you can start any thread any time.

Jean
11-13-2009, 11:26 AM
Welcome back to the world wide internets Boehmke, oh favorite DT artist after Michael Whelan. :harrier:
Boehmke and Darek Kocurek are bears' favorite. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

pathoftheturtle
11-13-2009, 12:26 PM
Couldn't he just ret-con the numbering of all later-set volumes upward?

ola
11-13-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm hoping that it will be during the Wizard and Glass/Jericho Hill timeline, just because I'm a broken record and would enjoy more prequel type stuff, set around the tail end of Gilead. (I'm guessing this won't be the case because I know Roland won't be in it. Unless King is reading my mind and finds a way to work Cuthbert into a new book...does he count as a main character?)

Will resist another jab at Furth though. :evil:

Jean
11-13-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm hoping that it will be during the Wizard and Glass/Jericho Hill timeline <...>
I so hope it won't be! I want me the ka-tet!

ola
11-13-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm hoping that it will be during the Wizard and Glass/Jericho Hill timeline <...>
I so hope it won't be! I want me the ka-tet!

I know, I know. We live in a divided forum.. :lol:

Brainslinger
11-14-2009, 01:01 PM

He could but I don't think he should.

I think he should just leave it unnumbered. Besides, the Dark Tower books are more known for their individual titles rather than their numbers anyway*. The only time people seem to refer to the book by number is in reference to the last book The Dark Tower, probably to make specific that it's DT7 they're referring to rather than the whole saga.

*The exception seems to be when the new books first came out. Mainly because we hadn't seen any for a while I guess, and we didn't know what the titles would be in the early days.

Jean
11-14-2009, 01:16 PM

Hear, hear.

The book is over, and it consists of the 7 volumes we know. The saga, the series, the lore, the mythos, whatever, may go on forever (yes, I do wish - and hope! - Sai King would live forever), but there's only one Captain Blood: His Odyssey. The rest is The Chronicles of Captain Blood.

TetCorp
11-14-2009, 02:45 PM

I think he should just leave it unnumbered.

+1

As far as the timeline goes, it can be any. Just as most events in WoG fall in the long ago, shortly after Roland won his guns, alot takes place in the here and now. When times wonky, and you are dealing with multiple worlds, anything's possible. Which time around the wheel is it anyway? Perhaps this takes place between WoG and WotC, but perhaps this time around Roland has the horn? Who knows how many other differences there might be as well? That could be interesting.

At some point, though, I'd love to see King write more about the Tet Corporation.

Merlin1958
11-14-2009, 05:10 PM

I think he should just leave it unnumbered. Besides, the Dark Tower books are more known for their individual titles rather than their numbers anyway*. The only time people seem to refer to the book by number is in reference to the last book The Dark Tower, probably to make specific that it's DT7 they're referring to rather than the whole saga.

*The exception seems to be when the new books first came out. Mainly because we hadn't seen any for a while I guess, and we didn't know what the titles would be in the early days.

You know, you and Jean make some execellent points however, I think (if memory serves, I'll have to check) that 5 thru 7 are actually numbered. So it does present somewhat of a dilemma. Having said that though, 1-7 do represent the original "Roland" story and should'nt slight future DT junkies if #8 wasn't read in true chronological in order (of course I'm ASSUMING based on published reports). My personal take is something along the lines of LOTR and "the Silmarrillon" etc. You can read 1-7 without any loss and if you want to go back to Mid-world for "more", then you read #8. Of course from a collecting standpoint this does present problems (and cost mucho $$$) if he does re-number them.

And of course LSOE kinda got farmed in as a "true DT story" anyway. Sooooo, maybe in the long run it doesn't really mean a whole lot. As long as we get the friggin' book!!!! Am I right?

TheCrisisKing
11-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Am I the only one worried about this?

Brainslinger
11-14-2009, 06:07 PM

In what way?

The numbering?
The book won't live up to your expectations?
Or do you think King should just leave the books alone now he has finished 7?

I think the second is always an issue with a new book. I generally seem to like most of the Stephen King books I've read, although I'm sometimes disappointed by some outcomes. (Some of book 7 for example I wish had happened differently. Not the very end though.) It's not an altogether bad feeling though just all part of the expectation.

As for the last question, I think I would have more concerns if it were set after 7. In a new loop for example... although I'm curious and I'd probably read it too. The fact that it is set between two of the books and appears to be centred around other characters alleviates those concerns somewhat though. The seven books are done. They're set in stone (unless they're revised anyhoo.), but there are plenty of gaps that could be filled in.

TheCrisisKing
11-14-2009, 06:46 PM
I mean, i think The Tower is done

Sam
11-14-2009, 07:50 PM
I disagree with you, flaggwalkstheline, that Charlie is a breaker. I imagine she's something similar to a breaker, but I believe her power works differently.

John Blaze
11-14-2009, 09:38 PM
But Sam, if you remember our friend Ted didn't just have the ability to break, he could also form a power with his mind to hurt people, as well as being able to read peoples minds. It is very possible, IMO, for charlie to have become a breaker.

BeDaN
11-14-2009, 09:51 PM
I believe there's a part when the ka-tet asks whatever happened to Rhea and how he lost the belt his mother gave him. The gunslinger said something about catching up to Rhea later on, but "that's a story for another time" I'd actually like to hear how that went.

Jean
11-14-2009, 11:50 PM

In what way?

The numbering?
The book won't live up to your expectations?

I am mostly afraid it will be about all the wrong things, like W&G was...

John Blaze
11-15-2009, 01:26 AM

In what way?

Mostly that. At this point I feel like the only way this could be a good thing is if he does a dt only version of Hearts in Atlantis. Even that way, the prospect is scary, and I'm starting to feel like the cash cow that Sk keeps trying to milk. I lost a little bit of my (love?/respect?/confidence in?/trust in?) SK when they announced this. Now I'm just hoping it's good.

Randall Flagg
11-16-2009, 06:53 AM
I merged these threads. Since it isn't official yet-and there is lots of storyline speculation, it should be discussed here in Gilead.

flaggwalkstheline
11-16-2009, 09:30 AM

In what way?

Mostly that. At this point I feel like the only way this could be a good thing is if he does a dt only version of Hearts in Atlantis. Even that way, the prospect is scary, and I'm starting to feel like the cash cow that Sk keeps trying to milk. I lost a little bit of my (love?/respect?/confidence in?/trust in?) SK when they announced this. Now I'm just hoping it's good.

I doon't feel like a cashcow, the darktower stories have never been stephen king's most popular stories and a new one (which I find very exciting) is not going to sell anywhere near as much as something like under the dome, a new darktower book isn't milking a cashcow, its a gift to the hardcore fans like us :rose:

John Blaze
11-17-2009, 12:37 AM
Well, that's a different perspective, and it's something to think about. Still though, idk, call me stupid or whatever, but when someone tells you there's gonna be seven, and you buy all seven, and then he says 8, it makes me feel like I'm being led on. Why not just say it was an open thing. Jean Auel started her Earth's Children series as a trilogy, but later said it was too big a story, and left it open ended. That's fine. Maybe I'm just being too picky. I can't help how I feel, though, and it leaves a dirty taste in my mouth, is all I'm saying.

gsvec
11-17-2009, 06:54 AM
It may have been mentioned upthread, but I'm too lazy right now to go back and look. :P

In Sarasota last night, SK said there WILL be another DT book called "Wind Through the Keyhole" (maybe not "Wind"??), and that it would fall between Wastelands and W&G. Thinking we'd call it DT 3.5? :D

pathoftheturtle
11-17-2009, 01:48 PM
Well, that's a different perspective, and it's something to think about. Still though, idk, call me stupid or whatever, but when someone tells you there's gonna be seven, and you buy all seven, and then he says 8, it makes me feel like I'm being led on. Why not just say it was an open thing. Jean Auel started her Earth's Children series as a trilogy, but later said it was too big a story, and left it open ended. That's fine. Maybe I'm just being too picky. I can't help how I feel, though, and it leaves a dirty taste in my mouth, is all I'm saying.Ah, but I recall King often writing specifically that it would be "seven or eight volumes"!

Brice
11-17-2009, 02:28 PM
True! He did say that at one point at least. He has also just said seven at other times. Either way I'm cool with it. :)

Aki
11-17-2009, 03:14 PM
I am both scared and excited. I wouldn't want the book concerning the main characters too much (or at all), but stories revolving around the sidecharacters may seem VERY cheap and easy - "the story of Callahan before he met the ka-tet" for example, that could never make a novel!

Hum. No, seriously, these are good news, if the novel isn't forced, if he is inspired, if he hears Ves-ka Gan. I both hope for one longer, bigger story and several shorter (like a short story collection), but I don't know which I want the most. I wouldn't mind one set long before the fall of Gilead (and Roland's birth), maybe concerning his ancestors and so on.

Merlin1958
11-17-2009, 07:05 PM
I mean, i think The Tower is done

All due respect, the Tower is done when Stephen King says it is!!! And not before, whatever folks may think. He is the creator, therefore the last word.

Whether we (or you) like it or not that's just the way it is. Of course everyone is entitled to his or her opinion and can choose whether or not to read it or accept it as canon but, that will nevertheless be a "choice" and therefore not an absolute.

Does that make sense?

Merlin1958
11-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Well, that's a different perspective, and it's something to think about. Still though, idk, call me stupid or whatever, but when someone tells you there's gonna be seven, and you buy all seven, and then he says 8, it makes me feel like I'm being led on. Why not just say it was an open thing. Jean Auel started her Earth's Children series as a trilogy, but later said it was too big a story, and left it open ended. That's fine. Maybe I'm just being too picky. I can't help how I feel, though, and it leaves a dirty taste in my mouth, is all I'm saying.Ah, but I recall King often writing specifically that it would be "seven or eight volumes"!

Actually, and I cannot swear to this, but I very distinctly remember reading an early version of books 1 or 2. where King said it was gonna be a 10 book story. Now I was reading him as he came out at the time and this memory is firmly imbedded (and frequently rebuted) but, I can not get it out. Somewhere, I recall SK stating that the DT was 10 books long and then later shortened but, as I said it could be the declining mind of the aged responsible for this memory. I just can't shake the memory that 10 books seemed a monumental undertaking, as well as daunting to a writer, even of SK's caliber
at the time but, i could obviously be very wrong.

O Hyperborean Wanderer
11-18-2009, 09:08 AM
I'm excited. I've often felt that the whole story hadn't been told and while I don't despise Furth as much as others, I don't find the comics quite as satisfying, either.

I find the timing of "in about eight months" very telling. This would put Sai King at beginning this project right around the time LOST is wrapping up . . . and what significance does LOST wrapping up have to do with DT?

Discuss . . .

pathoftheturtle
11-18-2009, 12:10 PM
...stories revolving around the sidecharacters may seem VERY cheap and easy - "the story of Callahan before he met the ka-tet" for example, that could never make a novel!
...Um... 'Salem's Lot ...? :wtf:

John Blaze
11-18-2009, 12:32 PM
i'm pretty sure he was joking, Path.

Xicon
11-18-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm excited. I've often felt that the whole story hadn't been told and while I don't despise Furth as much as others, I don't find the comics quite as satisfying, either.

I find the timing of "in about eight months" very telling. This would put Sai King at beginning this project right around the time LOST is wrapping up . . . and what significance does LOST wrapping up have to do with DT?

Discuss . . .

I may be wrong, but I am fairly certain that Abrams and Lindelof (who optioned the film for... $19, of course) said they plan to start production on the Dark Tower film/film series once LOST has concluded. Plus, King loves Lost... if he is anything like myself, he can't think of anything else while new episodes are airing.

Aki
11-18-2009, 03:22 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with the finale of Lost. After all, Abrams has said he doesn't think he'll do DT for several years if he does it at all... and I agree partly but not entirely, it shouldn't be rushed but really inspired. I rather see a great film / tv series in 15 years than a bad Hollywood cheesy shitload next christmas.

Woofer
11-18-2009, 04:22 PM
Maybe it will be the DT version of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.

osseolax28
11-18-2009, 09:06 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with the finale of Lost. After all, Abrams has said he doesn't think he'll do DT for several years if he does it at all... and I agree partly but not entirely, it shouldn't be rushed but really inspired. I rather see a great film / tv series in 15 years than a bad Hollywood cheesy shitload next christmas.

Why a t.v. series? Stations like FOX would get their grubby little shit stained hands on it and mess it up.

Aki
11-19-2009, 01:38 AM
Why a t.v. series? Stations like FOX would get their grubby little shit stained hands on it and mess it up.
I know. But imagine a mini series in the style of The Shining and The Stand. I would be happy with that, although I'd prefer a Lord of the Ring-size film for each book.

Wu Yun
11-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Aww....I was hoping for something else. Oh well. I'd like to know what it is that happened to the belt that Roland's mother made for him before he shot her. Remember, he says it bears on their path to the Tower?:arg:

Aki
11-20-2009, 01:26 AM
Aww....I was hoping for something else. Oh well. I'd like to know what it is that happened to the belt that Roland's mother made for him before he shot her. Remember, he says it bears on their path to the Tower?:arg:
Hearing that story would be incredible. I'm hoping for five hundred page stories, including the one of Roland hunting down Rhea... I just hope there won't be too many connections to the original Dark Tower novel(s).

Merlin1958
11-21-2009, 09:51 AM

Discuss . . .

There may be more significance in the 8 months in light of the recent optioning of UTD to Spielberg & Dreamworks and their search for a writer as well as, Discordia and the varied Comic Arc's being released than "Lost" but, that could very well be a little "Bonus" to the schedule.

osseolax28
11-22-2009, 09:20 PM
I know. But imagine a mini series in the style of The Shining and The Stand. I would be happy with that, although I'd prefer a Lord of the Ring-size film for each book.

While i do love those two mini series, i'm just really afraid it could be messed too easily. i think they either make 6 or 7 really good movies like LOTR, or not make anything at all. but thats just me and we're way off topic...

I hope the new book is about Jericho Hill and things centered around the fall of Gilead.

flaggwalkstheline
11-22-2009, 09:33 PM

While i do love those two mini series, i'm just really afraid it could be messed too easily. i think they either make 6 or 7 really good movies like LOTR, or not make anything at all. but thats just me and we're way off topic...

I hope the new book is about Jericho Hill and things centered around the fall of Gilead.

What if
Patrick Danville went back in time and was accidentally instrumental in the destruction of the gilead?:scared:

that would be sooooo cool

Russ
11-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Part of me is hoping for the fall of Gilead and Jericho Hill, but I also wanna read about The Ka-Tet, Flagg and the Crimson King again so bad.

Odd for me this new book was annouced when it was. Me and a few friends were talking about how we're all going through withdraw (the comics don't do it for me).

Jean
11-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Odd for me this new book was annouced when it was. Me and a few friends were talking about how we're all going through withdraw (the comics don't do it for me).
ah! so it's you and your friends who are thinking the universe into existence! (I often wondered who it was)

Russ
11-23-2009, 09:28 PM
ah! so it's you and your friends who are thinking the universe into existence! (I often wondered who it was)

No, not them. Just me. Can't give them any credit.

Jean
11-24-2009, 12:23 AM
Now please concentrate on the content of the future book. It should be about the main (aka second) ka-tet, and - partly - some crucial points like Jericho Hill and the like. I have more wishes, but I'll express them after you're through with this one, which seems the most important at the moment.

sleeplessdwarf
11-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Not sure when the Grant newsletter came to my email, forgot to look at the date, but really? I thought I was done and now there could be more? I'm sure this is floating around here somewhere already, but I have been away for a bit, and this story caught me by surprise.

Stephen King has announced that he has an idea for a new Dark
Tower book, the working title of which will be THE WIND
THROUGH THE KEYHOLE. He has not yet started this book
and anticipates that it will be a minimum of eight months
before he is able to begin writing it.

This is all the information we have. Please do not call or email
us for further information. We don’t have any.
me by surprise.