PDA

View Full Version : The Wind Through the Keyhole-Collecting Discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12

LostAlivE
03-11-2012, 09:03 AM
I have already started reading the Grant edition and I must say it is very good. Tim Ross is outstanding character in the book. I know after I have finished reading it I am going to wished there would be another book about Tim kinda like Jack Sawyer in The Talisman and Black House.

wizardsrainbow
03-12-2012, 06:31 AM
I got this from my UK contact:

David, my contact at Hodder tells me they are not doing proofs this time around, for TWTTK.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Ari_Racing
03-12-2012, 06:32 AM
I got the same info from my source. :)

jhanic
03-12-2012, 07:15 AM
I've heard the same thing.

John

herbertwest
03-12-2012, 08:39 AM
ditto.

divemaster
03-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Well, my Grant limited edition arrived today! #464.

At least I assume that's what's in the box. I'm not actually going to open it until later.

Ricky
03-12-2012, 01:20 PM
I demand pics! :panic:

e_taylor
03-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Been out of the loop for a while now. So both the AEs and S/Ls are shipping?

I'm surprised I haven't seen any online yet!

divemaster
03-12-2012, 02:21 PM
I demand pics! :panic:

Here's s few...

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8566/twttk4641.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84/twttk4641.jpg/)

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8903/twttk4642.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/220/twttk4642.jpg/)

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4213/twttk4643.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/526/twttk4643.jpg/)

Huh, not sure why they are showing up as thumbnails. Usually the link from Imageshack provides large pictures. Anyway, I'll wrok on it later. Right now I'm being summoned for dinner. (FIXED!)

tippy4
03-12-2012, 02:52 PM
I assume you ordered only a S/L?

According to the newsletter, they were shipping the AEs, then the S/Ls, and then the combo orders.

This policy wrangles me a bit.

"We're going to ship the books to the folks who spent the least $ first, then the second-least, and the folks who sent us the most $ get their stuff last.

Not trying to be elitest....but it seems like publisher's consistenly send out the higher dollar orders last.

Ricky
03-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Thank you (and Congrats)! It looks great. I can't wait to see them enlarged.

Jimimck
03-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Try living overseas and having to wait for your items to be delivered! I haven't received my AE edition yet while people are getting their S/L's. Its just the way it goes I guess. I don't think how much a person pays for their book should impact on the publishers shipping policy....

divemaster
03-12-2012, 03:24 PM

According to the newsletter, they were shipping the AEs, then the S/Ls, and then the combo orders.

"We're going to ship the books to the folks who spent the least $ first, then the second-least, and the folks who sent us the most $ get their stuff last.

Not trying to be elitest....but it seems like publisher's consistenly send out the higher dollar orders last.

You surmise correctly. I only ordered the S/L.

I can't figure the photos right now. Imageshack is the glitchiest thing.

Randall Flagg
03-12-2012, 03:27 PM

I feel your frustration, but in defense of Grant Books, the S/L wasn't ready to be shipped. They sent out single AE orders first as the books were ready to be shipped-why delay shipping them until after the S/L's are ready?
Next they are sending S/L orders (now that the S/L is ready), and then they are sending the combo orders (presumptively in the same box) to save members on the shipping charge.
It "prickles" me a bit too, not only that, but why not send out the higher Zipcode #'s first (give buyers in California, Hawaii etc. a fair chance), but sooner or later they have to decide a shipping method and priority.
I am not selling mine, but it also favors single S/L buyers who live closest to DMG. I comfort myself by knowing that on a brilliantly blue sky "cold day". It's 70 degrees here....

skyofcrack
03-12-2012, 03:34 PM
They're a small group over there at Grant and they have to send out the books the best way for them. The AE only orders would be the easiest and quickest to send out. The S/L would take longer.

All my Grant books have ALWAYS arrived in perfect condition over the years. It's always worth the wait.

All good things... :)

neosatus
03-12-2012, 10:57 PM

I completely agree. For a long time I had in my head FEBRUARY and that was when I'd be able to read the new DT book. Now it's mid-March and it's looking like there's still some waiting ahead...
If I don't get my order before April I'm going to be livid. Had I known they would be handling orders this way I would have placed two orders so that I could get my AE asap. I spent nearly $600 and I don't know why I'm having to wait so long. :(

Tito_Villa
03-13-2012, 12:32 AM
Yeah i probably wouldn't have ordered the AE if i knew it wasn't going to get to me before the trade was out!

skyofcrack
03-13-2012, 01:03 AM
Books like this are almost always delayed from their initial announcement. Sometimes the Limited gets delayed until after the Trade Edition. Read the e-mails from Grant. The updates tell you everything that's going on. The S/L's started shipping on the 6th but they can only pack up 10 per hour so even if they work an 8-hour shift that's 80 books per day. It would take at least 10 days to ship them all and some will be packed with the AE, some will be foreign, etc...Plus, they're going out via Media Mail Insured which is the slowest way a package can travel. Worst cast scenario, the last of the S/L's goes out around the 20th and is received around the end of March. Still, nearly a full month before the Scribner release.

Greg
03-13-2012, 01:56 AM
I can understand the frustration but give a thought to the unfortunates who can't secure/don't qualify for the Limited. I have 3 Ltd's on order from Grant $1000 worth and living in England I don't expect to get mine 'til maybe early April, not a problem because I know I will get them unlike some. Just a thought.....................

Nerak
03-13-2012, 02:59 AM
We have now shipped out AE orders that were placed through March 1st. The deluxe orders ship by number, not who lives closer. We start at the beginning and work our way up. That is the way it's always been done, that's probably the way we will always do it.
Please remember that we are a staff of 2 people. One doing all the paperwork and the other doing all the packing. We can only work as fast as we can. We are not machines. We are humans. Please try to have patience with us. It's a product worth waiting for.

jhanic
03-13-2012, 03:24 AM
Well said, Karen!

John

ELazansky
03-13-2012, 03:32 AM
We have now shipped out AE orders that were placed through March 1st. The deluxe orders ship by number, not who lives closer. We start at the beginning and work our way up. That is the way it's always been done, that's probably the way we will always do it.
Please remember that we are a staff of 2 people. One doing all the paperwork and the other doing all the packing. We can only work as fast as we can. We are not machines. We are humans. Please try to have patience with us. It's a product worth waiting for.

I haven't seen a charge for my AE yet, but I assume that was due to the issues with my credit card. Hopefully it will be on its way soon.

e_taylor
03-13-2012, 07:21 AM
Its a long shot at this point, but if anyone has a lead on a PC copy of the S/L - I want it!

mistercrowley
03-13-2012, 07:44 AM
I hesitate to order through Grant directly. The biggest turn off for me is the insistence on not contacting them regardless of whatever concerns you may have because it will slow them down. I'm sorry but if I'm paying you for a product you better be answering my questions instead of dismissing me outright because I'm taking up your valuable time or slowing you down. If a company doesnt have enough employees to handle customer inquiries that's on them. I'll buy the books through a third party.

mae
03-13-2012, 08:02 AM
Never had trouble buying the books directly from Grant. Bought each DT book since Wizard and Glass from them.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Grant is one of the better small publishers. I am still waiting for books I've paid for YEARS ago, from other publishers.

mistercrowley
03-13-2012, 09:01 AM
They may be one of the better publishers but their policy on contacting them is ridiculous. God forbid I have a question about an item. You don't tell your customers not to contact you because your busy.

Robert Fulman
03-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Last month, I ordered a dust jacket from Grant. They looked for it but couldn't find it, and sent me an email asking if I would mind receiving a jacket that had already been folded (which makes me wonder how much they would sell me that now-jacketless book for) or if I would prefer a refund. It's not like poor customer service is a general rule for them. I just imagine that Karen is tired of answering questions like "When will my book arrive?" or "Has my book shipped yet?" or "Are the AEs numbered?", which are all questions that are answered in the newsletters or online. Of course, it's your perogative to spend your money wherever you want.

mistercrowley
03-13-2012, 09:29 AM
I think they'd be better off providing a tracking number for the books. That would cut down significantly on the questions of where and whether a book has shipped.

Ari_Racing
03-13-2012, 03:26 PM
It's understandable that DG can't reply every single mail or question about your order and alike at this moment, when they're taking care of more than 1000 orders, when they're shipping a collector's book, not just a paperback one which can easily be replaced in case of damage (plus it'd be cheap). They're a small publisher that always made excellent editions, so they'll always have my patience and credit. I don't know, maybe I'm used to these "delays" mentioned by collectors in this thread since I always have them due to the international shipping, but well...it's just my opinion.

I don't think anything will change in my life if I have to wait two more weeks for a book, but the people at DMG will have one less email to reply and, with the amount of work they're having, that'd probably make a difference (As a person who has been working on his own for some time know (at this moment I'm currently taking care of three different entrepreneurs and I have a fourth one in sight), I understand how hard it's when your business is small, to do EVERYTHING everyone expects when your day has the same amount of hours than everyone else. It's not like you have a secretary of personal assistant that takes care of those tasks, because you're your own boss, secretary, HR, etc).

Just a thought.

Randall Flagg
03-13-2012, 03:36 PM
All the opinions are correct. I'm sure anyone who is waiting on the book wishes it was here "yesterday", and someone wondering about their order wishes there was "live" tracking of the package, and someone else is "bristled" by the tone of the email which in some ways says "don't call us-and we won't call you". The good news is DMG announced and has delivered the product in less than a year, they allowed the payment for the S/L to be split into 3 payments-AND they didn't charge anyone until literally days (not months) before delivery.
As a consumer, we all have the choice of where to spend our hard earned money. So far DMG has always "delivered" to me as a customer.

tippy4
03-13-2012, 06:34 PM
We are not Amazon.com. Our regular customers know that but
many of our newer ones do not. We normally are a two person
operation but have hired extra help to get us through this busy
time.

We are getting a lot of phone calls and emails from people ask-
ing about their orders. This has slowed down the processing of
orders as we try to check each inquiry.

I thought today's email came across a little snarky.

I understand their frustration with a a bunch of knuckleheads calling all of the time....but it just seems like bad business to to come across like that.

I think the first two sentences could have been left out, and the same point could have been made.

As others have said above DMG has always delivered a fine product, and I appreciate that they do not charge until they ship.

Merlin1958
03-13-2012, 10:56 PM

Karen, I may rue your choice of sports teams, but I'm totally with you on this one dear!!!!! They do a great job, with few folks and not much time. Plus, from a logistical standpoint, it makes sense to tackle the higher order volume before the smaller volume items. They need more TLC right?

Of course, I already rec'd my AE!!!!! Thanks Karen!!!!

:YYY:

Randall Flagg
03-14-2012, 06:30 AM
Tippy4, I agree the point could have been made in a less snarky way. I had defended DMG in a post, then open my email and read that and rolled my eyes.

Ricky
03-14-2012, 07:32 AM
While I understand Grant's frustration at answering the same questions (I'm assuming from newer customers), the Amazon line kind of felt like a slap in the face to repeat customers.

jhanic
03-14-2012, 07:54 AM
I never realized how many sensitive people are out there. This, to me, is making a mountain out of a molehill.

John

nyy3723a
03-14-2012, 08:49 AM
I never realized how many sensitive people are out there. This, to me, is making a mountain out of a molehill.

John

Book collectors getting crazy about getting their books? Never woulda thunk it.

LostAlivE
03-14-2012, 08:52 AM
I learned to order things separately because I know it is going to take longer to make the traycases than it does for the slipcases. If you ordered both make sure you order the slipcase 1st and you will get it when everyone else does and you will not have to wait for the traycase to be finished. It is just commonsense.

Tony
03-14-2012, 09:24 AM
I don't think it's anyone being overly sensitive. You shouldn't be snarky to people paying you hundreds of their hard-earned dollars. Imagine if the person writing that email had taken 15 minutes to calm down, then written a nicer email instead of saying that they're not Amazon, how much better that would have gone over?

I'm subscribed to the newsletters of many small and large presses, and DMG is the only one who I've seen so far that's used this kind of tone of voice before (this incident and the 'don't email us and ask us anything, it's all right there on the website go read it yourself'), and it's something they can improve on for sure.

mistercrowley
03-14-2012, 10:30 AM
I don't think it's anyone being overly sensitive. You shouldn't be snarky to people paying you hundreds of their hard-earned dollars. Imagine if the person writing that email had taken 15 minutes to calm down, then written a nicer email instead of saying that they're not Amazon, how much better that would have gone over?

I'm subscribed to the newsletters of many small and large presses, and DMG is the only one who I've seen so far that's used this kind of tone of voice before (this incident and the 'don't email us and ask us anything, it's all right there on the website go read it yourself'), and it's something they can improve on for sure.

Perfectly said tony.

skyofcrack
03-14-2012, 11:53 AM
There is nothing wrong with DMG's recent newsletter or policy of not answering phone/e-mail when this is their reality:

'We normally are a two person operation but have hired extra help to get us through this busy time.'

As long as they keep giving us such quality books as:
The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger, Christine, The Talisman, The Dark Tower II: The Drawing of the Three, Prime Evil, The Dark Tower III: The Wastelands, Desperation, The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass, Black House, The Talisman/Black House Gift Edition, The Dark Tower V: Wolves of the Calla, The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah, The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower, The Little Sisters of Eluria, The Wind Through the Keyhole.

It doesn't say on the site, 'don't e-mail us about anything.' It says, 'Please do not call or email us asking for more information than is posted here. Updates will be announced in future issues of our newsletter and also posted here.'

That is specifically posted in The Wind Through the Keyhole section. That's not their normal policy. Only during this very busy time when they are trying to fill a lot of orders with extra staff.

At the bottom of the help/faq page it says:

'If you still have questions then please email us.'

Just don't ask them a question that's already answered online or in a newsletter.

Randall Flagg
03-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Thank you for clarifying that. Prior to your explanation I was confused.

jhanic
03-14-2012, 12:47 PM
I just received both my AE and s/l (#727) editions of The Wind Through the Keyhole.

John

JasonUK
03-14-2012, 12:52 PM
"We are not Amazon.com. Our regular customers know that but
many of our newer ones do not."

Ha! Dare I say, had their sales policy for this book favoured long-term customers over newer ones, like it should have, they wouldn't have had this problem. You reap what you sow.

divemaster
03-14-2012, 12:55 PM
I've been getting Grant's e-mail newsletters for years and for King books they all say, in effect, "Hey, please don't call or e-mail us about this book. If you do, we're only going to refer you to the website anyway."

skyofcrack
03-14-2012, 01:48 PM
I've been getting Grant's e-mail newsletters for years and for King books they all say, in effect, "Hey, please don't call or e-mail us about this book. If you do, we're only going to refer you to the website anyway."

That's because it's always most busy for them when the King books are coming out.

Lurker
03-14-2012, 02:23 PM
I thought it was pretty funny. I've been buying from Grant since the early 80's, when I was going through my de Camp phase and never have had a problem. The short wait for the Wind books is ok, unlike other books from other publishers, say Necon or Legacies. And since my number isn't too far behind John's...well, tomorrow is another mail delivery day.

AKC
03-14-2012, 06:03 PM
MY CARD WAS CHARGED TONIGHT!

I ordered S/L # 32 and the AE and I am a "W"!!!!!!!

YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Pasiuk57
03-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Post Office tried to deliver mine today but was at work.

jemaher
03-14-2012, 07:04 PM
Grant is a class outfit.

I dont begrudge a snarky email cause I dont suffer fools well at all.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-15-2012, 06:43 AM
Hodder & Stoughton Sampler...

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/563/TWTTK_Sampler.jpg

biomieg
03-15-2012, 07:10 AM
They look quite nice! I'm supposed to get one from Tom.

Tom?

Tito_Villa
03-15-2012, 07:19 AM
My sister is hopefully picking up a load from the Waterstones in Nottingham later today for me :) Not easy for me to get to in person with me finishing work at 5 and then living in the middle of nowhere!

jhanic
03-15-2012, 07:43 AM
I'm looking for one.

John

Tito_Villa
03-15-2012, 07:58 AM
John if my sister comes through (and i don't doubt that she won't) i will have plenty to give away :)

LostAlivE
03-15-2012, 08:06 AM

If you could get me one I'll pay s&p and whatever money you need. I really would like to get one of these.
Just e-mail me. thank you.
Or if anyone can get me one.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-15-2012, 08:21 AM
I can post a dozen copies off to Randal Flagg and he can distribute them among the USA members. If he is willing to take on the work?

Randall Flagg
03-15-2012, 10:47 AM
I can post a dozen copies off to Randal Flagg and he can distribute them among the USA members. If he is willing to take on the work?
Yes. Member pays postage +$1 (Which will go to our fundraiser).

Philsy
03-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Not complaining because I just decided to order the AE a couple of days ago - just being devil's advocate here. But it seems to me that there must be a good couple of handfuls of employable kids in NH to help package and ship the books for $10-$15 an hour on a short contract. Grant says they've hired extra help, but how much?

Randall Flagg
03-15-2012, 10:52 AM
The S/L is an "orphan". It is taller (in the traycase) than the 7 DT books, but shorter than LSOE. It also looks out of place next to the slipcased DT S/L's.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/510/DT_Books_comparison.JPG

jhanic
03-15-2012, 10:57 AM

I'll pay $5 + postage. It's for a good cause. Please PM me when it's time.

John

Randall Flagg
03-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks John. It always costs more than postage since I have to either purchase envelopes, or rig up boxes etc. to get them to people. I lost money (as did Mr. Rabbit Trick) on the UK 11.22.63 sampler.

Robert Fulman
03-15-2012, 11:07 AM

I'll pay $5 + postage. It's for a good cause. Please PM me when it's time.

JohnI'll do the same.

Randall Flagg
03-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Well I don't know how many Mr. Rabbit Trick will send me, but keeping one copy for myself, you two are next in line.

jhanic
03-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Sounds good to me!

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-15-2012, 01:05 PM
Well I don't know how many Mr. Rabbit Trick will send me, but keeping one copy for myself, you two are next in line.

jhanic
03-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Thank you, Alan!

John

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-15-2012, 01:16 PM
I have a contact in the UK looking for a sampler for me, but if he doesn't come through I may need one. I'm still waiting for the books from Grant!

LostAlivE
03-15-2012, 01:19 PM

Jerome I hope you will save one for me.

Cook
03-15-2012, 01:45 PM
May I have one Jerome?
(with another donation)

Randall Flagg
03-15-2012, 02:56 PM
6 saved. 6 to go. Market rate is $5 (for the fundraiser) + actual postage.

ELazansky
03-15-2012, 03:03 PM
I'm in for one at the Market Rate as well...

Randall Flagg
03-15-2012, 03:04 PM
7 reserved, 5 left.

Fsmdr
03-15-2012, 03:38 PM
I'll take 2 please, Jerome.

AKC
03-15-2012, 03:43 PM

Reserve me one!!!

Please!

AKC

willie3
03-15-2012, 04:07 PM
Jerome
I would also like one, sending you Paypal gift now.
Karl

Merlin1958
03-15-2012, 04:46 PM

John

I know, right? A lotta folks wouldn't last a week in NYC!!! LOL

Please, just don't throw eggs at me. Vegetables will do nicely!!!!

:lol1:

RIC #520
03-15-2012, 04:59 PM
Randell. I am good for one.. put me down for a $5 donation too.. Ronnie

AKC
03-15-2012, 05:06 PM
The S/L is an "orphan". It is taller (in the traycase) than the 7 DT books, but shorter than LSOE. It also looks out of place next to the slipcased DT S/L's.

Am I the only one disappointed a bit by this?

Randall Flagg
03-15-2012, 05:28 PM
I think it best to limit one for now.

Fsmdr
03-15-2012, 05:28 PM
I think it best to limit one for now.

Got it. Just one then. Thank you.

Randall Flagg
03-15-2012, 05:34 PM

Am I the only one disappointed a bit by this?
I thought about it, and the S/L doesn't match, but...it is in a traycase. Starting with LSOE Grant seems to have chosen a traycase for the DT S/L. It is a gorgeous traycase-the tangerine IMO is very nice. More and more collectors want a traycase, or a slipcase that is a work of art itself. Grant has done that, and I suppose it was inevitable. Rather than be a Luddite, I will try to embrace it, but it does look like a "red (tangerine) headed stepchild" next to the other books. ;)

skyofcrack
03-15-2012, 06:37 PM
DTI-VII are the series. LSOE and TWTTK are related DT books. I wouldn't expect those two books to fit in size with the others. I'm sure if SK decided to do a proper 8th book (VIII) then it would be slipcased and the same size as the others.

Randall Flagg
03-15-2012, 06:44 PM
DTI-VII are the series. LSOE and TWTTK are related DT books. I wouldn't expect those two books to fit in size with the others. I'm sure if SK decided to do a proper 8th book (VIII) then it would be slipcased and the same size as the others.
Well since in theory King can't write a storyline after DTVII, he can only fill in the stories, or do a DT-(negative)1, DT-(negative)2 set of prequels.

TCCBodhi
03-15-2012, 09:31 PM
I'd like a one if still available. Thanks Jerome.

DisneyGuys
03-15-2012, 09:57 PM

Those look very cool. I am curious what the back of the sampler looks like. Is it the same as what the book dust jacket will look like? Is the mosaic of faces submitted via Facebook on the back to make the image? Sorry for the questions, but I am really interested.

oy-the-brave
03-15-2012, 11:02 PM
If you wind up with any left Jerome I would like a sampler too, just let me know. Thanks, Dave

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-16-2012, 12:25 AM

Those look very cool. I am curious what the back of the sampler looks like. Is it the same as what the book dust jacket will look like? Is the mosaic of faces submitted via Facebook on the back to make the image? Sorry for the questions, but I am really interested.

The back has an advert for other DT books. No mosaic.

Patrick
03-16-2012, 01:14 AM
Jerome, if you have any left at this point, please add me to your list. Thank you, Mr. Flagg and Mr. Trick.

Randall Flagg
03-16-2012, 05:13 AM
It looks like I ran out at TccBodhi. Sorry Oythebrave and Patrick. If I get extra, you will be first on the list.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-16-2012, 07:48 AM
If there is any demand, I can always get some more.

For info: This is quite a small booklet, much smaller than the 11.22.63 one.

Roog
03-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Looks nice! Can I order one from you, to be sent from Scotland to NL? Thnx!

Cook
03-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Payment Sent ! Thanks

May I have one Jerome?
(with another donation)

Randall Flagg
03-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Hey guys, and gals. It's $5 (preferred, but not required as a gift, if you send it otherwise Paypal takes a cut that would go towards the fundraiser) + actual shipping, which I won't know until I have the booklets and the shipping addresses.

Lurker
03-16-2012, 04:38 PM
I too would love to get one and since I now know PayPal isn't required no problem with whatever I need to do to gift, if someone just lets me know.
I have had problems with unauthorized charges by PayPal and now refuse to use them.

To paraphrase Joplin - still waiting for that delivery.

Cook
03-16-2012, 06:42 PM
I donated thru the forum widget, right??

Hey guys, and gals. It's $5 (preferred, but not required as a gift, if you send it otherwise Paypal takes a cut that would go towards the fundraiser) + actual shipping, which I won't know until I have the booklets and the shipping addresses.

Randall Flagg
03-16-2012, 06:54 PM
That's fine. I'll let you know what S&H are when I post the item to you.

Fsmdr
03-16-2012, 07:17 PM
Jerome, would it be ok to donate $10?. Guessing at $5 plus $5 shipping in the US?. Or would you rather we send payment later?.

Stockerlone
03-17-2012, 01:59 AM
Sale-day in Germany.... with luck 08.06.2012 .... In 3 month.... FAST !!!
Still no news about the booktitle in Germany.

Randall Flagg
03-17-2012, 05:47 AM
Jerome, would it be ok to donate $10?. Guessing at $5 plus $5 shipping in the US?. Or would you rather we send payment later?.
That would be great.

jhanic
03-17-2012, 06:17 AM
Gift payment sent.

John

ELazansky
03-17-2012, 06:19 AM
RF - What PayPal address should I send the $10 to for the sampler?

Roog
03-17-2012, 01:38 PM

Is it possible to order one from you, Mr. Rabbit Trick? Or is it better to order from RF? Thanks :)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-17-2012, 03:49 PM

Is it possible to order one from you, Mr. Rabbit Trick? Or is it better to order from RF? Thanks :)

I sent all the ones I had to RF. I'm all out.

Roog
03-17-2012, 05:29 PM
Thanks.

RF, you also ship those things to NL? I can Paypal you whatever you want ;)

Fsmdr
03-17-2012, 06:16 PM
RF - What PayPal address should I send the $10 to for the sampler?

I paid with Paypal from the donation widget on this site.

Stockerlone
03-18-2012, 12:55 AM
The GERMAN bookname is most likely: WIND

biomieg
03-18-2012, 01:46 AM
Thanks.

Rogier: Tom (Tito_Villa on this forum) also has several of these samplers and he lives in the UK. I am getting one from him as well. Just send him a PM or ask him here.

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-18-2012, 03:54 AM
I'm trying to get a sampler too. So far no luck but I'm sure someone here will eventually find one for me.

frik
03-18-2012, 05:09 AM
Am I the only one who couldn't care less about this item?? :rolleyes2:

sk

Randall Flagg
03-18-2012, 06:00 AM
Thanks.

They have all been reserved. Sorry.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-18-2012, 07:59 AM

sk

I never kept a copy for myself.

divemaster
03-18-2012, 11:31 AM

sk

LOL. No, you are not the only one.

Roog
03-18-2012, 12:48 PM
It just would have fit nice in my DT collection, that's all ;)

ur2ndbiggestfan
03-18-2012, 01:51 PM
I have a copy of the sampler coming from someone here. I won't mention Tom's name, but he is a great guy, not to mention a great author.

Stockerlone
03-19-2012, 02:48 AM
I have a copy of the sampler coming from someone here. I won't mention Tom's name, but he is a great guy, not to mention a great author.

My Sampler is OF CAUSE also coming from TOM !!!

Clacke
03-19-2012, 05:08 AM
Posted on the Hodder & Stoughton Twitterfeed -
The Hodder Trade Hardback.....

http://a.yfrog.com/img860/6181/q0drbc.jpg

biomieg
03-19-2012, 05:16 AM
Thank you! It's always good to see the 'real deal'. What's the official date of publication for the H&S edition?

Clacke
03-19-2012, 05:39 AM
Thank you! It's always good to see the 'real deal'. What's the official date of publication for the H&S edition?

It's out on the same day as the US release - 24th April.

TCCBodhi
03-20-2012, 08:53 AM
I just sent off the $10 ($5 + 5 p&s). Seemed to be about right, rather than making payment in 2 small chunks. Thanks for brokering this.

wizardsrainbow
03-20-2012, 09:01 AM
These landed on my doorstep yesterday...personal copies to keep my complete same-numbered matching sets complete:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/WTTKH_SLs.jpg

bdwyer19
03-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Congrats David. Great acquisitions!!

ELazansky
03-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Very nice, David --- I'm still waiting on my AE ... :-(

e_taylor
03-20-2012, 11:43 AM
Still searching for a PC copy of the S/L. Anyone?

Jimimck
03-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Four sets! Nice one David.

Cook
03-20-2012, 01:44 PM
Very nice.......

These landed on my doorstep yesterday...personal copies to keep my complete same-numbered matching sets complete:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/WTTKH_SLs.jpg

pixiedark76
03-20-2012, 04:53 PM
I got my AE in the mail today! :dance::rock:

mcdonaldj
03-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Nice purchases David - a PC set of Dark Tower is not something I even thought of - very cool and probably very hard to build.

AKC
03-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Still searching for a PC copy of the S/L. Anyone?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-WIND-THROUGH-THE-KEYHOLE-Stephen-King-SIGNED-LIMITED-Donald-M-Grant-edition-/310388777546?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item48449ce24a

herbertwest
03-21-2012, 08:06 AM
I asked my contact at Hodder & Stoughton regarding a limited edition with a "real" signature (vs a fac simile), and the the answer was : "the 'real' signature is being sold through Waterstones"

However, i cant find any details about this limited Waterstone edition... even on the W website...

jhanic
03-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Thanks, Jeremy! Did they say there was any distinction between the actual signed copies and the facsimile copies?

John

herbertwest
03-22-2012, 04:27 AM
Some more informations :
"Waterstones are exclusively selling the signed edition in the UK. ISBN is 9781444755466. They don't yet have it listed on their website, but I expect it will show there soon and be available to preorder."

I asked a few more questions :-)

----
The iSBN of the known "limited" edition by H&S is : 978-1444755459
http://uk-preflight-aw.amazon.com/gp/product/1444755455

herbertwest
03-22-2012, 06:17 AM
Some more answers :

Publisher : Hodder & Stoughton, exclusively sold by Waterstones
Selling price : i cant communicate it until it's released (in case that W decides to increase it), but when i am being told is... far less than $450 some of you were asked.
No difference from the normal limited edition other than the signature.

Now, the remaining questions are the print run & the date to preorder those...

ELazansky
03-22-2012, 06:26 AM
Hopefully you'll be able to find out a day or two before to let us know!

Merlin1958
03-22-2012, 06:40 AM
Nice review from a long time fan

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54448

LostAlivE
03-22-2012, 07:17 AM
When will we have a Thread to discuss TWTTK after we have read it?
I loved Tim and would like to read the feeling of the other members about the book.

biomieg
03-22-2012, 07:22 AM
You can start a thread here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?189-The-Wind-Through-The-Keyhole. Since Grant started shipping and people started reading, I'm sure it's okay to start one.

Ari_Racing
03-22-2012, 07:32 AM
I have my review ready for the spanish magazine, so I'll have it posted here soon. What I can tell is that you can see that King was relaxed and probably enjoying a lot writing this book. The result is a really neat story (two stories actually), well written and with a very nice new character.

I enjoyed it a lot!

jhanic
03-22-2012, 07:35 AM
There's already one started:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/forumdisplay.php?189-The-Wind-Through-The-Keyhole

John

Oops! It's the same one as biomeg posted. Sorry.

John

jhanic
03-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Nice review from a long time fan

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54448

It should be noted that there are a number of spoilers in this review.

John

herbertwest
03-22-2012, 09:18 AM
I should recieve my copy within the next few days.. but it's not a proof as Hodder didnt do any.

Greg
03-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Amazon UK has TWTTK Hodder Collectors Ed. on pre-order for £68.49, pretty reasonable.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-23-2012, 09:20 AM
Amazon UK has TWTTK Hodder Collectors Ed. on pre-order for £68.49, pretty reasonable.

Much better than the list price, but still too expensive for what you get.

Greg
03-23-2012, 11:49 AM
I ordered one, 700 copies only, I don't think these will devalue at this price.

namelessnpoor
03-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Is there a regular UK trade edition? I am assuming there is since there is for every King book. Ijust don't remember seeing it offered for sale anywhere or any talk of it. I will obviously need one for my UK collection.

jhanic
03-23-2012, 01:16 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Wind-Through-Keyhole-Tower/dp/144473170X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332537328&sr=1-1

I've got one on order.

John

namelessnpoor
03-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks John, i just ordered one myself. You think I would havethought of that after all these years of buying books !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Wind-Through-Keyhole-Tower/dp/144473170X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332537328&sr=1-1

I've got one on order.

John

Tito_Villa
03-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Would someone be willing to do a swap with me, i send off a 1st of the UK trade and they send off a 1st of the US trade to me!?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Would someone be willing to do a swap with me, i send off a 1st of the UK trade and they send off a 1st of the US trade to me!?

Tom,
The UK version is a first (UK) edition, but the Scribner one is actually a reprint, the Grant one being the 1st edition.

The H&S copyright page states:

First published in Great Britain in 2012 by Hodder & Stoughton.
First Hodder hardcover edition April 2012.

(No mention of the Grant Edition)

Lurker
03-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Finally here! S/L traycase not as orangish as maybe the pictures but it'll take some getting used to...

Jimimck
03-24-2012, 12:12 AM

Tom,
The UK version is a first (UK) edition, but the Scribner one is actually a reprint, the Grant one being the 1st edition.

The H&S copyright page states:

First published in Great Britain in 2012 by Hodder & Stoughton.
First Hodder hardcover edition April 2012.

(No mention of the Grant Edition)

Since he used the term "trade", doesn't that tell us what version he is after???
Even when a gift, AE or S/L edition is actually published first, don't many people consider the trade edition to be the "first" edition, when making reference to the book they want/have etc?

Tito_Villa
03-24-2012, 02:45 AM
Yup i'm after the trade version, love the cover artwork!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-24-2012, 02:52 AM
Even when a gift, AE or S/L edition is actually published first, don't many people consider the trade edition to be the "first" edition, when making reference to the book they want/have etc?

Many people do. I don't. IMO the first printing of the book, is the first printing.

Room 217 Caretaker
03-24-2012, 05:36 AM

Many people do. I don't. IMO the first printing of the book, is the first printing.

Amen! My AE editions of DT books have always been considered the true first in my collection.

Mulleins

tippy4
03-24-2012, 09:00 AM
I wonder where DMG is with the shipping of combo orders.

Siighhhhh......nothing for me yet.

shaq
03-25-2012, 08:41 AM
Some more answers :

Publisher : Hodder & Stoughton, exclusively sold by Waterstones
Selling price : i cant communicate it until it's released (in case that W decides to increase it), but when i am being told is... far less than $450 some of you were asked.
No difference from the normal limited edition other than the signature.

Now, the remaining questions are the print run & the date to preorder those...

I walked into a waterstones today and they accepted my order for this, so paid up and ready to collect 24/4, price £150.

They didn't have any other info re how limited this is, but the only thing they did confirm is that it was a real signature as opposed to the facsimile edition they were also selling.

Edited to say if anyone can confirm how many and if it is numbered it would be great. I found on the collectors forum there are possibly200 but no more info as yet.

If anyone has more that'd be great

Cheers, Dave

mistercrowley
03-25-2012, 09:50 AM
If I ordered a copy of the AE today about how long do you think it would be before I received it?

Randall Flagg
03-25-2012, 04:05 PM
2 weeks, 19 days at the most (presuming you are in the USA).

ELazansky
03-25-2012, 04:12 PM
I'm still waiting on the AE I ordered in December, and I'm in the US.

Jimimck
03-25-2012, 05:43 PM
I ordered whenever they were announced (same day) and haven't received one yet. Not in the US but have received other packages from the US that were ordered after They started shipping WTTK. I know, I know, small operation and all, but I'm just impatient lol.

biomieg
03-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Exactly the same situation here, James!

Patrick
03-26-2012, 12:04 AM
My two S/L's and an AE arrived a few days ago. The production is definitely different, but definitely beautiful.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-26-2012, 06:30 AM
I walked into a waterstones today and they accepted my order for this, so paid up and ready to collect 24/4, price £150.

They didn't have any other info re how limited this is, but the only thing they did confirm is that it was a real signature as opposed to the facsimile edition they were also selling.

Edited to say if anyone can confirm how many and if it is numbered it would be great. I found on the collectors forum there are possibly200 but no more info as yet.

Cheers, Dave

I ordered mine but forgot to ask what the limitation was. Sorry. Cost was £150.

bdwyer19
03-26-2012, 06:43 AM

Cheers, Dave

Is it only available in-store? I just looked at the Waterstone website, and they only show a TWTTK trade edition and audio book for sale.

Tito_Villa
03-26-2012, 06:45 AM
It seems so

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-26-2012, 07:29 AM
I ordered it on the phone.

becca69
03-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Got mine today. Yay!

herbertwest
03-26-2012, 10:15 AM

Cheers, Dave

Is it only available in-store? I just looked at the Waterstone website, and they only show a TWTTK trade edition and audio book for sale.

It havent been officially announced yet.. It should be, soon.

I got my H&S copy :-)

jhanic
03-26-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm willing to pay £200 for a copy of the true signed edition. Please PM me.

John

Robert Fulman
03-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Do we all agree that a signed version at £150 makes the fake signed version at £100 look like a joke?

mistercrowley
03-26-2012, 02:11 PM
Would anyone be willing to order this for me and I'll PayPal you the money with shipping and a nice little bonus? I'm referring to the Hodder True signed edition? Please send me a message if you can help. With my job I'll more than likely miss the opportunity to order when it's announced.

BigCoffinHunter
03-26-2012, 03:50 PM

I got my S/L and AE order almost two weeks ago, so I would think that you should be getting yours sometime in the near future

tippy4
03-26-2012, 06:48 PM

I got my S/L and AE order almost two weeks ago, so I would think that you should be getting yours sometime in the near future

Well what the hell?!

Ari_Racing
03-26-2012, 07:25 PM
On my doorstep today.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/306576_10150645072688526_105589808525_9342757_1706 768433_n.jpg

Brian James Freeman
03-26-2012, 07:43 PM
On my doorstep today.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/306576_10150645072688526_105589808525_9342757_1706 768433_n.jpg

Very nice!

Jimimck
03-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Maybe I need to sign up to the Ari mail order catalogue lol

killbourne
03-27-2012, 07:30 AM
In regards to the UK REal signed edition of TWTTKH....has anyone from the US been able to order a copy? If so, then how, and what phone number did you call to place your order. Just trying to figure this out.

jhanic
03-27-2012, 07:40 AM
I tried, but Waterstone's won't ship to the US.

John

Tito_Villa
03-27-2012, 07:42 AM
I might be able to order some more copies, not sure if i can afford the outlay at the moment!

jhanic
03-27-2012, 07:43 AM
I'll be glad to pay you in advance.

John

killbourne
03-27-2012, 07:55 AM
Same here. I have no problem with paying in advance.

Pasiuk57
03-27-2012, 08:06 AM
count me in too!

skyofcrack
03-27-2012, 08:22 AM
I'm still waiting on the AE I ordered in December, and I'm in the US.

I've got a long wait ahead of me. I just placed an order for the AE and the S/L using the 1/3 payment option so I assume I have to wait until the final payment is made then both books are shipped together which would be some time in May. I wish I could get the AE now and then the S/L in May. Oh, well.

Tito_Villa
03-27-2012, 09:06 AM
Regarding the UK DT S/L i will ring up some Waterstones' tomorrow and see what i can do!

Tom

killbourne
03-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Regarding the UK DT S/L i will ring up some Waterstones' tomorrow and see what i can do!

Tom
Tom just wanted to say thanks for finding out for us. I also wanted to let you know that I am 120% serious about the payment in advance plus whatever you need. I will be flying all day tomorrow....so, I just wanted to let you know in advance in case im not around. If convient, I can go ahead and send you whatever you need by paypal(sent by gift option) if you need the money in advance...because I will be out of touch tomorrow. Thanks once again for doing this huge favor.

mistercrowley
03-27-2012, 01:43 PM
Same here Tom. I posted yesterday about this.

Roseannebarr
03-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Same here Tom. I posted yesterday about this.

I contacted Waterstones today - Picadelly Book Store They said they are not taking pre orders for the book. I said i read on line that people are putting deposits down for the book. She said no one should be taking orders. it states on the ISBN# NO Preorders. She thinks another store might be doing it but it is not allowed for this book. She knew i was calling from the US but did not say anything about US shipments. She was very nice - but i was insistant. She checked with 2 managers and she said NO orders are being placed at this time.

i guess i will call again tomorrow :)

mcdonaldj
03-27-2012, 06:01 PM
Add me to the list of forum members trying to order the signed book from the U.S. with no luck. However, they were kind enough to send the specific ISBN which helps when you're calling.
Let me know if anyone from the States finds a way and I'll do the same. I sure hope a UK mailing address is not a firm requirement.

As this is a special limited edition of Wind Through The Keyhole I would advise placing an order with you local Waterstones bookshop. The book is published on 24th April and will not be available to order online.

The ISBN for the book is 9781444755466

I have also included a link to our bookshop directory should you like to contact your nearest bookshop.

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayFindBranch.do

Kind regards,

Zeb Franklin
Waterstones Store Experience Team

tippy4
03-27-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm willing to pay £200 for a copy of the true signed edition. Please PM me.

John

I too would be willing to pay that price.

Anyone?

mcdonaldj
03-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Here's the Waterstones shipping policy - says they ship to the U.S.

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/pages/help-international/100000013/

Also, the best TWTTKH deal on Ebay is close to ending - nice price for a $75 book.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190656550812?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Roseannebarr
03-27-2012, 09:08 PM
I will call another book store tomorrow and see if i get a different story!

Tito_Villa
03-27-2012, 10:42 PM
I imagine they won't want to ship outside of the UK because of the problems they had with the S/L UTD but i can't be sure

becca69
03-28-2012, 06:10 AM
I emailed Waterstone's (online) last week and they said they didn't have the book listed at all so definitely no getting it from the website.

I'm definitely interested in a copy also.

Tito_Villa
03-28-2012, 06:14 AM
I've e-mailed Hatchards to see if i can get copies through there too!

becca69
03-28-2012, 06:17 AM
Here's the Waterstones shipping policy - says they ship to the U.S.

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/pages/help-international/100000013/

Also, the best TWTTKH deal on Ebay is close to ending - nice price for a $75 book.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190656550812?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I feel bad for those bidders. I wonder if they think it's signed by King? I would love to direct them to the Grant website.

skyofcrack
03-28-2012, 06:40 AM

I feel bad for those bidders. I wonder if they think it's signed by King? I would love to direct them to the Grant website.

Don't feel bad for those bidders. They know about Google as well. I sent a message to the person who started the auction and gave him the Grant link suggesting he should've waited for the book to go OOP first.

becca69
03-28-2012, 06:48 AM
Can't help myself :unsure:

skyofcrack
03-28-2012, 06:53 AM
I sent a message to the person who started the auction and gave him the Grant link suggesting he should've waited for the book to go OOP first.

Here's what he wrote back:

You don't have to bid and I haven't forced anyone else to do so. Why don't you go be the auction police somewhere else.

:rolleyes2:

Tito_Villa
03-28-2012, 07:08 AM
Wow what a price!!!

Rahfa
03-28-2012, 07:30 AM
Eh...there's always a few poor saps in the early going.

I've made plenty of $$$ by taking advantage of the uninformed. I'm on the seller's side on this one.

Tito_Villa
03-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Yeah i'm not blaming the seller, it's not his/hers fault!

Tito_Villa
03-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Well i ordered another 3 copies today and they have been reserved, i have my Dad going to his local Waterstones tomorrow to seeif he can pick up a few copies :)

mistercrowley
03-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Can I buy one from you Tom?

Roseannebarr
03-28-2012, 04:39 PM
I bought one! WE shall see if it goes through. They had no problem shipping to the US. I have a feeling we are all going to be disappointed.

Tito_Villa
03-29-2012, 02:06 AM
Can I buy one from you Tom?

I'm trying my best!

mistercrowley
03-29-2012, 02:10 AM
I appreciate it. Thanks for trying to help. Let me know how it turns out. I have work today but please shoot me a message if you can.

becca69
03-29-2012, 05:24 AM
I bought one! WE shall see if it goes through. They had no problem shipping to the US. I have a feeling we are all going to be disappointed.

Did you call a store??

Roseannebarr
03-29-2012, 06:12 AM
Yes. i dont remember the store name. I called the picadelly store on Tuesday. they said that the ISBN # is not ready to order yet. then i called another store yesterday, the manager was michelle. she took my order, my credit card # and told me to send her an email with shipping directions. she said the shipping would be 35 pounds. i have not heard back from her yet.

I just think they dont have their act together. 200 copies should of sold out in minutes. i think the stores think they can preorder, not realizing what they have. i dont think waterstones communicated to their stores properly. and the employees are treating these books like they do on all other preorders my MIL worked at a bookstore and has severe doubts about these transactions! how can everyone be taking preorders without regards to the count! limited edition 200!

Did i remind you all that i am a pessemist until proved wrong!

Tito_Villa
03-29-2012, 06:16 AM
I still haven't had it confirmed that it is limited to 200 copies, and that's from 3 different stores!

The Library Policeman
03-29-2012, 08:43 AM
I phoned 3 different stores in Scotland today and each one told me it will be available to order online only.

All 3 people I spoke to gave me this info after I gave them the ISBN number.

WTF??

Tito_Villa
03-29-2012, 08:59 AM
I phoned Nottingham earlier and they said to check Amazon, that i couldn't order it through them!

Randall Flagg
03-29-2012, 10:44 AM
FYI, I mailed out all of TWTTK UK samples today. Thanks again to Mr. Rabbit Trick.

jhanic
03-29-2012, 12:04 PM
Eagerly awaiting my copy!

John

namelessnpoor
03-29-2012, 12:17 PM
I was just about to post about these...TWTTKH sampler. I just picked one up on ebay this morning, for like $7. Not sure if thats good or bad but its only $7 and that was shipped form the UK. But if someone wants to say what they think about that...go ahead. I was wondering how scarce they were or not at all... I know they were free but since i am not in the UK $7 was good enough for me.

Randall Flagg
03-29-2012, 12:31 PM
They are really overrated.

ELazansky
03-29-2012, 12:52 PM
I'm really upset that I haven't gotten my AE yet, and I can't complain to Grant because they don't have the staff to respond to my emails...

Jimimck
03-29-2012, 01:26 PM
If the trade edition is out before my AE arrives I'm gonna be pissed off.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-29-2012, 01:56 PM
I was just about to post about these...TWTTKH sampler. I just picked one up on ebay this morning, for like $7. Not sure if thats good or bad but its only $7 and that was shipped form the UK. But if someone wants to say what they think about that...go ahead. I was wondering how scarce they were or not at all... I know they were free but since i am not in the UK $7 was good enough for me.

There was 100,000 of them printed. They were free in every Waterstones shop in the UK. You could take as many as you want. They are tiny. About the same size as the Wizard & Glass ones, but thinner paper.

Make your own mind up what they are worth.

Jimimck
03-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Since they were free, I'd say they aren't worth anything, but some people outside the UK will probably still have a price they are prepared to pay to ensure they have one in their collection. I ordered a couple from the UK just to have at like £2 each.

jhanic
03-29-2012, 02:27 PM
There was 100,000 of them printed.

Do you have a source at Waterstone's?

John

RIC #520
03-29-2012, 03:01 PM
I agree ..they aren't worth anything, unless you want one, of course..

Randall Flagg
03-29-2012, 03:12 PM
They really are nothing. They literally are 1/8 of a chapbook. Of course if you want one, then it becomes a "gotta have it". If I really thought they were something special, i would have asked Mr. Rabbit Trick to send me a dozen "gratis", then auctioned them off on Ebay. I have one left, but it is so inconsequential that I tossed it out in my recycle bin. They pick up tomorrow morning.

harrison ryan
03-29-2012, 03:19 PM
I wish I had one, but even if it were free I wouldn't pay the cost of shipping to get it. I wish I lived in the UK so I could just walk down to the bookstore and pick one up.

Roog
03-29-2012, 03:22 PM
There you go...
I even got the Hodder paperback earlier than my Grant edition...

http://www.roog.nu/94.jpg

What's the status of the foreign orders, Karin?

tippy4
03-29-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm really upset that I haven't gotten my AE yet, and I can't complain to Grant because they don't have the staff to respond to my emails...

Don't know if I can say I'm REALLY upset....but mildly annoyed.

In the end I know I will get my books.....but would just feel better if I had received my package.

mcdonaldj
03-29-2012, 06:59 PM
One of the Waterstones managers told me the below info about the UK S/L TWTTKH:

"We think this edition is hand signed and has a print run of 800"

I don't think their system tells them for sure.

Fsmdr
03-29-2012, 07:05 PM

I still think that this is not the same 700 numbered edition with facsimile signature as the price listed would have been $100 Pounds and not $150 Pounds. It does seem strange that Hodder & Stoughton would publish 2 different production of S/L on the same tittle. Very odd indeed.....

neosatus
03-29-2012, 07:17 PM

In the end I know I will get my books.....but would just feel better if I had received my package.

I feel this way about the S/L but I'm pretty fucking pissed I haven't gotten my order yet because I wanted to read the AE right away. If I don't get it by Saturday then Grant will have lost me as a customer forever. I know that sounds harsh but I refuse to support a company that operates the way they do and the snide comments made in their newsletter was incredibly unprofessional. I wasn't even one of the "offending" callers--nor did I write them an email. But seeing what was said in addressing those people was a huge turn-off. A small company should have a goal of better customer service than large companies who deal in quantity goods. If they choose to not communicate with their customers then they'll reap what they've sown.

/rant

Jimimck
03-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Found this bookmark in one of those paperback re-releases of the DT series. I found a sales person who looked like she didn't know what she was doing and asked if I could have it without buying the book. She said yes.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f257/jimimck/Stephen%20King%20Books/WTTKBookmark.jpg

mcdonaldj
03-29-2012, 09:03 PM
I finally got smart and messaged Mr. King's assistant to see if she knows if he signed a S/L edition of TWTTKH for H&S. I'll let you know what she says.

I still think that this is not the same 700 numbered edition with facsimile signature as the price listed would have been $100 Pounds and not $150 Pounds. It does seem strange that Hodder & Stoughton would publish 2 different production of S/L on the same tittle. Very odd indeed.....

mcdonaldj
03-29-2012, 09:12 PM
I feel for your frustration. I'm one of the unlucky ones who had a S/L Eluria over 800 so I'm waiting for the lottery (and hanging on to the slim chance I might be lucky). I don't love the process Grant is using, but I understand it is hard for a small staff to sell, ship, and hold a raffle all at once. I definitely don't think any slip in service is intentional.

My most recent interaction with Grant was ordering replacement dustjackets. Karen was absolutely amazing and extremely helpful.

With that said, the comments you mention from Grant to their customers were offensive and ill advised. But, everyone makes mistakes and I hope your book comes soon and you decide to give them another chance.

I feel this way about the S/L but I'm pretty fucking pissed I haven't gotten my order yet because I wanted to read the AE right away. If I don't get it by Saturday then Grant will have lost me as a customer forever. I know that sounds harsh but I refuse to support a company that operates the way they do and the snide comments made in their newsletter was incredibly unprofessional. I wasn't even one of the "offending" callers--nor did I write them an email. But seeing what was said in addressing those people was a huge turn-off. A small company should have a goal of better customer service than large companies who deal in quantity goods. If they choose to not communicate with their customers then they'll reap what they've sown.

/rant

Mr. Rabbit Trick
03-29-2012, 11:57 PM
I finally got smart and messaged Mr. King's assistant to see if she knows if he signed a S/L edition of TWTTKH for H&S. I'll let you know what she says.

Not smart enough. She is on holiday until 10 April.

herbertwest
03-30-2012, 03:32 AM

Well, i've been told from H&S that there will be a "real" signed edition by H&S exclusively sold through Waterstones... Price = £150 (but might change as it havent been officially announced yet).
Print run : H&S didnt tell me anything, but someone heard about 200 on the skcollector forum.

shaq
03-30-2012, 03:35 AM
When I placed my orders the assistants made it clear that there were 3 versions on their system in Waterstones

Trade £?
Facsimile Edition £100
Signed Edition £150

Really interested to hear how many of the Signed Editions there are and if they are numbered.

Tito_Villa
03-30-2012, 03:37 AM
Apart from it being signed none of the people at Waterstones i have ordered off haven't know anything about the book. Also one rand me back today to tell me i can only have 1 copy :( everyone who has a book through me is ok as of this moment though

Robert Fulman
03-30-2012, 04:21 AM
There you go...

What's the status of the foreign orders, Karin?No one else has asked, so I will: how did you get that a month early?

shaq
03-30-2012, 04:34 AM
Waterstones have taken full payment for all my orders too, but if anything changes I'll let people know as soon as possible. I specifically asked if I could order more than one, so lets see what happens.

Edited to say...Waterstones don't seem too consistent with their approach on this, and maybe now they are starting to realise problems arising!

biomieg
03-30-2012, 05:06 AM
There you go...

What's the status of the foreign orders, Karin?No one else has asked, so I will: how did you get that a month early?

I will be checking out some bookstores tonight. Sometimes we (in The Netherlands) get the US and/or UK trade editions before the official date of publication.

Tito_Villa
03-30-2012, 05:16 AM
I got a UK hardback off of ebay, it looks smart with the black and white illustrations included

Tito_Villa
03-30-2012, 05:55 AM
Also on the back of the dustjacket you can just about make out all the portrairs that people sent in via facebook, pretty cool i think

ELazansky
03-30-2012, 06:21 AM
Also on the back of the dustjacket you can just about make out all the portrairs that people sent in via facebook, pretty cool i think

Is there a scan of that cover anywhere? I'd like to see if I got picked :-)

Tito_Villa
03-30-2012, 06:24 AM
Unfortunately i haven't got a scanner but there is a link where you can go to and see a blown up version. I'll have a look for you when i get back from work!

The Library Policeman
03-30-2012, 06:28 AM
The Waterstones in Glasgow that told me online orders only yesterday, confirmed to me today by telephone that they have reserved me a copy of the S/L in store.

Dunno what's going on really. I don't think they do either.

skyofcrack
03-30-2012, 11:03 AM

Not smart enough. She is on holiday until 10 April.

Actually, she won't be back in the office until the 17th. I'm waiting to hear back as well.

ELazansky
03-30-2012, 11:34 AM

I guess I'm not REALLY upset either. Just not sure what to do. The AE is probably not going to sell out, so do I wait on Grant to charge and ship me the book, or do I see if David has copies for retail? Big staff, small staff, it doesn't matter. You have to communicate with your customers. In the end, they probably don't care about me too much, since they are making their money off the S/L editions...

Tito_Villa
03-30-2012, 11:38 AM
I realised that i wouldn't be getting the books as quick as the US customers but how long have they been shipping now? 5 weeks? I seem to remember CD shipping the majority of their IT S/L and gift editions in 2 weeks? They took on extra help just like Grant

RichardX
03-30-2012, 11:48 AM
It's difficult to think of a worse idea than books with "facsimile" signatures. Imagine how many of these will show up on ebay as "signed" books and that will not be entirely false. I bet 8 out of 10 of those buying will believe it's a real signature from King absent an explanation. As the guy in "Office Space" said about the jump to conclusions mat, this is horrible, this idea. LOL.

jhanic
03-30-2012, 12:17 PM
I tend to agree. One of the main problems I have is the Hodder & Stoughton facsimile-signed edition of 11.22.63. The only notice I can find that the signature is a facsimile is on the shrink wrap. Once the shrink wrap is removed, there's no indication that the signature is not authentic.

John

Merlin1958
03-30-2012, 12:19 PM
I tend to agree. One of the main problems I have is the Hodder & Stoughton facsimile-signed edition of 11.22.63. The only notice I can find that the signature is a facsimile is on the shrink wrap. Once the shrink wrap is removed, there's no indication that the signature is not authentic.

John

Well, that has "bad" implications!!!!! Sh*t!!!!

Roog
03-30-2012, 02:57 PM
There you go...

I will be checking out some bookstores tonight. Sometimes we (in The Netherlands) get the US and/or UK trade editions before the official date of publication.

They sell it at Waterstone's Amsterdam ;)