PDA

View Full Version : Bett's Books has a NEW owner

wizardsrainbow
10-29-2009, 07:26 AM
Dear Friends and Constant Readers,

It is with great honor and enthusiasm that I assume the role of caretaker of Bett’s Books. My predecessor, Stuart Tinker, has held the position for nearly 20 years, and he is a well-known and respected figure in the Stephen King community. I would like to thank Stu for his dedication over the past years and for inspiring in so many of us a passion for all things Stephen King. My first King collectible was purchased from Stu almost 15 years ago. Stu and I plan to complete the formal transfer of ownership during the next several weeks.

Bett’s Books is synonymous with authenticity, quality and service, and I intend to uphold these values as the new owner. One of my long-term goals is to help expand people’s knowledge and appreciation for the literary works of Stephen King and to be an advocate for reading in general. I also plan to continue my support of The Haven Foundation, a national, nonprofit organization making grants to freelance writers and artists experiencing career-threatening trauma.

I simply could not be more delighted to be the new proprietor of Bett’s Books, and I look forward to providing you with the utmost care and consideration. I have several ideas for taking the business in new directions, so stay tuned!

Matt
10-29-2009, 07:28 AM
I can't imagine this working out better David. You will be the perfect caretaker for Betts and all it represents. I am so happy for you and your family. :couple:

Daghain
10-29-2009, 07:46 AM
:o

David! I knew you were up to something!

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll do a fantastic job. :couple:

turtlex
10-29-2009, 07:51 AM
CONGRATULATIONS DAVID !!

This is such wonderful news.

I'm thrilled for you.

Jon
10-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Congrats man!

You must be STOKED!

shnnrc01
10-29-2009, 12:01 PM
great news,well done and best of luck.:thumbsup:

Myste
10-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Great news! Congrats!!

gsvec
10-29-2009, 03:36 PM
I can't imagine this working out better David. You will be the perfect caretaker for Betts and all it represents. I am so happy for you and your family. :couple:
Caretaker? As in Overlook Hotel Caretaker? :scared:

wizardsrainbow
10-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Thank you everyone. I am extremely excited about this new chapter in my life.

Jean
10-29-2009, 11:40 PM
Bears are so thrilled! Congratulations!!!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Messages/congratsbear_s.jpg

ConstanToweReader
11-01-2009, 04:45 AM
Great news. I'm glad someone took over. I've been there one time and I'm going again next year. Meeting some of my Miler friends there.

Brice
11-01-2009, 04:48 AM
Umm...I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the actual store (physical place) is still closing. David will only be continuing the store as an online venture.

Nerak
11-02-2009, 06:18 AM
Congrats, Hun! I am so happy for you!

Darkthoughts
11-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Way to go!! :thumbsup:

I've never used Bett's before, but I feel myself being strangely drawn to it :D

Sam
11-05-2009, 07:03 PM
I've purchase from Stu several times over the years. Not a whole lot because I was beyond broke for most of my life, but a few times. It was Stu who sold me my first King signed book, a S/L of Insomnia as well as my second, the S/L Desperation. I still have Insomnia (Desperation was stolen by a "friend"). Stu has always been good to me, and I believe David will do the same for us all. Check it out Lisa. You may just find something you've been looking for.

turtlex
11-06-2009, 03:02 AM
I actually had a chance to visit Betts a couple of summers ago and met Stu. I loved looking around that store - it was such fun. I'm sorry David can't find a way to have a brick and mortar presence, because it really was an experience to be around so many cool collectible books. I got my Gunslinger 3rd from Betts and my UK Sphere copy of Drawing of the Three.

CRinVA
11-06-2009, 06:21 AM
I have been to Betts four times and hear is my story - yikes! pretty long but intersting I think! :-)

1 - The very first SKEMRCon (1997?) We all met up at Betts (the old location downtown) and Stu was more than gracious. He actually had giveaways for everyone that came! He provided us with the original IT Tourn map - to visit all the cool places like

The Standpipe
The Birdbath
Paul Bunyan Statue
The Barrens
The Field of Screams
King's Home
Mount Hope Cemetery
The Canal
and more!!

When I left the SKEMERCon I made a personal stop back at Betts - I was thanking Stu about me getting the Fantasy and Science Fiction (Edition with the Moving Finger and The Bear) as a giveaway and how my new friend Kevin Quigley (the utlimate fanboy) was jealous as he really wanted that issue - back then Kevin was really strapped for funds. Stu said hang on and went upstairs. When he came back he had a copy and said here give this to Kev. Wow I was amazed at his generosity!

2 - I went to the Bag of Bones booksigning - its where I met George Beahm, Bob Jackson, Charlie Fried, Chris Cavalier, Roy from Badmoon boks, Iowa Bob (a then big time collector). I was there with Kevin Quigley the Charnel House Website Owner! This signing was also at the old Betts location. While I stood in line I met Terry Goodkind and had him personalize a copy of Legends, which was one pof the two books I was haiving Sai King sign. The other being my The Stand,The Complete and Uncut Edition. On our last day there Stu showed me and Kevin a box full of foreign editions and told each of us to go ahead and pick one out - on the house! Again I am amazed at Stu's generosity!

3 - I was there for SKEMERCon #5 - it was the one previous to the Skemercon in Colorado at The Standley so I guess it was Summer of 2002. My second SKEMerCon and this time I drive to Boston and picked up Keving Quigley, Rich (Tree705) DeMars who flew in from Minnesota, Joy ? who lived in Boston, Sarah a California SKEMER, and Heather a SKEMER from Denver. As I was the driver and I drove an Astro Minivan at the time we became know as the I-Van Crew (I for my last name). Another great time in Bangor and now Betts has moved to the current location. I can't remember what but pretty sure I wanted something out of my price range at the time and Stu dropped the price for me once we were alone. Amazed yet again. As a side note, when I first got to Betts this trip Stu handed me a gift certificate to his store for $50. My wife knew I was going to Betts and found his number and called and arranged to get me the gift cert as a surprise! As a second side note - we had a contest that year to Name the SKEMERCon to be held at the Stanley in Estes Park the following year. I won the contest coming up with the name "REDRUM in the Rockies" and won a Room 217 Doorplate from the Stanley! A SKEMER friend of mine also was a co-winner with the follow on portion to the title called ", A Torrence Family Reunion!" He won a Room 217 Door Key. I purchased obe of the doorkeys from the gift shop at The Stanley the following year.

4 - and final time to Betts, went back for another SKEMERCon this time took my beautiful wife and twin sons. We played softball in the field next to the Field of Screams - we were going to go in and play on the Field of Screams, but they were preparing for the Senior Little Leage World Series. We all had Gunslinger T-Shirts to wear - I still wear mine occassionally. Of course several trips to Betts. Stu also opened him home to a SKEMER BBQ and provided all of the eats. An amazing Host if I must say so. There were a lot of people there and he has a b eautiful place across the street from The Standpipe! I did get a private tour of Stu's private SK Collection and also of the room above his garage - amazing collectibles up there including several signed Beatles items and I think I recall some persidential signed items. Very cool stuff. On the last morning of our trip we all ate at Dysarts - you have to eat at Dysarts if you visit Bangor. We said our goodbyes in the Dysarts parking lot and I decided that we (my family) needed one last stop into Betts to give Stu a copy of Lighthouse VI which I am published in. Stu and Penney read my poem and loved it and suggested I get a copy to Sai King. As a side note I have sent King a copy with a letter but have never received an acknowledgement or response. :-(

As I was browsing the store one last time to see what one more thing I could fit into the budget I was talking with Stu about the Terry Goodkind books he has for sale - he knows Terry and carried all his signed stuff. I mentioned that I liked Fantasy and really always planned on picking up the Goodkind books to start. He reached onto the shelf and pulled off a Plume Edition of Book One and gave it to me - said read it and you'll be back to buy the rest of the series. I haven't read it yet, but will! Once again Stu is generous and amazing.

Thus ends my tale of the Brick & Morter Betts! Other than all the phone orders that is! :-)

One last time I'd like to publicly say

Thank you Stu and Penny - you people are a class act!

I already told this to him personally!

And David, aka Pere Callahan, you are charged with carrying on the Betts tradition - I have no doubt you will take us to the next level of the Dark Tower! Ka says it all.

Patrick
11-08-2009, 12:23 AM
Wow, Bob, what a fantastic post. Thanks for sharing all those stories. I've never bought anything from Bett's, but I know that Stu and his crew meant a lot to a lot of people. As you have just shown so vividly, he is one of the good guys. The good news is that David is too. :)

darkdiscoveries
07-03-2010, 08:20 PM
That's great to hear! Keep up the good tradition David. Stu and Penny are very cool and I was sad to hear of Betts closing down. I bought many a King thing from them over the years.

- James
http://www.darkdiscoveries.com

wizardsrainbow
07-04-2010, 05:42 PM
It is my intention to be one of the best sources for King collectibles and for information regarding King. It's wonderful to know I have the support of fine people from this site.