PDA

View Full Version : Betts Books

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Rahfa
09-19-2009, 07:15 AM
Was this thread started somewhere else?

Anyway, email I got:

"Here is an update that will be unexpected by most of you that receive it. After almost 20 years, I have decided to sell Betts Bookstore. This has not been an easy decision to make, but I am going through some major changes in my life and it seems like the right time to do this. 2009 has been a terrible year in terms of sales volume, as most of this country has experienced. That coupled with a health scare, the impending death of my Dad, and the loss of my closest friend, I just don't have the desire to continue any longer. The business is listed with a local Realtor at a very attractive price if anyone is interested in moving to Bangor.

We will carry on with business as usual until the store sells, or Jan 1, 2010 at which time it will be shut down. We will be selling Under The Dome when it is released in November. Hopefully we will have a couple of the signed limiteds available, but we are not taking reservations for them at this time. We do have a limited number of signed copies of Terry Goodkind's new book, The Law Of Nines.

Penney and I certainly appreciate all the great friends we have met through this store, and all the business that everyone has given us over the years. We will miss all of you.

Stu"

Obviously, not good news. Unfortunately, in this market, not entirely surprising. But, hopefully he can move on and enjoy his retirement!

Pasiuk57
09-19-2009, 07:24 AM
totally sad news...I've bought a TON of stuff over the years from him and consider him a friend.....

kacod
09-19-2009, 07:25 AM
Stu is a gentleman and has always been a pleasure to do business with. Personally, I hope he has a great retirement and gets a chance to fly alot. I know our community will miss him, but after all they are just books, right?

Right?

Rahfa
09-19-2009, 07:29 AM
Yeah, I just hope it's more on the line of "time to move on and retire and do something new" as opposed to financial situations forcing something he didn't really want to do.

But...I think, and hope, he just decided it was time.

Patrick
09-19-2009, 07:37 AM
Wow, that is a surprise. I'm sorry to read about all the heavy burdens they have had to deal with emotionally recently. This economy sure isn't helping on the financial side.

I hope someone buys the business and carries on.

Best to Stu and Penney in their retirement.

willie3
09-19-2009, 07:40 AM
Sad news indeed.

Purchased most of my signed King items from Bett's.

My wife would cringe every time a package would show up with Stu Tinker as the return address.

Stu has ALWAYS been a gentleman and a sincere pleasure to do business with.

The website is one I check every day without fail no matter where I am.

As others have expressed, Stu will be sorely missed.

I can only hope he finds pleasure and enjoyment in whatever the future holds for him and Miss Penney.

Karl

Ari_Racing
09-19-2009, 07:46 AM
Sad news. Hope it's for good. :)

But well...it has been sold before. Hope the new owner/s are as cool as him.

jhanic
09-19-2009, 08:16 AM
:cry:

I bought lots of stuff from him over the years, but, alas, nothing recently. I will miss him!

John

Fsmdr
09-19-2009, 08:28 AM
Very sad news. I will miss Stu. Hard to think of Betts without him.

Darkmaniscoming
09-19-2009, 09:20 AM
woh, that hurts.

Dolan
09-19-2009, 09:28 AM
I was shocked to see this thread topic... Sad day for King collectors :cry:

sentinel
09-19-2009, 09:57 AM
Very sad news. I've know Stu for 20 years and bought many, many items
over the years. One of the most reliable and trustworthy sources around.

lophophoras
09-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Good luck to Stu in his future endeavors.

frik
09-19-2009, 12:20 PM
Wow - this is sad news.
I was in Bangor last Summer and visited Betts Books, obviously and had a nice chat with Stu.
I wish him all the best in his retirement!

sk

Sir_Boomme
09-19-2009, 01:15 PM
i say....
a going away. retirement party at Betts on Dec 18th!
always wanted to visit Stu/ Betts....

Randall Flagg
09-19-2009, 02:28 PM
I am guessing that with the "impending death" of his Dad, it will a a while until he can move on and enjoy his retirement.
Sad and terrible news.

johnsmith87
09-19-2009, 03:05 PM
I too am very saddened by this news. :cry:

Sam
09-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Sad and terrible news indeed. I have looked just now at Stu's website and found no mention of this. I intend to place an order for some stuff I've been looking at for a while. Nothing big, but every little bit will help I'm sure.

Nerak
09-19-2009, 03:18 PM
I was talking to him earlier this month and he mentioned that he was thinking about it, so it's not THAT much of a shock to me, but still a very sad day for the King world! :(

Let's do the retirement party! I will drive the three hours (depending on snow storm) to go!!

Fsmdr
09-19-2009, 04:02 PM
I was also on the phone to Stu 2 weeks ago. Purchased 4 inexpensive books from him. He mentioned what a terrible year for his business this has been, but he did not mention closing. I have been aware that his updates on his site has been far and long in between this year as he usually updates whenever books are sold or new inventory.

I say buy a book from Betts, people!. Support our favourite bookseller. :rock:

NeedfulKings
09-19-2009, 05:23 PM
I don't have much, but my Desperation proof is from Stu. Bought by my wife as a gift to me.

Best of luck, Stu.

*heads off to check his current inventory*

Nerak
09-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Wish I had the money, I would shop. But, you know what, even if this year "turns around" right now, I think he still wants out. He's been at it for some time and needs a change!

wizardsrainbow
09-19-2009, 07:54 PM
The very first book in my collection, a 1st edition 1978 Stand was purchased from Stu many years ago. We have done a ton of business since then. This is indeed sad news.

I have often said to my wife that I should buy Stu's business. I so love Collectors and Stephen King, but I'm not yet ready to make that move. If it had been 5 years from now, maybe a different story.

Nerak
09-19-2009, 08:01 PM
I don't think he will wait

Sam
09-19-2009, 08:40 PM
If I thought I could make a go at it, and if my wife were a younger woman (and not sick, I'm not willing to have us leave her oncologist) I might would consider such a move. Now though... it's just not feasible.

Matt
09-20-2009, 02:25 AM
<---wonders if he could get a loan. :drool:

So sorry to hear this about Betts, but I'm glad to know the he is thinking of himself and what makes him happy.

gsvec
09-20-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm sad for us, but happy for Stu and Penny. Going to the site now to see if it's time to place one more order. *sigh*

Pasiuk57
09-21-2009, 10:36 AM
I would LOVE to buy the place but now live in Minnesota...kind of a long commute....

jhanic
09-21-2009, 10:39 AM
I used to own my own retail store (a pet store). It's a LOT of work, but very rewarding. I averaged 60-80 hour weeks. I couldn't do that again, though.

John

Sam
09-21-2009, 07:22 PM
I DID find out that he is not selling the physical building (that is leased), but the real store (the inventory, right's to the store name, ALL the equipment that goes along with the store, and probably more than I am aware of) to whomever is willing to take it on. It actually sounds like a very good investment, and I actually kinda wish I could take on such a challenge. But I know me, and I know that it wouldn't work out.

Brice
10-01-2009, 05:48 AM
If anyone buys this I'll work for you. You can just pay me in SK books instead of money. :lol:

Rahfa
10-01-2009, 06:45 AM
Who is the broker handling the sale? I've searched, but can't find his asking price...I'm not emailing him and asking...but I am curious. If it's not the building, then the location's irrelevant - you're buying inventory and equipment. No rule says Betts Books even needs to be a physical building anymore...

I don't know if a bookstore is a good investment in this economy, but it is a business with a reputation, which is better than a start-up...

Cutter
10-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Too bad, this is sad news, as others I have bought many books off him. But if this is what he wants then I hope him the best in his retirement.

One of the sad things for collector's is this was a store where you knew you were getting a real signature. It was a lot safer bet than abebooks or ebay.

Sam
10-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Trust me Rahfa, it's a really good investment if you have somewhere to put the inventory and can run the store out of your home as an internet bookstore (at least until the economy gets better).

As a physical bookstore though I would have to look very hard before I got into it because of the overhead.

As for his asking price, I simply asked Stu when I put in an order with him a few days ago. If I thought for even one minute that I could devote the time and energy to the business, I would go for it. I can't. I have a sick wife at home who needs my attention a lot more than any customer, and I understand what Stu has been having to deal with. I walked away from a good career to care for her and while many days are just fine, there are days when she needs my total, undivided attention, and I can't let myself get distracted.

gsvec
10-01-2009, 04:31 PM
I say we pool our $ and make a loan to Hutch to buy Stu's inventory! :excited:

shibus
10-24-2009, 05:06 PM
I've been selling Sk books for a long time now and with Stu stepping down got me thinking now might be a good time to open up a store of my own. I've shipped pretty much all over the world so I thought maybe somewhere unique where I could find a growing market. Found this little place in China. What do you guys think?

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac62/shibus/bookstore.jpg

jhanic
10-24-2009, 05:31 PM
:thumbsup:

:dance:

John

Randall Flagg
10-25-2009, 06:25 AM
The rents great, but the shipping is going to kill you.

Patrick
10-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Say the name out loud.

:rofl:

Room 217 Caretaker
10-26-2009, 02:12 AM
Say the name out loud.

Let's use that in a sentence kiddies

In a frantic panic searching for UTD tickets I drove across town and found myself at the Wong Fook Hing Book Store.

:wtf: I hate when that happens

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
10-26-2009, 10:34 AM
:lol:

Brice
10-27-2009, 04:48 AM

Jean
10-27-2009, 05:45 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif

Pasiuk57
10-28-2009, 05:27 PM
I will miss Stu but....

biomieg
10-29-2009, 12:01 AM
... but? :D

Pasiuk57
10-29-2009, 03:27 AM
but who knows what the future brings!!

biomieg
10-29-2009, 03:32 AM
... very true! But for a moment I thought you would announce that you bought Bett's :)

Calla_Wolf
10-29-2009, 07:12 AM
I guess someone else got it :cyclops:

If I've just read Stu's mass mail correctly....... :dance::dance:

Ari_Racing
10-29-2009, 07:14 AM
I KNEW!! :)

Someone here is my witness. :) I knew

Congratulations!!!!! (I won't say his name, but Stu just confirmed it by sending an email).

Calla_Wolf
10-29-2009, 07:22 AM
Proof positive of the obsessive insanity that grips the King community from time to time...tho this HAS to be the crowning glory of King related purchases. Bob, Dave, Greg...all of us really...eat our hearts out :drool:

Man, you are as nutty as a fruitcake...and I think it's awesome!!! Best of luck to you!!!

wizardsrainbow
10-29-2009, 07:24 AM
Dear Friends and Constant Readers,

It is with great honor and enthusiasm that I assume the role of caretaker of Bett’s Books. My predecessor, Stuart Tinker, has held the position for nearly 20 years, and he is a well-known and respected figure in the Stephen King community. I would like to thank Stu for his dedication over the past years and for inspiring in so many of us a passion for all things Stephen King. My first King collectible was purchased from Stu almost 15 years ago. Stu and I plan to complete the formal transfer of ownership during the next several weeks.

Bett’s Books is synonymous with authenticity, quality and service, and I intend to uphold these values as the new owner. One of my long-term goals is to help expand people’s knowledge and appreciation for the literary works of Stephen King and to be an advocate for reading in general. I also plan to continue my support of The Haven Foundation, a national, nonprofit organization making grants to freelance writers and artists experiencing career-threatening trauma.

I simply could not be more delighted to be the new proprietor of Bett’s Books, and I look forward to providing you with the utmost care and consideration. I have several ideas for taking the business in new directions, so stay tuned!

jhanic
10-29-2009, 07:24 AM
I didn't get the email but my guess back a while ago was right! Congratulations, David! You are truely the king of Stephen King collectibles!

John

wizardsrainbow
10-29-2009, 07:25 AM
Dear Friends and Constant Readers,

It is with great honor and enthusiasm that I assume the role of caretaker of Bett’s Books. My predecessor, Stuart Tinker, has held the position for nearly 20 years, and he is a well-known and respected figure in the Stephen King community. I would like to thank Stu for his dedication over the past years and for inspiring in so many of us a passion for all things Stephen King. My first King collectible was purchased from Stu almost 15 years ago. Stu and I plan to complete the formal transfer of ownership during the next several weeks.

Bett’s Books is synonymous with authenticity, quality and service, and I intend to uphold these values as the new owner. One of my long-term goals is to help expand people’s knowledge and appreciation for the literary works of Stephen King and to be an advocate for reading in general. I also plan to continue my support of The Haven Foundation, a national, nonprofit organization making grants to freelance writers and artists experiencing career-threatening trauma.

I simply could not be more delighted to be the new proprietor of Bett’s Books, and I look forward to providing you with the utmost care and consideration. I have several ideas for taking the business in new directions, so stay tuned!

Sir_Boomme
10-29-2009, 07:27 AM
one question david....

did it include that cute little thing that worked for stu?

now THAT would be the deal of the century.

congrads!:excited:

wizardsrainbow
one question david....

did it include that cute little thing that worked for stu?

now THAT would be the deal of the century.

congrads!:excited:

sadly, no.

jhanic
Congratulations, David! Best of luck!

John

Sir_Boomme
10-29-2009, 07:30 AM
BTW... your first job as new owner should be to make sure you update that email list. I didn't get the email from stu either... though I've been a customer of betts for 10+ years and spent at least 30 grand there. :(

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-29-2009, 07:34 AM
Hearty congratulations David. I wish you well in your new adventure.

Clacke
10-29-2009, 07:34 AM
Fantastic, David. Congratulations! The very best of luck to you! :thumbsup:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-29-2009, 07:35 AM
Mods please rename this thread. :)

Calla_Wolf
10-29-2009, 07:38 AM
I was very sad to hear that Stu was closing after so many years. My very first signed book came from there, and I visited there on my first honeymoon, with Stu opening specially for me.

Now I know that the new owner is someone of the highest integrity, I've no concerns about the future of Betts (will the name remain?). Matey, I couldn't be more pleased for you. You have the right mix of honesty and insanity to make this work.

In another thread Sir_Boome suggests you update the mailing list. My suggestion is to re-design the website. You don't want anything too fancy (I think that would detract from its main job) but it's a little too sprawling at the moment.

All the luck in the world to you my friend.

Ceri

wizardsrainbow
10-29-2009, 07:39 AM
Thanks all. It will be a lot of work, but they say that you should do something you really enjoy...not a problem there!

willie3
10-29-2009, 07:41 AM
WOW !!

Congratulations David !!

I am also pleased and excited for all of us that Bett's has a new caretaker that cares as much about King's work and book collecting as you do.

YEA for everyone !! :rock:

Karl

e_taylor
10-29-2009, 07:43 AM
WOW! Thats amazing David - congratulations!! If you need any help at all don't hesitate to ask us!

wizardsrainbow
10-29-2009, 07:43 AM
I was very sad to hear that Stu was closing after so many years. My very first signed book came from there, and I visited there on my first honeymoon, with Stu opening specially for me.

Now I know that the new owner is someone of the highest integrity, I've no concerns about the future of Betts (will the name remain?). Matey, I couldn't be more pleased for you. You have the right mix of honesty and insanity to make this work.

In another thread Sir_Boome suggests you update the mailing list. My suggestion is to re-design the website. You don't want anything too fancy (I think that would detract from its main job) but it's a little too sprawling at the moment.

Ceri

Ah, Ceri my old friend!

Thank you for your comments, and yes, the name will remain as it has a presence in the community around the world. Sadly, the store front in Bangor will close and I will run it as a web-based business (Stu says 95%+ of orders come from e-mail/phone/web). I have several ideas, but e-mail list refinement and new design will occur as soon as I can manage it.

wizardsrainbow
10-29-2009, 07:45 AM
WOW! Thats amazing David - congratulations!! If you need any help at all don't hesitate to ask us!

I am ALWAYS open for suggestions, so send them along. Some will be utilized, others not, of course, but my goal is to give everyone the best experience I can offer.

Sir_Boomme
10-29-2009, 07:50 AM
problem is...
david will want to keep all the good stuff for his own collection ...ha ha.

bett's books inventory site goes to a couple of king related mags.
david's collection thread here expands by 50 pages.
(this is my secret reason I didn't contact stu to buy his store)

Ari_Racing
10-29-2009, 07:52 AM
Congratulations Wiz!!! What an amazing step :)

All the best luck!!

Ari_Racing
10-29-2009, 07:52 AM
So, David, are you moving to Bangor?

wizardsrainbow
10-29-2009, 07:54 AM
Stu's first words to me were you CAN NOT fall in love with the inventory. I have a strong will, so I think I can manage.

turtlex
10-29-2009, 07:54 AM
I'm so happy for you David. Wonderful news.

I'm with Eric, if there's anything you need or I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

lophophoras
10-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Congrats Wiz! Good luck with this!

I look forward to doing business with you!

Rusher
10-29-2009, 07:57 AM
WOW !!! Im so happy to hear that an Icon such at Bett's is going to be continued by someone like yourself... this is wonderful news to all Stephen
King fans and I'm sure with your passion and knowledge that Bett's will be
a fun and exciting venture for you !!! Congratulations David

wizardsrainbow
10-29-2009, 08:00 AM
This outpouring of support and congratulations is making me cry (of joy!). Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. :rose:

Sir_Boomme
10-29-2009, 08:00 AM
So, David, are you moving to Bangor?

he can't afford to move since he bought the farm:P

yeah david... stronger will than me i hope....

i've never been able to part with any of my king books as yet, so i'd have made a great caretaker... poor businessman.

still... i know you'll be tempted to keep a few of the best goodies back.... you WERE a collector 1st - BEFORE becoming a store owner.... and we all know how hard it is to shed that collector bug that's infected a good portion of us here.
only thing worse than a booze addict is a book addict

wizardsrainbow
10-29-2009, 08:04 AM
No, I am not moving to Bangor. Sadly, Stu and I decided the store will close. So very little of his business is done by "walk ins" (yes, get the DT reference!). The inventory will move down to me in CT and the business will run as a Web/phone/e-mail business, which it already is at 95%+.

Ari_Racing
10-29-2009, 08:05 AM
Well...David, what an amazing project in this particular moment :) If you believe in destiny, maybe there you have the reason why you weren't confirmed in the last job. A better opportunity was knocking at the door :)

Sir_Boomme
10-29-2009, 08:06 AM

Ceri

Ah, Ceri my old friend!

Thank you for your comments, and yes, the name will remain as it has a presence in the community around the world. Sadly, the store front in Bangor will close and I will run it as a web-based business (Stu says 95%+ of orders come from e-mail/phone/web). I have several ideas, but e-mail list refinement and new design will occur as soon as I can manage it.

that's all right... from now on...all future DT conventions will feature a visit to Dave's house.
and... in the spirit of other's here... i offer my house for storage of the inventory... any time you need it.... you just let me know.

Brice
10-29-2009, 08:13 AM
There could be no better news. :dance:

Daghain
10-29-2009, 08:16 AM
This is awesome. Congratulations David!

tippy4
10-29-2009, 08:17 AM
So Dave, will you be maintining a "brick and mortar store", or will you be doing this as an e-business?

Congrats!

wizardsrainbow
10-29-2009, 08:20 AM
Do Dave, will you be maintining a "brick and mortar store", or will you be doing this as an e-business?

Various threads going on Rick, but sadly, the Bangor store will close and I will run it as an e-business. 95%+ of Stu's sales are in this manner already.

wizardsrainbow
10-29-2009, 08:23 AM
You know, (and my wife will attest to this), for YEARS, I have told her my dream retirement job would to run Stu's business. Well, I have just turned 50 and not even close to retirement, but I am without a job and Stu wants to sell....so is it Ka? Fate? Coincidence?

Room 217 Caretaker
10-29-2009, 08:26 AM
That news just made my day.

Congrats my friend. This opportunity couldn't have gone to a more deserving and respected collector.

I'm not just saying this, I truly mean the following:

If you need help in any way moving inventory, or closing out the bricks and morter store I don't mind using some of my airline miles to fly north and help.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Fsmdr
I am so happy for you, David!. I look forward to doing business with the new owner of Betts. Congratulations on your new venture.

Will you be running the business full time?. I assume someone will have to mane the 'store' to pick up phones and get shipments packed. Do you plan to house the inventory in a separate location so people may drop in by appointments?.

carlosdetweiller
Congratulations, David, and best of luck going forward.

This promises to be very interesting and I am looking forward to the future of Betts Bookstore.

Randall Flagg
10-29-2009, 08:33 AM
I am so glad that the legacy will live on, and that David will be at the helm!
Congratulations David.

Míchéal
10-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Congratulations!!!

wizardsrainbow
10-29-2009, 08:34 AM
I am so happy for you, David!. I look forward to doing business with the new owner of Betts. Congratulations on your new venture.

Will you be running the business full time?. I assume someone will have to mane the 'store' to pick up phones and get shipments packed. Do you plan to house the inventory in a separate location so people may drop in by appointments?.

Thanks Juliana-

Once I get everything ready, I will man the "shop" myself. I am planning, at present, to house the inventory off site. Appointments are a possibility.

Randall Flagg
10-29-2009, 08:35 AM
We'll merge this with the Bett's has a new owner thread.:rock:

thecollector
10-29-2009, 08:36 AM

Ceri

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Dolan
10-29-2009, 08:41 AM

I am ALWAYS open for suggestions, so send them along. Some will be utilized, others not, of course, but my goal is to give everyone the best experience I can offer.

David - amazing! You always give us the best surprises! You know that my assistance is always available to you and I wish you the best of luck with your new venture!!!

CRinVA
10-29-2009, 08:52 AM
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! Congrats David on your new adventure!

Clacke
10-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Stu's first words to me were you CAN NOT fall in love with the inventory. I have a strong will, so I think I can manage.

Your will is stronger than mine. Me, I would start each day raring to go and each evening someone would find me amongst the books, stroking & cradling them, and not an ounce of work done. :drool:

Pasiuk57
10-29-2009, 09:40 AM
I kept the secret!!
Great news David and GOOD LUCK!!
Now I know who to call to get some more stuff!!

turtlex
10-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Now we ALL know who to call to get some more stuff! :lol:

lophophoras
10-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Will we be getting any special discounts?

:wtf:

herbertwest
10-29-2009, 10:59 AM
congratulations David!
After looking for your job, and Stu's retirement, nothing could turn better for you to achieve your dream.

A new era begins

idlewarnings
10-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Great news! Congrats, David.

Calla_Wolf
10-29-2009, 11:02 AM
The question of wanting to hang on to everything "juicy" is an interesting one.

When I was buying and selling on a large (for me) scale, I bought and sold almost all of the signed limiteds, MANY signed first editions and a ton of the rarer first editions. I wanted to keep EVERYTHING but I made a decision right at the beginning that I would enjoy and savour every item for as long as it took to sell it again. I was lucky enough to be in a position to buy new stock AND tuck a little into my creaking bank account...and I owned, however briefly, items that I couldn't dream of owning without trading. Now that Dave owns, arguably, the ULTIMATE King collectible, he has to exercise the same restraint with everything else to be able to keep it. I've NO doubt that this guy can make it work (I'd have said the same about most of the top collectors...except Bob, perhaps, because of his seemingly insatiable desire to complete), because he has deep roots in business, coupled with the fact that he's an instantly likeable guy who has a comparatively small but tight-knit community right behind him.

carlosdetweiller
10-29-2009, 11:14 AM
I've NO doubt that this guy can make it work (I'd have said the same about most of the top collectors...except Bob, perhaps, because of his seemingly insatiable desire to complete)

Dreamcrusher! As our president moves ever closer to eliminating my ability to earn a living in my present occupation I had hoped to move on to easy street and join the ranks of the online booksellers. Just list a bunch of books, sit back with my feet propped up and wait for those orders to come rolling in. Guess I'll have to think of something else now. Damn, Ceri!

jhanic
10-29-2009, 11:17 AM

John

DavidK44
10-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Excellent news! Couldn't be in better hands.

Rahfa
10-29-2009, 11:19 AM
What a huge opportunity...

And...because of your enormous collection, you can roll your extras into your inventory to add even greater gravitas to what you're selling.

No offense to Stu - I spent a lot of money with him - but I was never entirely sure he really understood the new generation of Internet collectors...Now that you bring your real knowledge of the current collecting culture, as well as contacts here (this can really change the dynamic for future ad hoc projects like the Don Maitz and Dameron remarques for instance), and your own relationships, I think this will be B-I-G.

tippy4
10-29-2009, 01:45 PM
When I met Roy from BadMoon books about a decade ago, he was selling out of his house and had a pretty cool collection. A few years later I was back at his house and his collection was gone. When I asked him about it, he said, "well, I decided I couldn't be a dealer AND a collector".

I think what he was saying is that if he stayed a collector, it would be bad for his business because he would want to keep everything.

Watch out David that you don't find yourself in that predicament! :P

Rahfa
10-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Haha...I think it will be the opposite...

You sell one thing, it's no problem...just buy another one!

Ari_Racing
10-29-2009, 02:24 PM
Scene 01:

- Hi David. I saw you have a Lettered edition of Under the Dome for U$S6000. I'll buy it.

(David): Sorry...it's not for sale.

- But you have it in your stock..

- Yes...but it's not for sale.

Scene 2:

David has a Lettered ed of... :D

Brice
10-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Scene 3:

"I saw this remarqued book on your site."

"You must be mistaken there are no remarqued books for sale."

"You mean you have none for sale?"

"No, I mean there are none for sale (anywhere, ever again)" :lol:

gsvec
10-29-2009, 03:32 PM
I'm just finally catching up on today's post and am truly excited! Congratulations, David, on your new "baby" - I can't think of a more perfect person to take the helm of Betts. It will be sad for Bangor visitors not to have the bricks and mortar to visit, but I think it was a wise decision to make it 100% online since it was almost there already. I'd love to help in any way I can, so please don't hesitate to ask! I'm so happy for you! :excited:

wizardsrainbow
10-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Boy oh boy. I am feelin' the love people. Thank you, thank you thank you. It makes me even more excited that I will get to know some of you even better, and I cannot think of a nicer, more intelligent group of people than the ones here on this site. So kudos to ALL OF YOU, as you are the ones that make this all possible!

And yes, I think I am pretty plugged into the collecting scene as well as having some pretty great contacts in Michael Whelan, Jae Lee, Richard Isanove and the like. LOTS of possibilities out there, and believe me, I have the PASSION, don't ever question that.

As for becoming married to my collection, I heed the warnings loud and clear! Time will tell whether that will become an "issue" for me or not. I am already asking myself whether I would ever selling some of the following: :cry: :doh:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/wiz3.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/IMG_0078.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Susannah_Orizas.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/Stand_Signed.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/DOTT_Authors1.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Gilead.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/wizremarque1.jpg

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Orange_Gunslinger1.jpg

jhanic
10-29-2009, 05:57 PM
I'm glad I don't have to make those decisions! Of course, that's why I'd never open a King bookstore.

John

e_taylor
10-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Tons of possibilities with a guy like David at the helm, thats for sure!

Artist projects like we've been seeing of late, an enshrined list of DT owners, and likely access to even more info in that regard..... can't wait to see what you do with it David!

Rahfa
10-29-2009, 07:29 PM
SELL, BUY, SELL AGAIN

Patrick
10-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Just on the site for the first time after an extremely busy day...

Wow. While John predicted it, I didn't believe it. Then again I had no idea that 95% of the sales were online and on phone.

David,

Congratulations, truly, and from the bottom of my heart. I am extraordinarily happy for you, incredibly excited for you, and wholeheartedly rooting for you.

With your combination of skill for business, love of Stephen King collectibles, and fresh vision, you are going to excel in this new venture. I wish you the best knowing full well that you will succeed.

In Hoc Signo Vinces,
- Patrick

oy-the-brave
10-29-2009, 08:38 PM
Congrats David, I hope you do well :rock: and don't have too much :pullhair:

:wtf:

Fsmdr
10-29-2009, 09:00 PM

Wow. While John predicted it, I didn't believe it. Then again I had no idea that 95% of the sales were online and on phone.

David,

Congratulations, truly, and from the bottom of my heart. I am extraordinarily happy for you, incredibly excited for you, and wholeheartedly rooting for you.

With your combination of skill for business, love of Stephen King collectibles, and fresh vision, you are going to excel in this new venture. I wish you the best knowing full well that you will succeed.

In Hoc Signo Vinces,
- Patrick

Well said, Patrick.

gsvec
10-29-2009, 09:03 PM

David,

In Hoc Signo Vinces,
- Patrick

Well said, Patrick.
Ditto :thumbsup:

Brice
10-30-2009, 02:04 AM
Tritto! :lol:

So...I'm guessing this means the job hunt is over then. :D

Nerak
10-30-2009, 04:45 AM
David, popped into here to make a quick congrats. Although I have already said it to you!

You are the perfect man for the job and I couldn't imagine anyone else taking over for Stu!

Love ya, Huh!

Huggles!! :couple:

wizardsrainbow
10-30-2009, 06:58 AM
Tritto! :lol:

So...I'm guessing this means the job hunt is over then. :D

Alas, no. At its current size, Betts does not generate enough $$ to support my family here in CT (MUCH higher cost of living than Maine), so will need to supplement and find some balance in all of this.

Cutter
10-30-2009, 07:31 AM
Congrats David, this is great news for yourself and for us as the collectors.

All of us were sad to see such store being sold where we knew we could get legitimate King signatures. Now with you taking over, someone we trust, the collectors can take solace in the new owner of Bett's Books. Congrats!

btw, I'm a little jelious, lol. Having a King Bookstore would be a fun operation to run!

Sam
10-30-2009, 09:14 AM
First, congratulations David.

Second, will you be changing your name on the forum to reflect your new status as the owner of Betts?

I envy you dude, I really do. I wish I had been able to take on such a challenge, but life is what it is. If there is anything I can do to help, ask me.

David, I can't think of ANYONE who is better suited, both with your contacts and with your loved for the material, for this venture. Your running Betts only bodes well for this community, and I look forward to what the future brings.

frik
10-30-2009, 10:26 AM
David - congratulations from The Netherlands.
This is excellent news and I'm sure I'll be one of your customers!!:)

sk

namelessnpoor
10-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Congrats !!!!, if i had been in the position to take the plunge you have, i would have in a heart beat, Though i must say, i would certainly have a ahrd time letting some of those books leave my hands !!!

jreitan47
10-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Congrats David! I've known Stu & Penney for over 10 years now after having visited the original downtown store 11 years ago and I still call them good friends. Even though the King collecting bug has pretty much left me, the memories from that first trip out to Bangor in the summer of 1998 and meeting some life-long friends because of it will never leave me. I have Betts Bookstore to thank for the memories and joys of a 10 year passion of Stephen King fandom and which eventually led me to become involved in the horror business as an editor and book reviewer.

Basically, the legacy of Betts Bookstore has made an important impact on my life and I'm honored to know that it will remain in the hands of someone very passionate for not only the world of Stephen King collecting, but the entire literary field in general. You have some very big shoes to fill, David, but I know you can do it. Please let me know if there's anything you ever need. I may be one of the "oldies" who's not all active anymore, but I'm still around and still have a few resources up my sleeves.

Jonathan Reitan

super sam
10-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Congrats David! Looking forward to buy some nice items from you!

wizardsrainbow
10-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Congrats David! I've known Stu & Penney for over 10 years now after having visited the original downtown store 11 years ago and I still call them good friends. Even though the King collecting bug has pretty much left me, the memories from that first trip out to Bangor in the summer of 1998 and meeting some life-long friends because of it will never leave me. I have Betts Bookstore to thank for the memories and joys of a 10 year passion of Stephen King fandom and which eventually led me to become involved in the horror business as an editor and book reviewer.

Basically, the legacy of Betts Bookstore has made an important impact on my life and I'm honored to know that it will remain in the hands of someone very passionate for not only the world of Stephen King collecting, but the entire literary field in general. You have some very big shoes to fill, David, but I know you can do it. Please let me know if there's anything you ever need. I may be one of the "oldies" who's not all active anymore, but I'm still around and still have a few resources up my sleeves.

Jonathan Reitan

Jonathan! Thank you so much, and it is SO great to "see" you. We think of you more than you could guess. Yes, you are one of the "good" ones!

wizardsrainbow
10-30-2009, 05:38 PM

Ahhhhhhhh, customers lining up at my door :lol:

Fsmdr
10-30-2009, 08:39 PM

Ahhhhhhhh, customers lining up at my door :lol:

I can't wait for you to be open for business, David. What an honor it would be to be your 1st customer. There is a tradition among my friends; for someone opening their doors for business on the 1st day, we would fight over who would be the 1st customer. The lucky person would pay in cash and the bill would then be framed by the proprietor, sometimes with the date printed under it. You know that I will be counting down to your opening day. :dance:

Patrick
10-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Sure, man. My post gets quadruple quoted, yet no love from you whatsoever. I see how it is. Way to treat your potential future customer base. :P

:couple:

wizardsrainbow
10-31-2009, 02:28 AM
:cry::cry::cry: You know I loves ya man. I mean, you were my roommie in Vegas. I know it sounds bizarre, but I DO worry sometimes that when I do not respond specifically to someone's post, they might take offense. Not that I think you would Patrick, but I do try to treat all fairly. So, CRY YER PARDON! :rose:

gsvec
10-31-2009, 06:56 AM
Yep. Wiz also has the definite schmooz factor needed to be a successful business owner. :thumbsup:

tippy4
10-31-2009, 07:50 AM
I was was watching A&E this morning, and they were running a BIOGRAPHY on Stephen King, and Stu had a small scene in it!

Maybe if they do a new one in a couple years David will get to be in it! :P

wizardsrainbow
10-31-2009, 08:37 AM
I was was watching A&E this morning, and they were running a BIOGRAPHY on Stephen King, and Stu had a small scene in it!

Maybe if they do a new one in a couple years David will get to be in it! :P

Yeah, that piece aired awhile back, but it is pretty good.

As for me....be watching stephenking.com over the next month. Mayhap, you might see me there!

Patrick
10-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Aw, I was just teasing you, David. :couple:

Hope to see you on stephenking.com (finally a reason to bother going there) and someday television!

Scoogs
11-01-2009, 12:29 PM
Excellent news Wiz! I'm glad to know it went to one of the good guys.

gsvec
11-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Yeah, could you imagine what would've happened if Tim Miller bought it? :shudders:

Sam
11-01-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm afraid you're going to hell for that one Gretchen.

Seriously, one would hope that Stu wouldn't have done such a thing for any amount of money. Fortunately, we don't have to find out.

wizardsrainbow
11-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Here is an update on the sale of Betts Books:

I am planning to drive to Bangor on Thanksgiving Day and finalize the sale with Stu the following day, Friday. Will load up the inventory etc. that day and drive it back to CT likely on Saturday.

Betts Books LLC has been created in the state of CT, and a list of many other forms/paperwork filed with the state/IRS/town. Phone guy comes next Tuesday to install lines etc. Slowly, but surely all the background work is being done to get me set up here. There may be a short period of time between when Stu "closes up" and I can "reopen" for business. Initially, the web site will remain with the same look until my people can help me redesign the site. Looking for a spring unveiling of a new look and user-friendly service for the website.

Am excited as hell about all of this!!!

On a side note, had a good interview with a financial services company 30 minutes away from home. Not getting my hopes up, but I am going for round 2 next Wednesday. If I get this job, it's going to be pretty crazy round here getting two ventures going at once.

jhanic
11-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Best of luck in both ventures, David!

John

Patrick
11-19-2009, 11:10 AM
Good luck on both fronts, David!

turtlex
11-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Double :goodmind: coming your way, David !

And drive carefully on Thanksgiving !

carlosdetweiller
11-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Good luck, David, on both fronts. I'm pulling for you.

lophophoras
11-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Hope it all works out for you!

Nerak
11-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Good luck with the job prospect and congratrs on the "baby". I know Betts is in good hands with you!

Fsmdr
11-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Have a safe trip out there, David. A lot of great things to come for you.

NeedfulKings
11-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Good luck, man. On both fronts.

I can't wait to order my first book from your new collection. :rock:

Calla_Wolf
11-20-2009, 03:01 AM

Dolan
11-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Great news David! Again, though I am in NYC, if there is anything I can help with, don't hesitate to ask! :)

wizardsrainbow
11-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the support. This is going to be a mad busy week. Will try to update you all when I can.

Happy Turkey Day everyone!!!

Ari_Racing
11-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Good luck, WIZ!!! Can't wait to hear news from you!!!

Eric719691
11-22-2009, 07:19 PM
Well there goes that idea. Was going to drive up to Betts in December to buy myself some Christmas gifts.

David, I wish you the best with the new venture. If you need any muscle moving things around let me know. I live on the shoreline in Connecticut.

Eric

wizardsrainbow
11-29-2009, 05:37 AM
Well there goes that idea. Was going to drive up to Betts in December to buy myself some Christmas gifts.

David, I wish you the best with the new venture. If you need any muscle moving things around let me know. I live on the shoreline in Connecticut.

Eric

Eric-

Thanks. Will let you know. I live in Fairfield Ct, so you and Betts are now neighbors!

wizardsrainbow
11-29-2009, 05:47 AM
Sore and exhausted, but I am now the new owner of Betts Books!

All went well in Bangor, despite the rain (not bad in Bangor while loading the truck, but the drive home was a torrential downpour in the dark). I rented a 26' truck to load everything and had some room to spare, but boy, is there a lotta stuff!

Please be patient as it will take me some time to get things organized here in CT so I can "officially open for business." I'll let you know how everything is progressing. Still have to unload half the truck. In the meantime, here are some pics from the move:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Move3.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Move11.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/Move2.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/David11.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/move31.JPG

Randall Flagg
11-29-2009, 06:46 AM
Good job David. Glad King could make it.:P

Nerak
11-29-2009, 08:13 AM
OMG! The store looks soooo empty! But everyone looks so happy, even Steve!

Rahfa
11-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Haha....I totally got fooled by that SK cutout...For a second, I actually thought he showed up to see you off!

ChristineB
11-29-2009, 09:01 AM
Good to hear it went well. Sad to see the store so empty. Good to see all seem to be happy!

alinda
11-29-2009, 09:30 AM
OMG!!! Congratulations David, I am so very happy to read this news.
If anyone ....well..., Just the best luck in the whole wide world to you!
Amazing news...I am awestruck...wow. :D

ChristineB
11-29-2009, 10:07 AM
My question is how are you ever going to bring yourself to part with some of the stuff from the store? hehe

turtlex
11-29-2009, 10:37 AM
Congrats again, David !!

Super cool !!

Patrick
11-29-2009, 11:14 AM
Congratulations, David. Glad to hear it all went well. :thumbsup:

Hope you didn't unload those books in that rainstorm! :P

wizardsrainbow
11-29-2009, 05:51 PM
Congratulations, David. Glad to hear it all went well. :thumbsup:

Hope you didn't unload those books in that rainstorm! :P

No, perfect weather here in CT yesterday and today. The books have a new home and ready to be unpacked, sorted etc.

To all my friends, customers and collectors: It will take me some time to get all of this stuff organized, so the "store" will be closed still for awhile longer, but I aim to get up and running as soon as I can. Longer term plan is a full revamp of the website with an unveiling of a new site early this spring. Already working on lots of new ideas. You are gonna like it! I even got word that StephenKing.com will link my site to theirs!

I am so so excited about all of this. I aim to please as many of you as I can (you know what I mean!)

jhanic
11-29-2009, 05:53 PM

John

Pasiuk57
11-29-2009, 06:09 PM
NICE!!
You WILL do well...

gsvec
11-30-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm just so happy for you, David! :thumbsup:

Nerak
11-30-2009, 07:41 PM
I aim to please as many of you as I can (you know what I mean!)

:drool:

oh crap, THAT'S not what you meant! lol

NeedfulKings
11-30-2009, 07:54 PM
LOL at the picture with "King." Nice!!

I wish you all the success you deserve, David.

herbertwest
12-02-2009, 10:42 AM
The Betts Bookstore didnt have ONLY King books.
Is the property of those also transferred?

Any french items in the list? :)

Sam
12-02-2009, 02:09 PM
My understanding was the entire store inventory, even the promotional posters on the wall. I'm not sure if the shelves were included or not, but I'm certain all the books regardless of author were included.

turtlex
12-02-2009, 02:32 PM
I think I saw bookcases in the photos that Wiz posted!! So, that would include the shelves!

When I was there a couple of years ago... I didn't see anything French. I did see a couple of UK edition ( and bought one myself ) and I think something German.

ChristineB
12-02-2009, 02:35 PM
If you look at the pics of the moving van there are some shelves there, not that that means they came from the store, but it makes me lean in that direction. :)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-02-2009, 02:42 PM
... and I think something German.

That would be the photo of Hitler without his moustache!

Resident Chris
12-03-2009, 03:50 AM
... and I think something German.

That would be the photo of Hitler without his moustache!

LOOOL!

But at the German i´m very interested... Well, we see it when Dave has all ready!

wizardsrainbow
12-04-2009, 12:49 PM
My understanding was the entire store inventory, even the promotional posters on the wall. I'm not sure if the shelves were included or not, but I'm certain all the books regardless of author were included.

I got everything in the store, all books, magazines, bookcases, display cases, printer, inventory system, phones, shipping boxes...EVERYTHING. I filled a 26' U-Haul with everything. There is a TREMENDOUS amount of stuff to sort through. King books, Goodkind books, Aviation and Auto books, artwork...my brain is spinning.

Patrick
12-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Hang in there, David. You'll get it all sorted out. Bummer that you're closed for the Christmas gift giving season though.

wizardsrainbow
12-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Hang in there, David. You'll get it all sorted out. Bummer that you're closed for the Christmas gift giving season though.

Maybe not!

lophophoras
12-04-2009, 01:20 PM
:orely:

Will we possibly see some special Xmas deals just for your buddies here?

:evil:

wizardsrainbow
12-17-2009, 06:27 AM
Betts Books is open for business! I can process orders, but as I've still not unpacked all the inventory, please have some patience with me as I process and ship your order. There is still a ton of behind-the-scenes stuff that needs to get up and running though.

Either today or tomorrow will be some last minute "stocking stuffer" books that I have for sale that I have accumulated over the past month...lots of flatsigned Dark Tower books!

david@bettsbooks.com or (203) 292-8616; same website address: www.bettsbooks.com

Ari_Racing
12-17-2009, 06:46 AM
YEAH!! Way to go, David!!! All the luck for this incredible step! :)

turtlex
12-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Awesome, David ! A real milestone for sure. Congrats.

Can't wait to see those stocking-stuffers!

biomieg
12-17-2009, 07:33 AM
Congratulations David! Well done!

herbertwest
12-17-2009, 09:23 AM
Any discounts for the opening? :P

Best of luck with it, and i am looking forward for the new website

lophophoras
12-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Stocking stuffers?

:orely:

Patrick
12-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Congrats on getting back open so soon, David!

To be honest, I've never liked the set-up on Bett's site, so I'm really looking forward to your new one.

wizardsrainbow
12-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Stocking stuffers are posted on the site! They won't really fit in a stocking...Shrek's maybe but not a regular one.

Nerak
12-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Cool Dave!!!

lophophoras
12-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Stocking stuffers are posted on the site! They won't really fit in a stocking...Shrek's maybe but not a regular one.

LOL...I have a Shrek sized stocking so I guess I need to head over to your site and check out the deals.

:panic:

***Even though it won't fit in my Shrek sized stocking, I'd love to get my hands on that Letters From Hell. I have had my eyes on it for a while. I had considered contacting Stu about it but never did. I may have to work something out with you on that one David.***

wizardsrainbow
12-18-2009, 06:05 AM

LOL...I have a Shrek sized stocking so I guess I need to head over to your site and check out the deals.

:panic:

***Even though it won't fit in my Shrek sized stocking, I'd love to get my hands on that Letters From Hell. I have had my eyes on it for a while. I had considered contacting Stu about it but never did. I may have to work something out with you on that one David.***

Happy to serve. Just let me know.

wizardsrainbow
12-18-2009, 06:09 AM
Just FYI, the Viking and Grant signed DT books (and the signed UTD) came from a woman I know in Maine who works/lives at a bookstore that King frequents. He occasionally signs books when he comes in. I have purchased from her before. The sigs are absolutely legit and the books and jackets are very very nice. She is in the process of moving, so I bought her signed copies. Thought I'd throw that background in, in case someone was nervous about my shady reputation.

The 1st Viking Waste Lands has already been spoken for.

A great chance to buy a signed DT book and not pay through the nose!

bast_imret
12-18-2009, 06:30 AM
Thought I'd throw that background in, in case someone was nervous about my shady reputation.

Nerak
12-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Yeah, cause we know that priests are not trustworthy! LOL

Oh wait, that's only when it comes to little boys.....:ninja:

Sam
12-18-2009, 10:42 AM
:rofl::lol: You ain't right girl. :lol::rofl:

gsvec
12-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Yeah, cause we know that priests are not trustworthy! LOL

Oh wait, that's only when it comes to little boys.....:ninja:
:rofl: :panic:

gsvec
12-18-2009, 03:22 PM
I just logged into the Betts site, and I already see improvement simply with the home page layout! :clap:

Brice
12-18-2009, 03:25 PM
That is SO very wrong, Karen! :rofl:

Sam
12-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Agreed Gretchen.

wizardsrainbow
12-19-2009, 07:14 AM
There is LOTS of work to do, but the plan for a re-launch of the site in spring will include self-checkout, and a much more user-friendly way to seek out books rather than scrolling down that long inventory page.

turtlex
12-19-2009, 07:16 AM
Oh, that sounds great, David.

I hope, too, that you plan on some kind of mailing list?

wizardsrainbow
12-19-2009, 07:19 AM
Oh, that sounds great, David.

I hope, too, that you plan on some kind of mailing list?

Pam, definitely!
Stu put his list on a disk, but I cannot upload it to my outlook in an easy manner. (I put my 16-year-old 4,000 text messages per month son on the task and he can't either), so Stu is trying a different way.

My plan is to have more regular "newsletters" and I may have a blog on the site. Lots to consider.

lophophoras
12-19-2009, 07:24 AM
David, that all sounds really cool. I look forward to the relaunch.

willie3
12-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Very excited about the possibilties David, and anxiously awaiting the site relaunch !!:P

Karl

Fsmdr
12-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Can't wait to see your new site and everything else you have planned for it.

Patrick
12-19-2009, 10:27 AM
... and a much more user-friendly way to seek out books rather than scrolling down that long inventory page.
This is the part I look forward to, David.

Brice
12-20-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm just curious....did Chris Cavalier's collection go along with the store? :unsure:

Rahfa
12-20-2009, 01:06 PM
That "super collection" Betts was selling for awhile? I assume it was included, right?...A lot of it is still listed for sale on the page.

carlosdetweiller
12-20-2009, 06:05 PM
I just made my first purchase at the new Betts Bookstore! Off and running!

Sam
12-20-2009, 07:27 PM
Wha'dja get, wha'dja get?

Pasiuk57
12-20-2009, 07:28 PM
I just received my first package on Sat pm. GREAT work David!!

wizardsrainbow
12-20-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm just curious....did Chris Cavalier's collection go along with the store? :unsure:

Brice-
Yes, the inventory came along. Chris still owns the books. I house them and collect a small consignment fee when his books sell.

wizardsrainbow
12-20-2009, 07:46 PM
I have to say be patient with me as I am finding that what is listed on the site doesn't always match with what I have unpacked so far. Some consignments were returned and some books have sold that were never deleted from the site. So, please ask and I will check on a book for you.

Sam
12-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Sounds very reasonable David.

Calla_Wolf
12-20-2009, 11:48 PM
I have to say be patient with me as I am finding that what is listed on the site doesn't always match with what I have unpacked so far. Some consignments were returned and some books have sold that were never deleted from the site. So, please ask and I will check on a book for you.

I loved Stu to bits...but always thought his www presence was a little.....chaotic?

You take your time and get it right matey - we can wait

Calla_Wolf
12-20-2009, 11:49 PM

Whatwhatwhat?????

carlosdetweiller
12-21-2009, 02:40 AM

Whatwhatwhat?????

A signed trade edition of DT6. It has a nice looking signature on the title page.

Brice
12-21-2009, 05:03 AM

Brice-
Yes, the inventory came along. Chris still owns the books. I house them and collect a small consignment fee when his books sell.

Cool! Like I said I was just curious. Chris helped me with a question shortly before he sold and left .net. Other than that we hadn't really talked any, but he seemed like a nice guy then. :)

carlosdetweiller
12-21-2009, 05:36 AM
Cool! Like I said I was just curious. Chris helped me with a question shortly before he sold and left .net. Other than that we hadn't really talked any, but he seemed like a nice guy then. :)

He still is. I talk to him occasionally even though he no longer collects. He still follows King collectibles pretty closely.

Brice
12-21-2009, 05:47 AM

He still is. I talk to him occasionally even though he no longer collects. He still follows King collectibles pretty closely.

He was very friendly and helpful to me.

I do find it inconceivable though (for me) selling a collection like that. It would be the same as if you ever did.

Nerak
12-21-2009, 04:21 PM
David,

If you need data entry work done, I type pretty fast and am anal retentive.
I could type the list into a different format for you to upload? Something more user friendly?
Just offering to help. No charge!

Sam
12-21-2009, 04:51 PM
Way to kiss up Karen!:thumbsup::lol::P

just kidding

wizardsrainbow
12-22-2009, 07:00 AM
David,

If you need data entry work done, I type pretty fast and am anal retentive.
I could type the list into a different format for you to upload? Something more user friendly?
Just offering to help. No charge!

Karen-

Thank you for that offer. If Stu fails in delivering a new list, I may take you up on that offer. :huglove:

Nerak
12-22-2009, 07:37 AM
I am not sucking up, just offering to help a friend my skills.

:huglove:

turtlex
12-22-2009, 08:18 AM
David - Anything at all I can help with, don't hesitate to ask. Sincerely.

gsvec
12-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Here, too, David. I'm kind of a jack of all trades, so just ask! :D

Patrick
12-22-2009, 08:54 PM
David, if you want to go to Vegas and drink cocktails, please know that oy-the-brave and I are here for you.

sarah
12-22-2009, 09:02 PM
I'm always up for a vegas run, fyi :D

oy-the-brave
12-22-2009, 09:08 PM
David, if you want to go to Vegas and drink cocktails, please know that oy-the-brave and I are here for you.

Yes always and maybe even a Gunslinger Burger :cowboy:

Patrick
12-22-2009, 09:11 PM
:lol: A Gunslinger burger, that's right! I want one. Sarah probably does too. David will after a long day of sorting things out in the store.

Nerak
12-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Did I mention that I am trying to get to Vegas for my 40th birthday next June?? Who's with me?!?!?!

Patrick
12-23-2009, 11:34 AM
Did I mention that I am trying to get to Vegas for my 40th birthday next June?? Who's with me?!?!?!

Don't want to derail the Bett's thread any more than I've already started to, but you will definitely need to start a discussion on this topic in the Random Thoughts thread and let us all know the dates as soon as possible. :thumbsup: Also for maximum exposure, perhaps start a thread in the other forum where TDT.com get-togethers are discussed.

bast_imret
12-23-2009, 06:15 PM
I'll be in Vegas in March for 311 Day.

Just wanted to sneak that in real quick :rock:

Keep up the good work David! And don't hesitate to ask for feedback or help!

wizardsrainbow
12-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Sold 4 more of my "stocking stuffers" today. Have now sold about 1/2 of the books I've accumulated over the last month. Guess I'm doing something right!

sarah
12-23-2009, 10:31 PM
congrats David!!! That is so great that you are getting off to such a good start. :excited:

nerak, I double dog dare you to start a vegas thread. :ninja:

turtlex
12-24-2009, 03:31 AM
Awesome, David !! Well done. And, well... I know where I'm sending my girlfriend when my birthday comes around so ... :D

NOW it was serious. A double-dog-dare. What else was there but a "triple dare you"? And then, the coup de grace of all dares, the sinister triple-dog-dare. - A Christmas Story

Nerak
12-24-2009, 05:23 AM
Awesome, David !! Well done. And, well... I know where I'm sending my girlfriend when my birthday comes around so ... :D

NOW it was serious. A double-dog-dare. What else was there but a "triple dare you"? And then, the coup de grace of all dares, the sinister triple-dog-dare. - A Christmas Story

done and done (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=473392#post473392)

Ricky
12-24-2009, 10:15 AM

You beat me to that reference! :lol:

Patrick
12-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Sold 4 more of my "stocking stuffers" today. Have now sold about 1/2 of the books I've accumulated over the last month. Guess I'm doing something right!

artan
01-01-2010, 04:15 AM
David, I read about your news, Congratulations!!!!!
I'm so excited for you...it will be a great adventure!!! The very best of luck to you!

:dance:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-22-2010, 07:25 AM
Hey this new guy at Betts actually updates the website! That's a huge improvement already. :)

ChristineB
01-22-2010, 09:17 AM
:excited:

inertia1215
02-11-2010, 09:16 AM
I know i'm a little late, but congrats on aquiring the store, hope it is still running smoothly.
Am super excited now that I can visit Betts in my old home town!!! So cool, I can't wait to make it back up home now, makes the trip even more exciting!!

CRinVA
02-25-2010, 07:14 AM
I gotta say that David runs a fine ship at Betts. I ordered two books, one listed as a sale of a reader's copy (still a 1st) and a second 1st that help complete my set of 1st Editions) they were both upgrades to my copies which hads embossed stamps of "from the Library of..." from back when I was young and foolish and knew nothing of collecting.

Now I have nice 1sts of Christine and Different Seasons - the Readers copy was better than the 1st ed I had anyway.

Thanks David!!!

And they also arrived well packed and rather quickly too!

I am so glad that Betts is open for business!

Only two more 1sts to go (both toughies on my budget - Salem's Lot and the Gunslinger) and the 4 Bachman paperbacks to go!

east-tennessee
03-05-2010, 09:17 PM
Congrats David....
You sure do have alot of new listings, and glad to see Bett's update the site daily.
I look forward to doing business with ya....
I can't believe I missed out on that DT viking set....my loss...
I'm looking for a 1st...F/F Dead Zone ...

wizardsrainbow
03-06-2010, 07:02 AM
I gotta say that David runs a fine ship at Betts. I ordered two books, one listed as a sale of a reader's copy (still a 1st) and a second 1st that help complete my set of 1st Editions) they were both upgrades to my copies which hads embossed stamps of "from the Library of..." from back when I was young and foolish and knew nothing of collecting.

Now I have nice 1sts of Christine and Different Seasons - the Readers copy was better than the 1st ed I had anyway.

Thanks David!!!

Only two more 1sts to go (both toughies on my budget - Salem's Lot and the Gunslinger) and the 4 Bachman paperbacks to go!

And now Bob, you are down to just the Salem's Lot!

Pasiuk57
03-06-2010, 07:15 AM
I just got back from China and received a NICE item from Betts!
Thanks again David!!
The box and contents were great!!

CRinVA
03-08-2010, 05:30 AM
Yes I am David - Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Thanks David!!!

And now Bob, you are down to just the Salem's Lot!

wizardsrainbow
03-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Hey collectors!!! Would you be interested in seeing a sample list of what prices I am realizing these days at Betts? You might be surprised at some of the prices people are paying...sometimes much different from eBay.

If there is enough support, I can put a list together. It will not betray any customer relationships.

Wiz

Dolan
03-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Hey collectors!!! Would you be interested in seeing a sample list of what prices I am realizing these days at Betts? You might be surprised at some of the prices people are paying...sometimes much different from eBay.

If there is enough support, I can put a list together. It will not betray any customer relationships.

Wiz

I'd actually love to see that. Now that you ARE the market, it would be very interesting for sure.

Sam
03-08-2010, 11:56 AM
I would absolutely love to see the price list. I would like to know where the market is heading too.

jhanic
03-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Sounds interesting to me too!

John