PDA

View Full Version : Betts Books

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

Roseannebarr
11-02-2018, 11:15 AM
Fitting that two big boxes should be arriving today from David :)
Nice. Can't wait to see what they are.

Nothing too exciting. A dozen+ 1st/1st that I'm currently missing from my collection.
Congrats Brian! And yes it is exciting :)

Thanks, Lori! I was thinking while I was opening the boxes that there are more King titles in here than most authors will ever write in their lifetimes. And after filling up almost two bookcases, realizing how much stuff I'm still missing!

Are you missing any of the newer titles? 1/2 price books has tons of King. Going there on the 11th. Send me a list. But not the expensive ones!

Brian861
11-02-2018, 11:25 AM
Are you missing any of the newer titles? 1/2 price books has tons of King. Going there on the 11th. Send me a list. But not the expensive ones!

I have most if not all of the newest titles, Glenn. I'll do a sweep and let ya know. Still missing quite a few of the UK copies but I doubt 1/2 price will have any of those. Thanks for the offer!

Brian861
11-03-2018, 09:41 AM

I have most if not all of the newest titles, Glenn. I'll do a sweep and let ya know. Still missing quite a few of the UK copies but I doubt 1/2 price will have any of those. Thanks for the offer!

Your inbox is full, Glenn.

Brian861
11-03-2018, 10:35 PM
This message is on the Camelot home page and I can't help but wonder if some of the changes have to do with what happened to David:

Due to the ever increasing “porch pirate” problems, and the fact that we are now heading into the Holiday shipping frenzy, we are going to institute a change in our shipping policy to protect our customers.

Effective 11/1/18, any shipment within the United States, will contain a Signature Requirement on the package and media mail shipping will be increase from $7.00 to $10.00 for the first book (there is no change to the $1.50 additional per book in the same box cost). Please realize that we have not increased our shipping costs in the 22 years we have been in business, but feel that this is needed to protect customer’s books.

The only shipments within the United States that will NOT have a Signature Confirmation attached to them will be those shipping to a Post Office Box address.

MikeDuke
11-04-2018, 06:38 AM
It sure sounds that way to me Brian.

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2018, 07:48 AM
Customer Gunslinger S/L Update:

Bottom line: Found out today that VISA sided with its customer and I'm still out $7500. Just unreal!...Quickly for those of you who don't know, I sold a consigned Gunslinger S/L marked "Special" (the only one I've ever seen in 30 years) to a repeat customer of mine in Virginia in June. I gave him free shipping, even sent book Express and sent him tracking number the day I shipped (so a day before it was to be delivered). In late August, I get notice from Intuit (my Quickbooks CC processing company/accounting provider) that he challenged my $7500 VISA charge...protocol dictates that they take $7500 from my Betts checking to make the guy "whole" and it is up to me to prove my innocence. I file 23 pages of data with Intuit to support that I did everything correct and even have a statement from USPS that shows package delivered. Intuit forwards my supporting docs to VISA. I call customer to say I'm out $7500 and he says sorry, I (me) did nothing wrong and he thinks Post Office should be responsible as package was "stolen" from his porch. I ask him to reverse the claim. He says he will talk to VISA.....I call Intuit a couple weeks later and they tell me VISA has 60 days to respond....well that means October 29th.

So I call Intuit today....they put me on hold to speak to VISA and come back to tell me that VISA sided with customer and that the case is now closed. I'm pretty furious (and for those of you who know me, my "fuse" is a mile long, so to piss me off takes some doing). I call Intuit again demanding to speak to a case manager. She tells me that I'd never win anyway despite all my "evidence" because I did not do signature confirmation....for those of you who print/ship their own labels, USPS.com does NOT give you option on Express for signature...I have figured out now afterward that you must first choose Priority Mail, choose Signature Confirmation and them change shipping to Express which will keep the Sig Conf behind the scenes (again, found this out the hard way)...So Intuit tells me today that I should call the customer myself (well, I've done that twice to no avail).

I investigated quickly small claims court in VA but limit is $5,000. A customer and friend from VA told me today that I'd have trouble in the VA court system anyway because no signature was required (even though I did everything customer asked AND gave him free shipping AND I have Delivery Confirmation from post office). Best advice so far is to file a police report with local police.

I'm still out $7500 which for me is a HUGE amount of money to be lost. I have consignees to pay etc. I'm looking for advice on how to proceed. I'm not one for charity but I've thought bout starting a "Go Fund Me" for my situation. I'm not saying this "loss" would put me out of business but it is a severe hurt for Betts. What are my options?

***Just a note to ALL of you....I am humbled by your caring and generosity. THANK YOU from my whole heart.

The outreach has been so warm, it goes WAY beyond simply saying thank you back to you all. But truly, thank you.

MikeDuke
11-05-2018, 08:39 AM
Dave, you are a treasure to this forum and the King collector. I said it before and I will say it again. I would NOT have the collection I have without you. Your willingness to guide me away from stuff as well as too stuff has been invaluable. That really sucks that they sided with Visa. I guess that means that you will require signatures now? I will stop here before I say something that gets me banned. I will say that I am not quite done yet. We shall see what happens and what else I can get.

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2018, 08:47 AM
I will now require Signature Confirmation on packages more than $1000. I will not "announce" that on my site, but just something I will do.

MikeDuke
11-05-2018, 10:10 AM
No problem here with that.

Beverly Marsh
11-05-2018, 10:56 AM
Agree with both of Mike's above statements.

herbertwest
11-06-2018, 01:43 PM
I will now require Signature Confirmation on packages more than $1000. I will not "announce" that on my site, but just something I will do.

I would personally think that this should be the norm for anything over 500... or even 200

herbertwest
11-06-2018, 01:44 PM
I sent a modest contribution to the Godfundme campaign. Very good initiative Jerome!

dnemec
11-06-2018, 01:46 PM
USPS misdelivered an $8 book and I was tracking it down the day after I realized it was left at the wrong place. This whole things stinks.

Added my 2 bits to the Go Fund Me!

playdohman
11-06-2018, 02:18 PM

Considering it is the holiday season and porch pirates will be stepping up their game, I would suggest a lower threshold until after the new year.

Roseannebarr
11-06-2018, 02:33 PM
Anybody need a signed limited Joe Hill Little Silver Book Sharp Shiny Slivers #445. $150 all proceeds will be donated to Betts Books for his Go Fund me campaign.

PM me! Thanks! Glen

Shannon
11-06-2018, 03:24 PM
What's the guy's address?

WeDealInLead
11-06-2018, 03:59 PM
I see Shannon is taking a more proactive approach.

peripheral
11-07-2018, 12:51 AM
Anyone else get the "Account Has Been Suspended" message for Betts?

palooka
11-07-2018, 12:53 AM
I'm getting an "account suspended" holding page when I go to Betts website?

palooka
11-07-2018, 12:53 AM
Beat me to it.

vincent
11-07-2018, 01:18 AM
not me, fixed now perhaps?

herbertwest
11-07-2018, 01:33 AM

The website works perfectly for me

peripheral
11-07-2018, 02:37 AM

Website still "suspended" for me...

palooka
11-07-2018, 03:57 AM

Website still "suspended" for me...

Me too

wolfehr
11-07-2018, 04:20 AM
Working for me. Maybe try clearing browser cache?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeDuke
11-07-2018, 06:07 AM
Works for me also but now this site says it's not secure. Not sure where to put that message.

Randall Flagg
11-07-2018, 07:03 AM
Tell your browser to ignore, or not generate the message. How to do that depends on the browser you use.

MikeDuke
11-07-2018, 07:09 AM
I am using Chrome and this is the first time this has happened. I guess I have to figure out where to go to do that. It's just a little message next to the address bar that says Not Secure.
I don't want to muck up this thread with this issue so I won't post about it here again.

wolfehr
11-07-2018, 07:21 AM
I am using Chrome and this is the first time this has happened. I guess I have to figure out where to go to do that. It's just a little message next to the address bar that says Not Secure.
I don't want to muck up this thread with this issue so I won't post about it here again.

You can just ignore that. Shouldn’t be an issue for Betts since you’re not transferring any sensitive information.

MikeDuke
11-07-2018, 07:31 AM

You can just ignore that. Shouldn’t be an issue for Betts since you’re not transferring any sensitive information.

No, I get that message on this site and I don't remember ever getting it before. But I guess I can still ignore it since I don't do CC stuff here. Last post I promise.
Let's get back to some Betts talk.

vincent
11-07-2018, 08:37 AM
Please remove if too far off topic, but Mike:

recently browsers decided to give more warnings about sites that aren't secure: all sites on http:// instead of https://. They now give these stupid alerts saying your information is not safe! your location is revealed! very annoying.

google tells me the account suspended message has something to do with Betts' hosting provider: could be Betts is getting too much traffic and the monthly bandwidth has been exceeded.

in any case David should have received a notification about this and can resolve the problem. Strange there is that lots of people (me included) can still access the site.

St. Troy
11-07-2018, 09:21 AM
...recently browsers decided to give more warnings about sites that aren't secure: all sites on http:// instead of https://. They now give these stupid alerts saying your information is not safe! your location is revealed!

I think I've seen something like that on TDT.

Oh no, someone might find out my thoughts on slipcases and cloth bindings.

Brian861
11-07-2018, 11:53 AM
...recently browsers decided to give more warnings about sites that aren't secure: all sites on http:// instead of https://. They now give these stupid alerts saying your information is not safe! your location is revealed!

I think I've seen something like that on TDT.

And no one wants that :evil:

Site works fine with me with no alert messages.

peripheral
11-07-2018, 12:05 PM
I was seeing this message and was unable to access to via Safari or Firefox (only a TOR would get me there). I flushed cache and nothing Then, suddenly, everything's back to normal this morning (maybe the cache needed time to catch up?)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/medium/Screen_Shot_2018-11-07_at_11_56_54_pm.png

WeDealInLead
11-07-2018, 12:19 PM
Possibly related to the Betts Books theft, Camelot Books will be requiring signatures for all packages except the ones going to a PO Box. A prudent decision.

Brian861
11-07-2018, 01:17 PM
Possibly related to the Betts Books theft, Camelot Books will be requiring signatures for all packages except the ones going to a PO Box. A prudent decision.

I believe the buyer and the theft, are in fact, one in the same.......

St. Troy
11-07-2018, 01:23 PM
As an occasional buyer, I like when sellers protect themselves, because, in so doing, they are also protecting me (and everyone else who is above board).

Hunchback Jack
11-07-2018, 01:37 PM
As an occasional buyer, I like when sellers protect themselves, because, in so doing, they are also protecting me (and everyone else who is above board).

Agreed! I prefer to pay extra for signature-requirement on high-cost packages. If the book goes astray, and the seller is covered, then I'm covered.

I've had delivery confirmation (without signature) fail me when a package arrived sealed, but empty. Because the package had been delivered, eBay, PayPal and the courier company denied any claim. So I was out of luck - the seller would not reimburse me until the claim was paid out, which it wasn't.

Had a signature been required, I would not have signed for an empty box, and would have some legal recourse.

HBJ

wizardsrainbow
11-07-2018, 05:49 PM

My web hosting service migrated me to a new platform at 1am my time...they told me the site would be down about a half hour...This morning I had lost email updating and ability to save to website but got it sorted.

Earl of Popkin
11-07-2018, 06:01 PM

My web hosting service migrated me to a new platform at 1am my time...they told me the site would be down about a half hour...This morning I had lost email updating and ability to save to website but got it sorted.

You should wait 60 days and then tell your host that you haven’t had a website this whole time and demand your money back

Shannon
11-07-2018, 07:29 PM
I'm sorry, I might have missed it. What is the buyer's address?

Patrick
11-07-2018, 07:46 PM
Shannon, see Post #3952, but David has not “outed” the other party.

Shannon
11-07-2018, 08:31 PM
Thanks Patrick.

Brian861
11-07-2018, 11:55 PM

You should wait 60 days and then tell your host that you haven’t had a website this whole time and demand your money back

+1

herbertwest
11-08-2018, 07:15 AM

:P

St. Troy
11-08-2018, 11:09 AM

And no one wants that :evil:

...but in case they do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu0_Qs9kAiU&list=WL&index=98&t=0s

Brian861
11-08-2018, 11:14 PM
She does have nice cloth bindings :heart:

Randall Flagg
11-11-2018, 03:10 PM
The Betts Books Go Fund Me page seems to have stalled. I'll leave it up for another 2 days. We never thought we would hit the $7K goal, and are quite pleased with the $2K raised so far. I know others have helped David, so I can say that I'm very proud of our members for their efforts!

wizardsrainbow
11-13-2018, 05:02 PM
THANK YOU ALL from all aspects of my heart. King people are very giving! Thank you. Thank you.

MikeDuke
11-14-2018, 06:04 AM
You are welcome Dave. Without you, I would be nowhere with my collection.

Merlin1958
11-14-2018, 06:17 PM
David, quick question, will there be any possibility of "Xmas Cookie" deliveries to go with the "Thank you's" for the Gofundme donations? Sorry, but I had to ask and I wanted to get my "Xmas Cookies" requests out there early this year!!! lol lol j/k lol

Signed "The TDT.Org Cookie monster"!!! :huglove:

Just as a reminder you can donate here....................................

https://www.gofundme.com/help-betts-books

Remember, Christmas is just around the corner and, Santa is making a list..................!!!!!

herbertwest
11-15-2018, 01:29 AM
David, did you go see the cops?

jsmcmullen92
11-15-2018, 06:14 AM
So either Bob comes on here occasionally still or someone reached out to him because his name is definitely in the donations for Betts.

HONKYTONKSMASH
11-15-2018, 06:17 AM
So either Bob comes on here occasionally still or someone reached out to him because his name is definitely in the donations for Betts.

The gofundme was shared a few times on fb as well :thumbsup:

webstar1000
11-15-2018, 07:42 AM

Bob is in Chad and I's Rare King group on Facebook:)

Br!an
11-15-2018, 06:21 PM
Go Fund Me is nice for people who don't know David I suppose.

Sending him the money directly by PayPal F&F doesn't incur any fees and doesn't support Facebook.

I was going to send him some money with GFM, but they tried to get me to give them $7.50. Fuck that.

I'm wanting to help David not Facebook.

webstar1000
11-16-2018, 03:40 AM

Sending him the money directly by PayPal F&F doesn't incur any fees and doesn't support Facebook.

I was going to send him some money with GFM, but they tried to get me to give them $7.50. Fuck that.

You just enter 0.00. Easy peasy. I don’t tip them. And Gofundme takes nothing out of the donations... that “tip” is how they make money Brian... the only fees they take are the CC fees incurred. Just so everyone knows. It’s a good, honest platform for helping people to be honest.

webstar1000
11-16-2018, 03:42 AM
I should note... I have tipped a $1 or $2 here and there. But again, you can put in whatever amount you want. They just do “suggested” amounts.

Br!an
11-17-2018, 03:58 AM

You just enter 0.00. Easy peasy. I don’t tip them. And Gofundme takes nothing out of the donations... that “tip” is how they make money Brian... the only fees they take are the CC fees incurred. Just so everyone knows. It’s a good, honest platform for helping people to be honest.

Good to know.

Still, I just used PP F&F.

Merlin1958
11-17-2018, 04:07 PM
David,

Might help for us to have a ballpark idea where you stand after GFM & Private donations. Always good to have a goal in mind, not to get into your business or anything. Like I said just a "Ballpark". Assistance doesn't have to end with the Gofundme campaign. At least to me anyway. Want to keep my favorite King seller and establishment going full steam!!! As I said, it's that time of year!!! lol

Also, FWIW I think you should "out" this guy if for no other reason than to let members know to 'Be Wary" when and if dealing with this guy. I can't see any other reason than that he ripped you off and others should be on the look out if they should run into him. JMHO of course.

Cook
11-17-2018, 04:27 PM
David,

Might help for us to have a ballpark idea where you stand after GFM & Private donations. Always good to have a goal in mind, not to get into your business or anything. Like I said just a "Ballpark". Assistance doesn't have to end with the Gofundme campaign. At least to me anyway. Want to keep my favorite King seller and establishment going full steam!!! As I said, it's that time of year!!! lol

Also, FWIW I think you should "out" this guy if for no other reason than to let members know to 'Be Wary" when and if dealing with this guy. I can't see any other reason than that he ripped you off and others should be on the look out if they should run into him. JMHO of course.

Great idea Bill, very helpful inquiry.
Interested to hear feedback from David.

Randall Flagg
11-18-2018, 06:29 AM
FYI, the net from the Go Fund Me is going to be a bit over $2K. I know others have helped in different ways, but only David can clarify.

wizardsrainbow
11-18-2018, 07:40 PM
Yes I did and I call his local cops too...They could care less. I DID file an online complaint with the FBI though...FBI was only place I contacted that was willing to let me file a complaint. Post office struck out, my local police struck out, his local police struck out.

wizardsrainbow
11-18-2018, 07:44 PM
Once again to ALL...THANK YOU for caring! Besides the GoFundMe campaign, several people privately donated to me or bought things and had me add a premium to the sale to keep for myself. I thank you all, people who gave money and ALSO those who just expressed outrage at what this guy did. I really appreciate everyone's support. Thank you.

wizardsrainbow
11-18-2018, 07:46 PM
David,

At this point. I'd say contributions both public and private are about 60% of what I lost.

wizardsrainbow
11-18-2018, 07:47 PM
David, quick question, will there be any possibility of "Xmas Cookie" deliveries to go with the "Thank you's" for the Gofundme donations? Sorry, but I had to ask and I wanted to get my "Xmas Cookies" requests out there early this year!!! lol lol j/k lol

Signed "The TDT.Org Cookie monster"!!! :huglove:

Just as a reminder you can donate here....................................

https://www.gofundme.com/help-betts-books

Remember, Christmas is just around the corner and, Santa is making a list..................!!!!!

Those cookies are the BOMB!

becca69
11-19-2018, 10:21 AM
At this point. I'd say contributions both public and private are about 60% of what I lost.

That's pretty great!

amd013
11-19-2018, 11:51 AM
David,

Did you ever get a hold of him to see if he would split the cost with you? Last I heard sounded like he wasn't returning your calls.

Shame the cops and PO don't care.

Brian861
11-19-2018, 01:10 PM

That's great, David! If I weren't in hock to you already, I'd try and throw you a few clams. Maybe Santa will throw ya a bone in the next payment :)

George at C-Springs
11-20-2018, 08:54 AM
Did you ever get a hold of him to see if he would split the cost with you? Last I heard sounded like he wasn't returning your calls.

Shame the cops and PO don't care.

If there's a plus side to this, it's that he (or, in case his story is true, whoever swiped it) will never, ever, be able to sell it; everyone in the King collecting community is aware, and even 30 years from now it would be flagged immediately.

herbertwest
11-27-2018, 10:15 AM
Nobody mentionned the new listings?

A...MISERY LETTERED! "PC" This is artist Rick Berry's copy! Rick has agreed to write a short note and sign it signifying that this is indeed his copy. Misery Lettered copies from Suntup Press may be the most gorgeous King limited yet produced. One of the most sought-after King collectibles today. Signed by Stephen King and both artists including Rick Berry....ALL in New/Fine condition...Rick will ship you directly....BONUS item that Rick just said he will include is the #1 AP Giclee Suntup Cover Print of Black House (there were only 5 Artist Proofs done and this is #1)...size including border is 17" x 10.5"....

$12,500

webstar1000
11-27-2018, 10:16 AM
Nobody mentionned the new listings?

A...MISERY LETTERED! "PC" This is artist Rick Berry's copy! Rick has agreed to write a short note and sign it signifying that this is indeed his copy. Misery Lettered copies from Suntup Press may be the most gorgeous King limited yet produced. One of the most sought-after King collectibles today. Signed by Stephen King and both artists including Rick Berry....ALL in New/Fine condition...Rick will ship you directly....BONUS item that Rick just said he will include is the #1 AP Giclee Suntup Cover Print of Black House (there were only 5 Artist Proofs done and this is #1)...size including border is 17" x 10.5"....

$12,500

Been up for weeks. Talked about a lot on FB I seen. I believe with no rights this is thousands too high. I am pretty sure Rick has this number in his head though and is in no rush.

MikeDuke
11-27-2018, 10:20 AM
I hope everything is OK because Dave has not done an update in 12 day. But yea, that Misery Lettered plus the bonus stuff sure is cool.

webstar1000
11-27-2018, 10:21 AM
I hope everything is OK because Dave has not done an update in 12 day. But yea, That Misery Lettered plus the bonus stuff sure is cool.

He updated yesterday and is again today brother.

MikeDuke
11-27-2018, 10:24 AM
OK. Just saw that now. When I went to his site just now it still said the 11th but when I did I refresh, I see the new update. Thanks Kris.

MikeDuke
11-27-2018, 12:54 PM
Just refreshed again. Some really great auction stuff. The green mile proofs are really neat. Another complete DR set. Lettered Misery and Lettered IT. All great stuff. All way to rich for my blood but good luck to who ever bids and wins.

amd013
11-27-2018, 01:53 PM
Just refreshed again. Some really great auction stuff. The green mile proofs are really neat. Another complete DR set. Lettered Misery and Lettered IT. All great stuff. All way to rich for my blood but good luck to who ever bids and wins.

Yeah would really love the Misery Lettered. Y is even the letter I have with my CD DoubleDay Years and IT Lettered. But it is WAY out of my price range.

wizardsrainbow
11-27-2018, 05:29 PM
Minimum prices were set by consignees.

wizardsrainbow
11-27-2018, 05:31 PM
WAY more stuff to list!

Hunchback Jack
11-29-2018, 04:50 PM
Wow, the latest additions are pretty sweet.

Brian861
11-30-2018, 12:23 PM

Not looking, not looking........

MikeDuke
12-11-2018, 06:27 AM
Today is the last day for the auction. I hope it went well.

webstar1000
12-11-2018, 06:40 AM

Thought it was the 17th?

webstar1000
12-11-2018, 06:40 AM

Thought it was the 17th?

Oh wow

webstar1000
12-11-2018, 06:41 AM

Thought it was the 17th?

Oh wow must have changed it no?

MikeDuke
12-11-2018, 06:42 AM

Thought it was the 17th?

Oh wow

Oh wow indeed
"They will close for bidding on Tuesday December 11th at 12:00 noon EST"

MikeDuke
12-11-2018, 06:45 AM
I don't think he changed it Kris. Dave said they would go for two weeks and I think this was the planned second week.

ur2ndbiggestfan
12-11-2018, 06:56 AM

Not looking, not looking........

Gahhhhh! I looked, there goes the bank account...

MikeDuke
12-11-2018, 07:02 AM
Just under two hours. Better make it quick you guys.

MikeDuke
12-11-2018, 09:03 AM
Can't wait to see the results.

MikeDuke
12-11-2018, 09:13 AM
two pending confirm and two no bids.
Green Mile proof (no price listed yet)
Lettered Misery (no price listed)

Dragon Rebound set no bids
IT lettered no bid
Can't wait to see what the that are pending went for.

webstar1000
12-11-2018, 09:15 AM
What is most interesting is that someone paid $12500 for the Berry PC copy of Misery. I find that... just fascinating.

MikeDuke
12-11-2018, 09:17 AM
Yea. That is fascinating. I guess because it has providence from some one in the King world.

webstar1000
12-11-2018, 09:18 AM
Yea. That is fascinating. I guess because it has providence from some one in the King world.

Hmmmmm that’s not why I think. I think it’s because it’s a lettered Misery. PC or not...

MikeDuke
12-11-2018, 09:22 AM

Hmmmmm that’s not why I think. I think it’s because it’s a lettered Misery. PC or not...

Well, all of them have been going pretty high lately. I don't know. It's out of my wheelhouse any way. Congrats to those who got the auction,
and I hope the person who bought the PC one really is happy.

LetoAtreides
12-11-2018, 03:07 PM
Lettered IT has sold as well. Assuming the Misery bid is completed, the only thing left from the auctions is the Dragon Rebound set. It's available now at the minimum bid price: $14k. Let David know if you want it!

MikeDuke
12-11-2018, 04:17 PM
Well that's cool that the IT went as well. Man, if I only had a spare $14k. Oh well.

Beverly Marsh
12-29-2018, 08:37 AM
Enjoyed the holiday tradition stories and pics David! I want to get onboard the eat all you want night! :)

wizardsrainbow
12-30-2018, 06:33 PM
Enjoyed the holiday tradition stories and pics David! I want to get onboard the eat all you want night! :)

My kids LIVE for "Choose Your Own" day lol! Taking time off for family. Tomorrow, taking both boys skiing in VT.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-28-2019, 07:31 AM
Hey David. My copies of Ubris are signed by King with early signatures.

I bought them from a shop called Betts Bookstore in 2007.

MikeDuke
01-28-2019, 07:50 AM
Those copies do look interesting. Three different ones all at $4,999. Man it would cool to have something that rare.
Mr RT. Very cool that you have something so cool and rare.

wizardsrainbow
01-31-2019, 09:57 PM
Hey David. My copies of Ubris are signed by King with early signatures.

I bought them from a shop called Betts Bookstore in 2007.

GREAT! You bought from Stu then, not me...I took over Dec 2009.

MikeDuke
02-19-2019, 05:35 PM
Check out Betts for the new silent auction of Horns material up for grabs
http://www.bettsbooks.com/w95020ai.html#girl

Roseannebarr
03-21-2019, 07:54 AM
WAITING PATIENTLY ALL MONTH FOR A NEW LISTING AND THEN THIS POPS UP ON DAVID'S SITE!!

Coming Pretty Soon (...target late March?early April)....Spring Cleaning Sale...I plan to offer a LONG list of items that simply need to find new homes, some stuff that has just been taking up space for years!

EARLY APRILLLLLLLLLLLL UGGGGGGHHHHH. Cant wait till he quits his part time job so he can work FULL time at BETTS!!!!!!!!!!! :idea: :rock::wtf:

Beverly Marsh
03-22-2019, 05:07 AM
Ooooo! early April is my birthday so maybe it's a sign that I'm FINALLY going to get what I've been looking for! C'mon karma, do me a solid here.

wizardsrainbow
03-25-2019, 04:12 PM
WAITING PATIENTLY ALL MONTH FOR A NEW LISTING AND THEN THIS POPS UP ON DAVID'S SITE!!

Coming Pretty Soon (...target late March?early April)....Spring Cleaning Sale...I plan to offer a LONG list of items that simply need to find new homes, some stuff that has just been taking up space for years!

EARLY APRILLLLLLLLLLLL UGGGGGGHHHHH. Cant wait till he quits his part time job so he can work FULL time at BETTS!!!!!!!!!!! :idea: :rock::wtf:

I hear ya, I hear ya....I'm turning 60 this fall so not about to give up my "big" job at night that pays most all the bills. I admit to being BAD on timing my stuff...I give teasers WAY too early, say sorry...But in truth, I do have toms of stuff that I never listed....to put it in perspective, it will be more "ordinary" items, most less than $100. Some I will almost be giving away I think....I stopped listing Terry Goodkind signed stuff years ago (it was Stu Tinker that had the relationship with Terry)...but I have lots of signed Terry stuff that I plan to list along with King stuff and books about King too. The idea of compiling the list is daunting! And what keeps me from moving ahead, sigh!

Plus I have about 4 new consignments in the works which takes a lot of work pricing, emailing consignees, inspecting books etc. Finally, I have 3 weeks to get my taxes done. I have to do Federal as well as States of CT and NY...I have to fold Betts into my personal return....I think my Federal return last year was close to 20 pages....not easy but I'm a sicko and love doing my own taxes...it's like putting a puzzle together...I know I have all the pieces, just need to put it all together, but the process is pretty big.

Roseannebarr
03-25-2019, 06:21 PM

I hear ya, I hear ya....I'm turning 60 this fall so not about to give up my "big" job at night that pays most all the bills. I admit to being BAD on timing my stuff...I give teasers WAY too early, say sorry...But in truth, I do have toms of stuff that I never listed....to put it in perspective, it will be more "ordinary" items, most less than $100. Some I will almost be giving away I think....I stopped listing Terry Goodkind signed stuff years ago (it was Stu Tinker that had the relationship with Terry)...but I have lots of signed Terry stuff that I plan to list along with King stuff and books about King too. The idea of compiling the list is daunting! And what keeps me from moving ahead, sigh!

Plus I have about 4 new consignments in the works which takes a lot of work pricing, emailing consignees, inspecting books etc. Finally, I have 3 weeks to get my taxes done. I have to do Federal as well as States of CT and NY...I have to fold Betts into my personal return....I think my Federal return last year was close to 20 pages....not easy but I'm a sicko and love doing my own taxes...it's like putting a puzzle together...I know I have all the pieces, just need to put it all together, but the process is pretty big.

File an extension on the taxes!!! I cant wait to see the books!!! I say that every time I see your going to post a new list! Cant wait to see what you have! 4 consignments on top of that. :panic:

wizardsrainbow
04-02-2019, 10:51 AM
NEW LISTINGS GOING UP WITHIN AN HOUR

MikeDuke
04-02-2019, 10:58 AM
4 consignments is a lot David. I hope they go well, and I hope your other stuff does well also.

George at C-Springs
04-02-2019, 12:44 PM
The new Betts listings have been up for almost an hour folks, better jump in quick for top picks.

Beverly Marsh
04-02-2019, 05:17 PM
Oh man, I am REALLY disappointed now. My most coveted item was right there and it was perfect. Great inscription, great price. I had sent an email a few weeks back asking that if this item ever came up to please keep me in mind but I guess it was lost in the shuffle. Sucks to have to be at work when these are listed.
I'm done whining now but it was meant to be mine! :cry:

webstar1000
04-02-2019, 05:28 PM
Oh man, I am REALLY disappointed now. My most coveted item was right there and it was perfect. Great inscription, great price. I had sent an email a few weeks back asking that if this item ever came up to please keep me in mind but I guess it was lost in the shuffle. Sucks to have to be at work when these are listed.

Which book?

Beverly Marsh
04-02-2019, 05:34 PM

Which book?

The signed PS :(

webstar1000
04-02-2019, 05:35 PM

Which book?

I went for that too:( someone was fast!!! Sorry you missed it:(

Beverly Marsh
04-02-2019, 05:37 PM

Which book?

I went for that too:( someone was fast!!! Sorry you missed it:(

Thank you. You too!

wizardsrainbow
04-02-2019, 09:13 PM
I admit to being between a rock and a hard place...There are some "popular" items that I know several people are looking for. Rather than giving one person a chance at the exclusion of others. I list the item and let it be "fair game." I've debated the issue many times in my head and it seems like the most fair option I can find. Sorry to anyone who missed out on an item.

For instance, I know of at least 6 people who would LOVE to buy a Lettered Green Mile...they (Lettered copies) just don't appear. If I ever get one to sell, it will go up on the site for a first come first served basis...it might not even be one of the several people I know who want the book, but I cannot just pick one of them and not choose the others....it's a tough road, knowing a few people looking for something...and I get one.

Beverly Marsh
04-03-2019, 12:36 AM
I admit to being between a rock and a hard place...There are some "popular" items that I know several people are looking for. Rather than giving one person a chance at the exclusion of others. I list the item and let it be "fair game." I've debated the issue many times in my head and it seems like the most fair option I can find. Sorry to anyone who missed out on an item.

For instance, I know of at least 6 people who would LOVE to buy a Lettered Green Mile...they (Lettered copies) just don't appear. If I ever get one to sell, it will go up on the site for a first come first served basis...it might not even be one of the several people I know who want the book, but I cannot just pick one of them and not choose the others....it's a tough road, knowing a few people looking for something...and I get one.

I can only speak for myself here but I think others would agree, that's the right way to handle things. It wouldn't be fair to anyone to keep a list of who wants what otherwise some people may not ever get a fair shake at an item. It would be difficult to prioritize that list as well. Do you choose that long time customer or the new one? The one who can pay right away or the one who needs layaway? Etc etc.
I think we all understand that. I just needed to have a minor meltdown because that's twice within the span of a couple months that I've missed out on a not so easy to find item. We have all felt that disappointment and I'm sure we will again but that's the way it goes. I've been lucky to get some other wanted items over the past month from members here so I can't whine too loudly. One day this will happen too.
You've been great to me David and I think I can speak for most everyone when I say thank you! Even when you're killing me ;)

firemonkey66
04-03-2019, 05:06 AM

I can only speak for myself here but I think others would agree, that's the right way to handle things. It wouldn't be fair to anyone to keep a list of who wants what otherwise some people may not ever get a fair shake at an item. It would be difficult to prioritize that list as well. Do you choose that long time customer or the new one? The one who can pay right away or the one who needs layaway? Etc etc.
I think we all understand that. I just needed to have a minor meltdown because that's twice within the span of a couple months that I've missed out on a not so easy to find item. We have all felt that disappointment and I'm sure we will again but that's the way it goes. I've been lucky to get some other wanted items over the past month from members here so I can't whine too loudly. One day this will happen too.
You've been great to me David and I think I can speak for most everyone when I say thank you! Even when you're killing me ;)

Well said, lori:)

MikeDuke
04-03-2019, 07:56 AM
Agree %100.

sentinel
04-03-2019, 08:17 AM
I think you are right on David. I know of other stores that have played favorites over the years. I lost out on items because they were "promised" to
other folks. I hate it when I miss on something but it's still the fairest way. Now about that Maine magazine with "One for the Road" if you happen to
get one.......:biggrin1:

Beverly Marsh
04-09-2019, 04:08 PM
I need to make a post about generosity and this thread is as appropriate as any.
I have had the pleasure of being on these forums a little over three years now and it has been a journey that has shown me how truly good people can be. I've met some wonderful friends who have taught me many things about King collecting. I'm always learning something new. I've bought and even sold here. My collection has grown with books I've wanted to own for a long time thanks to members here and especially David who has been there through most of it. My collection is modest compared to most of you but I am proud of what I have and am lucky to have some of the items that I do. If not for these boards I doubt I would have ended up with a Suntup Misery. If not for these boards I wouldn't have ended up with a very special item that recently came to me. Someone on here, with the kindness and help of David, made an extremely generous gift to me. I'm still asking myself why me but perhaps it best not be explained. I don't know who this person is but I do know this much, they're here somewhere :) This gift literally brought me to tears. This person is a truly kind human being whom I can't thank enough. Maybe I've said too much, I hope that if you're reading this that you don't mind and that I NEEDED to say something. I don't know what you saw in me to make this happen but whatever it is I hope to live up to it.
Thank you. And thank you David. And thank you fellow members who I've come to know and trust.
I would also like to apologize for my post a few posts up. I'm a little embarrassed re reading it now. I sound a bit like a teenager having a temper tantrum. That was not my intention and I hope most of you saw through it to the meat of the matter. As collectors I think you did :)

Merlin1958
04-09-2019, 05:02 PM
^ Yes, Beverly David Williamson and Betts Books is the single best friend and resource a book collecting community has or, likely will ever have. Not only that fact, but he is also a kind and generous book dealer. I can't count the times he has graciously consented to conspire with me on a gift for a friend or person in need. He will go above and beyond the call of duty eagerly to work out innovative and favorable payment schedules, offer up critical discounts where feasible and applicable and seek out rare editions to fill a special collecting need. I know this from my own, numerous and first hand experiences which indicate herculean efforts when applied to all the other collectors who deal with him from the King collecting community.

There just aren't the right words to describe the value and impact that, Betts Books (through, David) has had on our little community. There is a quote that I hold dear and use as a guideline for my dealings made by, Abraham Lincoln and it goes something like this: "A man/woman never stands so tall as when he/she stoops to help another". That quote would in my humble opinion neatly apply to, David Williamson and accurately describe his day to day business dealings.

wizardsrainbow
04-09-2019, 06:22 PM
wow! Thank you for your kind words all! I'm glad what I do is well received and always strive to help in any way I can.

TnTzDad
04-09-2019, 06:45 PM
Although I'm still fairly new to the group, I can wholeheartedly agree with you. Well said WB...well said!

Brian861
04-09-2019, 11:34 PM
I need to make a post about generosity and this thread is as appropriate as any.
I have had the pleasure of being on these forums a little over three years now and it has been a journey that has shown me how truly good people can be. I've met some wonderful friends who have taught me many things about King collecting. I'm always learning something new. I've bought and even sold here. My collection has grown with books I've wanted to own for a long time thanks to members here and especially David who has been there through most of it. My collection is modest compared to most of you but I am proud of what I have and am lucky to have some of the items that I do. If not for these boards I doubt I would have ended up with a Suntup Misery. If not for these boards I wouldn't have ended up with a very special item that recently came to me. Someone on here, with the kindness and help of David, made an extremely generous gift to me. I'm still asking myself why me but perhaps it best not be explained. I don't know who this person is but I do know this much, they're here somewhere :) This gift literally brought me to tears. This person is a truly kind human being whom I can't thank enough. Maybe I've said too much, I hope that if you're reading this that you don't mind and that I NEEDED to say something. I don't know what you saw in me to make this happen but whatever it is I hope to live up to it.
Thank you. And thank you David. And thank you fellow members who I've come to know and trust.
I would also like to apologize for my post a few posts up. I'm a little embarrassed re reading it now. I sound a bit like a teenager having a temper tantrum. That was not my intention and I hope most of you saw through it to the meat of the matter. As collectors I think you did :)

Wow, Lori! Can't believe it's been that long. Seems like yesterday that you were just joining up. Congrats on receiving a well deserved gift. You're one of the great ones here and I'm glad to have gotten to know you a little via the forum.

Kudos to you too, Dave for helping someone brighten Lori's day.

MikeDuke
04-10-2019, 05:31 AM
David is the man. That much I can say also. And it's great that people here maybe helped you get something that really surprised you. Congrats on your special gift.

Ari_Racing
04-10-2019, 01:31 PM
Congratulations, Lori! And about David, I think no one can say other but great things about him. He is and always have been an incredible person. :)

MikeDuke
04-10-2019, 04:34 PM
David, if you see this, I just want to publicly apologize. I know you do a lot to help me out. So sorry. This is between David and I.

Shannon
04-10-2019, 06:33 PM
BETTS BOOKS SECTION:

David, if you see this, I just want to publicly apologize. I know you do a lot to help me out. So sorry. This is between David and I.

SUNTUP PRESS SECTION:

I want to publicly apologize for my last email. You know what part. Thanks for your understanding Paul. I admit that I am a person who says stuff too fast.
Sorry.

Or … you could just stop being a whiny bitch that later regrets what he says to people when he's having a temper tantrum?

Merlin1958
04-10-2019, 07:47 PM
BETTS BOOKS SECTION:

SUNTUP PRESS SECTION:

I want to publicly apologize for my last email. You know what part. Thanks for your understanding Paul. I admit that I am a person who says stuff too fast.
Sorry.

Or … you could just stop being a whiney bitch that later regrets what he says to people when he's having a temper tantrum?

LOL - Boo-ya - LOL Shannon is in the hiz-house!!! LOL

Beverly Marsh
04-19-2019, 06:13 AM

Wow, Lori! Can't believe it's been that long. Seems like yesterday that you were just joining up. Congrats on receiving a well deserved gift. You're one of the great ones here and I'm glad to have gotten to know you a little via the forum.

Kudos to you too, Dave for helping someone brighten Lori's day.

David is the man. That much I can say also. And it's great that people here maybe helped you get something that really surprised you. Congrats on your special gift.

Congratulations, Lori! And about David, I think no one can say other but great things about him. He is and always have been an incredible person. :)

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

And thank YOU (hey, I'll NEVER stop! :blush: )

wizardsrainbow
05-15-2019, 05:53 PM
You can order the new REVIVAL DELUXE Book through me at Betts.

webstar1000
05-15-2019, 06:00 PM
You can order the new REVIVAL DELUXE Book through me at Betts.

Awesome!!! Everyone here should be ordering through you my man!!!

Roseannebarr
08-19-2019, 12:41 PM
I am boycotting BETTS BOOKS until we get an update from this previous ANNOUNCEMENT. FYI It has been over 72 hours since this proclamation and I don't know what happened!!

Updated 8-16-19 9:06 am
I will be closed Friday August 16th as I am visiting artist Michael Whelan.

Brian861
08-19-2019, 01:08 PM
Received a very cool Hill item today via Betts via Heath.

Roseannebarr
09-20-2019, 08:50 AM
I Think David waited years just so he could POST this update!!!!! very cool :excited::clap:

Updated 9-19-19 9:19 pm

New Items +...SOME REDUCED PRICE LISTINGS BELOW
ADVANCE NOTICE: I WILL BE CLOSED SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 21 THROUGH SATURDAY OCTOBER 5 (TWO WEEKS). Am completely off the grid...I will not be answering any emails or shipping.
I owe MANY of you email responses...some are orders....sorry I get behind (still way behind!). Feel free to email me again! I apologize!!!

Brian James Freeman
09-20-2019, 09:13 AM
Updated 9-19-19 9:19 pm

:thumbsup::rock:

Beverly Marsh
10-04-2019, 06:49 AM
Welcome back David! (when you do get back and see this ;) ) Hope you had a great trip!

Beverly Marsh
10-23-2019, 07:59 AM
Can't seem to access the site at the moment. Perhaps David is loading it up with goodies!

webstar1000
10-23-2019, 08:22 AM
Can't seem to access the site at the moment. Perhaps David is loading it up with goodies!

no prob for me.. and no goodies. lol

darkseer
10-23-2019, 09:12 AM
It did say he was going to list new items today. I didn't have any trouble logging on either.

bdwyer19
10-24-2019, 05:25 AM
I saw that David has a Skeleton Crew S/L for $1250. I know it’s a consignment, but is value really that high? I thought they’ve been selling recently for around $800.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-24-2019, 06:56 AM
I saw that David has a Skeleton Crew S/L for $1250. I know it’s a consignment, but is value really that high? I thought they’ve been selling recently for around $800.

David's last sales... $650. $600. $695. $625. $690, $649. (Newest first)

webstar1000
10-24-2019, 07:01 AM

I cannot buy one fine for $800. I know where two are for sale and they are HARD at $1000. This has def gone up... so David would be near that cost too considering his sell price.

bdwyer19
10-24-2019, 07:10 AM
That’s crazy, and really seems like an anomaly, especially considering recent prices. I can’t imagine market prices staying in the $1,000 range.

webstar1000
10-24-2019, 07:15 AM
That’s crazy, and really seems like an anomaly, especially considering recent prices. I can’t imagine market prices staying in the $1,000 range.

A lot of pricing has shocked me lately.

MikeDuke
10-24-2019, 07:15 AM
There is one on eBay right now for $1250 and if I reading it right, one sold in Aug for $1,000.

Kingfan24
10-24-2019, 07:27 AM
No chance I would pay 1000 for skeleton crew.

ur2ndbiggestfan
10-24-2019, 07:52 AM
Yes, but is that a BARE BONES price? Or is that a book that was hiding in a closet? Did David bone up on the price before offering it, or was it just a bone-headed deal?

wizardsrainbow
10-24-2019, 08:35 AM
About 80% of what I sell is on consignment....Consignee sets prices (I try to advise). Skeleton Crew (DM books) are newly consigned. I told the guy he was too high....some listen, some do not. For example, the EOTD S/L book was one I BOUGHT and listed at $750.....guy wanted to consign his EOTD S.L at $1250 and I told him he was WAY high...he agreed to $850 but other books he stood his ground.

bdwyer19
10-24-2019, 08:37 AM
Thanks for clarifying, David. I had a feeling that the consignee had a lot to do with it.

webstar1000
10-24-2019, 08:43 AM
Thanks for clarifying, David. I had a feeling that the consignee had a lot to do with it.

That doesn't negate the fact the these books seem to be fetching A LOT more lately. One sold on FB for $850 last week with issues and a $1000 dollar one a month ago but it was fine with poster. Would I pay it? No, but I have one... but would not want to be looking for one right now...

kingfan2323
10-24-2019, 09:30 AM
Values are going up AND you are seeing a lot less of most big titles even for sale. Between the age of us long time fans and how hot King is on tv and film right now we may be seeing a high point in book values.

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
Dead Zone 1st Edition F/F or NF/NF

Kingfan24
10-24-2019, 09:42 AM
The problem is the market is VERY limited for people willing to pay those prices. My suggestion is if you are ever planning on selling your collection, now is the time. Make hay while the sun shines.

webstar1000
10-24-2019, 09:45 AM
There are defiantly A LOT of new collectors. I mean tons of new ones.... it is shocking how many are popping up and whether it is the new movies, shoes and King exposure who knows? But the market is growing for sure.

Kingfan24
10-24-2019, 10:21 AM
There are defiantly A LOT of new collectors. I mean tons of new ones.... it is shocking how many are popping up and whether it is the new movies, shoes and King exposure who knows? But the market is growing for sure.

The market may be growing for small king items (common firsts, gift editions, etc.) I don’t think it’s growing for big items.

becca69
10-24-2019, 10:22 AM

It's defiantly shoes Kris! :wtf:

webstar1000
10-24-2019, 10:23 AM

The market may be growing for small king items (common firsts, gift editions, etc.) I don’t think it’s growing for big items.

I disagree. I would say right up into the rare lettereds has grown.

webstar1000
10-24-2019, 10:24 AM

LOL :smile_002: SHOWS*

becca69
10-24-2019, 10:42 AM

LOL :smile_002: SHOWS*

Definitely :evil:

lotuz
10-24-2019, 10:54 AM

If this is indeed the case, and as a relatively "new" King collector myself I have no reason to believe it's not, then the increase in prices makes perfect sense! After all, there are never going to be any more Scream Press S/L Skeleton Crew copies than there are now, so the more people that want them, the higher the price they will fetch. Totally logical.

As a new(ish) member of this board, it's been interesting to watch some of this change. So many of the collectors on here have been doing it for 10, 20, or even 30+ years and I'm sure would have had a hard time predicting where the market would go. We've seen this exact conversation play out plenty of times:

Person A: I paid $100 for my copy
Person B: The current market price is $300+
Person A: I would NEVER pay $300 for this book, I don't believe you
Person B: I have seen 3 copies of this book sell recently, all for over $300

Skeleton Crew is a good current example. Another good example is Knowing Darkness. Lots of people here apparently got copies from George Beahm on the cheap way back in the day, and there was some general disbelief that the unsigned version was now a $300-$400 book and the numbered version routinely hits $1000.

I do believe that the wisdom of the crowd (with help from specific sellers) is very often correct in the "how much is it worth?" thread, but I think there are a lot of long-time collectors who are surprised at prices because they purchased their copy years ago and since they're not in the market for a particular book they don't keep up on the prices (which makes sense).

I always enjoy Mr. RT's posts from Betts selling history - that gives some nice historical context. Likewise, it's nice to know the prices Kris has seen on FB, which probably represents a distinctly different set of potential buyers!

Lastly, there is probably some small effect of inflation. Skeleton Crew was $75 when it came out in 1985. Depending on the inflation calculator you use, that's between $180-$200 in 2019 dollars.

What will be interesting to see, is just how much the market will continue to grow and push up prices. And also: what will happen when King inevitably dies? He has had such a massive cultural impact - I don't think there's good precedent for understanding how his death will impact the value of his books. I fully expect his works to be in print and still undergoing movie adaptations and remakes 50 years from now!

M_O_O_N
10-24-2019, 11:21 AM
^^ What he said+50 more years (100)

sullichin
10-24-2019, 11:57 AM

One of these newer collectors here. I hope I am making some people on this forum some money :P
Went from 0 - 4 signatures in a few months. Fan for decades, collecting has long been something I was interested in (had my account here forever too) and checked up on from time to time but something clicked and I actually got into it. Subconsciously, King being everywhere these days might have helped. Who knows. His books have always been a big part of my life.

And when you first get into collecting, there's tons to catch up on at this point. And lots to learn about sources and prices. But, I do feel like a crazy person still spending so much on certain 'must have' items, so I definitely wish I started collecting much earlier. I don't have space for an enormous collection either, so that+ current costs tempers me a little. But I really love this hobby now. It feels right...

kingfan2323
10-24-2019, 07:25 PM

One of these newer collectors here. I hope I am making some people on this forum some money [emoji14]
Went from 0 - 4 signatures in a few months. Fan for decades, collecting has long been something I was interested in (had my account here forever too) and checked up on from time to time but something clicked and I actually got into it. Subconsciously, King being everywhere these days might have helped. Who knows. His books have always been a big part of my life.

And when you first get into collecting, there's tons to catch up on at this point. And lots to learn about sources and prices. But, I do feel like a crazy person still spending so much on certain 'must have' items, so I definitely wish I started collecting much earlier. I don't have space for an enormous collection either, so that+ current costs tempers me a little. But I really love this hobby now. It feels right...Believe me when I say we love when new collectors start. It's fun seeing people start off the way we did. Hunting down firsts was definitely fun times.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hunchback Jack
10-25-2019, 04:15 PM
And when you first get into collecting, there's tons to catch up on at this point. And lots to learn about sources and prices. But, I do feel like a crazy person still spending so much on certain 'must have' items, so I definitely wish I started collecting much earlier. I don't have space for an enormous collection either, so that+ current costs tempers me a little. But I really love this hobby now. It feels right...

Also a relatively new collector, and I agree, it's exciting to see a whole world of beautiful books just open up to you. What helped me enormously was focus - deciding not just what to collect, but what NOT to collect. It enabled me to pay a bit more for the editions I had actively decided I wanted on my shelves. And reading posts here about what prices should be and how important condition is.

HBJ

Phalucha
10-26-2019, 05:02 AM
The problem is the market is VERY limited for people willing to pay those prices. My suggestion is if you are ever planning on selling your collection, now is the time. Make hay while the sun shines.

It is really hard to know when is the moment to sell. I know a few collectors who have cleared their books and deeply regretted it both because prices have continued to go up and because they feel the absence. Unless collecting SK is most a commercial venture for you then I think Marie Kondo has it right - sell when the joy is gone.

wizardsrainbow
10-26-2019, 07:48 AM
Paul-

I think you hit the nail on the head...sell when the joy is gone...however, I recognize that there are some collectors that collect for the "investment." Having been a part of the stock market my whole life, I get the "timing the market" mentality of when to sell. So whatever your "flavor" of collecting, go with what your heart tells you.

wizardsrainbow
11-04-2019, 05:23 PM
GOT A NEW SILENT AUCTION COMING....likely Tuesday Afternoon

webstar1000
11-04-2019, 05:29 PM

Ohhhh what could this be David!??! Hint?

Randall Flagg
11-04-2019, 05:37 PM

Ohhhh what could this be David!??! Hint?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fWyzwo1xg0

wizardsrainbow
11-04-2019, 05:44 PM
Think 1980's King....great movie about story too

herbertwest
11-05-2019, 06:49 AM

So it's in few hours, no?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-05-2019, 07:13 AM

I've also got a set on ebay.

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2019, 09:19 AM
yes in a couple more hours

shaq
11-05-2019, 01:08 PM
I was very sad to hear that Stu was closing after so many years. My very first signed book came from there, and I visited there on my first honeymoon, with Stu opening specially for me.

Now I know that the new owner is someone of the highest integrity, I've no concerns about the future of Betts (will the name remain?). Matey, I couldn't be more pleased for you. You have the right mix of honesty and insanity to make this work.

In another thread Sir_Boome suggests you update the mailing list. My suggestion is to re-design the website. You don't want anything too fancy (I think that would detract from its main job) but it's a little too sprawling at the moment.

All the luck in the world to you my friend.

Ceri

And 10 years later.....

Congratulations and thank you for being a fantastic caretaker David.

I bought my first ever signed limited from Calla-Wolf and think he pointed me to Betts as a place to shop. It was a bucket list to visit Betts on my 40th and buy something sweet, but it didn’t happen for various reasons.

But over the last few years I have had the privilege to buy the stand sl, Pet Sematary inscribed to David, and skeleton crew amongst a couple of other smaller items.

Thank you and looking forward to your help in completing my king bucket list over the coming years.

MikeDuke
11-05-2019, 01:24 PM
Set of Green Mile proofs is the auction, with a letter from the publisher. Very rare to have all 6.
And I agree that David has been a great caretaker for Betts. He has helped me beyond what I could say here. I hope to continue my slow trip with him.

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2019, 02:45 PM
I was very sad to hear that Stu was closing after so many years. My very first signed book came from there, and I visited there on my first honeymoon, with Stu opening specially for me.

Now I know that the new owner is someone of the highest integrity, I've no concerns about the future of Betts (will the name remain?). Matey, I couldn't be more pleased for you. You have the right mix of honesty and insanity to make this work.

In another thread Sir_Boome suggests you update the mailing list. My suggestion is to re-design the website. You don't want anything too fancy (I think that would detract from its main job) but it's a little too sprawling at the moment.

All the luck in the world to you my friend.

Ceri

And 10 years later.....

Congratulations and thank you for being a fantastic caretaker David.

I bought my first ever signed limited from Calla-Wolf and think he pointed me to Betts as a place to shop. It was a bucket list to visit Betts on my 40th and buy something sweet, but it didn’t happen for various reasons.

But over the last few years I have had the privilege to buy the stand sl, Pet Sematary inscribed to David, and skeleton crew amongst a couple of other smaller items.

Thank you and looking forward to your help in completing my king bucket list over the coming years.

most welcome! I LOVE this job!!!

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2019, 02:46 PM
I will have some sort of 10-year sale...don't know what yet but SOMETHING!

webstar1000
11-05-2019, 02:47 PM
I will have some sort of 10-year sale...don't know what yet but SOMETHING!

Remarques and Whelans from your collection? Lol

wizardsrainbow
11-05-2019, 03:14 PM
eventually (not for a few years anyway) I will sell most everything in my personal collection...only my daughter has any interest in the biz

webstar1000
11-05-2019, 03:15 PM
eventually (not for a few years anyway) I will sell most everything in my personal collection...only my daughter has any interest in the biz

Interesting you say that. I will too. I have no intention of dying with it. I wanna see someone happy to get something they been after forever that’s hard to get. And then make some memories by using the money for family, travel or whatever.

MikeDuke
11-05-2019, 05:30 PM
Man, I can only imagine what those personal collection sales will be like. Oh, and I forgot. Happy 10th year David. It will be interesting to watch what ever sale you may have.

Bob Verdansky
11-11-2019, 12:14 PM
Just ordered my first book from Betts.
Thanks!

Fsmdr
11-15-2019, 08:27 PM
Betts sale is on!!

wizardsrainbow
11-17-2019, 11:00 PM
Thanks!

which one are you? Want to make sure not to mess it up!

Bob Verdansky
11-18-2019, 03:28 AM
Thanks!

which one are you? Want to make sure not to mess it up!

I ordered "Thinner" from you and received it Thursday. It's a flawless copy.
Thanks again!

The Library Policeman
11-18-2019, 03:31 AM
David is one of the best to deal with.

I wouldn’t have half of the S/Ls I do if it weren’t for him :thumbsup:

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-18-2019, 03:40 AM
This has nothing to do with anything, but I just sold a sort of a large item on E-Bay, and I used a box I've had for a number of years, and I noticed it was from Betts Books. Written on the side in pencil was "Secc of Dreams Vol 2 Lett C" That's not what I got in the box from Dave, but I can't remember what it was.

Moral of the story - recycle!

webstar1000
11-18-2019, 04:49 AM
This has nothing to do with anything, but I just sold a sort of a large item on E-Bay, and I used a box I've had for a number of years, and I noticed it was from Betts Books. Written on the side in pencil was "Secc of Dreams Vol 2 Lett C" That's not what I got in the box from Dave, but I can't remember what it was.

Moral of the story - recycle!

I re-used every single packing peanut, bubble wrap and box I get. I agree!!!

Hunchback Jack
11-18-2019, 10:20 AM
Yep, me too. My wife used to get exasperated with me for having so many empty boxes with packing peanuts in them lying around, but she understood when I sold off a chunk of my collection to a bunch of people.

I have bought U-LINE boxes to ship books in, but always try to reuse boxes if they are still sturdy enough.

wizardsrainbow
11-18-2019, 07:13 PM
RECYCLE! Think of how many orders I ship and fact that I now have owned Betts 10 years...I've NEVER had to buy packing peanuts in 10 years and I use them in almost every shipment.

Boxes I buy from ULINE but recycle ones I get if they are useable.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-19-2019, 04:24 AM
RE: Recycle (Some of you may remember this story):

A few years ago I got a call from our local Post Master to let me know I had a box to pickup (they hold all my boxes and I pickup personally). I took possession of the box but very confused because I recognized the shipper name but knew I hadn't purchased anything from this person in a while. Upon arriving at home, I opened the box to find out it's not a book I ordered (but my address and name is on the label even though the label looked old and a little beat up). Since I knew the person who shipped the box, I contacted them. Come to find out, another label was on top of this label and somehow it got removed or tore from the box leaving an old label with my name and address. After contacting the person who shipped it, I repacked the book, created a label, and sent the book to it's rightful owner.

Moral of the story, when you recycle, leave an old label on just in case....hahahahahahahaha.

Station break over, back to normal thread discussion.

Mulleins

kingfan2323
11-19-2019, 10:26 AM

A few years ago I got a call from our local Post Master to let me know I had a box to pickup (they hold all my boxes and I pickup personally). I took possession of the box but very confused because I recognized the shipper name but knew I hadn't purchased anything from this person in a while. Upon arriving at home, I opened the box to find out it's not a book I ordered (but my address and name is on the label even though the label looked old and a little beat up). Since I knew the person who shipped the box, I contacted them. Come to find out, another label was on top of this label and somehow it got removed or tore from the box leaving an old label with my name and address. After contacting the person who shipped it, I repacked the book, created a label, and sent the book to it's rightful owner.

Moral of the story, when you recycle, leave an old label on just in case....hahahahahahahaha.

MulleinsMoral of the story part two: Mr. Mulleins can be trusted!

looking for: NOS4A2 (sub press)
Dead Zone 1st/1st, Boy's Life S/L

herbertwest
11-19-2019, 10:44 AM

Mulleins

I try to remove all labels and if they are stuck, absolutely mark them so they cannot be confused.
Otherwise, I dont think that I bought any box in about 10+ years. I've a cupboard of about 2 square meters filled with shipping stuff waiting to be used :D

wizardsrainbow
01-25-2020, 09:41 AM
I am listing some new items today (very soon) on my Betts Books page.

wizardsrainbow
03-12-2020, 06:13 PM
Was in MA all day today...picked up about $50,000 worth of items...Need to agree on prices with seller...He still has that much or more that he needs to inventory for me.

Suffice to say...A LOT of good items should be coming soon!

wizardsrainbow
03-12-2020, 06:14 PM
and he keeps his items pristine...condition of items I took is phenomenal

Aremag
03-12-2020, 06:15 PM
Was in MA all day today...picked up about $50,000 worth of items...Need to agree on prices with seller...He still has that much or more that he needs to inventory for me.

:drool:

Roseannebarr
03-12-2020, 06:39 PM

Yeah!!!!!!!!!! Awesome!

Joe315
03-12-2020, 07:15 PM

I hereby reserve any fine first edition copies of The Stand.

herbertwest
03-13-2020, 02:33 AM

How much storage space do you have? :s

MikeDuke
03-13-2020, 05:02 AM
Wow. What a haul. It will be interesting to what is listed. With that much stuff, I assume it will be done in stages.

Beverly Marsh
03-13-2020, 11:46 AM
Meanwhile everyone is rubbing their hands together and Joker grinning in anticipation.......

amd013
03-13-2020, 12:37 PM
Meanwhile everyone is rubbing their hands together and Joker grinning in anticipation.......

.... or singing happy birthday twice

wizardsrainbow
03-16-2020, 02:15 PM

I hereby reserve any fine first edition copies of The Stand.

He even is unsure of what exactly he has...I only brought home 4 boxes of mostly S/Ls...He had 10+ boxes of stuff on shelves he has yet to inventory. I ASKED if he owned a Salem's Lot trade and he does not...so unsure of The Stand

wizardsrainbow
03-16-2020, 02:17 PM

How much storage space do you have? :s

I still have room on my home/office for stuff but I have a 100sqft storage space that I put a lot of consigned books.

wizardsrainbow
03-16-2020, 02:18 PM
Wow. What a haul. It will be interesting to what is listed. With that much stuff, I assume it will be done in stages.

Just might at that...I still have to inventory what I brought home and make pricing suggestions to him...coronavirus and other job keeping me hopping recently.

MikeDuke
03-16-2020, 03:36 PM

Just might at that...I still have to inventory what I brought home and make pricing suggestions to him...coronavirus and other job keeping me hopping recently.
You and me both. But I still interested in what this will look like. If you brought 4 boxes and he still has 10 left to go through, that is one massive collection.

wizardsrainbow
03-24-2020, 07:29 PM
I posted 9 Stand remarques from Don Maitz about 12 hours ago and 8 sold already...just one left.

webstar1000
03-25-2020, 02:14 AM
I posted 9 Stand remarques from Don Maitz about 12 hours ago and 8 sold already...just one left.

I can’t afford one now. Luck of the draw I guess. It will sell. They are great and price is right. Love the hooded Flagg’s! I

wizardsrainbow
03-25-2020, 05:17 PM
all sold out...in about 12 hours

Roseannebarr
03-27-2020, 06:30 AM
Besides the Gunslinger S/L I always wanted a S/L with the Bachman check made out to something fun or interesting or King related! I just found out I get the book David had listed! To John Swithton for the Fifth Quarter.!!!!!! I waited till today to follow up with him because I knew he was busy! I suspected I got it because it was on hold with my silver bulletin book!

Thank you David!!!

And thank you govt for the $$ to pay for it, the check is going to my account, I hope my wife does not watch the news I will have another $1200 to spend😀

MikeDuke
03-27-2020, 06:39 AM
Besides the Gunslinger S/L I always wanted a S/L with the Bachman check made out to something fun or interesting or King related! I just found out I get the book David had listed! To John Swithton for the Fifth Quarter.!!!!!! I waited till today to follow up with him because I knew he was busy! I suspected I got it because it was on hold with my silver bulletin book!

Thank you David!!!

And thank you govt for the $$ to pay for it, the check is going to my account, I hope my wife does not watch the news I will have another $1200 to spend😀
That's pretty cool. I did not know that was another named King used back in the early days.

webstar1000
03-27-2020, 06:47 AM

Thank you David!!!

Congrats Glenn. Correct me if I am wrong.. but all the checks are King related no? I also have an S/L Slinger I would take payments on if you are interested... shoot me a PM

Roseannebarr
03-27-2020, 06:59 AM

Thank you David!!!

Congrats Glenn. Correct me if I am wrong.. but all the checks are King related no? I also have an S/L Slinger I would take payments on if you are interested... shoot me a PM

Thank you! There is a nice list somewhere and they are not all king related, unless there is some very obscure references I don't know. Some are more fun than others. I just started a Gunslinger savings account it has $240 in it. A long way to go. I am actually afraid to buy one because then I have to start saving for my last HOLY GRAIL.

Roseannebarr
03-27-2020, 07:00 AM

Thank you David!!!

That's pretty cool. I did not know that was another named King used back in the early days.

He only used it once in a Men's Magazine The story was called the FIFTH QUARTER. That is not an easy magazine to find.

webstar1000
03-27-2020, 07:01 AM

Thank you David!!!

Thank you! There is a nice list somewhere and they are not all king related, unless there is some very obscure references I don't know. Some are more fun than others. I just started a Gunslinger savings account it has $240 in it. A long way to go. I am actually afraid to buy one because then I have to start saving for my last HOLY GRAIL.

I did think they were! Damm good to know:) I should check my check.. haha
Do tell.. what is the HOLY GRAIL?

MikeDuke
03-27-2020, 07:10 AM
Like Kris is asking, what is your final Grail book. Me, I have several quests to go on :smile:.

stroppygoblin
03-27-2020, 08:00 AM
There is a nice list somewhere and they are not all king related, unless there is some very obscure references I don't know. Some are more fun than others.

We used to link to another web page that showed all of the known designations for the Numbered editions. I just checked and the web site is no longer running and the pages are gone. I have therefore took the liberty of pulling the info from a wayback machine stored page and recreated it on the catalog entry. The full lists for Lettered, PC and Numbered can now be found HERE (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Regulators+The+-+S+L&redirect=no)

:catalogfriend:

webstar1000
03-27-2020, 08:06 AM
There is a nice list somewhere and they are not all king related, unless there is some very obscure references I don't know. Some are more fun than others.

We used to link to another web page that showed all of the known designations for the Numbered editions. I just checked and the web site is no longer running and the pages are gone. I have therefore took the liberty of pulling the info from a wayback machine stored page and recreated it on the catalog entry. The full lists for Lettered, PC and Numbered can now be found HERE (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Regulators+The+-+S+L&redirect=no)

AMAZING

MikeDuke
03-27-2020, 08:59 AM
Yea. That list is very cool. My S\L one that I got from David is #84 check made out to Julie Lowry for Mi-dol. I think it's kind of funny.

webstar1000
03-27-2020, 08:59 AM
Yea. That list is very cool. My S\L one that I got from David is #84 check made out to Julie Lowry for Mi-dol. I think it's kind of funny.

I would want Roland and his guns.. that is my fav!

MikeDuke
03-27-2020, 09:02 AM
Kris, you mean the one that is lettered and for his six shooters? Yea, that would be very cool.

Roseannebarr
03-27-2020, 09:57 AM

Thank you for sharing!

Randall Flagg
03-27-2020, 10:04 AM
There are 2 books with Checks made out to Betts Books (JJ, and a PC). I know David has one, but not sure if he has both.
I like the one made out for $15,000 to Randall Flagg for "Tithe".

amd013
03-27-2020, 11:28 AM

Thanks! Is there a reason the list only goes to 453? I have copy 461.

amd013
03-27-2020, 11:31 AM
I notice that #8 and #407 are duplicates, but apparently he must have had a $2 coupon the first time.

stroppygoblin
03-27-2020, 03:30 PM

yes! The original list creator only had access to books up till 453. Can you let me know who the cheque is for for 461 and the amount?

stroppygoblin
03-27-2020, 03:30 PM
from 400 onwards Peter and his wife started reusing the first ones again

Randall Flagg
03-27-2020, 03:54 PM
from 400 onwards Peter and his wife started reusing the first ones again
Correct:

Note that cheques 1-399 were written by Peter, with no duplications. Starting from 400, Peter's wife helped. The names on the cheques are the same starting from 1, but the amounts have been changed.

Randall Flagg
03-27-2020, 03:55 PM

Tom Cullin, or Rita Blakemore?

stroppygoblin
03-27-2020, 03:59 PM

It should be Dewey the Deck as 400 = 1, 401 = 2 and so on.

Randall Flagg
03-27-2020, 04:08 PM
Yes wise man, I believe you are correct. :crow burp:

amd013
03-28-2020, 10:19 AM

Yes, that is correct, check was for $75.

stroppygoblin
03-29-2020, 05:09 AM

Yes, that is correct, check was for $75.

thanks entry for 461 updated.

wizardsrainbow
04-06-2020, 07:47 PM
Still safe and healthy here.... a limiting my "exposure" as much as I can...CERTAINLY less shipping and excursions to the store for "necessities." I think activity here will be even more limited next couple of weeks...For now, my "real" job continues....waiting for Japanese owner to announce earnings (fiscal year ended March 31). If they are going to close up our unit, it will be with earnings announcement I think...so next 2 weeks will have to wait and see.

kingfan2323
04-06-2020, 09:32 PM
Still safe and healthy here.... a limiting my "exposure" as much as I can...CERTAINLY less shipping and excursions to the store for "necessities." I think activity here will be even more limited next couple of weeks...For now, my "real" job continues....waiting for Japanese owner to announce earnings (fiscal year ended March 31). If they are going to close up our unit, it will be with earnings announcement I think...so next 2 weeks will have to wait and see.Hoping for the best for you regarding your "other job", David. Will be thinking about you.

seeking: anything #246 Dark Tower

MikeDuke
04-07-2020, 05:08 AM
Wishing you good luck with the other job David.

Roseannebarr
04-07-2020, 07:36 AM
Still safe and healthy here.... a limiting my "exposure" as much as I can...CERTAINLY less shipping and excursions to the store for "necessities." I think activity here will be even more limited next couple of weeks...For now, my "real" job continues....waiting for Japanese owner to announce earnings (fiscal year ended March 31). If they are going to close up our unit, it will be with earnings announcement I think...so next 2 weeks will have to wait and see.

You can take BETTS books "to infinity and beyond" if you didn't have to work that other job. :dance:

I hope everything goes OK with the other job. Truly worried during these weird times.

The Library Policeman
04-07-2020, 07:44 AM
Yeah best of luck, David. Hope everything works out for you, mate. :thumbsup:

Beverly Marsh
04-08-2020, 10:20 AM
Hope everything goes okay for you David. I say it's still an option to drop it all, move to Maine, and open a bookstore!
I do hope all is well for you and yours. And anyone else reading this, stay safe and healthy!

Brian James Freeman
04-08-2020, 10:38 AM
Best of luck, David! Please let us know if there's anything we can do for you.

vincent
04-08-2020, 10:59 AM
I wish you all the best David, and the same to anyone here who's living in uncertain times because of the virus.

wizardsrainbow
04-08-2020, 03:32 PM
thank you...fingers, toes and eyes crossed. I hope to "know" something next 10 days

Merlin1958
04-08-2020, 05:30 PM
Wishing you the best of luck, David!!!

Pasiuk57
04-09-2020, 05:17 AM
David
BEST of luck on the announcement!

Ari_Racing
04-09-2020, 07:53 AM
Good luck, David!

herbertwest
04-09-2020, 08:04 AM

Keeping fingers crossed !

Ricky
05-02-2020, 09:51 AM
David, if the customer who has a hold on "Black House S/L #1398 still in shrinkwrap" ends up not buying, please let me know if you remember.

Roseannebarr
05-02-2020, 10:03 AM

Keeping fingers crossed !

Update needed! What did the earnings report say?