PDA

View Full Version : Andy

Letti
09-23-2007, 11:13 AM
I couldn't stand him. He was worse than a human.

Storyslinger
09-23-2007, 11:14 AM
Thats what made him the worst, no soul.
What a slim, damn the old ones for ever making him :pullhair:

Letti
09-23-2007, 11:23 AM
And was he always on the bad side, what do you think?

Storyslinger
09-23-2007, 11:28 AM
I think he was designed that way, even though I hate to think something would be created a evil, heartless, trader, because, he always had the help of on of the Calla folks

Letti
09-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Heartless? You mean there are robots who have a heart?
Anyway...
I have asked it before not here but I am interested in your opinion:
Can robots have feelings?

Storyslinger
09-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Yeah I ment to clear that heart part up

I would think they could if programmed to.
Stutering-Bill certainly seemed to have them, and the little gardians at the portal of the Bear.
Also, if you've ever seen the Animatrix you would see why

Letti
09-23-2007, 11:36 AM
That's just one thing what they seemed to have.
I mean... if you can see that a robot in a book (or in a movie) has feelings it doesn't mean that in real life they can have feelings. It means only one thing that the author of the books thinks they can have feelings.
Does it make any sense?

Storyslinger
09-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Yes it does.

To tell the truth, all things are created with a purpose, but if created by humans have flaws.

If I ever meet a true robot, I shall ask him. But, I believe you may be right my dear

Letti
09-23-2007, 11:41 AM
What will you ask exactly? :)

Storyslinger
09-23-2007, 11:43 AM
"My good metal friend, we're you created with feelings, or is it something that was bestowed on you by a greater force."

Wuducynn
09-23-2007, 11:48 AM

The "bad side"? You mean the gunslingers right?

Storyslinger
09-23-2007, 11:49 AM

Well, he is the White

Letti
09-23-2007, 11:50 AM

:scared: Cry your pardon?

I meant the bad side is the side of the wolves.

Wuducynn
09-23-2007, 11:50 AM
The White is baaaaaaaaaaaaaad m'kay?

Storyslinger
09-23-2007, 11:52 AM
And the CK is great sacrificing small children, right

Letti
09-23-2007, 11:53 AM
The White is baaaaaaaaaaaaaad m'kay?

:rolleyes:

Wuducynn
09-23-2007, 11:55 AM

FINALLY! Someone understands!

Storyslinger
09-23-2007, 11:56 AM

:scared: :nope: :lol:

Letti
09-23-2007, 11:57 AM

You live in another world, CK. :D

Wuducynn
09-23-2007, 03:12 PM
You live in another world, CK. :D

:harrier:

Steve
11-21-2007, 11:10 AM
Robots can't get hearts until they meet the great and powerful Oz.

Matt
11-21-2007, 11:23 AM
That's what I hear.

The more I think about Andy, the more I wonder how many rogue robots were around back in the day. Not that he would be "rogue" in the sense he worked for the opposing team, just in the sense that he obviously made decisions for himself.

Total "I, Robot"

Daghain
11-21-2007, 11:38 AM
:lol: Sometimes you have the best typos.

Rouge is red, I think what you meant was rogue. :lol:

That was my laugh for the day.

Chassit
11-21-2007, 11:40 AM
Typically, advanced AIs are portrayed as having not only reasoning capabilities but also emotions. Personally, I think that in our not too distant future, we will see this in the real world. As such, yes robots can have feelings. Oh and Andy is a scumbag.

XIX

Daghain
11-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Yeah, he was a supercilious fuck, for sure. I find that really irritating.

Matt
11-21-2007, 12:03 PM
:lol: Sometimes you have the best typos.

Rouge is red, I think what you meant was rogue. :lol:

That was my laugh for the day.

I just wanted to prove it was me who typod the towerpedia!

Not sure it was necessary though :lol:

I think AI is the kind of technology that humans will take out of the box and never be able to get back in. Like nuclear weapons.

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 07:46 AM

Yeah, well you just don't understand Andy. I guess only I do. He took a lot of folks abuse for just offering to give them fortunes and sing them songs..

Storyslinger
12-11-2007, 07:48 AM
I guess I could see that side of it

sai blaine
12-11-2007, 08:31 AM

Yeah, well you just don't understand Andy. I guess only I do. He took a lot of folks abuse for just offering to give them fortunes and sing them songs..
Here here! :dance: Support our fellow machines

jayson
12-11-2007, 08:32 AM
I think machines with AI can develop something akin to "feelings," and Andy definitely showed signs of this. Whether or not these feelings could ever cause a machine to undergo any kind of psychic tension about their actions is another question, but on some level Andy enjoyed the havoc he was wreaking and machine or not, I feel this made him a dick.

sai blaine
12-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Andy is to human feelings as Oy is to human speech

blackrose22
03-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Andy as robot isn't bad it's just the way he was programmed to perform. Also i don't think robots will ever have true emotions or feelings no matter how well they advance in years to come. They might have a basic understanding of what feelings and emotions are but never truly be emotional themselves. Human emotions are a life time of learning and experience and a lot of people still don't understand their own emotions or what makes them the way the are.
It may happen some day but no time soon. HAL from 2001 is a long way off.
As story lines with robots and AI computers you should read Iain M Banks Culture books as a lot of the characters are sentient robots and computers who run everything in the Culture along side the people.

jayson
03-11-2008, 09:10 AM
i don't think andy was programmed to enjoy what he was doing, which he clearly did. it's too easy to write him off as a machine. his dealings with slightman at the dogan show that there is more to andy than programming.

obscurejude
03-11-2008, 09:13 AM
i don't think andy was programmed to enjoy what he was doing, which he clearly did. it's too easy to write him off as a machine. his dealings with slightman at the dogan show that there is more to andy than programming.

Well put. I think its important to remember that Andy represents one of the more sci-fi elements of the DT series. There is nothing analogous in our present time to compare the ways that robots are portrayed in the books.

I liked Brian's point about robots being made by humans who are flawed. I think King is exploring some of the implications that more complicated machines might present in this regard i.e. the more complex the machine, the more capable it will be of possessing human flaws- and yes, emotions if it pleases ya.

jayson
03-11-2008, 09:18 AM

Well put. I think its important to remember that Andy represents one of the more sci-fi elements of the DT series. There is nothing analogous in our present time to compare the ways that robots are portrayed in the books.

I liked Brian's point about robots being made by humans who are flawed. I think King is exploring some of the implications that more complicated machines might present in this regard i.e. the more complex the machine, the more capable it will be of possessing human flaws- and yes, emotions if it pleases ya.

definitely. it all goes to illustrate the lack of foresight of the Old People. they had great tech prowess, but lacked requisite forethought on the implications of their creations which outlasted their society.

obscurejude
03-11-2008, 09:22 AM

definitely. it all goes to illustrate the lack of foresight of the Old People. they had great tech prowess, but lacked requisite forethought on the implications of their creations which outlasted their society.

Certainly a warning flare by Sai King. That's why I'd love for the comics to go into a deeper history of the Old People. They are the most intriguing for me, personally. Its a theme in King: the Stand, Cell, etc...

jayson
03-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Certainly a warning flare by Sai King. That's why I'd love for the comics to go into a deeper history of the Old People. They are the most intriguing for me, personally. Its a theme in King: the Stand, Cell, etc...

i think the new arc of the comics will be touching on this as they seem to be into dogans and robots in the "extra stuff at the back" section this time around

obscurejude
03-11-2008, 09:44 AM

i think the new arc of the comics will be touching on this as they seem to be into dogans and robots in the "extra stuff at the back" section this time around

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

LadyHitchhiker
03-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Anyone know anything about shintoism? Apparently the Japanese shintoists believe everything has a "soul".. even inanimate objects. Even robots. In one of Clive Cussler's books, they even gave the robots names which the robots themselves knew.
I don't know, with a machine so anthrophomorphosized (sp.???) it is hard not to develop feelings for them, whether they be good or bad. It is very human to try and humanize others, even when they're inanimate.
The battle between love/hate is very apparent in the Terminator series and tv shows as well as in Star Trek: The Next Generation.
But can you ever really trust something that can be programmed to feel differently than it would originally? Wouldn't this be a form of mental disorder? Going crazy, like Blaine?
I think, that they, just like us, are not at fault because of the brain losing itself. Genetic/electronic factors are evident.
It is only when a robot surpasses its own progamming and comes up with its own ideas of things that it becomes conscious and then I think we REALLY need to worry about it.

Babymordred121
12-29-2010, 03:16 AM
I think the robots definitely had feelings, but that those feelings were completely outside of their control. I'm guessing most robots were originally programmed to enjoy serving humans, and to generally act pleasantly. Because their emotions were dictated by their programming, they wouldn't really be able to grow emotionally or change their personal opinions on things without being reprogrammed. The only real "growth" they could hope to experience would be for their programming to degrade to the point that they either went insane or lost their sense of ethics.

pathoftheturtle
12-30-2010, 01:38 PM
The word "feelings" can mean a lot of different things. Even if robots can be made to have emotions, would they automatically possess all the same ones that humans experience? I think we want to know here whether robots can have empathy, love and compassion. You can program a robot to sacrifice itself for a person, but when it does so, that doesn't mean that the robot cares about that person. What it means is that the programmer cares about that person. There's no reason to assume that the robot would even care about itself. In order for a robot to be heroic, it would have to value self-preservation and still be able to decide to put others first. But can such an ability be manufactured? The very idea of "programming self-determination" presents a contradiction.

Merlin1958
12-30-2010, 03:21 PM
Heartless? You mean there are robots who have a heart?
Anyway...
I have asked it before not here but I am interested in your opinion:
Can robots have feelings?

What about the "Tin Man"? He got a heart!!! LOL

Correct me if I'm wrong, but he may the first Robot to ever appear in literature, no?

:orely:

pathoftheturtle
12-31-2010, 07:32 AM
More of a cyborg, wasn't he?

What about Pinocchio?

Merlin1958
12-31-2010, 08:35 AM
Pinnochio was a puppet. I guess you could make a stretch and say he was a form of Robot, but that's a big stretch. Metal is sort of the prerequisite for a robot no? LOL

pathoftheturtle
12-31-2010, 09:12 AM
No. Lots of robots are made of plastic. Why should they have to be made of metal? What about Data on ST:TNG? Robot, yes?

Merlin1958
12-31-2010, 04:17 PM
No. Lots of robots are made of plastic. Why should they have to be made of metal? What about Data on ST:TNG? Robot, yes?

Are we really having this conversation? LOL :wtf::P:lol:

Beside's under the plastic, Data is mostly metal!! LOL

blavigne
12-31-2010, 07:40 PM

Are we really having this conversation? LOL :wtf::P:lol:

Beside's under the plastic, Data is mostly metal!! LOL

You have a point, about the convo!! LOL But let me chime in here anyway, I love Data and if you remember the end of the series, Data did finally get his "emotion chip".

Merlin1958
01-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Ok, I give!!!!

LOL

blavigne
01-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Ok, I give!!!!

LOL

'bout time!! :)

Merlin1958
01-01-2011, 05:23 PM
Ok, I give!!!!

LOL

'bout time!! :)

:borg::lol::lol::lol:

pathoftheturtle
01-02-2011, 11:14 AM
In the first episode, Ryker compared Data to Pinocchio.
In A.I. Artificial Intelligence, that robot was also compared to Pinocchio.
The robot in Short Circuit, compared to Pinocchio.
I'm not just coming out of nowhere with this...

blavigne
01-02-2011, 05:47 PM
In the first episode, Ryker compared Data to Pinocchio.
In A.I. Artificial Intelligence, that robot was also compared to Pinocchio.
The robot in Short Circuit, compared to Pinocchio.
I'm not just coming out of nowhere with this...

I'm with you :)