PDA

View Full Version : new Marvel series: The Gunslinger

Bev Vincent
10-13-2009, 02:23 AM
Marvel, in collaboration with Stephen King, is proud to announce a new chapter in the Dark Tower graphic fiction adaptation-DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER. Beginning in 2010, The New York Times Best-Selling creative team of Peter David, Robin Furth and Richard Isanove return for a new arc exploring the life of Roland Deschain, revealing how and why he began his pursuit of the man in black across Mid-World's Mohaine Desert! Beginning another epic tale, told over multiple limited series, DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER marks another milestone for the graphic fiction sensation that's captivated fans worldwide. The Dark Tower collaboration between Marvel and Stephen King has drawn accolades from all corners, revolutionizing the comic book industry with previously unprecedented mainstream media coverage and the first worldwide midnight openings for a graphic fiction series.

"We are extremely excited to continue our epic journey into the DARK TOWER universe with THE GUNSLINGER," says Ruwan Jayatilleke, Senior Vice President, Strategic Development-Acquisitions & Licensing. "And we are equally ecstatic to continue our collaboration with Stephen King as well as keeping comic book fans on their toes!"

Following the climactic Battle of Jericho Hill, Roland Deschain now begins the most important journey of his young life in DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER.

>>> Marvel (http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.9828.Diamond_Summit_~apos~09~colon~_D ark_Tower)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-13-2009, 02:51 AM
I presume this is a graphical novel version of the first Dark Tower book, The Gunslinger?

nyy3723a
10-13-2009, 03:37 AM
Seems like a bridge between the end of the most recent arc and the start of The Gunslinger to me.

turtlex
10-13-2009, 03:48 AM
This is great news. Three cheers for Marvel for continuing the relationship with Sai King and Roland.

( Though, to be honest - I really wish it were Jae Lee and not Isanove who was doing the art. )

And I love that it's confirmed as "multiple limited series" !!

There's a thread started over in the Comic Tower (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=448941) containing this info as well.

Ari_Racing
10-13-2009, 04:06 AM
Is this the DT news that the banner at sk.com suggested?

turtlex
10-13-2009, 04:07 AM
Ari - That's a good question... but why mention November when the announcement was just made last night ( October 12th )?!?

Bev Vincent
10-13-2009, 05:20 AM
Sample artwork at King's website (http://www.stephenking.com/promo/gunslinger_gn/).

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-13-2009, 05:57 AM

I don't think it is. The banner is still showing November 2009 and The Gunslinger graphic novels are on the main page.

Nerak
10-13-2009, 07:27 AM
I heard that it was coming next year.

flaggwalkstheline
10-13-2009, 07:42 AM

I don't think it is. The banner is still showing November 2009 and The Gunslinger graphic novels are on the main page.

I hope it's not

I'm not a big fan of the comics...

Daghain
10-13-2009, 08:06 AM
Well, not having Jae Lee on it is disappointing.

ola
10-13-2009, 08:36 AM
I'm torn on this. I'm supportive of basically anything new and Dark Tower, but when it a.) isn't written at all by Stephen King and b.) doesn't include the artist that made me want to buy all the comics in the first place...it dampens the excitement.

Especially when you approach "The Gunslinger" timeline I feel like it might become harder to ignore inconsistencies between the books and the David + Furth creations. And not just with story content, but with writing style. Wizard and Glass and other prequel/flashback stuff happened long enough before the rest of the series that there can be some variance, I think, without it being a huge deal. (Like with the whole Sheemie backstory 'interpretation.' ;)) But once you start explaining away what happened just before Roland showed up in Tull it starts to feel a little weird, like King should be the only one touching that stuff.

pathoftheturtle
10-13-2009, 09:09 AM
...exploring the life of Roland Deschain, revealing how and why he began his pursuit of the man in black across Mid-World's Mohaine Desert! ...

*faints* SWOON! :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:

I'll be glad to have their vision; definitely a ripe portion of the mythos. It's true that it won't be King, of course, but that's never made stuff worthless or taboo to me. (Not that I won't be complaining about parts; I'm sure that I'll be here grumping about most, actually, but I will be eagerly buying them.)

Awesome. :cool: :rock: