PDA

View Full Version : Gunslingers Gun of Choice?

chuxter
09-21-2007, 12:37 PM
So i've been in the market for a good personal protection weapon for a while.
I have my great-grandfathers S&W .38 Model 10 and I'll probably keep it for my wife to use but I want a compact (not sub-compact) pistol. I've been looking at a S&W 4006 that is part of a police buy-back deal and I can get it for a reasonable price. Does anyone have any hands-on experience with it? It was a toss up between a 9 mil or a .40 and I'm leaning toward the .40
:shoot:I go in for the concealed weapons class next week and I'll probably use my High-Standard 22 to qualify just 'cause it's so easy and cheap to shoot.

I'm also interested in hearing what you guys carry or wish you had to money to get.

Randall Flagg
09-21-2007, 01:16 PM
Sig Sauer 229 .40 caliber or a Glock 23 .40 Caliber.
The Glock is going to be ~6oz. lighter. Both are fine weapons.

She-Oy
09-21-2007, 01:37 PM
I used to have one of these before I sold it...

a cute little Beretta...

http://products.berettausa.com/images/3032_S.jpg

OchrisO
09-21-2007, 11:45 PM
Glocks are dangerous as shit all around.

I just keep a 16ga shotgun in my home, and no handgun , though my roomates both have them.

Storyslinger
09-23-2007, 11:37 AM
I had a .45 revolver with sandlewood grip, no shit, from my grandfather, but it was stolen from my house just over a year ago :pullhair:

I will kill who ever took it

Letti
09-23-2007, 11:40 AM
I always keep a micro uzi in my handbag. (next to my makeup)

http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/images/spring_uzi_jpg.jpg

Storyslinger
09-23-2007, 11:42 AM
:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Letti
09-23-2007, 11:42 AM
No kidding. ;)

Storyslinger
09-23-2007, 11:46 AM
;) :lol:

Daghain
09-23-2007, 06:26 PM
I used to have a Ruger in the house, but I lived with a crazy person then, which is why I'm leery of guns in the house. :D

I did inherit my dad's pellet pistol, though, although I have never shot it. I'm kind of afraid of messing with it and accidentally putting a hole in my wall. :rofl:

ZoNeSeeK
09-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Best defence ever is setting your house on fire. Who's going to break into a burning house and steal your freedom and liberty and american way of life? NOT ME!

Wuducynn
09-23-2007, 08:21 PM
Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .45 Colt

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/images/Products/229L.jpg

and my other gun of choice, Ruger New Vaquero also in .45 Colt

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/images/Products/254L.jpg

ZoNeSeeK
09-23-2007, 09:53 PM
Here's one of my personal favourites:

the Deadlock AM-215 47mm (comes with 3 spare keys)
http://www.allproducts.com/manufacture7/amex/30-securitybolt.jpg

The AM-215 pretty good in combination with the SC-100 Wireless:

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-94547362551725_1966_1378669

and with

http://www.mobilesecuritydoors.com.au/images/CategorySecurityScreens.jpg

(Look at the little terrorist!)

fernandito
09-23-2007, 09:57 PM
You forgot the Danger : 10,000 volts! sign. :)

Letti
09-23-2007, 09:57 PM
The first one is a cutie, CK.
The second one looks nice.

OchrisO
09-23-2007, 10:08 PM
That stuff doesn't give you the chance of possibly getting to shoot someone, though, Zone.

ZoNeSeeK
09-23-2007, 10:09 PM
O yeah :(

you could thump them in the head with the lock, though

chuxter
09-24-2007, 04:26 AM
I always keep a micro uzi in my handbag. (next to my makeup)

http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/images/spring_uzi_jpg.jpg

OK, does anyone else think this is just sexy as hell?

I've been away for the weekend and didn't get to read all the responses.
That Super Redhawk Alaskan is pretty cool. Easy to conceal too. My buddy has the Super Redhawk .44 Rem Mag. It's got a 9 1/2 inch barrel and it takes him 5 minutes to draw it out of the holster.

The Sig Sauer 229 is bad ass too. I think that's what the Secret Service guys carry. I thought about that one but i've priced them anywhere from $850.00-$1300.00 which is too rich for me right now.

Wuducynn
09-24-2007, 05:42 AM
The first one is a cutie, CK.
The second one looks nice.

You're a cutie.

Wuducynn
09-24-2007, 05:44 AM

Me.

That Super Redhawk Alaskan is pretty cool. Easy to conceal too. My buddy has the Super Redhawk .44 Rem Mag. It's got a 9 1/2 inch barrel and it takes him 5 minutes to draw it out of the holster.

The Sig Sauer 229 is bad ass too. I think that's what the Secret Service guys carry. I thought about that one but i've priced them anywhere from $850.00-$1300.00 which is too rich for me right now.

Yeah its a great gun and so is the Vaquero but its definitely not a carry gun unless your out in the woods somewhere, I want the one with the shortest barrell available which is the one in the pic.

chuxter
09-24-2007, 08:48 AM

Me.

Yeah its a great gun and so is the Vaquero but its definitely not a carry gun unless your out in the woods somewhere, I want the one with the shortest barrell available which is the one in the pic.

And there are several factors for me in choosing between a long or short barrel. Do I want to conceal it, is it for personal protection, is it for target practice.....etc. I'd want the long barrel for longer range accuracy or a short barrel to conceal and for those folks who might invade what my wife calls one's purple circle, 7 yards or closer.

Matt
09-24-2007, 09:44 AM
Even though I was a military guy, I am not much on guns.

Home defense? The dog for sure.

Hunting? Not me man

Sport shooting? That was actually kind of fun back in the day and once the kids are all gone, me and Dora might pick it back up.

ZoNeSeeK
09-24-2007, 07:26 PM
There was a pistol shooting range in one of the southern suburbs. After a few people paid their $15, went in there and blew their brains all over the walls, they modified the guns so that they couldn't be pivoted around.

Wuducynn
09-24-2007, 07:49 PM
There was a pistol shooting range in one of the southern suburbs. After a few people paid their $15, went in there and blew their brains all over the walls, they modified the guns so that they couldn't be pivoted around.

Idiots.

Wuducynn
09-24-2007, 07:58 PM
If I was to get a semi-auto (I prefer revolvers) it would be a Kimber 1911 like this one

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/Kimber-Pro-CarryII-SS-med-nam.jpg

Daghain
09-24-2007, 08:00 PM
I actually can shoot better with a revolver than an semi-automatic, but that is one sweet looking gun. :D

Wuducynn
09-24-2007, 08:08 PM
I also shoot better with revolvers, I also like how they're simpler to handle, easier to clean and more reliable. Much fewer parts to fail on you at a bad moment.

chuxter
09-25-2007, 05:03 AM
Kimber makes a great gun. So does CZ.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/chuxter/cz.jpg

MonteGss
09-25-2007, 09:31 AM
CK or Daggers if you guys are ever in my deck of the woods, do you want to teach me to shoot? I've never fired a gun before.

I can't really claim to be a gunslinger because of this...:(

Daghain
09-25-2007, 09:37 AM
I've only shot a gun maybe five times in my life. Not sure I'm qualified to teach. :lol:

MonteGss
09-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Well, CK can help us out, I'm sure. Afterwards (or before?) we can go get smashed and talk DT. :)

Matt
09-25-2007, 09:46 AM
I've fired every gun you can imagine--never really developed a taste for it. :orely:

Daghain
09-25-2007, 10:17 AM
I love to shoot, but I do have a healthy fear of them. :D

fernandito
09-25-2007, 10:20 AM
I also shoot better with revolvers, I also like how they're simpler to handle, easier to clean and more reliable. Much fewer parts to fail on you at a bad moment.

Planning on going on a shooting spree there CK? And aren't you supposed to be using sneetches instead of guns? :rofl:

OchrisO
09-25-2007, 10:23 AM
My dad has a really nice nickel-plated Python .375 Magnum. It belonged to my grandmother. She was a gun collector. It is beautiful. Erin went back home with me once and we shot it because she had never shot a gun before. It is a beast of a gun, much longer barrel than your typical .357 and I forgot how loud it was until I shot it again.

chuxter
09-25-2007, 10:36 AM
You're not talkin' about your meat pistol are you? :lol:

I've fired every gun you can imagine--never really developed a taste for it. :orely:

fernandito
09-25-2007, 10:46 AM
My dad has a really nice nickel-plated Python .375 Magnum. It belonged to my grandmother. She was a gun collector. It is beautiful. Erin went back home with me once and we shot it because she had never shot a gun before. It is a beast of a gun, much longer barrel than your typical .357 and I forgot how loud it was until I shot it again.

Chevre!

Can you post a picture of it?

Wuducynn
09-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Well, CK can help us out, I'm sure. Afterwards (or before?) we can go get smashed and talk DT. :)

I would be more than happy to. Both. :harrier: Too bad you're not here in New England, there is a range in New Hampshire where they have Thompson guns available to shoot, with the round magazine..straight out of the gangster movies of the 30s and 40s. :cool:

Wuducynn
09-25-2007, 10:51 AM
aren't you supposed to be using sneetches instead of guns? :rofl:

Who says I can't use both?

OchrisO
09-25-2007, 10:57 AM

Chevre!

Can you post a picture of it?

I'll try to get a picture of it the next time I visit my dad. I tried to google a picture of a similar one, but my google-fu isn't very strong today.

Matt
09-25-2007, 11:02 AM
:rofl:

Some :cyclops:

You're not talkin' about your meat pistol are you? :lol:

fernandito
09-25-2007, 11:35 AM
little fireman time?:)

ZoNeSeeK
09-25-2007, 07:38 PM
How about you all take up counterstrike instead?

chuxter
09-26-2007, 04:09 AM
I'm replaying Halo right now. Is it true that Halo 2 for the PC only works on Vista. What a stupid marketing idea if it is.

Anyway, back to topic. My understanding is that the majority of pistol jams (i.e. cartridges that won't eject) are caused by "limp-wristing" the gun. In other words if you allow the gun to kick back too far the shell won't eject right. Some say the .40 I'm looking at is supposed to be bad for jamming and some say it's bullshit. I won't know 'till I get it.

Wuducynn
09-26-2007, 06:55 AM
Anyway, back to topic. My understanding is that the majority of pistol jams (i.e. cartridges that won't eject) are caused by "limp-wristing" the gun. In other words if you allow the gun to kick back too far the shell won't eject right. Some say the .40 I'm looking at is supposed to be bad for jamming and some say it's bullshit. I won't know 'till I get it.

Sig P229 right? I haven't heard about this jamming issue with this gun. I knew someone awhile ago who had this gun in .40 and swore by it. Sigs are great guns, I've shot a P226 in .40 a couple of times and loved it.

chuxter
09-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Sorry, I forgot to specify. It was the S&W 4006. Sig's are supposed to be extremely reliable. I guess if mine jammed I'd just throw it at them.

Sig P229 right? I haven't heard about this jamming issue with this gun. I knew someone awhile ago who had this gun in .40 and swore by it. Sigs are great guns, I've shot a P226 in .40 a couple of times and loved it.

ZoNeSeeK
09-26-2007, 08:11 PM
http://www.wallpaperbase.com/wallpapers/military/destroyer/destroyer_2.jpg

:D

Storyslinger
09-27-2007, 07:13 AM
:lol: :rofl: :D

chuxter
10-08-2007, 05:44 AM
Well, I got my .40 cal S&W 4006 about a week ago and went out and shot it this weekend. Lemmie say it's a nice weapon. I still have to get used to shooting it as it's a heavy SOB at 37oz empty.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/chuxter/4006.jpg
Now I'm looking at a couple of Galco shoulder holsters. They're expensive so I've been bidding on ebay. Hoping to get one on the cheap.

Wuducynn
10-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Well, I got my .40 cal S&W 4006 about a week ago and went out and shot it this weekend. Lemmie say it's a nice weapon. I still have to get used to shooting it as it's a heavy SOB at 37oz empty.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/chuxter/4006.jpg
Now I'm looking at a couple of Galco shoulder holsters. They're expensive so I've been bidding on ebay. Hoping to get one on the cheap.

Nice looking gun, I believe I've shot one of those before but its been awhile. Any jams while shooting it? As far as your shopping for a holster goes, do you have any gun shows in your area? Often those are great places to buy stuff like shoulder holsters for cheap. For CC I've been looking at Thunderwear, I've read some good stuff about their holsters.

towerguard
01-17-2008, 06:29 AM
Picking up this today. I'm pretty pumped. http://www.taurususa.com/images/imagesMain/1911B1.jpg

Wuducynn
01-17-2008, 06:51 AM
Too bad my company's firewall is blocking it...I hope thats an awesome White Box With Red X In The Middle in 40 caliber.

Jonn Wolfe
01-17-2008, 06:58 AM
I used a Surplus 1911/1A when I was in the service. Still remember how to break it down and clean all the bits too.

I have a (weird German brand that I can't remember at the moment) knock off of a Colt "cowboy style" gun. It's a .22 cal. Never fired.

Wuducynn
01-17-2008, 07:08 AM
If I was to own a semi-auto it'd be a 1911 or a SIG P226. My only complaint about 1911's is their limited mag capacity. Which is why I'd probably go with a P226 in .40. For a regular carry gun I'm sticking with my Ruger Redhawk Alaskan in .45. :cool:

TerribleT
01-17-2008, 09:01 AM
That's my favorite weapon. When I was in the service it was the standard MP weapon, and I carried one for 3 years.

Jonn Wolfe
01-22-2008, 03:48 AM
My only complaint about 1911's is their limited mag capacity.
Well, you don't really need all that many bullets when a .40 cal goes through someone.:evil:

Wuducynn
01-22-2008, 06:20 AM
Thing is, if I buy a semi-auto I want more than just a 7 bullet capacity. Anyway the new double action .45 Ruger Redhawk is the one I'm buying.

Wuducynn
01-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Here's my baby - http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/351L.jpg

I'll probably buy two of them.

Malficeus
01-25-2008, 09:54 PM
m44 beside my bed is the best "how you doing" to a midnight guest

cozener
01-26-2008, 10:14 PM
This is my home protection...

http://www.lfchosting.com/digitalcanoe/knife/pictures/kabar/images/kabar1214.jpg

It was inexpensive, takes very little maintenance, works well in close quarters combat, and most importantly, its always loaded.

;)

Wuducynn
01-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Yeah, knives are good. But try stopping someone from a distance who is a lot bigger than you with it. It looks great in the movies but doesn't work so well in real life ;)

cozener
01-26-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm not talking about throwing the thing. A few things to consider; in the first place most burglars do not carry guns. If I did have a gun I would have to have it pretty much neutralized because of the pair of small curous hands I have running around. If you're attacked in your home its unlikely it would be a situation where you'd have an opportunity to get to whatever weapon you might have anyway. If I did have the time to react to a home invasion my knife is ready, not locked away somewhere. If I do have the opportunity its likely going to be a situation where I know someone is in the house and I can create a situation where they're close to me...especially in the confines of my house.

In my house, they'd have have a hard time getting to distance. There are only two places where an assailant would be far enough away from me to get off a shot before I got to him and this combat would take place in the dark. I know my house, he doesn't. He might be surprised and panicky. Even if he isn't this doesn't change the equation that much simply because its so unikely that I would confront an assailant in either of these two places.

Sure, in the hands of someone thats really comfortable with weapons and combat a gun is much better but I'm betting that this wouldn't be the guy thats breaking into my house. The calibur of person I'm considering usually has better things to do.

I'm not saying I wouldn't own a gun. I just don't feel that a gun is practical in my situation.

Wuducynn
01-26-2008, 10:41 PM
A. You can never be sure that an assailant doesn't have a gun. Do you want to leave it up to a stastic you heard? Or would you rather be safe?

B. About the kids. Yeah that is an issue, but plenty of folk have kids and guns and do just fine. I was one of them.

C. You always keep a gun somewhere easy to reach of course and safe from the little kids until they get old enough to know not to touch them.

D. Again, you're making a lot of ASS umptions. I would rather know that I can take out some burglar or other assailant than think "Oh he probably doesn't have a gun anyway"

E. Your knife is great, but it still is closed quarters combat and it is much better to stop someone from a distance. Much less mischief to have to deal with.

Wuducynn
01-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Cozener's typing out War and Peace in reply...

* waits patiently*

cozener
01-26-2008, 10:59 PM
I admit that I'm playing the odds. I'm betting that its far more likely, no matter what precautions I take, that one of my sons will kill themselves with the gun (either by accident or because of some future teenage depression issue), than it is that someone bent on murder and mayhem would enter my house.

I'm also betting that if I got extraordinarilly lucky just in knowing that there was someone in the house before it was too late and then beating even worse odds by having the opportunity to get to my weapon (even if it is close) that combat would be close quarters combat.

(see that wasn't War and Peace!)

Wuducynn
01-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Yeah but ---> http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m168/Los_The_Red/116204_Cozenerisalittlebitch20andaf.jpg

cozener
01-26-2008, 11:03 PM
That is beside the point!

Wuducynn
01-26-2008, 11:03 PM
Shut up and type out some more Dark Tower fan fic.

cozener
01-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Hey I just might do that. I was actually considering doing a few shorts like that, telling the storiessome of the last gunslingers, the ones that Roland alludedthat went on the quest that died off, abandoned the quest, etc. :) (and I can't remember where he talked about it, I think it was in book 2, maybe you can help me with that)

Wuducynn
01-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Maybe do a story of Burning Chris fighting Farson :cool:

cozener
01-26-2008, 11:12 PM
Who is Burning Chris? Is he in the comics? I haven't read them yet. I was waiting for the last one to come out. Was going to just get the big graphic novel after it was all done. Or is it done?

Wuducynn
01-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Its done and should be read by any Tower Junkie..but no, Burning Chris is Christopher Johns nickname, Alain Johns's Father. *slap!*

cozener
01-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Ah I had no idea. I'll definately grab it posthaste.

Wuducynn
01-26-2008, 11:19 PM
Its mentioned in Wizard and Glass that, that was his nickname..it would be a wicked interesting DT fan fic to tell how he got it.

Wuducynn
01-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Anyway...bringing this thread back on topic...Cozener, have you fired any guns before and if you were going to buy one, what would it be?

Wuducynn
01-26-2008, 11:30 PM
I've shot (thinking)..

AK-47

AR-15

TEC-9 (worst gun ever in my opinion)

M-14

Various Sig Sauer's, my preferred being the P226 in .40

A Smith & Wesson something or other in .40

A Springfield 1911 in .45

Smith & Wesson .38

Oh yeah and a pistol gripped shot gun.

cozener
01-26-2008, 11:55 PM
I've fired M16s, 240 gulfs, M249 SAW, grenade launchers, mortars, M9 (Beretta), some Russian pistol that I can't remember the name of but I didn't much like, a Ruger, a Walther PPK, shotguns (for dove hunting). I've shot a couple of revolvers but I can't remember which ones.

Out of these I suppose I'd go for the Beretta. Its the one I have the most experience with. But if I were going to buy a gun I'd definately shop around.

Wuducynn
01-26-2008, 11:59 PM
"shot around" cute. Like I've said in my previous posts, I prefer revolvers to auto-loaders. But if I was going to buy an auto-loader it would be a P226 in .40. But I WILL be buying the .45 Redhawk I posted a picture of above...can't wait to shoot it. If you get up to New Hampshire I'll take you to a range and shoot you...I mean we'll go shooting.

cozener
01-27-2008, 12:09 AM
I don't have a lot of experience with revolvers. Whenever I've shot a revolver its been with friends out in the boonies just fuckin' around. The m16 and Beretta I've actually trained on. I'd love to try out an AK. I've heard that they're better than m16s. Is this true?

Oh and I edited my post...I'd never make such a bad pun :D

ATG
01-27-2008, 12:13 AM
I'd like to find a 45 acp revolver.

Wuducynn
01-27-2008, 12:18 AM
I don't have a lot of experience with revolvers. Whenever I've shot a revolver its been with friends out in the boonies just fuckin' around. The m16 and Beretta I've actually trained on. I'd love to try out an AK. I've heard that they're better than m16s. Is this true?

Oh and I edited my post...I'd never make such a bad pun :D

Oh yes you would, you just did! Yes, AK's are a much more rugged rifle than M-16s..although its not as much fun to shoot as an M-16. I would still rather have an AK. Too many parts with an M-16 for my taste. I was at a camping event last summer and this guy was cleaning his AR-15 and lost this tiny firing pin, that was it until he got another..luckily he did have one.
But I'm thinking to myself, damn...that sucks.

Daghain
01-27-2008, 11:49 PM
I'll admit I'm a bit scared of guns, only because I have minimal experience with them.

That said, I've got my home defense right here:

http://home.comcast.net/~sellers66/BeltCeremony08_1.jpg

Wuducynn
01-28-2008, 05:29 AM
Karate and other martial arts are great and I'm all for them, in my opinion nothing beats a gun for self defense. My .45 - http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/351L.jpg will knock down a 400 lb kung-fu master every day of the week.

chuxter
05-08-2008, 09:33 AM
This is my latest baby
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/chuxter/taurus24-7.jpg

I've put around 300 rounds thru it with zero FTF's or stovepipes, ejection problems, etc. All it wants to do when I shoot it is hit what I'm aiming at.

I finally got around to getting my concealed weapon permit and this is what I'm carrying. It's a little larger than I would have liked in a CC gun but I couldn't pass up the price.

BTW, that's a nice .45 Ruger AHTCK!! Vurrrrrry niiiize.

Daghain
05-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Note to self: do not rob chuxter's house. :lol:

Wuducynn
05-08-2008, 09:42 AM
This is my latest baby
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/chuxter/taurus24-7.jpg

I've put around 300 rounds thru it with zero FTF's or stovepipes, ejection problems, etc. All it wants to do when I shoot it is hit what I'm aiming at.

I finally got around to getting my concealed weapon permit and this is what I'm carrying. It's a little larger than I would have liked in a CC gun but I couldn't pass up the price.

BTW, that's a nice .45 Ruger AHTCK!! Vurrrrrry niiiize.

Speaking of vurrrrry niiiiize thats one nice looking pistol, is that a .40 Taurus? I'll probably picking up my pistol in a couple of months.

Wuducynn
05-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Speaking of which, Erin and Babs "Daghain" would look really hot with a pistol strapped to their hips. :harrier:

Daghain
05-08-2008, 09:54 AM
:lol:

chuxter
05-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Speaking of which, Erin and Babs "Daghain" would look really hot with a pistol strapped to their hips. :harrier:

I believe I'd like to see that. Yuppers.

Yup, it's the Taurus 24/7 Pro .40 and it holds 15+1. It's a very comfortable gun to shoot with little recoil.

Wuducynn
05-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Have you heard about the upcoming update to the Springfield XD? It will hold 16 + 1 in .40. :harrier: If I get an auto-loader, that might be one that I pick up.

Brainslinger
05-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Some nice looking shooters on this thread.

Those things are mostly illegal over here. Actually a good thing, we tend to have a lot less gun crime than the US, although criminals can still get hold of them if they want them. Mostly black market imports from Eastern Europe I believe (although I don't know much about it.)

I've even known people who have guns myself, although that was before the gun laws became even stricter in this country. Handled one or two unloaded ones as well, (a mate's dad had a couple) but I've never fired them. A couple were tiny semi automatic pistols (I didn't take note of the make at the time.) Also pulled the trigger on a neighbors (unloaded) rifle.

Even our police don't carry guns as a rule. (Although they break them out if they're raiding known armed criminals obviously.)

I've never fired a gun, although I wouldn't mind having a go at a firing range.

CK what did you mean by 'Shotgun with pistol grips'? Is that a converted shotgun with a pistol handle (probably not the right term but you'll know what I mean) attached? Or am I interpreting that description a bit too literally?

I'm not sure of the point in that, unless it were a sawn-off.

Wuducynn
05-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Some nice looking shooters on this thread.

Those things are mostly illegal over here. Actually a good thing, we tend to have a lot less gun crime than the US

Yeah, right now I'm not interested in getting into an argument over gun ownership and crime. Maybe some other time.

I've never fired a gun, although I wouldn't mind having a go at a firing range.

CK what did you mean by 'Shotgun with pistol grips'? Is that a converted shotgun with a pistol handle (probably not the right term but you'll know what I mean) attached? Or am I interpreting that description a bit too literally?

I'm not sure of the point in that, unless it were a sawn-off.

Pistol grip does mean a shot gun with a pistol grip, but it doesn't necessarily mean "converted". Just built that way. It's a more comfortable shoot with a pistol grip than a regular butt only shotgun. If you get over to the US, specifically New Hampshire or the New England region, let me know and I'll take you to a range.

P.S. You can open carry here in New Hampshire and believe it or not this is one of the lowest crime rate states in the US! And yes there are cities in NH.

Brainslinger
05-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Yeah, right now I'm not interested in getting into an argument over gun ownership and crime. Maybe some other time.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to come across preachy etc, although I can see how it might come across that way with the terminology I used. 'Those things...' etc.

Basically I think the tighter gun laws are good all round, in the sense that the wrong people can easily get their hands on them. Or they might feel inclined to if they think everyone else has them too.

But never mind that for now, I know that debate is not what this thread is about.

I understand though that there are plenty of gun owners who are responsible. And I'd be lying if I said I don't find them rather fascinating. And the mechanism is beautiful, even if what they do isn't. Particularly the way revolvers work, essentially victorian technology, yet somehow still more reliable than the more modern variety. (Albeit there are pros and cons for each.)

chuxter
05-09-2008, 08:13 AM
This too could be considered a shotgun with pistol grips.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/chuxter/DSC00272.jpg

"The Judge" named so because it seems to be the weapon of choice for judges to carry into the courtroom. You basically point it in the general direction of your target and shoot.

Badass little gun that shoots 410 shotgun shells, .45, or even flares.

Brainslinger
05-11-2008, 03:10 PM
A revolver shotgun! I didn't realise such a thing existed.

Talking of judges, I think this is the firearm for me:

Lawgiver Mark 2 (http://www.termight.co.uk/lawgiver.html)

-Two modes of fire, single and rapid (i.e. auto).
-Down the barrel targeting,
-DNA coded to owner, i.e. anyone else trying to fire this baby ends up with no hand.
-Loaded with rounds of different types. Rounds include, standard, ricochet (I.e made from a material which bounces of of hard surfaces, good for shooting round corners but careful you don't shoot yourself), incendiary (that one's good for the undead), Hi-ex (i.e. explosive bullets. Imagine bullet sized grenades.), armor piercing, and heat-seeker (i.e. fire in general direction, and the bullet will chase the target.)

Of course we still have to wait for next century before it gets invented. The mark 1 will be available near the end of this century though (similar spec, less chunky). Of course there will be an atomic war to go through first, devastating most of the US leading to most of the population (the non mutant ones) existing in Mega-city states which make Ludd look like a village. ;)

valtr0n
09-07-2008, 12:55 PM
As most of you probably know, I'm a pretty big gun enthusiast. I love them for the history, the usefulness, the art, and last but not least the fun.

Now, this isn't meant to be a political thread. I know some people don't like guns. That's fine. This thread isn't for you. But, I'm sure a lot of people here do like guns... after all, we're on a site dedicated to a Gunslinger.

Do any of you collect guns? Do any of you hunt? What do you hunt? What do you hunt with? Do you target shoot? Handload? What's your favorite gun? Best deal you ever got?

Share!

alinda
09-07-2008, 01:21 PM
I currently do not own a gun, I live out in the country and I have owned many guns.357/45's and several types of shotguns and rifle's.
My brother in laws are avid gun collectors , and lets just say we're ready for
the end of the world riots...and a shitload of other stuff!!( assult weapons included) I enjoy target practice,and have spent many a day out with the old boys....
and to be honest have hunted(for food & sport)I have always eaten the animals.
I advocate the right to bear arms as a citicen, and am quick to point out that I also
advocate gun safty and common sence when it comes to any weapon. The gang violence ...and school shooting's and the like have put many folk on the defence when it come to this issue. Sad when you think of it, yet entirely understandable as over the past 100 years guns have become some sort of status symbol to thugs with the IQ of slugs. I however believe it to not only be my right to bear arms , but also my pleasure.:rose:

Jon
09-07-2008, 01:32 PM
I shall take pics of my pride and joy Mossberg and post them soon. I cannot afford to be a collector. I have a Phoenix Arms pistol that I am ashamed of It is the worst gun I have ever used. It LOOKS good but... I have one rather unremarkable .22.

I got to fire an AK-47 and the AK-74 for the first time this summer!!:nana:

cozener
09-07-2008, 01:44 PM
I've hunted dove and shot at a few deer but most of my experience with guns comes from playing with the hardware in the marines. I enjoyed shooting the m16 but it was a ball shooting some of the big stuff...a couple of mounted machine guns, 240gulfs and saws. Grenade launchers and mortars I found unsatifying for some reason. But I did like watching the shit go boom. :)

I love 19th century handguns and how ornate they can be. Lugars...very cool looking gun
too. I don't own any though. Two too many pairs of curious hands in my house. ;)

alinda
09-07-2008, 01:52 PM
:thumbsup:

valtr0n
09-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Good to see so many gunnies here already.

Jon, which did you like better, the 47 or the 74? I've had both, and while I care for the accuracy improvements with the 74, it doesn't have enough power to "do the job." It's applicable purposes aren't many. It falls into the dreaded intermediary space. It's enough to kill anything up to but not including a deer (well, it would, it just wouldn't be humane to attempt it), but a .22 will serve the same purpose. It's only a moderately effective infantry rifle, and the usage of the AK-47 still outweighs it. One great thing about it... ammo is super cheap for it. And right now, that's saying a lot.

cozener
09-07-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm very partial to the mid 19th century style. I think its the length that makes them look so foreboding. :) I imagine Roland's guns to have this shape as well. Something like this...

http://www.kopes.com/weapons/1861-navy-revolver.JPG

John Blaze
09-07-2008, 07:22 PM
ahh yes, but Roland's guns were not top breaks. I don't think so anyway.

I'm a wheelie man myself, I like revolvers, but I like guns in general. Most of you know this, Valtron sure does.....

I recently bought a Marlin 336a .30-30, which is a great gun, and this is the second time I buy it. The first time was last year right before they broke into my house and stole it. KEEP YOUR GUNS IN YOUR SAFE!

Speaking of safes, I need a new one. Mine's too small for my collection. I'll post some pics soon.

My next purchase will be a Ruger "Old Style" Vaquero in .45lc. I've wanted one for ages!

Post pics later.

Sam
09-07-2008, 08:03 PM
JohnBlaze,
I would suggest the Bisley myself but that's because I just like the hammer spur much better than the one on the Vaquero and Blackhawk. BTW, I own a .357 Blackhawk and a rig to go with it. Unfortunately the rig was made for a .45, so I need to buy a .45 Bisley to go with the rig. That and loose some weight so I can actually wear the rig again.:cry:

Jon
09-08-2008, 01:34 AM
Good to see so many gunnies here already.

Jon, which did you like better, the 47 or the 74? I've had both, and while I care for the accuracy improvements with the 74, it doesn't have enough power to "do the job." It's applicable purposes aren't many. It falls into the dreaded intermediary space. It's enough to kill anything up to but not including a deer (well, it would, it just wouldn't be humane to attempt it), but a .22 will serve the same purpose. It's only a moderately effective infantry rifle, and the usage of the AK-47 still outweighs it. One great thing about it... ammo is super cheap for it. And right now, that's saying a lot.

Yeah, the cheap ammo is the entire point I think. It is a bit lighter (JUST enough to feel) but it seemed to have a faster "swing" than the reduced weight accounted for (balance? or maybe just me) It seemed like, with the swing, they had hunting in mind LOL. The knock down power was noticeably less. I ASSUME it is also cheaper to make as well. If I were putting my money down I'd buy the 47. The accuracy improvement wasn't that much plus... its a machine gun!! When you can pump out 600 RPM accuracy only matters so much. When you can "burst 400 rounds per min. (I know, wide open is likely more like 600 but no one who knows what they are doing uses such a weapon wide open very often.) I reckon the side rail mount for night scopes (AK-74M) and the folding buttstock help in war along with the various night finishes. I fear the much improved muzzle brake will reduce the recoil so much more that even younger children will be using it. War is no place for young ons.

Bottom line, for the collector, the 74M is a 47 that has has bells and wistles you don't need and lost the knock down power you DO need.

valtr0n
09-08-2008, 02:46 AM
To each his own, but I'd take the Vaquero over the Bisley. I just wish they still made the Vaquero with the octagonal barrel.

I hate buying a gun from Ruger, just because of how he sold out gun owners in the 90's... but, he's dead now, and the company is starting to turn around some of their ridiculous policies.

Wuducynn
09-08-2008, 11:33 AM
There already is a gun chat thread, maybe they should be merged.

http://thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=930

cozener
09-08-2008, 12:18 PM
ahh yes, but Roland's guns were not top breaks. I don't think so anyway.
Y'know that brings up a good question. I don't recall Roland's reloading ever being described to a point where this is clear. I kind of assumed they were like regular revolvers too. But I just like the look of these others.

valtr0n
09-08-2008, 05:01 PM
From what I recall, him reloading in Tull sounds very, very like a loading gate... not a swing-arm, not a top-break.

valtr0n
09-08-2008, 05:15 PM
Bumping this so my thread can be merged into it...

I own...

Way too many guns to name.

On the topic of the AK-47 versus AR-15/M16/M4...

I would disagree that the AK is a more rugged gun. The milled receiver variety might be, but good luck finding one besides an Arsenal USA model, and when you do find it, have fun carrying the sucker. The AK simply has a reputation as a more rugged gun. As far as the "complex" M16/M4, I can field-strip and clean one in less than a few minutes, and reassemble. The firing pin is around 3 inches long, by no means tiny, and I'd say pretty difficult to lose. The M16 has a bad reputation because of some issues in the 70's, but that wasn't the fault of the gun. Even the newer, gas piston operated models are appearing to have much lower longevity than the "dirty" direct impingement version.

I've put well over 5,000 rounds through mine, with no stoppages, no failures in any way. As with all guns, even the invincible, all-mighty, indestructible fanboy favorite the AK-47, it is absolutely essential to clean and maintain your weapon. If you do not, it will fail. I do not care what make it is, I do not care how good you think it is. This is specifically geared towards more combat oriented, personal protection firearms. I've seen a lot of .22's and old target rifles/pistols that will shoot worse if you do clean them.

On the topic of revolver versus autoloader... I overwhelmingly prefer an autoloader. I don't like Sigs, Glocks, or H&K (H&K... because you suck, and we hate you.) Sigs are overpriced unless you buy a police trade-in and even then I feel they're too chunky (and I've got huge hands), Glocks are dangerous in my opinion, and I just don't like doing business with H&K. I also don't like doing business with S&W or Ruger, because I feel they both sold gun owners out in the mid-90's. I personally think the Springfield XD is the best autoloader in the market at the moment at it's price point. They'll run through anything, they're easy to maintain, they're extremely accurate, and comfortable as all get out. They have all the benefits of the Glock, with what I think is a better grip angle, and a fully supported chamber.

I don't know why I don't like a revolver. I just don't. I like them for fun, just not for defense.

Anyway, let's talk some guns!

Any of you guys own a CZ .22?

Wuducynn
09-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Except I've known two folk who lost the receiving pin on an AR-15. No such problems with an AK.

Wuducynn
09-08-2008, 06:46 PM
As with all guns, even the invincible, all-mighty, indestructible fanboy favorite the AK-47, it is absolutely essential to clean and maintain your weapon. If you do not, it will fail. I do not care what make it is, I do not care how good you think it is.

Who exactly are you directing this little rant to? Don't you think anyone who knows anything about guns knows that? Please, I noticed this back on .Net that you tend to have the "gun guru" attitude. Please leave it back on .Net.

Wuducynn
09-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Some pictures of a private range I go to almost every weekend --

http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v311/194/106/500927460/n500927460_1206231_5677.jpg (http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1206200&id=500927460&op=1&view=all&subj=63947550511&aid=-1&oid=63947550511)

My best friend who hadn't shot a pistol in years

http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v311/194/106/500927460/n500927460_1206234_7613.jpg (http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1206232&id=500927460&op=1&view=all&subj=63947550511&aid=-1&oid=63947550511)

Range master Karl with one of his .45's

http://photos-g.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v323/194/106/500927460/n500927460_1202118_9660.jpg (http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1202117&id=500927460&op=1&view=all&subj=63947550511&aid=-1&oid=63947550511)

Bunch of guns we shot that day

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procgtaserv/47b8d631b3127cce98548a0876a600000036100Iat2LJo4bMV

Me in the blue shirt bending over for something, I can't remember what.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procgtaserv/47b8d723b3127cce98548aeb436400000046100Iat2LJo4bMV

A certain lovely lady...

cozener
09-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Does she ever shoot naked? Well...except maybe a belt with a holster and maybe fishnets?

Oh and jackboots. Can't forget jackboots...

Wuducynn
09-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Does she ever shoot naked? Well...except maybe a belt with a holster and maybe fishnets?

Oh and jackboots. Can't forget jackboots...

I'll see what I can do for you, Cozener my brother from a different mother! What about a black leather mini-skirt?

valtr0n
09-09-2008, 01:45 AM
Except I've known two folk who lost the receiving pin on an AR-15. No such problems with an AK.

Receiver pin is held in by the buttstock. There's literally no way to lose it unless you break it off, or disassemble the actual buffer tube in the field (which no one would do.)

Perhaps you mean the firing pin retaining pin (http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Firing_Pin_p/bc1005.htm)?

And don't try and start a fight about a perceived slight. There's no need to be a jerk unless you really just want to be.

what
09-09-2008, 02:20 AM
First off ... I have not read the entire thread... but on the topic of the ak... I believe it was the loose tolerances on the receiver machining that makes it a "favorite" in the sand... it can get "full of sand" and still function properly... not as accurate as the m16 or whathaveyou....

After owning 2 Taurus pistols I am a fan. I currently have a Taurus millennium .40, Baretta .25, Remington 1800 and a Chinese sks

Wuducynn
09-09-2008, 05:48 AM
Receiver pin is held in by the buttstock. There's literally no way to lose it unless you break it off, or disassemble the actual buffer tube in the field (which no one would do.)

Perhaps you mean the firing pin retaining pin (http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Firing_Pin_p/bc1005.htm)?

And don't try and start a fight about a perceived slight. There's no need to be a jerk unless you really just want to be.

That's right, the firing pin. Valtron, you were coming off as preachy and a know-it-all. It's okay. You're a gun expert, thats great. You might want to adjust the tone as to not come off as one so much is all I'm saying.

Wuducynn
09-09-2008, 05:50 AM
I currently have a Taurus millennium .40

Is this the one that is a Beretta knock-off? Because I've heard great things about it.

what
09-09-2008, 09:02 AM
Not sure about the Beretta knock off but I absolutely love this gun Link (http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=36&category=Pistol) Although i don't have a "pro" model :nope:

On a side note.. I noticed the comment about note liking Glock.... I had a 9mm Glock and Keltec... would much rather kept the Keltec and sold the Glock...

Wuducynn
09-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Well, there is a Taurus model that is a knock-off of the Beretta..maybe it's the PT99? Anyway, I've heard several folk I've spoken with say they had shot both and they didn't notice a quality difference.

valtr0n
09-09-2008, 12:14 PM
PT92/99 is the Beretta knockoff... except it's actually made on Beretta equipment that Taurus took over. I too have shot both and haven't seen a quality difference. My Taurus PT92 (the 99 has adjustable sights if I remember right) has never given me an ounce of trouble. The aftermarket magazines for it suck, but so do pretty much every other aftermarket magazine for any gun.

All_Hail, I don't think I was being preachy, just opinionated.

You've got to look at it from my perspective. With the advent of the internet, the subject of "guns" has taken on a completely different tone. Some have been given near-mythical status, such as the AK, the Desert Eagle, the Glock, and so forth. I frequent a lot of gun-specific boards, and, well, anyone who talks about AK's being the best thing ever don't tend to last long. It's become more of a "fanboy" gun than anything else. The AR-15/M16/M4 have suffered such a negative image that it's hard not to jump to the defense of them against a fanboy favorite like the AK-47. Believe me, nothing was directed towards you, it's just a matter of making fun of the stereotypical internet kid who plays too much Counterstrike.

valtr0n
09-09-2008, 12:37 PM
PT92:

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/4372/picture679ph8.th.jpg (http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture679ph8.jpg)

Jon
09-09-2008, 11:39 PM
Yeah I got the impression it was too fast for a top break with the whole village coming after him. Who says that in his world someond didn't invent a speed loader. It's not like a speed loader is hi-tech shit. It just has to have good tolerances.

Jon
09-11-2008, 01:04 AM
This is my post WW2 Daisy bb gun, a Model 111-40 Red Ryder . It has a

Blued-steel barrel and forearm bands. Barrel band was spot welded instead of being peened. It still retaines the distinguishing prewar cast-iron cocking lever and Fixed rear sight.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff79/walterodim_photos/bb.jpg

Ok...I'm just yankin' yer chain. (insert joke here ,All Hail)

lead dealer
10-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Fellow Dark tower gun junkies

Keep the model 10 for a house gun, with a revolver you can leave it loaded and forget about it. They are low maintance and easy to aim in a panic situation. There are a lot of nasty loads out there for a 38 special. It is a good round, Cops were carying is since 1906 untill the advent of the "wonder nines" in the 1980's
A carry gun, avoid the micro uzi, they are uncontrolable in any situation other than the shortest of bursts. Light weight hi capacity gun with an insane (700-900 rounds a minute) rate of fire. I could hardly hit a damm thing and I am a "professional"!!
Also avoid the 9mm, even in the nastyest of loadings they still only leave a 9mm hole. the round in its nasyest form (federal hydroshock/ speer gold dot) takes 18 to 24 inches of tissue to expand, your avrage person is not that thick!!! unless you plan on shooting at fat men in leather overcoats leave the 9MM at home. The 40s&w is a better choice for defence.
I would also avoid the pre walther Smith and Wesson semi- autos. I have had many of them in my shop for various malidies... I personaly recomend the p99/sw99 series. I carry one in .40. Alas they are expencive, but how mutch is your life worth?
Ammo: don't go cheap!! The best gun in the world (I think it is a 1911 in .45acp) is only as good as what it is fed.
A good "hard caliber" is one that begins with a "4"

:shoot::shoot:

lead dealer
10-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Rolands gun was a double action swing cylender, had to be.

like a colt new service.

I have had first production akm's shot at me that looked like they had not been serviced since stalin was alive. they worked....

But as me typeing this proves, the gun is only as good as it's operator.

had to tripple tap him with my m-4 to get the job done. My kingdom for an m-14. I can handle the weight vs the knockdown issue.

"I kill with my heart"