PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King Manuscripts

Pasiuk57
09-18-2009, 03:47 AM
How about a lists of Stephen King Manuscripts that are "out" there:

I can start with what I have so far:

Shock Rock-ALL original manuscripts from every author who had stories in the book

Misery Manuscript
Horror Plum'd
Lunch at the Gotham Cafe
Dreamcatcher
Bag of Bones 2 copies
The Regulators
Green Mile #1 Two Dead Girls unsigned
Green Mile #1 Two Dead Girls signed by King
Tommyknockers
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

I'm sure there are a ton more out there but.....

carlosdetweiller
09-18-2009, 03:57 AM
Are you talking about original manuscripts or just photocopies?

jhanic
09-18-2009, 04:44 AM
I have the following (probably all photocopies):

Green Mile 1 (loose pages stapled)
Green Mile 1 (Contest manuscript signed)
Green Mile 2 (loose pages stapled)
Green Mile 3 (loose pages stapled
Bag of Bones (Bound manscript-"Second Draft")
Storm of the Century (Bound manuscript)
Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (Bound manuscript)
Black House ( UK loose pages, missing page 1)
Duma Key (loose pages with original of King's secretary's sticky note to publisher)

And:

Pet Semetary (first state proof bound with trade cover)
Misery (spiral bound - BOMC)
Tommyknockers (two volumes spiral bound - BOMC)

John

Bev Vincent
09-18-2009, 05:06 AM
I have Bag of Bones (first draft), Wolves of the Calla (first and second drafts), Song of Susannah (first and second drafts), The Dark Tower (first draft), The Tommyknockers (first draft), Black House (first 175 pages of first draft), Cell (first draft). Possibly some others--I haven't looked at them in a while. Also some of the "bound" ones, such as the Pet Sematary proof.

I doubt there are many "original" manuscripts out there -- i.e. straight off the printer or the typewriter. Most have passed by the photocopier at least once.

mae
09-18-2009, 06:12 AM
How do these ever get out there? Having seen The Cannibals, I'd love to read more of King's manuscripts, warts and all. Fascinating.

carlosdetweiller
09-18-2009, 06:19 AM
I doubt there are many "original" manuscripts out there -- i.e. straight off the printer or the typewriter. Most have passed by the photocopier at least once.

There is some original manuscript material out there but the advent of the word processor has made collecting it rather murky.

If you have original typescript or a carbon copy it is great. If it is off a printer you need some verification of provenance that it is the original and not a later print or a photocopy.

Barry Levin discusses the hazards of manuscript collecting in today's world in this essay on his website:

http://www.raresf.com/bnews.html#collect

jhanic
09-18-2009, 06:23 AM
Thanks, Bob. Very enlightening!

John

Bev Vincent
09-18-2009, 06:52 AM
Among the material in The Stephen King Illustrated Companion is a note from King admonishing his editor to be careful with a manuscript because it's the only copy in existence!

I heard a story, too, about one of his manuscripts getting lost temporarily. I was told it was The Stand, but I've heard other versions of the story where it was The Dead Zone. He was traveling with it as checked luggage and another passenger picked up his bag by mistake at the carousel!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-18-2009, 06:52 AM
Here is a copy of an original manuscript... totally worthless.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/563/can.jpg

Pasiuk57
09-18-2009, 06:55 AM
I had an original manuscript for 6 Stories RIGHT off King's typewrite but it sold this week.....very rare indeed....

The Shock Rock is ALL of the original manuscripts from individual people. Pretty funny as they---each individual story-- are all different--different pages, typesets, colors-pretty nice set...
It's interesting to see what others have!

mae
09-18-2009, 07:08 AM

Because it's just a printout of the PDF, right?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-18-2009, 07:35 AM

Because it's just a printout of the PDF, right?

Yes, as all COPIES of manuscripts basically are. Copies.

herbertwest
09-18-2009, 07:53 AM
I had an original manuscript for 6 Stories RIGHT off King's typewrite but it sold this week.....very rare indeed....

what was it?

Ari_Racing
09-18-2009, 04:02 PM

Are you joking, right?

I heard a story, too, about one of his manuscripts getting lost temporarily. I was told it was The Stand, but I've heard other versions of the story where it was The Dead Zone. He was traveling with it as checked luggage and another passenger picked up his bag by mistake at the carousel!

Wasn't that Insomnia? I read it somewhere if I'm not wrong...

Bev Vincent
09-19-2009, 07:26 AM
No, the story took place long before Insomnia was written.

Patrick
09-19-2009, 10:06 PM

Are you joking, right?

It think he was being sarcastic and making a point.

Randall Flagg
08-12-2011, 05:27 PM
In the age of high speed and high resolution copiers, is this thread dead?
I was thinking of archiving it. Thought?

jhanic
08-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Actually, I had forgotten about this thread. I've gotten some additional manuscripts (or copies) since my first posting. One I'm pretty sure is a "genuine" manuscript is that of Duma Key. It has a sticky note attached from Marsha addressed to a publisher. I don't want to divulge any further details because I'm sure the publisher doesn't want it known that it's in circulation.

I also got that copy of the Bag of Bones manuscript off eBay a bit ago. I'm sure it's a copy, though.

I also have copies of two versions of Cycle of the Werewolf--one with hand-written corrections and the other with those corrections incorporated into the text. I'm also sure these are copies.

John

Ben Mears
08-13-2011, 05:23 AM
I think first draft manuscripts would be of the most interest/value as the reader would have an opportunity to compare/contrast with the published version.

Randall Flagg
01-21-2012, 03:42 PM
TWTTK "manuscripts" have been making the rounds....

Randall Flagg
12-13-2014, 12:57 PM
I believe a member here has TEOTD (Napkins) manuscript.

Ari_Racing
06-06-2016, 12:44 PM
Gerald has it (yeah...I'm answer 1.5 years later).

wizardsrainbow
06-06-2016, 12:48 PM
I know of a couple high end collectors that have TRUE ORIGINAL manuscripts.

Fsmdr
06-06-2016, 04:18 PM

What would you define as a 'true original' manuscript, David?

carlosdetweiller
06-06-2016, 04:27 PM

What would you define as a 'true original' manuscript, David?

Good question.

wizardsrainbow
06-06-2016, 09:27 PM
By "true", (and I am going on collectors' word alone as I have seen pictures only) are original typed (or handwritten) manuscript (or partial manuscript) of King novels.

Bev Vincent
06-07-2016, 03:24 AM
By "true", (and I am going on collectors' word alone as I have seen pictures only) are original typed (or handwritten) manuscript (or partial manuscript) of King novels.

So for typescripts that means nothing past The Talisman, pretty much. Everything beyond that point will be a computer printout, which is indistinguishable from a photocopy of a printout. For example, I have first and second draft manuscripts of DT5-7, but these are either printouts or photocopies.

carlosdetweiller
06-09-2016, 07:23 AM
In addition to the essay on Barry Levin's site regarding manuscript collecting (to which I supplied a link earlier in this thread) there is this information that was supplied by Peter Schneider some years ago specific to Stephen King manuscripts.

"Upon completion of a novel, short story, essay, etc. King would print out two copies of the manuscript: one copy would go to the publisher; the second would go to his agent. This manuscript would be the first draft of the novel or short piece. When we use the term “original copy” it refers to one of these two submitted manuscripts."

These "original copy" manuscripts are therefore the most desirable but provenance and documentation are essential as there is really no way to differentiate later copies (or copies of copies) and, because of that, they will likely never sell for near the price as original typescripts.

Just some random thoughts I have been having, especially in light of the manuscript of "The Shine" that Jon has been sharing with us.

carlosdetweiller
06-09-2016, 12:38 PM
I pulled out a couple of things that I have been thinking about since Jon's adventures with "The Shine" manuscript.

Here is an item that I got from the offices of Kirby and Kay McCauley so it fits with the "original copy" designation even though this is a photocopy and not a computer printout. It is an earlier state from the finished book. 1147 pages loose, not bound. There are at least two distinct fonts and several different paper types. Almost every page has hand corrections (photocopied, not original) The dedication is very different from what was published in the book and, I suspect, there are many textual differences throughout the book as well. I do not have the patience that Jon displayed with "The Shine" to go through this huge stack and find them all though.

I think it is hard to put a value on stuff like this. Yes, it is just a stack of photocopies. But there is provenance of the item coming directly from King's agent along with a statement that no further copies have been made of this particular manuscript. What is the value? I haven't a clue. I do think it is extremely collectible whereas most photocopied items are not.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/itman1_zps8t8y5z20.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/itman2_zpsdhjnyvgs.jpg

I like the Lennon quote written at the top. I don't know if this made it in to the finished book or not.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/itman5_zpsb7fbu5ud.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/itman3_zpskbhyppqp.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/itman4_zpshmdkeeui.jpg

Here is another similar item. A photocopied manuscript of The Talisman. Nearly 1000 pages loose in a box. Complete with old rusty staples! Apparently Tim Underwood (of Underwood/Miller did the typesetting for the Donald Grant edition). This is the copy he used and there is provenance. What it is worth? Haven't a clue. But I only paid $4 for it.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/talman_zpsgug3zqvq.jpg

Ari_Racing
06-09-2016, 12:47 PM
Very nice!!!
Now $4....that's a steal!

carlosdetweiller
06-09-2016, 12:54 PM
On the other hand here is a manuscript of The Stand: The Complete and Uncut Edition. It is photocopied and placed (by someone) into two green binders.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/standman1_zpsdhe01qqa.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/standman2_zpsnudn4pmp.jpg

From my notes at the time of acquisition:

"One of approximately 3 photocopies of the submitted manuscript made by Peter Schneider who received the manuscript from King. According to Schneider: "I kept one, Production got one (for estimated page count and costs) and the copy editor got one." 1657 manuscript pages with corrections. This copy is presumably from the copy editor and may be a second generation copy."

On this one I have no real provenance and I suspected at the time that this was a copy of a copy. Hence I don't place any real monetary value to this one. Provenance is everything, IMO.

herbertwest
06-09-2016, 01:50 PM
Bob, did I miss something or you didnt mention the title of the book?

carlosdetweiller
06-09-2016, 01:52 PM

You are right. The manuscript from the McCauley office is IT.

peripheral
06-09-2016, 03:41 PM
This is just amazing Bob.

herbertwest
06-10-2016, 12:51 AM

You are right. The manuscript from the McCauley office is IT.

Thanks! And neat items !