PDA

View Full Version : Just a drum beat

Candice Dionysus
09-19-2007, 09:27 PM
I was working on a song in Fruity Loops and I really like this drum beat I came up with, so I wanted to share it... The songs no where near complete. I'm getting my friend Whi to help me with it, actually. But I wanted to know what you thought about my drums...

So here's the link:

http://files.filefront.com/Polyrhythm+Drums+for+Brokewav/;8596849;;/fileinfo.html

Frunobulax
09-21-2007, 04:34 PM
I listened to the drums--the word polyrhythm catches me every time (see my EP Two, bye Four for this fascination in full...8+ tracks playing all different times against each other).
My thoughts:
Not a polyrhythm at all. You merely emphasize upbeats, which is something many artists do.
The bass drum is too loud, and I listen to Peaches. The hand claps get annoying after about 15 seconds, and the frantic drums around 1'20" are actually nice in the face of the claps, but sound waaaaay too underdeveloped when solo'd. The hi-hat/cymbal run at 2'00" onwards is stereotypical techno, and the "zap bass drum" also sounds out of place. By the time you get to the end, your ears are burnt out and I'm left tired rather than energetic. I mean, don't get me wrong--there are great things about this beat, but they are far and few between and therein lies the issue. The four-to-the-floor approach of the bass drum gets repetitive as if it were a bad rave. I'd recommend music to listen to for inspiration, but I'm afraid it'd be a bad idea.

Frunobulax
09-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Oh yeah, turn the master volume way the fuck down. That shit's peaking out every meter I tested it on. END THE LOUDNESS WAR.