PDA

View Full Version : King's worst novel?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

MonteGss
03-09-2010, 11:14 PM
I had to check to make sure people weren't arguing before I got up the gumption to post here, hehe!

At any rate... Cujo, because it dragged, and the ending really made me feel like I'd wasted the effort reading it.

And The Tommyknockers. It jumped around far too much, and the second half of the book was kind of a disconnected, jumbled mess. Which was sad, because the first half of it was actually good! And I had a lot of affection for Gard.

Really, I think a book is especially disappointing when there are things you love about it, but it just doesn't pan out the way you want, or the execution just wasn't what it should have been. So as always, King has excellent ideas. They just don't always turn out on the page. Not to mention that this is all personal opinion anyway. :P

I agree with The Tommyknockers. I read it one time and never had any interest in revisiting the story since.

Cujo, meh.

Kronz
03-10-2010, 12:13 AM
I usually like even King's least popular works quite a bit, but it took extreme dedication for me to get through Tommyknockers. It's shockingly dull to me, a huge sci-fi and horror fan, also shocking that it follows so many extremely strong works. Also, I did not love Gerald's Game at all, but at least it was well focused. The Cycle of the Werewolf also irritated me but I don't think it should be counted as a novel anyway.

MonteGss
03-10-2010, 11:46 AM
I know Gerald's Game isn't too popular here either but I liked it. :)
I don't think Bag of Bones could be called popular either but I thought it was pretty cool.

thebumblerinblack
03-10-2010, 01:01 PM
I know Gerald's Game isn't too popular here either but I liked it. :)
I don't think Bag of Bones could be called popular either but I thought it was pretty cool.

I loved Gerald's Game, I thought it was one of his sickest stories, and thats a large part of what I like about his books, the sickness.

mae
03-10-2010, 02:20 PM
And of course all this discussion is moot since our 2nd Annual Constant Reader Awards will actually determine the real worst novel :excited:

For my part, though, and I think I've said this in the past, I can't name any King work his "worst". Some are better and some are worse, but I have not come across anything by King, including the many short stories, that I could say "Man that shit sucked."

MonteGss
03-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Yes, surely the most definitive answer to the question.

pathoftheturtle
03-10-2010, 02:34 PM
I don't care a damn about aliens or UFOs, but The Tommyknockers is a great human story. There are characters - something which Bag of Bones of Lisey's Story both desperately lack - and their stories deeply touched me; the novel is truly polyphonic, and that is King's most forte forte, as far as I am concerned. A lot of things, situations, little dramas, side stories included there deeply impressed me, and when we were voting the best minor character, I nominated Everett Hillman (that whole story, with the two boys and grandfather, is, to my mind, one of the best King's achievements ever).I think you're right about The Tommyknockers, (and that's not to mention Jim Gardener) but you're just plain wrong about Bag of Bones. Development is differently handled, (it's not so polyphonic) but there certainly are great characters.

Lisey's Story had some weak points, but if you're forbearing, I think it has qualities not such a far cry from The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. (And some of the weird trappings in LS, I kinda liked.)

This is a very long thread, but I'll be reading more of it, in time.

For the record, among of my own least favorite SK novels are
Insomnia
Cell
Dreamcatcher
The Regulators
Rose Madder
The Dark Half

...I can't name any King work his "worst". Some are better and some are worse, but I have not come across anything by King, including the many short stories, that I could say "Man that shit sucked."Sorry, but, well, I was nodding right along with you until you mentioned short stories... ><
That's a different discussion though, I'd think.

mae
03-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Insomnia
Cell
Dreamcatcher
The Regulators
Rose Madder
The Dark Half

:cry:

Insomnia and Rose Madder are two of my personal Top 10.

dubrosa22
03-10-2010, 05:09 PM
Gerald's Game I thought was really good - something quite different in his oeuvre - kind of akin to Cujo I thought.

Tommyknockers for me was both great and awful. I could easily love a 350 page version but couldn't possibly sit through the 700+ page version again.

The worst however for me would have to be The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon I'm not sure why. I just can't finish that little sucker not matter how many times I try... maybe it rejects me more than I reject it?! :scared:

Brice
03-10-2010, 05:15 PM
And of course all this discussion is moot since our 2nd Annual Constant Reader Awards will actually determine the real worst novel :excited:

Of course it is only accurate if it reflects MY opinions. Otherwise I'll juggle your numbers to make it look rigged. :innocent:

:P

For my part, though, and I think I've said this in the past, I can't name any King work his "worst". Some are better and some are worse, but I have not come across anything by King, including the many short stories, that I could say "Man that shit sucked."

I feel the same. I haven't met a king story I didn't love. It's sort of like when you have kids some you love more, but you (possibly begrudgingly) love them all equallyexcept you know those you love less.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-10-2010, 05:58 PM
If King had not written The Regulators, I would be inclined to agree with you Brice. However, he DID write The Regulators, and therefore, there IS a worst SK novel.

divemaster
03-10-2010, 06:46 PM
If King had not written The Regulators, I would be inclined to agree with you Brice. However, he DID write The Regulators, and therefore, there IS a worst SK novel.
Boy, ain't that the truth.

Mrs. Underwood
03-11-2010, 08:33 AM
Tommyknockers for me was both great and awful. I could easily love a 350 page version but couldn't possibly sit through the 700+ page version again.

The worst however for me would have to be The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon I'm not sure why. I just can't finish that little sucker not matter how many times I try... maybe it rejects me more than I reject it?! :scared:

I think you just pointed out a surefire way to make Tommyknockers about a hundred times better: make it more condensed. Couldn't agree more.

And I thought The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon was a little weak, too. I think... for my part... it was because I have a lot of trouble suspending disbelief for a girl who's that obsessed with baseball. I know there are girls who love sports, but I was never one of them, and the ones I knew who had a favorite sport or team, it was usually basketball and occasionally football. Never baseball. King makes a lot of his young characters lovers of baseball, and in the generation I grew up in, that was probably the least popular sport of all time. I knew kids who were more into Nascar, for crying out loud. So yeah, the baseball stuff always brings me out of the story somehow. Pet peeve.

pathoftheturtle
03-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Insomnia
Cell
Dreamcatcher
The Regulators
Rose Madder
The Dark Half

Insomnia and Rose Madder are two of my personal Top 10.:| I expected someone to say that about Insomnia, but Rose Madder I'm bit more surprised to hear.

Gerald's Game-- ...
...something quite different in his oeuvre ...Well, yes.
...kind of akin to Cujo I thought. ...Well, maybe.
... really good ...Well, no.

...The worst however for me would have to be The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon ...:o I don't know what to say... I think it's great.

I feel the same. I haven't met a king story I didn't love. It's sort of like when you have kids some you love more, but you (possibly begrudgingly) love them all equallyexcept you know those you love less.So, that's... like a duty to dishonesty?:orely:

Tommyknockers for me was both great and awful. ...

I think you just pointed out a surefire way to make Tommyknockers about a hundred times better: make it more condensed. Couldn't agree more. [I strongly agree with "both great and awful," but I really think that the great bits are in the various vignettes that would be irrelevant to a plot, if the plot were a relevant one. What's awful is inherent to the concept... therefore, I expect that merely condensing wouldn't help, would probably only reduce the good.

Ageless Stranger
03-12-2010, 02:57 PM
IT
It's on my shelf, halfway read & I can't make myself pick it back up. It's my least favorite so far, although I still have many King novels left to read.

thebumblerinblack
03-12-2010, 03:25 PM
You gotta give It another chance, Stranger. Please, for the love of all things Stephen!! If anything, just read it to see how different it is from the movie.

Ageless Stranger
03-12-2010, 03:37 PM
You gotta give It another chance, Stranger. Please, for the love of all things Stephen!! If anything, just read it to see how different it is from the movie.
I'm sure I'll finish it sometime. It's the only book on my bookshelf I haven't finished. Mashed, with gravy.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-12-2010, 07:17 PM
IT
It's on my shelf, halfway read & I can't make myself pick it back up. It's my least favorite so far, although I still have many King novels left to read.

:scared:

Jean
03-12-2010, 11:19 PM
IT

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/shocked.gif

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-12-2010, 11:27 PM
IT

:panic:

Jean
03-12-2010, 11:32 PM
No, really... It has always competed with The Stand in my heart, and has often won... I can't imagine any novel that would be better.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-12-2010, 11:54 PM
It is not only my favorite SK novel, it may be my favorite novel.....period.

Jean
03-13-2010, 12:18 AM
yes, it's definitely among my top 5, and may be top 1 of those written in English

Ageless Stranger
03-13-2010, 12:23 AM
IT

:panic:

No, really... It has always competed with The Stand in my heart, and has often won... I can't imagine any novel that would be better.

It is not only my favorite SK novel, it may be my favorite novel.....period.

yes, it's definitely among my top 5, and may be top 1 of those written in English

So I'm picking up a vibe that says you guys can't believe I don't like IT. I promise that I will finish it so I can objectively review it. But there is absolutely no freaking way, even if it turns completely around immediately, that I'll ever say it compares with The Stand. Say sorry. :unsure:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-13-2010, 12:35 AM
For me, although It is an amazingly scary horror story, what endears it to me is a sense of nostalgia, deja vu even, that pervades the entire story. Stephen King immerses the reader in the childhood experience so effectively that you almost feel like you knew the characters from your own childhood. The character development in this novel surpasses that of any SK novel (with the possible exception of the Ka-tet), and is on par with any other novel I have ever read. I have never cared so much for a group of literary characters (again with the possible exception of the Ka-tet), by the end of a novel. The comparison to the Ka-tet is not a fair one, as we have 3-4 times the volume of pages in which those characters are developed in the DT series. Each of the characters are distinct, and they stay perfectly true to their nature throughout the entire work. There evolution into adults is perfect. It is truly a masterpiece.

Kronz
03-13-2010, 07:04 AM
Flying leeches. That should be enough for anyone.

Kronz
03-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Pennywise isn't that scary really, he's not very powerful against the characters we're supposed to care about. I still think It's the best novel King has written. :)

pathoftheturtle
03-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Can we bump an It thread or somethin'? I just cannot get used to talking, on the thread for "King's worst novel," about his best novel.

Jean
03-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Right. I have copied the relevant posts to that thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=452).

Flavio
03-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Kings worst novel is "La historia de Lisey"
I could not finish it... Shame on me...

Kronz
03-16-2010, 04:29 PM
Is it really so bad? It's been on my shelf since it came out, can't bring myself to ever start it.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
03-16-2010, 04:42 PM
Just started it, it has also been on my shelf these last few years. I finally decided to tackle it so that I could bash it unreservedly on the constant readers thread coming up. I must say the cover (the book, not the DJ) is...shall we say....er.....copiously aesthetic.

Ageless Stranger
03-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Kings worst novel is "La historia de Lisey"
I could not finish it... Shame on me...

So far, you may be correct. I'm reading it now.

Is it really so bad? It's been on my shelf since it came out, can't bring myself to ever start it.

Don't bother

Just started it, it has also been on my shelf these last few years. I finally decided to tackle it so that I could bash it unreservedly on the constant readers thread coming up. I must say the cover (the book, not the DJ) is...shall we say....er.....copiously aesthetic.

I already commented on this, but yes, it's flowery, to put it mildly. ;)

Kronz
03-16-2010, 05:47 PM
I feel like I will have to read Lisey sometime, it's one of only four I've not read (Rose Madder, Duma Key, Colorado Kid are the others). So close to the end and only one of them looks particularly interesting to me.

thebumblerinblack
03-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Lisey's Story is definitely nothing to write home about, but it does have its moments, and I actually think those moments are good enough to merit a readin'. There's a really freaky chunk of the story from Scott's past involving his brother losing his mind and becoming a raving psychotic out of nowhere. And I liked the Thing with the endless piebald side, that was pretty crazy. But yeah, really not one of my favorites at all.

mae
03-17-2010, 04:39 AM
I know it gets a lot of flak around here, but Rose Madder is awesome, Kronz.

Jean
03-17-2010, 04:43 AM
it is

MonteGss
03-17-2010, 05:18 AM
I tried to read Rose Madder twice. I really thought I was going to get through it the second time a few months back. I couldn't again. I don't think it's very good.

mae
03-17-2010, 06:32 AM
Weird. It gripped me from the first page. It's non-stop relentless.

MonteGss
03-17-2010, 06:47 AM
Hmm. Well, it's not the first time I was in a minority opinion. :lol: Yeah, Rose Madder is gawd-awful.

The book I get the most grief about is another that I tried to read twice...though I actually succeeded with this one the second time: Insomnia. Bad, boring. :)

mae
03-17-2010, 07:23 AM

MonteGss
03-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Yeah, yeah, I've heard and seen it all before. :lol:
:grouphug:

Kronz
03-17-2010, 07:31 AM
I remember enjoying Insomnia, but feeling like it was more work than the usual King book. Almost like doing homework in a subject one's fond of, maybe.

As for Rose Madder, I am determined that the third time I pick it up, I will get to the end! I was actually on the library waiting list for Rose Madder and got it checked out right as it was new more or less. But I never got more than 100p into it because of the bleak bleak bleak relationship/abuse stuff. The pages of King books dealing with spousal abuse tend to horrify and revolt me more than anything else he can write. I have a hard enough time suffering through chapters in It about Tom beating up Beverly, so a novel on the subject seems like it will make me feel really bad.

Jean
03-17-2010, 07:35 AM
Now see this: http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_angry.gif!

(though on second thoughts I think you've seen that, too...)

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gif

pathoftheturtle
03-17-2010, 07:41 AM
Hmm. Well, it's not the first time I was in a minority opinion. :lol: Yeah, Rose Madder is gawd-awful.

The book I get the most grief about is another that I tried to read twice...though I actually succeeded with this one the second time: Insomnia. Bad, boring. :):couple: Yuck and yeck.

MonteGss
03-17-2010, 08:18 AM
Now see this: http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_angry.gif!

(though on second thoughts I think you've seen that, too...)

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearheart.gif

Ha! I'm not sure I have! I stand corrected. :D

I've mentioned this in another thread but King's short stories are on my "yuck" list so much that I still have not made it through Nightmares and Dreamscapes...ever! There are not very many stories in his collections that "grab me." :(

thebumblerinblack
03-17-2010, 08:36 AM
I've mentioned this in another thread but King's short stories are on my "yuck" list so much that I still have not made it through Nightmares and Dreamscapes...ever! There are not very many stories in his collections that "grab me." :(

Wow, man:scared:. N&D was the first King I ever read all the way through (the first my parents ever let me get, I was in the sixth grade), and it has some excellent stories in it...Popsy, Crouch End, Rainy Season, and Suffer the Little Children, just to name a few good ones...at least read those ones. Even The Moving Finger is pretty good, not as great as the others I mentioned (I remember my sixth grade self being completely grossed out by that one).

divemaster
03-17-2010, 08:36 AM

The book I get the most grief about is another that I tried to read twice...though I actually succeeded with this one the second time: Insomnia. Bad, boring. :)

I thought Rose Madder was good; hooked me anyway. But I agree 100% about Insomnia. Actively disliked that one.

Jean
03-17-2010, 09:11 AM
N&D was the first King I ever read all the way through (the first my parents ever let me get, I was in the sixth grade), and it has some excellent stories in it...Popsy, Crouch End, Rainy Season, and Suffer the Little Children, just to name a few good ones...at least read those ones.
wow, you've listed all my favorites from that collection! I didn't even know anyone else liked Popsy as much as I do - it's in my top five King short stories! So is Crouch End, of course, but, mercifully, it's a long short story (the longest there is, I think - longer ones, like Flexible Bullet, already qualify as novellas), and with King it's usually the longer the better (well, Lisey's Story excluding...)

thebumblerinblack
03-17-2010, 09:38 AM
N&D was the first King I ever read all the way through (the first my parents ever let me get, I was in the sixth grade), and it has some excellent stories in it...Popsy, Crouch End, Rainy Season, and Suffer the Little Children, just to name a few good ones...at least read those ones.
wow, you've listed all my favorites from that collection! I didn't even know anyone else liked Popsy as much as I do - it's in my top five King short stories! So is Crouch End, of course, but, mercifully, it's a long short story (the longest there is, I think - longer ones, like Flexible Bullet, already qualify as novellas), and with King it's usually the longer the better (well, Lisey's Story excluding...)

Definitely. Popsy is great, I remember thinking how cool it was that the ninja turtles were mentioned when I first read it. Ahhh...the simple days.

Brice
03-17-2010, 09:43 AM
I love Popsy and the comic version of it too.

thebumblerinblack
03-17-2010, 10:12 AM
A comic version?!! Damn, I gotta find that.

Brice
03-17-2010, 10:14 AM
J.N. Williamson's Masques II ;)

JRM
05-03-2010, 02:32 AM
I'm shocked and horrified that people actually consider Bag of Bones to be among Stephen King's worst novels! That book made me a fan! In fact, it's the only Stephen King novel I love from start to finish; I have no problems with it at all.

Anyway, I'd like to share my worst list. In fact, since I'm pretty much a new SK fan, I'll just list the novels I've read of his from least favorite to absolute favorite:

---------------------------------------------------
[Worst]

Dreamcatcher (Oh my lord. I don't know how I managed to finish this book. Must have been through divine intervention. Unlike Insomnia, which bored me to sleep at times, Dreamcatcher flat-out frustrated me. I liked how it began and I enjoyed the flashback scenes, but once the military showed up it was all down hill from there)

Dolores Claiborne (I didn't like the narrative and the story just didn't do it for me. I also found Dolores to be very annoying. Lol. Thankfully it was a short read)

Carrie (Felt very amateurish. Didn't really captivate me. Again, thankfully it was a short read)

Cell (I always struggle to find my honest feelings when it comes to this one. I liked parts of it -- especially the beginning -- but once Clay and friends travel to that school, it took a turn for the worst. All that psychic stuff made it worse)

------------------------------------------------------------
[Good]

Gerald's Game (I don't get the hate for this book. I found it to be a very disturbingly affective psychological thriller. And it was the perfect length. Wasn't spectacular, but definitely one that held my attention)

The Dead Zone (Overall enjoyable. Didn't leave me with no lasting impression, however.)

The Eyes of the Dragon (Really liked it and I love how it was a brisk read and something most people could get into, but, like Dead Zone, it wasn't as memorable as I thought it would be)

Under the Dome (There were so many things about this book I didn't like and a part of me wants to take it down a notch or two, but there were many other things about it I enjoyed, and I liked the concept. I just won't be re-reading it anytime soon)

Insomnia (I'll admit I fell asleep many times when I read this book, but while it did bore me in parts -- particularly the beginning -- it left me with a lasting impression when I finished it; I felt as if I read something special, and I've slowly come to realize it's a great book. I think another reason why I may have not liked it in the beginning is because it was the second Stephen King book I read, right after Bag of Bones, and I was expecting another story similar to Bag of Bones, which I LOVED)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Favorites]

Pet Sematary (Loved it from start to almost finish. Lol. I only disliked the silly climax and ending)

Duma Key (Loved how similar it was to Bag of Bones, and not just in its narrative. It had a very similar feel throughout -- I even had a bit of deja vu, which I welcomed. Only disliked the climax -- no surprise, lol -- and ending. Didn't feel complete to me.)

Desperation (I love how different it was from the other Stephen King books I read. I admit it was a bit over-the-top at times, but it was an overall very thrilling read)

IT (If it weren't for the kiddy kiddy bang bang and the disappointing and underwhelming climax, it would have been perfect. Very disturbing and emotional throughout -- well, until the child banging and eh climax)

Bag of Bones (There wasn't one thing -- not one thing -- I disliked about this novel. It was thoroughly riveting and beautifully told. I even got almost teary eyed a bit at one point. Since I've finished it, I've recommended it to so many people, and each of them have loved it)

------------------------------------------------

So, yeah, Dreamcatcher's the worst I've read. Sorry for my rambling. :cool:

John Blaze
05-03-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm intrigued; I don't see The Stand in your list. I agree with most of your post though, except for Carrie, which is in my Top 3. It might have felt amateurish, but it had raw power to draw you in and make you want to finish it. Also, I liked Dreamcatcher, but I didn't love it. I'd have put it in Good. Commander of Blue Company made the book, in my opinion.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-03-2010, 08:49 PM
I think he just hasn't read the Stand. He should stop what he is doing right now and start reading the Stand.

John Blaze
05-03-2010, 08:59 PM
agreed.

John_and_Yoko
05-03-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm shocked and horrified that people actually consider Bag of Bones to be among Stephen King's worst novels! That book made me a fan! In fact, it's the only Stephen King novel I love from start to finish; I have no problems with it at all.

I'm very happy for you, because I WANTED to love Bag of Bones as much as you seem to, but somehow...it didn't do it for me. :(

But I am glad you liked IT and Insomnia, as those are my second- and third-favorite Stephen King works, respectively. (The first needs no introduction.)

pathoftheturtle
05-04-2010, 07:04 AM
...:couple: I couldn't agree more. BoB is totally underappreciated.
I still haven't read Under the Dome, but of all other non-TDT SK novels, my top 5 are --

It
The Stand
Black House
Desperation
Bag of Bones

[Worst]

Dreamcatcher (Oh my lord. I don't know how I managed to finish this book. Must have been through divine intervention. Unlike Insomnia, which bored me to sleep at times, Dreamcatcher flat-out frustrated me. I liked how it began and I enjoyed the flashback scenes, but once the military showed up it was all down hill from there) ... yeah, Dreamcatcher's the worst I've read. Sorry for my rambling. :cool:I'm with you there, too. I might put it ahead of a few others, like Rose Madder, but still... http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s12/POTT2007/smileys/smiley-yuck.gif
(And no need to apologize for "rambling," BTW. That's a good post. :) )

...Dolores Claiborne (I didn't like the narrative and the story just didn't do it for me. I also found Dolores to be very annoying. Lol. Thankfully it was a short read) ...:o :nope: I loved that book, and that character.
------------------------------------------------------------
[Good]

Gerald's Game (I don't get the hate for this book. ...:rolleyes: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=10294

...Pet Sematary (Loved it from start to almost finish. Lol. I only disliked the silly climax and ending)...:o You found that "silly" ?! :wtf: You're talking about the novel, right? Not the cheesed out movie? :orely: ... :wtf:

Jean
05-04-2010, 07:59 AM
I still haven't read Under the Dome, but of all other non-TDT SK novels, my top 5 are --

It
The Stand
Black House
Desperation
Bag of Bones
bears can't stop marveling at that list... four items the same as on bears' list! four! I don't think any two Top Five lists in our site coincide to that extent.

(now, if only you replaced BoB with Duma Key...)

disel24
05-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Worst King book as far as I'm concerned is Under the Dome, period. lol

JRM
05-04-2010, 10:49 AM
I think he just hasn't read the Stand. He should stop what he is doing right now and start reading the Stand.

That's correct, I haven't read it yet. I hear it's his best book so I'm trying to get my hands on it. I'm a little weird, though: I don't like checking out Stephen King novels from the library -- I like to buy them before I read them (hardback is preferred). And I can't find a good deal on The Stand right now. I'm going to read all the Stephen King books I have left (around 15 more), then, if I still haven't found a great deal on the book, I'll just buy it with the best deal I could find.

I'm with you there, too. I might put it ahead of a few others, like Rose Madder, but still... http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s12/POTT2007/smileys/smiley-yuck.gif
(And no need to apologize for "rambling," BTW. That's a good post. :) )

I have Rose Madder in my collection, but a friend of mine read it -- or tried -- and said he didn't like it either (He's an even newer fan than I, btw). I'm holding out on that one. It'll probably be among the last Stephen King books I read.

:o :nope: I loved that book, and that character.

Sorry. :blush: I didn't dig it.

:rolleyes: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=10294

I was going by what I read in this thread -- I read the WHOLE thing before I posted here. :rofl: And a whole lotta people claimed it the worst, or among the worst.

:o You found that "silly" ?! :wtf: You're talking about the novel, right? Not the cheesed out movie? :orely: ... :wtf:

"I haven't seen the movie, actually. Lol. But what I meant by silly: The reanimated corpse of the kid going on a killing rampage. I knew it was going to happen once Louis succeeded in burying his son in the Pet Sematary, but it came across really cheesy, mostly due to the lines that came out of the kid's mouth."

"And the ending with Louis' dead wife coming in and putting an arm around him was a bit too much of a Hollywood film ending for me. An interesting thing about that, my friend finished Pet Sematary as well, but he doesn't remember that ending. He got up to the part when Louis had his wife draped in the white blanket and was heading up the path saying things like, "I will do it right this time." (paraphrasing) Then it just ended. I'm guessing there were two endings to this book? One the original ending (the one I read) and one the revised (the one he read)? I actually prefer his ending."

I'm very happy for you, because I WANTED to love Bag of Bones as much as you seem to, but somehow...it didn't do it for me. :(

But I am glad you liked IT and Insomnia, as those are my second- and third-favorite Stephen King works, respectively. (The first needs no introduction.)

Yeah, opinions will always differ. I'm honestly not so sure why Bag of Bones resonated so much within me. It made a big enough impact to get me reading a whole lot more Stephen King, so I'm not even going to try and analyze the reasons why. :lol:

But IT was awesome! Right from the start. I could have done without certain parts -- pretty sure you know which parts I'm implying -- but it was an overall fantastic book. And Insomnia, while I wasn't fond of it at first, has really grown on me like no other.

pathoftheturtle
05-04-2010, 01:32 PM
"And the ending with Louis' dead wife coming in and putting an arm around him was a bit too much of a Hollywood film ending for me. An interesting thing about that, my friend finished Pet Sematary as well, but he doesn't remember that ending. He got up to the part when Louis had his wife draped in the white blanket and was heading up the path saying things like, "I will do it right this time." (paraphrasing) Then it just ended. I'm guessing there were two endings to this book? One the original ending (the one I read) and one the revised (the one he read)? I actually prefer his ending.":scared::unsure::borg: :pullhair::wtf: There's only one, and most folken I've talked to literally use the word unforgettable. Basically as far opposite of Hollywood as you can get. Srsly, I love it.

JRM
05-04-2010, 02:27 PM
:scared::unsure::borg: :pullhair::wtf: There's only one, and most folken I've talked to literally use the word unforgettable. Basically as far opposite of Hollywood as you can get. Srsly, I love it.

Maybe he was missing pages? :wtf: Strange. I did love the book, though -- it's among my absolute favorites -- I just didn't like those parts I mentioned. LOVED the buildup to it, though. It disturbed me. :ninja:

Anyway, Pet Sematary >>>> Dreamcatcher, imo. I haven't read a bunch of other novels people here claim to be the "worst" (Rose Madder, The Tommyknockers, etc.), but I own most. I'll be sure to read most of these last.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-04-2010, 03:26 PM
I felt like the end of Pet Sematary was the only ending that fit. If you look at the book as a traditional tragedy, the ending to the book is the only one that makes since. In fact, it is 1 of only 3 or 4 King endings that I am completely satisfied with.

Ricky
05-04-2010, 03:54 PM
I love Popsy and the comic version of it too.

The Popsy comic is hilarious. :lol:

pathoftheturtle
05-05-2010, 12:14 PM
1. I felt like the end of Pet Sematary was the only ending that fit.
2. If you look at the book as a traditional tragedy, the ending to the book is the only one that makes since.
3. In fact, it is 1 of only 3 or 4 King endings that I am completely satisfied with.1. I agree 100%.
2. Well, I don't know... I don't look at it exactly that way...
3. I agree 100%.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-05-2010, 09:14 PM
In a tragedy, the character's fatal flaw (in this case I think it is selfishness) must lead to that character's demise. And everyone should see it coming but that character himself. i.e the audience is screaming "No, no, don't do it dumbass!!" From this aspect, while there might have been some alternate endings that would make sense, I think that this one is perfect.

pathoftheturtle
05-06-2010, 09:00 AM
...the character's fatal flaw (in this case I think it is selfishness) ...See, I'm not so sure about that. After all; It was Rachel, not Louis, that was in denial.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Well, in fairness, motives are sometimes fuzzy. I don't know if selfishness is a great description of Louis's fatal flaw. Maybe a better one would be one would be altruism, which is oddly the opposite of altruism, but follow me on this one...

Louis feels guilt because he could not save Pascow, this plants the seed for Louis's need to fix everything else throughout the novel.
He tries to fix Church for Ellie.
He tries to fix Mrs. Crandall for Jud.
He tries to fix Gage for Rachel and Ellie.
Then after all of this has failed, and his altruism has lead him down the path of destruction, he commits the selfish act that ultimately leads to his demise..
He tries to fix Rachel for himself.

Now, back on topic.....sorry Jean......King's worst novel is Regulators.

pathoftheturtle
05-07-2010, 11:22 AM
...back on topic.....sorry Jean......King's worst novel is Regulators.(kk, I'm moving this to a Pet Semetary thread.)
The Regulators stinks, but it does have a few redeeming features. All in all, his worst IMHO is probably The Dark Half.

NicNac
05-12-2010, 02:10 PM
I haven't read the WHOLE thread, but I've read a lot of it!

My faves:
The Stand
It--I have to reread this one probably the most frequently of SK novels, just b/c I need to visit those characters again
Tommyknockers--I can't believe this landed on some peoples "Worst" list!! I love it.
From a Buick 8--I know, not a very popular book of his, but I think it's some of his best storytelling...the way he makes me so damn afraid of the car and what's in it, how he manages to SCARE me with something indescribable...wonderfully done. But, it has been many a year since I actually read it.

Worst:
Cell--liked the premise, enjoyed the beginning, but find it pretty unremarkable overall
Regulators--I'm putting it here slightly unfairly. I haven't read it. But I've TRIED to read it several times, and just can't get through it!

Honorable mentions:
Lisey's Story--I liked this book, but it was way harder to get into than I think it should have been. Definitely harder for me to really get into than any other SK book I've read.
The Long Walk--This didn't quite make the "best" list for me, but I do love the story. I think I'm in love with the premise more than anything else.
Under the Dome--A bit of a disappointment for me. I definitely enjoyed reading it, but I wanted it to leave me with an IMPACT like The Stand and It did, and I felt like it fell short of that.

John Blaze
05-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Worst:
Cell
:D

whiskey
05-16-2010, 07:14 AM
Long thread, cool thread.

I'm sure it's been mentioned previously, but Lisey's Story was effing terrible. The baby talking guy really really put me off. I understand why he did it, but it still annoyed the bejeezus out of me. Plus the bad guy in the book wasn't really all that scary. I realize he was almost an afterthought to the main story, but still, he was lame, and a terrible 'villain'.

But worse, was From a Buick 8.

A story about a car that just..........sits there, and, well, it looks SINISTER! It doesn't really DO anything. It just..........sits there. Now and then it'll throw off some creepy soundless purple lightning, and weird creatures come out of the trunk that can't survive in our atmosphere, but other than that, not a lot happens.

I know that the stories are metaphorical, and there's more going on beneath what we're reading. I get that. But these 2 books were just plain boring/lame/uninteresting, and getting myself to understand the deeper meaning of what the author is trying to say just doesn't resonate when the tale that's used as the vehicle for the metaphor is just craptastic.

NicNac
05-16-2010, 12:47 PM
Hey Whiskey, welcome!

I liked Lisey's story, though I don't think it's among his best. Like someone else mentioned, I think the storyline about the dad and brother was the best part!

I also like From a Buick 8...mainly b/c, yeah, when you put it THAT way, it doesn't sound scary, but when I read how SK WROTE it...I was like, wtf, how does he manage to scare me just by talking about this car?!?

whiskey
05-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Hey Whiskey, welcome!

I liked Lisey's story, though I don't think it's among his best. Like someone else mentioned, I think the storyline about the dad and brother was the best part!

I also like From a Buick 8...mainly b/c, yeah, when you put it THAT way, it doesn't sound scary, but when I read how SK WROTE it...I was like, wtf, how does he manage to scare me just by talking about this car?!?

Lisye's Story had some redeeming parts to it, like you said, the dad and brother storyline, but the flashback from within a flashback stuff got, well, ridiculous.

pathoftheturtle
05-17-2010, 12:24 PM

I'm sure it's been mentioned previously, but Lisey's Story was effing terrible. The baby talking guy really really put me off. I understand why he did it, but it still annoyed the bejeezus out of me. Plus the bad guy in the book wasn't really all that scary. I realize he was almost an afterthought to the main story, but still, he was lame, and a terrible 'villain'.

A story about a car that just..........sits there, and, well, it looks SINISTER! It doesn't really DO anything. It just..........sits there. Now and then it'll throw off some creepy soundless purple lightning, and weird creatures come out of the trunk that can't survive in our atmosphere, but other than that, not a lot happens.

I know that the stories are metaphorical, and there's more going on beneath what we're reading. I get that. But these 2 books were just plain boring/lame/uninteresting, and getting myself to understand the deeper meaning of what the author is trying to say just doesn't resonate when the tale that's used as the vehicle for the metaphor is just craptastic.Please notice this argument, all you fellows who much liked From A Buick 8 but never hesitate at all to put down Lisey's Story.

NicNac
05-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Please notice this argument, all you fellows who much liked From A Buick 8 but never hesitate at all to put down Lisey's Story.

Yeah, but that car that sat there was SCARY!

Dagavidiab
05-18-2010, 06:09 AM

I know that the stories are metaphorical, and there's more going on beneath what we're reading. I get that. But these 2 books were just plain boring/lame/uninteresting, and getting myself to understand the deeper meaning of what the author is trying to say just doesn't resonate when the tale that's used as the vehicle for the metaphor is just craptastic.

Use the Spoiler tagg please

Tito_Villa
05-18-2010, 06:39 AM
I have to say that i really like both Lisey's Story and From a Buick 8!

pathoftheturtle
05-19-2010, 06:25 AM

Use the Spoiler tagg pleaseYes, please, folken, do try to be considerate. Fortunately, Dagavidiab, while that may have spoiled a bit of what does not happen, some interesting things DO happen in that book which haven't been discussed here at all. I hope you'll still enjoy it whenever you happen to get around to it. :)

Dagavidiab
05-19-2010, 08:46 AM

Use the Spoiler tagg pleaseYes, please, folken, do try to be considerate. Fortunately, Dagavidiab, while that may have spoiled a bit of what does not happen, some interesting things DO happen in that book which haven't been discussed here at all. I hope you'll still enjoy it whenever you happen to get around to it. :)

I will continue reading it no matters who spoils me what!!, hehehe

cody44
05-21-2010, 06:16 AM
My least favorite would be Cujo. It's not a bad book, it's just not King's best. I still have a few of the so called "bad books" to read through.

woodpryan
05-25-2010, 03:15 AM
"From a Buick 8"
Oh, man, I couldn't stand that one. I finished it, but only because I kept thinking it had to get better. The worst thing I ever read from him.

Ruthful
05-25-2010, 12:03 PM
My least favorite would be Cujo. It's not a bad book, it's just not King's best. I still have a few of the so called "bad books" to read through.

No, Cujo is a bad book. A very, very bad book.

It's amazing to think it's his second-shortest novel, because I felt like it would never end when I was reading it.

pathoftheturtle
05-25-2010, 12:21 PM
...it's just not King's best. ...Yeah, I'd agree with that. Still can't rank it with his "bad books" either, however. IMHO, of course.

Numerous superficial flaws, but I found it deep.

Encyclopedia
06-11-2010, 05:31 AM
The Eyes of the Dragon or Gerald's Game. Gerald's Game is probably the only one I've read once and never plan to read again.

mae
06-11-2010, 06:53 AM
Cujo, really? I loved it! Very intense.

Jack Torrance
06-11-2010, 02:24 PM
I vote "Cell" it bored me to death. It just feels to me that the whole undead (Zombie) angles have been used to much in books and movies. I know some people with disagree but to me it has just be used too much.

WeDealInLead
06-11-2010, 03:09 PM
Rage and Roadwork. I seriously wanted to somehow magically transport myself into that classroom and shoot that spoiled brat (the main character) in Rage. OMG, such angst!

Carrie didn't do anything for me either.

Brice
06-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Wait! You mean Charlie wasn't the hero in that story? :unsure:

cody44
06-11-2010, 04:27 PM
I actually didn't think Carrie was bad. I really enjoyed the last 80 or so pages.

WeDealInLead
06-11-2010, 07:08 PM
There were some good moments but compared to 'Salem's Lot it seems like it was a different writter. Writting and style seemed a lot more mature in 'SL and that was his next book. Maybe because he realized he didn't need to try so hard.

haunted.lunchbox
11-20-2010, 07:01 PM
I would have to say his worse book would be.... Duma Key. I also did not like Under the Dome and The Cell (great premise with poor execution).

kluker
11-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Don't know if these count as Novel's or not but:

1.From a Buick 8 just cause I found it boring and kinda pointless.
2.Different Seasons-to much going on in it.
3.Full Dark, No stars- Only some was good.

WeDealInLead
12-20-2010, 01:48 PM
I understand what people are saying about From a Buick 8. I liked it for its references to other books but yeah, not much happens. I finished it in 2 days so it was a easy enough read. I think that might have been a problem with it. Too plain.

I'm currently reading Gerald's Game. Page 50 and I misplaced the book. I have no clue where I put it. I'm in no rush to find it either.

haunted.lunchbox
12-20-2010, 01:50 PM
I understand what people are saying about From a Buick 8. I liked it for its references to other books but yeah, not much happens. I finished it in 2 days so it was a easy enough read. I think that might have been a problem with it. Too plain.

I'm currently reading Gerald's Game. Page 50 and I misplaced the book. I have no clue where I put it. I'm in no rush to find it either.

Gerald's Game was very enjoyable to me. I like books that can successfully put a character in a desperate situation and make you feel the stress of it. The ending was luke warm though.

WeDealInLead
12-20-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm sure I'll read it eventually. I was a on a roll, I read The Green Mile, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, From a Buick 8 and started Gerald's Game. All this from 12/1 to 12/17. Gerald's Game killed the mood. I don't know, maybe it gets better, I'm only on page 50.

haunted.lunchbox
12-20-2010, 02:00 PM
The beginning half of the book is actually the best....

WeDealInLead
12-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Oh man... where's the smiley face that's blowing his brains out when you need him?

Seneschal
12-21-2010, 05:09 AM
The Regulators was pretty damn cheesy. I liked Desperation, but Regulators novel stretched the concept a little too far. some of the things conjured up were just too ridiculous to be even remotely scary or tense, and i found myself not really sharing the plight of the characters at all. it was like a 12 year old kid's nightmare.

someone else mentioned in this thread that the "power rangers on acid" really bothered him. i completely agree. so check this out:

Mighty Morphing Power Rangers debut: 1993
Regulators release: 1996

I don't find this to be coincidence.

haunted.lunchbox
12-21-2010, 07:29 AM
I can barely remember reading the Regulators, but I do remember that I really liked it a lot. I have nothing to base this on though.

Seneschal
12-21-2010, 08:49 AM
I can barely remember reading the Regulators, but I do remember that I really liked it a lot. I have nothing to base this on though.

did u read Desperation too? i mean, there's a chance you really did like Regulators, but the two stories are about the same entity and Desperation was miles ahead better. at least, in my opinion.

haunted.lunchbox
12-21-2010, 09:24 AM
I read them both, and didn't like Desperation as much as Regulators. The only think I remember about Regulators is the guys going through the town shooting people at the beginning. I was a teen when I read it.

Seneschal
12-21-2010, 11:26 AM
ahhh, i gotcha...

yea, actually the first like 100 pages or so is really good and very fast-paced. the opening scene is very well contrived.

after that it kinda gets plain silly.

Merlin1958
12-22-2010, 03:45 PM
"Faithful" For what should be obvious reasons!!!!!!!!!!!

:nana::nana::nana:

WeDealInLead
12-22-2010, 05:13 PM
I was right about Gerald's Game and someone mentioned that it's somewhat similar to The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Sure, but it's nowhere close to being as good as TGWLTG. It seems like it simply tries to hard. She's laying there for 200 pages going nuts... no thanks. I looked over those 200 pages and continued reading where she's 'ungloving.'

haunted.lunchbox
12-22-2010, 07:49 PM
I loved Gerald's Game. The reason where there is 200 pages of her cuffed is to help the reader get into the mindset. You can't possibly get into it in 3 pages.

WeDealInLead
12-23-2010, 11:03 AM
I know that. The thing is I didn't care for her mindset. I read the first 60 pages and then skimmed through the rest. For me, it seemed to drag and drag and drag.

fernandito
12-23-2010, 11:06 AM
did u read Desperation too? i mean, there's a chance you really did like Regulators, but the two stories are about the same entity and Desperation was miles ahead better. at least, in my opinion.

Leagues better.

Jean
12-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Leagues better.
Yes.

Rice Dancer
01-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Anything recent.

Merlin1958
01-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Faithful!!!!!

Dammit!!!!! LOL LOL

blavigne
01-13-2011, 05:37 AM
Faithful!!!!!

Dammit!!!!! LOL LOL

Never read it. Maybe I should not :)

Son of Paul
01-13-2011, 07:41 AM
Full Dark, No Stars, though not a novel, registers somewhere on my list. The short stuff was always the one area I had no doubts about with King. Even his endings, which I tend to find rushed, or ultimately deemed unimportant by King, always seem to come out right with novellas or short stories. These, though, really didn't do it for me. King has commented upon his shorter works crying out to be novels before, and it seems like this might be a case of him not giving in when he should have. Not that the ideas themselves could have carried a novel-sized story, but the writing itself kept trying to expand, and he rushed through it all stubborn like.

Or I'm developing a disdain for all his newer stuff. I actually commented elsewhere, ahead of time, that I was worried I'd be disappointed. Still, I try and remain objective, because I do wish to be entertained. Why else, right?

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-13-2011, 02:56 PM
Strange how tastes differ. I liked DESPERATION, THE REGULATORS, and GERALD'S GAME (the only book that had a passgae that actually made me queasy), but I really disliked THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON. I KIND of agree with the comments about recent works, but I did like CELL quite a bit. Can't comment on UTD or BILLY or FULL DARK yet, since I am always a year or two behind in my reading and haven't gotten to them yet.

blavigne
01-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Strange how tastes differ. I liked DESPERATION, THE REGULATORS, and GERALD'S GAME (the only book that had a passgae that actually made me queasy), but I really disliked THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON. I KIND of agree with the comments about recent works, but I did like CELL quite a bit. Can't comment on UTD or BILLY or FULL DARK yet, since I am always a year or two behind in my reading and haven't gotten to them yet.

I liked Desperation but not The Regulators and also liked The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and Cell. Loved UTD. That and Duma Key have been the best in a long time for me. The two that I really disliked a ton are Gerald's Game and Lisey's Story. Neither one appealed to me at all. I have not read BILLY or FDNS yet so I can't comment on those. I think it's cool how everyone has different tastes. It's interesting to hear other people's thoughts. Sometimes I even go back and try a book or story again because of them!

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Yes, I plan on re-reading some of the books I disliked some day, with the exception of LISEY'S STORY. Words do not exist to describe how much I disliked that book. I will never, ever EVER eat Hamburger Helper again!

Rice Dancer
01-13-2011, 06:26 PM
I just find his lack of character development to be really disappointing in his recent stuff. I never care about any of the characters which makes me not care about the story.

pixiedark76
01-13-2011, 06:41 PM
As I have posted here before THE TOMMYKNOCKERS is for me the worst SK novel ever for me. It is the only one that I can say that I totally HATE!!! That book is the most long winded snooze fest I have ever read from any author.The tommyknockers made me sick when read it, so sick I almost died of boredom!

The only other book by SK that I dislike is Four Past Midnight. I found that the stories in this collection to be very boring!

Son of Paul
01-14-2011, 07:21 AM
I hear ya on the character development aspect, Rice Dancer. Under the Dome, obviously, had a million characters. He did nicely with Big Jim's son, but couldn't come close imo with any of the main characters.

Also, I think politics do more than merely leak into his works nowadays. He seems ready to bust you over the head with his messages rather than focus on story.

Rice Dancer
01-14-2011, 08:07 AM
I think the book I liked the most out of his recent stuff was Duma Key, but even that I didn't love. I had very high hopes for Under the Dome. Actually, I think Under the Dome would make a good movie or series which I heard was a possibility. I hated Cell with a passion.

Mattrick
01-14-2011, 02:35 PM
Duma Key was great and I really enjoyed Lisey's story. Cell was okay. I have Under The Dome but it's pretty daunting and probably won't read it for awhile.

I couldn't get into Salem's Lot at all so that's probably my least favourite.

pixiedark76
01-14-2011, 02:43 PM
I hear ya on the character development aspect, Rice Dancer. Under the Dome, obviously, had a million characters. He did nicely with Big Jim's son, but couldn't come close imo with any of the main characters.

Also, I think politics do more than merely leak into his works nowadays. He seems ready to bust you over the head with his messages rather than focus on story.

On the politics, I agree 100%

Roland of Gilead 33
01-14-2011, 08:02 PM
for me the worst books of his are. & bear in mind that i haven't read all his books yet. so the list isn't very big. "Carrie" is one of them. you may say how dare he? well i dare. see i grew up watching the Original film & that's one of my favorite films of all time. & when i FINALLY got around to reading

"Carrie" in high school it didn't have the impact that the film did. in fact i was a little bored when i read it. while i'm thrilled that it gave him a career way back when. there's no doubt about that. i think if i had read the book 1st than saw the film than that'd be

different. also i'm not saying i think it's his worst book either. i'm just saying i think it's one of his worst books.

anyways, i LOVED "Desperation" when i read it back when it 1st came out. but than i read "The Regulators' & i thought it was a piece of shit.

dreadful, terrible etc.. i think the connection between both books is pretty cool actually & original, plus i LOVE the fact that the covers of the hardbacks are one

picture. that was pretty cool the way that was created. but the result in the book itself of 'The Regulators' was a HUGE Dissapointment to me. & sorry for my bad spelling. anyways,

his other book that i think is is worst book by far would be "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" i had to FORCE myself to finish the damn thing when it 1st came out. it took

me like a month & a half to read a book that short would normally take me at least back than a LOT shorter time. it may have been even longer than that. i can't remember, but it sure as hell felt like i was reading it for 6 months!

those so far are the ones i thought were his worst books.

Mattrick
01-14-2011, 08:45 PM
You're crazy, Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon was great. Read it in a few hours. Loved it.

I also think Bag of Bones is his greatest single novel, even more than the stand.

Roland of Gilead 33
01-14-2011, 09:16 PM
well i'm glad you liked it. but i didn't. to me it's just about a girl walking in the woods, & there's really almost no other characters than that. someone here said that "Gerald's Game" is a bit like that well i haven't read that one yet so i can't comment on that one.

& i DO agree about "Bag of Bones" i LOVED IT when i 1st read it. & i've read it a few more times since than. i'd love to see them make that one into a film.

Mattrick
01-14-2011, 10:17 PM
TGWLTG is hardly about a girl in the woods. It's about fear, about loneliness and helplessness. I found the book particularily creepy. The fact that we see a simply lost in the woods story, from a little girls perspective, it allows us to see the world as she sees it. The way He infantile mind and incessant imagination manifests a bear into a hideous creature of the night. Not until she feels safe and the world is normal, do we see how she imagined a lot of it. Most of the horror comes from remember being a child, alone in the woods in the dark and how terrifying it would be. And the beacon of hope that keeps her going is a baseball player and her imagination is also powerful enough to have Tom Gordon there with her, as well as that dark force.

TGWLTG is easily his most underrated novel. I hear a lot of people didn't enjoy it. Gerald's Game I can see, that is more twisted for sure.

Roland of Gilead 33
01-15-2011, 12:34 AM
well i can understand you point of view & that makes sense no doubt about that. i'm just going by how i felt while i reading it way back in (1999)

maybe it would make a better film i honestly dunno? actually last i heard & granted it's been a looong time i thought it was going to be a film? or was it cancelled? what did you think of the Cut Version of "The Stand" ? i think it stinks actually. & before anyone here says how dare I? he he.

let me also add that i read the Uncut version 1st a few times before i landed myself a copy of the original version & read it. so i was able to tell what was added in the book. & what had gotten cut out. so if i had read the original version 1st like many of you here prolly have done so.

i prolly would have enjoyed it more. that's why i state my reason about the original version of "The Stand"

Mattrick
01-15-2011, 01:04 AM
I've only read the uncut.

Rice Dancer
01-15-2011, 06:27 AM
I liked TGWLTG, but I didn't read it myself, I listened to the audiobook.

Jean
01-15-2011, 06:43 AM
bears adore TGWLTG, even though, like in DT3, their public image suffers from misinterpretation there

Mattrick
01-15-2011, 10:55 AM
If i get to make movies, I'm making TGWLTG. Would make a fantastic movie but I don't think it could be a box office smash. Would have to be slow and brooding to build up suspense and create fear.

Roland of Gilead 33
01-15-2011, 09:31 PM
you should try & read the Cut version & see what i mean. & since you are used to reading the uncut version you will notice the difference. there's no epilog for one thing like there is in the uncut version. it starts with Stu at the gas station if memory serves me right. i don't think that's a spoiler unles i'm wrong?

anyways i LOVE "DT3" it's one of my favorite books of his. & as for "The Girl who loved Tom Gordon" i think it would make a better film than book.
one of the RARE examples of a film a SK film being better than the is "Dolores Clairborne" excuse me if i spelled any of that wrong.

the book i love, even though it takes awhile for you to get used to on HOW he wrote it. but the film i think is better. it's one of those RARE instances where the film outshines the book. it doesn't happen very often from any author but in the case of 'Dolores Clairborne" it does.

pathoftheturtle
01-16-2011, 07:13 PM
TGWLTG is easily his most underrated novel.I agree.

And I'm also close to agreeing with you on Bag of Bones -- it's definitely a great one.

Roland of Gilead 33
01-16-2011, 09:45 PM
i'd LOVE to see "bag of bones" as a film that is easily one of his best books. i think it's one of those films that should be done by either "Mick Garris' or even better "Frank Darabount" & if i spelled his last name wrong i apologize.

bettinas.ashes
01-18-2011, 10:28 PM
I think Gerald's Game is the one I have enjoyed the least so far, but I think I will try and re-read it again one day. Perhaps time has changed my perspective a bit.
Also, I have found that some of the books that I didn't really enjoy reading in Danish, has been much better once read in English, and that might also make a difference to my opinion.

A long time ago I tried to read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, and I don't recall ever finishing it mainly out of boredom, so that might be a book to be read in English one day too.

Roland of Gilead 33
01-19-2011, 06:08 PM
well i was bored to death reading 'The Girl Who loved tom Gordon" so don't feel bad if you still feel that way when you read the english version

brandnewfan
01-21-2011, 01:17 AM
The Tommyknockers was the hardest King novel for me to get through. Bag of Bones and Insomnia are close seconds.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-21-2011, 01:58 AM
I liked Tommyknockers, its one of the few that I have read only one time. I think I will get it back out soon.

Jean
01-21-2011, 02:35 AM
Do. Bears absolutely love it.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-21-2011, 03:32 PM
I liked THE TOMMYKNOCKERS too. From what my poor memory can recall, it was weird and offbeat, and it worked for me!

I didn't like THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON. It wasn't the idea of the story, which I thought was good, but just the way it was written. Again, memory fails me on the finer points. Maybe it's just because I'm not that interested in baseball as a professional sport any more. That's one I'm putting on my mental list to re-read one day to see if my opinion changes on a 2nd reading.

Roland of Gilead 33
01-21-2011, 05:45 PM
i love 'The Tommyknockers' the only downside to that novel at least for me is that it moves to damn slow at 1st. before "Gardner" gets to "bobby's Book i think if they are to remake one of his films, it shouldn't be "Firestarter" it should be "The Tommyknockers" but i'd love another Min-series that

"SK" himself writes & would be longer than just 2 parts. as for "The Girl Who Loves Tom Gordon" that also is another reason it bores the hell out of me. as a kid i loved baseball but sports just bores the hell out me anymore. i'd rather watch grass grow than watch any kind of sports.

no offense to those who love sports on here. i'd just rather read a good book, or watch a good movie. or watch a good tv show. but maybe that's just me?

Jean
01-22-2011, 12:09 AM
I hate all kinds of sport with a passion, never read anything sport-related, don't know shit about baseball (not even the basic rules), and love TGWLTG.

Mattrick
01-22-2011, 02:53 AM
Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon has nothing to do with baseball, save for it's structure. Tom Gordon is no more than a larger than life hero and could be any profession, just can't listen to most of em on the radio.

Jean
01-22-2011, 11:46 AM
precisely

Roland of Gilead 33
01-22-2011, 02:04 PM
i didn't say the book was just about baseball, but it has baseball moments in it. & Thank you Jean for HATING sports, like i do. though i can't think of any other guy that hates sports. other than me of course. i mean that i know. never the less. it was a book that just bored me to death. did he write that before his accident or after it? i can't remember actually.

kluker
01-22-2011, 02:17 PM
My husband hates sports and i'm the one that likes them :lol:
But I love TGWLTG cause it was something that could happen in real life and little girl/boy could get lost like that and start seeing things that scare her/him, and little kids are tougher then they look

Roland of Gilead 33
01-22-2011, 02:25 PM
i know they are. tougher i mean, i think when it comes to "SK" books some stuff in his books depending on which book you read it COULD indeed happen in real life. "Cujo" for one is something that COULD happen. anyways, maybe someday i'll try & read it again who knows?

Merlin1958
01-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Yeah, However the way the "Vampire-craze" is going these days, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that a whole Town was turned!!!!!!

LOL :P

Roland of Gilead 33
01-22-2011, 06:16 PM
oh i LOVE the fact that we are going through a Vampire Craze right now. it's about damn time we are. i only say that cause really ONLY 1 reason I LOVE Vampires. some of the best shows & films have come about because of vampires.

pvs
02-10-2011, 09:24 PM
For myself I would have to say Cycle of the Werewolf, I know it's not a novel, but this short-story is just too dang short. I love the artwork by Bernie Wrightson, but this is one book that needs some more "meat" on it.

pathoftheturtle
02-10-2011, 09:28 PM
For myself I would have to say Cycle of the Werewolf, the story is just too dang short. I love the artwork by Bernie Wrightson, but this is one book that needs some more "meat" on it.It's not a great book, but I can't help but to feel a fondness for it.

The Road Virus
05-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Insomnia. I feel the writing is not up to par and forced, making his prose sluggish. He mentioned (I believed, I just finished reading it) in On Writing that this was one of the times he went against his natural process and actually tried to map out this novel (although he did the same with The Stand and that is arguably his most popular work).

WeDealInLead
05-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Rose Madder. Ze bool was ridicilous. It's almost like King knew the book was bad so he decided to knock it up a notch and take it to the absurd territory. Story itself was fine, story telling sucked poop.

Dolores Claiborne. Oof. Quick and easy read but this was some serious feminist shit.. which I'm all for when it's honest. This book just felt forced to me. Like King was on a deadline and had to submit something.

The Tommyknockers. Average as a King book, AWFUL as sci-fi.

Gerald's Game. I tried and I tried and I tried. I read 1/3 of it, the rest I read here and there, got the jist of it, decided it's hands down the worst King book I ever had the misfortune of reading.

Most Bachman books are painful. I liked Blaze (I knew what I was getting into), loved The Long Walk, The Running Man was good and the rest I want erased from my memory.

Carrie and Cujo are two of the early works I'll probably never re-read.

pathoftheturtle
05-09-2011, 05:39 AM
All right on. Except, I like Thinner.

blavigne
05-09-2011, 08:49 AM
Lisey's story.....................so slow and dull pg 227 still waiting for it to grab me :(

Jean
05-09-2011, 08:57 AM
Lisey's story.....................so slow and dull pg 227 still waiting for it to grab me :(
It will get marginally better closer to the end. But never really good.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Veeeeery marginally....no wait....no... its sucks all the way through.

Jean
05-09-2011, 09:56 PM
alas

The Road Virus
05-10-2011, 05:24 AM
How do you guys feel about the Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon? I thought it was a well told story but felt cheated after I read it. It was so anti climatic, with only 4 or 5 pages of actual conflict.

pathoftheturtle
05-10-2011, 06:47 AM
I didn't find it anti-climatic. Not much outright conflict, but I thought it was a well told story.

AndrewP
01-18-2012, 03:02 PM
Dreamcatcher. Damn shit weasels. Orange goop. Bleh. :doh:

Merlin1958
01-18-2012, 06:23 PM

Ahh, C'mon "Shit-Weasels" was a disgusting, yet awesome plot twist!!! I mean, The Horror, the horror!!!!!

:belial:

The Road Virus
01-18-2012, 07:57 PM
I know I'm gonna catch a lot of flack and maybe not one person would agree but the worst SK novel I have read TO ME is definitely Insomnia... :ghost_002:

divemaster
01-19-2012, 05:10 AM
Insomnia is definitely bottom 5. As is Dreamcatcher.

Tito_Villa
01-19-2012, 05:16 AM
I loved both of those stories!

Jean
01-19-2012, 05:23 AM
bears like Dreamcatcher, and love Insomnia

blavigne
01-19-2012, 06:37 AM
bears like Dreamcatcher, and love Insomnia

so do Barbaras, two of my favorites bears!!

pathoftheturtle
01-19-2012, 07:16 AM
Insomnia is definitely bottom 5. As is Dreamcatcher.Agree. Good characters, poor novels. Incoherent and unbelievable -- in both cases, the seams inside are loose and the bones too visible, continually shouting "This is a work of fiction!"

Jean
01-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Good characters, poor novels. Incoherent and unbelievable
that's what they usually say about Dickens (my favorite writer ever)

pathoftheturtle
01-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Good characters, poor novels. Incoherent and unbelievable
that's what they usually say about Dickens (my favorite writer ever)Anyway, I like Stephen King; these just aren't his best works.

mtdman
01-22-2012, 11:36 PM
IMO Bag of Bones was boring as hell. And I read all of Insomnia. The Tommyknockers I gave up on, I was tired of hearing about the woman's periods and the dude's drunk poetry. Tommyknockers actually made me angry.

sgc1999
01-23-2012, 08:59 AM
TOMMYKNOCKERS!

DoctorDodge
01-23-2012, 09:45 AM
Insomnia is definitely bottom 5. As is Dreamcatcher.Agree. Good characters, poor novels. Incoherent and unbelievable -- in both cases, the seams inside are loose and the bones too visible, continually shouting "This is a work of fiction!"

I've gotta admit I couldn't get through Dreamcatcher, but for some reason I really loved reading Insomnia. Maybe it was because I was expecting something a lot worse, but I enjoyed Insomnia a lot more than I expected to.

mae
01-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Insomnia was mindblowing. One of my all-time favorites. I don't understand. I keep watching to re-read it.

With King, there's no such thing as "worst".

blavigne
01-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Pablo, I also love Insomnia

and Dreamcatchers, OK I will admit the whole crap weasel thing was bleh, but the understory here got me, and Duddits who was awesome.

Jean
01-23-2012, 12:09 PM
the last part, with the fuss and total loss of all logic, was awful. The rest was awesome.

(was meant that about Dreamcatcher, but might as well refer to Insomnia. Or Talisman, for that matter.)

pathoftheturtle
02-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Well, on top of what I said here, ("incoherent and unbelievable") I just think (that Dreamcatcher is) too complicated and too self derivative.I remember you said this. I also tend to agree, - but I do not consider any of these to be drawbacks (rather, just characteristic features); that's why I so hope we can talk more about it some day.You're kind of funny, you know? There was a time when I tried to focus on the positive, I love a lot of SK's writing so much; I just didn't get in on these forums to what is less to my taste. Then one day I happened to mention that I don't think Lisey's Story is his worst, as you seem to think, and you asked what was. So since then, I have shared some criticisms as well... and you've been saying that the faults I point at could be regarded as strengths if looked at differently. That's probably true, but I guess that, when it comes to literature, everybody's opinions are alike in that way. Can you explain the drawbacks your least favorites have that are not found in mine?

Jean
02-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Well, on top of what I said here, ("incoherent and unbelievable") I just think (that Dreamcatcher is) too complicated and too self derivative.I remember you said this. I also tend to agree, - but I do not consider any of these to be drawbacks (rather, just characteristic features); that's why I so hope we can talk more about it some day.You're kind of funny, you know?

of course I do know, LOL! that's why you love me, right?

There was a time when I tried to focus on the positive, I love a lot of SK's writing so much; I just didn't get in on these forums to what is less to my taste. Then one day I happened to mention that I don't think Lisey's Story is his worst, as you seem to think, and you asked what was. So since then, I have shared some criticisms as well... and you've been saying that the faults I point at could be regarded as strengths if looked at differently. That's probably true, but I guess that, when it comes to literature, everybody's opinions are alike in that way. Can you explain the drawbacks your least favorites have that are not found in mine?

Welllllllll

What I do not like:

1. Cliched, trivial, commonplace. Examples: 11/22/63; W&G.
2. When the author seems to think that if he is extremely detailed where details do not serve any purpose (it was a big rectangular table with four legs and a flat desktop made of ash with a small crack in the upper left-hand corner) AND at the same time utterly repetitive (he moved his chair closer to the big rectangular table with four legs and a flat desktop made of ash with a small crack in the upper left-hand corner and put the white porcelain coffee cup with a golden rim on the big rectangular table with four legs and a flat desktop made of ash with a small crack in the upper left-hand corner) - that if he is all that, he will graduate to a Real Writer from a "mere" bestselling horror author. Every time I have a feeling that he actually thinks so I cringe inside, and want someone to explain to him that a Real Writer is someone who can make that "hole in the page" described in Misery.
Examples: Lisey's Story, Bag of Bones.
3. Using same old copouts, characters and patterns again and again. Examples: Full Dark No Stars, 11/22/63
4. Boring. This, alas, can't be put into other words, and why something is boring for me and isn't for you is a matter of further research (don't think it would lead anywhere, though, alas). Examples: all of the above; Green Mile; Hearts in Atlantis except Part 1.

I think I have more to say; I hope I'll be able to say it when I review 11/22/63 which epitomizes most, if not all, of the above.

pathoftheturtle
02-09-2012, 11:46 AM
You're kind of funny, you know?

of course I do know, LOL! that's why you love me, right?No. But that doesn't hurt. :wub:

Thanks for the details. :orely: Looking forward to what else you may have to say.

DoctorDodge
02-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Well, on top of what I said here, ("incoherent and unbelievable") I just think (that Dreamcatcher is) too complicated and too self derivative.I remember you said this. I also tend to agree, - but I do not consider any of these to be drawbacks (rather, just characteristic features); that's why I so hope we can talk more about it some day.You're kind of funny, you know?

of course I do know, LOL! that's why you love me, right?

There was a time when I tried to focus on the positive, I love a lot of SK's writing so much; I just didn't get in on these forums to what is less to my taste. Then one day I happened to mention that I don't think Lisey's Story is his worst, as you seem to think, and you asked what was. So since then, I have shared some criticisms as well... and you've been saying that the faults I point at could be regarded as strengths if looked at differently. That's probably true, but I guess that, when it comes to literature, everybody's opinions are alike in that way. Can you explain the drawbacks your least favorites have that are not found in mine?

Welllllllll

What I do not like:

1. Cliched, trivial, commonplace. Examples: 11/22/63; W&G.
2. When the author seems to think that if he is extremely detailed where details do not serve any purpose (it was a big rectangular table with four legs and a flat desktop made of ash with a small crack in the upper left-hand corner) AND at the same time utterly repetitive (he moved his chair closer to the big rectangular table with four legs and a flat desktop made of ash with a small crack in the upper left-hand corner and put the white porcelain coffee cup with a golden rim on the big rectangular table with four legs and a flat desktop made of ash with a small crack in the upper left-hand corner) - that if he is all that, he will graduate to a Real Writer from a "mere" bestselling horror author. Every time I have a feeling that he actually thinks so I cringe inside, and want someone to explain to him that a Real Writer is someone who can make that "hole in the page" described in Misery.
Examples: Lisey's Story, Bag of Bones.
3. Using same old copouts, characters and patterns again and again. Examples: Full Dark No Stars, 11/22/63
4. Boring. This, alas, can't be put into other words, and why something is boring for me and isn't for you is a matter of further research (don't think it would lead anywhere, though, alas). Examples: all of the above; Green Mile; Hearts in Atlantis except Part 1.

I think I have more to say; I hope I'll be able to say it when I review 11/22/63 which epitomizes most, if not all, of the above.

For some reason, I can't really say I'm surprised that the novel everyone seems to love atm is the one you actually seem to hate! :lol: Now I just feel guilty that I got 11/22/63 as a xmas present...

Jean
02-09-2012, 12:38 PM
LOL! I am not surprised you are not surprised, DD!

No, I didn't hate it. There are some parts I actually liked, and I admire the plot, and I loved one character and a few pages (not consecutive).

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Jean, you coulda just said that you have an aversion to bad gunky.

Ben Staad
02-09-2012, 05:53 PM
I'm sure I will catch alot of heat for this but I think Under the Dome and Dreamcatcher are neck and neck for my least favorite King book. That being said I still enjoyed both of these books much more then other authors I've read.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-09-2012, 06:01 PM
Under the Dome is one of my recent favorites, and there are roughly half of King's works that I would rank below Dreamcatcher.

Jon
02-10-2012, 05:37 AM
I have read Thinner to the halfway point five times. I just cannot get into it. It gets my vote as King's worst.

mtdman
02-10-2012, 07:40 PM
I didn't like bag o bones the first time through. But I just gave it another listened and I was surprised at how good it was. I have no idea why I didn't like it the first time. So I've changed my mind on that one.

However, I gotta say that Under the Dome I did not like. Could have been because of the surfer dude narrator. The ending pretty much sucked. And I'm definitely not a fan of Tommyknockers.

beam*seeker
02-21-2012, 04:02 PM

Oddly enough, I loved Dream catcher. I even didn't mind the crappy movie they made out of it. Morgan Freedman was AWESOME. You gotta love the shit weasels. No Bounce, No Play.

CamiDeschain
03-15-2012, 02:24 PM
I've never read any of the books I hear are bad... (like the ones mentioned here) =P Guess im not such a great King fan till I do. hehehe

ps. Under the Dome kicks ass! Love it!

Jean
03-16-2012, 12:00 AM
ps. Under the Dome kicks ass! Love it!:rose: :rose: :rose:

Joka42
09-29-2012, 01:26 PM
the girl who loved tom gordon. Seems a children's novel.

Merlin1958
09-29-2012, 06:29 PM

Gotta agree with this choice!!!

Garrell
09-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Lisey's Story...still.

frik
09-30-2012, 01:35 AM

That would be my choice as well. Not because it reads like a novel for children (I loved The Eyes of the Dragon), but simply because I couldn't get into it. It left me completely cold.

sk

Jean
09-30-2012, 11:07 AM
: sad bear :

pathoftheturtle
10-01-2012, 04:54 PM
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon = actually pretty good. Classic King. All psychological.

TwistedNadine
10-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Rose Madder

CyberGhostface
10-05-2012, 06:45 AM
Depends.

The final Dark Tower novel really left a bad taste in my mouth that still lingers almost a decade later and despite the fact that King has written some of my all-time favorite novels (heck, all-time favorite novel period: It) really affected my feelings towards him as a writer. But I have reread it and there are sections that I like.

On the other hand, there are some novels which I just have never reread and have no interest to reread; Gerald's Game, Dolores Clairborne, The Tommyknockers, The Colorado Kid, etc.

sgc1999
10-05-2012, 10:23 AM
Depends.

The final Dark Tower novel really left a bad taste in my mouth that still lingers almost a decade later and despite the fact that King has written some of my all-time favorite novels really affected my feelings towards him as a writer. But I have reread it and there are sections that I like.

On the other hand, there are some novels which I just have never reread and have no interest to reread; Gerald's Game, Dolores Clairborne, The Tommyknockers, The Colorado Kid, etc.

i agree with your list but would add liseys story.

CyberGhostface
10-05-2012, 10:25 AM
That too was tough for me to get through although I may check it out again. I was more interested in the "B" plot (the flashbacks with Scott's childhood) than I was with the main one.

Jean
10-05-2012, 11:56 AM
I suspect everyone was. Those parts were at least readable.

sgc1999
10-05-2012, 02:34 PM
yup. that part might have made a nice short story in itself.

Cook
10-06-2012, 05:39 AM
Not a novel, but I thought "Blockade Billy" was horribly boring and predictable.

TwistedNadine
10-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Not a novel, but I thought "Blockade Billy" was horribly boring and predictable.

Me too. Didnt like it at all and in fact I will change my vote to this one being the worst

Dan
10-06-2012, 09:07 AM
I don't think any of King's books are "bad". But when comparing Blaze to his other novels, I would have to say this is my least favorite. And yes, I have read Lisey's Story.

TwistedNadine
10-06-2012, 09:17 AM
There seems to be a lot of Liseys Story bashing but I really liked this one.
Just saying...

Ben Staad
10-06-2012, 02:27 PM
For me it is easily UTD. Well written story however I do not like the political agenda. Flame me now.

Dan
10-06-2012, 04:16 PM
For me it is easily UTD. Well written story however I do not like the political agenda. Flame me now.

Not going to flame you, but UTD is in my top 10 easy.

WeDealInLead
10-06-2012, 04:35 PM
I didn't think it was necessarilly about a political agenda. Sure the baddy was a Republican but to me it was more about people being self-serving shits and how easy we snap under those conditions. Don't forget, King is a liberal but his characters are all over the map.

jhanic
10-06-2012, 04:38 PM
I also found the political agenda a but off-putting, but the "bad guy" could just as easily been a Democrat. The thirst for power knows no political boundaries.

John

divemaster
10-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I'm as conservative / Republican as they come and I was a bit put out by the portrayal of the antagonist in UTD, but it did not prevent me from enjoying the book. Not "top 10" King, but top 20? Sure.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-07-2012, 04:16 PM
I didnt pay much attention to any politics. As a rule, I am fairly disinterested in such labels as Republican and Democrat. To me, there is either scumbag or non-scumbag.

divemaster
10-07-2012, 06:09 PM
I didnt pay much attention to any politics. As a rule, I am fairly disinterested in such labels as Republican and Democrat. To me, there is either scumbag or non-scumbag.

It would have been nice if King had taken the same approach in UTD.

Jean
10-08-2012, 03:53 AM
I thought he did?

Ben Staad
10-08-2012, 04:35 AM
I thought he did?

I'm not sure about that however it was a well written book. I may need to retract my statement that I felt this was his worst novel. I don't agree with the agenda/political statement that I perceived in the book but it was a page turner. There are a few books I can think of off hand that were certainly harder for me to get threw. :orely:

Empath of the White
11-20-2012, 07:58 AM
Six years later, Tommyknockers is still a hard read.

Jean
11-20-2012, 11:40 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sad.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sad.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sad.gif

sgc1999
11-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Six years later, Tommyknockers is still a hard read.

I really didnt like this one. Never will.

Stebbins
01-31-2013, 05:48 PM
Jean, to expound on what I said in a suggested appropriate place, I think Insomnia and TGWLTM are his two worst I've come across thus far. Both for the same fundamental reason; they're so slow and not worth their climaxes.

I don't know. But is interesting- though not surprising- how vastly different people's tastes are on this site; even though we agree not only on the same author, but also a series of said author. Pero, el es prolific.

thegunslinger41
02-01-2013, 09:35 AM
Hearts In Atlantis is his worst. 1st half of the book was AMAZING...2nd half was just soooo bad (IMO). May have to give it another shot though. I've only read this once, for obvious reasons.

G

Jean
02-01-2013, 10:08 AM
I am not crazy about HiA, either

Stebbins
02-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Not to be overly anal, but isn't HiA a short story collection?

Jean
02-01-2013, 10:26 AM
It's a long story collection; on second thoughts, I am sure it is a novel, consisting of four (or was it five?) subnovels.

Stebbins
02-01-2013, 10:29 AM
It's a long story collection; on second thoughts, I am sure it is a novel, consisting of four (or was it five?) subnovels.

Icic. I've never read it, so I was just curious.

jhanic
02-01-2013, 12:36 PM
Personally, I enjoyed it. Perhaps because I'm a Vietnam veteran and it just "rang true" to me.

John

Stebbins
02-01-2013, 01:07 PM
It's in my bookcase but there's so many other King books that call to me more based on their premise. I will read it eventually, but probably not till summer at the earliest.

pathoftheturtle
02-01-2013, 04:17 PM
Hearts In Atlantis is his worst. 1st half of the book was AMAZING...2nd half was just soooo bad (IMO). May have to give it another shot though. I've only read this once, for obvious reasons.

GDo give it another shot. I love it. The latter parts definitely make it more of a thinker than an easy entertainment. But it is rewarding if you apply the advice Ted gives Bobby on how to appreciate books.

mae
02-01-2013, 04:48 PM
I'm fairly certain King himself considers Hearts in Atlantis a collection (it collects a previously published piece, Blind Willie, heavily revised). I really enjoyed it, even though I'm too young for the era. I also really enjoyed Insomnia and keep wanting to re-read it. To me it wasn't slow at all, I was so engrossed.

sgc1999
02-01-2013, 05:34 PM
didn't like tommy knockers, and insomnia was just ok for me.

Stebbins
02-10-2013, 07:03 PM
Tommyknockers I went in knowing it was in the vein of 40s Sci-fi AND that it was at the peak of King's drug abuse. Therefore, I thought the over-the-top occurrences blended with real observations about addiction and power under the flimsy facade were quite powerful.

Kingfan24
02-10-2013, 07:30 PM
My vote goes for liseys story... Yikes..

Bryant Burnette
02-11-2013, 12:57 PM
My vote would go to The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, which bored me utterly.

Stebbins
02-11-2013, 01:42 PM
My vote would go to The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, which bored me utterly.

Yes! Thank you. First person I've heard put it at the bottom of the barrel.

sgc1999
02-15-2013, 04:46 PM
well if we are going there then we may as well throw in my pretty pony:)
joking but yes, TGWLTG was a drag. Mostly because of certain expectations going into a King book.

pathoftheturtle
02-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Still don't understand all the hate. I didn't think it was bad at all. It actually met certain of my expectations concerning King. Not really a good book... but it was short. A little too short to expect more good stuff, and also a little too short to regret the time it takes.

Bryant Burnette
02-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Still don't understand all the hate. I didn't think it was bad at all. It actually met certain of my expectations concerning King. Not really a good book... but it was short. A little too short to expect more good stuff, and also a little too short to regret the time it takes.

I don't hate it or anything; it's just not one of my favorites.

As for the idea that it's too short to be really good, I'd say that's nonsense. Being short didn't stop Shawshank from being awesome. Or Carrie or The Long Walk. I just don't think the story was particularly involving, and that would have been true at ANY length. For my tastes, that is.

pathoftheturtle
02-15-2013, 07:19 PM
And I don't love it; it's just not one of my least favorites.

As for it being possible for a short novel or novella to be better than TGWLTG, you are right, of course: it certainly is. My point was about the particular style. I think that if this whole plot were only a section in one of his huge works about entire communities, then we'd all be saying "You know the part with that one girl? - that was pretty good, too." See what I mean? It IS a little weak compared to his best mid-length stuff, on its own, but even just in that category, it is still not the very worst.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Blockade Billy is much worse than TGWLTG.

Stebbins
02-15-2013, 07:51 PM
No wayyy. At least with BB you could tell you were reading a King story, even if you didn't buy into the premise. TGWLTG is a yarn with no bite. The horror-vision she sees in the woods struck me as stupid and hokey.

Bryant Burnette
02-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Blockade Billy is much worse than TGWLTG.

They're neck and neck for me. At least Blockade Billy ends faster. I'd've liked that one more if it had a better resolution; but since you're expecting for something ominous to happen the entire time, it's kind of a letdown when not a whole heck of a lot happens at the end.

pathoftheturtle
02-15-2013, 09:25 PM
Still one of the very few SK works I've never read, Blockade Billy. But with TGWLTG, I guess it would hinge exactly on that one impression: if the horror-vision doesn't read like a King story to you, then the jig is up. In a way, it's like he published the whole thing just to say "I get creepy ideas like this in real life now and then. Does that happen to you, too, sometimes? Maybe it means something." Which is indeed a pretty stupid thing to publish a whole book to say. Unless you think, you know, that maybe it does mean something.

Bryant Burnette
02-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Still one of the very few SK works I've never read, Blockade Billy. But with TGWLTG, I guess it would hinge exactly on that one impression: if the horror-vision doesn't read like a King story to you, then the jig is up. In a way, it's like he published the whole thing just to say "I get creepy ideas like this in real life now and then. Does that happen to you, too, sometimes? Maybe it means something." Which is indeed a pretty stupid thing to publish a whole book to say. Unless you think, you know, that maybe it does mean something.

I don't think I'd agree that it's a stupid thing to say, exactly. I just don't think he wrapped the statement in a particularly interesting story.

Also, from what I remember -- and granted, it's been quite a while since I read it -- there is something about the prose that is just ... off. I can't put my finger on it more precisely than that. My assumption is that it's due to King trying to appeal to a different type of audience than his normal one (which is an admirable goal).

mattgreenbean
04-17-2013, 12:16 PM
Lisey's Story.
It was well written and felt like King, but it took forever for me to finish because I didn't care about finishing it. He was obviously contemplating Tabitha's life after he would be gone. I get that and it was cool how expressed the way he probably feels when writing and going to another world. But it didn't work for me.

I met a guy a while back who loved the story. Said it was his favorite. I thought about it and understand that it was a good King story. It was the heartfelt episode on a tv show that doesn't really flow with the rest of the series.

Stebbins
04-17-2013, 02:33 PM
I read HinA, and loved it. I would agree that it starts off a lot stronger than it finishes, but not even close to his worst work.

It's Insomnia. Period.

pathoftheturtle
04-17-2013, 10:54 PM
mattgreenbean: One of the most generous "worst novel" posts ever. I actually like how you touched on some of the things I liked about it.

It's Insomnia. Period.:orely:
I have yet to read Rose Madder, so I can't comment on that piece yet.

Heather19
04-18-2013, 07:14 AM
It's Insomnia. Period.

Agreed.

Stebbins
04-18-2013, 09:01 AM
mattgreenbean: One of the most generous "worst novel" posts ever. I actually like how you touched on some of the things I liked about it.

It's Insomnia. Period.:orely:
I have yet to read Rose Madder, so I can't comment on that piece yet.

**Of the 32 King novels I have read thus far**

Better my anal buddy (yes, I get how this sounds :lol:)?

pathoftheturtle
04-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Actually, I wasn't trying to pick on your comment -- I was just trying to pick on Rose Madder.

Stebbins
04-18-2013, 02:07 PM
Ah. Then proceed.