PDA

View Full Version : How would you like to see it done? The Official DT Movie Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

ZoNeSeeK
05-19-2008, 05:38 PM
JJ Abrams (Lost, Cloverfield) has the option Rolands_Father - I think he's got enough talent (more importantly, he's an avid fan of the series) to do it a level of justice. I can't see Abrams putting out some shithouse teleseries with bad effects.

What I'm worried about is the screenplay being a complete literal translation of the books. There's some dialogue and character interaction that would be plain hokey if done word-by-word on screen - I just hope the writers of the films understand the DT characters thoroughly so they can recreate them for the big screen. This is what normally lets King movies down, I think - the characters are not as believable as you'd hope - with notable exceptions of Shawshank and The Green Mile, and liberties were taken with both of those to make them work.

It wouldn't bother me if certain things were changed slightly to make a better film. And they'd need a fucking good cast - which comes down to the script again. Talented actors would just ignore a poor script.

shaggyamy
05-25-2008, 08:17 PM
I voted for movies but I also agree that there would be a lot of pieces left out. My second choice would be mini-series.
This series changed my life (in ways I don't even know) and I feel that putting it on film will allow it to touch so many others in the same way- I wouldn't want others to miss out on that and I also hope it would cause many more to read the series and re-live the story the way it should be.

Although I do agree that if the funding isn't available it should not be filmed.

Brice
05-26-2008, 05:51 AM
. also it's a western, and all good people love westerns.

...and thus those people who do not love westerns are not good people? :(

NeverAgain
05-26-2008, 11:44 AM
I'd say Drawing of the Three would be Best Picture.

That being said, as much as I love Abrams, I'd rather someone else do it. Im guessing there are already other topics on the subject of the Darktower picture, but I'm going to continue my thoughts.:P The movie needs to be a Western. It must feel like a Western. I say only these people can pull off this movie. Cronenberg, Nolan, and Boyle. I'm sure there are a couple of others, but I can't think of them at the moment.

It'd be interesting to team up Bertolucci and Argento again. I bet they could create an excellent adaptation of the TDT series.

skoldpadda
05-28-2008, 02:06 PM
i'd have the soundtrack done by either Marc Ribot or Bill Frisell though I suspect only Frunobulax may know who I am talking about. Both are great experimental guitarists who have done extensive scoring and soundtrack work, a lot of which I have listened to reading the series and it works PERFECTLY. either or both could create a masterful score for the series.

I like Ribot a lot more, but I think Frisell would work better for DT... his whole country deal works with the western kind of thing.

I think Wizard and Glass itself would be an award winning movie.

John_and_Yoko
05-28-2008, 02:16 PM
I haven't voted, but I think seven live-action movies would be my preference--IF it could do justice to the books. I'd hate to see them cut something important because even seven movies wasn't enough to fit it in....

The miniseries idea could theoretically solve that, but that'd be #2 on my list because aside from (possibly) losing the seven-part structure, there's also the possibility of special effects (and other considerations) being inferior in such a format.

However, it might be nice if a story like The Dark Tower could prompt the TV crew to do the absolute best they could, and not just prove themselves to be "not good enough for movies," as I think they tend to be regarded. Plus they might be able to film all at once, which could only help (I don't want to see Jake age over the course of seven movies, and who ever heard of filming seven MOVIES at the same time?).

Then again, the theatrical format might reach a wider audience, which would only be all to the good....

I don't know, for me it's kind of a toss-up between the two. I would personally want the seven-part format intact if it could be done right, but I don't want quality sacrificed for something like that.

mallory
05-29-2008, 02:15 PM
i honestly dont believe it could be done..and done proper. Its just such a vast and untouchable thing.. I would disappointed if it were done poorly..SO i say..leave it alone.. and let our imaginations run within the books themselves..if it ain't broke...don't fix it ;))

Darkness Howls
06-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Hmm...I'm not sure. Though I'd love to see it done in seven full-length movies (hey, they're doing it with Harry Potter, aren't they?), I doubt they'd be able to pull it off well, and although the DT is a popular series, I don't think it would be popular enough for seven movies...

The most realistic film adaptation idea seems to me to be a TV miniseries. Maybe 14-20 episodes, spreading each book out over a span of 2-4 episodes. Or maybe even make it a full-blown series and have each book be a ~21 episode season...a stretch, maybe, but it would be great if they did it well and survived through seven seasons.

*Nibbles on kitten*

John_and_Yoko
06-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Though I'd love to see it done in seven full-length movies (hey, they're doing it with Harry Potter, aren't they?)

Actually, I've heard they're stretching the last Harry Potter film into TWO movies, supposedly because they can't cut ANYTHING out of the book and it's too long for one movie (but I can't help noticing they're supposed to come out the exact same years as the two Hobbit movies)....

And what are you, a Melmacian?

Ves'Ka Gan
06-01-2008, 07:11 PM
I almost voted for 'Nothing'..because it is so epic and so very, very close to my heart I would almost think it could never be good enough. But I love movies as much as I love books, and if Harry Potter was worth 7 movies, then the Dark Tower is DEFINITELY worth that.

Tiffany
06-02-2008, 05:45 AM
I voted big screen movie because I just love seeing movies in the theatre (with the exception of those FUCKING commercials).

But I'd be happy with a t.v. mini, too.

...as long as either way had a decent budget, of course.

LemurJones
06-02-2008, 11:15 AM
I don't know how I feel about a DT movie. There are some things that I think they can only really do with animation, and some things that I think they can only really do with live-action filming.

Maybe they could do the main books into movies and have animated bits for the short in-between stories (a la Clone Wars)

John_and_Yoko
06-02-2008, 11:27 AM
I don't know how I feel about a DT movie. There are some things that I think they can only really do with animation, and some things that I think they can only really do with live-action filming.

Maybe they could do the main books into movies and have animated bits for the short in-between stories (a la Clone Wars)

Wait--what? What short in-between stories...?

LemurJones
06-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Um.... like... for instance... the stuff with dinky earnshaw... or the little sisters of eluria... or maybe some of the "we're traveling, we're traveling, the road is long and we're traaaaveeeellliiiing" parts.

LadyHitchhiker
06-02-2008, 02:46 PM
I would want a tv series personally...

John_and_Yoko
06-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Um.... like... for instance... the stuff with dinky earnshaw... or the little sisters of eluria... or maybe some of the "we're traveling, we're traveling, the road is long and we're traaaaveeeellliiiing" parts.

Those aren't really part of The Dark Tower, not as I understand it....

LemurJones
06-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Well nobody says YOU have to watch the cartoons.

Edit: What I really mean is, there are stories that don't make sense out of context. You need to at least know about the Dark Tower to really get Everything's Eventual or Little Sisters, because they don't explain concepts that we take for granted when we as people who know about the Dark Tower's mythos read them.

John_and_Yoko
06-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Well nobody says YOU have to watch the cartoons.

I...didn't mean that as a criticism, I was just trying to clarify....

theBeamisHome
06-03-2008, 07:01 AM
There aren't too many miniseries that I've seen done and enjoyed.... i.e., The Langoliers, that Shining miniseries... among others I'm sure. I would like to see seven movies.. Well they could probably put WotC and SoS together maybe... W&G would have to stand along I think... but maybe, just maybe they could combine The Gunslinger and TDofT... perhaps... Do a Harry Potter on us..

stellablue22
06-05-2008, 07:02 PM
i was just wondering if anyone has any new news on the dark tower movies directed by j.j. abrams? i just heard about it the other day and noticed that all of the articles were from last year. can anyone fill me in?

razz
06-06-2008, 12:08 PM
just that should take a year or two

LadyHitchhiker
06-06-2008, 01:14 PM
star trek was supposed to be out on x-mas of this year but they postponed it

razz
06-06-2008, 01:29 PM
for like the what, fifth time?

LadyHitchhiker
06-06-2008, 01:39 PM
well they had posters and everything for x-mas but they said they want to release it next year because then there will be a better chance of it doing well. Iguess they were scared of running up against Indy and Ironman...

stellablue22
06-08-2008, 10:44 AM
thank you everyone... thats all i needed to know. i can wait that long... i know they will make it worthwhile in the end.

Blackshirts093
06-09-2008, 07:10 AM
I was talking to my friend about who should play Eddie and he came up with the perfect person in my opinion. what about Ed Norton? sure he doesnt exactly look alot like Eddie but the person who plays Eddie has to be the best actor in the film/mini-series. They have to be someone who can play a skinny addict and a big buff badass gunslinger and i bet Norton could pull it off wonderfully

Tiffany
06-09-2008, 07:50 AM
I was talking to my friend about who should play Eddie and he came up with the perfect person in my opinion. what about Ed Norton? sure he doesnt exactly look alot like Eddie but the person who plays Eddie has to be the best actor in the film/mini-series. They have to be someone who can play a skinny addict and a big buff badass gunslinger and i bet Norton could pull it off wonderfully

Here ya' go, Blackshirts. :) It's a thread for just such discussion.

Who Would You Cast? (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1845)

robotstump
06-09-2008, 02:35 PM
couldnt be done

fernandito
06-09-2008, 08:41 PM
couldnt be done

The same thing was said about Lord of The Rings.

John_and_Yoko
06-09-2008, 09:11 PM
couldnt be done

And that STILL can't be done....

Nah, I'm just kidding. :D Though it is a shame they got rid of the underlying subplot--they set it up nicely enough in the movies (at least the Expanded DVD versions)....

jayson
06-10-2008, 07:20 AM
couldnt be done

Yeah, and some people who love those books think it was done horribly. I'd hate to see the same thing happen with DT.

cuthbertallbad
06-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Shouldn't do it. Would lose all the magic.

fernandito
06-15-2008, 08:15 PM
couldnt be done

Yeah, and some people who love those books think it was done horribly. I'd hate to see the same thing happen with DT.

And some people though they were pretty good. :)

jayson
06-16-2008, 04:37 AM
couldnt be done

No doubt, but my point was just because Lord of the Rings was made into a movie doesn't mean a DT movie/movies will be any good. Whether or not one liked the LotR movies, it is a fact that several elements of the story were changed drastically in the movie version. With DT I would find this unacceptable.

Brice
06-16-2008, 08:43 AM
couldnt be done

No doubt, but my point was just because Lord of the Rings was made into a movie doesn't mean a DT movie/movies will be any good. Whether or not one liked the LotR movies, it is a fact that several elements of the story were changed drastically in the movie version. With DT I would find this unacceptable only punishable by slow death.

:thumbsup:

jayson
06-16-2008, 09:05 AM
As usual Brice, you know just what I meant to say. :)

Brice
06-16-2008, 09:06 AM
just trying to help. :)

Duck
06-19-2008, 04:33 PM
I voted for Mini-series. But I really would favour a 3 or 4 season series in the Lost format, and made by the same guys. The Dark Tower lends itself to this kind of adaptation. I don't think you could do it justice in movie format, it's just too long and loads would have to be left out even with a 3 movie format.

One problem with adapting it for TV/Film is Wizard and Glass, most of this book tells the story of Susan Delgado and Roland's earlier days. It's kind of divorced in time from the rest of the series and doesn't really advance the overall story. Plus you would have to get a different younger actor to play Roland, and a whole new cast to tell the story. I reckon in any adaptation the Susan Delgado story will be sacrificed.

Bev Vincent
06-20-2008, 08:06 AM
I thought this was amusing and interesting:

Seven things we want from the Dark Tower movies (http://www.thedeadbolt.com/news/104704/7darktower_feature.php)
Respect for the Scope
Pedigree Behind the Camera
A New Face in Front of the Camera
An "R" Rating - No Dim Tower
Stephen King
Valued Drama Over Action
Hurry Up

froland125
06-20-2008, 08:28 AM
I have not heard anything about the movie. What is going on??

Bev Vincent
06-20-2008, 10:19 AM
Nothing. The LOST creators been given the chance to put together a plan to acquire an option, which in Hollywood speak is about as far from anything concrete as you can get.

MonteGss
06-20-2008, 12:36 PM
It could easily be covered in small, quick flashbacks throughout the rest of the story, no matter what the format the movie is. :)
I definitely wouldn't want to see that particular story in anything but flashback scenes.

razz
06-20-2008, 12:46 PM

Seven things we want from the Dark Tower movies (http://www.thedeadbolt.com/news/104704/7darktower_feature.php)
Respect for the Scope
Stephen King
Valued Drama Over Action
Hurry Up
nice, but here's a point they forgot
STICK TO THE FUCKING STORY!
we do not want it abridged, shortened, twisted, shifted, broken, or simplified. give us every line, every conversation, every plot, every headache, every second of the suspense and action. I don't give a fuck if each movie is 5 1/2 hours long.

John_and_Yoko
06-20-2008, 10:26 PM
If it could be done in the book of The Gunslinger, it could probably be done in the visual format for the Wizard and Glass flashback--maybe find places where it could be told and break it up in that way, or something like that....

I'd hope it wouldn't be sacrificed, anyway....

John_and_Yoko
06-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Well, I've finally decided to cast my vote for the miniseries. The more I think of it, the more likely it seems to me that that's the route they're going to go anyway--at least in terms of it being TV rather than theatrical films (but there's no regular "TV series" option in the poll, plus I'd prefer the miniseries if it could be done right). I mean, J. J. Abrams is already in the television field, with LOST and all.

Plus the television format would help with some considerations like budget (how could they do seven MOVIES all at once, especially with Jake being a primary character for most of those--and the story mostly only takes place over the course of one year?). And the installments could come out sooner between each one (I don't relish having to wait another whole YEAR for the next one, let alone longer than that).

I just hope that, if that is the way it ends up going, it'll be done well and not look phony/cheesy (I'm sure it'll be better than if Mick Garris did it--heaven forbid--but it's still television), and that it won't have commercials or be otherwise censored. More good screen stuff gets ruined that way....

fernandito
06-21-2008, 05:50 AM
couldnt be done

No doubt, but my point was just because Lord of the Rings was made into a movie doesn't mean a DT movie/movies will be any good. Whether or not one liked the LotR movies, it is a fact that several elements of the story were changed drastically in the movie version. With DT I would find this unacceptable.

Even if they fuck up the movies, that wont make the books and less magical than what they are.

jayson
06-21-2008, 05:52 AM
Even if they fuck up the movies, that wont make the books and less magical than what they are.

I agree. However, when the LotR movies came out I encountered a LOT of people who ran their mouths off about how the movies were better than the books, or people that thought they knew everything about LotR because they saw the movies a dozen times but never even read the books once. If I had to deal with people like that about DT I might go Roland-in-Tull on their asses.

fernandito
06-21-2008, 05:55 AM
Ah, well we can't have that! :lol:

MonteGss
06-21-2008, 07:15 AM

I agree. However, when the LotR movies came out I encountered a LOT of people who ran their mouths off about how the movies were better than the books, or people that thought they knew everything about LotR because they saw the movies a dozen times but never even read the books once. If I had to deal with people like that about DT I might go Roland-in-Tull on their asses.

Especially if those people started to hang around here. :lol:

jayson
06-21-2008, 07:22 AM

Especially if those people started to hang around here. :lol:

That's pretty much what I suspect would happen, though I am confident the members here would all tell those people that they need to read the books.

MonteGss
06-21-2008, 07:24 AM
I think we'd have to convince Matt to make a new, separate forum for the "movie" people to discuss things....:lol:
However, yes, you are correct and everyone here would be telling them all they should read The Books so they find out what we already know...they are incredible and can never be replicated. :D

jayson
06-21-2008, 07:26 AM
I think we'd have to convince Matt to make a new, separate forum for the "movie" people to discuss things....:lol:

:lol: that would be acceptable. let the movie-only fans discuss the fake movie DT all they want in their own section of the forum while the fans of the real DT continue our discussions in the real forum. great idea Monte, even if it was at least partially facetious.

MonteGss
06-21-2008, 07:27 AM
:thumbsup:

The Lady of Shadows
06-21-2008, 11:40 AM
we'll just make a kind of mirror site. when they sign up, the roland-bot will ask them a question, something from the books. if they answer it wrong their asses get kicked into todash. err, umm, i mean the mirror site. :)

Rider_of_Discordia
07-10-2008, 09:06 PM
If they do ever make a version of the Tower that hits either the Big Screen or Little one ... can you imagine the influx of new members just asking question after question after question.
Naturally "Read the books" is going to be the most common answer, with folk not wanting to give too much away before the story unfolds naturally. We will all be biting our virtual tongues!

If they do or don't make one, it is still great fun to visit Youtube and watch the fan trailers. ... also lets remember the last time someone tried a "Fusion" of western/fantastic fiction (fantasy/science fiction) ... FIREFLY, a lot of people didn't know how to take it. Trad Western fans didn't like the sci-fi trappings, Sci Fi fans weren't sure of the duster coats and guns! The Gunslinger would seperate viewers in just the same way... though naturally it would have the ready made fanbase (like Lord of the Rings did) to ease it through its birth pains (dial LABOR to 12) .... lets hope whatever the movie industry/tv people do birth its not a Mordred!

Obie-2-Kenobi
07-11-2008, 01:22 AM
Is there a "casting call" thread around here? If so , howabout Daniel Day Lewis as Roland?

Jean
07-11-2008, 01:39 AM
Is there a "casting call" thread around here?
here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1845)

Rider_of_Discordia
07-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Are you the same person posting on the IMDB about Daniel Craig, Obie? While Daniel could pull off a decent Roland I would be reluctant to have an Englishman (especially one from my home stomping ground of the Wirral, Merseyside) playing what I consider to be the quintesential Western Hero! I also shudder at suggestions of Ian McShane and Hugh Lauire ... also mentioned on IMDB.

Oy the Brave
07-17-2008, 06:15 AM
I'd have to think about who plays the characters but I always pictured the first one to be dark and desolate. A lot of erie, ambiant(sp?) music (like the Shining) and constant wind sounds... ...blowing dust and scrubbrush around. But dark, definitley dark. Not only to add the mood to the story, but to show the gunslinger's alone... ...ness.

Empath of the White
07-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Well, I didn't pick an option on the poll and here's why:

I really like the backstory of the comics. The behind-the-scenes stuff where we met Farson, saw Walter playing his role in the war against the Affiliation, etc. Were the universe adapted, I'd start with the Gunslinger Born arc and really have King involved with the screenplay writing process to hammer out the inconsistencies that the comics have. My reason for choosing to start with the comics is because for the book, the flashback that takes up the majority of Wizard and Glass works just fine.

But in the film medium, I've no doubt that you'd have critics complaining about it breaking the pace. That way for the adaption of The Wastelands, you can end it with Roland and the ka-tet confronting the Ageless Stranger and Tick-Tock Man with references to Roland telling the ka-tet about his time in Mejis. After Blaine's crash and their day of exploring the super-flu'd Topeka, Roland would gather Eddie, Susannah, Jake, and Oy, feeling a need to give them one last "warning" (what I thought of the flashback as) before continuing on to the Emerald Palace.

Of course, I'm not sure how long you could get audiences to stay with the series before getting tired of it (if done this way) and accusing the makers of "milking the cash cow." As for directors, maybe Gore Verbinski. On the commentary for POTC: DMC, it was said that he preferred real sets to green screen/blue screen crap. Plus I just like the job he did with the POTC trilogy, but that's beside the point.

Bumbler
07-22-2008, 03:02 AM
I say ya let HBO put it on. The mini series' that they tend to have almost allways look amazing.

BillyxRansom
08-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Barring language restrictions (so based on content alone), what would you say a DT movie could be rated? I'd say it/they could easily be R. I mean unless they shoot for a PG-13 movie, which would, in my opinion, GREATLY damage the story in its entirety. But do you think a PG-13 rating would kill it? Or could it still be good? Even if they cut out the swearing, do you think an R-rating could happen?

razz
08-30-2008, 03:25 PM
pg-13 wouldn't kill Dark Tower. Dark Tower would commit suicide.

BillyxRansom
08-30-2008, 03:46 PM
King would probably back out.

Empath of the White
08-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Tull
Roland's visit to Sylvia
Mordred's birth

I think those 3 warrant an R on their own.

Gileadean Knight
09-01-2008, 12:01 PM
hm, if you translated the material as written then yes it would warrant an R-rating, of course. This dosn't mean, in my opinion, that this is necesarily the best way to do the film.(a subjective statement, I know) A pg-13 might be more marketable but then again you have to realize that the target market isn't exactly kids. Then again the target audience can't just be the folks who have read the books, it must be much broader. I believe that with the success of Lord of the Rings as a pg-13 epic fantasy it might be pushed to that level as far as violent content/sexuality/language is concerned. (but you have the matrix at the other end so who really knows what is best for it...) In short I guess I havn't thought about it enough to give a well-supported opinion as to what a DT film should be rated but I am thinking now...

Empath of the White
09-10-2008, 04:59 PM
How do you show A spider-baby ripped off mommy's breast and sucking her dry and keeps thing PG-13?

I was thinking about the taheen and the cantoi...what effect shop/artist would you want working on them? I think whoever makes this series should get in touch with the guys Del Toro used for Hellboy II myself. As for the actual look of the creatures, would you want the Almanac version Where the taheen have a clean-cut switch between animal head/appendages and a human body, or a more were-type thing like in the books?

I also want an appearance by Farson, as he is seen in The Gunslinger Born. If the movie is popular enough or gets enough good word, a rating won't matter. As you said Gileadean Knight, the Matrix movies prove that.

fernandito
09-14-2008, 01:01 PM
How do you show A spider-baby ripped off mommy's breast and sucking her dry and keeps thing PG-13?

Damn good question.

:orely:

Skgrey
09-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Hello all,
Didn't see this news anywhere or on Google; some scenes were being filmed at the beach at Edgewater Park here in Cleveland about three weeks ago. The scene that was setup was a door on the beach, and the actor that played Roland was wearing a green covering on two of the fingers on his right-hand. I didn't get to stay to see Roland (as I had to work) but saw the door, and one of my friends hung around to see Roland (he didn't recognize the actor). I didn't see JJ either, but they had the set fairly closed off and we were a bit in the distance.

Looks like they were filming the beginning of Drawing of the Three, which lines up with what I thought would happen, that the first two books would be combined in some fashion. IMHO this leans toward a movie-version rather than a TV-version, since there'd be no reason to shoot this so early for a TV version.

Yay!
-Matt

MonteGss
09-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Yeah, sure.

I think we of all people would have heard about the actual filming of a DT movie.

What a waste of a post. :(

Jackie
09-21-2008, 07:24 PM
Yea, here's some pretty recent information on The Dark Tower movie.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/09/02/damon-lindelof-updates-the-dark-tower/

Skgrey
09-22-2008, 03:37 AM
Hey asshole,

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4904

Apparently it was prelim filming. I heard it on 92.3 radio up here that it was going on which is why I went to see it, looks like Fox news on channel 8 here in Cleveland picked it up as well.

Before flaming me it may have been a better idea to maybe Google a bit to check the facts? Or is everyone so bitter on here because of misinformation that's just the automatic response now?

jayson
09-22-2008, 04:58 AM
Skgrey, according to the thread you linked us to it says only that

Originally Posted by Moderator
This has been answered in another thread, but JJ Abrams only has the option to come back with a proposal for how to adapt it, not the actual film option rights. If Steve is agreeable to the proposal, then and only then does it move forward to an actual production.

It never says anything about this actually being achieved and the filming moving forward. I am not saying you are incorrect and that is hasn't started, it may very well have. However, before you go around getting hyper-defensive and calling people names you might want to make sure that whatever you post as evidence actually evidences what it is you are saying.

Randall Flagg
09-22-2008, 05:57 AM
SKGrey, I see no need to open up your defense by calling someone a name. Since this doesn't seem to be "Official" news, I am going to merge this with the movie discussion.

Ka-tet
09-22-2008, 09:50 AM

Respect for the Scope
Stephen King
Valued Drama Over Action
Hurry Up
nice, but here's a point they forgot
STICK TO THE FUCKING STORY!
we do not want it abridged, shortened, twisted, shifted, broken, or simplified. give us every line, every conversation, every plot, every headache, every second of the suspense and action. I don't give a fuck if each movie is 5 1/2 hours long.

Hear him well!

The Lady of Shadows
09-28-2008, 12:11 AM
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

fernandito
09-28-2008, 07:01 AM
"The entire franchise is so inspired by the Western, maybe J.J. should even call the people who made the best Western in recent years, The Coen Brothers."

Brilliant.

atrum_unum
10-27-2008, 10:32 AM
In my personal and oh so humble opinion, i believe that the Dark Tower movie should be done in couplets save for book seven. There is so much more that you can put into a book than into a movie and that accounts for a lot of the pages. Whereas in the movie version, its all visual and some people may not get all the sublties that arise there. Although i'm not exactly thrilled that they're going to attempt to make the series into a movie-having several doubts on whether or not they can get it right-i would definitely like to see them try. After all, you dont know until you try. Many people thought that Lord of the Rings would never be made right in movie form, but it did pretty well. So i say let's see them try and if they dont get it right, they will definitely know via the throngs of displeased Dark Tower fans the world over.

Mordred Deschain
10-27-2008, 11:15 AM
I agree with some of that. Especially Wizard and Glass probably could be added to Wastelands or Wolves of the Calla. I know what happens to Roland in the past is important, but they could cut down the story and get to the main dreggs.

flaggwalkstheline
10-30-2008, 04:45 PM
i think a tv series and i mean highend HBO series lasting several seasons would be the best way to do it, 7 movies each at just under 3 hours sounds long but it just couldnt possibly capture everything from the books that a series consisting of hour long episodes could, im thinking: creating a series similar to lost or prison break and that may b what happens since jj abrams (creator of lost) is connected 2 it

Mordred Deschain
10-31-2008, 06:12 PM
i think a tv series and i mean highend HBO series lasting several seasons would be the best way to do it, 7 movies each at just under 3 hours sounds long but it just couldnt possibly capture everything from the books that a series consisting of hour long episodes could, im thinking: creating a series similar to lost or prison break and that may b what happens since jj abrams (creator of lost) is connected 2 it

The only thing I'm worried about with a series is the possibility of it getting cut before the end.

Brice
11-02-2008, 01:17 AM
Yeah, and with HBO they'd cancel it just as it started to get good. My preference is still that it not be made either as a movie or a tv series. It will get fucked up. I'll be sitting right here to say I told you so, when it does. :P

klobbrus
07-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Greetings.

I have heard talk that Genndy T. was in talks to do it before JJ Abrams. That gave me a moment of hope, as I am a big fan of the Samurai Jack series! The main character reminds me a lot of Roland, traveling through time, space, with magic, advanced technology and still helping those who need to be freed from the evil ruler.

One thing I like that I think could work for the DT series (or at least parts of it) if it were to be in a similar style as Samurai Jack is the epic scenery shots with just music/sound effects to tell the story. Dialogue is used, but since Jack is mainly alone on his quest, he doesn't need to always explain what he will do, he just does it!

That's my two cents, anyway!

sarajean
07-27-2009, 06:32 PM
Greetings.

I have heard talk that Genndy T. was in talks to do it before JJ Abrams. That gave me a moment of hope, as I am a big fan of the Samurai Jack series! The main character reminds me a lot of Roland, traveling through time, space, with magic, advanced technology and still helping those who need to be freed from the evil ruler.

One thing I like that I think could work for the DT series (or at least parts of it) if it were to be in a similar style as Samurai Jack is the epic scenery shots with just music/sound effects to tell the story. Dialogue is used, but since Jack is mainly alone on his quest, he doesn't need to always explain what he will do, he just does it!

i don't know you, but this post makes me like you.

:couple:

klobbrus
07-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Greetings.

i don't know you, but this post makes me like you.

:couple:

:blush:

Thanks!

Letti
07-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Greetings.

Yeah, quite interesting idea. I think DT with such a style would hit and touch the people hard.

Rich420
08-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Any animated version, digital or otherwise, is unnaceptable. And I'm no fan of mini-series', as I see them as being even lower than made-for-tv-movies, but it may be possible with HBO.

I'd prefer to see big-screen film adaptations, but it's going to be really hard if not impossible to do. It's just such a strange and unconventional story, and if the first one isnt a huge success, which it probably wont be, then there wont be any funding for the other six. It will have to be drastically changed/shortened, and the writers are going to have a difficult job of making the changes appropriate. It will need to have a solid R rating, which is another problem (I can only imagine what some mainstream movie goers are going to think when shortly into the first film the "hero" massacres an entire village; men, women, and children). And one of the biggest problems I can think of is what to do with "Wizard and Glass". It would just be too strange to have an entire film in the middle of the series go off on such a tangent, with completely different characters and actors and whatnot. I think that story should be told through appropriatley placed flash-back scenes throughout the other films, or even better, as a prequel kind of like what Peter Jackson is doing with The Hobbit. It's going to need well-known actors, even if they arent the best choices, to attract a mainstream audience in order to guarantee funding.

Basically, this project is going to be so big that they wont have the option of simply catering to the die-hard fans, and as such I think a lot of people on this site will be disappointed. Personally I think that if someone is going to make an epic Stephen King film, it would be better to do The Stand, as it's a slightly more conventional story. The PG made-for-tv series didnt do it justice.

KnightAllgood
08-21-2009, 01:26 PM
:cowboy: I joined this site just for the soul purpose to ask this and post some pics. A couple of weekends ago me and my girlfriend went to wendover Nevada to gamble. We were leaving the rainbow casino and saw this guy in beat up jeans and boots, but a nice long sleeve shirt on in 101 degree weather. He looked sick and sun burned and then someone came out behind him in a Ka shirt and it hit me. Roland!!! I made my girlfriend follow the van to the gas station and we snapped a few shots of the gunslinger talking to the guy in the Ka shirt. Wendover is close to the bonniville salt flats too. We drove out to them, but it was blocked by cones and there were some trailers. Anybody know anything? I thought they were not doing something until lost was over. Maybe a dollar baby? Test footage. Will post the pics soon.

KnightAllgood
08-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Now that I look at the pics, they are not as exciting as I remember. :doh: When I saw him in the boots and jeans it made more sense. Oh, well.

KnightAllgood
08-25-2009, 12:45 PM
here is another

KnightAllgood
08-25-2009, 12:46 PM
one more

blaine
08-27-2009, 02:26 PM
anyone else having probs seeing the pictures?

ola
08-28-2009, 01:27 AM
anyone else having probs seeing the pictures?

You have to do at least 5 posts for some forum features:
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=6648

klio
08-28-2009, 01:48 AM
the best would be nothing,cause films cant compare with books,but i cant help myself i would like to see that... so-seven movies... :pullhair:

blaine
08-28-2009, 11:15 AM
thanks this is my third i think

blaine
08-28-2009, 11:16 AM
fourth

blaine
08-28-2009, 11:17 AM
and fifth, my apologies for the spam :-)