PDA

View Full Version : Site problems

Matt
09-16-2007, 07:47 AM
We are having an error on our global PHP file. Support says it has to do witha plug in that I may have added, I will be working to get it fixed in the next few minutes.

tamez
09-16-2007, 07:48 AM
:taps foot:

:P :P :P

Matt
09-16-2007, 08:25 AM
Okay, I have figured out how to disable all plug ins so I can figure out the offending one, that should stop the errors and/or erratic behavior.

I'm not sure what "plug ins" covers but if you find something kind of "off", then that is probably it. :D

Matt
09-16-2007, 08:47 AM
It covered everything!! :lol:

But after a back door fix and systematic restart of all of them, we are back in business. :nana:

I love this because it is a great test of the sites versatility and built in protection systems. Not to mention the great customer support. these add ons are no longer "code" they are simple functions that anyone can learn. :rock:

btw--the offending plugin was "about today", for some reason, it took a shit last night but I am going to try and fix because I think its cool.

:grouphug:

Patrick
09-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Good luck, Matt. I was bummed when I lost access to the site on both Friday and Saturday nights.

Matt
09-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Its all fixed now, that plug in was having twitches obviously. We're good to go now.

Letti
09-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Well done, Matt. :thumbsup:

sarajean
09-17-2007, 02:23 PM
i felt bad on friday night, cos i told the people in chat that i would BRB and logged out, but then i wasn't able to get back. the site made a liar out of me, matt. <_<

so glad it's all better now. :huglove:

ZoNeSeeK
09-17-2007, 03:32 PM
i love it when matt talks about getting a back door fix. so fresh and modern. :)

Storyslinger
09-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Go MAtt :D

Letti
09-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Go MAtt :D

:D

Matt
09-18-2007, 05:49 AM
i love it when matt talks about getting a back door fix. so fresh and modern. :)

I'm a 20th century guy

Storyslinger
09-18-2007, 06:05 AM
Thats why we all love ya :D

Letti
09-25-2007, 10:23 PM
Hey! Guys!
I can't see the posts at the Baronies section in Midworld. Just the fist post, the starter post.
What about you?

Matt
09-26-2007, 04:15 AM
Its set up that way on purpose Letti. All you have to do is click the discussion button and you will be in it. :couple:

I am trying something new in there.

Wuducynn
09-26-2007, 06:50 AM
"Trying something new" translated as "screwing up something that worked perfectly fine before and there is no Earthly reason to change except that said changer is bored".

Storyslinger
09-26-2007, 06:52 AM
Bugger

Daghain
09-26-2007, 07:02 AM
I didn't particularly care for it either. I'd rather see the whole thread. But that's just me. :D

Matt
09-26-2007, 07:02 AM
"Trying something new" translated as "screwing up something that worked perfectly fine before and there is no Earthly reason to change except that said changer is bored".

:(

We gotta try new things man. If it doesn't work, its easy to put back. ;)

And I am far from board, I have plenty of stuff to do around here

Wuducynn
09-26-2007, 07:04 AM
Matt, I know..I was just fucking with ya. ;)

Storyslinger
09-26-2007, 07:05 AM
Busy, busy, busy :pullhair: :lol:

MonteGss
09-26-2007, 07:13 AM
Hey! Guys!
I can't see the posts at the Baronies section in Midworld. Just the fist post, the starter post.
What about you?

Its set up that way on purpose Letti. All you have to do is click the discussion button and you will be in it. :couple:

I didn't particularly care for it either. I'd rather see the whole thread. But that's just me. :D

I like the new format in The Baronies. I think the Wiki-look to each book is really, really cool. I also like that each thread is listed on the bottom. That said, I think that the whole thread should come up when you click one of them. Or, if you'd rather have only the first one show initially, then once you click Discussion, it should bring up the entire thread...including said first one. Those are my two cents. :)

Matt
09-26-2007, 07:16 AM
I'm going to try and see if I can make it do that Monte. I know there is a setting to show the entire thread but I am worried its global for the wiki.

Which we wouldn't want.

Thanks for the rest though, I think its really cool too. :couple:

MonteGss
09-26-2007, 07:17 AM
You're the man Matt. :thumbsup: :D

Storyslinger
09-26-2007, 07:20 AM
Not a fan of it because I'm really intelligently impared:doh::beat: , great stuff though:excited:

Wuducynn
09-26-2007, 07:22 AM
I'm going to give it a try for awhile before making a snap judgement like Daghain.

Daghain
09-26-2007, 08:42 AM
When you click on discussion in a wiki article, the whole discussion comes up. I'm confused as to why it wouldn't work the same way in the Baronies. Or I'm missing something. :lol:

Daghain
09-26-2007, 08:43 AM
CK, you suck. :lol:

Wuducynn
09-26-2007, 09:01 AM
CK, you suck. :lol:

*sigh* I know.

Daghain
09-26-2007, 09:04 AM
:rofl:

Matt
09-26-2007, 10:05 AM
When you click on discussion in a wiki article, the whole discussion comes up. I'm confused as to why it wouldn't work the same way in the Baronies. Or I'm missing something. :lol:

As far as I know they work the exact same. If you go into towerpedia!, choose an article, you only see it. You have to click on "comments" or "discussion" to see the posts.

Daghain
09-26-2007, 10:29 AM
Right, but you see all the posts. :D

Matt
09-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Those are actually threads, I believe the posts are still hidden.

Until now :rock:

I made the change across the board to see if we liked that better. Go have a look at any of the threads in say...Book 7 and let me know what you think.

Wuducynn
09-26-2007, 10:43 AM
Those are actually threads, I believe the posts are still hidden.

Until now :rock:

I made the change across the board to see if we liked that better. Go have a look at any of the threads in say...Book 7 and let me know what you think.

Okay..on my way...

Wuducynn
09-26-2007, 10:47 AM
Alright, I like that better. I'm still not sure the "why" of this change, but I'm starting to get used to it. Don't know if I'll like it as much as the normal format but like I said I'll try it for awhile and see.

Matt
09-26-2007, 10:51 AM
That's awful big of you Matthew. :lol:

Wuducynn
09-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Yeah, just watch me being magnanimus.. :lol:

Matt
09-26-2007, 10:55 AM
:couple:

As to the reason it was done, I think its important for me as the administrator to constantly look for ways to stay on the technology edge with the site and also make sure we have room to grow.

The perks for this particular one is that anytime someone mentions one of the books on the site, it will autolink them to a discussions on said book.

Wuducynn
09-26-2007, 10:58 AM
Gotcha. Just giving feedback! :cool:

Matt
09-26-2007, 10:59 AM
And I totally appreciate it. I tried to make a thread to explain the whole thing but I understand there is always questions after the fact.

Daghain
09-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Nope, change it back, please. Did you see the Towerpedia? It has the article and the thread directly underneath it. It looks really unprofessional, IMHO.

Matt
09-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Well there you go :D

Its one way or the other folks.

Daghain
09-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Figures. I vote for my way. :lol:

Seriously, I prefer the Towerpedia to have the more professional, "slicker" look - I think it distinguishes it from the threads. Also, since not all entries will have discussion threads, it may become confusing for the users.

Just my two cents. :D

Wuducynn
09-26-2007, 11:30 AM
http://www.coinfacts.com/two_cents/1868_two_cents_rev.jpg <--- Daghain's two cent piece.

Daghain
09-26-2007, 11:35 AM
Sweet. :D

As an alternate suggestion, we could put the Baronies threads back the way they were, and I could put a page for each book with synopsys and links to Tower Connections and thread location on the main Towerpedia list.

Wuducynn
09-26-2007, 11:38 AM
Or as another alternate suggestion we could just let Matt wreak havoc and ruin a perfectly good section of the message board with his nonsensical ideas?

MonteGss
09-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Or, we could just stop talking about The Dark Tower altogether as it isn't really that great of a book or series.

Wuducynn
09-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Or, we could just stop talking about The Dark Tower altogether as it isn't really that great of a book or series.

Monte's onto something with this...

Daghain
09-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Wow. Tough crowd. :rofl:

MonteGss
09-26-2007, 11:41 AM
:rofl:

Wuducynn
09-26-2007, 11:42 AM
I just wanted you to know Matt that even though there is all this criticism..at the end of the day I really do hate you. I hope you know that? :huglove:

Matt
09-26-2007, 01:25 PM
Seriously rough shit in here. :lol:

There is a very good reason why the discussion is the way it is, it has to do with autolinks so the format will stay the way it is. :grouphug:

If we don't like the actual discussion being associated with the article, I can change that back. :rock:

Daghain
09-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I'd rather you have to click on the discussion button in Towerpedia to see it, rather than just have it under the article.

Otherwise I'm happy. :D

MaraJShakespeare
09-27-2007, 03:52 PM
I'm not having any problems with this site yet (however, knowing my ancient, betamax piece of shit computer, I will), but for some reason, I can't access TDT.net at all. Every time I try, I get one of those 'cannot access this page' screens, which helpfully inform me that there is either a problem with the computer or with the site (duh). I'm not having any more trouble than usual getting to any other site; is TDT.net down for some reason? If anyone knows what's up here, please send me a PM. And to my friends here (you know who you are), I hope I'll be coming around here more in the near future, and that my long period of relative silence is almost over.

Matt
09-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Nice to see you back Mara.

As TDT.com is a totally independent site from TDT.net, not too sure on the problems over there.

I do know that they are widely reported though, so hopefully someday something will happen.

Really glad you aren't having a problem with this one though. :D

Randall Flagg
09-27-2007, 07:16 PM
The pages for the individual book discussion are neither intuitive, or simple.
TESTING new ideas does not mean the implementation of them universally.
I know there is a bit of repartee going on in this thread, but we will get nowhere fast by continuing.

Daghain
09-27-2007, 09:18 PM
If I get what you're saying, you think it's a pain to have to click on the book discussion, then again on the discussion thread, to get to the actual discussion thread.

Problem being, if we fix that, it totally screws up Towerpedia, making the discussion thread part of the entry. Which, in the words of Darkthoughts (totally spot-on, IMHO) amounts to seeing a final paper with notes attached. :D

Am I on the right page, or am I missing something?

MonteGss
09-28-2007, 03:20 AM
I understand it what you've said Daggers. I don't want Towerpedia to be changed at all since I too like the professional look to it. I do still wish it could be separate from The Baronies and not have a decision there affect Towerpedia. Oh well, I'll live. :)

BTW, when are we gonna have a sweet Book Search? :lol:

Matt
09-28-2007, 04:22 AM
TESTING new ideas does not mean the implementation of them universally.
I know there is a bit of repartee going on in this thread, but we will get nowhere fast by continuing.

You may have to elaborate a little here Jerome.

and yes, we will have a book search at some point.

Daghain
09-28-2007, 06:26 AM
Well Monte, if you would just start typing, we'd have a booksearch in no time. :lol:

Darkthoughts
09-28-2007, 06:28 AM
About that, does anyone know what it involves? Do we really need to type out the entire books?

Matt
09-28-2007, 06:31 AM
We can't actually, it is a copyright infringement. I believe the method Tyler used was to actually go through the books and physically type a line at a time. Naming each entry with its page number to organize it.

Like...

Page 193. Roland said to Jake "you must be a man" (that would be the first line on the page)
Page 193 As they walked away, Jake flipped him off behind his back (that would be the second line on the page)

and so on...

That would be the only way I could see that he set it up the way he did and I have a lot of experience with that sort of thing.

We would need to come up with a unique way to do it and I believe it could be done if we had a bunch of motivated people and years to work on it...like we do. :lol:

Darkthoughts
09-28-2007, 06:33 AM
Thats just the banal type of thing I enjoy (I'm sure I have an ocd :lol: ) I'll volunteer if you set up somewhere to get started.

MonteGss
09-28-2007, 03:38 PM
Well Monte, if you would just start typing, we'd have a booksearch in no time. :lol:

We would need to come up with a unique way to do it and I believe it could be done if we had a bunch of motivated people and years to work on it...like we do. :lol:

Thats just the banal type of thing I enjoy (I'm sure I have an ocd :lol: ) I'll volunteer if you set up somewhere to get started.

I could probably help out a bit. Nothing major but it sure would be cool not to have to visit other sites when I need a little booksearch help with trivia....um, not that I ever need help with them. :) :evil:

She-Oy
09-28-2007, 03:43 PM
I can help type anything, and I know Will would too, I think he's already volunteered once here.

Seriously, I'm doing nothing these days with the exception of a load of laundry and dishes here or there. Not sure how long my hiatus from worklife will last, but until I formally decide to start putting resumes out there, I can and will do whatever need be here.

I'm a pretty fast typer and accurate (65 wpm with 98&#37; accuracy..oh yeah babies!!!!)

So someone just let me know what to do and where to start.

Not to mention Will and I have about a 95% complete library of all King's works.

Matt
09-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Okay, I am going to put a poll with some options (once I figure them out) and we can vote on which one you guys would like to do.

I would love to get this rolling

She-Oy
09-28-2007, 04:23 PM
sounds fine to me!

Jean
10-01-2007, 01:35 AM
precisely

I won't now expand on why I don't like the new layout (I know I am very conservative, which most other people are not), but there's one thing that bothers me greatly: is the starter post supposed to disappear after someone goes on to "discussion"? Maybe it's only my broswer, or that I haven't yet fully understood how to use the new thing (only just back home from Prague), but I've checked Letti's new thread on Andy, and her first post just doesn't seem to be there when it is needed for reference in discussion.

Letti
10-01-2007, 04:00 AM
Welcome back dear Jean!! :rose:

And anyway the first post vanishes for everyone if they click on the discussion button (or just for you and me ;)).

Storyslinger
10-01-2007, 05:32 AM
Welcome back Jean

Daghain
10-01-2007, 07:28 AM
You are correct, Jean, the first post disappears when you click on discussion. If we fix that, we totally screw up Towerpedia. :(

Jean
10-01-2007, 07:34 AM
if we don't, we screw up discussion. Guys, I understand that cool is cool and you're doing titanic work and all that, and I appreciate it and am eternally grateful, but please, - not at the expense of discussion. It is absurd that the starter post is not seen. It ruins the very idea of a thread. Couldn't we please, please keep the -pedia stuff away from discussion? They are intrinsically different, and what is good for one is often not good for another.

P.S. Nikolett, I couldn't dream of anything better than seeing you greet me back after that period of absence! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gif And thank you Storyslinger! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Matt
10-01-2007, 07:56 AM
Nice to have you back Jean, hopefully your little time off was wonderful :couple:

As far as this goes, there is documentation on the site to explain it but I will throw it out here as well.

I would like to keep in mind that there are book discussions all over the site. The Baronies is just a specific spot to get information on the individual books themselves and see yet another graphic representation of the cover.

Also, this section of the site had very low traffic before I decided to make this change. No one was really using it except for about 4 threads in lets say...20 forums. So something needed to be done.

All the NuWiki product does is graphically represent the first post in a thread, it designates all other posts as "discussion". Like reading the first page of an article and then having to turn the page for the rest in a newspaper.

The first post becomes irrelevant because they are all the same in the discussion forums. A pic of the book, quick synopsis of what it the book is about and how to join the discussions.

The first posts in those threads are all the same--just a little different per book.

The idea is that people who are new to the site or the series can click into the Baronies, and then click any of the individual books for information and discussion on them. They can also choose to stop at the one they have read up to in the series and not get spoiled on the rest. That is not possible anywhere else on the site.

It also will create auto links to the book itself throughout the rest of the site.

If no one posts in there, then that is not much different than the forum was before, however, we will have a chance to test this new fuctionality and folks will be able to get used to the format so when they see the Towerpedia!, they have a little more experience on how to work in there.

Turning it off is easy, one click and its back to forums nice as you please but we are going to try it for a while. :grouphug:

Patrick
10-04-2007, 09:30 AM
If I understand the issue correctly, couldn't it be solved by merely making the second post an exact copy of the first? Then when the first post "disappears", it's twinner will show up and the discussion will be intact.

Matt
10-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Its something we could try but I'm not sure its necessary because its simply a graphic. There really isn't anything in the first post except that and some instructions.

I am up for whatever you guys think.

Daghain
10-04-2007, 09:35 AM
I don't think everyone is on the same page here. Or it's just me not reading for comprehension. :lol:

When you click on The Gunslinger, for example, you get the page with the graphic and text for the book. When you click below on one of the discussions, you get the first post only. THEN when you click on discussion you get the rest of the thread.

Is it making that first thread-starter post a graphic?

Matt
10-04-2007, 09:39 AM
Ah, okay. Now we are getting somewhere. You guys want to see the first post in the actual "article" (thread) that is in there?

Daghain
10-04-2007, 09:41 AM
DING DING DING DING!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!! :lol:

I thought maybe we weren't explaining it to you correctly. :D

Jean
10-04-2007, 09:43 AM
for example, this thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=943) hardly makes sense without the starter post

Matt
10-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Well that's the funny part, that is the first post. :lol:

Those articles (threads) were existing before I made the change and simply moved them there.

So here is what happens. You click into the forum for an individual book, you see all those great discussions below (threads). When you click on one, you get the first post in that thread.

This is actually quite relevant because new users to the site would get the benefit of the first post before deciding on posting in the discussion.

Then you click "discussion" and you are able to add to it.

Is that now how we want it because that little line about Andy is the very first post in that thread.

If we would like to change the first post to be a graphic or something then we can but my idea was character profiles would go in the Towerpedia!

Daghain
10-04-2007, 09:53 AM
I think I would leave it alone, unless you can make it so when someone clicks on a thread the whole thread shows up.

Unless, of course, that screws up Towerpedia. :lol:

ETA: I get it now. It's mimicing the Towerpedia threads. Article, then discussion. DUH. It thinks the first post is the article.

Some days it just takes that little extra caffeine. :D

Patrick
10-04-2007, 04:23 PM
for example, this thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=943) hardly makes sense without the starter post

... So here is what happens. You click into the forum for an individual book, you see all those great discussions below (threads). When you click on one, you get the first post in that thread.

This is actually quite relevant because new users to the site would get the benefit of the first post before deciding on posting in the discussion.

Then you click "discussion" and you are able to add to it. ...

... I get it now. It's mimicing the Towerpedia threads. Article, then discussion. DUH. It thinks the first post is the article. ...

All this brings us back to my suggestion as a solution (I think):

If I understand the issue correctly, couldn't it be solved by merely making the second post an exact copy of the first? Then when the first post "disappears", it's twinner will show up and the discussion will be intact.

Matt
10-04-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm just not sure its necessary Patrick because it would have to be done on every one of them, I can't automate that.

But the reader is reading the first post before they access the discussion so it actually is intact. Basically you see the first and then you can respond.

The one we are talking about is a very bad example because the person that started the thread said just that. If the first post was actually a comprehensive explanation of the discussion it would look a little better I think.

And Daggers...you are totally correct. Its the exact same thing. Same with the connections and soon to be catalog

Daghain
10-04-2007, 07:04 PM
Yep, the light finally came on. :lol: I see why it's doing that now. And I see why fixing it screwed up Towerpedia. :D

Jon
10-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Why can I not access the site in my oven's window?

Patrick
10-08-2007, 01:45 PM
That idea is half-baked!

Wuducynn
10-08-2007, 02:51 PM
*sigh* :rolleyes:

Randall Flagg
10-08-2007, 03:20 PM
You need an electric oven. The internet runs on electricity, not gas.

Patrick
10-08-2007, 04:07 PM
You need an electric oven. The internet runs on electricity, not gas.
I'm pretty certain Jon's oven is heated by a little light bulb. His tiny cakes sure are good though.

http://z.about.com/d/toys/1/7/3/7/Easy-Bake-Oven.jpg

Jon
10-08-2007, 08:28 PM
So it has noting to do with the fact that I had it tinted?

MonteGss
10-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Matt and team. I just went into the Baronies for The Dark Tower. The picture for the main page (bookcover of book 7) is not working. Thought you should know. :)

Matt
10-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks so much Monte, it is a glitch with the wiki. All anyone has to do to fix it when they see it is click "edit" and then save with out changing anything.

I am dealing with support to fix the issue now.

MonteGss
10-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Oh, cool. I will keep that in mind if ever I come across something similar. :)

MonteGss
10-10-2007, 10:52 AM
Matt, I came across the same thing in the Song of Susannah main page. There doesn't appear to be an Edit button at the bottom for me to "fix" it. *shrugs*

Matt
10-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Had it protected, give it a try now Monte :D

This issue is supposed to be fixed in the next release.

MonteGss
10-10-2007, 11:01 AM
:thumbsup:
You rule!

Daghain
10-19-2007, 06:23 AM
Did the site go down for anyone else last night? It died around 11pm MST for me and was still down when I went to bed 12:30.

Matt
10-19-2007, 06:24 AM
I was long gone by then but I have had a few messages about random updates on our shared server.

Daghain
10-19-2007, 06:32 AM
Ah, maybe that was it, then. It was a bummer 'cause it kicked me out of chat. Oh well, seems fine now. :lol:

Jon
10-19-2007, 06:58 AM
Yeah I was kicked out of chat but not the site. I thought I had offended some one. I figured I'd better cut back on the sheep jokes.
Then the site cut off while I was posting a riddle. As Zone was in chat and the Mod of Riddles I assumed I had pissed him off by taking all of his sheep for my lustful pleasures.

sarah
10-19-2007, 07:20 AM
yeah I was in chat last night and then couldn't get back in. I tried to refresh my page and the site went down completely for me. Then this morning, my computer wouldn't even let me on the internet. :panic:

Daghain
10-19-2007, 07:43 AM
:lol:

Jean
10-19-2007, 09:35 AM
and I was one very mad bear http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_angry.gif because I had gotten used to starting my day with all those "14000 Unread Posts since your last visit" that accumulate during the night

sarajean
10-23-2007, 02:22 PM
what's going on with the slots? it will take my money, but then they just keep spinning and spinning.

Jorge
10-23-2007, 02:26 PM
It's trying to build up the suspense, SJ. Be patient. :P

Matt
10-23-2007, 02:30 PM
what's going on with the slots? it will take my money, but then they just keep spinning and spinning.

Hmmm...I haven't messed with the slots in the casino much. I will run some tests on it.

If it took your money, I can refund it. :couple:

Matt
10-23-2007, 02:34 PM
Well shit, they do just spin and spin :lol:

I asked the coder about it, we'll see what he says.

Matt
10-23-2007, 03:00 PM
He came right on and figured it out. Should be fixed now.

sarajean
10-23-2007, 03:46 PM
sweet. it was only a $5 chip. no worrries. :)

Erin
10-23-2007, 05:33 PM

:lol: I'm glad it happened to someone else too. Yesterday I tried to play the slots and hit every single button on my keyboard to try and stop it. I thought I was just dumb and couldn't figure it out.

sarajean
10-23-2007, 06:28 PM
it happened to me originally yesterday, and then i did a search to see if it was happening to anyone else. i thought i was lame cos no one else had complained.

erin---> :couple: <---sj

sarajean
10-25-2007, 06:28 PM
ninja slots have the same problem. :(

Matt
10-25-2007, 07:07 PM
That one is next on my list :rock:

sarajean
10-25-2007, 07:09 PM
i was all excited about them, too.

"OOOH!!! ninja slots?! :ninja:"

thanks for being on top of things, matt. :huglove:

Matt
10-26-2007, 08:48 AM
I think I have ninja slots stopping now :nana:

Brice
10-26-2007, 08:53 AM
It stops at precisely the same spot every time. I would be fine with that if it were a spot which paid me, but it is not. :(

Matt
10-26-2007, 08:55 AM
Hmmm...I got a pay out the time I tried it. Bet a buck, won a buck

I'll keep looking

Brice
10-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Okay, I just figured I'd mention it since I tried it about twenty times and got the exact same thing.

Randall Flagg
10-26-2007, 10:08 AM
Site is slow, or pages won't load at this time.

Daghain
10-26-2007, 10:17 AM
Yep. :cry:

Matt
10-26-2007, 10:55 AM
I was at lunch, seems fine now no?

We will always have those 5 min (maybe once a week) where they are doing stuff. :nana:

Daghain
10-26-2007, 11:02 AM
Seems okay now. Generally when I'm at work I blame our server. :lol:

sarajean
10-26-2007, 12:57 PM
the top of my screen says this: Private Messages: Unread 1, Total 189.

but there's nothing new in my inbox, and i can't make it go away.

Matt
10-26-2007, 02:25 PM
Did you make sure you went through all of your messages to see if any are bold? If there is one in there that you have not opened, that will remain. :couple:

sarajean
10-26-2007, 02:47 PM
last night before i left it was fine. i've gone through all pages, and there are none that are unread. i'm about to go on a deleting binge.

sarajean
10-26-2007, 02:53 PM
i think this is the problem...a mysterious invisible ghost PM that was sent 37 years ago.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/sarajeanm/untitled-27.jpg

i don't know what it is, but it's the only thing that's left in my inbox. i'm buhleeting it.

:eta: done. the problem is fixed.

Darkthoughts
10-26-2007, 03:03 PM
Matt - is this and the imaginary people that turned up in chat the ghosts you were on about? :D

Matt
10-26-2007, 03:06 PM

I have no idea on the people but I do know that it sometimes sticks user ids in there if they visit and leave. Then when someone shows up, it knocks them off.

Doesn't sound like that was it but its a great example of how glitchy it is. I may pay for a good one someday if we start using it a lot, I haven't been real pleased with the thing. <_<

Daghain
10-26-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm having problems getting that new thread to be a sticky in the Art Contest. I clicked to sticky, and it flat out refuses. :angry:

Matt
10-26-2007, 04:59 PM
I stickied one of them, did you want them both?

Try check marking on the far right outside the thread, just looking at it in the forum and then "stick thread" at the bottom options.

Daghain
10-26-2007, 05:53 PM
I got nothin'. :(

But yeah, I need both of them stickied. Can you fix that for me? :wub:

Jon
11-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Matt will "stick" anything!

Darkthoughts
11-18-2007, 06:03 AM
This is more a query than a problem - I just didn't want to start a new thread. What is the purpose of the "buddy list" function in the user cp? I thought, as I know other members have, that it was to help speed up finding someone when you wanted to pm them - but you can't click on their name from your buddy list. All it seems to do is put a + mark by someone's name on the online list.

Matt
11-18-2007, 08:27 AM
I would have to research that a bit Lisa. I believe it is turned off for the site but it may just not be "fully enabled"

I think the idea is for big boards with a huge amount of membership (there are vbulletin boards with millions of members and 1000's active daily), the buddy list would allow someone to keep track of people they know well kind of like myspace does.

Wuducynn
11-18-2007, 08:45 AM
I would have to research that a bit Lisa. I believe it is turned off for the site but it may just not be "fully enabled"

I think the idea is for big boards with a huge amount of membership (there are vbulletin boards with millions of members and 1000's active daily), the buddy list would allow someone to keep track of people they know well kind of like myspace does.

Yep, I can confirm that. Thats a feature thats on several other message boards I belong to.

Matt
11-18-2007, 08:51 AM
Thanks Matthew :D

I'll see what it does and provide a description of it. Then we'll decide if we need it out here yet.

Wuducynn
11-19-2007, 06:20 AM
No problem. It would be great if we got to the point where we would. :cool:

Jon
11-19-2007, 06:23 AM
This way I can eliminate All Hail's posts? :clap: :lol: :lol:

Wuducynn
11-19-2007, 06:26 AM
Right-on! :harrier:

Daghain
11-20-2007, 07:00 PM
Just FYI, I was getting a database error for about a half hour and couldn't get on the site. :cry:

Spencer
11-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Same here, this stuff happens now and then with boards. It usually gets cleared up pretty quick.

Daghain
11-20-2007, 07:19 PM
Yeah, annoying but not fatal. :lol:

Ruki
11-20-2007, 07:45 PM
that sucked!

ZoNeSeeK
11-20-2007, 07:48 PM
yes it did! :) i sent matt an email about it - you can ignore matt :)

Ruki
11-20-2007, 07:57 PM
hush traitor! no one can ignore matt.

:P

Matt
11-20-2007, 08:04 PM

The database error happened to me right around 630pm and I was on support with them off and on till House started.

I am so glad its back. The site is on a shared server and the entire thing had a problem so we weren't the only ones effected.

Really glad its back :grouphug:

Daghain
11-20-2007, 08:06 PM
Well, in light of .net, I think we are all a little paranoid. :lol:

Matt
11-20-2007, 08:07 PM
I was shitting bricks let me tell you. :cool:

But I am going to make sure systems and back ups are all in place and keep on steaming into the night.

Daghain
11-20-2007, 08:08 PM
But hey, at least when there's an outage you're right on it.

And we appreciate that, man. :wub:

Ruki
11-20-2007, 08:11 PM
shit bricks steaming in the night keep the site safe :)

Daghain
11-20-2007, 08:12 PM
So that's the secret. :lol:

sarajean
11-20-2007, 08:19 PM
it said that it sent the support team a notification about it. i wonder how many notifications were received?

Ruki
11-20-2007, 08:51 PM
at least 15 because of me :) when i get any error i try to log on again and again till it works

Patrick
11-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Hey, so is the site not working a lot today?

Patrick
11-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I had this problem earlier today and then just a bit ago.

Should this thread be merged into the "Site Problems" thread, by the way?

Daghain
11-20-2007, 09:42 PM
That would be the general consensus. :(

Daghain
11-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Probably not a bad idea. I was looking for that thread earlier and couldn't find it, so I started this one. I can move it. :D

Patrick
Yeah, I just saw the other thread. I smell a merge comin' on.

fernandito
I just had this problem as well.

Daghain
11-20-2007, 09:44 PM
You're just stoned, feev. :lol:

Daghain
11-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Either I'm doing something wrong, or I can't move it. :angry:

Daghain
11-20-2007, 09:47 PM
Well, I moved it, but I can't merge it. HMMMMMM.

Daghain
11-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Well, I can't figure out how to do it. I moved the other thread here, but can't merge. I wonder if I'm missing a superpower. :lol:

Patrick
11-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Well, I can't figure out how to do it. I moved the other thread here, but can't merge. I wonder if I'm missing a superpower. :lol:
:lol: I can't do it myself either. Maybe if we touch our power rings together...

Patrick
11-20-2007, 09:56 PM
So close. So close and yet so far away.

Daghain
11-20-2007, 09:57 PM
I know. It's really quite sad. :(

Daghain
11-20-2007, 09:57 PM
:lol: Time to hit the facilitator's forum! That's where the power really lies, apparently! :D

Patrick
11-20-2007, 10:08 PM
I'd correct the spelling in your post, but I have no power to edit. :angry:

Daghain
11-20-2007, 10:09 PM
Wow, that was bad. Firefox even underlined it and everything. :lol:

Must be past my bedtime.

ZoNeSeeK
11-21-2007, 02:10 PM
Argh, both times the database went offline I was trying to post long-ish posts :)

Matt
11-21-2007, 02:16 PM
I was trying to set up a new user group and was just done when it went. <_<

HostRocket got the brunt of that though :lol:

Jean
11-22-2007, 12:34 AM
Argh, both times the database went offline I was trying to post long-ish posts :)
the experience of .net taught me to always copy the text before I hit the equivalent of "send" button, if what I'm trying to post is of any considerable length.

Jon
11-22-2007, 01:44 AM
My wife says the lengh doesn't matter as much as the girth.

Matt
11-22-2007, 07:11 AM
the experience of .net taught me to always copy the text before I hit the equivalent of "send" button, if what I'm trying to post is of any considerable length.

Hopefully folks won't have to worry about not being able to post that often. :lol:

But always a good practice with the long ones for sure

ZoNeSeeK
11-22-2007, 06:08 PM
I managed to be able to save what i was typing so it was all good.

Jon: Level of "site preparation" is directly related to width :)