PDA

View Full Version : Question on an old site i remember

doncissiero
08-11-2009, 08:42 AM
Didn;t know where to put this thread so i chose here..

But my question is if anyone remembers a site where you could type a word in, and it showed all the spots it showed up in each of the dark tower books....??

Daghain
08-11-2009, 08:46 AM
I believe that was on thedarktower.net, which isn't around anymore.

Matt
08-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Yep, it was his book search. We have had a couple of attempts to create something like that going and it is really a hard thing.

In my research, I found out that Tyler literally hand typed the books into that search, he used a method of html paging that made it so it could never be printed all together. It was never even finished because once the last three came out, it was too daunting. I would think in today's climate (because he did that back in the old days), you would really only be able to do something like that if you could get exclusive permission from Kings office and then use Tylers method of sectioning so there was no way it could be reproduced in it's entirety.

Jon
08-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Oddly enough, the word "innagadadavida" does not appear in the series.

Woofer
08-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Yep, it was his book search. We have had a couple of attempts to create something like that going and it is really a hard thing.

In my research, I found out that Tyler literally hand typed the books into that search, he used a method of html paging that made it so it could never be printed all together. It was never even finished because once the last three came out, it was too daunting. I would think in today's climate (because he did that back in the old days), you would really only be able to do something like that if you could get exclusive permission from Kings office and then use Tylers method of sectioning so there was no way it could be reproduced in it's entirety.

Well, it could be done, but it would be a real PITA. I speak from experience because I've had to construct complete paper copies of technical manuals (TMs) that were "web sites" so that I could then convert them to xml, Word, or other desktop publishing program and be certain that I didn't miss any parts of the manual. As a matter of fact, I'm extracting data from an html TM and posting it into an xml version right now.

However, I'm pretty sure Sai King wouldn't want that.