PDA

View Full Version : Real quick, stupid even, question on fot-suls?

doncissiero
08-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Fot-suls?? i mean im assuming its rolands take on fossils when jake says it.but when they describe them it don;t sound like what fossils are...

"To the gunlsinger the clumps of fot-suls looked like the captive tubes of swamp gas sometimes sold for a pretty at the feast of reaptide fair....."

Doesn;t sound like fossils to me. So what are they talking about

ola
08-10-2009, 09:55 PM
That's a good question. Based on the word I thought it just meant "fossils", but then I always thought that "swamp gas/swamp fire" was anything that resembled neon or fluorescent lights..I think I'm missing a connection here.

Bev Vincent
08-11-2009, 02:18 AM
How about "photo cells"?

ola
08-11-2009, 07:55 AM
Oh yeah, in context that might make more sense.

I thought photo cells are the little components that detect light...but maybe the word's used for the lights themselves too.

flaggwalkstheline
08-11-2009, 07:56 AM
I thought they meant those to be sea shell fossils which when placed under the right light can shine in all sorts of colors...

douglasesper
11-06-2009, 09:58 PM
to me it seemed like another way to tie in the gunslinger story with the lord of the rings stories. if you think about the path through the mountain it shadows many plot points as the fellowships journey through the caves of the dwarves...maybe the glowing is a shout out to the Mithril the fellowship sees glowing inside the cave. very soon after roland and jake encounter the slow muties..just as the fellowship is attacked and in the end before either group can escape they face one final obstacle on shaky ground and a key person falls to there supposed death...
doug