PDA

View Full Version : Question about man in black *spoilers

doncissiero
08-10-2009, 08:30 PM
now walter, man in black, is also marten. so why does the argument in TDOTT say that marten was a greater sorcerer than walter.Arent they the same person...A few other times in this book they also speak as if they are two diff men....

PS: ive only read the first two book, so no spoilers please :) thanks...just say read on if i have too lol.

Another thing i found funny was during the ending conversation with the man in black and roland, at the end of gunslinger....during the convo the man in black states(part of sub-chapter IV) "i made your father and i broke him", the man in blaxk said grimly."i came to your mother as marten-theres a truth you always suspected, is it not?-and took her"......then in sub chapter VII he says that a man reminded you of marten, in which roland replies..."YOu marten never left at all"...so roland at that point just realizes it was the same guy??..didn;t the man in black already tell him lol...Is this just a written mistake??

Brainslinger
08-19-2009, 07:42 AM
Stephen King changed his mind as to the relation between Walter and Marten later on. I imagine you've read the revised version of The Gunslinger which contains his updated view. (I.e. originally they were envisioned as seperate beings, later the same.) Drawing of the Three-Wizard and Glass follows his original view of the nature of Walter/Marten, Wolves of the Calla onwards the latter view. That's not really a spoiler because he rewrote The Gunslinger to fit with the later books.

As for that later dialogue with Walter.... um, yeah I see what you mean. I think you could read it as the information concerning Walter/Marten taking a while to sink in...

Letti
08-19-2009, 08:01 AM
King didn't change his mind... he didn't know it, either. ;)

Brainslinger
08-20-2009, 07:11 AM
King didn't change his mind... he didn't know it, either. ;)

Actually... yeah. That's more accurate. Following the excavation metaphor he refers to in his On Writing book, he had dug up more information later.

doncissiero
09-01-2009, 01:34 PM
yeah, makes sense now. Thanks guys..... But one other thing

In the argument for The Wastelands. it states in the second paragraph that walter falsely claimed the friendship of roland's father in the days when the unity of mid-world still held....Then in the 4th paragraph it once again states Marten was a greater sorcerer......

I was thinking that walter falsely claimed his fathers friendship was talking about marten..
Why was that stated?? since you said SK had changed his idea in the last three books?

doncissiero
09-01-2009, 01:55 PM
also in the argument is another time it states that letting jake chambers fall in the first book is rolands second most agonizing choice in his life....With me reading only the first two books and on the third, i haven;t read about the most agonizing choice in his life have I?? Please no spoilers, if i need to read on then tell me....THanks

Brainslinger
09-06-2009, 11:21 AM
also in the argument is another time it states that letting jake chambers fall in the first book is rolands second most agonizing choice in his life....With me reading only the first two books and on the third, i haven;t read about the most agonizing choice in his life have I?? Please no spoilers, if i need to read on then tell me....THanks

Read on. ;)

doncissiero
09-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Will do and thanks! lol