PDA

View Full Version : The One That Got Away

tippy4
07-21-2009, 08:41 PM
I hereby start this thread as a place to whine about all those cool Stephen King collectables that you missed out on. Whether you got sniped at the last minute, or missed out on something all together, this is the place to come and find a shoulder to cry on.

I will begin.....

Today, I was about to bid on a signed first edition of The Girl Who loved Tom Gordon inscribed to Richard (my name) when my computer froze up :onfire:. One minute after the auction ended, it unfroze, and sold for $81.01!

So not only did I miss a book inscribed to me, but it went super cheap. On top of that, I do not have a signed 1st edition of this book in my collection.

Here is the auction link.....Inscribed TGWLTG (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300330295512)

:arg:

Gris
07-21-2009, 11:18 PM
Tippy, did you have any concerns about the legitimacy since the inscription and sig are different writing implements? That seems very unusual to me.

biomieg
07-22-2009, 12:29 AM
Oh yeah! I have one from a while ago... a UK proof of Cujo which was sniped out of my hands. And another one that comes to mind is a UK 1st/1st of The Stand (the 1979 version), on which I got outbid by a few meager bucks... this one stung me in particular!

jhanic
07-22-2009, 03:57 AM
Rick, looking at that signature, I have some doubts about its authenticity. It just doesn't look right. I think you should be glad you missed out on that one!

John

Dolan
07-22-2009, 04:44 AM
ugh - i posted this before, but I lost the lettered Joe Hill Thumbprint because i accidentally cancelled my bid snipe literally moments before.

It sold for $200 less than I would have paid. Still bummed about this. Just more annoyed at myself for not paying attention!!! :panic:

e_taylor
07-22-2009, 04:59 AM
Not a King book, but I once passed up a shot at a signed ARC of "Cutthroat" by Michael Slade.

Its so rare, that Slade himself didn't know it existed until it was presented to him at a signing.

I was at work when it ended, and it sold for something like $35.

Pasiuk57
07-22-2009, 05:49 AM
I'm going to list a signed Lettered Thumbprint by Joe Hill Letter "L" for $650 on Sunday, if anyone is interested. It would be the cheapest on Ebay.....
Mike

wizardsrainbow
07-22-2009, 05:58 AM
Not a King book, but I once passed up a shot at a signed ARC of "Cutthroat" by Michael Slade.

Its so rare, that Slade himself didn't know it existed until it was presented to him at a signing.

:doh: :cry: Sorry Eric. What a sweet book for your admirable Slade collection.

tippy4
07-22-2009, 05:58 AM
Rick, looking at that signature, I have some doubts about its authenticity. It just doesn't look right. I think you should be glad you missed out on that one!

John

I was not thrilled about the marker signature, but I am 99% sure it is legit.

wizardsrainbow
07-22-2009, 05:59 AM
Hey Mike!!! Nice to see you around. How's life?

e_taylor
07-22-2009, 07:07 AM

:doh: :cry: Sorry Eric. What a sweet book for your admirable Slade collection.

Yah, I wasn't collecting his proofs at that point, but it was still a neat item that I wanted. It has grown over the last few years into an extremely regretful loss. I know the guy who owns it, but he ain't giving it up. :nope:

Rahfa
07-22-2009, 10:45 AM
At first thought, I figured that I'd have a few examples...but then I gave it some thought, and long-term I don't think I have any regrets.

I do wish I'd spent $500 on a "Dreams of my Father" 1st edition in time to have Obama sign it at an event I met him at...I got books signed, but it's not the same.

And I wish I had NOT spent $400 for a John Kerry s/l Easton edition that I couldn't sell for $25 today...or the $400 on three John McCain s/l editions...wrong horse both times...haha...

But as for 'one that got away' SK books...I can't think of a single one that still haunts me...if I wanted it, I got it...

jhanic
07-22-2009, 11:09 AM
For me, there have been two--proofs, of course.

The first was a number of years ago when the grey UK proof of Bag of Bones went up for auction. I just couldn't justify the price it was up to, and I figured that another would eventually show up. I was wrong.

The second was just a little while ago, in which kacod (Kyle) out-bid me for the proof of the trade Stephen King Goes to the Movies. Again, I figured another would show up, but nothing yet.

John

kacod
07-25-2009, 09:23 AM
John,
If I ever see another I will point you to it, you have my word.
Maybe you'll trade me the Cell proof? Ha!

--kyle.

jhanic
07-25-2009, 09:28 AM
As Al Borland on Home Improvement would say: "I don't think so..." :)

John

kacod
07-25-2009, 09:36 AM
My story is I was just getting REALLY serious about getting the early first editions, and I had a beautiful copy of a first Shining all but in my hands. I didn't know what sniping was - I'm looking at my bid, I'm way up, 5..4..3..2..1...You have been outbid!.....Sorry you did not win the item. Ruined.My.Freakin.DAY! Now, sad to say I do it to other people.

But don't you guys get ticked when you see something you want, I mean you KNOW you are going to go after it, and these two IDIOTS are battling each other, driving up the price, just so they can be the high bidder with 6 days, 4 hours left in the auction? This helped me understand why people snipe - mainly so as not to drive the price up by bidding early. That is why I usually wait very late to bid (altho that cost me a pink Talisman proof once, the seller pulled the item, and could do so because there were no bids). So it can bite ya....

jhanic
07-25-2009, 09:48 AM
That is why I usually wait very late to bid (altho that cost me a pink Talisman proof once, the seller pulled the item, and could do so because there were no bids). So it can bite ya....

Kyle, when that happens, you might want to contact the seller to see if he's willing to sell you the book anyway. I've done this a few times and been successful occasionally. (Sometimes he's already sold the book off-line and that's why he pulled the auction.)

John

kacod
07-25-2009, 10:15 AM
That is exactly what the guy had done, sold it to a friend. I did ask him about it, because in his description he said something about not contacting him to end it early, going to the highest bidder, blah blah. The guy told me alot of people contacted him about it (ending it early) but went on to complain that it had been up 3 or 4 days with no bids. I guess everyone who wanted to take a shot at it was waiting as late as they could, and the seller got nervous.

wizardsrainbow
08-10-2009, 01:54 AM
So, I think this qualifies...

I had a snipe in on Greg's Sphere Gunslinger proof at $1,455.55. The final price was $1,436.11. My snipe site gave me an explanation that the bid increment between the final price and my higher bid was not quite large enough to submit my bid. How do you like that one! :cry:

So, did anyone here win that auction?

turtlex
08-10-2009, 02:59 AM
Oh, David, that completely stinks! I've never heard of that happening before. Lousy luck!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-10-2009, 03:19 AM
So, did anyone here win that auction?

The gentleman from Amarillo.

Pasiuk57
08-10-2009, 03:48 AM
Normally David your bid should have worked but perhaps Bob had a higher reserve which also makes no sense.....
weird

herbertwest
10-20-2010, 06:12 AM
I cannot believe that i missed a french ARC of Bag of Bones on ebay!
I noticed today that a french guy did put on his website a picture of it, saying it came in his mailbox today.

He told me he got it from ebay, 12e...
i am very pissed as i am looking for it since couple of years and i thought there was only 1 known copy... and it wasnt in my alerts! Need to find what the ebay auction looked like... :cry:

Pasiuk57
10-20-2010, 07:22 AM
I can not for the life of me understand how I missed the UK proof of Different Seasons on Bett's website. Whoever got it if they want to sell it ever-think of me!

biomieg
10-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Same here, Mike. I thought I was early with my email and the UK DIFFERENT SEASONS was definitely on my shopping list but it wasn't meant to be.

carlosdetweiller
10-20-2010, 11:25 AM
I can not for the life of me understand how I missed the UK proof of Different Seasons on Bett's website. Whoever got it if they want to sell it ever-think of me!

I happened to be on my computer the afternoon David started listing the most recent consignment. I noticed only a few listings so I started hitting refresh every two or three minutes and watched the list grow. As soon as I saw something I wanted I sent an e-mail. I got about four nice items including the UK DIFFERENT SEASONS proof.

biomieg
10-20-2010, 11:37 AM
That's great Bob! When I saw the listing for the first time David had uploaded the items up to and including PET SEMATARY I think, and I sent my email about 5 minutes later but I had no way of knowing which items had already been spoken for. I ended up changing my shopping list a bit and now I also have four nice items coming, all on layaway.

What other items did you get, Bob? If you don't mind sharing of course.

carlosdetweiller
10-20-2010, 11:45 AM
What other items did you get, Bob? If you don't mind sharing of course.

Nothing too rare besides the UK DIFFERENT SEASONS proof. I got the signed and dated (11/8/83) copy of PET SEMATARY, the yellow THE TALISMAN proof and the UK INSOMNIA proof. Upgrades mostly.

biomieg
10-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Sounds good though (the UK INSOMNIA proof was also on my wishlist but I'm always happy when a book I missed out on at least ends up 'in The Corner').

I have the DANSE MACABRE proof, the DIFFERENT SEASONS Viking proof, the SKELETON CREW Putnam proof, and the THINNER NEL proof on layaway. They will fill some important (at least to me) holes in my collection!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Nothing on that list is on my wants list :cry:

wizardsrainbow
10-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Nothing on that list is on my wants list :cry:

Cause you own damn near everything dude! :drool:

biomieg
10-21-2010, 03:21 AM
Not even the lettered THE STAND?

e_taylor
10-21-2010, 03:33 AM
Not even the lettered THE STAND?

I don't think that one is particularly scarce. Just expensive. And cost doesn't seem to be a factor with the Rabbit! :P

biomieg
10-21-2010, 03:55 AM
Yes, that's why I asked. I don't think Alan has a lettered THE STAND yet and he's desperately looking to buy stuff, so.... ;)

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-21-2010, 07:14 AM
What you don't know wont hurt you. ;)

biomieg
10-21-2010, 07:49 AM
You speak in tongues, Rabbit! This lowly Dutchman does not understand you.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
10-21-2010, 08:14 AM
David is too tired to update his website!

biomieg
10-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Sudden understanding dawns upon me!

jhanic
10-22-2010, 03:06 PM
I just heard from my UK contact regarding the UK proof of Full Dark, No Stars. Apparently he was sent a copy but, because Hodder had not updated his address after he moved 20 months ago, it was never delivered. It's out in limbo now. I'm still looking for a copy.

John

shnnrc01
10-23-2010, 12:45 AM
john,ouch!!!

surly
01-03-2011, 11:27 AM
It has to have been 10 years or more, but I've always wondered about this one:

Way back in my early days of collecting, Stu listed a unique item on the Betts site that he described as a green, leather bound copy of IT. In the description, he admitted that he didn't know exactly what it was but he speculated that author copies are often presneted this way. He further suggested that Mr. King did not have an author's copy of this particular book (you do the math)

The idea of owning such a copy of one of my favorite books fascinated me but alas the price of $400 was way beyond my means at the time. None-the-less, I've never stopped thinking about it; any chance someone here picked it up and did you ever find out what exactly it was?

carlosdetweiller
01-03-2011, 11:44 AM
I think I might know who has that. I'll contact him and see if it is the same one.

Bev Vincent
01-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Yes, I'm the one who got it. I contacted King at the time to see if it was an author's copy that he didn't have. He told me that it was probably one that the publisher had rebound to give to people within the company. The book smells wonderful and looks great on the shelf. although it has a few scrape marks on the cover. Here are some photos:

http://www.bevvincent.com/images/it.jpg

jhanic
01-03-2011, 01:01 PM
In a slipcase, no less! Beautiful.

John

biomieg
01-03-2011, 01:10 PM
Nice! By the way, Bev... isn't it about time to start a collection thread? ;)

Bev Vincent
01-03-2011, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't even know where to start. My collection is eclectic and poorly organized, I'm afraid.

biomieg
01-03-2011, 01:23 PM
I would be more than happy to see a couple of pics of your bookcases/shelves though. I always love to get a glimpse of what other book lovers read and what they have in their collection!

surly
01-03-2011, 02:37 PM
I think I might know who has that. I'll contact him and see if it is the same one.

You sir, are a star for following up.

Bev- thanks so much for posting a pic; I'm still sad I missed it, but a 10+ year old mystery is finally put to bed for me. It's even nicer than I imagined it.

Anyone else have a story they want to share about one that got away?

carlosdetweiller
01-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Anyone else have a story they want to share about one that got away?

When I was in medical school I once dated this nursing student......oh, wait.......you're talking about books aren't you? Never mind.

Patrick
01-03-2011, 11:58 PM
:rofl:

Love the book, Bev! Any idea how many of those were produced?

Bev Vincent
01-04-2011, 03:09 AM
It's the only one I know about. If there were more, the number is probably quite small.

shibus
01-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Anyone remember anything about this one? Dark Descent. Published by TOR in 1987. I remember it being being signed by quite a few of the authors including Steve and it sold for quite a few $$$. More than I could muster at the time. I believe most of the signatures were on the FFEP.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/shibus/darkdescent.jpg

Room 217 Caretaker
01-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Anyone remember anything about this one? Dark Descent. Published by TOR in 1987. I remember it being being signed by quite a few of the authors including Steve and it sold for quite a few $$$. More than I could muster at the time. I believe most of the signatures were on the FFEP.

I love this place. You learn something new everyday. Yes, I know this book. King had three stories in it "The Reach" , "The Monkey", and "Crouch End" but I never knew a signed limited of it was done. Wow!

Edit: Go ahead Greg, show me the picture of it. Make me drool.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

shibus
01-04-2011, 10:34 AM
Hey Ralph, It wasn't done in a Limited. Just a trade First with a ton of Signatures, including Steve's.

Room 217 Caretaker
01-04-2011, 10:45 AM

I love this place. You learn something new everyday. Yes, I know this book. King had three stories in it "The Reach" , "The Monkey", and "Crouch End" but I never knew a signed limited of it was done. Wow!

Edit: Go ahead Greg, show me the picture of it. Make me drool.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Hey Ralph, It wasn't done in a Limited. Just a trade First with a ton of Signatures, including Steve's.

Oh! Got it. Still Wow! What a great book to have signed. I can't imagine many of these existing though.

I've seen a few copies signed by a couple authors or editors but not one with all the sigs.

Randall Flagg
01-04-2011, 10:50 AM
Did the publisher obtain all the signatures, or were they gathered at some event?

shibus
01-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Not sure where or when it was signed. Just remember it on Ebay quite some time ago.

namelessnpoor
01-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Once, a long time ago, before i really started collecting King. I came across a S/L Christine in an Orlando book store while I was in the Navy. It was just filed on the shelf along with othr King books. Asking price of right around $200 I believe.....I thought about it for a while and then left it there !!!! If i only knew................

biomieg
01-04-2011, 01:05 PM
I like this thread, but shouldn't it be merged with this one? http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?8867-The-One-That-Got-Away

Patrick
01-04-2011, 01:13 PM
I like this thread, but shouldn't it be merged with this one? http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?8867-The-One-That-Got-Away

That explains my sense of deja vu on the thread title. Thank you. The threads are now merged.

carlosdetweiller
01-04-2011, 02:23 PM
In 1983 I was moving from Tacoma, WA to El Paso, TX. I took a longer route and went through Los Angeles for a few reasons but one reason was to go to The Book Sail owned by John McLaughlin. I had reserved by phone a S/L FIRESTARTER for $350 which was really a lot of money back then. I was going to pick it up in person. When I got there I saw all sorts of stuff I wanted. I saw these strange green booklets called THE PLANT. There were only two at that time. Part III wasn't done yet. These were inscribed, not the unsigned ones. He wanted $400 for the pair. Wow, I thought, that's a lot of money! What I really remember was the lettered, asbestos edition of FIRESTARTER. I had only heard of the numbered edition. Didn't even know a lettered edition existed. (Did I even know of lettered editions back then? I don't think so.) Priced at $2000. It might as well have been priced ten times that. No way I could afford it (although it did briefly cross my mind to charge it to my credit card). I should have bought it even though there would have been hell to pay when I met back up with my wife.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-04-2011, 02:34 PM
It hurts too much to think about the SK bargains I passed up in the past. (OUCH! OUCH! Quit thinking!..ok...OUCH!...darn it...)

Randall Flagg
01-04-2011, 02:40 PM
Even before The Stand S/L, as I was a beginner King collector-trades!, there was an estate auction in May 1986, San Francisco, Ca and a lettered Firestarter was on the list. At the time I couldn't justify (to myself-I was going through a divorce) the princely amount of $2,250 that the book sold for.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-05-2011, 02:29 AM
That's not so bad, I passed up an asbestos FIRESTARTER that was going for $400.

carlosdetweiller
01-05-2011, 04:24 AM
That's not so bad, I passed up an asbestos FIRESTARTER that was going for $400.

Wow! When and where was this?

That is not much more than the publication price of $300 (I think that's right). From what I have heard Phantasia Press had trouble selling all of the 26 lettered asbestos copies. People just weren't that interested at the time and the price was considered too high. I think John McLaughlin stepped in and bought several copies for his store The Book Sail.

ur2ndbiggestfan
01-05-2011, 02:44 PM
When the asbestos book was published I tried like hell to get one, but to no avail, so I sort of gave up. I actually knew, and still know, the book dealer who suggested the whole idea of the book to Phantasia Press. Then when it was offered for $400 I thought that was highway robbery and said no thanks. The month FIRESTARTER was released by Phantasia, I was at a local convention, and I remember PILES of the limited edition sitting on their dealer's table. I mean, there must have been 50 or more sitting there at the original price. I already had one, so why buy another? As soon as I invent my time machine I'm going back and giving my younger self some book buying advice.

Rahfa
01-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Haha...but that's what makes it collectible today. The reason the s/l editions today do not climb in value is because everybody buys and hoards them...who knows what happened to those 50 copies you saw - probably lost in moves, ruined in the sun, sitting in a storage locker.

Meantime, people today hang on to a copy of "Borderlands 5" like grim death, but nobody needs a copy because they already got one.

Stockerlone
01-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Some years before, someone offered me all signed limited German Edition Phantasia Clive Barker Books of Blood with the same number :idea: for ... arround 350 euro. Normaly one of them costīs arround 100+ euro, and all with the same NR are NEVER EVER for sale...
But some days before, i already ordered some other books. A LIVE in the Cinema Lettered, ES Edition Phantasia...... and there was NO more money for the Books of Blood.

Last year i forget to buy a complete Set of Masters of Darkness signed signature Sheets.:angry:

Randall Flagg
01-12-2011, 06:05 PM
I had a chance for Nebel a couple of years ago for <$700. I balked because it was not through Ebay and from a seller (German, not that the country matters-just international) who wanted an off the books transaction. I could have had a friend who had an Ebay account in Germany bid on it, but didn't want them to be put in the middle if a dispute occurred.

shnnrc01
02-06-2011, 04:45 AM
i need some advice guys,not sure if its the one that got away yet,but its definately slipping out of my grasp! i have a package with a bunch of signed king books in it gone "missing" by UPS. it was to be delivered to a p.o. box but instead they delivered it to a completely different address with the same name. they are saying they dont ship to p.o. box addresses, so they found the nearest address with the same name,left the package at that doorstep and walked away,job done!! why they would do this and not return to sender i dont know. the tracking no. says delivered on the 21st january. so...any thoughts,ideas? should i call UPS and tell them to go back to the address and get the package? should i try and get this persons phone no.( i have the full address) and try and call to see if a package arrived that they know nothing about? anybody dealt with something like this before with UPS and can give me some way to go about it? going to a dark room now and sit facing the corner!

Room 217 Caretaker
02-06-2011, 05:28 AM
i need some advice guys,not sure if its the one that got away yet,but its definately slipping out of my grasp! i have a package with a bunch of signed king books in it gone "missing" by UPS. it was to be delivered to a p.o. box but instead they delivered it to a completely different address with the same name. they are saying they dont ship to p.o. box addresses, so they found the nearest address with the same name,left the package at that doorstep and walked away,job done!! why they would do this and not return to sender i dont know. the tracking no. says delivered on the 21st january. so...any thoughts,ideas? should i call UPS and tell them to go back to the address and get the package? should i try and get this persons phone no.( i have the full address) and try and call to see if a package arrived that they know nothing about? anybody dealt with something like this before with UPS and can give me some way to go about it? going to a dark room now and sit facing the corner!

Go back to UPS immediately.

Sometimes UPS will work with the smaller Post Offices for delivery to P.O. Boxes but it's rare.

First- Find out who delivered it, Post Office or UPS (they can tell you that)

Second- Tell UPS it never showed up and you need to start the insurance process (Insurance was paid. right?) With UPS you are only covered up to the first $100, I think.

Third- We hire them to do a job, not just leave a package where ever they want. UPS should be the one contacting the address the package was left at. Not you. As far as you are concerned, the package is missing and UPS delivered it to the wrong address.

Hope my ramblings help.

Mulleins

carlosdetweiller
02-06-2011, 05:40 AM
Ralph's advice is sound and I wouldn't have much more to add except that I would go to the address, ring the doorbell and ask whoever answers about the package. But our situations might be too different for that to work for you. I live in a small town and feel comfortable doing that. If you live in a big city it might be an entirely different situation. Whatever you do....Good Luck! We can all appreciate the difficulty and angst of the situation.

Randall Flagg
02-06-2011, 06:23 AM
Contact the closest local UPS office and speak to a supervisor (in addition to their corporate #). If you can't find the number for the local depot-ask a local UPS driver for it.
I've had UPS mis deliver stuff and in fact had it on camera the driver delivering a (my) package to a house down the street from me. Mistakes happen. As Bob mentioned, if you feel comfortable, go to the address you think the package went to and inquire.

Patrick
02-06-2011, 09:38 AM
If I had the info and thought it safe, I would go to the address and inquire.

If unsuccessful, I would follow Ralph's and Jerome's recommendations about contacting UPS.

shnnrc01
02-06-2011, 01:07 PM
wel guys,,this is the latest, i googled the persons address and got their phone number and called them up. he was very nice and honest. he did indeed receive the package and said he couldnt believe it when he saw all the signed books! he taped up the box and brought it to his local UPS "affiliate", not a full UPS office. told them he received a box by mistake and would they return it to sender. that was almost 2 weeks ago. i called this packaging/delivery number but it seems to be closed on sunday which is to be expected. i'll try them again 1st thing tomorrow. at least my biggest fear is gone,which was the person who received the books saying "thx so much for free books,-ebay here i come!!" the search is narrowing slowly.i hope!!

kkemikk
02-06-2011, 01:27 PM
About two years ago a UK 1st edition of Carrie in almost mint condition was offered on eBay. Buy it Now price was around 2500. There was also Best Offer option available. I was saying to myself, there is no way I could offer near enough for the seller to accept my best offer (I only had around 700 I could spent at the time), so I didn't even bother to make one. Few days later I noticed that listing has ended with accepted offer of 300!!!!! 300!!!!! OMG

Rahfa
02-07-2011, 01:19 PM
So, not Sk-related, but it fits...and now has maybe a conclusion...

So, in January 2000, I made an effort to get copies of the January 1st, 2000 issues of a daily newspaper from all 50 states + DC...they all had colorful headlines, different graphics, etc, and obviously all the states did things a little differently.

I gathered them together with a minimum of drama, usually bought two copies from each state...

At some point, I get to Delaware...the Wilmington News-Journal. By the time I call, they have NO extra copies from that date! And it's the only statewide paper for the whole state! The only other Delaware paper doesn't publish on the weekends or holidays, so there was no true Jan. 1 issue.

A friend of a friend knew someone who had a copy...and he refused to sell! Even for $20, or whatever overprice I was willing to pay.

So, for 11 years, all I have in this set is a copy of the Salisbury, Md. Times, which I rationalize works because it's from the "Del-Mar-Va" peninsula...but we all know it's not the same.

Flashforward 11 years, and I'm messing around on Ebay a few days ago, and just looking up Jan. 1 issues and laughing because nobody is really selling them...but what do you think turns up? A Jan. 1, 2000 issue of the Wilmington, Del., News-Journal! I had to actually enlarge the image to see what state it was from...and didn't have any reason to suspect it was actually Delaware, other than random curiosity.

So, $16 w/shipping, which is certainly overpaying, but on the other hand, it completes (once it arrives) what is likely one of the few complete 50-state newspaper editions from that day...so as we all know, even the ones that got away end up circling around, if you give it enough time. You think you can beat me? You can't even slow me down...haha...

jhanic
02-07-2011, 01:25 PM
That's a GREAT story! Congratulations!

John

Ari_Racing
02-07-2011, 02:38 PM
AWESOME!!

Congratulations, Rahfa! :)

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Do you have enough room to frame all of them and hang 'em on the walls?

Rahfa
02-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Do you have enough room to frame all of them and hang 'em on the walls?

I wish, but no...

And, the problem with old newspapers is they yellow very easily, especially along the folded edge...so by no means are they mint or anything...framing/matting costs would be prohibitive anyway. To be honest, I'm not sure what purpose they serve or what I could even do with them to show them off...but it's the principal!

Patrick
02-08-2011, 08:33 PM
That's a GREAT story! Congratulations!

John
Exactly!

tippy4
02-09-2011, 09:09 AM
WASTE LANDS IN SHRINK WRAP SELLS FOR 99 CENTS (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=220733800889&si=XqLZp8RgVscm5QRd7BMDh6L0nvk%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNA%3AUS%3A1123)

ARGHHHHHH!

I WAS GONNA BID ON THIS!

CONGRATS TO THE PERSON WHO GOT IT!

ELazansky
02-09-2011, 09:11 AM
WASTE LANDS IN SHRINK WRAP SELLS FOR 99 CENTS (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=220733800889&si=XqLZp8RgVscm5QRd7BMDh6L0nvk%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNA%3AUS%3A1123)

ARGHHHHHH!

I WAS GONNA BID ON THIS!

Well, that's one way around eBay fees. Shipping of 57.80 means he only has to pay commission on the 99 cent sale price - still an excellent total price

Stockerlone
02-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Today someone from the German SK forum told me, he just now buyed an
German Angst - Bare Bones Edition Phantasia limited to 300 slipcased for.... 20.- Euro.
On ebay, was offered as book from: Steven King....
Damn, i always look for: Steven - Stefen - Steffen King.... But NOT this week:doh:

tippy4
02-09-2011, 04:11 PM

ARGHHHHHH!

I WAS GONNA BID ON THIS!

Well, that's one way around eBay fees. Shipping of 57.80 means he only has to pay commission on the 99 cent sale price - still an excellent total price

Holy crap...I did not even see that.

No wonder it only sold for 99 cents.

divemaster
02-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Yeah, and if Ebay notices this and he does it again he'll be NARU'd very quickly. eBay no like fee avoidance!

herbertwest
02-10-2011, 02:10 PM
A movie press kit that was goddam cheap on ebay... but i couldnt bid on it, as restricted in my area! The seller told me that she would put it back and will let me know. But i guess that she waits as it didnt sell and it was cheap....

Now that i think about it, i SHOULD HAVE USED HOTSPOT or the sniper manager that jhanic mentionned !!!

Stockerlone
02-11-2011, 12:41 AM
Cheap Cheap Cheap...
Edition Phantasia, Peterka, Augen des Drachen Nr.40/100 Portfolio - Eyes of the Dragon sig lim Portfolio

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330528890552&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Pasiuk57
02-11-2011, 04:36 AM
That was #40-I have #47
Nice match to the Augen des Drachen...

carlosdetweiller
02-11-2011, 04:39 AM
That was #40-I have #47

Really? My records show that I have #47. I'll have to dig mine out to be sure.

carlosdetweiller
02-11-2011, 04:46 AM
That was #40-I have #47

Really? My records show that I have #47. I'll have to dig mine out to be sure.

Yep.
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/editionphantasiaeyesdragonportfolio.jpg

Pasiuk57
02-11-2011, 07:24 AM
weird
have to go home tonight and look
my stats on my phone show #47!
Will check it out tonight!

Stockerlone
02-11-2011, 10:07 AM
I think there are MORE Die Augen des Drachen Edition Phantasia Portfolios in the USA then in Germany,
itīs the same with NEBEL ES ANGST from EP.
For my nr 66 of DADD i need 12 years to find it, now in the last 6 months, THREE are available......

http://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/stockerlonepics/Stephen_King_and_Friends/printImage?imageId=146865263&imageType=image

But i think, this Peterka interpretation of Eyes of the dragon are...... mindblowing-crazy-amazing
http://fotoalbum.web.de/gast/stockerlonepics/Stephen_King_and_Friends/printImage?imageId=146866279&imageType=image

tippy4
02-12-2011, 05:46 PM
Some lucky bastard just got a S/L SIGNATURES for $49.99.

My computer locked up, and by the time it unfroze, I had missed the auction by two minutes.

AUCTION LINK (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120682975204&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

thegreattim
02-12-2011, 05:49 PM
I've never even heard of that before. It looks pretty interesting, I would have payed that price in a heartbeat.

willie3
02-12-2011, 05:54 PM

My computer locked up, and by the time it unfroze, I had missed the auction by two minutes.

AUCTION LINK (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120682975204&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT)

Son-Of-A-B....!!!

Wow! Freakin' stole it !!

Karl

tippy4
02-12-2011, 06:07 PM
I've never even heard of that before. It looks pretty interesting, I would have payed that price in a heartbeat.

Click THIS LINK (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Signatures+-+S+L) for information on Signatures.

I would value this book at $250-$350.

This is one of those poorly listed auctions that I am always on the hunt for.

I would have thrown a $150 bid at this. The seller did not descibe the book, and for all I know it reeked of cigarette smoke and had stains, but I was willing to take a chance.

Randall Flagg
02-12-2011, 06:35 PM

Click THIS LINK (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showwiki.php?title=Signatures+-+S+L) for information on Signatures.

I would value this book at $250-$350.

This is one of those poorly listed auctions that I am always on the hunt for.

I would have thrown a $150 bid at this. The seller did not descibe the book, and for all I know it reeked of cigarette smoke and had stains, but I was willing to take a chance.

So essentially you are complaining because you weren't the "lucky bastard"..even though you troll Ebay looking to capitalize on just those listing mistakes. 'Don't hate the player..':)

tippy4
02-12-2011, 07:05 PM
I'm complaining that my computer locked up, and as a result, I missed an opportunity to bid on this.

Jeez Jerome...when you use words like "troll" and "capitalize" , you make it sound like I am doing something seedy.

And I don't hate the player....in fact I tip my hat to him (or her) for a being savvy buyer.

thegreattim
02-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Wow! Thanks the link, Tippy. That is a hell of a lot of desirable signatures. I would have payed much more than the $50 as well.

Randall Flagg
02-13-2011, 06:40 AM
Didn't mean to sound harsh. That's why I put a smiley at the end.

Patrick
02-13-2011, 11:58 PM
I've wanted a copy of that book for a long time, yet I always forget to even look for it.

herbertwest
02-15-2011, 09:55 AM

you dont have any phone with internet access? :-(

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-15-2011, 10:32 AM
I've had phones with (free) internet access for years, and I've never used them to go online, ever.

tippy4
02-15-2011, 07:55 PM

You dont have any phone with internet access? :-(

I don't even own a cell phone.

Had one for a while...forgot to take it out of my pocket, and it went through a spin cycle and never worked again.

Really do need to get one.

Ari_Racing
02-16-2011, 01:16 PM
I don't even own a cell phone.

Had one for a while...forgot to take it out of my pocket, and it went through a spin cycle and never worked again.

Really do need to get one.

Wow! Life still gives surprises every day! I thought that everyone in the world have a cellphone :scared:

shibus
02-16-2011, 01:20 PM
My Computer didn't lock up so it didn't get away. Was no one else watching this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=230583957038&si=fRRcwWk8tHxCP4jcjrxY07Us1mE%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

jhanic
02-16-2011, 01:50 PM
A great buy, Greg.

Ari, neither my wife nor I have cell phones and we have no plans on getting any. One of my pet annoyances is people who talk while in line at the bank or the store or while they are sitting at a restaurant. Or driving.

John

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-16-2011, 03:06 PM
I was given one of those cell phones (Christmas present) you buy minutes for at convenience stores. I used it for maybe a month, and now it sits in my car uncharged. I hate the damned things. Not because they are bad in themselves, but because of the way they seem to have brainwashed the public into thinking they have to look at them every five seconds, even when sitting in a theater watching a movie, taking a bath, mowing the lawn, walking down the street, riding your bike, etc. Why they irk me like that I don't really know, but until they banish all land lines I don't want one.

And I agree with John's reasons also.

Ari_Racing
02-16-2011, 03:08 PM
I agree it can be annoying someplaces (I'm not all day with my cellphone), but nevertheless I find it incredible useful in lots of situations, from some silly ones (an auction) to very important ones (two weeks ago a motorbike was ran over in front of me and police arrived 2 minutes after thanks to having a cellphone to call 911).

I have to buy an iPhone 4 soon, but that's because I'm developing videogames for it.

Ari_Racing
02-16-2011, 03:10 PM
Here in Argentina cellphones are prohibited inside banks.

Randall Flagg
02-16-2011, 03:18 PM
My Computer didn't lock up so it didn't get away. Was no one else watching this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=230583957038&si=fRRcwWk8tHxCP4jcjrxY07Us1mE%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

I missed it.

Fsmdr
02-16-2011, 03:20 PM

I was, but since I already have 2 signed copy, I couldn't justify another one. Good buy, Greg!.

Patrick
02-16-2011, 05:28 PM
Greg, I wasn't watching it. I think Fred did himself a disservice in his title. If he had listed it as FIRESTARTER instead of FIRE STARTER, I would have seen it and put it on my watch list.

Congrats!

Cellphones: I have a cheapie $30 phone with not even a screen to see the time or caller info without flipping it open. No camera function either. I bought it last May when my last phone died of old age, I got this cheap one just for short time use until I'd have time to get an iPhone or something else nice. However I have just kept on using this one and I use it all the time.

Rahfa
02-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Greg, I wasn't watching it. I think Fred did himself a disservice in his title. If he had listed it as FIRESTARTER instead of FIRE STARTER, I would have seen it and put it on my watch list.

That, and "inscribed" instead of signed.

Rahfa
02-25-2011, 10:05 AM
So, not Sk-related, but it fits...and now has maybe a conclusion...

So, in January 2000, I made an effort to get copies of the January 1st, 2000 issues of a daily newspaper from all 50 states + DC...they all had colorful headlines, different graphics, etc, and obviously all the states did things a little differently.

I gathered them together with a minimum of drama, usually bought two copies from each state...

At some point, I get to Delaware...the Wilmington News-Journal. By the time I call, they have NO extra copies from that date! And it's the only statewide paper for the whole state! The only other Delaware paper doesn't publish on the weekends or holidays, so there was no true Jan. 1 issue.

A friend of a friend knew someone who had a copy...and he refused to sell! Even for $20, or whatever overprice I was willing to pay.

So, for 11 years, all I have in this set is a copy of the Salisbury, Md. Times, which I rationalize works because it's from the "Del-Mar-Va" peninsula...but we all know it's not the same.

Flashforward 11 years, and I'm messing around on Ebay a few days ago, and just looking up Jan. 1 issues and laughing because nobody is really selling them...but what do you think turns up? A Jan. 1, 2000 issue of the Wilmington, Del., News-Journal! I had to actually enlarge the image to see what state it was from...and didn't have any reason to suspect it was actually Delaware, other than random curiosity.

So, $16 w/shipping, which is certainly overpaying, but on the other hand, it completes (once it arrives) what is likely one of the few complete 50-state newspaper editions from that day...so as we all know, even the ones that got away end up circling around, if you give it enough time. You think you can beat me? You can't even slow me down...haha...

Ugh...I might have spoken too soon.

So the shipper sent via media mail (which is fine), WITH delivery confirmation....but it's been three weeks, and the only scan is at the original post office.

We'll try to trace it, and the fact is it should up any time...but it's my fault for talking about a bird in the bush!

Only a $15 item, but of course that's not the issue...haha...

jhanic
02-25-2011, 10:09 AM
I've found that the Post Office is often negligent in scanning items. I've had items listed as "Notified for pick-up" show up on my doorstep a week or so later with no change in the status.

John

Rahfa
02-25-2011, 10:57 AM
You're right.....and it is shipping via media mail, so they don't guarantee a committment or anything....still annoying, though; I've never had anything lost before!

Stockerlone
03-07-2011, 11:24 AM
.-.

herbertwest
05-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Here is what i couldnt get : a display for the french DOME.

I tried to get one for me and for ari... i couldnt get any. They were supposed to call me to tell me it was available, and... they never did and i kind of forgot as i was busy

http://stephen-king-et-moi.over-blog.fr/article-plv-dome-71726458.html

Randall Flagg
12-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Missed out on a lettered Firestarter....

Shannon
12-07-2011, 06:19 PM
:( There's always next time. :)

herbertwest
02-03-2013, 04:34 AM
Still pissed off at 1 book that got away :

One day i found on a website, a limited edition of a short story, that was given away at an event with Bernard Werber (a french author that i follow as closely as King. I have all of his writing + many signatures & doodles + many proofs + many magazines & rare items).
There was supposedly a print of 300 versions... but i never heard of that book before finding this copy online. I didnt ask him for any pictures, as i didnt want him to realise that it was a rare item, nor wanted to "annoy" him.
The seller was selling it as a good price (about 15€ i believe). He offered me to go and collect it myself, but as i didnt have any time and he was at the other end of Paris (in the suburbs), i thought that it would be quicker to get it delivered.
BIG MISTAKE. Especially for a "unique" item, i should have considered it differently.
I never recieved the book. I complaint to the post office, who claims that the delivery had been signed. So i lost both the money (but i dont really care about 20€), and this unique opportunity.

That was in 2011. I still havent seen any other copies appearing. Let's hope that one will show up in 2013!
So that balances with the good deal (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?10752-That-awesome-deal&p=752685&viewfull=1#post752685).
Sometimes lucky, sometimes you feel you lucky... you make a silly mistake and you're not so lucky.

carlosdetweiller
02-03-2013, 05:18 AM
3 or 4 years ago I bought a UK proof of THE GUNSLINGER published by Sphere from Greg (shibus) on eBay. It's really a rare proof and this one was going to be great because it was in such beautiful condition. I had long searched for one and was happy to finally be getting one.

My gut churned when the postman handed me the box. "Are you shitting me?", I thought. I was pretty sure in looking at the outer damage that the book was going to be hurt pretty bad......and I was right. To this day I am still looking for a copy of this proof. Pulling up these old photos makes me unhappy and mad all over again. Gosh, I hate the US Postal Service! I use alternatives whenever I can.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/damage5_zps5a0f8270.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/damage6_zps473bec8a.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/damage1_zps81036d77.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/damage4_zps8d25b196.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/damage3_zps0e35c306.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/damage2_zps66d3b6f8.jpg

Ben Mears
02-03-2013, 07:56 AM
3 or 4 years ago I bought a UK proof of THE GUNSLINGER published by Sphere from Greg (shibus) on eBay. It's really a rare proof and this one was going to be great because it was in such beautiful condition. I had long searched for one and was happy to finally be getting one.

My gut churned when the postman handed me the box. "Are you shitting me?", I thought. I was pretty sure in looking at the outer damage that the book was going to be hurt pretty bad......and I was right. To this day I am still looking for a copy of this proof. Pulling up these old photos makes me unhappy and mad all over again. Gosh, I hate the US Postal Service! I use alternatives whenever I can.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/damage5_zps5a0f8270.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/damage6_zps473bec8a.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/damage1_zps81036d77.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/damage4_zps8d25b196.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/damage3_zps0e35c306.jpg

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/damage2_zps66d3b6f8.jpg

Ouch!

herbertwest
02-03-2013, 09:14 AM

I remember that. And there was a discussion about how, in order to get a refund, the item was to be sent... and therefore destroyed. I hope that it didnt happen in the end...

Ari_Racing
02-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Nope. As far as I remember, Shibus put it for sale again and it sold to another seller, who had it for sale for some time at a high price and not showing all the flaws the copy had. I lost track of the book at that point.

carlosdetweiller
02-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Greg (shibus) gave me a refund and sold the book to Nate Sanders (I think that is right). As Ari said, Nate listed it on eBay for a really high price multiple times. Don't know if he ever sold it or not.

ur2ndbiggestfan
02-03-2013, 03:02 PM
Now that's what i call a horror story!

herbertwest
12-25-2016, 04:38 AM
Last weekend :
I was SO close to get a first french edition of DRACULA (which I never saw for sale before) at a reasonnable price.... I didn't bought the book, asked questions to the sellers about the state of the book, only to find out that it was sold in the meantime.
The weird thing is that i checked randomly if a copy was available because I was bored, and there was one...

Oh well, c'est la vie.

But 3 years later, it's a good way to revive that thread :)

tippy4
09-24-2018, 09:20 AM
Sold while I was reading the auction.

STEPHEN KING SIGNED THINNER (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Richard-Bachman-Stephen-King-Thinner-Signed-First-Edition-/223157820875?hash=item33f53e1dcb%3Ag%3ACo0AAOSwHSh bo-%7ER&nma=true&si=DTA9Up1RksMe8%252FnS4hMRnd2am5I%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557)

Signed at an event I attended.

webstar1000
09-24-2018, 09:27 AM
Sold while I was reading the auction.

STEPHEN KING SIGNED THINNER (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Richard-Bachman-Stephen-King-Thinner-Signed-First-Edition-/223157820875?hash=item33f53e1dcb%3Ag%3ACo0AAOSwHSh bo-%7ER&nma=true&si=DTA9Up1RksMe8%252FnS4hMRnd2am5I%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557)

Signed at an event I attended.

That sucks.. I never knew this thread existed. I could go on for days the ones that got away. The one that bugs me most? David listed a Whelan that a member here was selling through him last Spring. I was ready refreshing a 100 times a min... AND had 3 friends doing the same. And SOMEONE beat me to say they would take it first:( I really wanted that piece too....

tippy4
09-24-2018, 09:47 AM
Yep....this thread is the opposite of the My New Pride and Joy thread.

If you have a thread to brag.....ya gotta have a thread to cry and whine.

This weekend was not all bad for me....while one got away....I hooked anther "fish" that I was able to reel into the shore.

biomieg
09-24-2018, 10:18 AM
Latest one that got away from me was the Suntup Misery S/L... had one in my cart and then the link to finish my purchase went nowhere for a couple of tries. When I finally got through they were already gone - and I'd put a copy in my cart seconds after the link went live!! I still get really, really angry when I think about it... (I don't collect signed editions, in fact I hardly collect at all right now... but that was one book I really wanted...)

MikeDuke
09-24-2018, 10:24 AM
Yep. Misery is mine as well. I should have done what was needed to get it but I didn't. That one will hurt for a while because I know I had a chance. Not going to go into it here though.

Ben Staad
09-24-2018, 12:42 PM
I kick myself for not ordering the signed Joyland when available.

Ben Staad
09-24-2018, 01:00 PM
I also still remember being outbid for a great copy of Danse Macabre by a certain someone...

Latest one that got away from me was the Suntup Misery S/L... had one in my cart and then the link to finish my purchase went nowhere for a couple of tries. When I finally got through they were already gone - and I'd put a copy in my cart seconds after the link went live!! I still get really, really angry when I think about it... (I don't collect signed editions, in fact I hardly collect at all right now... but that was one book I really wanted...)

Tommy
09-24-2018, 01:35 PM
IT S/L from CD. :cry:

Stockerlone
11-10-2019, 01:57 AM
Stupid new time.
I have just requested a new SK Illustrator for a remarque,
unfortunately she works exclusively digital.
It happened to another artist where i am interested in a remarque.:orely:

ur2ndbiggestfan
11-10-2019, 07:08 AM
I lost out on a lettered SLEEPING BEAUTIES because I had a terrific migraine that day and couldn't get out of bed until late in the day to check my e-mails, and the offered copy was taken.

frik
11-10-2019, 09:15 AM
I lost out on a lettered SLEEPING BEAUTIES because I had a terrific migraine that day and couldn't get out of bed until late in the day to check my e-mails, and the offered copy was taken.

Just in case you'd be interested:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sleeping-Beauties-Stephen-King-Cemetery-Dance-Signed-Lettered-Edition-1-of-52/383248643227?hash=item593b66349b:g:aygAAOSwkXBdv1B u

sk

herbertwest
12-11-2021, 11:55 AM
I think this thread should be revived :)