PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King Library - Q&A and Complete List?

e_taylor
09-09-2007, 02:17 PM
I'm trying to track down all the "Stephen King Library" books - those which are bound in red leatherette. Just wondering how many there are and which titles were issued, to the best of my research theres between 35 - 40 titles.

Just wondering if anyone has a complete list of titles they wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks in advance guys.

Cutter
09-10-2007, 08:14 AM
I haven't checked this against anything, so I don't know if it's 100% correct, but everything listed below exists. If there are others I have not seen them.

Carrie
'Salem's Lot
The Shinning
The Stand
The Stand - Complete and Uncut
The Dead Zone
Firestarter
Cujo
Christine
Pet Sematary
The Eyes of the Dragon
It
Misery
The Tommyknockers
The Dark Half
Needful Things
Gerald's Game
Dolores Claiborne
Insomnia
Rose Madder
Desperation
Bag of Bones
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
Dreamcatcher
Night Shift
Skeleton Crew
Four Past Midnight
Nightmares & Dreamscapes
Hearts In Atlantis
Thinner
On Writing
Secret Windows
Storm of the Century

The harder ones to find are the more recent ones.

jhanic
09-10-2007, 09:29 AM
I'm surprised Storm of the Century is in there. I thought the only hardcover edition of that book was the book club edition. To see that it's also out in the red "leather" binding is a surprise.

John

e_taylor
09-10-2007, 04:37 PM
These are the only ones I can see missing, so that'd put it up to 36 volumes... anybody see any we're missing?

From a Buick 8
Different Seasons
Everything's Eventual
Black House

Cutter
09-11-2007, 07:35 AM
These are the only ones I can see missing, so that'd put it up to 36 volumes... anybody see any we're missing?

From a Buick 8
Different Seasons
Everything's Eventual
Black House
Yea I forgot Different Seasons, but I didn't know about the others. But you are right, they do exist.

Sorry the picture is small John, but here's the spine to Storm of the Century

http://www.gusfromcbus.com/authorpages/stephenking/imagesscripts/stormofthecenturyskl_sp.gif

Yea Storm is a good one to have as well as On Writing and Secret Windows. these are pretty neat to have in the faux read leather. I still need to get the On Writing one though. It was just up for $50 a couple of weeks ago, but that is way too much. I've probably averaged $12 a book for the Stephen King Library red books.

e_taylor
09-11-2007, 02:06 PM
Secret Windows
On Writing
The Dark Half
From a Buick 8
Dreamcatcher
Salem's Lot
Misery
Four Past Midnight
Firestarter
Dolores Claiborne
It
Insomnia
Bag of Bones
Gerald's Game
Desperation
Different Seasons
Needful Things
The Shining
The Eyes of the Dragon
The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
Hearts in Atlantis
Christine
Cujo
Thinner
Storm of the Century
The Stand
Everything's Eventual
The Dead Zone
Nightmares & Dreamscapes
Black House
Tommyknockers
Pet Sematary
Skeleton Crew
Rose Madder
Night Shift
Carrie
Stand (Complete & Uncut)

That gives us 37... which seems about right?

e_taylor
09-29-2007, 05:48 AM
I now have an extra copy of "Everything's Eventual", "Storm of the Century" and "Dreamcatcher" all in near fine condition, if anyone is interested....

Brice
09-29-2007, 05:53 AM
How much would you want for them?

Matt
09-29-2007, 06:32 AM
Auctions coming soon!! :lol:

We're just working out the bugs with it because I'll tell ya, I wouldn't mind bidding on one of those :ninja:

alinda
09-29-2007, 06:52 AM
Everythings Eventual is one of the few books I do not own.
I have almost all in paper, and am slowing replacing them in hardcover.
Someday, I will arange a give-a-way on the paperbacks....
are the aformentioned books for sale then e_taylor?

e_taylor
09-29-2007, 07:07 AM
Yup thats the plan - and these editions are actually great for your collection (I've found anyways) because for instance, Dreamcatcher and Everything's Eventual have no limited states, so these look a little nicer on the shelf.

I'm looking for $40- $50 each, but I think Brice has dibs on Storm of the Century at the least, maybe all three.

Matt
09-29-2007, 08:02 AM
Sound like you could start a bid war here e taylor. :lol:

That Everything's Eventual was also the one I had my eye on but I'm sure others will come along

e_taylor
09-29-2007, 09:08 AM
Brice is only taking Storm of the Century, so the other two are still up for grabs! Just PM me.

Also, I don't mind waiting a few days if you want me to try out the new auction format with Everything's Eventual.... let me know!

Matt
09-30-2007, 02:48 PM
That would actually be great e taylor, I have been out of town for the weekend but I think Randall Flagg is putting it through its paces now to make sure it works.

Then we'll set up some guidelines and try to throw it out there.

e_taylor
06-20-2008, 10:15 AM
Okay, heres something that I've been thinking a lot about lately...

BOMC distributed these so I guess technically they are BCEs. Obviously the older titles like Carrie aren't 1sts rebound, some of the titles from the 80s and 90s have copyright pages that indicate firsts, but also have BOMC mentioned, nullifying that.

HOWEVER, some of the newer titles have complete numberlines, and no mention of BOMC, they are 1sts, but bound in the red leatherette - are these really first editions? or because they are distributed through BOMC are they still BCEs?

Also, if the CP page indicates a 1st print and there in no mention of BOMC, is it acceptable to marry them with 1st print dust jackets?

Cutter
06-20-2008, 10:24 AM
HOWEVER, some of the newer titles have complete numberlines, and no mention of BOMC, they are 1sts, but bound in the red leatherette - are these really first editions? or because they are distributed through BOMC are they still BCEs?

Also, if the CP page indicates a 1st print and there in no mention of BOMC, is it acceptable to marry them with 1st print dust jackets?
First question. Yes they are the same 1st edition text blocks, but they are bound in the red faux leather instead.

Second Question. It's acceptable to do whatever you want, but it is not a First Trade Edition.

e_taylor
06-20-2008, 11:09 AM

First question. Yes they are the same 1st edition text blocks, but they are bound in the red faux leather instead.

Second Question. It's acceptable to do whatever you want, but it is not a First Trade Edition.

So for a 1st to be a 1st, not only the text block, but the binding materials need to meet a certain criteria?

What if, for instance, someone wanted to rebind their 1st/1st of Carrie in leather, is it no longer a 1st once it no longer has the original boards?

jhanic
06-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Correct. Such a rebinding would destroy the book's value as a first edition. The correct dust jacket is also essential.

John

carlosdetweiller
06-20-2008, 01:51 PM
What if, for instance, someone wanted to rebind their 1st/1st of Carrie in leather, is it no longer a 1st once it no longer has the original boards?

Many collectible older books have been rebound in beautiful leather bindings that, in the eyes of some, enhance their value. Suppose you found a first edition of DRACULA but it had moisture damage, insect damage, etc. and the boards were unsightly but the pages themselves were OK. There are many binderies that do custom work and can take an ugly collectible book and make it a work of art.

My preference is to have the books in my collection as close to original as possible but others prefer the fancy custom bindings. But I think you would still consider the book (in the case of DRACULA) a first edition but with a custom binding.

I will post later today an image that a custom binder sent me of a beat up copy of THE STAND that has been custom rebound with inlaid leather, etc. and you can judge for yourself. I think it is fantastic and, in this case, enhances the value of an otherwise uncollectible book.

carlosdetweiller
06-20-2008, 02:00 PM

Here is a copy of THE STAND that was bought at a garage sale for (I think) $2. Now it has a new custom leather binding. I think it is absolutely fantastic.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/king.jpg

jhanic
06-20-2008, 02:02 PM
I agree it's a beautiful book, but I personally don't consider it to be a collectible edition of The Stand. Just me.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-20-2008, 02:13 PM
I agree it's a beautiful book, but I personally don't consider it to be a collectible edition of The Stand. Just me.

John

I agree its not a collectable edition for most people, but what a great addition it would make on my bookshelf. I would buy it just for the quality. Well done to the binder. That spine is fantastic.

carlosdetweiller
06-20-2008, 02:27 PM
I agree its not a collectable edition for most people, but what a great addition it would make on my bookshelf. I would buy it just for the quality. Well done to the binder. That spine is fantastic.

It's good stuff, isn't it? As far as I know it is not for sale. I think the binder did it for himself because he likes the book so much. Interestingly his favorite King book is BAG OF BONES. He told me he found a copy at a garage sale for $1 and that is his next personal project.

shibus
06-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Bob, That is a Beautiful copy of the Stand. I actually love books done uniiquely like that. Although not at the expense of altering an already nice, collectable one.

I found a First edition Carrie a few years ago with a VERY early inscription. Unfortunately the boards were warped and torn pretty bad. It didn't have any damage to the pages so I asked Malcolm at Mustang Bindery to put together the following for me. Done in Full Calf Leather. I think it turned out pretty nice. Is it a Collectable? It looks good in mine.

http://usera.imagecave.com/shibus/car1.JPG
<P>
http://usera.imagecave.com/shibus/car2.JPG

http://usera.imagecave.com/shibus/car3.JPG

http://usera.imagecave.com/shibus/car4.JPG

EXPLORER
06-20-2008, 03:21 PM

Here is a copy of THE STAND that was bought at a garage sale for (I think) $2. Now it has a new custom leather binding. I think it is absolutely fantastic.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb54/carlosdetweiller/king.jpg

Any idea what it would cost to have custom binding done?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-20-2008, 03:40 PM
I found a First edition Carrie a few years ago with a VERY early inscription. Unfortunately the boards were warped and torn pretty bad. It didn't have any damage to the pages so I asked Malcolm at Mustang Bindery to put together the following for me. Done in Full Calf Leather. I think it turned out pretty nice. Is it a Collectable? It looks good in mine.

Greg that is truly great. Best of all, you have preserved a story which will outlast all of us and this message board.

Our history as humanking will rely on preserved books and not cd-rom, flash drives or any new media we may invent over the next 1000 years. (Dead Sea Scrolls etc are examples)

carlosdetweiller
06-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Any idea what it would cost to have custom binding done?

No, but it is expensive. Obviously it depends on the materials used, time spent and expertise of the artist and those factors would vary widely. A couple of thousand dollars would be my guess if that copy of THE STAND were for sale.

carlosdetweiller
06-20-2008, 04:29 PM
And, Greg, that is a really beautiful book. I know you are proud of it.

Randall Flagg
06-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Both of those custom books are outstanding. Beauty (and value) are in the eye of the beholder, and my eyes say "WOW!"
BTW, I would never rebind a good first edition, but as mentioned, if the boards are greatly damaged, this type of repair is wonderful.

Edited 02/13/2021 to reflect that I have in fact rebound good first editions.

carlosdetweiller
06-20-2008, 06:27 PM
BTW, I would never rebind a good first edition, but as mentioned, if the boards are greatly damaged, this type of repair is wonderful.

I think it would be a good project to find ex-library copies of King's first five Doubleday books. If the library markings were limited to the fixed endpapers and dust jacket and the pages were pretty good you would be in business to do a set with matching bindings which would be pretty cool. Or each could be unique. And it wouldn't cost much to get started.

I have also seen some binderies sand and put gold gilt (sp?) on the page edges. This would be necessary if there were library stamps on the page edges.

Dang, I'm starting to get excited thinking about this.

carlosdetweiller
06-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Back to the topic of red leatherette SK Library books: Are any really worth more than others?

I only have two in my collection, SECRET WINDOWS and THE STORM OF THE CENTURY. Both of these books were issued in hardcover only by the BOMC and it seemed to me (at the time) that these red leatherette editions would be more desirable in the long run since they are a little more "special" than the regular HC editions. Anyone agree? Disagree?

Hutch
06-20-2008, 07:24 PM
GMTA... Those are the only two I consider collectible.

Back to the topic of red leatherette SK Library books: Are any really worth more than others?

I only have two in my collection, SECRET WINDOWS and THE STORM OF THE CENTURY. Both of these books were issued in hardcover only by the BOMC and it seemed to me (at the time) that these red leatherette editions would be more desirable in the long run since they are a little more "special" than the regular HC editions. Anyone agree? Disagree?

wizardsrainbow
06-21-2008, 01:53 AM
And, Greg, that is a really beautiful book. I know you are proud of it.

Greg-
Good to see you and as you have shared those pics with me previously, I am glad you shared them here. Now I can drool over them without having to hunt them down in my own rats nest of a filing system. That Carrie is very nice and the inscription is indeed extremely early.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-21-2008, 03:32 AM
http://usera.imagecave.com/shibus/car4.JPG

That's a great inscription.

herbertwest
06-21-2008, 08:00 AM
really nice books!

what do you think about the BOMC edition of Lisey?

Randall Flagg
08-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Any update to the list?

e_taylor
08-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Not from me... I think its safe to say that the list of 37 titles on page one is correct.

Tatts4Life
09-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Randall Flagg directed me to this because I have never heard of these books before. Question do they make red cover books of his new books or did they stop a while ago? I looked on Google and it looks like they don't and the sign up for the list was a long time ago.

herbertwest
09-29-2009, 08:50 AM
On the official board, i remember reading Marsha saying that 10 books were published.
Justin Brooks told me that actually only 4 books had been published and the other must have been planned then canceled or something like this

Cutter
09-29-2009, 10:53 AM
Randall Flagg directed me to this because I have never heard of these books before. Question do they make red cover books of his new books or did they stop a while ago? I looked on Google and it looks like they don't and the sign up for the list was a long time ago.

Nope, sorry they don't. The last one was from a Buick 8. Now if you join the Stephen King Book club you just get book club editions that look just like the regular trade editions that are sold in the stores.

Too bad, I would be a member of the Stephen King Book Club if they still did them in the faux red leather.

Tatts4Life
09-29-2009, 11:43 AM

Nope, sorry they don't. The last one was from a Buick 8. Now if you join the Stephen King Book club you just get book club editions that look just like the regular trade editions that are sold in the stores.

Too bad, I would be a member of the Stephen King Book Club if they still did them in the faux red leather.

Thanks now I know what to look out for if I ever decide to get any.

Randall Flagg
08-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Archive?

biomieg
08-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Yes, but not before Greg reposts his rebound CARRIE picture!

(I only read about it just now and the picture's not there anymore...)

Oh yeah, and I think Bob's idea about a custom rebound set of ex-library Doubleday books is very interesting.