PDA

View Full Version : BGNoAT ... And The WINNER Is !!!!

turtlex
07-05-2009, 09:32 AM
According to the Great Citizens of the Comic Tower
The Best Graphic Novel of All Time
is
WATCHMEN

by Alan Moore

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/622/medium/Watchmen2.JPG

As published previously - Each winner of the head to head brackets received one point for their win in addition to the votes they gained.

Final Point Counts :
Place : Title and Author ( points )
1st - Watchmen by Alan Moore ( with 76 points )
2nd - V For Vendetta by Alan Moore ( with 66 points )
3rd - Maus by Art Spiegelman ( with 60 points )
4th - Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore ( with 53 points )
5th - X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga by Chris Claremont ( with 51 points )

And now, the winner of our Graphic Novel Give-Away is :

( chosen randomly using The Hat software / version 2.3 )
Darkthoughts

Lisa receives a copy of the winning GN ( Watchmen ) and also a randomly chosen GN.... A History of Violence by John Wagner.

Congratulations, Lisa - and thank you to everyone who nominated a GN.

( turtlex, Sam, Matt and Aaron were not eligible )

Thank You To Everyone Who Participated !!! ~ Sam and turtlex

Update : Update : Update : Update : Update

Darkthoughts has donated her win of Watchmen and we've drawn another name.... Congrats Kidd Ikarus!! A new copy of Watchmen is all yours!!!

Update 2 : Update 2 : Update 2 : Update 2 : Update2

Just when you thought it was safe... Kidd Ikarus also already has a copy of Watchmen and has requested a another e-draw so someone else can enjoy this great GN! These guys are great.

And the winner is : Ari_Racing

sarajean
07-05-2009, 09:36 AM
yay for lisa!

CyberGhostface
07-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Didn't see that coming. :D

turtlex
07-05-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm not exactly surprised, but honestly - I'm pretty okay with all the top five winners!!

ETA : My girlfriend just mentioned "hmmm....wonder if it would have done as well before the movie came out?!?"

fernandito
07-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Congrats Lisa! :D

Letti
07-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Congratulations! :rose:

Seymour_Glass
07-05-2009, 12:16 PM
YAY!!!:dance:
It's over!

turtlex
07-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Alan Moore had an amazing showing, throughout this whole process. Very impressive.

Sam
07-05-2009, 04:36 PM
I was very impressed to see three of Alan Moore's four entries survived through the entire voting. From Hell was the only one that fell off.

However, I too have to wonder how well Watchmen would have done had we done this before the film. For those who have not read the titles that made the final five, read them. Each of these titles has had a HUGE impact on the comics that we read today. HUGE. Not only that, but they really are some of the greatest stories ever told.

Pam and I thank each and every one of you who voted and nominated entries in this contest. Thank you very much. Next up...

Best comic series of all time...

Just after we recover and forget that it would be insane as hell to do it.:cyclops:

LadyHitchhiker
07-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Boooooooooooooooooo!!! :arg:

Watchmen is like my least favorite graphic novel... And I have NOT seen the movie yet. Perhaps I will like it better in that incarnation. Not really sure...

turtlex
07-06-2009, 12:33 AM
UPDATE : We heard from Darkthoughts and she's already got a cool copy of Watchmen so has donated that GN for an additional Give-Away.... She's so sweet !!!! :grouphug:

So... congratulations Kidd Ikarus, your name was drawn for a shiny, new copy of Watchmen !!! I sent you a PM.

LH - Sorry you were disappointed with the result. I, personally, wasn't surprised at all. Watchmen is a classic of the GN genre and is widely considered one of the best. Actually, my favorite graphic novels did pretty well. Maus and Dark Phoenix, and V for Vendetta. :thumbsup:

Lily-sai
07-06-2009, 01:59 PM
Whoo hoo!! :)

Congrats, Kidd!

flaggwalkstheline
07-06-2009, 02:18 PM
well this was no surprise
its like hendrix coming up as number one in a list of the greatest guitarists

fernandito
07-06-2009, 06:23 PM
However, I too have to wonder how well Watchmen would have done had we done this before the film.

The same :)

turtlex
07-07-2009, 07:24 AM
Wow. We have some great members here, my friends. I heard back from Kidd Ikarus and he also already has a copy of Watchmen ( not surprising ) and has requested that the give-away go to another member.

I'd like to thank both him and Lisa for being so self-less and thinking of the other members here.

I'll open up The Hat again tonight and we'll have another member winner drawn !!

turtlex
07-07-2009, 12:54 PM
We have our winner... congrats Ari_Racing.

I've already received Ari's info and his GN will be in the mail soon !!!!

Ari_Racing
07-07-2009, 03:57 PM
:) THANK YOU SO MUCH, GUYS!!!!!
I read it long ago and loved it since that moment. And here it's very hard to find...and really expensive!

So I couldn't be more happy! :) THANK YOU!!

LadyHitchhiker
07-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Sorry you were disappointed with the result. I, personally, wasn't surprised at all. Watchmen is a classic of the GN genre and is widely considered one of the best. Actually, my favorite graphic novels did pretty well. Maus and Dark Phoenix, and V for Vendetta. :thumbsup:

Oh yeah I totally voted for those three. :D Those were great. :excited:
No, not really surprised either, but I didn't PERSONALLY agree. But differences make the world go round.

Kidd Ikarus
07-08-2009, 05:38 AM
:) THANK YOU SO MUCH, GUYS!!!!!
I read it long ago and loved it since that moment. And here it's very hard to find...and really expensive!

So I couldn't be more happy! :) THANK YOU!!

That's awesome! About 6 months before the movie came out, every book store you can imagine became flooded with everything Watchmen by me. I think I even got mine on a special sale at Barnes & Noble for like 10 bucks. Congrats Ari.

Patrick
07-08-2009, 09:45 PM
:lol: Ari wins everything eventually. :lol:

:couple:

Very kind of both Darkers and Kidd to leave the prize in the pot.

I didn't vote in this contest as I have only read two of what turned out to be the top five.

WATCHMEN is simply brilliant. Far better and much more nuanced than the movie. I love THE KILLING JOKE. It is a big hole in my graphic novel experience that I have not read Spiegelman's MAUS. I plan to rectify that.

Great job running this big event, gang. And thanks to all the knowledgeable members who took the time to vote.