PDA

View Full Version : Gimme Three

Frunobulax
06-13-2009, 11:53 AM
OK, so this is kind of an experiment. Hopefully Jayson will contribute (since I'm asking him to now without telling him before hand).

HERE'S THE DEAL
Post three bands you really like. Like REALLY REALLY like. Like cannot live without like. Then, based on that, either Jayson or myself OR both of us with post a band we think you'll dig. Check 'em out and post back. If you hated it, how's about another one? OK? OK. Let's boogie.

Seymour_Glass
06-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Spoon
The Clash
Death Cab.

You totally already got this with the Thermals. I don't think a band has ever grabbed me like they have.

Frunobulax
06-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Pixies go without saying. The combo of the introspective side of Death Cab and the lo-fi of early Spoon with a dash of Clash would be a K Records stalwart (and personal all time favorite): The Microphones
Phil Elvrum's earnest lyrics about his life in both direct and highly abstract ways with stellar lo-fi production make this an amazing project. Best place to start is their masterpiece penultimate disc The Glow Pt. 2.

Seymour_Glass
06-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Oooh. I'll check check it.

All these musics.... I love 'em.

Heather19
06-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Excellent, I'm always looking for new music to listen to.

Dave Matthews Band
Tori Amos
Ryan Star

Frunobulax
06-13-2009, 01:35 PM
I think that you would appreciate the homegrown folk sounds of Adem. His delicate sound often revolves around acoustic guitars and memorable melodies. Start with his second disc, Love And Other Planets.

Heather19
06-13-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks, I'm off to try to track him down.

sarajean
06-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Pixies go without saying.

:lol: this would be my answer to everything. :ninja:

turtlex
06-13-2009, 01:40 PM
Oh, this is cool... Great Idea -

Now, let's see.... my music tastes are all over the place, nailing down three artists is near impossible. It'd be hard to pick three genres!

Pearl Jam ( probably my all time favorite )
Bruce Springsteen
The Beatles

Seymour_Glass
06-13-2009, 01:43 PM

agreed. They were number 4, actually.

Frunobulax
06-13-2009, 01:44 PM
Easy. Apollo Sunshine. Classic rock inspired, but with the edge of late period Beatles and the folksy kind of Springsteen lyrical style. I suggest either Katonah or Shall Noise Upon.

turtlex
06-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Thanks!! I'll check it out ! :couple:

sarajean
06-13-2009, 02:08 PM

agreed. They were number 4, actually.

FOUR?!

<_<

:P

Sam
06-13-2009, 03:02 PM
I'll play. Here's a list for you. Like turtlex, my tastes are tough to pin down. I decided not to jump around the genres though and left Johnny Cash out of the list.

Lynyrd Skynyrd
Led Zepplin
Ozzy Osbourne

Frunobulax
06-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Either Queens of the Stone Age and or Kyuss. Two great stoner rock bands with a nice hard rock edge. You shan't be disappointed.

sarajean
06-13-2009, 05:39 PM
both josh homme. nice choice, fruno. :thumbsup:

Odetta
06-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Pink Floyd
Metallica
Queen

Frunobulax
06-13-2009, 07:09 PM
How about some crazy psych speed metal? Go with BOTH The Faceless and 3 Inches of Blood.

jayson
06-13-2009, 08:00 PM
First, Fruno, love the idea. Glad to play along. :D

I'll play. Here's a list for you. Like turtlex, my tastes are tough to pin down. I decided not to jump around the genres though and left Johnny Cash out of the list.

Lynyrd Skynyrd
Led Zepplin
Ozzy Osbourne

I would think the Black Keys might be enjoyable for you as well. A little sparser as there are only two of them but still they make enough music for twice as many people.

Oh and Seymour, I knew the Thermals were can't miss for you. Glad you are liking them.

Jon
06-13-2009, 08:12 PM
Little River Band

Iron Maiden

Queensryche

Frunobulax
06-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Crack the Skye by Mastodon. Just trust me.

SigTauGimp
06-13-2009, 08:52 PM
hhmm....three bands, you say? I don't have a"top" list, per say...it all really depends on my mood...I'll throw out a few that I listen to on a semi-regular basis, at least. :P

Tool
Cinephile
Andrew White

Frunobulax
06-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Gonna say instrumental rock band Russian Circles. They incorporate a lot of Tool influence (they toured with them a while ago) and would appease the other sides of your taste. Their self titled EP is good, but their second LP is the best place to start. It's called Station. If you want a little less fidelity, go with their first LP, Enter.

Odetta
06-14-2009, 05:45 PM
How about some crazy psych speed metal? Go with BOTH The Faceless and 3 Inches of Blood.

I will have a lookie! Thanks!

SigTauGimp
06-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Gonna say instrumental rock band Russian Circles. They incorporate a lot of Tool influence (they toured with them a while ago) and would appease the other sides of your taste. Their self titled EP is good, but their second LP is the best place to start. It's called Station. If you want a little less fidelity, go with their first LP, Enter.

Thanks, Fruno! I'll be sure to check them out.

ola
06-14-2009, 09:49 PM
NIN (specifically The Downward Spiral and The Fragile, but not the most recent stuff)
Smog a.k.a. Bill Callahan
Broadcast

Frunobulax
06-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Lo-fi acid pop! Keyboards, bass, guitar, modified vocals, and drums made out of mouth and armpit sounds. Yes, you will like Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, especially their/his album Worn Copy. You would also like Mike Patton's latest band, Tomahawk.

Jon
06-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Crack the Skye by Mastodon. Just trust me.
Checkin' it out now.

ola
06-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Yes, you will like Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, especially their/his album Worn Copy. You would also like Mike Patton's latest band, Tomahawk.

I do like Ariel Pink, I've been listening to Worn Copy and the Doldrums quite a bit lately!

Haven't heard Tomahawk yet though, I'll try them out, thanks. :)

Jon
06-15-2009, 01:00 PM
I am hooked on Mastodon!

I enjoy the cryptic lyrics, the bands sounds nice and heavy and the lead vocalist isn't a "growler."

The vocals sound like Ozzy and Motorhead's lead man, Lemmy Kilmisterhttp/Ian Fraser Willis/Lemmy.

Thanks Matt!!!

flaggwalkstheline
06-22-2009, 05:02 AM
Modest Mouse
Tom Waits
Oingo Boingo

Brice
06-22-2009, 07:08 AM
The Grateful Dead
Misfits
The Beatles

And yeah, Mastodon is phenomenal.

Frunobulax
06-22-2009, 10:32 AM
flagg, you would probably enjoy the combo of the slightly amateur musicianship (a la early Modest Mouse), baritone vocals (like some Waits), and the pure joy (like early Boingo) of the K Records stalwarts Beat Happening. Start with Jamboree.

Brice! I just think you would like Quasi. Just try it out.

jayson
06-22-2009, 11:15 AM
flagg, you would probably enjoy the combo of the slightly amateur musicianship (a la early Modest Mouse), baritone vocals (like some Waits), and the pure joy (like early Boingo) of the K Records stalwarts Beat Happening. Start with Jamboree.

Good call on that one!

Also, for Brice, and I have said this to him before, the obvious answer would be Phish.

flaggwalkstheline
06-22-2009, 11:34 AM
The Grateful Dead
Misfits
The Beatles

And yeah, Mastodon is phenomenal.

methinks u would like the goons of doom

Frunobulax
06-22-2009, 12:25 PM
No. To me, Goons of Doom are just a shitty rehash of wannabe Sex Pistols ripoffs.

flaggwalkstheline
06-22-2009, 01:17 PM
No. To me, Goons of Doom are just a shitty rehash of wannabe Sex Pistols ripoffs.

aw no way they do alotta different types of music, way more varied than just hard punk

YouTube - Goons of Doom - Hello Kitty (Live Acoustic)

much as I love the pistols they never did anything quite like the goons of doom,theyre obviously an influence, but they are a punk band so that goes without saying

YouTube - Goons of Doom - Fingered

YouTube - GOONS OF DOOM, the devil

Frunobulax
06-22-2009, 01:24 PM
I will agree to disagree. They are not a good band. Period.

sarajean
06-22-2009, 01:52 PM

quoted for truth.

fruno:

pixies
beasties
mag fields

flaggwalkstheline
06-22-2009, 02:02 PM

WHAT!?! I cant hear you over the incredibly LOUD sound of the goons of doom!!

WHAT WAS IT U SAID? OH YEAH I KNOW HOW AWESOME THE GOONS OF DOOM ARE!

I'll not try to sell u on em and agree to disagree

Frunobulax
06-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Ah, Sarajean, three great bands. Well, you'd probably like the dance-punk of LCD Soundsystem and Hot Chip if you don't already listen to them. So if those two are already on your playlists, I'll have to say The Blow, especially their late period albums, will be your thing. The early period ones are mosly just Mikhaela Maricich with her guitar or uke (with some assorted beats here and there), but the later stuff has Jona Bechtolt (AKA YACHT) making some seriously amazing beats and grooves that would appease the Beasties fan in you.

Frunobulax
06-22-2009, 02:18 PM

WHAT!?! I cant hear you over the incredibly LOUD sound of the goons of doom!!

WHAT WAS IT U SAID? OH YEAH I KNOW HOW AWESOME THE GOONS OF DOOM ARE!

I'll not try to sell u on em and agree to disagree

Oh yeah, I saw Shellac on Saturday. Now that is loud punk that is actually worth giving a damn about. Played for TWO HOURS, including two songs over 10 minutes, each one louder and more intense. Best live show this year, hands down.

AlishaRiley
06-23-2009, 06:53 AM
Coheed and Cambria.
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds.
Old Crow medicine Show.

:) Thanks in advance, chaps.

Mad Man
06-23-2009, 06:55 AM
Why haven't I seen this thread before?! great idea :D

Sonata Arctica
Blind Guardian
Opeth

Good luck :)

jayson
06-23-2009, 07:10 AM
Coheed and Cambria.
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds.
Old Crow medicine Show.

:) Thanks in advance, chaps.

Alisha, I'm not sure if the Coheed fits into this recommendation, but a band that I think might appeal to your tastes with the other two would be Reverend Glasseye and His Wooden Legs.

Why haven't I seen this thread before?! great idea :D

Sonata Arctica
Blind Guardian
Opeth

Good luck :)

Mad Man, you might be another to whom the latest Mastodon album would appeal (if it's not something you already have). I also think the "post-rock" band Pelican might be to your liking. They certainly know how to do the heavy guitar thing to great effect. There are a few guys on my guitar forum that have similar taste in music to you and they took to Pelican very quickly when I suggested it to them. :D

AlishaRiley
06-23-2009, 07:44 AM
Thanks, Jayson! I'll give them a listen, right now.
:couple:

jayson
06-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Hope you like, Alisha. :)

Someone recommended them to me recently because of how much I love Tom Waits. It took me a few listens to warm up to them but the more I listened the more I got into it.

AlishaRiley
06-23-2009, 07:52 AM
I'm currently listening to seventeen lashes,
and it's definitely my style! :excited:

jayson
06-23-2009, 08:01 AM
:clap:

Frunobulax
06-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Alisha, you would also like Man Man.

Jayson, you're right on with Pelican and Crack the Skye. I also suggest Russian Circles.

AlishaRiley
06-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Fruno - they sound fucking awesome!
I'm listening to "Rabbit Habit" as we speak. :wub:

Thank you! :couple:

Mad Man
06-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Ok thanks guys. I checked 'em a bit now but will really get into 'em tomorrow. Then i'll come back here and give my opinion 'bout them :)

sarajean
06-28-2009, 07:03 AM
Ah, Sarajean, three great bands. Well, you'd probably like the dance-punk of LCD Soundsystem and Hot Chip if you don't already listen to them. So if those two are already on your playlists, I'll have to say The Blow, especially their late period albums, will be your thing. The early period ones are mosly just Mikhaela Maricich with her guitar or uke (with some assorted beats here and there), but the later stuff has Jona Bechtolt (AKA YACHT) making some seriously amazing beats and grooves that would appease the Beasties fan in you.

you were absolutely right.

thank you.

AlishaRiley
06-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Fruno's a fucking genius.
I haven't stopped listening to Man Man. :wub:
Thank you, so freakin' much, man! :dance:

Ozymandias
06-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Nirvana, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and the music of Battlestar Galactica

Frunobulax
06-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Try TV On the Radio.

sarajean
06-28-2009, 01:22 PM
i second that one.

:thumbsup:

Seymour_Glass
06-29-2009, 06:49 PM
I third that, and feel cool for having Dear Science.:cool:

Frunobulax
06-29-2009, 10:21 PM
I remember when Desperate Youth dropped. That's a great disc. Cookie Mountain is their crowning achievement, however. Gawd, I'm so ancient in indie years...

Seymour_Glass
06-30-2009, 04:54 AM
Whatzza disc, granpa?

jayson
06-30-2009, 05:21 AM
Gawd, I'm so ancient in indie years...

I shudder to think at what that makes me. :panic:

Darkthoughts
06-30-2009, 06:53 AM
sj passed The Blow on to me by way of a recommendation and I've downloaded Poor Aim already :thumbsup:

Um, ok - how about:

G Love And Special Sauce
Pop Will Eat Itself
Monster Magnet

sarajean
06-30-2009, 08:07 AM
sj passed The Blow on to me by way of a recommendation and I've downloaded Poor Aim already :thumbsup:

Um, ok - how about:

G Love And Special Sauce
Pop Will Eat Itself
Monster Magnet

:wub:

Claude Clay
06-30-2009, 08:59 AM
grateful dead
blind faith
the who/ pink floyd

...hit me with your best shot

or:

moby grape
ten wheel drive
free
spirit

sarajean
06-30-2009, 09:02 AM
:nope:

that's four.

cheating.

lose one.

Claude Clay
06-30-2009, 10:05 AM
---if i lose floyd than i would lose the spirit to:arg:

sarajean
06-30-2009, 10:07 AM
i'm just saying.

now you've posted 8. when the purpose is THREE bands you can't live without.

three.

:)

Frunobulax
06-30-2009, 10:26 AM
You's a dick, Sarajean! And I kinda like that sauciness...

ANYWHO,
Darkthoughts, look into Battles. It's the latest project from Ian Williams after he left Don Caballero. Math rock with a funk and hip-hop edge. Weird enough for stoner rock fans, accessible enough to get played a a party and get danced to.

Claude Clay, I'm sure you listen to Gentle Giant. How about S.F. Sorrow by The Pretty Things? It's better than Piper At The Gates and Sgt. Pepper, in my opinion.

sarajean
06-30-2009, 10:28 AM
You's a dick, Sarajean! And I kinda like that sauciness...

:lol:

i knew you would.

Claude Clay
06-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Frunobulax----G.G. yes [good call]
and i will try some pretty things, ty.

Brice
07-01-2009, 04:09 AM
How about S.F. Sorrow by The Pretty Things? It's better than Piper At The Gates and Sgt. Pepper, in my opinion.

I've never heard of them, but if it's half that good I need it.

jayson
07-01-2009, 05:24 AM
How about S.F. Sorrow by The Pretty Things? It's better than Piper At The Gates and Sgt. Pepper, in my opinion.

I've never heard of them, but if it's half that good I need it.

it's definitely half that good because a lot of albums are better than sgt. pepper. still not sure i'd put it above piper but you know how dear i hold that album. still, i think it's one you would really enjoy brice.

Darkthoughts
07-01-2009, 07:29 AM
Darkthoughts, look into Battles. It's the latest project from Ian Williams after he left Don Caballero. Math rock with a funk and hip-hop edge. Weird enough for stoner rock fans, accessible enough to get played a a party and get danced to.

:thumbsup: Cheers FunkmasterFrune! They're sort of a Gong hybrid and I love Gong!

I'm checking out everything you've recommended to everyone else aswell :cool:

sarajean
07-01-2009, 07:53 AM
:thumbsup: Cheers FunkmasterFrune! They're sort of a Gong hybrid and I love Gong!

I'm checking out everything you've recommended to everyone else aswell :cool:

that's not fair!

oh, wait.

yeah, i guess it is.

:ninja:

Darkthoughts
07-01-2009, 10:04 PM
:D

Frunobulax
07-07-2009, 07:36 PM
All's fair in music and war.
Piper is my fav Floyd, but there are times where it feels a little too acidy. S.F. Sorrow doesn't suffer from that.

cody44
07-07-2009, 11:25 PM
The Wallflowers
Bruce Springsteen
Peter Gabriel

is one side of my musical taste...

or...

Third Eye Blind
Collective Soul
U2

I cannot stand Syd Barrett Pink Floyd, but I love the Water years, and especially the Gilmour years.

KimDealisHot
07-08-2009, 12:25 AM
The Breeders (hence my name)
The Beatles
Weezer

(saying the Pixies is cheating)

And then the fun time Arena Rock side:
Blue Oyster Cult
Led Zeppelin
Extreme (Whee, funk metal)

Frunobulax
07-08-2009, 12:43 AM
Is it so hard to just list three? Seriously guys...

cody44, try Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. It's like Wallflowers, Springsteen, and all those other bands you listed but good instead of utterly useless ephemeral tuneage.

KimDealIsHot, Mr. Bungle and/or The Flaming Lips.

Hopefully people can list ONLY THREE LIKE THE TITLE IMPLIES and not four, or six, or fake sneaky ways like grouping into arbitrary genres that serve no purpose.

Frunobulax
07-08-2009, 12:44 AM
I cannot stand Syd Barrett Pink Floyd, but I love the Water years, and especially the Gilmour years.

You have no taste in Pink Floyd. When Waters left, all that was left was shit. Syd's one album and one song on Saucerful... were brilliant. Maybe you just don't "get" it.

sarajean
07-08-2009, 09:49 AM
Is it so hard to just list three? Seriously guys...

cody44, try Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. It's like Wallflowers, Springsteen, and all those other bands you listed but good instead of utterly useless ephemeral tuneage.
KimDealIsHot, Mr. Bungle and/or The Flaming Lips.

Hopefully people can list ONLY THREE LIKE THE TITLE IMPLIES and not four, or six, or fake sneaky ways like grouping into arbitrary genres that serve no purpose.
(additional bolding mine)

that is all.

jayson
07-08-2009, 10:07 AM
When Waters left, all that was left was shit. Syd's one album and one song on Saucerful... were brilliant. Maybe you just don't "get" it.

when roger left it ceased to be pink floyd
it became grey floyd
or the david gilmour band
but it was NOT pink floyd ever again

Frunobulax
07-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Amen, Jayson. You can easily argue that The Wall was the beginning of the end, a bloated concept album that showcased frustration and a lack of inspiration. And The Final Cut is basically The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, Vol. -1 in terms of its sound and songwriting structure used by Roger.

jayson
07-08-2009, 10:27 AM
couldn't agree more. the wall is much more the first steps at a roger solo album that happens to have dave, rick and nick as the band.

Frunobulax
07-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Then we have the horrors of A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell. And the whole Publius Enigma bullshit. Goddammit, why can't bands still be good after members leave? Zappa made it work - hell, some post Gabriel Genesis wasn't too bad! But Floyd started a slow downhill path ever since Syd left.

sarajean
07-08-2009, 10:33 AM
i love the turn this conversation has taken.

that is all.

jayson
07-08-2009, 10:34 AM
i believe that album is called a monstrous lapse of roger :rolleyes:

Frunobulax
07-08-2009, 10:39 AM
True true. Swiss Cheesus we've gone off topic.

cody44
07-08-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm sorry I listed more than 3 bands, I didn't think it would be to hard to just recommend two bands, but apparently I was wrong.

As for Syd, I do -get- it, and I think it is a decent album, but I couldn't disagree more. I love Pink Floyd for their progressive rock, and not their bloated psych rock. I listen to Pink Floyd for Gilmour's guitar and Waters' lyrics. On the other hand, I agree with you that S.F. Sorrow by the Pretty Things is one of the greatest albums. Maybe in the top five albums of the 60's.

Although, maybe I'll have to go back and give Piper another go through, it's been a few years since I actually sat down with it, and just played the full album, because their were very few tracks I enjoyed. Now on the other hand albums like Obscured by Clouds, Meddle, and Wish You Were Here are easy to listen to. Don't tell me I have no taste in Pink Floyd because I don't agree with you that Piper is the best and only true Floyd.

Frunobulax
07-08-2009, 02:58 PM
I think that one, you fundamentally misunderstood the intention of the topic. If you read my first post, it clearly lays out the rules for this. It's actually very difficult to analyze each band as a whole, then take them into consideration together when you don't know the person (Sarajean, Jayson, Jean, and I all have a very good friendship, so we can usually tell if one of us is going to like something). Also, Pink Floyd were never really "proggressive," unless you use the generic "long songs with many parts" definition of prog. They never really used outre time signatures or many prog ideals - King Crimson are prog. Rush are prog. Genesis (in their earlier days) are prog. Gentle Giant are prog. Pink Floyd are not prog. Frank Zappa is not prog (he's his own goddamn genre). Pink Floyd was and remained for a while, a psychedelic and experimental rock band with heavy blues leanings. It's hard to believe you when you say that Piper is "bloated psych rock," then you praise S.F. Sorrow as one of the greatest albums. S.F. Sorrow is far more bloated because it's a huge concept album with paragraphs of text in the gatefold. And it certainly was more psych than later Floyd - the Floyd you love so much. I'm not saying that Piper is the best and only true Floyd. I'm saying it's their best, because it was all downhill thereafter. Meddle is a good album, More has some great tunes, Ummagumma is a very good experiment in individualism that was prophetic. And Wish You Were Here ranks as one of their best post-Syd albums (sorry DSOTM, you get no love from me). I just think you have a severely undeveloped palate for music. It could be your age (although I was already heavily into 20th century classical, minimalism, prog, psych, undergroup rap & hip-hop, and heavy doses of FZ and Mr. Van Vliet by the time I was 16), or it could be your upbringing. Maybe you really just aren't as rabid an omnivore as I'm used to with music folken. Maybe I'm being too much of a dick. Or maybe, just maybe, you really don't understand music in terms of categorization, theory, and appreciation. Anything is possible, sirrah. Anything is possible.

Now I have to go listen to unreleased Suicide songs while reading the complete Lanny Budd series - the Santa Cruz library is fucking sick.

cody44
07-08-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm sorry, buy Pink Floyd is very much Progressive Rock & Space Rock (They began with Psych). My taste in music is very broad, just because I listed those bands, does not mean they are my favorite. I listen to a vast variety of music. Just because S.F. Sorrow has a lot to say, doesn't make it bloated. Bloated is very much a term relative to the person using it. My taste in music is obviously quite different than yours. Just because I'm 17, doesn't mean I must listen to the radio and eat up the shit that plays on it. I do enjoy a wide variety of music. I just recently took a class on Musical History, and I wrote my final on Pink Floyd.

I think maybe we have got off on the wrong foot, It seems to me that I have to defend myself from your point of view. I don't think my musical palate is weak in any respect, and I hope we can get along. It's obvious that you have a vast knowledge of music, and I always enjoy a debating.

It seems we agree to disagree on Floyd, whats our next debate on? m:pirate:

sarajean
07-08-2009, 03:53 PM
OK, so this is kind of an experiment. Hopefully Jayson will contribute (since I'm asking him to now without telling him before hand).

HERE'S THE DEAL
Post three bands you really like. Like REALLY REALLY like. Like cannot live without like. Then, based on that, either Jayson or myself OR both of us with post a band we think you'll dig. Check 'em out and post back. If you hated it, how's about another one? OK? OK. Let's boogie.

I think that one, you fundamentally misunderstood the intention of the topic.

just because I listed those bands, does not mean they are my favorite. i don't get why you chose them, then, if they're not your favourite "can't live withouts."

Frunobulax
07-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Well, actually they aren't. If you listed bands that you just like, then you again failed at the basis of this thread. Your definition of "bloated" is obviously very misinformed - it's not a relative term like "good" or "favorite." It generally has one definition in relation to music, music criticism, and the like. I think your taste in music is very narrow minded and obstinate in relation to criticism and that you are a very defensive person. Musical history - so you learned that all those supposed great composers wrote music for the king, that blues got stolen for rock, and that anything from the '70s usually falls into the prog or psych classification. Dude, argue all you want with me, but you simply aren't going to win. Not only do I have a one up on you in terms of years, but also in terms of the breadth of knowledge about music from all genres and bands from the modern pop to the olden obscure - I also have a one up since I'm an audio engineer. All I do is find out about music so I can translate every idea thrown at me. I now want to see what Jayson thinks about this whole kerfuffle. Until then, download some Nick Cave and bugger off until you listen to three of his discs at the very least.

jayson
07-08-2009, 06:04 PM
fruno asked me to weigh in and weigh in i shall as i cannot refuse fruno a request. :)

i'll stick to the pink floyd end of the discussion as it's a subject that i feel i can speak fairly well to. i suppose there are times when being the old guy comes in handy. :rolleyes:

regarding the "prog rock" label, i think that while it often gets applied retroactively to floyd, it's not particularly accurate and has more to do with their general influence on bands that came in their wake than anything in their music itself. with floyd, it's vital to define which floyd we are talking about in any given conversation because the three periods are so radically different, and as fruno previously brought up, there are really four periods if you take the wall/final cut waters period in its true light as the beginning of waters post-floyd period. so let's define our terms. i tend to refer to the barrett era as "the floyd," the waters era as "pink floyd" and the gilmour era as "grey floyd" (or more snarkily as "the pink floyd cover band featuring members of pink floyd"). there is no real genre label to accurately pin on the barrett era. "psychedelic" is a term devoid of meaning when you consider the expanse of music that has been tagged with this label. look at the music itself. are "astronomy domine" and "bike" and "lucifer sam" all the same genre of music? hardly. it's testimony to the genius of barrett that he had so many sides to his writing.

when syd broke down and roger was thrust into the primary writing role, it took awhile for him to find his own voice and comfort zone. things were certainly "experimental" but given the time period, that's true of a hell of a lot of bands so it's another term that i find overused, but ultimately devoid of meaning. with the appearance in their sets of songs like "embryo" and "echoes" roger's vision began to take shape. looking at those songs in particular as the template for what came after, i agree wholeheartedly with what fruno said earlier... they are longer songs with many sections, but the thing to consider is that they are still ultimately based in simplicity. to me, that is the key to pink floyd, simplicity. one of the common elements of many of the progressive rock bands is a near classical level of virtuosity from the players. yes, elp, genesis, king crimson, et al, these are guys that could outplay anyone any time backwards and forwards in any and every time signature known to man. this is not the case with pink floyd. this is not to suggest in any way that they were not "good" musicians because they knew what they were doing and played to their strengths but in point of fact, roger was never more than "competent" as a bass player. rick wright had an amazing sense of phrasing, but his playing was anything but complex. nick mason was all about the timing and the restraint and knowing exactly what to play when. and then we get to mr gilmour. i will be honest. i am a guitar player and i love much of gilmour's work. the guy has fantastic tone control and his phrasing is beyond influential. that said, he is no virtuoso with the instrument and the unabashed hero worship he receives usually serves to piss me off. as much as he has gotten great results, he does it through simplicity. his stuff is not always easy to play just like he plays it because so much of that is the feel he brings to it. but, from a purely technical point of view, the more i try to learn, the less complicated it seems and often i'm pleasantly surprised at how easy it can be. but that's floyd in a nutshell. not something i've experienced trying to learn steve howe or robert fripp riffs, that's for sure.

now that i've rambled on long enough to listen to even the longest versions of "echoes" (which, btw, has always been my fav floyd song) i will bring it to a close. i suppose it all really is illustrative of why i despise genre labels at all for music. if you look at my ipod you will see that there is exactly one genre on there, "music." when you listen to the amount of john zorn and tom waits and frank zappa and radiohead that i do, it often varies so much not only from song to song, but between several genres within single songs that putting labels on them is an exercise in ridiculousness.

cody44
07-08-2009, 07:06 PM
i don't get why you chose them, then, if they're not your favourite "can't live withouts."

@ sarajean Because I don't have a favorite band or musician. It is always changing with my mood. The point of this thread is to help people find new musicians to enjoy, just because I didn't post my favorites, doesn't mean you can't at least turn me on to new music that fits in that style.

@ Fruno As for you Fruno. I'm not trying to, "argue" with you. Even if you don't like it, Pink Floyd gets the Prog rock label. It's not that I believe they should be prog, but it's the label they get stuck into. I'm sorry that you think my musical taste is narrow minded, and their is nothing I can do to help sway your opinion. I recognize that Piper is a well loved album, and many people list it as their favorite. As much as your judging me based on one album, it just isn't for me. I don't like Syd Barrett's style, and I hope you can at least respect me for that. It doesn't mean much to me what you think of my musical taste, because you enjoy different music than me, and it doesn't really make my music any lesser. Your music has just impacted you in a different way than it has me.

@ R_of_G I agree with you that music doesn't easily fit into the labels that they get stuck into. I am also a guitarist, and I find that Gilmour has a style that has worked wonders for him. He is not a pioneer to music, but his style suits him and Floyd quite well. I am also quit fond of "Echoes" and all of Meddle, it is a very engrossing album. Just out of curiosity, how do you rank the Radiohead albums. I really enjoy the depth of their albums, and a lot of people really love them. (Rolling Stone comes to mind.)

Sorry to pull this thread off topic, I hope people continue to post their -three- bands so that you can recommend a new artist to them.

jayson
07-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Just out of curiosity, how do you rank the Radiohead albums. I really enjoy the depth of their albums, and a lot of people really love them. (Rolling Stone comes to mind.)

honestly, i try not to. i prefer to look them in historical context and as such, there's a natural progression there. pablo honey offers the most pure "songs" with few changes in style within songs, more straightforward lyrics, and a musical style centered around the three guitar sound. the bends continued this, but songs like "planet telex" show that thom and jonny were beginning to get something different in their heads about how they could sound. and then came the sea change with ok computer. it's really like nothing else. it's part miles, part mingus, part can, part ennio morricone, part pink floyd, but all radiohead. the depth of thom's writing and the evolution of what's become now his signature style of bits and phrases strung together became prominent over the more straight ahead narratives of the previous work. the music showed jonny gaining a mastery of the technology available to him and pushing things further and further from "songs" and into textures. and then came the twinners, the ones you either love or hate. i will state unequivocally, i absolutely love kid a and amnesiac. many here know that i refer to amnesiac as "kid b." those two albums offer not only some of their finest work (particularly "pyramid song" which might their single greatest recording) but really pushed the boundaries of what a band could do. people write a lot of it off as studio magic but they have either never seen rh live, or they missed the point. those albums provided them the impetus to learn to play those songs outside of a studio. they were forced to learn to use the technology available to them in a live setting. to watch jonny and ed work live is like a master class in effects. and at the root of it all, is always colin and phil, perhaps the most underrated rhythm section in all of music. to hear what phil can do night in and night out is nothing short of amazing. that guy IS a drum machine. and when they learned to play like that live, what you got as the next logical step was hail to the thief, the first full album of the new sound. once more thom made major strides in song writing and once more jonny found new and interesting ways to present these songs. guitars were prominent again, but so was the ondes martenot, and the banks of synths, and of course, the kaoss pedal (which nobody uses quite like jonny). in rainbows takes another step forward with their constantly evolving abilities to play these songs in one take and once more, thom's writing is maturing by leaps and bounds.

so while i often gravitate to certain albums when i am in certain moods, and even more often to the massive collection of live rh that i have, i cannot really rate them individually. they are all pieces of the large puzzle that is radiohead. there is no other band like them (though many have tried).

Frunobulax
07-08-2009, 11:32 PM
I agree with Jayson yet again. Radiohead albums are one giant stream, like how Phil Elvrum writes albums. Kid A and Amnesiac get a lot of play here, but so do all their other discs. It's just goot shid.

And Kaoss Pad = best multieffect ever.

jayson
07-09-2009, 04:49 AM
And Kaoss Pad = best multieffect ever.

without a doubt. i want one so badly but i also don't. i know if i got one i'd ignore everything else for months, maybe years.

Jean
07-09-2009, 05:00 AM
I can't believe I haven't taken part yet!

The Beatles
The Doors
Led Zeppelin

(old, old bear...)

jayson
07-09-2009, 05:32 AM
jean, the first band that comes to mind would be the black keys.

of the three you listed, the similarities to led zeppelin are the most immediate. musically, they remind me of many of the best aspects of zeppelin and while i admit, i love robert plant, dan auerbach is a significantly more appealing singer for me. there's an authenticity to his voice which becomes more and more rare as time goes on. while they don't sound much like the doors, they are heavily rooted in electric blues and should thus appeal to someone who does like the doors. as for the beatles, the bk's don't necessarily sound like the beatles, then again, who does? however, what they do share with the beatles is an innate pop sensibility. as bluesy and heavy as their music can be, much of it i find very accessible to people who may not have thought they'd be into them.

they also happen to do a particularly ripping cover of "she said, she said" which is what first brought them to my attention several years ago in my ongoing search to hear every good beatles' cover ever.

this video itself is terrible, but the sound is fine so close your eyes and enjoy...

black keys - she said, she said

and this one should illustrate what about them reminds me of zeppelin. to me, it usually brings to mind "how many more times?" from the first zeppelin album.

black keys - i got mine

Jean
07-09-2009, 06:07 AM
She Said She Said is actually one of my least favorite Beatles song, so it probably tainted my impression... but I liked I Got Mine - actually, quite a lot! thank you Jayson!

jayson
07-09-2009, 06:12 AM
while the song itself is not one of my favorites either, i do love to use "she said, she said" as an example to school people who spout the "ringo wasn't a great drummer" myth. that ringo didn't use a lot of complex techniques is deceptive and "she said, she said" is the perfect example of what ringo could do when he felt like going a bit outside 4/4.

glad you liked the bk's jean. there's a lot of great stuff in their catalog for anyone who enjoys well played electric blues. :)

pathoftheturtle
07-09-2009, 06:23 AM
Even though you know what you know, I know that I'm ready to leave, because you're making me feel like I've never been born.

AlishaRiley
07-09-2009, 07:31 AM
:ninja: That last page was an excellent example of brilliance. And not just because of the Black Keys videos...that is all.

sarajean
07-09-2009, 08:32 AM
:ninja: That last page was an excellent example of brilliance. And not just because of the Black Keys videos...that is all.

quoted for truth.

Frunobulax
07-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Hell yes. Black Keys would be my go to.