PDA

View Full Version : Treachery Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

dark_hour
04-23-2008, 01:34 PM
http://stephenking.com/assets/marvel_pr_lrh/
i was reading about the great sales of the long road home issue one and noticed it said ''Plus, don’t miss Dark Tower: Treachery #1, arriving in September following the exciting conclusion of The Long Road Home!''

so im guessing we dont have to wait a year! and we know the name as 'Treachery' also! not sure if this has been posted elsewhere

Matt
04-23-2008, 01:37 PM
Bev put it up, its in the announcements forum. So expect a merge on this thread soon. :couple:

But thanks for the info and I really love the name of the third arc. :excited:

Patrick
04-23-2008, 09:50 PM
Yes, we'll merge them at some point shortly, but I think dark_hour is correct insomuch as the story arc thread ought to eventually reside down here in the Comics forum with the rest of the Dark Tower comics announcements.

:)

Daghain
04-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Agreed. :)

Wuducynn
04-24-2008, 05:24 AM
Yes, we'll merge them at some point shortly, but I think dark_hour is correct insomuch as the story arc thread ought to eventually reside down here in the Comics forum with the rest of the Dark Tower comics announcements.

:)

Isn't this lovely? :rose:

MonteGss
04-24-2008, 02:51 PM
;)

CyberGhostface
04-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Do you think the title refers to Gabrielle?

jhanic
04-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Do you think the title refers to Gabrielle?

I doubt it. That area was pretty much covered in Wizard and Glass (Gunslinger Born).

John

CyberGhostface
04-24-2008, 05:59 PM
There's still a bit left for her story judging by the vision at the end of the novel.

jhanic
04-24-2008, 06:02 PM
It may be the "lead-in" to the arc, but I don't see that as having a whole arc's worth of story. I could be wrong, though.

John

Wuducynn
04-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Yeah, there is more to the story. I'm thinking that is it or part of it.

Brainslinger
04-25-2008, 02:53 PM
I definitely think that Gabrielle will be a part of it. The treachery might refer to Walter's new persona referred to in The Gunslinger as well. I'm thinking we'll probably see a certain old lady again...

I'm using the word 'lady' in the very broad sense of the the word of course.

Ha ha ha! (That was supposed to be a cackle.)

MaraJShakespeare
04-26-2008, 02:07 PM
I must say: thank all the gods who involve themselves with comics and/or graphic novels we won't be waiting until next damned February or March this time! And without creating any spoilers myself, I think the above speculations as to the meaning of the title are accurate but incomplete. Surely there will be some surprises; while everyone who has read Wizard & Glass knows what happens right after Roland gets home, we don't know much about what follows. . .

dark_hour
04-27-2008, 07:46 AM
yeah it was my bad not noticing the announcement, but i agree, i expected there'd be a treachery tread here anyway. i think everybody is extremely relieved that we dont have to wait but i think the tower has proved its selling power now to marvel. i think it wll deal with the treachery going on in gilead before any war happens, stuff similar to hax the cook i suppose. id guess if hax had no problem being a traitor that maybe its common practice that there'd be afew traitors to the good man.

jhanic
04-27-2008, 07:52 AM
I also found it interesting that this series is to be named "Treachery #1". Does this mean that one of the following arcs is going to be "Treachery #2"?

John

Wuducynn
04-27-2008, 07:57 AM
yeah it was my bad not noticing the announcement, but i agree, i expected there'd be a treachery tread here anyway. i think everybody is extremely relieved that we dont have to wait but i think the tower has proved its selling power now to marvel. i think it wll deal with the treachery going on in gilead before any war happens, stuff similar to hax the cook i suppose. id guess if hax had no problem being a traitor that maybe its common practice that there'd be afew traitors to the good man.

As far as I know the selling power wasn't why there was the wait between arcs, but because the artists involved needed a break.

Bev Vincent
04-27-2008, 08:19 AM
I also found it interesting that this series is to be named "Treachery #1". Does this mean that one of the following arcs is going to be "Treachery #2"?

I took it to mean #1 of the Treachery series in September.

Arthur Heath
04-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Hopefully at some point we'll get to see the Battle Of Jericho Hill in comic format.
That would make me happy.

Wuducynn
04-27-2008, 11:34 AM
The series of arcs was from the get-go to start at W & G and end at the Battle of Jericho Hill.

Steve
04-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Wasn't the ka-tet betrayed by one of their own at Jericho Hill?

Wuducynn
04-27-2008, 02:34 PM
*ahem* ;)

dark_hour
04-28-2008, 03:25 AM
well i think marvel put the break between gunslinger born and long road home because they were insure it would sell, when it did and it did brilliantly say thankee-sai they pretty much got the green light for the continuous series until conclusion. i think some of the artists who werent tower junkies and werent familiar with the tower (only king him) would have been unsure also, but when it turned out the tower so so mainstream popular and in turn there work there was no need for a gap.

CyberGhostface
06-17-2008, 09:26 AM
http://i.newsarama.com/preview_images/marvelnew/sept08/darktwrv3001_cov.jpg
DARK TOWER: TREACHERY #1 (of 6)
Written by ROBIN FURTH & PETER DAVID
Pencils & Cover by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE
Variant Cover by GABRIELE DELL'OTTO
Sketch Variant Cover by JAE LEE
The ka-tet of Roland, Alain and Cuthbert have returned safely to their home in Gilead. But all is not well. Roland has kept the evil Maerlyn’s Grapefruit and has become obsessed with peering into its pinkish depths despite the deadly toll it’s taken on his health. And what the young gunslinger sees brings him the darkest of nightmares. Meanwhile, Roland’s father has led a posse in search of those who threatened his son’s life in Hambry—John Farson and the Big Coffin Hunters. And in this encounter, Stephen Deschain’s life may be forfeit.

Brainslinger
06-17-2008, 01:13 PM
He doesn't look too well does he?
Steven actually going for the Hambry posse, wouldn't they be pretty much small potatoes at this point with the rest of the Farson business going down? Still, we'll see how it plays out...

WAG spoiler:
I hope they keep to the books continuity that it was a Sherif who finally did for Reynolds, rather than Steven Deschain.

CyberGhostface
06-17-2008, 05:51 PM
The sores around his lips make it look like he contracted an STD.

lophophoras
06-18-2008, 05:21 AM

LOL...That's what I was thinking.

Yuck!

;-P

Sai Farson
06-19-2008, 09:32 AM

:D Susan, I'm looking at you . . .

alinda
06-19-2008, 09:37 AM
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Is that Roland? :faints:

Brainslinger
06-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Someones been snogging Gasher....

No wonder they didn't get on...

Sai Farson
07-21-2008, 12:42 PM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/597/treachery2.jpgTHE DARK TOWER: TREACHERY #2

In Stores Now!!

Written by PETER DAVID & ROBIN FURTH

Art & Cover by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE

Variant Cover by PASQUAL FERRY

With the battle between the evil John Farson's Big Coffin Hunters and Steven Deschain and his gunslingers finally over, the true death toll is revealed. Will Roland's father be among the dead? Meanwhile, in Gilead, as Roland suffers from the after-effects of his multiple encounters with Maerlyn's Grapefruit, his ka-tet desperately requires his presence at the all-important coming-of-age feast the next night, or the consequences will be dire. Worse still, Cort, the gunslingers' mentor, has chosen his niece, Aileen, to become the betrothed of young Roland . . . and Cort rarely takes no for an answer

Click Here to Join the Discussion (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=3735)

So, I guess this is where all of the new characters from the Gunslinger's Guidebook start to make appearances . . .

Brainslinger
07-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Nice picture. Seems an interesting character. Sassy, too, but she might want to sort out that posture before she does her spine an injury in later life.

Not sure Cort would be the one to choose Roland's bride mind (that'd be his parent's role surely?) Mind you, Aileen is mentioned briefly in the Gunslinger (although not as Cort's niece, but that doesn't mean she wasn't), as is his parent's wish for their marriage. (I'm not sure if it's in both version of the Gunslinger though, I'll need to check.)

Makes you wonder why Roland didn't mention her more often in the books though. (But then maybe he did, just off-page as it were ;) ) Or maybe it was just another thing that ended painfully.

Daghain
07-22-2008, 08:12 AM
She's mentioned briefly in both versions of The Gunslinger and there was a big piece written on her in the comics. There is a Towerpedia (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1612) article on her as well. :)

Spencer
07-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Not sure Cort would be the one to choose Roland's bride mind (that'd be his parent's role surely?)

Unless Stephen's dead, which the promo seems to indicate he may well be.

Darkthoughts
07-22-2008, 09:52 AM
she might want to sort out that posture before she does her spine an injury in later life.

:rofl:!!!

She kinda looks like Cuthbert's twin sister.

Sai Farson
07-22-2008, 09:56 AM
she might want to sort out that posture before she does her spine an injury in later life.

:rofl:!!!

Eeeewww . . . it's like that episode of Seinfeld where George started dating the girl who looked just like Jerry.
:orely:

Brainslinger
07-22-2008, 12:54 PM

That's funny, I was thinking she looked like Susan's brunette twin. Look at the face, very similar. No doubt that's just Jae Lee's art style coming into play. (I don't meant that in a disparaging way, the picture is lovely.)

RUBE
07-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Steven can't be dead because in W&G they mention an attempt on his life was thwarted and then Roland found out that the knife that was suppose to be used came from his mother. Right? Or did I just make that up?

Brainslinger
07-22-2008, 08:42 PM
Steven can't be dead because in W&G they mention an attempt on his life was thwarted and then Roland found out that the knife that was suppose to be used came from his mother. Right? Or did I just make that up?

No you're correct. No doubt he will die at some point in the comic run but I doubt it'll happen this early.

bluelph24
08-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Lilja has some pics concerning Treachery 1, and some info regarding the release.

Wuducynn
08-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Mild spoilers below. Pictures from the arc.

http://liljas-library.com/img/other/treachery1_page1.jpg

http://liljas-library.com/img/other/treachery1_page2.jpg

http://liljas-library.com/img/other/treachery1_page3.jpg

http://liljas-library.com/img/other/treachery1v.jpg

The critically-acclaimed comic book series, inspired by Stephen King’s seminal Dark Tower, returns with the follow up to this year’s national best selling sequel with Dark Tower: Treachery #1 (of 6). After every best-selling issue of the fan-favorite Dark Tower: The Long Road Home, the all-star team of writers Robin Furth & Peter David, artists Jae Lee & Richard Isanove, joined by special guest variant cover artist Gabriele Dell’Otto, present Roland Deschain and his ka-tet after they’ve safely returned back to Gilead. However, all is not well on the homeward front. Roland has held onto the evil Maerlyn’s Graprefruit and grown obsessed with gazing into its pinkish depths regardless of the negative effects it has taken on his body. And what the young gunslinger sees brings may be more frightening than the darkest of nightmares! Meanwhile, Roland’s father and a posse are hunting down John Farson and the Big Coffin Hunters after they threatened the life of his son. And when he finally finds them, all may not go as well as expected.

To celebrate the release, Dark Tower: Treachery #1 goes on sale at 12:01 am, September 10th, at participating comic stores around the nation. Plus, Marvel is proud to announce they will be releasing a special top-secret gatefold midnight variant which is bound to please all Dark Tower fans.

Don’t dare to miss the series that everyone’s anticipating and never fails to wow the critics!

“The Dark Tower is some of Marvel's best work…They're delivering the next chapter in September. As the comics continue to venture farther out of King's original realm, my excitement continues to grow.” –Jesse Schedeen of IGN.com

“Jae Lee's haunting artwork and Stephen King's crumbling, dusty postapocalyptic world make for a powerful experience” – E.A. Solinas of TheFullReview.com

“The scripting by David is very strong, with a great sense of character…The artwork by Lee and Isanove remains spectacular as always…I'm really looking forward to the next announced Dark Tower series, to see what comes next in this gripping and thrilling tale.” – Adam Chapman of Comixtreme.com

It’s the next exciting chapter in the Dark Tower epic and no comic fan can afford to miss Dark Tower: Treachery #1 (of 6)! And be sure to check out Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born Premiere HC, collecting the best-selling, critically acclaimed Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born #1-7, in stores now!

http://liljas-library.com/

Míchéal
08-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Great pictures... roll on september.

Daghain
08-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Woohoo!

MonteGss
08-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Cool!

UnderTheKillingMoon
08-01-2008, 09:30 PM
where from the books are the extracting these stories? i dont recall a great depth of coverage referring to Roland's quest after killing the Big Coffin Hunters and before the Little sisters story?

Wuducynn
08-01-2008, 10:16 PM
They are all new stories.

CyberGhostface
08-02-2008, 08:28 AM
Yeah...the only one that was really an adaptation was The Gunslinger Born...the rest is going to be mostly original material.

Daghain
08-02-2008, 09:44 AM
They are doing it with King's blessing, so it's not like he doesn't know about it. ;)

Tatts4Life
08-02-2008, 08:57 PM
I wonder if they will write stories all the way up to the point where in the book the Gunslinger Roland is chasing the man in black.

Brainslinger
08-03-2008, 02:16 AM
I wonder if they will write stories all the way up to the point where in the book the Gunslinger Roland is chasing the man in black.

For now the arcs will culminate in the battle of Jericho Hill. It is certainly possible they might decide to do more later though.

LadyHitchhiker
08-03-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm so excited I could pee myself...

but I won't.

UnderTheKillingMoon
08-03-2008, 09:45 PM

For now the arcs will culminate in the battle of Jericho Hill. It is certainly possible they might decide to do more later though.

i think they should. theres still so much unaswered about the gunslinger's past that the books touch on, but not in great depth. thats what i was hoping for, a fill-in. I do think they'll take the series all the way to the end of Roland's quest. it'll take 10 years, but it'll be EPIC!

Tatts4Life
08-04-2008, 04:26 AM
i think they should. theres still so much unaswered about the gunslinger's past that the books touch on, but not in great depth. thats what i was hoping for, a fill-in. I do think they'll take the series all the way to the end of Roland's quest. it'll take 10 years, but it'll be EPIC!

That would be a lot of comics if they made the whole series into comics.

Matt
08-04-2008, 04:38 AM
I think just the material in between is going to be an amazing amount. It makes you wonder if he will just decide to adapt the story as well when the time comes though.

Brainslinger
08-04-2008, 04:45 AM
I think just the material in between is going to be an amazing amount. It makes you wonder if he will just decide to adapt the story as well when the time comes though.

I hope not, (I don't think I'd get the whole set in comic form) but I'm happy for the stuff between Jericho and Gunslinger to be covered. I'd prefer writing from King, (short stories or prequel novels) but I'd accept comics.

Wuducynn
08-04-2008, 06:22 AM

King did mention that he was thinking about it.

UnderTheKillingMoon
08-04-2008, 06:47 AM

That would be a lot of comics if they made the whole series into comics.

X-men and Batman will run into the thousands, this should too!

BillyxRansom
08-04-2008, 12:29 PM

King did mention that he was thinking about it.

do not want.

the story was told already, and there's no greater way to tell it than from the mind of the original writer himself.

turtlex
08-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Okay - I just found out that on Sept 10th, at 12:01 AM ( one minute after midnight ) there will be a special LAUNCH selling of Treachery #1 at participating Comic Book Store.... IMPORTANTLY - available ONLY AT THAT TIME - will be a limited edition variant cover of Treachery #1.

Now - I can't for the life of me seem to locate a list of comic book stores that are participating in this launch, so I can get one of these limited edition variant covers.

Has anyone found a list of participating comic book stores?

I have emailed my local store, but it's kind of small and not likely to be participating. Bummer !!!

Wuducynn
08-08-2008, 08:41 AM
http://www.marvel.com/i/content/st/4465new_storyimage7970268_full.jpg

Marvel is proud to unveil the cover to DARK TOWER: TREACHERY #1 Midnight Opening Variant! This revolutionary reverse gatefold cover features the iconic Dark Tower keyhole...but what lies behind this front cover? Available exclusively at comic book stores participating in the September 10 midnight opening for the hotly anticipated sequel to DARK TOWER: THE LONG ROAD HOME, this variant cover is a must-have for any Dark Tower fan! The all-star team of writers Robin Furth & Peter David, artists Jae Lee & Richard Isanove, joined by special guest variant cover artist Gabriele Dell'Otto, reunite for the next story of Roland Deschain and his ka-tet, but after recent events, their worst nightmares may become reality!

http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.4465.Dark_Tower~colon~_Treachery_Stri kes_at_Midnight

Daghain
08-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Ooh, that's a really cool cover! Looks to me like the rose is back there. :)

turtlex
08-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Yeah - it looks awesome!!

However - I cannot find a list of participating comic book stores!!

It's driving me nutso!

Wuducynn
08-08-2008, 10:59 AM
However - I cannot find a list of participating comic book stores!!

It's driving me nutso!

YOU ARE DOOMED!!!

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA HAHAH

Daghain
08-08-2008, 11:18 AM
:lol:

Matt
08-08-2008, 12:29 PM
I'm not sure where to begin even searching for a list of participating stores

Have you tried marvels Dark Tower site?

I think its...http://www.marvel.com/darktower

Brice
08-09-2008, 05:26 AM
There are no comic stores near me. :cry:

turtlex
08-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Yeah, I tried the Marvel site and the best I could come up with was a list of comic shops from the LAST midnight sale.

I have sent them emails, but haven't heard back.

Worst comes to worst - I might have to drive into Philadelphia ( about an hour ).

On a positive note - I will already be on vacation that week, so won't have to worry about getting off for work or anything.

I'll post if I find the list of participating comic shops.

Here's a site for finding your local shop ( US only, but there is an additional link for Ireland and the UK on the same page ) - - - http://www.comicshoplocator.com/ Some comic shops are small so there might be one near you and you don't even know it.

Brice
08-09-2008, 10:00 AM
I don't drive. Near is a relative term. Thanks though. :)

gsvec
08-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the heads up! I just called my comic guy and he's not doing the midnight opening but he's going to call Diamond and see if there's a way he can get some of the variants anyway (they usually need around 2 months notice from a comic shop for them to be able to participate). If he CAN get it - and get more than 1 - I'll post and let y'all know! :excited:

turtlex
08-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the heads up! I just called my comic guy and he's not doing the midnight opening but he's going to call Diamond and see if there's a way he can get some of the variants anyway (they usually need around 2 months notice from a comic shop for them to be able to participate). If he CAN get it - and get more than 1 - I'll post and let y'all know! :excited:

Gosh, if you could get me a copy, I'd be forever thankful.

I plan on getting as many as I am allowed to. I think, though, that might be a total of ... ONE ... not sure. My girl might go with me, so that's a possibility. Still waiting to hear from two different comic book stores about their participation.

matt g
08-15-2008, 02:04 PM
As far as new/alluded to story arcs, I think it would be interesting if they included Dennis & Thomas on thier chase for Flagg. I was always dissapointed that the mention in the books was only a sentence long. It deserved at least a paragraph.

jhanic
08-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Here's a copy of the back and front of the Treachery card/bookmark.

John

CyberGhostface
08-19-2008, 08:14 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/597/treachery3.jpgTHE DARK TOWER: TREACHERY #3

In Stores Now!!

Variant Cover by PASQUAL FERRY

The evil wizard Marten Broadcloak secretly visits Gabrielle, the disgraced wife of Steven Deschain, ruler of Gilead. He subtly manipulates her into agreeing to murder her own husband for him. But there is another mysterious figure with the same intention, so it will take all of Steven’s considerable prowess to survive the threats. Meanwhile, his son, the young gunslinger Roland, continues to stare blankly into the magic sphere called Maerlyn’s Grapefruit. And the things he sees are not for mortal eyes.

Click Here to Join the Discussion (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=4100)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/treachery21.jpgClick Here to View the Discussion for TREACHERY #2 (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=3735)
With the battle between the evil John Farson's Big Coffin Hunters and Steven Deschain and his gunslingers finally over, the true death toll is revealed. Will Roland's father be among the dead? Meanwhile, in Gilead, as Roland suffers from the after-effects of his multiple encounters with Maerlyn's Grapefruit, his ka-tet desperately requires his presence at the all-important coming-of-age feast the next night, or the consequences will be dire. Worse still, Cort, the gunslingers' mentor, has chosen his niece, Aileen, to become the betrothed of young Roland, and Cort rarely takes no for an answer.

CyberGhostface
08-19-2008, 08:20 AM
DT7 SPOILERS
I'm really hoping that the "Marten really did love Gabrielle" subplot comes to play in this arc, but I suppose that might come into conflict with the status quo of him being the left nut of Satan...

Brainslinger
08-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Ooooo missus!

Anyone guess who the mysterious figure is? (I think I know.)

That lovely little old lady o' the Coos.

Seems interesting as it suggests they're not working together. Which actually makes a lot of sense, the self centred nature of evil etc.

Daghain
08-19-2008, 04:13 PM
See, I would have said it's

Gabrielle

CyberGhostface
08-19-2008, 06:07 PM
He's probably referring to the "mysterious figure with the same intention" mentioned in the solict and not the girl on the cover.

Daghain
08-19-2008, 06:50 PM
Oh, well, in that case, my bad. :lol:

Wuducynn
08-20-2008, 06:06 AM
Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeext month! I can't wait! :thumbsup::rock:

Brainslinger
08-20-2008, 08:08 AM
He's probably referring to the "mysterious figure with the same intention" mentioned in the solict and not the girl on the cover.

Quite!

That'd be quite a makeover for Rhea wouldn't it?

(Snigger.) That was funny though.

Daghain
08-20-2008, 08:37 AM
Well, she does have the ability to use glammer, you know. :lol:

Brainslinger
08-20-2008, 08:48 AM
Well, she does have the ability to use glammer, you know. :lol:

That's a hell of a lot of glammer though isn't it? ;)

Still, there's that mushroom thing she tried with Sheemie....

You know.... the bit when he told her 'it had dropped off.'
:onfire:

Daghain
08-20-2008, 08:54 AM

jcf817
08-21-2008, 07:37 AM
I'm going to be on vacation in Yellowstone that week.
There's only one store in the metro area that has been doing midnight openings. Since, they're not my usual store, I don't know if they'll hold one for me, or if they're even doing the midnight thing this time.

If there's any chance that someone here could grab me a copy of the midnight variant, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

turtlex
08-21-2008, 10:15 AM
If I have any kind of chance to get one, and any extras, I will... but right now, just getting one isn't looking too good for me. :angry:

turtlex
08-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Hey - Finally some good news about the "Midnight" variant. This is unofficial, but per my ComicBookGuy ( who I get all my cgc graded comics from )....

He says "It's not accurate that they will ONLY be available the night of the launch, they will be there when the stores open in the morning. I'd imagine only the really big stores are opening at midnight (NY, LA, etc). Here where I live we need our sleep so our stores will treat it like a regular variant and open that day at the usual time."

So, that's great news if there are folks who don't have a midnight opening store near them.

Good luck to us all !

Wuducynn
08-22-2008, 08:39 AM
Hey - Finally some good news about the "Midnight" variant. This is unofficial, but per my ComicBookGuy ( who I get all my cgc graded comics from )....

He says "It's not accurate that they will ONLY be available the night of the launch, they will be there when the stores open in the morning. I'd imagine only the really big stores are opening at midnight (NY, LA, etc). Here where I live we need our sleep so our stores will treat it like a regular variant and open that day at the usual time."

So, that's great news if there are folks who don't have a midnight opening store near them.

Good luck to us all !

I've already pre-ordered and reserved every single copy at your comic store. Sorry about that.

Daghain
08-22-2008, 09:54 AM

turtlex
08-22-2008, 02:44 PM

Good luck to us all !

I've already pre-ordered and reserved every single copy at your comic store. Sorry about that.

This is the kind of luck I have sometimes :) !!!
Ah, the price I pay for being anal about my DT cgc comics!!!

I did laugh out loud though, when I read that, so thanks.

RUBE
09-11-2008, 03:38 PM
I bought and read this today. It was good for the most part. I am not sure if certain things fit (Bert and Alain acting like little kids at one point) but it definitely has me interested in where it will go with the new material added in. Even though I think this arc will still be mainly a story we know... the building up to Roland's matricide.

turtlex
09-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Well, here's a surprise, but I wasn't able to get a midnight variant !! Bugger !!!

They have started showing up on eBay, of course, for about 12-15 dollars. Of course, it will be a couple of weeks, to a month, before they come back from cgc and start showing up.

I am determined to get a 9.8 cgc copy. I'm hoping it isn't going to cost me too much.

Brainslinger
09-12-2008, 07:20 AM
I ordered mine late last night/this morning.

The ordinary edition though (I'm not shelling out that amount for a variant edition.)

turtlex
09-12-2008, 08:35 AM
I have, or am collecting, all three versions of each comic graded. So, I am really wanting a cgc of the midnight variant. It is pricey, for sure, but I love comics and I love the Dark Tower, so it's a fun and good investment.

I have a specific dealer I use for cgc, and I also watch ebay, of course. I'm sure I will get one, just a matter of how much it will cost.

The Jae Lee sketch variant are all over the place - anywhere from $50 to more than $100 for the first couple from Gunslinger Born.

Wuducynn
09-14-2008, 04:41 PM
I REALLY enjoyed this issue. Especially the scenes with the Tower and the CK and the Steven and Company in action. Oh and the subplot of the gunslinger apprentices being filled with hate for Alain and Cuthbert. Very interesting to see where this is all going.

Daghain
09-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Oh man, just a few more days 'til I have mine! I'm all :panic:

Sounds great!

Wuducynn
09-14-2008, 08:54 PM
What are you doing posting in the spoilers thread? Bad girl!

Daghain
09-14-2008, 09:36 PM
Eh, spoilers don't bother me. :lol:

Tatts4Life
09-15-2008, 09:32 AM
crap I need to pick this up later this week when I'm close to my comic store. I didn't realize it was out all ready. Isn't there also one based on The Stand out now also?

Daghain
09-15-2008, 09:45 AM
I do believe that one is out as well. :)

Brainslinger
09-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Received and read mine today.

Overall a good read I thought. I actually wasn't too keen on the Crimson King bit. It's just starting to feel a bit repetitive and took away from the mystery of the character since we just had that stuff in the previous arc. Besides, the books suggest he didn't journey right in after he arrived in Gilead, although he certainly did look in it, in the way Rhea does. I can understand why they're taking that route though as it's certainly more dynamic in the comic format.

The rest of the story was fine though. I was a bit worried when I saw the synopsis stating that Steven and the other gunslingers were hunting down the big coffin hunters. It gave the impression that it was the survivors of the Hambry posse they were hunting. From what I've seen actually in the comic it's a something else though, the ongoing campaign with Farson's other troops, which fits in much better with the books continuity. So that's good.

Robin Furth's bit at the end was a nice overview, but I'd rather have had something a bit more original. Or perhaps a more concise description and something else as well. I liked the emphasis at the end though, that the gunslingers will be facing their own gunslinger trained comrades.

herbertwest
09-18-2008, 08:30 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/597/treachery4.jpgTHE DARK TOWER: TREACHERY #4

In Stores Now!!

Variant Cover by RICHARD ISANOVE

Due in part to the Good Man Farson's defeat in Hambry, his forces are momentarily weakened. If Steven Deschain and his gunslingers can mount a surprise attack they will not only defeat Farson, but also destroy the arsenal Farson has acquired to destroy Gilead. But is there a traitor in their midst who will alert Farson to the plan? This one you cannot miss!
Parental Advisory …$3.99

Click Here to Join the Discussion (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=4691)

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/treachery31.jpgClick Here to View the Discussion for TREACHERY #3 (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=4100)
The evil wizard Marten Broadcloak secretly visits Gabrielle, the disgraced wife of Steven Deschain, ruler of Gilead. He subtly manipulates her into agreeing to murder her own husband for him. But there is another mysterious figure with the same intention, so it will take all of Steven’s considerable prowess to survive the threats. Meanwhile, his son, the young gunslinger Roland, continues to stare blankly into the magic sphere called Maerlyn’s Grapefruit. And the things he sees are not for mortal eyes.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/500/treachery21.jpgClick Here to View the Discussion for TREACHERY #2 (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=3735)
With the battle between the evil John Farson's Big Coffin Hunters and Steven Deschain and his gunslingers finally over, the true death toll is revealed. Will Roland's father be among the dead? Meanwhile, in Gilead, as Roland suffers from the after-effects of his multiple encounters with Maerlyn's Grapefruit, his ka-tet desperately requires his presence at the all-important coming-of-age feast the next night, or the consequences will be dire. Worse still, Cort, the gunslingers' mentor, has chosen his niece, Aileen, to become the betrothed of young Roland, and Cort rarely takes no for an answer.

Brainslinger
09-18-2008, 09:33 AM
What a freaky image!

Hee hee. (And to think I thought the woman might be Aileen in that small picture.)

fernandito
09-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Not sure how I feel about the introduction of Cort's daughter (?) ...

:|

Brainslinger
09-20-2008, 04:36 PM

I saw that too. According to the companion book she is his niece. I assume they mean 'daughter by adoption' as in he brought her up (or they just made a mistake.) As for the character herself, she is mentioned in the books (The Gunslinger I believe) but her origins are not covered.

Daghain
09-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Check out the article on her in the Towerpedia thread. 99.9% of that is from the comics.

Supposedly she is his niece, but he raised her. I too found it a bit strange she suddenly got a large part in the comics, since she's barely mentioned in the books, but I guess that's part of the stuff the comics are trying to fill in.

Daghain
09-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Just finished reading this - excellent! I always wondered if Cuthbert and Alain passed their tests in the "traditional" way - I like the way the storyline is going there. Lots of room for speculation, for sure.

Matt
09-22-2008, 06:27 AM
I like the idea of the Gunslingers having to face "their own" in the war to come.

I was also very interested to see Bert and Alain made gunslingers that way, like Daggers, I always wondered how it came down--I also wonder how long it took Cort to recover :orely:

I don't blame the others for being pissed, I wonder if that kind of thing has ever been done before.

And lastly...did the grenade kill Steven?

Daghain
09-22-2008, 07:57 AM
I think it got Farson's men.

Matt
09-22-2008, 08:26 AM
Steven's posse shot Farson's men. Then it was one of his men (shot) that had the grenado right?

Steven was standing right there :panic:

Daghain
09-22-2008, 09:33 AM
Well, they want you to think that, anyway. But I'm pretty sure that's not going to be the case.

Matt
09-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Hmmmm...I'm not sure I think it but he sure was right there and it isn't easy to survive a grenade explosion that close.

I'm sure he got behind a tree or something. :lol:

Daghain
09-22-2008, 10:07 AM

Well, this could be the way Steven dies, since they don't really say in the books, at least not that I can remember. :panic:

Wuducynn
09-23-2008, 06:05 AM
I don't think it did say how Steven died in the books. Now you've got me wondering and I don't have my Complete Concordance with me. :(

Daghain
09-23-2008, 07:13 AM
Well, I went back and looked at my Towerpedia article, and it's not in there. I'm thinking if I had run across it, I would have put it in. Which makes me think it's not in the Concordance. :panic:

RUBE
09-23-2008, 09:48 PM
This is not how Steven dies! It would make the plot to kill him involving Gabrielle pointless. This plot was mentioned in the books. Just look at the thread here for Treachery #3. We don't know how Steven actually dies but it is not here. My guess is that the Charles character that they just introduced dies because he actually seems to be the closest.

Daghain
09-23-2008, 10:01 PM
Well, we really never hear how he dies, but yeah, the comic has not covered Gabrielle's deception yet. So, the next issue should be VERY interesting.

Matt
09-24-2008, 06:15 AM
I figured it couldn't be you guys but Steven is right in the fore ground of that explosion so its weird that they wrote it that way.

I'm interested to see what happens in the next issue too.

ManOfWesternesse
09-24-2008, 07:06 AM
..... the Charles character that they just introduced dies because he actually seems to be the closest.

Was Charles (son of Charles?) the Gunslinger who hung Hax in the revised?? :unsure:

Daghain
09-24-2008, 07:21 AM
It's like a mini-cliffhanger. :lol:

Matt
09-24-2008, 07:32 AM
Totally! And its funny because I didn't even realize it was Steven standing there until I looked at the sketch art in the back.

I love those little things, all square with their names on the figures. :lol:

Daghain
09-24-2008, 07:42 AM
That is pretty cool. I got that it was Steven right away, but I thought maybe he'd gotten far enough away.

Damnit, now I'm going to be impatiently waiting for the next issue!

RUBE
09-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Maybe, in a bit of irony, he just loses a couple fingers and toes...

Daghain
09-24-2008, 04:47 PM
LOL!

Brainslinger
09-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Here's a sketch variant from Treachery on Lilja's site:

http://www.liljas-library.com/img/other/treachery2s.jpg

... and she's arching her back again. Saucy minx.

Edit- thanks whoever editted my post with the correct image link.

Daghain
09-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Wow! That's intriguing.

Wuducynn
09-27-2008, 07:40 PM
http://www.liljas-library.com/img/other/treachery2s.jpg

Brainslinger
09-27-2008, 08:14 PM
Cheers CK.

Patrick
09-29-2008, 09:01 PM

Check out the article on her in the Towerpedia thread. 99.9% of that is from the comics.

Supposedly she is his niece, but he raised her. I too found it a bit strange she suddenly got a large part in the comics, since she's barely mentioned in the books, but I guess that's part of the stuff the comics are trying to fill in.
That's exactly why I'm looking forward to her introduction - something new.

----

I don't think Steven died from the grenade. Maybe the other, closer guy saw it and on instinct jumped on it to save his friend.

Or on instinct threw it away with his lightning quick gunslinger hands, but that wouldn't be as believable.

Anyway, Steven is still alive. It would be too big a plot point to let be ambiguous.

CyberGhostface
10-02-2008, 09:00 AM
I'm beginning to think The Gunslinger Born was a fluke in terms of bad writing, because I'm enjoying this arc so far as well. :thumbsup: One question...can someone explain the significance of the last page? Are we supposed to know that guy?

RUBE
10-03-2008, 10:11 PM
Uh... what exactly is happening in that sketch?

Wuducynn
10-03-2008, 11:32 PM
Getting ready for anal sex,what else?

gsvec
10-04-2008, 05:25 AM
:rofl:

MonteGss
10-04-2008, 07:00 AM

That's funny, I was thinking she looked like Susan's brunette twin. Look at the face, very similar. No doubt that's just Jae Lee's art style coming into play. (I don't meant that in a disparaging way, the picture is lovely.)

Aweseom picture. I think she looks a bit like a female Marten.

Daghain
10-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Oh you know, now that you say that....yeah, I can see it. :)

Brainslinger
10-04-2008, 12:52 PM

And she's the one at the back.... (maybe she'll utilize her shooting iron...ouch.)

Definitely an enterprising tomboy of a girl.

jayson
10-04-2008, 01:37 PM

I think it looks as if she's about to take a crap.:evil:
And I definitely see the similarity to Marten that Monte noted. I think it's the hair.

LadyHitchhiker
10-04-2008, 03:15 PM
I am so excited about Aileen... she looks like a female gunslinger and I think it'll be nice to have a new one...

(I was going to name my little girl Eileen if I ever had one...)

Brainslinger
10-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Also the first name of the author who wrote "Tragedy on the Cliff."

Yes, Miss Dover had a lot of talent. Such a waste.

A ghostwriter obviously.

MonteGss
10-05-2008, 01:51 PM
And I definitely see the similarity to Marten that Monte noted. I think it's the hair.

Yes, but also the eyebrow and eye for me.

Wuducynn
10-05-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm just hoping they have a better end-story this upcoming issue. I liked it alright, but this is the first one where I enjoyed the main story more than the end-story.

Daghain
10-05-2008, 08:30 PM

Brainslinger
10-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Yeah. I think the main problem with the back-story this issue is that they were pretty much reiterating stuff that we know already. Even those who have haven't read the books, and have only followed the comics were introduced to the gunslinger coming of age battle. I think the only thing new that we gleaned from this story was the fact that a substantial amount of those who are sent West end up in Farson's army... but considering Jonas that's not much of a stretch.

(I still don't entirely buy that old grass chewer Depape aced in the first series being an ex-apprentice though. Liberties are expected in these works, but I think they should have left that character as he was in the books.)

Aaron
10-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Doh!

Brainslinger
10-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Ok, my copy came today. It's weird, but I feel like this is the third issue for some reason. I can hardly believe we're just 2 issues in.

Cover- Nice and cheeky. Not sure why Aileen has two guns, but I guess it could be argued this is her fantasy.

Main strip- Great! Funny gag with Cuthbert. I thought it a bit strong that Bert demanded a shoot-out with his mates when he too offence at their joke. I guess it follows with the whole gunslinger bite thing, and he probably wouldn't have carried out his threat.

It feels like there is a gap in the story though. We see Aileen shoot Cuthbert's clothes, then she is by herself crying. So.. did they just walk away? I guess we'll just assume any altercation that happened later just happened of-page, but it feels like a couple of pages are missing from my issue.

Women of Mid-World and the cult of Oriza- Some stuff I knew already, but some interesting information. Preferable to last month's.

I got the impression that the Ladie's of Oriza was mainly a Calla phenomenon, but I guess it's possible other women would have joined outside the Callas. Roland didn't appear to know about the ladies training with plates in Wolves of the Calla, but the women were pretty secretive. Makes sense considering the patriarchal society.

Robin Furth Interview: I think I might have read some of this already, but it was interesting. Especially the strange Tower dreams and 'ghostly visitor.' Before she even read the books or started on her initial project too. Hmmmm....

Geomon
10-11-2008, 10:33 PM
Read the issue tonight. Have to say I'm really liking Aileen as a character here. I don't think she would've worked out so well as a character in the books but in the comics she seems to fit right in to the story (at least to me anyway).

Ruthful
10-18-2008, 11:40 PM

It does like something you'd see on the cover of Bend-over Boyfriend, doesn't it?

Anyway, this issue was okay. I still wish they would focus less on elaborating upon tertiary characters-or inventing characters out of whole cloth-and more on the actual events that set the destruction of Gilead into motion. In that respect, I liked this issue, because we began to get a sense of how The White began to be undermined.

Wuducynn
10-20-2008, 06:05 AM
I enjoyed the issue quite a bit. The whole "feminist" theme of it is what bothered me the most. I was worried that Furth would try to insert some of her modern ideas into the series and up until now it hadn't happened. Oh well, I still enjoy learning about how everything played out. I'm looking forward to more of the story focusing on Steven and his ka-tet.

Brainslinger
10-21-2008, 01:30 AM
I enjoyed the issue quite a bit. The whole "feminist" theme of it is what bothered me the most. I was worried that Furth would try to insert some of her modern ideas into the series and up until now it hadn't happened.

I know what you mean, as the thought occurred to me too. Sure, that world's society is very patriarchal, but I didn't necessarily see it quite as negative towards the female as described in the end part. Then again, it also occurred to me that in a world where young women can be given as gillies to landowners, I could be wrong.

I like the fact we have such strong female characters in the book though. Both on the side of good and bad.

As for Aileen, she's certainly an interesting character. I Kind of have mixed feelings towards the role she is taking. On one hand King made very little mention of her, and if she had been a gunslinger in her own right (albeit an unrecognized one) he would have. Therefore maybe Robin shouldn't put her in that role (although it is good that we know more of Aileen herself, as the betrothal to Roland is mentioned.) On the other hand, considering the fact Roland made a woman a gunslinger in the books, this could be a little foreshadowing of that. Possibly even part of the reason Roland went ahead and did it.

I'm happy enough to go with it and see how it works out for now.

Ruthful
10-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Why is Jamie DeCurry and his sidekick getting so much pub? Does that mean he'll play a larger role than the one originally sketched out by King?

Wuducynn
10-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Why is Jamie DeCurry and his sidekick getting so much pub? Does that mean he'll play a larger role than the one originally sketched out by King?

We'll find out.

CyberGhostface
10-21-2008, 10:48 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/612/Treachery5Regular.jpg

DARK TOWER: TREACHERY #5 (of 6)

IN STORES: January 28, 2009

Pencils & Cover by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE

Variant Cover by DANIEL ACUÑA

Sketch Variant by JAE LEE

In the midst of Gilead’s coming of age party for Roland and his ka-tet, the treacherous Walter O’Dim and the Good Man John Farson have enlisted Steven Deschain’s wife, Gabrielle, in a deadly scheme to assassinate Gilead’s ruler. Once Deschain has been removed, the path to Maerlyn’s Grapefruit will open wide for the Crimson King and his minions to reclaim the nightmare-seeing sphere and plunge all of Mid World into chaos.

Parental Advisory…$3.99
©2008 Stephen King. All rights reserved.

Sai Farson
10-21-2008, 10:51 AM

Both Jamie DeCurry and Thomas Whitman (along with Aileen, General Grissom, and the Good Man's nephew James) were pretty well fleshed out in profiles contained in the Gunslinger's Handbook which was released with the first series. It makes me think that (like Aileen) Jamie, Thomas, Grissom, and James will play major roles before the Battle of Jericho Hill is upon us. :rock:

I think this is a good thing. The series would get boring if it focused on the same eight characters (Roland, Cuthbert, Alain, Cort, Steven, Gabrielle, Walter, and the Crimson King) the whole way through.

Sai Farson
10-21-2008, 10:59 AM
The Good Man is dead.

Long live the Good Man!!

I can't wait to see Daniel Acuna's variant cover! :onfire:

CyberGhostface
10-21-2008, 11:50 AM
When did he die?

Wuducynn
10-21-2008, 05:17 PM
I think this is a good thing. The series would get boring if it focused on the same eight characters (Roland, Cuthbert, Alain, Cort, Steven, Gabrielle, Walter, and the Crimson King) the whole way through.

Agreed.

Ruthful
10-21-2008, 07:10 PM

What about Desmond? Wasn't there some mention of him in one of the books-perhaps Wizard & Glass, or The Gunslinger?

Wuducynn
10-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Drawing of the Three I believe. He yells Desmond's name when he sees the giant leaning tower.

Matt
10-22-2008, 11:11 AM
I believe that is just his mask. :drool:

Rjeso
10-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Good god, goosebumps all over again, just from looking at that cover...

And yeah, it is just his mask. :)

Matt
10-22-2008, 11:20 AM
**winks at Laura**

<snicker>

CyberGhostface
10-22-2008, 03:36 PM
I know that's just a mask. I only read the first issue, so I was wondering if it was in reference to something I haven't read yet, that's all.

Brainslinger
10-22-2008, 04:52 PM
So, is all that hair part of the mask? Or did Farson get partly scalped as the mask was removed? :pullhair: Hyuk, hyuk!

Daghain
10-23-2008, 09:30 PM
I enjoyed the issue quite a bit. The whole "feminist" theme of it is what bothered me the most. I was worried that Furth would try to insert some of her modern ideas into the series and up until now it hadn't happened. Oh well, I still enjoy learning about how everything played out. I'm looking forward to more of the story focusing on Steven and his ka-tet.

As a woman, I had a few "WTF" moments, especially in the extra info.

We KNOW Gilead was patriarchal society. And yes, I was secretly overjoyed that girls like Aileen were trying to "break the mold". But still, I got the impression someone was trying for a teaching moment here. Yeah, patriarchal societies are kind of over now, but stop trying to integrate 21st Century beliefs into earlier social constructs. Seriously.

And yeah, that narrator is getting freaking annoying!

Matt
10-25-2008, 06:42 AM
I haven't read it yet. :arg:

However, someone at the SKMB pointed this out.

Hey guys,

I just finished reading The Dark Tower: Treachery 2 and was wondering if there was a mistake in the text.
When Aileen recites the Gunslinger Litany I do understand that she does that in the "female version" but in the first sentence she says:

"I do not aim with my eye. She who aims with her eye has forgotten the face of her mother. I aim with my hand."

Shouldn't it be the other way around?
I do not aim with my hand, I aim with my eye??

Or was that done on purpose?

This was Ms. Mods response

I've forwarded the question to Robin and will get back to you when I get her response.

Did anyone else see or notice this?

Wuducynn
10-25-2008, 07:33 AM
No, I hadn't. *Goes to check*

Matt
10-27-2008, 06:26 AM
From Ms. Mod on the above issue:

I heard back from Robin and she says she is very embarrassed as this was a mistake that did not get caught. She is going to let Marvel know that it will need to be fixed for the hardcover release and passes along her compliments to Nikky for the good catch. http://www.stephenking.com/forums/images/smilies/smile2.gif

Matt
10-27-2008, 06:27 AM
From Ms. Mod on the above issue:

I heard back from Robin and she says she is very embarrassed as this was a mistake that did not get caught. She is going to let Marvel know that it will need to be fixed for the hardcover release and passes along her compliments to Nikky for the good catch. http://www.stephenking.com/forums/images/smilies/smile2.gif

Wuducynn
10-27-2008, 07:14 AM
The post so nice it got posted twice! :harrier:

Daghain
10-27-2008, 08:06 AM
Hey, does that make our comics worth more? :lol:

turtlex
10-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Ohhhh I smells a collectible !

Brainslinger
11-14-2008, 09:36 AM
http://www.liljas-library.com/img/other/treachery3_rev.jpg
That's a huge bug to crawl out of the old ladies drawers isn't it? You might need a salve for that me ol' darlin'. ;)

Liljas's review is here. (http://www.liljas-library.com/showreview.php?id=190)

I kinda wish I didn't read this before the issue as it spoils a bit but I seem to have a low resistance to my next little fix.

RUBE
11-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Since when did Rhea become part spider? Or is that just because she is in Roland's vision?

Brainslinger
11-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Since when did Rhea become part spider? Or is that just because she is in Roland's vision?

I don't think she is. The image isn't too clear, but I think the spider is in the foreground, she is behind. Maybe this is a palaver between Rhea and the Crimson king? I've place my order already, I'll find out soon.

Daghain
11-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Mine is in process. SOON SOON SOON!!!!!

Sai Farson
11-17-2008, 09:48 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/612/medium/Treachery6Regular.jpg

DARK TOWER: TREACHERY #6

IN STORES: February 25, 2009

Art and Cover by JAE LEE & RICHARD ISANOVE

Variant Cover by TBA

Sketch Variant by JAE LEE

In this final issue of the arc, Cort, the trainer of gunslingers announces that Gilead has been infiltrated. The man responsible is one of John Farson's spies and most likely has not been working alone. And the ultimate goal of the infiltration is the theft of the immensely powerful mystical object which Roland Deschain stole and brought to Gilead—Maerlyn's Grapefruit!

40 PGS./Cardstock Cover/Parental Advisory…$3.99

Daghain
11-17-2008, 01:05 PM
That cover is wicked.

Wuducynn
11-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Just read my copy that I bought tonight. Best issue yet of Treachery! Really exciting and well done. Loved the part where Roland saw Rhea flying to Gilead on a spider. And learning about the Little Sisters of the Rose, very cool, I've always wanted to know about the background the Little Sisters of Eluria. More fantastic artwork.

Wuducynn
11-17-2008, 05:36 PM
That's one of my favorites, the cover of issue 2 The Gunslinger Born is still the top favorite. :harrier: :cool:

MonteGss
11-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Awesome cover!

Brainslinger
11-18-2008, 07:38 AM
Just read my copy that I bought tonight. Best issue yet of Treachery! Really exciting and well done. Loved the part where Roland saw Rhea flying to Gilead on a spider. And learning about the Little Sisters of the Rose, very cool, I've always wanted to know about the background the Little Sisters of Eluria. More fantastic artwork.

Yep, got and read mine today too. I wonder at the part with Rhea as a spider though. I hope this is just a symbolic scene of future/present events rather than literal. (I.e. a metaphor of her nature, and the fact that she is there due to the machinations of the Crimson King.) The were-spider thing can get over-done.

Great issue though, this arc is shaping up really well. I'm hoping the scene with Rhea and Steven is either a potential future outcome rather than a viewing of current events. (I think that's the case, I'm sure he's not quite back from his journey yet.) It's too early yet what with the poison knife plot and all.

I loved the story concerning the Little Sisters. (Interesting they linked them with the Debaria nuns!) I would have liked more detail as to the nuns staking of the vampires though. Did they sneak on them during the day as they slept? Was there a battle? It would require more space... but we could sacrifice that list of characters at the end, something most should know already unless they jumped straight into the series in this arc. I'm assuming that shape that escaped is the elder sister we met in Little Sisters of Eluria, and the other nuns are more revenants she created later. There's another tale in there somewhere, particularly where Jenna is concerned.

In short, good continuation of main story, 1 good extra story, 1 filler. Oh and the sketches which I think are great and worthwhile.

MonteGss
11-18-2008, 07:59 AM
I liked this issue of Treachery the best so far! I like this arc as much as I enjoyed the first one.

Brainslinger
11-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Great cover, poignant and eerie.

Wuducynn
11-18-2008, 04:37 PM

Yep, got and read mine today too. I wonder at the part with Rhea as a spider though. I hope this is just a symbolic scene of future/present events rather than literal. (I.e. a metaphor of her nature, and the fact that she is there due to the machinations of the Crimson King.) The were-spider thing can get over-done.

Great issue though, this arc is shaping up really well. I'm hoping the scene with Rhea and Steven is either a potential future outcome rather than a viewing of current events. (I think that's the case, I'm sure he's not quite back from his journey yet.) It's too early yet what with the poison knife plot and all.

I loved the story concerning the Little Sisters. (Interesting they linked them with the Debaria nuns!) I would have liked more detail as to the nuns staking of the vampires though. Did they sneak on them during the day as they slept? Was there a battle? It would require more space... but we could sacrifice that list of characters at the end, something most should know already unless they jumped straight into the series in this arc. I'm assuming that shape that escaped is the elder sister we met in Little Sisters of Eluria, and the other nuns are more revenants she created later. There's another tale in there somewhere, particularly where Jenna is concerned.

In short, good continuation of main story, 1 good extra story, 1 filler. Oh and the sketches which I think are great and worthwhile.

Man you are a picky and demanding bitch aren't you? I want more information on this and that...blah blah blah...can't you learn to just be happy you're getting more Dark Tower? I agree with your assumption about the shape. I'm betting it's the Mother Superior of the Little Sisters of Eluria.

Brainslinger
11-19-2008, 07:32 AM
Man you are a picky and demanding bitch aren't you? I want more information on this and that...blah blah blah...can't you learn to just be happy you're getting more Dark Tower? I agree with your assumption about the shape. I'm betting it's the Mother Superior of the Little Sisters of Eluria.

Oh I am! (Happy to get more Dark Tower I mean. Not the bitch bit. I'm all dawg thankya- Woof, woof!)

I enjoyed it overall. Writing about stuff I would have preferred is all part of the fun. (Besides I like to discuss these things, rather than "that's good, end of.....wait for next issue". Repeat cycle. It's meant to be a review, that means covering both sides, likes and dislikes.)

And my review only looks a bit negative* because it's easier to write more about things I disliked or I think could have been improved. (That might not be a good thing.) Of course these extras are just icing on the cake, and the main story in this issue is really starting to fly.

*EDIT- actually looking at my post it was only the small paragraph about the extras that came across a bit negative. As in, Nun story = great, but I'd like more detail. That's a quite positive as critiques go. I stand by my statement the list of characters at the end were superfluous though. The rest was just me speculating how the story will go.

Wuducynn
11-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Oh I am! (Happy to get more Dark Tower I mean. Not the bitch bit. I'm all dawg thankya- Woof, woof!)

I enjoyed it overall. Writing about stuff I would have preferred is all part of the fun. (Besides I like to discuss these things, rather than "that's good, end of.....wait for next issue". Repeat cycle. It's meant to be a review, that means covering both sides, likes and dislikes.)

And my review only looks a bit negative* because it's easier to write more about things I disliked or I think could have been improved. (That might not be a good thing.) Of course these extras are just icing on the cake, and the main story in this issue is really starting to fly.

*EDIT- actually looking at my post it was only the small paragraph about the extras that came across a bit negative. As in, Nun story = great, but I'd like more detail. That's a quite positive as critiques go. I stand by my statement the list of characters at the end were superfluous though. The rest was just me speculating how the story will go.

Oh I know all this, I was just giving you some shit. Take it like a man. I always enjoy your reviews and opinions.

Wuducynn
11-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Except when your opinion is wrong of course. Which does not happen often.

Tatts4Life
11-19-2008, 09:58 AM
I really need to find out if the comic store near me can hold comics for me. I try and get in there every month but sometimes it's hard. There are some times when I don't make it there for 2 to 3 months and when I finally get there they some times only have a hand full of other comics i like to get.

Brainslinger
11-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Except when your opinion is wrong of course. Which does not happen often.

Heh, heh. Nice comeback I like that.

Ruthful
11-23-2008, 01:53 PM
Don't sass me, young lady!?

When did Cort turn into Jed Clampet?

:rolleyes:

On a more positive note, I thought the ending was great.

wiccangdess13
11-23-2008, 03:59 PM
I love them but they are really making Cuthbert transgress from the man he became in Wizard and Glass.

Ruthful
11-23-2008, 04:13 PM
I still can't get over the fact that Cuthbert looks like an androgynous goth-emo kid.

Do you think that's how Jae Lee actually envisions the character?

Wuducynn
11-24-2008, 07:01 AM
I like how he looks, he just doesn't have enough eye-liner.

ManOfWesternesse
11-24-2008, 07:39 AM
I still can't get over the fact that Cuthbert looks like an androgynous goth-emo kid.

Do you think that's how Jae Lee actually envisions the character?

Cuthbert's got it easy!
Poor old Alain looks like a f**king lumpy potato with weird hair growing on it!

Wuducynn
11-24-2008, 08:01 AM
Actually, Alain fits with how I pictured him.

ManOfWesternesse
11-24-2008, 08:11 AM
Oops!:panic: :lol:

Wuducynn
11-24-2008, 08:24 AM

Brainslinger
11-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Actually, Alain fits with how I pictured him.

Me too. More or less.

I wish they'd toned down on the brow shadow though. There are panels this issue where he's apparently lost his eyes. That makes sense in certain shots or moods, but it looks strange here.

Wuducynn
11-24-2008, 02:32 PM
I think the artwork in the whole series fluctuates between alright, to amazing.

Daghain
11-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Don't sass me, young lady!?

When did Cort turn into Jed Clampet?

:rolleyes:

I'll second that! That whole exchange was a bit out of character for Cort, IMHO. That, or he treats girls way different than he does boys. *shrugs*

Anyway, I thought the image of Rhea on a spider was pretty freaking cool. And the storyline is certainly getting interesting. :thumbsup:

Brainslinger
11-27-2008, 07:22 PM
That whole exchange was a bit out of character for Cort, IMHO. That, or he treats girls way different than he does boys. *shrugs*

I didn't really see it as out of character, but I think your right about how he would treat girls. I can't see him clumping her one around the ear if she lost her father's face. (Or Mother's face as she speaks it, li'l activist that she is :) .)

RUBE
12-14-2008, 08:05 PM
WTF. Why is this issue coming out later in the month than the others?

Brainslinger
12-19-2008, 07:44 AM
WTF. Why is this issue coming out later in the month than the others?

I wondered about that too. I think maybe it's due to being the Christmas month.

Silvermoth
12-19-2008, 08:19 PM
Its not uncommon for high profile comics to be a week or so out every now and then. I think it has to do with the publicity and promotions as well as the high quality of Jae Lee's and Isanove's art

pickle
12-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Picked this up today :D

EDIT: What date does the DT series normaly come out?

RUBE
12-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Picked this up today :D

EDIT: What date does the DT series normaly come out?

How did you get it today when it is not suppose to be out until tomorrow? They have been coming out the first or second week of the month.

pickle
12-24-2008, 03:13 AM
I dont know, but both comic store chains in my city (Worlds Apart and Forbidden Planet) had it in.

turtlex
12-24-2008, 03:58 AM
Perhaps they get shipped overseas early to make the release date, and the comic stores put them out when they get them, rather than waiting.

Yet another reason to move to the UK :D

pickle
12-24-2008, 07:44 AM
Come on over Turtlex, i have a spare room lol

Aaron
12-24-2008, 08:07 AM
I'm going to go pick this up on my lunch today. :excited:

Now if my next volume of Fables will just finally get here, my holiday will be complete.

Ruthful
12-24-2008, 07:23 PM
I picked it up this afternoon.

Very pleased.

Brainslinger
12-25-2008, 06:49 PM
I ordered mine from ebay today. One thing I noticed, it pays not to preorder when using ebay. A few more are advertised online after the publication date, and they're discounted quite a bit.

Aaron
12-28-2008, 11:42 AM
I am noticing a trend in this arc of very short issues. It's like they are trying to draw it out too much, and are attempting to distract us with the Robin Furth articles as filler. I mean, this was seriously less than ten minutes to read. I feel a little cheated.

MonteGss
12-28-2008, 09:39 PM
I agree Aaron, I noticed that as well. I am not really interested in what Furth has to say about the series, I just want the story/pictures. Those end stories started out to be really interesting when the TDT comic began, now I just feel cheated out of a longer, better story.

Daghain
12-29-2008, 12:58 AM
I have not seen this issue yet, but I *can* say I am truly tired of Furth. GRRR.

turtlex
12-29-2008, 02:42 AM
Personally, I'd love to see more artwork. Fill the issues with that. Give Jae Lee all the space he wants to interpret the stories. I mean, if Marvel is looking for filler - to me, I'd rather art.

Brainslinger
12-31-2008, 08:22 PM
I read mine yesterday, and I enjoyed it. As for the Robin Furth article, it was only a couple of pages, so I didn't mind, although much of it was stuff we already know. I quite liked the article concerning the Manni too. Again it was largely stuff we know already, but it certainly expanded on stuff (i.e. the use of magnets etc. and the nature of the Tower in different worlds.

Concerning the main story itself, I thought it was a good continuation. I have a small reservation concerning one scene however.

Spoilers for the comic and for the ending of Wizard and Glass:

I have mixed feelings concerning the Grapefruit's attempt to trick Roland into killing his friends. On one hand it's an interesting foreshadowing to the scene that Roland's future ka-tet witness in the Grapefruit.

On the other hand I can't help wondering if it contradicts the way the Grapefruit works. WaG makes it clear that, although the Grapefruit is ultimately evil and will only show you hurtful things, the things it shows are always true. It can misdirect you by keeping your attention somewhere when you should be doing something else (a good example of this would be the vision of the Tower Roland sees which renders him too late to rescue Susan.) but the only way it can actually lie to you is by reflection. By this I'm literally referring to that scene at the end of WaG involving the glass, Rhea's reflection and a certain belt. I.e. the glass still showed the truth, Rhea alive and watching, but resulted in a lie via her image's reflection in the mirror. (If you've read the scene you'll know what I mean.)

However, this scene in the comic (Rhea and Steven and the ka-tet) seemed to be an outright lie. Of course, it might be too early to tell yet. Maybe Rhea will enter the castle for real later and attempt the very thing that Roland sees. In which case, this is example of misdirection once again, something the glass is well capable of. We'll see.

I think the only other thing that was a bit off was Steven's reaction when he took the glass. The book states that he merely took the glass without saying a word and hid it somewhere, then came back as if nothing had happened. The comic showed a bit more drama, but I guess that's understandable considering the more visual medium.

I don't have a problem with more information (after all, that's one of the reason I read these comics!) but I disagree with any contradiction to what has been written already. To be fair this has been pretty minimal in this comics series.

turtlex
01-03-2009, 03:24 AM
I was just checking out the January issue of PREVIEWS and it lists the Treachery Hardcover available for pre-order.

No other info or cover.

The list price indicated is $24.99

jhanic
01-03-2009, 07:35 AM
Here we go again! I wonder if Amazon, Borders and Barnes and Noble will have cover variants also.

John

Daghain
01-03-2009, 10:27 AM
I just checked Amazon and don't see a pre-order available yet.

turtlex
01-03-2009, 02:41 PM
I did the same, Daggers. I couldn't find one there either.

I would not be surprised, John, if they do multiple "exclusive' covers again. Not surprised at all - I mean, they got me 4 times because of it !

Daghain
01-03-2009, 04:16 PM

jhanic
01-03-2009, 04:57 PM
I did the same, Daggers. I couldn't find one there either.

I would not be surprised, John, if they do multiple "exclusive' covers again. Not surprised at all - I mean, they got me 4 times because of it !

Same here, and I get the books for our man in Sweden, super_sam, so I end up getting two copies of each!

John

turtlex
01-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Um, I wish I only had two copies of each.
I am currently putting my King stuff in a new bookcase, and I think I went a tad overboard with the buying of copies !

Patrick
01-03-2009, 05:20 PM
For TLRH hardcover I bought the standard dustjacket edition and one of the bookseller variants (Borders) - leaving two bookseller variant dustjackets missing from my collection. Oh the horror! :lol:

gsvec
01-03-2009, 05:21 PM
:lol: I just ordered the Amazon one today . . .

Patrick
01-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Are they on sale? :unsure:

My problem is that I know the book is the same, it's dustjacket marketing ploy, and I'm having a hard time caring enough when they aren't at all scarce.

gsvec
01-03-2009, 05:33 PM
In fact, they are! $16.49 here :D

Daghain
01-03-2009, 06:24 PM
That link takes me to the one for Long Road Home.

gsvec
01-03-2009, 07:10 PM
It was off topic, Daggers, but that's what we were talking about. :cyclops:

For TLRH hardcover I bought the standard dustjacket edition and one of the bookseller variants (Borders) - leaving two bookseller variant dustjackets missing from my collection. Oh the horror! :lol:

Daghain
01-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Okay, I thought I may have been misinterpreting that. :lol:

Tatts4Life
01-05-2009, 05:54 AM
I went to pick this up on Sunday and the place I go to didn't have it in stock yet. I wonder when I will finally be able to get it here?

turtlex
01-05-2009, 05:55 AM
That's weird.

I went to a small ( and not very good ) comic shop here ( Pennsylvania ) on Saturday and they were in.

Maybe weather related? Bummer.

Tatts4Life
01-05-2009, 06:41 AM
who knows
Normally I go in on the 17th and they have them. But I never got a chance to go during December. The last time I went I started a subscription so that they could save one for me since I don't make it by as much as I would like to and was afraid they wouldn't have any more in stock. Last time I went they only had 1 more Treachery #3 in stock. When i asked the guy there (who was not the normal guy I've dealt with) he said that he remembered reading some place that it was delayed for some reason. But seeing that other people have got theirs who knows what's going on.

Brainslinger
01-05-2009, 08:51 PM
It was definitely delayed. It should be available now though. (Although shops near me tend to show them way after the time. That's one reason I order them online.)

RUBE
01-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Am I the only one annoyed by Marvel pushing back the time of the month that these last few have been released on?

Brainslinger
01-11-2009, 04:00 AM
Some preview.pictures on Lilja's site.

They don't show that much (although the later ones are intriguing) but here they are.

http://www.liljas-library.com/img/other/treachery5_prev1.jpg

http://www.liljas-library.com/img/other/treachery5_prev2.jpg

http://www.liljas-library.com/img/other/treachery5_prev3.jpg

http://www.liljas-library.com/img/other/treachery5_prev4.jpg

http://www.liljas-library.com/img/other/treachery5_prev5.jpg

http://www.liljas-library.com/img/other/treachery5_prev6.jpg

Woozywill
01-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Wait, why is whoever that is wearing Farson's armor? Or is that just, like, standard armor?

The Cosmic Geek
01-13-2009, 07:12 PM
Sounds like I'll be buying a graphic novel soon. :evil:

Wuducynn
01-13-2009, 08:59 PM
Am I the only one annoyed by Marvel pushing back the time of the month that these last few have been released on?

No.

Wuducynn
01-13-2009, 09:00 PM
One of the best covers in the whole series.

Daghain
01-13-2009, 09:09 PM
That cover is fucking disturbing. I love it. :D

Daghain
01-22-2009, 07:20 PM
Just finished this a day or two ago and I have to say two things:

1) I am *really* starting to hate that narrator.

2) I am *really* getting tired of Robin's backstories.

I'd really appreciate more DT content within the actual story, and less info from Robin. I appreciate her efforts, but honestly, I get to the end of the comic and I go, "Oh hell, I have to read this on the off chance it affects a Towerpedia article I wrote".

I don't find it overly educational, useful, or even interesting about 50% of the time. *sigh*

And honestly, who couldn't appreciate more Jae Lee artwork?

Wuducynn
01-22-2009, 07:38 PM
2) I am *really* getting tired of Robin's backstories.

What about them are you getting tired of?

Daghain
01-22-2009, 07:46 PM
Honestly? I think she could shorten them about 75% and still get her point across.

I don't know, maybe it's me, but I just DREAD it when I see a 2-3 page layout with some backstory she's written.

I don't feel the writing in and of itself is bad, but it's just BORING and UNNECESSARY, IMHO.

Maybe I'm a closet King purist. He didn't write it, so I'm annoyed she thinks she knows so much. I'm not really sure.

Wuducynn
01-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Maybe I'm a closet King purist. He didn't write it, so I'm annoyed she thinks she knows so much. I'm not really sure.

Ah ha! We find the core of the issue!

Daghain
01-22-2009, 08:18 PM
Maybe so. Or, I'm jealous. Why can't *I* be the one writing those? *cries* :lol:

Wuducynn
01-22-2009, 08:21 PM
You'd probably be better ;)

Daghain
01-22-2009, 08:23 PM
I totally would. :lol:

Brainslinger
01-23-2009, 07:14 AM
The back-story stuff for me is hit and miss. The 'misses' don't bother me that much, but it tends to be stuff that I know already, either from the novels or other sources. I'm also aware that not all the comic readers would know this information though, so including it is understandable.

The hits, tend to be the new stuff. The history of that world and it's characters previously not covered, etc. Sometimes I'll find myself disagreeing with certain things (a good example would be the shard of Maerlyn's mirror being responsible for Jonas's rebellion.), and I find myself disagreeing with Furth's take, but it's all food for thought.

This issue's articles stuff certainly weren't the best we've had. I quite liked the information concerning the 'nurses' last month (or was it the month before?) though.

Wuducynn
01-23-2009, 08:58 AM
and I find myself disagreeing with Furth's take

Same here, sometimes and sometimes not. A couple of the most recent end-stories have really veered into the "big time disagreement" territory. As in, "How the hell the did King greenlight this??"

CRinVA
01-23-2009, 10:15 AM
I don't know how Jae Lee gets paid but I'd bet that if he provided more art for the issue that the price would have to go up! JMHO of course!