PDA

View Full Version : Treachery Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 [2]

Daghain
01-23-2009, 10:16 AM
I'd have to agree with that. Maybe that's part of why it's starting to annoy me.

Aaron
01-25-2009, 07:37 AM
I don't know how Jae Lee gets paid but I'd bet that if he provided more art for the issue that the price would have to go up! JMHO of course!

That might be true if it went above and beyond the amount of panels that we would see in a normal length issue, but for this arc the issues have had a low panel count, and have added more of the Furth extras in the back of the issue. If they could bulk the story up to the amount of content per issue that we were getting in the previous two arcs then I doubt there would be many complaints. I'm with you, Dags, I'm about annoyed as fuck.

Daghain
01-25-2009, 10:57 AM
:thumbsup:

turtlex
01-25-2009, 01:57 PM
I have to agree with you all.
Having just reviewed about every issue... they just keep getting thinner and thinner...
... though some of the earlier content was just stuff reproduced from the Marvel website (interviews and the transcript from the NY Comic Con ).

ICry4Oy
01-26-2009, 01:18 PM
...but it tends to be stuff that I know already...

That's been my biggest problem with the comics so far :( But I'll keep buying and reading them!:clap:

LostAlivE
01-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Amazon.com says these will be available in April 09.
It says nothing about if they will offer a variant. But that is how they did it the last time too.

turtlex
01-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Yeah, but Amazon didn't even make an announcement of the LRH exclusive. We found the announcements and then had to hunt for them at Amazon.

Amazon is listing Treachery at $16.49 ( retail $24.99 )

ETA : Barnes and Noble has it for pre-order now as well. Around the same price. Again no mention of an exclusive.

Barnes/Noble is showing Jae Lee's cover of Treachery # 2 for the HC cover.

Wuducynn
01-28-2009, 05:04 AM
Anyone read it yet?

Daghain
01-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Nope, but mine is shipping out soon. :D

sarah
01-28-2009, 10:59 AM
I'm going to the comic book store this afternoon to pick up my copies. :D

flaggwalkstheline
01-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Im gonna get the hardcover of treachery, Ive got all the issues of the other 2 series but so far I've only got the first 2 of this one
the trades do have all the cool extras in the back right?

Daghain
01-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Yeah, they don't put the extras in the hardcover editions.

flaggwalkstheline
01-28-2009, 12:20 PM
Yeah, they don't put the extras in the hardcover editions.

Shit! guess I'll have 2 pick up the issues after all, the extras r the best part!:(

Wuducynn
01-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Nope, but mine is shipping out soon. :D

It's good to know in about a month we'll get to read your opinion!

Daghain
01-28-2009, 02:46 PM
LOL!

Aaron
01-29-2009, 02:06 PM
I read this last night and I must say that it restored a bit of my faith in the series. It is the longest and most well done issue of the current arc. I actually liked it a lot. The only thing that came off a bit wrong for me was Roland's trite little speech about how Susan is the only woman he'll ever love and yada yada. It was poor dialogue and it didnt seem to really fit something that Roland would say out loud, even if he was thinking it. Aside from that, though, I thought it was a damn good issue. :thumbsup:

MonteGss
01-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Wow Aaron, that pretty much summed up my thoughts too. Roland would never say all that mushy crap. :lol:

Wuducynn
02-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Great issue. Lots of story content.

Brainslinger
02-04-2009, 09:28 AM
I received my copy today! A good read, although I'm not totally sure Bert and Alain's mucking about is quite in character.

Interesting new 'musician' character. I like how the shadow work coupled with the scars give him a distorted almost monstrous appearance, even though he is far from ugly.

According to Wizard and Glass, Steven gave Roland his guns very soon after his return. The comic suggests he bequeaths his guns after his death. This makes more sense from a practical point of view (if he gives his guns to Roland what would he use? He's still Dinh of Gilead after all.) I suppose it doesn't contradict the book if we interpret it broadly.

Also, considering the second man who appeared with the young lad. That was the Dark man in his Walter form wasn't it? He seems to have more hair this time round but I'm pretty sure it's him.

Darkthoughts
02-05-2009, 12:49 PM
I've just finished the whole series upto this point and I have to say I've loved it so far. I'm really digging the humour in these later issues - the dialogue between Bert and Alain is awesome :D...I'm dreading Jericho Hill all the more now!

I could do without the interviews and stuff at the back...I had also noticed that the Treachery run seemed to have less story and more "extra" stuff. I was a huge fan of the backstories, but as you've all said, it's getting a little repetative of late. I'm hoping that's just because they need to stretch out the juicy stuff, in terms of things we don't know, to last the whole series.

RUBE
02-05-2009, 06:43 PM
I like this arc more than the last one but I have decided that it would have been better if they had combined them into one. They are still just elaborating on the events we learned about in the Wizard and the Glass. I would rather have learned more about the war and other events that lead up to Jericho Hill. Now we only get two arcs for that.

Darkthoughts
02-06-2009, 02:27 AM
I ordered this off ebay last night...*camps out by letterbox*

Darkthoughts
02-10-2009, 03:48 PM
I thought the artwork was a bit different in this issue :unsure:

I LOVE all the Bert and Alain comedy duo stuff :lol: I it find pretty bang on character for two 15 year old lads. Best lines of the entire issue:

Cuthbert: When do I get to plant my mad barley?
Alain: Sow your wild oats?
Cuthbert: Right! That!
:rofl:

Glass
02-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Save your money for something more special. :)

Robin will be signing hardcover copies of Treachery and the previous two hardcover arcs at The Signed Page (http://www.signedpage.com). The ordering period will go up in the next few days and all ordered copies will ship in April or early May after Treachery has been released in its collected form.

Those of you who ordered THE GUNSLINGER BORN series signed by Richard Isanove from me know what to expect. :)

Got questions? Ask. I'm here all week. Tip your waitress!

Shawn

turtlex
02-12-2009, 10:40 PM
Save your money for something more special. :)

Robin will be signing hardcover copies of Treachery and the previous two hardcover arcs at The Signed Page (http://www.signedpage.com). The ordering period will go up in the next few days and all ordered copies will ship in April or early May after Treachery has been released in its collected form.

Those of you who ordered THE GUNSLINGER BORN series signed by Richard Isanove from me know what to expect. :)

Got questions? Ask. I'm here all week. Tip your waitress!

Shawn

Shawn - Welcome to the site.

Do you have some examples of the Isanove signed book that you could post?

Also, the link you indicated is just the opening splash page - I don't see a mention of Treachery there?

Glass
02-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Turtle, the link for Treachery is on the left, included in the link Dark Tower Hardcovers. :)

As for Isanove, sure, I can scan a copy or two of the Isanove signed comic books if you like. No skin off my teeth at all. :) I even have about 10 incomplete sets of The Gunslinger Born I am hoping to fill with Robin Furth signed copies. That'd be good as I want the books to find a home.

Shawn

Glass
02-13-2009, 09:58 PM
Here is a direct link: http://signedpage.com/authors/darktower-hardcovers.html

Glass
02-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Here is a copy of The Gunslinger Born I own:

http://www.signedpage.com/ebay/gunslinger-born1.jpg

As you can see, it is not the S&N edition Dynamic Forces was selling; there is no numbers on the cover. A friend in NY had the book signed by Peter David and Jae Lee at a Midnight signing, and then Richard signed it as part of my online signing.

If you want something else, just ask.

Shawn

Glass
02-13-2009, 10:06 PM
PS: It will be nice to have Robin sign it. Then I'll feel mostly complete! haha

turtlex
02-14-2009, 07:02 AM
Cool, thanks for the link!

Yup, placed my order!

Glass
02-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Robin is really excited about this and I have to admit, I am too. It's always nice getting signed books and not having to spend through the nose to get them for a change!

RUBE
02-18-2009, 06:25 PM
I wish this was out already.

Aaron
02-25-2009, 01:32 PM
I just read this and I am very disappointed. I had my hope renewed after the last issue, but this one fell flat. It is really short, not much happens at all, and once it was done you're left with a feeling of "that's it?" Some of the art was odd, too. There were a number of frames that looked similar to Jae Lee's artwork, but it was off. I am almost wondering if Isanove was allowed to do a few panels in preparation for the next arc. It was just strange. But yeah...really poor ending to a really poor arc. I hope they can get the magic back for The Fall of Gilead. :(

Daghain
02-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Well, that's disappointing.

turtlex
02-25-2009, 03:32 PM
Yeah... way to be a buzz kill, Aaron. :P

:couple: just kidding :couple:

I just got my notification that my issue has been shipped.

Honestly, though, with the exception of the Aileen stuff... ( and that very cool issue 2 cover ) ... this wasn't the best story ever.

... and it's bad enough that we're losing Jae Lee for FoG, they better not have covertly let anyone do panels for this issue!

:sigh:

Matt
02-25-2009, 03:49 PM
It's funny...you know no matter how bad this is, people are going to be buying FoG...how could you not?? :panic:

turtlex
02-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Oh, they had me at Dark Tower.

Brainslinger
02-25-2009, 06:08 PM
So it's available now? I'd better get my order in then.

I actually haven't minded this arc. The back-story stuff wasn't as good in previous arcs but the story itself was ok. It didn't contradict anything from the books like The Long Road home did anyway.

Bit slow going perhaps. And it does feel a bit stretched over the 6 issues. Splash pages are nice to look at but I think they should be more in moderation. (Of course they might not sell as many comics then, but that comes across rather cynical.)

wizardsrainbow
02-26-2009, 10:00 AM
My 2 stores in New York City said they were not shipped the variants with the regular issue. There are no #6 variants for sale on eBay either last I checked. Anybody know about the variants?

Also the new Mid-World Guidebook was supposed to be issued yesterday but was not. Any news here?

Merlin1958
02-26-2009, 10:35 AM
Personally, as a SK collector I think I'm gonna stop with the individual issues and Arc's and just get the HC versions. Not only is it getting expensive (2 issues ea.+slipcases+variants etc) but quite honestly I've been through 3 or 4 comic dealers and they are just kind of a pain in the neck. Seems nobody can maintain decent records of payment/shipment in this business. Of course it could also be just my luck (usually bad) but, I've dealt with Atomic Comics, Samamurai, Dynamic, Tales of Wonder and they all seem to hiccup at one point or another.

Then you got all the other titles, The Stand, now Talisman. It just gets exhausting!!! lol lol lol (and expensive) especially when you are still working on your "real' collection (no offense to anyone)

Guess I'll just stick to the "Books" from hereon. Just my three beans on the subject.

:yawn::yawn::yawn:

turtlex
02-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Merlin - I get most of my individual issues via www.mycomicshop.com and I've never had a problem. I've also dealth with X-World Comics without issues. I also know a couple of people get theirs via www.g-mart.com and like that service as well.

( unfortunately, I don't have a good local comic shop )

turtlex
02-26-2009, 03:20 PM
My 2 stores in New York City said they were not shipped the variants with the regular issue. There are no #6 variants for sale on eBay either last I checked. Anybody know about the variants?

Also the new Mid-World Guidebook was supposed to be issued yesterday but was not. Any news here?

wiz - Just heard from my cgc comic guy ( he's in Minnesota ) and he didn't get the variant, sketch or Guide either. He has no idea why the hold up... he works very closely with a couple of comic shops up there, and they had no info either.

.... well, at least we know it's not just NYC not getting the special issues.

RUBE
02-26-2009, 09:54 PM
So it's available now? I'd better get my order in then.

I actually haven't minded this arc. The back-story stuff wasn't as good in previous arcs but the story itself was ok. It didn't contradict anything from the books like The Long Road home did anyway.

Bit slow going perhaps. And it does feel a bit stretched over the 6 issues. Splash pages are nice to look at but I think they should be more in moderation. (Of course they might not sell as many comics then, but that comes across rather cynical.)

I also think this was stretched out too much. I will say again that I think they should have combined the events from The Long Road Home and Treachery into one arc so that we would have got more material on the war with Farson

wizardsrainbow
02-27-2009, 05:05 AM

wiz - Just heard from my cgc comic guy ( he's in Minnesota ) and he didn't get the variant, sketch or Guide either. He has no idea why the hold up... he works very closely with a couple of comic shops up there, and they had no info either.

.... well, at least we know it's not just NYC not getting the special issues.

turtlex-

many thanks for the research! Makes me feel a little better. Once I finish work in NYC (3 weeks) my comic store options in southern CT are very poor, so I'm bummed. I don't relish the idea of buying the variants off eBay. Maybe I'll try to make a relationship with one of the names you posted above.

Merlin1958
02-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Merlin - I get most of my individual issues via www.mycomicshop.com and I've never had a problem. I've also dealth with X-World Comics without issues. I also know a couple of people get theirs via www.g-mart.com and like that service as well.

( unfortunately, I don't have a good local comic shop )

I'll give them a look. Thanks!!

turtlex
02-27-2009, 08:53 AM
wiz and merlin - Good luck, guys!

wiz - just another FYI, my cgc guy is headed to the MegaCon this weekend in Florida, and he plans on checking with the Marvel booth there, to see if they have any info. I'll let you know what he tells me.

Let me know if I can help at all.

Merlin1958
02-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Anyone have info on the next Arc yet?

Name and date of release?

turtlex
02-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Merlin - The name of the new arc is The Fall of Gilead. No exact date yet.

Hold on a sec and I'll find the Comic Tower link for the topic.

Here you go : http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=7369

Merlin1958
02-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Thank you M'am!!!!

You're the BEST!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

wizardsrainbow
02-27-2009, 01:22 PM
wiz and merlin - Good luck, guys!

wiz - just another FYI, my cgc guy is headed to the MegaCon this weekend in Florida, and he plans on checking with the Marvel booth there, to see if they have any info. I'll let you know what he tells me.

Let me know if I can help at all.

I heard from a seller today that the variants will be delivered next Wednesday. That's the first time in the whole series that the variants were not released with the regular issue.

turtlex
02-27-2009, 02:01 PM
Gosh, that's very odd, indeed.

I hope we can find out what happened with the variants.

Ruthful
02-27-2009, 03:18 PM
They're making a comic of The Talisman now?

When did that happen?

turtlex
02-27-2009, 03:21 PM
They're making a comic of The Talisman now?

When did that happen?

Ruthful - Yuppers, for sure.

Here's the link to our thread here at the Comic Tower : http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=5362

Ruthful
02-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Alright, now things have gotten out of hand.

Stop taking my money, Marvel!
:pullhair::panic:

jhanic
02-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Alright, now things have gotten out of hand.

Stop taking my money, Marvel!
:pullhair::panic:

Ruthful, Marvel isn't doing The Talisman. It's being produced by Del Rey/Ballantine.

John

Ruthful
02-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Okay, I just opened the link and realized it wasn't Marvel.

So is this going to be of a book-length project?

Brainslinger
02-28-2009, 09:22 AM
I ordered Treachery 6 in the evening a couple of days ago, and it arrived this morning! No reason it shouldn't being first class and all, but compared to the other issues, that's pretty snappy.

I've read it already (I tend to gobble these things up shortly after they arrive... although I've often thought I should be more disciplined.) and overall I liked it.

The captions didn't seem to match the panels at the start though. The captions describe them as being in the main hall, and the panels show them amongst pillars under a starry sky. Maybe it's meant to be a metaphorical thing, i.e. the pillars being ruins, a forecast of what is to come etc... but I can't help wishing the pictures would just tell the story as it is. I've noticed with a lot of indoors shots Jae Lee seems to go for a slightly surreal look rather than, well, painting whats actually there. I'm not saying that's a bad thing necessarily. Surreality, a kind of dream-state is certainly part and parcel of that world. There is grime and grit there too though.

Also, they needn't even use so many captions if the panels do the talking...

The cheating kid though.. you'd have thought he would come up with something a bit more subtle than that, eh? Never mind. It was an interesting combination of two incidents mentioned in the books, (the spy with the poison knife, and the man who died at Cort's blade.)

Small gripes really. On a plus note I think it wrapped up this section of the story fairly well, creating a decent bridge between the feast day celebration and the grapefruit ending. I wish they had portrayed the latter as it was described in the book though (sans the other 'viewers' of course.) I.e. the grapefruit casting Rhea's image onto the mirror. I guess they wanted to bring home the fact that the glass was responsible though. Some things are easy to describe, less easy to show in a graphical way.

Oh, and shouldn't the fool on the tarot card have had a monkey on his back? I guess in this case they're making the fool Roland though.

Overall a decent ending I thought. Oh, and I guessed some of the riddles right too (although I think I remember some from the books.)

I'm looking forward to The Sorcerer!

Aaron
03-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Eddie wasnt the Fool; he was the Prisoner.

Brainslinger
03-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Ah right.

I associate him as the fool I guess because of the way he (and Cuthbert) tend to act. (Albeit it's only one side to them, they're still very much gunslingers. Or at least Eddie ended up one.

Aaron
03-03-2009, 08:18 AM
Cuthbert got his guns after returning from Mejis, along with Alain

turtlex
03-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Anyone else besides me not really thrilled with the looks of the Tarot cards in general?

jhanic
03-03-2009, 11:27 AM
Has anyone seen any of the variants for Treachery #6 yet? I'm still looking.

John

turtlex
03-03-2009, 01:29 PM
John - Wiz said that they wouldn't be released until tomorrow ( though I'm still not sure why the delay )....

wizardsrainbow
03-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Oh Yay! I just bought both variants to Treachery #6 here in NYC. No word as to why they were delayed though. Still, I'm thrilled to have found them both in the same place. I usually have to hunt a bit harder to get the Jae Lee variant.

turtlex
03-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Wiz - The report I got was.... "delay from the printers".... which I interpret as "the guys in the Marvel booth at MegaCon didn't know why".

jhanic
03-04-2009, 11:10 AM
There are a couple of the color variants for Treachery #6 on eBay right now. Congratulations on getting both, wiz!

John

turtlex
03-04-2009, 11:11 AM
I hope my CGC guy got my copies... waiting on his email confirmation now.

Daghain
03-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Anyone else besides me not really thrilled with the looks of the Tarot cards in general?

Seconded. And I really hope the next arc is better. This last issue was kind of disappointing.

Oy Boy
03-05-2009, 09:09 PM
I really enjoyed this issue, enjoyed the extra time Cort got in the lime light.

turtlex
03-06-2009, 02:49 AM
Welcome to the site Oy Boy!

I heard from my CGC guy and he got me my variant and sketch cover!!! :rock: He sent them in for grading yesterday!

The King of Kings
03-21-2009, 10:14 AM
Just finished reading the Treachery arc. Very hit or miss. About half of the issues had me saying "That's it?" while the other half had me sitting on the edge of my seat.

Overall though I thought Treachery had the best dialogues of the 3 story-arc's so far. Lots of quotable stuff!

CyberGhostface
03-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Well...that was underwhelming. And boy, did they really drop the ball on the Marten/Gabrielle relationship--although I'm hoping the Sorcerer oneshot will develop it more (hopefully it's going to be good since it's not written by Peter "the left nut of Satan" David) and maybe the next arc will focus more on the impact of her death on Walter.

And didn't Rhea have a snake and not the garrote? I guess that's what happens when you go over important details in the previous arc...

Brainslinger
03-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Well...that was underwhelming. And boy, did they really drop the ball on the Marten/Gabrielle relationship--

To be fair, the main affair was before these events. And since we've mainly been following Roland and co, we wouldn't see much more on the relationship than in the books. Treachery might cover more though, it's true.

And didn't Rhea have a snake and not the garrote? I guess that's what happens when you go over important details in the previous arc...

I forgot that, you've got a good point.

Roland saw Rhea sneaking up behind him with the snake. (A reflection he should see in the bedroom mirror not the grapefruit itself. The grapefruit generated the image which was reflected in the mirror, hence Roland's confusion. ) And instead of Rhea and the snake it was actually his mother and the belt. (Actually I can't remember if he actually saw the snake in the mirror but he obvious confused the belt with it.)

I wonder why they changed that? There really was no need. The snake would have worked out just as well... albeit it was dead at that point.

CyberGhostface
03-30-2009, 08:12 AM
In Wizard and Glass, Roland had killed Rhea's pet snake, which was one of the main reasons why Rhea hated him so much. Since the comics removed that part, they probably realized the whole "Do ye repent for killing Ermot?" bit would be out of place.

As for the affair, what I wanted to see was more of what Walter meant when he talked about Roland's involvement in the death of "the woman [he] loved". I guess since the comic ended *right* at her death, we wouldn't see it here, but I'm doubtful that it'll ever appear.

Wuducynn
04-06-2009, 07:09 PM
By Neil Kleid

With the final issue of DARK TOWER: TREACHERY now concluded and the DARK TOWER: SORCERER one-shot set to make its way into stores on April 8, we look to series co-writer Robin Furth once more for safety in answers.

Robin, co-architect of the Dark Tower comic books, kindly took time from plotting the downfall of Roland Deschain's family to give us a glimpse at the future of the Dark Tower comics, what to expect after treachery has struck and some insight into the mind of Stephen King's arch-villain, Marten Broadcloak.
Marvel.com: Roland's love died in Mejis, the Grapefruit took its toll on the road home and as betrayals come to light, his state of mind can't be healthy. How, if at all, will Roland go on?

Robin Furth: Roland is a survivor and at heart he's a stoic. As readers of the original novels know, Roland always survives, though I'm sure that sometimes he wishes he wouldn't!

http://www.marvel.com/i/content/st/7163new_storyimage6623443_thumb.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:MM_openBrWindow%28%27http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/7163new_storyimage6623443_full.jpg%27,%27_blank%27 ,%27scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes%27%29)
DARK TOWER:
SORCERER #1
prview art by
Richard Isanove (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:MM_openBrWindow%28%27http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/7163new_storyimage6623443_full.jpg%27,%27_blank%27 ,%27scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes%27%29)
In the next story arc, Roland will really have to draw on his inner reserves. His whole world is about to collapse, but he must go on if he is to revenge his loved ones, and if he is to reach the Dark Tower.

Marvel.com: Readers have caught glimpses of the mysterious John Farson and the forces he controls. What can we expect from the Affiliation's enemy in the pages to come?

Robin Furth: More treachery! I don't want to let any cats out of bags, but as I was writing the plot for the next story arc, I spent a lot of time in tears So many of the characters I have grown to love were being picked off, one by one. Often in really gruesome ways.

Marvel.com: How much input did Stephen King have in this latest installment of the Dark Tower?

Robin Furth: As you know, Steve goes over all of our stories to give them the thumbs up or thumbs down. Luckily he has liked what we've done so far!

The events of TREACHERY are really rooted in the novels. Gabrielle's time in Debaria, her decision to try to kill her husband in order to please her lover Marten Broadcloak, all of this is either in the books or implied in them. As for the jealousy that Cuthbert, Alain, and Roland face when they return to Gilead, so much of that comes from my memory of being about 14 years old. We all remember what those years were like—not easy! Boys like Cuthbert and Alain, who seemed to have been singled out for special praise, would have been the http://www.marvel.com/i/content/st/7163new_storyimage6623680_thumb.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:MM_openBrWindow%28%27http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/7163new_storyimage6623680_full.jpg%27,%27_blank%27 ,%27scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes%27%29)
The Fool (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:MM_openBrWindow%28%27http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/7163new_storyimage6623680_full.jpg%27,%27_blank%27 ,%27scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes%27%29)
target for a lot of jealousy, and that's what I wrote about in the comics. Luckily, Steve King agreed with my idea!

One of my favorite characters in this story arc is Aileen. In many ways, Aileen reflects my own experience of growing up a girl in the 1970's, in a world that was quite different than it is today. When I was a girl, nobody thought that a woman could be president. I remember overhearing somebody say, "but if she had to go to war, she'd cry!" Women were either "Miss" or "Mrs." To use "Ms." was still a bit of a joke. I remember playing sci-fi games with my friends. You know, you are exploring an alien planet and monsters attack. Well, in those games I always thought I had to be a boy. I didn't want to be stuck in the kitchen, so I took on a boy's name and a boy's persona and went forth to explore! So, as you can guess, Aileen's frustration is a frustration I remember. She wants to be a champion, but her society says no, she can't .

Marvel.com: You're following TREACHERY with DARK TOWER: SORCERER, a one-shot that explores the motives of Marten Broadcloak—aka Walter o'Dim, Roland's archenemy. Can you tell us what to expect?

Robin Furth: Hopefully, a pretty creepy experience! In my opinion, Marten Broadcloak—who is also known as Walter, the man in black, and Randall Flagg—is one of the scariest characters that Stephen King has ever created. He moves from book to book, bringing chaos and anarchy with him. He can be found in [the] Dark Tower [series] of course, but he is also the evil force found in "The Stand" and in "Eyes http://www.marvel.com/i/content/st/7163new_storyimage6623733_thumb.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:MM_openBrWindow%28%27http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/7163new_storyimage6623733_full.jpg%27,%27_blank%27 ,%27scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes%27%29)
The Magician (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:MM_openBrWindow%28%27http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/7163new_storyimage6623733_full.jpg%27,%27_blank%27 ,%27scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes%27%29)
of the Dragon." He is quite a demonic figure, and as such he is one of the great anti-heroes of contemporary popular fiction.

I've always been fascinated by anti-heroes. How do they see the world and what are their motivations? Journeying into Walter's mind is a pretty wild experience and at times a little frightening. You have to travel to very dark places. For a long time now I've had email exchanges with Steve King about Walter/Marten/Randall Flagg, and so SORCERER will contain some never-before-seen information about Walter's origins, all of it straight from the King himself! I think that this new information—I won't tell you what it is yet—really tells us more about Walter's deeper self; who he is and why he does what he does. And it also addresses is actually [I]human.

Not only does SORCERER look at the Dark Tower mythos from Walter's perspective, but it also explores the origin, and the nature, of Maerlyn's Grapefruit. In the original novel Steve King talks about the Grapefruit as being alive and almost seductive. In fact, he says it is labial pink, giving it a particularly sexual aura. This becomes a very important part of Walter's story—and indirectly but importantly part of Roland's. I don't dare say any more, since I want to keep some surprises, but I will add that if you read this tale you will encounter some pretty strange demons. Richard has done a [I]fantastic job with the art. It is truly inspired.

Oh yes, for you longtime fans of "The Gunslinger," you'll actually get to see more of Walter's Tarot Cards—the deck he uses to tell Roland's future at the end of that http://www.marvel.com/i/content/st/7163new_storyimage6623785_thumb.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:MM_openBrWindow%28%27http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/7163new_storyimage6623785_full.jpg%27,%27_blank%27 ,%27scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes%27%29)
The Tower (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:MM_openBrWindow%28%27http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/lib/view2.htm?filename=/i/content/st/7163new_storyimage6623785_full.jpg%27,%27_blank%27 ,%27scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes%27%29)
first novel of the series. In SORCERER, he uses his cards to tell the future of the House of Deschain—somehow I doubt they'd be pleased with what he sees!

I must say, I've had the time of my life writing SORCERER and collaborating with Richard to bring the tale to life, so I really hope that comes across in the story! As a lot of my fellow Dark Tower junkies have pointed out to me, Walter tends to like pseudonyms with the initials "R.F."—in other words, pseudonyms with my initials! Sometimes I wonder if my initials were part of the reason Steve was intrigued enough to hire me as a research assistant. If so, I owe Walter a debt. Maybe giving him voice is my way of paying that debt!

Marvel.com: Are further stand-alone stories planned for the other denizens of In-World?

Robin Furth: I certainly hope so. There are so many characters that deserve to have their stories told, or perhaps to tell their own stories. I think it would be really great to be able to tell Steven Deschain's story, and about his life with Gabrielle. What went wrong there? We're given lots of hints in the books, but it would be an amazing subject to explore. I'd also like to explore Sheemie's tale, and Cort's story. And to tell the truth, I wouldn't mind spending some more time in End-World with the Crimson King, since he scares me silly. Luckily, in the final story arcs we'll get to spend more time with Cuthbert, Alain—all longtime favorites of mine. And then there is Aileen…

As you can tell, the possibilities are endless!

http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.7163.Dark_Tower~colon~_Last_Days_of_T reachery

turtlex
04-21-2009, 03:57 AM
I got a notice from Amazon that my copy of the Treachery HC has shipped.

Daghain
04-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Me too! :D

turtlex
04-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Now... I just hope there is only ONE cover for this....
.... with the million I had to wrangle up for LRH, I'd prefer not to repeat that fun.

turtlex
05-09-2009, 01:59 PM
This thread will be used as a catch-all for Treachery comics/hardcover.

pixiedark76
05-22-2009, 09:51 PM
I was wondering if anybody ordered a signed copy of Treachery from Robin Furth on the signed page? Did anybody get their copy? It has been almost a whole month since the release of Treachery and I was wondering when my copy would be coming?

Daghain
06-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Just got the slipcover for Treachery today:

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc75/DaghainDT/10821716.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc75/DaghainDT/10821814.jpg

The pictures are kind of light, but the slipcase is actually black.

jhanic
06-02-2009, 03:32 AM
I can't see the pictures.

John

turtlex
06-02-2009, 03:42 AM
Me, neither, John.

Daggers, I just see broken links. :(

Daghain
06-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Should be fixed now. :D

turtlex
06-02-2009, 09:28 AM
Dags - Those are cool. Is that for the GN or for the comic issues?

jhanic
06-02-2009, 09:56 AM
I like them!

John

Daghain
06-02-2009, 12:52 PM
It's for the comic issues.

turtlex
06-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Got my slipcase for the GN today. Looks exactly the same !!

Lily-sai
06-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Daggers, that's a freaking cool slipcase!
Can't wait for my Treachery HC to arrive, should come to me this week. :wub:

turtlex
06-04-2009, 12:53 AM
Liisa - Overlook might still have some....

Lily-sai
06-04-2009, 01:02 AM
Overlook, what, where? :unsure:

(I'm vividly reminded of that scary-ass hotel..)

turtlex
06-04-2009, 02:38 AM
:couple: The Overlook Connection... it's where we got the slipcases from, my friend.

Linkage : http://overlookconnection.com/product_info.php?products_id=9055

Lily-sai
06-04-2009, 02:39 AM
Ooohhh! I say thankya big-big!! :wub:

turtlex
06-04-2009, 02:47 AM
Liisa - Sign up for their newsletter, sometimes you get discount offers.

Daghain
06-04-2009, 08:10 AM
I'm waiting on the one for The Stand now as well. That set looks like it is going to be really cool. :thumbsup:

turtlex
06-04-2009, 09:20 AM
I've gotten each slipcase for the DT hardcover books, and they look spiffy on the shelf.

Daghain
06-04-2009, 10:06 AM
I like the slipcases to keep the individual issues in for the same reason. :D

CyberGhostface
09-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Sorry to bring up such an old topic, but I wasn't sure if it warranted a seperate one.

I looked at all the covers for Treachery recently, and I think they picked the worst possible choice for to be the hardcover. Except for maybe #4 with Rhea (which is a bit plot-specific to be taken out of context), I think the rest of the covers would have done a much better job displaying the story. Even the cover for #5, while having nothing to do with the story (Roland wearing Farson's armor and holding up the mask), is still a visually striking image.

But I guess they thought Furth's pet character was a better pick to sell copies.

turtlex
09-11-2009, 01:47 AM
CG, this is a perfect place for your comment. No worries.

However --- Now I have to disagree with you. :D

The cover used for the Treachery HC is my all time favorite Jae Lee cover. Here it is for those who can't recall :

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/612/TreacheryHardcover.jpg

Honestly, I don't think Robin Furth has any input, at all, on which image Marvel picks for it's covers.

I think they picked it because it's such a striking image.

I wonder which exact cover you'd have picked, CG? Do you have a preference?

My second choice would have been the Ferry Variant...

CyberGhostface
09-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Hmm...either this one

http://0utsidetheframe.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/treachery3.jpg

or this one

http://thequarterbin.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/download1.jpg

On a related note, I just found this unused cover for #1.

http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/object/142/14273108/dark-tower-treachery-1_cover-artboxart_160w.jpg

Personally, I think I like this one better than the one they ultimately chose. (The difference, of course, is the eyes)

turtlex
09-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Really? I just think the Aileen cover, with the striking pink, and the fact that she's a woman on the cover, I just find that image much more eye-popping than those others.

I believe the last image you shown is the cover from Treachery # 1 - it was used.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/612/Treachery1Regular.jpg

That being said - I would have LOVED to see a brand new image - created solely for the hardcover.

CyberGhostface
09-12-2009, 06:15 PM
I know that it's generally the same cover for Treachery #1--what I was referring to was that in the unused cover, Roland has glowing red eyes. For some reason, they removed that in the finished design.

turtlex
09-12-2009, 06:19 PM
Oh, duh. Sorry. I misunderstood. I honestly don't like either of those.

RolandLover
07-31-2011, 09:54 AM
I read this last night and I must say that it restored a bit of my faith in the series. It is the longest and most well done issue of the current arc. I actually liked it a lot. The only thing that came off a bit wrong for me was Roland's trite little speech about how Susan is the only woman he'll ever love and yada yada. It was poor dialogue and it didnt seem to really fit something that Roland would say out loud, even if he was thinking it. Aside from that, though, I thought it was a damn good issue. :thumbsup:

Agreed! In DOTT3 when Roland was watching Eddie/Susannah he thought to himself that he wants to love again. He didn't say it out loud. So what RF had Roland say that about Susan, to me she was being a fangurl of Susan since she said in her interviews Susan is one of her favs.

RolandLover
08-06-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm so happy that I received the HC of Treachery today along with the HC of The Fall of Gilead!! Love it!!

RolandLover
08-07-2011, 03:48 PM
After reading the Treachery,

I do not feel sorry that Gabrielle is dead. Her betrayl made her a horrible wife and mother. No on wonder Roland had so much hate for her. I only feel bad for Roland because he shot her. I don't know if she would have killed Steven but I'm leading towards she would have. I don't know why Steven wanted her even after she came back from the nunnery. Martin Broadcloak is a nasty wizard who had sexual relations with her. Why did he want to touch her again after him?!

Brainslinger
08-08-2011, 09:42 AM
He loves her. She wasn't always like that, and even now she isn't all like that. They have a history together, and he probably hoped she had changed and that they could salvage something. I actually think she hoped that for a while too, but she isn't very strong and Marten is wiley. And personally, I'm not entirely sure she would have gone through with it.

Also Steven isn't completely void of blame. I get the impression he has somewhat neglected her over the years. No doubt this is largely due to his Gunslinger duties and being the Dinh of Gilead, but it's there. That doesn't justify her actions, but lonely forsaken people can find themselves in a dark boring place. Then along comes an enigmatic wizard and theres suddenly passion and excitement back in her life.

RolandLover
08-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Yes he loves her and Gabrielle knows that but it seems her love for him didn't match her love for Martin. Her love for him mattered more to her than for Steven and Roland. She knew how Roland felt about her when he left to go to Hambry. How could she go along with Martin's plan to kill his father? Did she think Roland would love her for that? No, he would have hated her even more. I just wished she would've put Roland first in this some how but it was all about what she can do for the wizard Martin.

Brainslinger
08-08-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm not so sure she would have gone through with it but I don't entirely disagree with you.

I was mainly attempting to answer your question as to why, I think, Steven was willing to take her back.

RolandLover
08-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Thanks for answering and nice discussion on this. I'm not convinced 100% that Gabrielle would have went through killing Steven.

Randall Flagg
08-09-2011, 09:11 AM
I put a "Spoiler" icon on the thread itself, so going forth there is no need for posts to have spoiler tags in them.
Thanks.

Ari_Racing
08-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Good point. :)
THanks J!

Ari_Racing
08-09-2011, 02:43 PM
Good point. :)
THanks J!

Spesshart
06-27-2013, 01:13 PM
A little detail I found by reading Treachery is that they seem to have used the north western part of Middle-Earth for one map which is shown in the 3rd issue. I cut out the image and flipped it to show what i mean.
See...
http://abload.de/img/darktower-024mcswl.jpg
And now the Eriador region of Middle-Earth:

http://ardapedia.herr-der-ringe-film.de/images/thumb/7/72/Eriador_Karte_Toponyme.jpg/500px-Eriador_Karte_Toponyme.jpg

Lazy... lazy... :wink: