PDA

View Full Version : Riding the Bullet - Lonely Roads Limited

jhanic
05-09-2009, 01:19 PM
I guess it's time for this one to have its own thread.

Here's a copy of the email I got yesterday morning:

Hi there!

We have IMPORTANT STEPHEN KING NEWS to share, so read this private email carefully! The signed editions will NOT last long!

You're receiving this email because you purchased a collectible book from Lonely Road Books in the past. Per Lonely Road's tradition, you are being offered first shot at their next book, which we expect to sellout VERY quickly. PLEASE DO NOT SHARE THIS EMAIL WITH ANYONE. You're part of a select group of customers who are now the only people outside this office and the authors who know of this special edition!

The next Lonely Road Books project is a deluxe special edition of RIDING THE BULLET by Stephen King and Mick Garris. This oversized collectible hardcover will feature the complete text of King's original novella and Garris's screenplay, PLUS exclusive artwork by Bernie Wrightson, storyboards, photos from the set, production notes, hand-corrected script pages, and more from the "Director's Notebook" keep during the production.

This will be Stephen King's FIRST EVER "DOUBLE" style Limited Edition! Imagine the special edition of DARK FORCES, then cross it with the special edition of THE ARTHUR DARKNELL DOUBLE, and you'll get some idea of what Lonely Road is going to do here!

There will be three different states of this oversized collectible hardcover:

* Slipcased Gift Edition for $75
* traycased Limited Edition signed by Garris and Wrightson for $250
* traycased Lettered Edition signed by Garris, Wrightson, and STEPHEN KING for $750

Since you purchased a title from Lonely Road Books previously, you now have 24 hours to decide if you wish to purchase this one, too. After that, these copies will be sold to other collectors on a first come, first served basis and we do not expect the signed editions to last very long at all for the obvious reasons!

(PLEASE NOTE: Right now we are offering the Limited Edition for just $200 instead of the retail price of $250, but there is a strict limit of 2 copies per person! There is also a limit of ONE Lettered Edition per customer.)

**** Because this book has not been announced to the general public, here is the secret link to place your order for any of the three states while supplies last:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/_MINDY0509

There will be no text on that page, but you can just add the editions you want to your cart and then checkout like normal. Our office will do the rest!

(Please do not share this link with anyone else. Any orders from customers we have no personally contacted will be cancelled.)

Thanks, as always, for your continuing support!

~ Mindy

Cemetery Dance Publications
132-B Industry Lane
Unit #7
Forest Hill, MD 21050

410-588-5901 [phone]
410-588-5904 [fax]

http://www.cemeterydance.com

I may regret it, but I ordered one of each edition.

John

Room 217 Caretaker
05-09-2009, 04:34 PM
I guess it's time for this one to have its own thread.

Here's a copy of the email I got yesterday morning:

Hi there!

We have IMPORTANT STEPHEN KING NEWS to share, so read this private email carefully! The signed editions will NOT last long!

You're receiving this email because you purchased a collectible book from Lonely Road Books in the past. Per Lonely Road's tradition, you are being offered first shot at their next book, which we expect to sellout VERY quickly. PLEASE DO NOT SHARE THIS EMAIL WITH ANYONE. You're part of a select group of customers who are now the only people outside this office and the authors who know of this special edition!

The next Lonely Road Books project is a deluxe special edition of RIDING THE BULLET by Stephen King and Mick Garris. This oversized collectible hardcover will feature the complete text of King's original novella and Garris's screenplay, PLUS exclusive artwork by Bernie Wrightson, storyboards, photos from the set, production notes, hand-corrected script pages, and more from the "Director's Notebook" keep during the production.

This will be Stephen King's FIRST EVER "DOUBLE" style Limited Edition! Imagine the special edition of DARK FORCES, then cross it with the special edition of THE ARTHUR DARKNELL DOUBLE, and you'll get some idea of what Lonely Road is going to do here!

There will be three different states of this oversized collectible hardcover:

* Slipcased Gift Edition for $75
* traycased Limited Edition signed by Garris and Wrightson for $250
* traycased Lettered Edition signed by Garris, Wrightson, and STEPHEN KING for $750

Since you purchased a title from Lonely Road Books previously, you now have 24 hours to decide if you wish to purchase this one, too. After that, these copies will be sold to other collectors on a first come, first served basis and we do not expect the signed editions to last very long at all for the obvious reasons!

(PLEASE NOTE: Right now we are offering the Limited Edition for just $200 instead of the retail price of $250, but there is a strict limit of 2 copies per person! There is also a limit of ONE Lettered Edition per customer.)

**** Because this book has not been announced to the general public, here is the secret link to place your order for any of the three states while supplies last:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/_MINDY0509

There will be no text on that page, but you can just add the editions you want to your cart and then checkout like normal. Our office will do the rest!

(Please do not share this link with anyone else. Any orders from customers we have no personally contacted will be cancelled.)

~ Mindy

132-B Industry Lane
Unit #7
Forest Hill, MD 21050

410-588-5901 [phone]
410-588-5904 [fax]

I may regret it, but I ordered one of each edition.

John

I secured one of the Lettered. I'm excited about it :rock:

I'll wait on the Gift or S/L when it comes out.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

gsvec
05-09-2009, 05:50 PM
I ordered a gift only. Thought about the limited, but didn't even consider the lettered - an additonal $500 just for SK's sig seemed a little steep.

Fsmdr
05-09-2009, 09:12 PM
It does not say what the print run of the limited and the gift edition?. Does anyone know?.

Dolan
05-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks for this J - I managed to get the signed edition. Lettered is a bit steep for a story I didnt even love... but you know us collectors!

HA!

Room 217 Caretaker
05-10-2009, 04:29 AM
It does not say what the print run of the limited and the gift edition?. Does anyone know?.

Not sure just yet. Everything in the past from Lonely Roads has been 300 or less on Limited and 26 on Lettered. At first I posted the lettered was a 52 print edition but after going through my notes, I'm not sure now. I hope it is 26.

Lonely Roads never printed a "Gift Edition" of any kind as far as I know. Not sure what that would be.

I'll try to get an official report from Brian.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Randall Flagg
05-10-2009, 06:01 AM
$750 on loan-indefinitely, no thanks.

Aleister Crowley
05-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Oops

tippy4
05-10-2009, 10:46 AM
I really wish King would stop agreeing to do S/Ls for CD.

I actually like their books quite a bit, but it's the "indefinite loan" issue that RF mentioned above that has me annoyed.

I am passing on this one....completely.

$750 is just too much to pay.

And besides, I have deposited enough money into my 0% interest account at at The Bank of CD.

Still wating on my SoD2, Necon, and Legacies.

Gunkslinger
05-10-2009, 11:23 AM
I will never again "loan" money for a book to CD.

The only "CD" I will consider is the one at my bank. Six months at 3.21%.:thumbsup:

jhanic
05-10-2009, 11:24 AM
I think you all are forgetting that this is a Lonely Road book (which has been fairly prompt in getting their books out) rather than a Cemetary Dance book. This is the ONLY reason I'm getting the lettered and paying on order. As I said in the original post above, I may regret this, though.

John

Cutter
05-10-2009, 01:07 PM
There were 300 Limited Editions for Dark Forces, but the limitation had dropped to 200 for the next two books, and now 250 for the new Clegg book. All books have hadonly 26 Lettered Editions.

I would expect 300 Limited Editions and 26 Lettereds for the King book. That is one of the things Lonely Road is doing keeping the limitation small and creating a higher priced book, so they'll be collectible, not like the 1,500 copy Limited Edition that is a regular at CD. This is why they are doing a gift because the Limited and lettered's will not have enough copies for the King fans.

Also of note the first two books by Lonely Road took almost two years to make. But the third took about 6 months. They want to put out two books a year, which would make The Clegg and King book for the 2009 schedule. If it's not 2009, I wouldn't expect it to be much longer (under a year). This is a different business model than CD. But I'll admit I could be full of it. lol

Rahfa
05-10-2009, 03:08 PM
I think it will be out pretty soon...

Like I said, I think Lonely Road is an attempt at re-branding CD, so they want to keep up their decent reputation...

I'm passing though...would be more interested if the story was one that excited me...but will probably be a neat s/l after it's all said and done.

Dolan
05-10-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm passing though...would be more interested if the story was one that excited me...but will probably be a neat s/l after it's all said and done.

That's what I am hoping...

Ari_Racing
05-10-2009, 05:31 PM
I seriously doubt the gift will sold out, so I'm waiting to order it.

Cutter
05-11-2009, 12:55 PM
They'll have copies for a long time, there are 3,000. Plus 500 Limiteds and 52 Lettereds.

Looking at this as a collector and Lonely Road as a high end publisher, which was it's original goal, I have to say Lonely Road sold out. By having 500 Limited and 52 Lettereds it reduces the collectibality of this title immensely, disregarding the ridiculous number of 3,000 gift editions. This book should have been published as a CD book, not a Lonely Roads book, as it does not follow the formula of a high-end book with a low print run for collectability, which has previously been it's purpose.

e_taylor
05-11-2009, 01:23 PM
But would that many 3552 lemmings fork over the cash to CD with their growing reputation as a soon to be defunct publishing house?

Dolan
05-11-2009, 01:38 PM
They'll have copies for a long time, there are 3,000. Plus 500 Limiteds and 52 Lettereds.

Looking at this as a collector and Lonely Road as a high end publisher, which was it's original goal, I have to say Lonely Road sold out. By having 500 Limited and 52 Lettereds it reduces the collectibality of this title immensely, disregarding the ridiculous number of 3,000 gift editions. This book should have been published as a CD book, not a Lonely Roads book, as it does not follow the formula of a high-end book with a low print run for collectability, which has previously been it's purpose.

That's CRAZY! I haven't sent my check yet...!

idlewarnings
05-11-2009, 03:48 PM
I didn't think there was a King limited edition I could be less interested in than Secretary of Dreams. I was wrong. A book dedicated to a Z grade movie based on a C grade short story? Ugh.

jhanic
05-11-2009, 04:07 PM
The lettered state, which was the only one signed, must be now sold out--it's no longer on the page.

John

Rahfa
05-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Yeah, they were going to sell 52 of those...and that's where all the money is...$40K from just those books might pay the expenses of the entire run.

They don't care about the long-term collectability anyway...in the short term, they'll bring the money in from the lettered edition - but since it's taking a long time for Grant to sell out of the LSOE artist edition, I think the Gift Edition will be available for a loooong time.

Room 217 Caretaker
05-11-2009, 04:45 PM
I didn't think there was a King limited edition I could be less interested in than Secretary of Dreams. I was wrong. A book dedicated to a Z grade movie based on a C grade short story? Ugh.

I agree the movie was bad. However, the story struck a nerve due to my mom passing around the same time.

If I remember right, this was his first story after he got better from the accident. I think this dark story came from that accident along with many others he wrote.

JMO

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
05-12-2009, 01:57 AM
I may buy the Gift Edition after it is actually released. That's about as far as my interest goes given the prices and the lack of an SK sig on the limited edition.

lophophoras
05-12-2009, 03:07 AM
My sentiments exactly Patrick. There is no need to fork over the money today.

We have, at the least, a couple of years to make that decision.

:wtf:

jhanic
05-12-2009, 08:10 AM
The latest:

Hi there!

We have IMPORTANT STEPHEN KING NEWS to share, so read this email carefully so you don't miss out. We will be sending a newsletter to our big mailing list (25K collectors) about this book later this week, but we wanted to let our current customers get a head start on placing their orders, especially for the signed Limited Edition, which is already selling very quickly!

Yesterday Lonely Road Books announced their next book, a deluxe special edition of RIDING THE BULLET by Stephen King and Mick Garris, which will be published later this year as a Slipcased Gift Edition, a Traycased Limited Edition signed by Mick Garris and Bernie Wrightson, and a Traycased Lettered Edition signed by King, Wrightson, and Garris!

This oversized collectible hardcover will feature the complete text of King's original novella and Garris's screenplay, PLUS exclusive artwork by Bernie Wrightson, storyboards, photos from the set, production notes, hand-corrected script pages, and more from the "Director's Notebook" kept during the movie's production.

*** COLLECTORS TAKE NOTE:
This will be Stephen King's FIRST EVER "DOUBLE" style Limited Edition, and we expect collectors are really going to blown away by what Lonely Road Books has planned. Just imagine the special edition of DARK FORCES, then cross it with the special edition of THE ARTHUR DARKNELL DOUBLE, and you'll get some idea of what they're going to do.

*** SPECIAL $50 OFF COUPON OFFER TODAY AND TOMORROW ONLY:
Right now we are offering the Limited Edition for just $200 instead of the retail price of $250. To get that discount, enter BULLET50 into the coupon code field on the payment page and then make sure you click the REDEEM COUPON button before continuing. The page should then reload and automatically reduce your total due. If you run into any problems, let me know.

*** HERE IS THE LINK TO PLACE YOUR ORDER AND TO READ ALL OF THE DETAILS ABOUT THIS VERY SPECIAL BOOK:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/o_king40

~ Mindy

132-B Industry Lane
Unit #7
Forest Hill, MD 21050

410-588-5901 [phone]
410-588-5904 [fax]

John

shnnrc01
05-12-2009, 10:43 AM
well theres desperation for ya! $50 off the limited edition after only 24 hours of being released. sales must be bad. i think they tested the water at $250, saw that it wasnt nice and warm but actually very very cold and froze the balls off several collectors who tried to take a refreshing dip!! well i for one arent putting on my luminous green speedos and going swimming with the dirty slut CD this time!:wtf:

MaNuX87
05-12-2009, 11:52 AM
collectors is the best way

Room 217 Caretaker
05-12-2009, 04:00 PM
this Wrightson original art piece was used in the film "Riding the Bullet" as art that the main character drew

I can't wait to see what Bernie has in store for us in the book.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

herbertwest
05-13-2009, 03:46 PM
I remember that before the movie The Mist gets released, Frank Darabont said to lilja that he wanted to publish a limited edition with the novella & the screenplay.

It seems that Riding the bullet is something similar : i wonder if The Mist will get released... IMHO, it would be a lot more interesting that Riding... But i guess that has it havent been released on a single book, it is a relevant choice...

jhanic
05-18-2009, 05:04 PM
The latest:

Hi there!

There are now less than TEN copies of the signed Limited Edition of Riding the Bullet by Stephen King and Mick Garris (with artwork by Bernie Wrightson) left available, so we've decided to notify just you -- our recent Stephen King customers -- in case you're still on the fence! These copies WILL be gone before the day is over, which means this is your last chance to place your order! Here's the link:

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/o_king40

~ Mindy

132-B Industry Lane
Unit #7
Forest Hill, MD 21050

410-588-5901 [phone]
410-588-5904 [fax]

John

shnnrc01
08-01-2009, 12:40 AM
the gift edition is available for pre-order on amazon for $47.25 instead of the $75 retail.

Cutter
08-03-2009, 01:00 PM
the gift edition is available for pre-order on amazon for $47.25 instead of the $75 retail.

I just thought I would look to see what type of shipping date Amazon had and it was 10/31/09. All I have to say to that is "In your dreams" But it would be nice if true.

Gris
08-03-2009, 04:25 PM
I ordered one. Give Matt a little kickback with the link down bottom and screw CD by getting the book for 1/2 price. I won't feel as bad when I get it in 2013 (after the world ends).

SkippyD023
11-05-2009, 06:30 AM
I just recveived an e-mail from Amazon stating that the book is now scheduled to be shipped/released the middle of July 2010.

Niels
10-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Anyone knows if this WILL be available thru Amazon?

Or is this (again) a Cemetery Dance exclusive.

I don't mind buying the books for $75, but when I can save money on shipping!

Brian James Freeman
10-19-2010, 01:05 PM
Anyone knows if this WILL be available thru Amazon?

Or is this (again) a Cemetery Dance exclusive.

I don't mind buying the books for $75, but when I can save money on shipping!

Hi Niels!

Last time I checked, Amazon had tried to order thousands of copies via purchase orders, but those orders simply cannot be filled. There just aren't enough copies to go around, especially at the discount Amazon demands from many smaller publishers. Sorry!

Here is some info I posted in another thread that might help explain why not everyone sells every book to Amazon:

Amazon lists all kinds of books, even if they can't get them, because they assume they will get them somehow. We had this problem with Blockade Billy, too. But we've told them again and again that we can't fill their orders for these books.

Amazon also takes a very large discount, probably the biggest we've ever seen from a bookseller or distributor, and to sell them certain titles at that discount would mean losing money on each and every copy.

Amazon often sells books at a "loss" (meaning they lose money on the sale because they pay the publisher more for the book than they then resell it for) in the hopes that you'll also buy something else that they do make money on. They can afford to do that because they're a big company. Small companies, like ours, cannot lose money on purpose.

Hope this information helps!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman
http://www.CemeteryDance.com
brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

Niels
10-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Brian,

It's ok to keep the books for yourself and don't sell them thru the big retailers.
But not all your books are kept exclusive, like "Stephen King : The Non-fiction" was not.

Just needed to know if I was going to get the opportunity.

Thanks for the reply,

Niels
11-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Looked yesterday if the book was available thru Amazon...... "Temporarily out of stock".

Received an e-mail today.... "your pre-order has been shipped!" (I pre-ordered the book on January 19)

Let's see what book would NOT be available thru Amazon!?

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6821/87596627.jpg

jhanic
11-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Let us know if/when you receive this one!

John

thegreattim
11-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Looked yesterday if the book was available thru Amazon...... "Temporarily out of stock".

Received an e-mail today.... "your pre-order has been shipped!" (I pre-ordered the book on January 19)

Let's see what book would NOT be available thru Amazon!?

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6821/87596627.jpg

Yes, the same thing happened to a few others of us. Brian explained that these were reject books that were supposed to be destined for library sales that Amazon got a hold of, and as such, would not arrive in mint condition, nor with a slipcase. See the Cemetery Dance thread for full details.

Niels
11-11-2010, 01:12 PM
I had the impression they were talking about the SOD2 copies.

thegreattim
11-11-2010, 01:15 PM
They were and then I also got my amazon confirmation from my Sept. 2009 order of Riding The Bullet. I got a bit irritated since it seemed that CD had promised us no copies of either would be sold discount and posted my confirmation page, just like you. It derailed from there to talk mostly about RtB (at least that's how I took it).

Niels
11-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Aah, like that.

Let's wait and see what the book looks like.

thegreattim
11-11-2010, 01:30 PM
That's what I was thinking too. I may end up returning the Amazon product for misrepresentation if it really is not complete and/or is damaged.

SkippyD023
11-11-2010, 03:36 PM
I just received my copy from Amazon a few minutes ago. First off I was surprised to get it since they never told me it shipped and the website still indicates it is out of stock. Although the book does not have any damge to it there is no slipcase included and it has a 'mailing label' size UPC/ISBN sticker on the back of the DJ.

I will be returning this copy to Amazon. I did order a copy from CD once Brian said they were not giving any copies to Amazon. I guess I made a good choice.

jhanic
11-11-2010, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the info, Skippy.

John

carlosdetweiller
11-11-2010, 03:56 PM
I just received my copy from Amazon a few minutes ago. .

You got mail today? It is Veteran's Day and I thought no one was getting mail today. Are you in the US?

Randall Flagg
11-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Probably UPS.

SkippyD023
11-12-2010, 03:58 AM
Yes, it was UPS. Sorry for the confusion.

thegreattim
11-12-2010, 08:44 AM
I got my Amazon copy this morning. I really don't understand them at all. Last week I ordered a $9 paperback and they shrinkwrapped it to a large piece of cardboard which was then glued to the center of a corrugated cardboard box. There was no way that book could have been damaged, short of being driven over by a truck. But they send me Riding The Bullet, ostensibly a $75 book, wrapped in a paper-thin cardboard "bag". Of course the end of the spine is crushed in and there is a good ding to the middle front cover as well. And, as Brian promised, no slipcase. I will be returning it promptly and keeping my order with Camelot.

Just wanted to second Skippy's comment.

Niels
11-12-2010, 11:00 AM
It's gonna be a pricy few weeks for them. If mine is without a slipcase, too, then I will return mine as well.
Last time they send me a book which needed to return (because the dustjacket was ripped), it cost 20 euro.

I did receive a full refund, with return-shipping-cost included (back then).

thegreattim
11-12-2010, 12:19 PM
It's gonna be a pricy few weeks for them. If mine is without a slipcase, too, then I will return mine as well.
Last time they send me a book which needed to return (because the dustjacket was ripped), it cost 20 euro.

I did receive a full refund, with return-shipping-cost included (back then).

They did provide me with a pre-paid UPS return label.

Brian James Freeman
11-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Hey everyone!

My apologies for not posting the Amazon information here as well the other day! I didn't realize the question had been asked in this thread.

We emailed Amazon to let them know they're shipping less than perfect copies that are missing a key component, etc, for what that's worth. If someone just wants a copy to read, these would suit those purposes, but we certainly didn't send these copies to our distributor for Amazon to snag. I hope at least some of them made it to the libraries, which was our intention.

If you have any questions, just drop me a line.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

jhanic
11-15-2010, 03:22 PM
I just got notice that my s/l and gift editions have shipped. Still waiting on the lettered (my first lettered!)

John

thegreattim
11-15-2010, 09:51 PM
...(my first lettered!)

Awesome, congratulations! That is so cool to be one of only so few people in the world owning such a book.

jhanic
12-14-2010, 02:03 PM
I just got word that my lettered edition has shipped!

John

thegreattim
12-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Cool! Pics when it arrives?

jhanic
12-14-2010, 07:01 PM
All I have access to is a scanner and I doubt that will be large enough to do the book properly.

John

thegreattim
12-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Nor would I put anything on the scanner besides the cover. Oh, well. I'll have to make do with the pics Brian posted on CD's webpage.

Merlin1958
12-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Those guys at Lonely Road are almost as good as the CD guys!!!!! LOL

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/8767/ridingthebullet001.jpg

Gift Edition, ordered from Dave at The Overlook!! Handsome book!!

frik
12-23-2010, 08:49 AM
*Out of Foreign Customs, December 23, 2010, 11:41 am, NETHERLANDS
*Into Foreign Customs, December 08, 2010, 8:02 am, NETHERLANDS

Both my gift- and S/L editions - stuck for weeks!

:arg:

No way they'll be here before Christmas!

sk

thegreattim
12-23-2010, 09:25 AM
*Out of Foreign Customs, December 23, 2010, 11:41 am, NETHERLANDS
*Into Foreign Customs, December 08, 2010, 8:02 am, NETHERLANDS

Both my gift- and S/L editions - stuck for weeks!

:arg:

No way they'll be here before Christmas!

sk

That sucks! Do all your incoming packages have to spend that long in Customs, or is this an unusual event?

frik
12-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Some do, others for only a day (or two..).
Oh well, next week for sure.
Plus, my lettered is still in limbo...

sk

biomieg
12-23-2010, 12:10 PM
In my experience the only stuff that gets held up at Dutch customs are items which have a price on the package > €20 or something like that - you have to pay additional taxes for those. It can take weeks to reach you and you have to pay additional money. I absolutely hate it when that happens and I usually ask the seller to put a lower value on the package if possible.

frik
12-24-2010, 10:36 AM
True - I had to pay some € 30.00 for my gift and S/L editions. Hate to think what I'll have to pay extra once the lettered edition is here.
Oh well, at least the wait is over - happy to have the books in my possession!

sk

carlosdetweiller
12-24-2010, 01:40 PM
I just picked up the s/l edition of the book for $170 on eBay from Roy Robbins at Bad Moon Books. He still has one left. Issue price was $250.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310282570451&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Dr. Dawg
12-24-2010, 02:57 PM
I am looking to sell a copy of the S/L as well. I can't go as low as Roy, so if anyone misses out on the remaining copy at $170, I would accept $225 for mine (#101).... still below issue price.

MarkHarrill
12-28-2010, 11:14 AM
I got the last one. This seems like a better idea than keeping my gift edition that is on the way.

Patrick
01-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Does anyone have an estimate of how many Advance Uncorrected Proof copies of RIDING THE BULLET were produced?

jhanic
01-09-2011, 04:28 AM
Does anyone have an estimate of how many Advance Uncorrected Proof copies of RIDING THE BULLET were produced?

I've heard fewer than 25. Of course, there's no good way of verifying this unless Brian advises otherwise.

John

carlosdetweiller
01-09-2011, 05:00 AM

I've heard fewer than 25. Of course, there's no good way of verifying this unless Brian advises otherwise.

John

That was what we were told initially. Then, after paying pretty high prices for the first available copies, they became readily available. Some sellers even offered them at Dutch auctions for $40 and had five or more copies to sell. I got burned on this one big time.

Room 217 Caretaker
01-09-2011, 05:51 AM

John

That was what we were told initially. Then, after paying pretty high prices for the first available copies, they became readily available. Some sellers even offered them at Dutch auctions for $40 and had five or more copies to sell. I got burned on this one big time.

I know the number is small, my guess less than 70 but I've never heard less than 25. Somehow some sellers did receive extra copies but I think the number is still low.

Let me ask this.......I have one for sale for $63 (mint, bagged & boarded). Price includes insurance & shipping in the US. International will be at cost.

Am I ripping someone off with this price? I hope not, that was never my intention.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Brian James Freeman
01-09-2011, 06:59 AM

Due to the unusual nature of this project (reprint novella with script with extras), I only sent out review copies to a couple of the trade reviewers (Publishers Weekly, Library Journal, etc) and a few places that requested copies. I didn't do a big mailing to a lot of reviewers. But this ARC was part of a promotional offer where customers could order something and get the ARC as part of the deal. I'll have to try to find the invoice from our review copy printer and see how many there were. I don't think we sold a lot of the promo offer, but I do remember there was no limit on how many times you could purchase the deal and some people definitely stockpiled copies. Because this ARC was offered as part of a deal, a much higher percentage of copies than normal ended up directly in the hands of readers/collectors -- without a book reviewer or bookseller being an intermediary, as is often the case.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

jhanic
01-09-2011, 10:01 AM

John

As did I.

John

Patrick
01-09-2011, 01:37 PM

Due to the unusual nature of this project (reprint novella with script with extras), I only sent out review copies to a couple of the trade reviewers (Publishers Weekly, Library Journal, etc) and a few places that requested copies. I didn't do a big mailing to a lot of reviewers. But this ARC was part of a promotional offer where customers could order something and get the ARC as part of the deal. I'll have to try to find the invoice from our review copy printer and see how many there were. I don't think we sold a lot of the promo offer, but I do remember there was no limit on how many times you could purchase the deal and some people definitely stockpiled copies. Because this ARC was offered as part of a deal, a much higher percentage of copies than normal ended up directly in the hands of readers/collectors -- without a book reviewer or bookseller being an intermediary, as is often the case.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman
Thank you for the background info. I missed that promo offer, most likely through oversight on my part.

Your small mailing to reviewers is likely the source of the speculation that fewer than 25 of these existed.

If you are able to confirm the overall figure, I'm sure a lot of us would be grateful.

Thanks again, Brian.
- Patrick

wizardsrainbow
01-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Quickly-

What would an ARC of CD's Riding the Bullet be worth today. Initial sales $ were kinda high, but I think it is more common than people thought. Thanks.

jhanic
01-11-2011, 10:14 AM
David, I'd say about $100.

John

Brian James Freeman
01-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Thank you for the background info. I missed that promo offer, most likely through oversight on my part.

Your small mailing to reviewers is likely the source of the speculation that fewer than 25 of these existed.

If you are able to confirm the overall figure, I'm sure a lot of us would be grateful.

Thanks again, Brian.
- Patrick

I was able to find the old invoice. There were 55 copies printed of the Riding the Bullet ARC. Only 8 of them were sent to reviewers, and the rest either went to customers through promotional offers or are still in my personal collection. Hope this info is helpful!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

Patrick
01-11-2011, 10:18 AM

Thanks again, Brian.
- Patrick

I was able to find the old invoice. There were 55 copies printed of the Riding the Bullet ARC. Only 8 of them were sent to reviewers, and the rest either went to customers through promotional offers or are still in my personal collection. Hope this info is helpful!

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman
So I own one out of only 55 (some of which are still with the publisher)? Cool. Thanks for the info!

jhanic
01-11-2011, 10:20 AM
David, I'd like to amend my statement above. I just noticed Brian stated that 55 copies of the Riding the Bullet ARC were published. This is a relatively small amount. Perhaps a more realistic price would be in the $200-$300 range would be more accurate.

John

jhanic
01-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the information, Brian. These kind of numbers are usually virtually impossible to find out.

John

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-11-2011, 10:31 AM
Quickly-

What would an ARC of CD's Riding the Bullet be worth today. Initial sales $ were kinda high, but I think it is more common than people thought. Thanks.

The price will go down quickly. The last 2 on ebay sold for $15 and $61.03

http://cgi.ebay.com/RIDING-BULLET-STEPHEN-KING-SC-ARC-/310283256848?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item483e52c410

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-RIDING-BULLET-ARC-Proof-/160527130028?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item2560299dac

Patrick
01-11-2011, 10:46 AM
Quickly-

The price will go down quickly. The last 2 on ebay sold for $15 and $61.03

http://cgi.ebay.com/RIDING-BULLET-STEPHEN-KING-SC-ARC-/310283256848?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item483e52c410

http://cgi.ebay.com/Stephen-King-RIDING-BULLET-ARC-Proof-/160527130028?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item2560299dac
However we know now from the publisher the quantity published and it seems relatively small - to this proof rookie anyway. I would think that the verified relative scarcity would increase the price going forward. But again, I am pretty ignorant in this arena.

EDIT: The auction that ended at only $15 also had the wrong ARC in the photograph. I know that that sort of mistake can lead to some potential buyers shying away from an auction because it creates confusion and/or doubt about the seller's competence.

Patrick
01-11-2011, 10:47 AM
NOTE:

I moved the discussions regarding the RTB ARC from the CD thread and the Collecting Questions thread over to this dedicated RIDING THE BULLET thread to keep the discussion in one central location.

Thank you.
- Patrick

jhanic
01-11-2011, 10:47 AM
I agree. I think those prices, now that we know the number of ARCs produced, were low.

John

Brian James Freeman
01-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the information, Brian. These kind of numbers are usually virtually impossible to find out.

John

Happy to help. I love ARCs -- some of my favorite items in my SK collection are ARCs. I know some people really don't care about them at all while others really like having that "first" printed version of a book. Plus, of course, the print runs are almost always lower than any other edition ever done for the book... with the exception of books like Rose Madder, The Da Vinci Code, or The Passage where the New York publisher did thousands of copies of the ARC to really spread the word among booksellers and reviewers.

Best wishes,
Brian Freeman

jhanic
01-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Brian, have you check out my Collections thread?

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?6011-Book-Collection-jhanic-proofs

John

Brian James Freeman
01-11-2011, 11:08 AM
Brian, have you check out my Collections thread?

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?6011-Book-Collection-jhanic-proofs

John

Yes, with much envy! :)

Brian

biomieg
01-11-2011, 12:45 PM
So Brian, you really shouldn't have said this because we want, no we need to see pictures of your collection now...

Just kidding of course, you don't have to do anything but I for one would love to see the proofs and ARCs in your collection (that's where my main interest lies, too).

Tito_Villa
01-11-2011, 12:59 PM
The is a lettered copy on sale on ebay ... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230571545045&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Very interested to see what this will fetch!

Brian James Freeman
01-11-2011, 12:59 PM
So Brian, you really shouldn't have said this because we want, no we need to see pictures of your collection now...

Just kidding of course, you don't have to do anything but I for one would love to see the proofs and ARCs in your collection (that's where my main interest lies, too).

HA! :) There are many rare ones I'm still missing, but the one in my collection that means the most to me is a signed and inscribed copy of Bag of Bones. It's certainly not the most rare ARC by far, but a good friend (who I lost contact with many ages ago) got it signed for me. I loaned the ARC to him before the book hit stores, and he took it with him to a King signing without telling me. When he mailed the ARC back to me, he included a note that said, "I always try to return things in the same condition I receive them, so I hope you'll forgive me for the spot of ink on the title page." :)

Brian

P.S. Sorry to get off topic!

jhanic
01-11-2011, 01:01 PM
:rofl:

John

biomieg
01-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Great story, Brian. My favorite proof is probably either my DIFFERENT SEASONS or my SKELETON CREW. I love these books and to have these little pieces of publishing history in my collection just makes me a happy camper :) but anyway, nice to hear that you actually collect them too. Two years ago I didn't even know these things existed!

jhanic
01-15-2011, 05:50 PM
The is a lettered copy on sale on ebay ... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230571545045&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This one went for 521 BPS, or about $827 US. Publisher's price was $750.

John

carlosdetweiller
01-15-2011, 06:10 PM

This one went for 521 BPS, or about $827 US. Publisher's price was $750.

John

I thought about bidding on that one but it would have cost another $63 or so to get it shipped back to the US. I'm pretty sure I can get one cheaper than that.

tippy4
01-15-2011, 06:49 PM
I was going to bid on this...then forgot the auction ended today.

30 minutes after the auction ended, I was feverishly trying to pull up the auction on my PC.....hoping I had not missed it

When I realized I had, I was not too upset because it went for more (about $900 shipped) than I was willing to pay anyhow.

I am with you Bob...I will hold out until I can get one for less than $800.

Patrick
02-03-2011, 12:09 AM
I just picked up the s/l edition of the book for $170 on eBay from Roy Robbins at Bad Moon Books. He still has one left. Issue price was $250.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310282570451&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I just picked up one of these (deluxe edition 500 copies) for $155 on eBay.

On another note, I was watching an auction for one of the 55 ARC's right here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190496131847). I was surprised to see it sell for as low as it did. I hope it went to one of our members.

Room 217 Caretaker
02-03-2011, 03:36 AM

I just picked up one of these (deluxe edition 500 copies) for $155 on eBay.

On another note, I was watching an auction for one of the 55 ARC's right here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190496131847). I was surprised to see it sell for as low as it did. I hope it went to one of our members.

I tried for it but the auction ended before I could get back. This is one of those cases the seller didn't know what he had, and the collecting world hasn't caught on to only 55 existing.

Like you said, hopefully someone here grabbed it.

Mulleins

thegreattim
02-03-2011, 05:55 AM
On a whim, I used the BiN option on the other Riding the Bullet ARC I could find on eBay and offered the same price as the one that just sold that you guys were talking about. It was auto approved and I am now the proud owner of my second Stephen King proof in as many weeks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=160536240651&si=sUzf5PPI8eDyrn3tU2DYiNx4J8A%253D&viewitem=

biomieg
02-03-2011, 07:17 AM
If you are in need of more proofs, Tim... I still have a decent stash that needs to go ;)

thegreattim
02-03-2011, 09:33 AM
No, thanks for the offer Michaël, but I am supposedly saving for a Gunslinger 1/1. This was more of a spur of the moment purchase when I saw the conversation up-thread. I have many more 1st and limited editions I want to collect before I start really getting into proofs. :)

biomieg
02-03-2011, 12:41 PM
That's okay :)

herbertwest
02-03-2011, 01:20 PM
On a whim, I used the BiN option on the other Riding the Bullet ARC I could find on eBay and offered the same price as the one that just sold that you guys were talking about. It was auto approved and I am now the proud owner of my second Stephen King proof in as many weeks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=160536240651&si=sUzf5PPI8eDyrn3tU2DYiNx4J8A%253D&viewitem=

how much did it go for?

Patrick
02-03-2011, 02:05 PM

I tried for it but the auction ended before I could get back. This is one of those cases the seller didn't know what he had, and the collecting world hasn't caught on to only 55 existing.

Like you said, hopefully someone here grabbed it.

Mulleins
I continued to watch it, but I didn't feel like spending the money right now to get a second one. This is a perfect example of how an auction seller does not need "just one motivated buyer," it wants two.

Congrats, Tim!

how much did it go for?
That's two sales of these ARC's from two different sellers for $56 each.

tippy4
02-03-2011, 07:53 PM
I am looking for a Lettered Edition of Riding The Bullet.

I have a 1st edition of The Gunslinger in fine condition I would like to trade.

PM me if interested.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-03-2011, 11:36 PM
I'm also looking for a Lettered Edition of Riding The Bullet.

I have money to trade.

Randall Flagg
12-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Any success?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
12-05-2011, 01:16 PM
I bought a couple of Lettered Editions yesterday, but they were not, Riding the Bullet.

Randall Flagg
12-05-2011, 01:20 PM
I bought a couple of Lettered Editions yesterday, but they were not, Riding the Bullet.
:cool_002:

AKC
12-05-2011, 03:38 PM
I sold mine to tippy earlier this year......

AKC

sgc1999
12-05-2011, 03:38 PM
i have one i might be willing to part with for the right price:)