PDA

View Full Version : HOW TO: Keep track of your books

funky dredd
08-24-2007, 06:38 AM
What does everyone use to keep track of what they have? I use a program called BookDB (which is free) and I also use a spreadsheet (if I can remember to update it). But what does everyone else do?

Link to BookDB
http://www.spacejock.com/BookDB.html?BookDB2

Brice
08-24-2007, 06:45 AM
Shamefully, I don't. The valuable ones I know what I have, but beyond my own memory I use nothing to keep track of them.

Rjeso
08-24-2007, 07:13 AM
I don't keep track, either. I don't have any valuable ones, so I guess I never really felt the need. I just chuck 'em on a bookshelf. On the one hand, sometimes that leads to me double-buying a book. On the other hand, it's always a nice surprise when I run across one I haven't seen in forever, too, especially if it was still packed up in a box after a move... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/silver_phoenix11/smileys/paperbag.gif

Randall Flagg
08-24-2007, 07:47 AM
You can either use a book database as mentioned or build one in Access. I built one, established the key and relationships, created a form, then never took the time to enter the data. :unsure:

fernandito
08-24-2007, 07:56 AM
People keep track of their books? :)

Frunobulax
08-24-2007, 08:58 AM
I use my eyes and a series of bookshelves to keep track of all my books. I'm all oldskool.

funky dredd
08-24-2007, 10:04 AM
You can either use a book database as mentioned or build one in Access. I built one, established the key and relationships, created a form, then never took the time to enter the data. :unsure:
I thought about doing that, but then found BookDB and never thought of it again. I guess i'm just lazy, the less work I have to do on a computer after hours the better off I am going to be. If my pc at home has something going on with it be an error or something I feel like I am being drug behind a bus when I fix it! I guess that's what happens after all of these years working in the industry.

fernandito
08-24-2007, 10:06 AM
I use my eyes and a series of bookshelves to keep track of all my books. I'm all oldskool.

Go white boi! go white boi!

jhanic
08-24-2007, 11:09 AM
I use an Excel spreadsheet with the following tabs:

Books
Checklist
Magazines
Comics
Anthologies
Promos
Books About King
Proofs
Items on order

It seems to work fairly well for me.

John

Patrick
08-24-2007, 11:11 AM
I thought about doing that, but then found BookDB and never thought of it again. I guess i'm just lazy, the less work I have to do on a computer after hours the better off I am going to be. If my pc at home has something going on with it be an error or something I feel like I am being drug behind a bus when I fix it! I guess that's what happens after all of these years working in the industry.
This database sounds like a great idea. I should do it. I used to keep an Excel spreadsheet with basic information (title, S/L number, date and price paid), but that is hopelessly out of date.

So, like Brice, I rely on my memory in regards to my collectible books. The good thing about that method is that I tend to forget how much I paid for these books - which increases my enjoyment of them. :lol:

My current strategy (as of last night) is to take photos of every book and post them in my "Collectible Books" thread here at TDT.com, so I'll have some kind of record that will survive if my house burns down.

After that, maybe I'll diddle with a database.

Frunobulax
08-24-2007, 11:20 AM

Go white boi! go white boi!

You know it!

Cutter
08-24-2007, 12:54 PM
yea, I'm pretty much a geek. I keep them all on-line, so I can check them out while at work or whenever.

book collection (http://www.gusfromcbus.com/books/books.php)

And another one that I am trying to set up, but I've just been lazy, and only have about 50 entries so far. It's called LibraryThing. It's actually pretty cool, it's also a social network, if you want it to be.

My LibraryThing (http://www.librarything.com/catalog/DireWolf)

Patrick
08-24-2007, 01:30 PM
yea, I'm pretty much a geek. I keep them all on-line, so I can check them out while at work or whenever.

Geoff, this database is amazing. I am truly impressed with your books and with this site that you've created.

:thumbsup:

fernandito
08-24-2007, 01:36 PM

And to show them off too, right? :D

Randall Flagg
08-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Geez Greg, you could be assisting me on the King catalog (hint hint).

Patrick
08-24-2007, 02:16 PM
I was thinking the same thing. :lol:

Cutter
08-24-2007, 02:53 PM
I was thinking the same thing. :lol:

Actually I was going to offer, but my pictures are much smaller. I would have to re-scan my books. Which is still something I might do.

btw, thanks Patrick :)

@feverishparade. Yea, I guess a little. But honestly I've started this site about 4-5 years ago, and this is the first time I've shown it. It really is my own little geek thing, it's just pretty much for myself.

btw, Jerome, Greg is the most used name when someone screws up and calls me something other than my real name. lol

Geoff

jhanic
08-24-2007, 04:41 PM

Geoff, I just checked this out and it's amazing! How long did it take you to set this up?

WOW!!

John

Randall Flagg
08-24-2007, 04:51 PM
Sorry Geoff. The help I was thinking of besides scanning/pics was some of the info I saw listed about different books on your page(s). I'm sure you have seen the comments I made (hopefully) for books in the catalog thread. You have important info I did not include.
I really would appreciate any and ALL help to provide valuable info to every book in the catalog.

MonteGss
08-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Though I don't consider myself a collector, I love books and I have many. I use a cheap but efficient program called Bookpedia. I don't know if they have it for Windows. I like it because I can easily see which books I have read, what I thought of them as well as which books I haven't read yet. :)

Room 217 Caretaker
08-25-2007, 03:46 AM
I use Excel. I've been collecting King since the early 80's. The books have value so keeping an updated spreadsheet makes my insurance provider very happy.

Not all insurance companies cover books. I have an umbrella policy on my estate. I was surprised to find out my books are covered.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Cutter
08-25-2007, 02:00 PM

Geoff, I just checked this out and it's amazing! How long did it take you to set this up?

WOW!!

John
It's been around 5 years. It originally started as my David Bowie collection (which has a very different theme), which is well above 500 items. But then I decided to add my books, and then just everything else I owned.

@RF, yes I can add some information.

funky dredd
08-25-2007, 02:50 PM

And another one that I am trying to set up, but I've just been lazy, and only have about 50 entries so far. It's called LibraryThing. It's actually pretty cool, it's also a social network, if you want it to be.

Wow that's awesome! Great job, that must have taken some time.

Ari_Racing
08-27-2007, 05:01 AM
I'm working on a script with an access database linked where I can see the info of the book plus some pics of it. :)
I'm still taking pictures..

fernandito
08-27-2007, 05:04 AM
This thread has convinced me to start keeping track of my books. Well I guess now I have a reason to use Excel at home :P

Sir_Boomme
08-28-2007, 07:55 AM

that is one incredible web page....

did you use a software gui to develop the HTML, or did write the code from scratch?
if you used software, would you mind sharing what it is/where you got it with me?
i've been teaching myself HTML for a couple of months... but would like to simplify the original source writing using a good gui program - then do the tweaking.
i'm pretty much a geek also - i know fortran,pascal,turbo pascal, basic,Q-basic, C, C++, autolisp, Unix, SKILL, and AMPLE languages...so i'm picking up the HTML coding fairly easy... but having a good GUI program to do the grunt work for me would expedite things for me.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: thumbs up on your catalog page.

fernandito
08-28-2007, 08:03 AM
I hate C++.

You can quote me on that.

Cutter
08-28-2007, 11:37 AM

that is one incredible web page....

did you use a software gui to develop the HTML, or did write the code from scratch?
if you used software, would you mind sharing what it is/where you got it with me?
i've been teaching myself HTML for a couple of months... but would like to simplify the original source writing using a good gui program - then do the tweaking.
i'm pretty much a geek also - i know fortran,pascal,turbo pascal, basic,Q-basic, C, C++, autolisp, Unix, SKILL, and AMPLE languages...so i'm picking up the HTML coding fairly easy... but having a good GUI program to do the grunt work for me would expedite things for me.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: thumbs up on your catalog page.

Thanks for the complements!

No, I just code it myself. Basically I use a lot of includes, a css file, and a template. I use Dreamweaver, and I use the code part of the program. I really don't like drag and drop interfaces. I use php for the database and includes. But I don't use the database as much as you would think, as a lot of the information is book specific. So a lot of the stuff is hand written, as is the image placements.

Enough rambling. What it comes down to with a template, includes and a css stylesheet, I only have to create about 25% of a page to add a new book. If it's a trade edition it's done in under 5 minutes. If it's a Limited Edition it might take me up to 20 minutes. It matters how many pictures I take, and how much extra stuff and/or links I add to the page.

I recommend Dreamweaver, though. It's the only program I'll use for non-object oriented web sites.

I hate C++.

You can quote me on that.

yea, I like VB.net. It may not be as robust as C++, but it's a hell of a lot easier to work with.

Matt
08-28-2007, 11:54 AM
I use Excel. I've been collecting King since the early 80's. The books have value so keeping an updated spreadsheet makes my insurance provider very happy.

Not all insurance companies cover books. I have an umbrella policy on my estate. I was surprised to find out my books are covered.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Welcome to the site Mulleins. Great to have you here.

wizardsrainbow
08-29-2007, 03:26 AM
I just use an excel spreadsheet that I was meticulous in keeping current until the last six months or so. I do not know why I have slacked off!

I keep acquisition date, price paid, seller, condition, signed or not, # edition, and current market value in my spreadsheet

funky dredd
08-29-2007, 08:40 AM
I don't have the current market value in my spreadsheet, that would be too much for me to keep up with.

jhanic
08-29-2007, 09:02 AM
I agree. I have more than 380 books in my main spreadsheet. Trying to keep those up-to-date would be virtually impossible!

John

Patrick
08-29-2007, 04:30 PM
I hope you keep a backup copy of that spreadsheet somewhere else, Wiz!

Matt
08-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Seriously :lol:

I bet that thing is full to the rafters.

I think MS Access would work great for this so its cool to hear someone is using it.

Although that site is cool as hell as well.

Chooch
04-16-2008, 06:27 PM
I use Collectorz.com book for my collection. Its free up to 100 titles and its really a very good program. You can buy the full version for $29 but I have not had any reason as of yet. I know this is a old post but I think others that may need it should revist this...Thanks

Patrick
04-16-2008, 08:02 PM
I use Collectorz.com book for my collection. Its free up to 100 titles and its really a very good program. You can buy the full version for $29 but I have not had any reason as of yet. I know this is a old post but I think others that may need it should revist this...Thanks
Thanks for the idea, Chooch. I'm looking at it right here right now (http://www.collectorz.com/book/).

The full version is now $39, but on the right side of the screen if you scroll down, there is the free trial you mention.

Does it recognize the limited editions when you type in the basic info since they're generally not really Amazon material?

Edit: I've tried using the ISBN search function with a couple different books, it just goes into an endless search. Chooch, does that function work for you?

Chooch
04-17-2008, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the idea, Chooch. I'm looking at it right here right now (http://www.collectorz.com/book/).

The full version is now $39, but on the right side of the screen if you scroll down, there is the free trial you mention.

Does it recognize the limited editions when you type in the basic info since they're generally not really Amazon material?

Edit: I've tried using the ISBN search function with a couple different books, it just goes into an endless search. Chooch, does that function work for you?

Yes it does....go into the screen to add a book (not add manually) and in the upper right there is a icon for "Info Sources" Pop that open and limit the search to the ones you want IE Powells, - Barnes & Noble- Library of Congress - British LibraryCongress etc etc. You can customize the software quite a bit...but you have to get used to how it runs and then you will see the makers train of thought. If you have anyother ? on this please ask. I have been using this four about 6 MO now.:rock:

funky dredd
04-17-2008, 05:26 AM
That looks good, I'm going to give it a whirl. Thanks!

Chooch
04-17-2008, 05:43 AM
That looks good, I'm going to give it a whirl. Thanks!

IMO it gives more vesitality than just spreadsheet...plus the bouns of seeing the covers also. If the program does not download a cover you can import it from somewhere else.

jhanic
04-17-2008, 06:05 AM
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but this program seems based on the book's ISBN number. What do you do if it doesn't have an ISBN number, as do many of King's early works?

John

LadyHitchhiker
04-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Pen and notebook... or a txt file.

jhanic
04-17-2008, 06:17 AM
As I said back when this thread first started, I use an Excel spreadsheet, but I don't list the ISBN as one of the fields. Of course, I don't have the covers in it either, though. That is a very nice touch!

John

Chooch
04-17-2008, 06:27 AM
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but this program seems based on the book's ISBN number. What do you do if it doesn't have an ISBN number, as do many of King's early works?

John

You can manualy enter any and all info

funky dredd
04-17-2008, 09:53 AM
John, you can at least get some of his stuff off of wikipedia. Granted not all of them are there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Novels_by_Stephen_King
main sk page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_King#The_books

But it does help...it did for me as I was able to grab some book covers.

I like this program already...I was able to import most of the covers that it didn't get during the download of information process. Thank chooch, this just might get me away from BookDB!

Patrick
04-17-2008, 10:03 AM
I'll have to try this program again tonight when I get home. Last night I entered a couple ISBNs and it went into endless search. I clicked on only Amazon and Library of Congress in an attempt to limit the database searches, but it didn't seem to help. As Funky is having immediate success, I'll try again.

Cutter
04-17-2008, 10:25 AM
lol, I like the fact that almost all the screen shots have It or Cell in them. :rock:

Patrick
04-17-2008, 10:31 AM
lol, I like the fact that almost all the screen shots have It or Cell in them. :rock:
Apparently they know their core market. :lol:

Chooch
04-17-2008, 12:07 PM
a good place to get all your cover's is at Lilja's Libary under DJ's and the right click, save picture as, put them wherevr you want(I keep mine under My Docs/Pictures/SK) open that folder and save. I did that with every cover there. When you are in the collectorz program there is a tab for cover (browse, find your file, find you cover,click and its there)

Chooch
04-17-2008, 12:09 PM
I'll have to try this program again tonight when I get home. Last night I entered a couple ISBNs and it went into endless search. I clicked on only Amazon and Library of Congress in an attempt to limit the database searches, but it didn't seem to help. As Funky is having immediate success, I'll try again.

dont forget to imput with the dashes in the ISBN. I use the ISBN 10 not the 13
also use Powell's,Amazon, Barnes & Noble.

Chooch
04-17-2008, 12:59 PM

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Welcome to the site Mulleins. Great to have you here.

Im very surprised that they have not asked for an appraisel on your collection. Mine did and I told them to pound sand.....:pullhair:

funky dredd
04-17-2008, 03:08 PM
I noticed they also had a db for comics as well. Very cool, and there is a way around the 100 book limit. Just create a new database ;)
What I did was create one for SK books and then one for my other books. :D
Really diggin' this program thanks again chooch!

Chooch
04-17-2008, 03:33 PM
I noticed they also had a db for comics as well. Very cool, and there is a way around the 100 book limit. Just create a new database ;)
What I did was create one for SK books and then one for my other books. :D
Really diggin' this program thanks again chooch!

Glad you are Funky Dredd...I like it also:rock: I knew about using another data base but didnt want to get people freaked..:lol:

jemaher
04-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Most excellent thread. will have to investivate these databases further.

Matt
04-17-2008, 03:54 PM
I wish I had enough collectible books that I would need a database. :lol:

Right now, I can just tell them.

Chooch
04-17-2008, 04:02 PM

Whatever you have will work with this program...Thats the beauty and its free:clap:

jhanic
04-17-2008, 04:12 PM
I've got almost 400 King books, not counting the anthologies, magazines, comics, books about King, but including my proofs. If I decide to go with this, I'll have to buy the full program!

John

funky dredd
04-17-2008, 04:59 PM
Give the demo a try first John, that way you know if you like it and want to keep it then just buy it.

Matt
04-17-2008, 05:09 PM

Whatever you have will work with this program...Thats the beauty and its free:clap:

Y'know...you're right. It might be kind of fun to put my 6 books in there. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks Chooch. :rock:

jhanic
04-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Give the demo a try first John, that way you know if you like it and want to keep it then just buy it.

That's what I'll be doing, when I get a chance. It sounds like a lot of work to input all the necessary information, though, so I want to make sure I have the time to do it.

John

Patrick
04-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Did you say to include the dashes in the number? :doh: I'll give that a try.

That comic database that Funky mentioned sure looks tempting. If the book one gets working well, I'll download the free trial of the comic one too.

Dolan
04-17-2010, 04:22 PM
I had a question for you guys...

So I have been collecting for many years (as some of you old timers know) and I also have family members who are collectors as well which is probably what got me into collecting. In addition, I studied literature in college so books are a huge passion to me.

With that said, I have almost 2,000 hardcover (mainly signed/inscribed/rare/firsts/ SL editions, etc) in my apartment and probably just as many in my parents home. I think when Karen came over to my place once, she noted that my books are in no specific order, which is of no help in easily locating specific books. The only books that are in order of publication are the Joe Hill books - but that's probably because I've been collecting him fairly recently.

So my question is this... I know that most of you guys document your collections in an inventory type of way - probably in an excel sheet format. What should I document? Of course the author/title/etc... but what else do you document? Date of publication? Original price?

I'm trying to get an idea of how I should go about this so I can formally get my library on paper. The reason I am doing this is because fairly recently I have been noticing that I am bidding on and buying books that I already have and don't really need another copy of.

Hopefully this can be helpful to a few of us looking to document our collections...

Randall Flagg
04-17-2010, 04:29 PM
There is a thread discussing HOW TO: Keep track of your books (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=814)
I know from experience that whether it's an excel spreadsheet, or acess database the toughest part is maintaining the records.

ELazansky
04-17-2010, 04:29 PM
I am using a program called BookTome - http://booktome.shanemca.com/ - it is freeware and for my small but growing collection, it is great

Patrick
04-17-2010, 04:30 PM
My collection is nowhere near as extensive as yours. My "record" is my thread in the Collections subforum.

I have an old spreadsheet of my early purchases that is quite outdated. If I ever want to update it, I would have to check my email records for orders and receipts for pricing (I keep all those emails in their own archive), but the rest of the pertinent info I try to capture in my photo record collection thread.

By the way, I think we may already have a thread on this topic. If so, we'll merge this into that one and continue the discussion as I think it would be of interest to new and experienced collectors alike.

EDIT: Jerome beat me to the punch. We'll merge this there, but please continue the discussion, everyone.

jhanic
04-17-2010, 04:32 PM
I use an Excel spreadsheet, with the books, the proofs I own, anthologies, magazines, comics, promotional items, books about King, and art each in its own tab. On the last tab I keep the items I have on order.

For all the items, I put the date of publication, my cost, when I ordered it, when I got it, who I got it from and any other pertinent information (such as if it's numbered, signed, has a remarque, publisher's letters, etc.) and condition if not fine/mint.

John

Dolan
04-17-2010, 04:54 PM
EDIT: Jerome beat me to the punch. We'll merge this there, but please continue the discussion, everyone.

Sorry boys! I knew I saw this somewhere but I wasn't successful in finding it in an initial search. This thread is pretty good info... Thanks!

Dolan
04-17-2010, 05:07 PM
I am using a program called BookTome - http://booktome.shanemca.com/ - it is freeware and for my small but growing collection, it is great

Ps - this looks pretty amazing so far...

turtlex
04-17-2010, 05:24 PM
There is a free "book collector" template available for Microsoft Excel. It's kind of generic, but you can tweak it ... and did I mention? It's free.

Patrick
04-17-2010, 05:26 PM
There is a free "book collector" template available for Microsoft Excel. It's kind of generic, but you can tweak it ... and did I mention? It's free.
Interesting. Do you have a link, Pam?

turtlex
04-17-2010, 05:32 PM
You betcha!

Excel Book Collector Template (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC010162911033.aspx)

jemaher
04-19-2010, 11:52 AM
has anyone looked at the "intelliscanner" to catalogue?

jemaher
04-19-2010, 11:53 AM
organizing my collection is one of those new years resolutions which just never seems to get done........

Riostar
04-19-2010, 09:38 PM
I used the site Library thing. i like it cause it tells you how many other members have read the books on your list and can direct you to threads where they are discussing books that appear in your catalog.

Gris
04-20-2010, 06:20 AM
I'm a fan of, and using, Collectorz.com (http://www.collectorz.com/book/)'s book Database that Chooch mentioned earlier.

Yes, it costs $30, but the simple fact that it can scan multiple sources for book information automatically makes it completely worth it to me.

You enter and ISBN, Title, or Author and the program can search LoC, Amazon, Alibris, etc... to find information about the book, cover art, dates, pages, dimensions, etc...

You can also export your collection right to an HTML web page, or in my case, a CSV file I import into SQL to to generate THIS LIBRARY PAGE (http://books.allgris.com/default.aspx) of my own design that I wrote in C#/ASP.NET. Again, you can export direct to HTML from the program, so don't need to actually code anything if you don't want to.

It's 1 of 2 pieces of Shareware that I ever actually bought.

Best thing is you can use a barcode scanner to scan your collection and mass add them all and let the program just go to the internets to find all the info. I got a cheap USB barcode reader on eBay for $20 about 3 years ago when I got this software. It took my wife and I about a hour to get our ~1000 books into the program with all info populated.

jemaher
04-20-2010, 08:19 AM
now that sounds very cool!

pixiedark76
09-06-2010, 12:43 PM
I am not sure if this is the right place for this question. Does anyone use anything like Book Collector to catalog their books by way of the computer? I am on Library Thing (of course, because it is free) I love Library thing, but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I would like to have more than one place with a catalog of my books.

I have book collector version 6 and book collector connect. I think book collector connect is great, expect you can't print from it. (I like to have a printed list of my books so I have a hard copy instead of one you need to have access to a computer or the net.)

Earlier this week book collector announced version 7. From what I have see it looks great. I want to get it, but I have subscriptions to comic collector and comic collector connect already. This can be very pricey! I also have a subscription to comic price guide. These subscriptions can run $20 a pop.

Does any body use any of the above mentioned web sites to catalog their books? Which site do you think is best to use?

biomieg
09-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Personally, I use a simple Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my collection and my wishlist. Just text, no images. I also have a folder on my computer with images of the different items I own and others that I'm interested in (everything numbered according to Justin Brooks' Bibliography, yeah, I'm a scientist). I can see the value of a dedicated database either on the computer or online but for me, my 'archive' works fine.

But I'm sure there are others who used more advanced book software, let's wait for them to chime in!

jhanic
09-06-2010, 01:40 PM
I use an Excel spreadsheet also.

John

e_taylor
09-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Someday when I have time I plan to make a database in Microsoft Access complete with multiple pictures, scans, all bibliographic information, etc and displayed in proper AACR2 catalog card format (complete with Library of Congress subject entries, access points and call numbers).

ELazansky
09-06-2010, 03:20 PM
I am not sure if this is the right place for this question. Does anyone use anything like Book Collector to catalog their books by way of the computer? I am on Library Thing (of course, because it is free) I love Library thing, but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I would like to have more than one place with a catalog of my books.

I have book collector version 6 and book collector connect. I think book collector connect is great, expect you can't print from it. (I like to have a printed list of my books so I have a hard copy instead of one you need to have access to a computer or the net.)

Earlier this week book collector announced version 7. From what I have see it looks great. I want to get it, but I have subscriptions to comic collector and comic collector connect already. This can be very pricey! I also have a subscription to comic price guide. These subscriptions can run $20 a pop.

Does any body use any of the above mentioned web sites to catalog their books? Which site do you think is best to use?

I use bookTome - it is completely free and has no ads. I think it's great.

http://booktome.shanemca.com/

lophophoras
09-06-2010, 04:47 PM
I use Excel also. I keep records on two different computers and I usually put a copy on disc as well.

Room 217 Caretaker
09-06-2010, 05:27 PM
I purchased http://www.collectorz.com/book/ $40 (I think)

It's built on Access and completely customizable to my taste. I setup my copy for:

Title, Author, Format, Limited Edition #, Current Value, what I paid.

It also allows me to put in custom pictures, notes & tags.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/668/medium/Bool_Collectorz.PNG

Easy to use, easy to backup and store elsewhere.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Personally, I use a simple Excel spreadsheet.

I use an Excel spreadsheet also.

I use Excel also.

Me too.

Patrick
09-06-2010, 11:03 PM

Great question! There is a thread dedicated to exactly this topic here:

How to: Keep track of your books (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=814)

SkippyD023
09-07-2010, 04:23 AM
I purchased http://www.collectorz.com/book/ $40 (I think)

It's built on Access and completely customizable to my taste. I setup my copy for:

Title, Author, Format, Limited Edition #, Current Value, what I paid.

It also allows me to put in custom pictures, notes & tags.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/668/medium/Bool_Collectorz.PNG

Easy to use, easy to backup and store elsewhere.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

I use this software as well, thanks to a recommendation from Ralph, and I think it is excellent. I had started with a simple excel spreadsheet and then started to create an Access Database. The Collectorz software has everything already set-up for and lets you customize it as you see fit. If you are looking for something beyond a simple spreadsheet I would recommend taking a look at this product.

Brice
09-07-2010, 04:29 AM
I'm just not an organized type of person. It's enough for me to keep everything on my bookshelves in order.

Randall Flagg
09-07-2010, 05:31 AM
Great question! There is a thread dedicated to exactly this topic here:

How to: Keep track of your books (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=814)
I went ahead and moved these posts here.

biomieg
09-07-2010, 05:52 AM
I may give the Collectorz software a try. It's a Dutch product, after all.

kkemikk
09-07-2010, 12:23 PM
I may give the Collectorz software a try. It's a Dutch product, after all.

It's great. I'm using it over a year now and I love it. Upgraded to version 7 today :)

MikeDuke
09-09-2010, 03:56 AM
Add me to the Excel group. One Tab for the first ed. Ordered by year. One tab for the DT books and one tab for any dedicated special ed books I might get. Has worked good so far. In it I have the year, name of the book, price I paid, if I have read it or not, and how many copies were printed. If it is a limited I add in how many there were and what number I have.

Ari_Racing
10-03-2010, 07:51 PM
A friend of mine is developing a software to keep track of the books. I'll keep you updated with the results.

turtlex
10-04-2010, 02:46 AM
A friend of mine is developing a software to keep track of the books. I'll keep you updated with the results.

Oh, very cool. Are you giving them tips, Ari?!? Seems no matter what software program I find, there's always something about it that either stops me from buying it or it's just missing what I need it to do!

Ari_Racing
10-04-2010, 06:53 AM
Well....I'm helping him, so any suggestions you have, things that gotta be included, things to avoid, etc, are welcomed! :)

turtlex
10-04-2010, 06:59 AM
I would love something as simple as a check box or something to indicate an autographed copy !!!

jhanic
10-04-2010, 08:31 AM
As I've said before, I use an Excel spreadsheet for my King collection. I put the titles in bold that are signed.

John

Ari_Racing
10-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Yeap, there will be checkbox for signed by author, signed by illustrathor, dustjacket, first edition, print, etc

Randall Flagg
10-04-2010, 01:38 PM
Yeap, there will be checkbox for signed by author, signed by illustrathor, dustjacket, first edition, print, etc
Not sure if possible, but the check boxes could be drop down menus, and then have comment areas.

Ari_Racing
10-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Yeap, that's also possible

Any more suggestions?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
10-04-2010, 11:51 PM
I have a pretty good idea of what books I have, so I don't keep any list or anything. What I do need to do is keep a database of my DVD's. I have probably close to a thousand, and I am often buying duplicates.

pixiedark76
10-05-2010, 01:20 PM
There is a movie collector by the company collecterz.com. I have their book collector and comic collector and they are great.

gsvec
10-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Ari, are there fields for price, i.e., paid/value? Also date purchased and/or sold?

Ari_Racing
10-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Can be included, sure :)

king fan
12-08-2010, 11:26 AM
okay, so i'm very new to this site and to the world of book collecting. However, i do collect limited edition art prints (silkscreen, giclee, whatever). Their is a fantastic site that all of the print / poster junkies use out there called www.expressobeans.com That site literally keeps track of all sales and is basically ran by all the users. The users can add ebay auctions they find, personal sales or whatever. But it keeps track of everything people input in to it. I was thinking it would be very cool to have something similar for books, more specific just Stephen King (or related) books. Take a look and see what you all think? It would be very helpful to new collectors and old collectors.

This is in no way SPAM or solicitation for expressobeans. If i am doing something wrong in these forums feel free to remove my thread or tell me :)

Thoughts?

jhanic
12-08-2010, 12:11 PM
This is an interesting concept. I haven't yet visited the site you mentioned, but with the King "universe" there is such a large quantity of separate items that it would be very difficult to keep such information current. Also, the prices themselves can be very volatile. It may be worth a try, however.

John

king fan
12-08-2010, 12:17 PM
John,

If you visit the site, you will get more of an understanding. The site i mentioned literally has hundreds of thousands of different prints / posters. Many prints / posters have different variations. Printed on different paper, different edition size, much like SK books. I think it would be a big undertaking but would be very useful for all if it ever got up and running.

Randall Flagg
12-08-2010, 04:52 PM
http://www.expressobeans.com/public/search.php?text=stephen+king&class=0
A few things-none actual books all prints.
It would be a MASSIVE undertaking to do, but a fascinating concept.

Ari_Racing
02-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Alright.

First beta of the project is up and running:

http://www.shelfproud.com/

I invite all of you to test it, use it, stress, it, whatever. Suggestions, critics, questions, ANYTHING is very welcomed. You don't have to load your real books if you don't want to. Just try it and let me know your feedback.

Please send 'em to my email at arielracing at gmail dot com.

Much appreciated!

Patrick
02-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Hi Ari,

I just joined your site and added my first book. There are a couple spelling errors (e.g. "adquisitions" should be "acquisitions") , but aside from that:

1. "My Profile" shows my full real name and then my nickname in parentheses. Because it does not state otherwise, must I assume that every stranger who views my collection will also know my full real name? If others only see the nickname, the site should make that clear.

2. There should be a box to mark for "Limited Edition." This would be in addition to the other questions.

3. I would like to see a choice for "Inscribed to me" as those are special enough to differentiate from other flatsigned or inscribed to others.

4. I should not have to hunt to figure out how to be able "Add Another Book." Ideally I could do so from pretty much any screen. Right now I cannot do so while looking at a book nor while viewing my profile.

5. It appears that there is no way out of some of the pages except to use the browser's back button. I would prefer to see directional options on the screen.

6. Wishlist: I would like to add additional photo(s) - to show the limitation page or the inscription page, for example.

Overall it looks like a nice site. I'll add a couple more books and see how it goes, but I won't go full steam until I understand how to either block or delete my full real name from random strangers.

Good job so far!

jhanic
02-25-2011, 10:02 AM
I've joined your site and entered two books--the signed trade of Full Dark and the Scribner proof copy also. I'd like to see the following:

1. I'd like to see a different category for Gift editions.

2. I'd like to see a separate category for slipcase and traycase editions. For example, two editions of Lonely Road's Riding the Bullet, the gift and the limited, have a slipcase, while the lettered edition has a traycase. Right now, separate entries for each of these editions would essentially be identical.

3. I'd like to see a block in which we could make notes regarding the volume. As a proof enthusiast, I'd like to be able to, for example, differentiate among the three different UK proofs of Bag of Bones (the one with the holographic cover, the light green one and the gray one.) This block could also be used to specify the number of a numbered edition (I like to keep track of that, too!)

4. Perhaps an additional choice for the binding could be one for a mass-market paperback. And maybe one for an audio edition.

I didn't put in how much I paid for each book. I feel uncomfortable putting that information out on the web. I keep it in my Excel spreadsheet, along with who I bought the book from.

I'm sure I'll be adding to this list, but overall, it's pretty good. Better than a lot of the other ones I've looked at.

John

Patrick
02-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Good points, John.

Ari, I would like to be able to identify Country - to distinguish between US vs. UK editions of Firsts, Limiteds, Proofs, for example.

Randall Flagg
02-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Is there (I haven't joined yet), a place for the ISBN?

jhanic
02-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Not that I've been able to find.

John

Patrick
02-25-2011, 12:31 PM
There is a comment area when viewing your own or other people's items. I would like a comment/notes box on the same page when entering all the other data for a new book.

Hey John, I'm now "following" you on the site.

EDIT: More feedback below.

Ari, there is a drop down menu that has two choices:
Hard cover
Softcover

I would like to see three more choices on that drop down list:
Chapbook
Magazine
Comic Book

One other thing that I would like to see in order to truly embrace a database program for my collection: The ability to enter more than one author (at least two or three) separately and have the database recognize/cross-reference properly. For example: Postscripts 10 has a story written by both SK and Joe Hill. I would like to enter both names separately so that if I look up either my SK or my Joe Hill collection, the book would show up. I don't want to have to look up a "third" combined author name.

Same goes for anthologies like "Stories" which has different stories by different authors that I collect.

pmtarantino
02-25-2011, 09:12 PM
Hi everybody! I am Patricio. I have developed and designed ShelfProud all alone in the technical part. Ari is helping me with the collectors issues, anyway. But it's really hard when you have to code everything alone!

I have read all your suggestions. Thank you for all that.

The changes I have done for what you request:

- When you are seeing a profile, and if you are logged, you have a quick nav to my dashboard, add book, etc. So you dont have to go back with the browser button as someone said.
- Now there is a new section called explore, when you can see all the books and find friends and collectors, etc. In a near future there will be a search and an advanced search, too.
- There was some errors uploading pictures, they have been fixed :)
- Someone asked for privacy. In account settings, now you can select if your full name appears in your public profile :)
- Added "magazine" and "comic book" to the binding drop down :)
- Added checkbox "Limited Edition" for each book!

More:
- Added checkbox 'Gift Edition' for each book too.

I forgot to say I'll be working on some of the fields you were asking, as the textbox to write comments.

Patrick
02-26-2011, 12:50 AM
Bienvenidos Patricio!

Thanks for all your effort in building the database website. I know nothing about coding, so I am impressed by anyone who does it. Keep up the good work!

jhanic
02-26-2011, 04:51 AM
Thanks, Patricio! Works lots better!

John

Patrick
02-26-2011, 09:28 AM
I toyed with a little since the upgrades and I agree with John. That was a fast turnaround!

Any chance of adding a Chapbook option to the binding drop down?

Also a Country of Origin box would be useful when you get around to it, although I suppose the publishing company info could be used to distinguish.

Thanks again, Patricio.
- Patrick

pmtarantino
02-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Thanks for your welcome :) And your kind words.

I have added chapbook in the binding dropdown. The country (language) option will be available in next days, as the ISBN field.

Another thing I've added: the multiple authors. Separated by comma, and the system will recognize them as differents persons (for stats, for example).

Patrick
02-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Sweet! Looking forward to checking it out later, especially the multiple author functionality.

Randall Flagg
02-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Can you add (member view only, unless they wish to share), acquisition date, price, and sell date and price?

pmtarantino
02-27-2011, 06:03 PM
Thanks Patrick.

Randall, the adquisition date and price is already there. Is private and it's only for private stats.

The sell date and price won't be soon because the idea is to upload only the books you have and not the ones you had. At least that's the idea now, I dont know if in the future will be the same or I am going to change that (:

Patrick
03-02-2011, 02:03 AM
Patricio,

Not a high priority, but "Adquisitions" should be spelled, "acquisitions."

:)

pmtarantino
03-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Oh sorry, fixed that.

And I added a new feature :) Enter the ISBN number and the system will recognise the title book (of course, it can be modified if you are not satisfied with the title suggested!)

Randall Flagg
09-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Would some kind person provide me with an excel spreadsheet that they use to keep track of books, promo items, art, etc.? Rather than reinvent the wheel, I was hoping for help.

mattgreenbean
09-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Just discovered ShelfProud, sweet! Past few years I've been using google docs to access my collection catalog away from home.

ELazansky
09-04-2012, 12:51 PM
I sent you an email

Patrick
09-04-2012, 04:33 PM
Alright.

First beta of the project is up and running:

http://www.shelfproud.com/

I invite all of you to test it, use it, stress, it, whatever. Suggestions, critics, questions, ANYTHING is very welcomed. You don't have to load your real books if you don't want to. Just try it and let me know your feedback.

Please send 'em to my email at arielracing at gmail dot com.

Much appreciated!
I just tried to log back into that website after a long break since we all provided initial feedback. I cannot remember my password and there is no "Forgot Password" option.

Brice
09-05-2012, 06:39 PM
I have the same problem.

Randall Flagg
09-07-2012, 11:22 AM
I now have an Excel sheet that has the following filterable input fields, what am I missing?

· Title
· Author
* Artist
· Publisher
· Place of Publication
· Editor
· Copyright Date
· Issue Price
· Edition
· Category
· ISBN
· Limitation #
· Cover Type
· Pages
· Condition
· Shelf Location
· Notes
· Purchase Date
· Purchase Price
· Sale Price
· Profit/Loss

Merlin1958
09-07-2012, 12:38 PM
I'd say you pretty much nailed it, RF!!! Much more detailed than mine anyway!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

jhanic
09-07-2012, 12:39 PM
I have a column that shows the print run of the first edition, if I know it. It comes in handy occasionally.

I also have columns that tell me when I receive it and from whom I bought it.

John

Merlin1958
09-07-2012, 12:46 PM
He's got the purchase dates, John, but the "Who" might be worthwhile though he has a "Notes" column. You guys never cease to impress!!!!

Very organized!!! Cool beans!!!

jhanic
09-07-2012, 12:50 PM
I have a separate column for the purchase date and one for the receive date. I don't know why, but it just seems right to me.

John

Merlin1958
09-07-2012, 12:51 PM
I have a separate column for the purchase date and one for the receive date. I don't know why, but it just seems right to me.

John

Ahh yeah, makes sense. That way you also have a record on seller's. Good one.

Brice
09-08-2012, 06:52 AM
And I am still organized strictly on my waning memory. LOL

Room 217 Caretaker
09-08-2012, 07:37 AM
Jerome

I think your selection list is good. John's additional ideas are good too.

I use a program called Book Collectorz purchased from collectorz.com

As seen in the picture below, I like it because it allows me to add pictures to my database. The program backbone....Microsoft Access. It also allows me to use over 70 canned fields or add my own custom named fields.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/668/medium/Collectorz_com_Picture.JPG

The price for the program???? I think was around $25. I used to use Excel, but I really liked the format of this software.

Again, excellent list Jerome. I love your field "shelf location". Just had to laugh at that. Shelf 3 (located not in room 1, 2 or 3, but in room 4). I think Bob may need this feature added to his database...haha

Mulleins

Brice
09-08-2012, 08:30 AM
Wow, I like the look of that site.

Room 217 Caretaker
09-08-2012, 09:40 AM

It's an actual software program on my Windows box, not a web based program. They do offer an online type program/storage, I went with the more traditional software solution.

Brice
09-08-2012, 09:43 AM
Gotcha! I'd consider getting it, but ultimately I know I'm too damn lazy to key all the stuff in. LOL

TwistedNadine
09-08-2012, 10:18 AM

It's an actual software program on my Windows box, not a web based program. They do offer an online type program/storage, I went with the more traditional software solution.

Thanks for the tip - Like this one and think Ill try it out

Randall Flagg
09-08-2012, 11:42 AM
I looked at a trial version of the software. Shit, it's great in numerous ways, except one.....I would need thirty days, 8 hours a day to create mine. Ouch!

Room 217 Caretaker
09-08-2012, 11:54 AM
It took me a while to key/log everything in, that is true. But honestly, it revealed one major thing to me. Yep, I'm a sick collector with NO HOPE in sight.

Which reminds me.....I'm running late for my required...SBCA (Sick Book Collectors Anonymous) meeting.

ME: Hi, I'm Ralph and I have a sickness

Group: Hello Ralph

Mulleins

Brice
09-08-2012, 12:14 PM
:lol:

Actually this might be ideal for me IF I buy one of the scanners too. I'd only have to manually key in the odd promo stuff...if that's possible.

biomieg
09-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Collectorz.com is a Dutch company. I've looked at their software in the past and thought it was great, but I did not purchase it at the time. Now I'm reconsidering.

Dan
09-08-2012, 01:06 PM
I looked at this before, but I need to be able to add via iPad. That is a deal breaker for me. Anyone know if it will? All I can find is that you can export to your iPad and view the collection, not modify it.

Brice
09-08-2012, 01:11 PM
I would guess you could, but I'm not certain.

biomieg
09-08-2012, 01:18 PM
I looked at this before, but I need to be able to add via iPad. That is a deal breaker for me. Anyone know if it will? All I can find is that you can export to your iPad and view the collection, not modify it.

They sell the 'CLZ app' for mobile devices which you can use to import and view your collection on an iPad, but in the FAQ (under 'support') they specifically state that you can't use it to edit your data. That's really too bad...

Dan
09-08-2012, 01:29 PM

They sell the 'CLZ app' for mobile devices which you can use to import and view your collection on an iPad, but in the FAQ (under 'support') they specifically state that you can't use it to edit your data. That's really too bad...

Thanks. I thought I had looked all over the site, but hadn't seen that actually written. It is a bummer because if I could use the iPad to update, it would be perfect.

stkmw02
09-08-2012, 01:48 PM
I currently just log my books on shelfari, but don't really put any specific information on it. I use to have software to catalog everything, but when my laptop crashed nothing remained backed up... so I won't rely on that sort of thing again.

Brice
09-08-2012, 02:02 PM
I do have a section on shelfproud (I think that''s the name), but haven't had time to upload stuff yet.

herbertwest
09-21-2012, 12:56 PM
excel...

herbertwest
10-07-2012, 04:06 AM
Jerome

I think your selection list is good. John's additional ideas are good too.

I use a program called Book Collectorz purchased from collectorz.com

As seen in the picture below, I like it because it allows me to add pictures to my database. The program backbone....Microsoft Access. It also allows me to use over 70 canned fields or add my own custom named fields.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/668/medium/Collectorz_com_Picture.JPG

The price for the program???? I think was around $25. I used to use Excel, but I really liked the format of this software.

Again, excellent list Jerome. I love your field "shelf location". Just had to laugh at that. Shelf 3 (located not in room 1, 2 or 3, but in room 4). I think Bob may need this feature added to his database...haha

Mulleins

I am considering buying it (the pro version, as it seems to allows more customization)

herbertwest
01-31-2013, 04:47 AM
This message is from october. I still plan to do it. I'll be testing the trial version first, then probably buy the pro version.

pmtarantino
02-01-2013, 11:01 AM
You could check shelfproud.com, it's free

Brice
02-01-2013, 11:30 AM
How to keep track of your books:

Mail them all to me! :P

[/thread]

herbertwest
02-03-2013, 09:24 AM
You could check shelfproud.com, it's free

There are MANY, MANY, MANY online services. ie : goodreads, booknote, babelio (french)...
And collectorz.com have their own online service. But i spent 5mins there and had a few online errors and dont seem to be giving as much customisation as the software.
There i dont think i'll be using their online version, but i am likely to continue with the software (which i tried so far, i am quite happy with it... although their UX could be improved).
Still plenty books to enter into it!

shelfproud.com : they only have 47 "likes" on their facebook page, while collectors have over 30,000. To me that shows that shelfproud online presence is not that great, and who knows if they are not going to close it one day?

What do i see on the homepage of their website?
http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/3352/sanstitreriz.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/sanstitreriz.png/)

Brice
02-04-2013, 06:39 AM
Isn't Ari one of the admins for Shelfproud?

remyzaguan
07-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Thank you guys for turning me on to ShelfProud! It's awesome. I just started on it and I'm loving it!

M_O_O_N
09-17-2019, 02:39 PM
After six years I'm wondering if anyone has an update as to what you are using to track your books.

Garrell
09-18-2019, 08:53 AM
Got a collectorz account yesterday.....so busy now.....

M_O_O_N
09-18-2019, 09:11 AM
Which collectorz account did you choose? mobile app, desktop software or web app?

Garrell
09-18-2019, 09:36 AM
Mobile app. Easier and cheaper, I use my Ipad for everything

Randall Flagg
09-18-2019, 12:31 PM
Stroppygoblin was working on an iPhone app, but I believe it's on the back burner.

Garrell
09-18-2019, 12:40 PM
I know my collection by heart pretty much. Cataloging it for insurance purpose if needed and if something happened to me before the wife, she has an idea what is what and value

M_O_O_N
09-18-2019, 12:42 PM
... if something happened to me before the wife, she has an idea what is what and value

Same reason here. Come to think of it. It was the her idea... Hmmm.

Brian861
09-28-2019, 09:19 AM
Bookcases.

amd013
10-08-2019, 08:51 AM
Just read through this thread. I developed an access file to keep track of mine, but wanted to compare some of these others as well. I see one that was mentioned back around 2011 or 2012, shelfproud.com is no longer active. Has it moved?

SystemCrashOverRide
10-08-2019, 10:07 AM
I picked up the Collectorz phone app (CLZ Books) just this week, based on this thread, and it's been fun cataloging the collection.

137 books by King himself, and probably another 30-40 that part of the "King collection" that are related to him in some way. Not including stuff by Owen or Joe.

fitomad
11-11-2020, 07:43 AM
The app below is only for iPhone or iPad users

http://shelves.desappstre.com/

Joe315
11-11-2020, 08:44 PM
I use Bookpedia which is Mac only. They have a companion app for iPhone that lets you use the phone as a barcode scanner. They’ve built their own database of books that is constantly being updated.

https://www.bruji.com/bookpedia/

Brian861
11-12-2020, 08:37 AM
I use Bookpedia which is Mac only. They have a companion app for iPhone that lets you use the phone as a barcode scanner. They’ve built their own database of books that is constantly being updated.

When you use the app on your phone, does it create a list on the phone via the app or is the barcode scanner feature just to add it to your Mac?

Joe315
11-12-2020, 08:50 PM

When you use the app on your phone, does it create a list on the phone via the app or is the barcode scanner feature just to add it to your Mac?

Either. The phone app syncs with your computer for the database as well as the scanner or it can be used as stand alone app.

Brian861
11-13-2020, 08:10 AM

Either. The phone app syncs with your computer for the database as well as the scanner or it can be used as stand alone app.

:thumbsup: